Almay Smart Shade Foundation Reviews

Brand: Almay

Almay Smart Shade Foundation

Uh

Way to light coverage. I have scars and need more coverage.

Dry Skin

By far the best I've tried. I have a rare case of dry skin + acne, yet this Almay product does its work perfectly as a light foundation that doesn't cause any breakouts. However I must add that at times, when my skin is too dry, the product will look flakey. Therefor, people with dry skin should must use a good moisturizer before using/reviewing this foundation.

Works perfectly for me

I used this product because I remembered hearing about it on this site. I personally love it. I have very fair skin, but the shade and coverage work well. It also stays on my skin and doesn't start to look cakey during the day, like my previous makeup did. It doesn't break me out, and used with the concealer I get the perfect amount of coverage.

Great makeup!

I tried this per Dan's recommendation. It offers decent enough covereage, though I still need concealer for spot treatment coverage. The whole "smart shade" thing is a gimmick (color releases from the beads as you crush the little granules while rubbing the foundation in your palms or on your face...it gets darker giving the impression that it is "matching your skin"...No, the whit granules are releasing color). Gimmicks aside, this is one of the very few foundations that doesn't break me out. That alone earns a 5 star rating from me since almost everything breaks me out. I wish a little more product came in the bottle though. I might try the other Almay foundations in bigger bottles since Dan mentioned all of Almay caters to acne prone skin.

Comments

does not break out skin Product is : non-comedogenic and oil free does not match skin color (too dark) This is a good product for those with problematic skin that breaks out easily. It goes on 'white' and when blended in it will start to become darker to match your skin tone. I used the lightest shade that it came in and it still did not match my skin tone. My skin is pretty fair and it was pretty noticeable ( did not have a natural look at all). Perhaps next time I use it, less is more. I really like Almay products though and i think it is for the most part free of ingredients that harm and break out skin.

Guest Me
Guest Me

Natural Look Matched my shade Doesn't cause breakouts Not a lot of coverage Dislike rubbing foundation in to broken out areas of face I had been stippling creamy foundations previously, which provide lots of coverage, but it felt suffocating sometimes, and i was afraid it may be causing some pimples so i bought this for a change, off of Dan's recommendation. It amazingly did match my skin tone, which rarely happens. But, it didn't completley mask redness and the redness of pimples like my stippling did. Next time if i use more smart shade concealer it might be better. Overall, its an ok product. Does the job, but not amazing. Im sticking with it because it wont break me out.

Guest Karen
Guest Karen

-matches my fair skin color well without looking super pale -light coverage--doesn't feel heavy, but enough coverage to even out my skin tone and hide my pores -dries my skin out--makes my face super flaky -when you get to the bottom of the tube the color can get weird and way dark my favorite makeup I've tried so far, but the flakiness it causes means I will probably keep looking. If you don't have dry skin it will probably work great for you.

Guest Jessica
Guest Jessica

Creamy texture goes on smooth won't create new acne (as far as I can tell) Goes on white but turns into your shade (just like the product disclaimer) Easily blendable breathable coverage is pretty mild (so I recommend using Smart Shade concealer too) a bit pricey I started to use this simply because it was recommened by Acne.org by Mr. DK himself. I was a little skeptical at first because after reading reviews users were stating the coverage is pretty light. Not good if you have any acne :( But I pushed my feeling aside and bought it solely on the purpose that this makeup won't make me breakout further. This makeup has not created new acne, as far as I can tell. I have minor breakouts but just started the acne.org regimen also ~ so hopefully those will clear up soon too. I would say give it a shot but again pair it up with the smart shade concealer (if your looking for more coverage).

Comments

it moisturizes i feel like im using a lotion not a foundation. i have to rub for so long just to get the color to come out. the color doesn't even match me how it said it would. i see way too much whiteness afterwords pretty much i would only say to use this if you don't have any acne. not even scars. this has zero coverage. it moisturizes really good but as far as doing what foundation is supposed to it? ehh

Comments

A lightweight formula. This product will not break you out! It works great with my pale skin. It will become cakey if you use too much. You have to learn how to apply the proper amount to your skin, especially if you are fair skinned like me. Con for some: This is NOT for severe acne, only mild or scars. I'm a guy and I love using this product! I am very pale skinned so I was very worried the concealer would be too dark for my skin, but with the proper amount spread evenly it blends very nicely! I had awful acne as a teenager, which left me with a bit of deep scarring. Let me be the first to sound vain and say that I am an attractive person (as most of us are, even with acne!), but my acne scars have always bothered me. Now, with the daily taking of zinc and omega-3 vitamins (plus, my multivitamin) and using this product my acne scars have decreased dramatically, giving me a much smoother skin tone! Again, I would not recommend this product for those who have severe acne. It doesn't cover up well enough to completely hide huge breakouts. If you have severe acne I'd recommend taking vitamins, especially zinc to help calm down your breakouts. It helps a lot! Also, cake on that benzoyl peroxide when you go to bed everynight! You have NO IDEA how much this helps you NOT breakout until you try it! I wash my face only at night (in the shower with an exfoliating cleanser containing salycic acid), and lightly dab in the morning to clear away the benzoyl peroxide. This routine has kept me quite clear for years. I also use Vaseline Total Moisture Conditioning lotion nightly. A great, light lotion with pro-vitamins A, E, and B5, which have also helped my face look much healthier. Thanks for reading!

Comments

--I didn't spend too much money on it, got it on sale. --Color matched my skin tone pretty well. --LIGHT coverage --Expensive..otherwise --Streaky/cakey --End up using a lot of product at one time --Not a whole lot of shades to choose from I bought this foundation because I heard a lot about it and thought "why not?" The coverage isn't all that great, it's more for a person who has very light acne. If you're looking for coverage this is NOT the foundation for you. I found myself applying it a few times through out the day because the coverage didn't last long. I liked the "color beads" that blend into your skin, it matched me spot on but I know it's not for everyone considering there aren't very many shades.

Guest Megan
Guest Megan

Non-irritating, won't clog pores, doesn't cause breakouts. Light coverage (a con for some). Did not match skin tone, lightest shade too dark for fair skin. Requires thorough blending. If you want a light coverage foundation that won't break you out (and you aren't super fair skinned), it's worth a try.

Comments

Very good for fair skin,has spf,provides a good coverage Can't think of any I like this Foundation :) Which I was surprised about as I hadn't used this Brand before.It works well,blends well and stays on oily skin

Comments

Not too many for me. The makeup has terrible coverage and shows every imperfection meant to be hidden. The color is very very off in every shade. It does not blend well with other makeups and is streaky, greasy and doesn't last throughout the day. Definitely not worth the money!!

Comments

Super light and not irritating .I usually see little bumps the day after using an irritating foundation. I highly recommend using the conclear, i think it works amazing along with foundation. It is a bit streaky,but with good blending this can be a great foundation. Should only be used if your skin is not dry and only have a few pimples left and red marks. Not recommended for those who need more coverage. I thought,however that i would need more coverage, bc i have red marks,hyperpigmentation and freckles, but it did a great job at evening that out. And if i needed more coverage i think the concelear is great for everything, even for dark circles. (bought this buy one,get one free)

Comments

Won't break you out Shade is always a little "off"...i tried both fair to light and light to medium in the foundation and both gave my skin a grayish, lifeless look...the blush is perfect, though, and i use that on top of different foundations, that's why i gave this a 2 instead of a 1 except for the blush, the whole "the foundations magically match your skin color!" thing was too good to be true for me

Comments

Non-irritating, hypoallergenic natural looking foundation. This stuff doesn't burn or itch, and it goes on well over topical acne medications. Provides light coverage with spf from zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Doesn't aggravate acne prone skin. Doesn't settle into scars, large pores, or fine lines. I love this stuff. It's not a full coverage foundation, which I think is a "pro", but some people might want more coverage from their foundation. If you like a light coverage natural looking foundation, give this a try. This is a great foundation, imo. For easier application, I don't dot it on like the package recommends, but I squirt a blob into my hand and "activate" the color beads by rubbing my hands together, then I apply it with both hands to my face. Goes on quickly and easily without the little beads settling into pores (which it can do if you dot it on). I recommend this for anyone who has picky skin and who may be using topical acne medications.

Popular Foundation