Atralin Tretinoin (.05%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Atralin

Atralin Tretinoin (.05%) Gel

Works to a degree

Going to be straight to the point. It will clear you up about 60%. It will destroy your skin for the first couple months though. Use it at night only, and sparringly. DO NOT put it near your mouth or eyes because those areas will forsurely peel uncontrollably. Use coconut oil as a moisturizer, and tea tree oil (dilute with water) as a toner. Those two things will help A LOT!! If you have some cash, go out and buy the ZAP kit by Saje. You will only need to use this cream once to twice a week then. Also, the moisturizer by Holista called Tea Tree and Vitamin E oil will save your skin from break outs and dryness. Use it at bedtime, after your night care routine, or after you use the retinoid cream.

Comments

Good product for moderate acne

I like this product. I had been using Retin-A Micro which was working fine but it left some dry patches on my skin. When I told my dermatologist she prescribed me Atralin in place of the Retin-A Micro. I think they work about the same but the Atralin doesn't leave dry patches on my skin - unless I get it near my bottom lip, but even then it's no big deal. Of course, my skin is still a bit flaky the next morning but that is just what tretinoin does. I like the consistency of this product - it is very easy to apply, and once it dries, it is very easy to apply lotion on top of it. It also helps blemishes go away more quickly. The reason I only give it 4 stars is because it does not keep me completely clear. I still get a few breakouts on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. So, this product certainly hasn't been a miracle for me, but It has worked better than the MANY others I've tried so I'm going to keep using it. A few notes: It does make your face look shiny after applied, but that should not be a huge problem because your dermatologist will most likely have you use it at night only. Secondly, this product contains fish protein ("fish collagen hydrolyzates") so if you're allergic to fish this might not be a good product for you.

Help!

Wow, what a disaster. I went to the Derm because of my excessively oily skin and the occasional breakout. Nothing that I would have gone through this for. Within the first week of use my skin broke out on every square inch of where I applied this product. My skin which was once smooth with very few problems (sometimes not even a pimple), now covered, I mean COVERED, in bumps. Literally looks like gravel on my skin. I've read several posts and reviews, trying to stay positive and continue use, thinking this was just my skins initial reaction and that my skin is just "purging". It has been a month and literally looking in the mirror makes me want to cry. My skin is red, inflamed, painful, tight and covered in bumps and whiteheads. I wish I'd never started using this medication. I am not even sure if it will actually eventually clear my skin. Total hell. I feel like it is a waste if I discontinue use as I have come this far but please be aware: if you are using this to tame a few minor breakouts and don't want to possibly be TOTALLY broken out for over a month, I'd steer clear.

This is the beautiful "purge" period. It sucks horrendously and completely ruins your self esteem. I know it all to well. You can survive this period by a) using coconut oil as a moisturizer and b) using tea tree oil as a toner. both of these things have antibacterial properties and help counteract the "purge" period. Also, vitamin E oil is great for the super dry patches.

Against acne or pro acne ?

This prescribed gel , i supposed it was created to treat acne. But...it seems to me that actually makes it worst. First thing...you're not supposed to apply this thing during daylight or near any kind of light. You have to transform yourself into a vampire and use this only before going to sleep. The next day, week, weeks and one month your face is going to be the same. Or worst, in my case. Remember ....don't apply it during the day, your skin is going to turn very red, on top of your acne. I understand that before it gets better, it gets worst. Well with this thing the ''better'' part never comes. Does it clog the pores ? Possible. It's very oily and if you have acne you're not supposed to apply any oily, greasy things on your face. This thing is based on Vitamin E. The worst thing to apply on your acne. Swallow Vitamin E, works for acne, but don't apply it to your face. In 2-3 days it dries existing spots, but you will get more because this gel ''takes all the bacteria on the surface in order to clear everything''. My dermatologist told me that. Save your money and your time.

Comments

Best form of tretinoin you can use!

Tretinoin is clinically proven to clear acne. The formulation of the drug is extremely important, and Atralin is formulated PERFECTLY. A .05 concentration of tretinoin isn't too strong, or too weak. Instead of other gels which have alcohol denat in them (which can be irritating), this has a much more tolerable alcohol in it. Not to mention it's other good for your skin ingredients like fish collagen hydrolyzates and glycerine. Overall, this is the best thing I have ever used for acne, and I'm never going to stop using it. It's that good.

August 14

I live in Kampala Uganda where the air is very dirty and tends to clog up my pores like you would not imagine. My dermatologist gave me this and aczone i really like the aczone but atralin makes my face extremely oily and i have been scared to try it sense.

Say no to the drugs

I have always had acne through my teenage years; however, once I turned 20 I started getting painful cysts strictly on my chin. It was a constant thing for a good 7 months until I went to see a dermatologist who put me on aczone twice a day and atralin once at night. I have been taking it for 3 months and my face has got nothing but worse! My chin still continues to break out. My face overall is SO OILY and I do not have oily skin. My chin is constantly peeling and breaking and red. ALSO, since starting the antibiotics, my face has been SUPER sensitive. It's been nothing but unwanted stress!! . The only plus is that it has somewhat helped fading red marks-- but barely. Unfortunately, it is all a trial and error. Everyone is different. Eat lots of fruits and veggies! I strongly believe that's the only solution.

ask about accutane I was also putt n atropin, and aczone in the past (among others) and then accutane. i have perfectly clear skin now and it's permeant results. Plus, Im on atralin now for post accutane skin. It's for after accutane
Whatever you do, DO NOT EVER USE ACCUTANE. THAT DRUG SHOULD BE ILLEGAL AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW ANY DOCTOR WOULD PRESCRIBE IT. IT IS THE WORST THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. YOU MIGHT AS WELL DRINK A CUP OF POISON

Would recommend to others with mild acne

Clear gel Not too expensive Lasts for a long time Irritates in dry weather I started using this about two years ago on and off. I'm 22 and a college student so I move back and forth from my home which is a dry, arid dessert to the coast where my college is. I found out after regular use to use it in humid climates and I really see a change in my face. I get much fewer breakouts and rarely need moisturizing cream. On the other hand whenever I tried using it at home, my skin would become very irritable with painful breakouts. So back home I only used a benzoyl peroxide cream. But definitely would recommend for moderate acne in the face.

Face Smoothing results

I have struggled with moderate-severe acne since the age of 15 and I am currently 23. I had tried everything and anything with little to no results. I finally decided to go to a different dermotalogist and they recommended a combination of Cerave Face wash morning and night, Aczone in the morning with Cerave moisturizer, and then Atralin in the evening with the moisturizer. When I first started using I could already see a difference in my face. It is so smooth. The breakouts were up and down for the first month but once I hit the third my face really began to clear up with only a few red bumps here and there. I am so happy I finally might have found what will clear me of this!! It's definitely something you have to be patient for but it really works!

I totally agree with you....patience is key here. I am a 50 year old Hispanic woman who has extremely oily skin and mild to moderate acne. This summer, my skin got very ANGRY and with that I headed to my derm. She put me on Atralin .05% at night and Onexton in the morning. Well, this combination worked!!!!!! After about 3 weeks, I started seeing positive results. I hope it continues to work.

Moisturizing Treatment

Moisturizing Makes Appearance of Skin Better Doesn't help prevent them I tried this product along with others with my skin treatment regimen. This product is moisturizing in a way and makes the skin appear smooth and soft. Helps clear up existing pimples but, not so much prevent them from my experience. For, me however I use Atralin at night and use Aczone in the morning. They work together to give the clear skin I want.

Comments

couldn't quite stick it out

causes more breakouts irritated/flakey skin for a few weeks After about 3 months of suffering terrible breakouts after I started this gel, I decided I just couldn't do it anymore. I was getting deep, painful pimples that were leaving scars and I wasn't seeing improvement anytime soon.

Best treatment for me.

Clears skin Smooths skin Good for long-term use (anti-aging propterties) First few months can cause bad breakouts and severely dry skin I started using Atralin last October after using Epiduo for 6 months (which did nothing for me except make my skin incredibly greasy). The first 3 months with this were TERRIBLE - my face broke out more than ever and I had the worst flaky skin. I barely wanted to look at myself in the mirror. I stuck it out, because the next step was Accutane...and I only wanted to take that if I absolutely had to. After toughing it through those 3 months, my skin gradually began to improve. I have now reached a point where my skin barely ever breaks out. I no longer have large breakouts or any of the tiny bumps that were once all over my face. I don't have to wear makeup. It hasn't even been a year and my skin is completely different in the very best way. Full disclosure: I use Atralin at night and Aczone in the morning combined with Ortho Tri Cyclen and Spironolactone 100mg. I didn't start breaking out until I was 22 (until then my skin was pretty much perfect). I tried a number of things before I found a combination that worked for me - patience is a must!

Guest Ritzy
Guest Ritzy

At nights I take an antibiotic called Bactrim in addition to the Atralin gel. Before I apply the gel I wash my face with Purpose (which I highly recommend instead of Cetaphil). In the morning I take Spironolactone, a testosterone blocker for hormonal acne, and use Clindamycin pledgets (more effective than the gel version). The first two weeks of using Atralin my face broke out significantly. But, I've used this product before and I expected this to happen knowing that it would soon get better and it did after about a month, its still not all the way there yet. If you do break out BareMinerals foundation works much better than liquid foundation and it allows the skin to breathe. Your skin might be dry so use a moisturizer (I use Neutrogena SPF 30) and then apply a primer. Overall, this routine works for me. In order for Atralin to work you and your dermatologist need to figure out the right combination of products for your skin. I see many complaints about the gel not taking effect, the product may be colliding with your choice of make-up or moisturizer. Experiment with different products until you find the right one. It will take a lot of trial and error, but once you figure it out it will be gratifying.

Guest Cathy
Guest Cathy

Feels good on skin Doesn't dry my skin too much Doesn't make skin oily No burning Improves skin texture and tone Peeling on the side of my mouth for the first few days I am taking Doxy and using this at the same time. I take Doxy twice a day and I put Atralin on at night before I go to sleep and I also put CeraVe PM moisturizer over it. My skin has improved overall and my redness and acne (on cheeks, chin, forehead, sides) are slowly fading. It times time. But this is better then Differin. This feels so much better on your skin and it doesn't burn (doesn't burn at all!) or dry your skin too much. I love how it improves my skin texture and is also getting rid of my acne at the same time.

Comments

Can help smooth skins texture Easy to use Extreme Dryness Purging period lasts and lasts an lasts The wait time from cleansing to applying Atralin to moisturizing is a pain While this may work for others, after four months of continued use, it never worked for me. I just kept on breaking out and it never stopped. I would clear up in one area and breakout in another area. There was a point in week 10 when i had 1 pimple and thought 'yes, its finally working!' but Alas, it was an illusion. At the end of the day i was left with: uneven skin tone multiple acne lesions excessive dryness and flaking The only positives i can say about this medication is that my skin texture on non-acne area was smooth.

Guest K
Guest K

Clears acne, smooths skin and fades dark spots (over time) Takes a long time to work I have been on atralin along with finacea for about 4 months. My derm just added finacea about a month ago. I have to say that my skin is a lot smoother I have been having less break outs and my marks are fading slowly but surely. I would definitely recommend using these to products together.

Comments

did not irritate skin made skin extremely oily, hair loss along temples/hairline The consistency and appearance of Atralin is exactly the same as RAM, even though it's supposedly a gel vs. cream. It absorbed more easily and was less irritating than RAM though it's a bit stronger. I used it for seven months. About three months in, I had noticeable hair loss along my hairline and temples. I was not ingesting or applying any other medication at the time. This is unlikely to happen to most people, but if you are sensitive to hair loss issues, be aware of this possibility. (For instance, I can't take BC or Spiro because of this sensitivity). It also made my face ridiculously oily (blotting every half hour) and never cleared. It was so uncomfortable. Given the insane price and ineffectiveness, I can't recommend it. I went back to the .025 gel, which never worked much before but at least it made me less oily, with dietary changes and am waiting for my hairline to recover. Good luck.

Comments

-helped clear up moderate acne -not very irritating -smoothed out skin texture -didn't make skin dry -never cleared up my skin 100% -sometimes makes my skin look greasy -occasional redness Was prescribed Atralin along with Acanya, a antibiotic. Acne on my chin/jaw area got a lot better with the two. Did not experience an initial breakout, probably because the product is very gentle. Started to see results in 2 or 3 weeks. I have been using it for nearly 6 months and it doesn't seem to be as effective, but my skin is still MUCH better than when I started it. Now I feel comfortable with my skin

I have been using ACANYA for around 3-4 months now, and it has been pretty well so far, but recently, during the winter break I started like breaking out again, I was prescribed Atralin 2 months ago, but did not use it. Based on this review I think I will give it a try. Hpefully I will get some good results.
Guest Crystal
Guest Crystal

Clears up mild/moderate acne well. Non-drying like other retinoids. Keeps skin soft. Can cause redness, but not enough to be a big deal. This stuff is simply amazing! I use it once a day, before bed at night. I put it all over my face. After 2 months of using it, the pores on my nose are slowly starting to disappear (you know the ones that look like sprinkled pepper). I honestly was NOT expecting that at all! (I thought I'd have those little buggers for life!). My skin feels smooth and I've had absolutely no flaking with Atralin. I recommend this to anyone who suffers from mild - moderate acne. And yes, it will get worse before it gets better. Hang in there, it's worth it! My Derm gave me a coupon so I only have a $25 copay for this RX.

Popular Topical