Aknemycin Plus Erythromycin (4%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Solution Reviews

Aknemycin Plus Erythromycin (4%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Solution

Worst acne medicine I've ever been on

Two stars only because I like the way the bottle works for application. I used this for almost a year and I had absolutely no improvement. If anything, my acne became even worse. Aknemycin made my skin oily at itchy, not to mention it also smelled awful and if you accidentally get some on your lips, you'll be tasting it for the next couple of hours. Also if you have any open wounds (from a recently popped pimple or even from shaving) this medicine STINGS like no other. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Aknemycin

I've tried just about everything over the years. Roaccutane helped a lot and lasts unlike anti-biotics. When I do get the odd breakout i used to use Isotrexin Gel as instructed by my derm. (not had to use it for years) Right now that is not available in the UK so my doc prescribed me this. I noticed an improvement within 48 hours. I guess retinoids just suit my skin type. What i must stress is that LESS IS MORE with retinoids. They do dry out the skin and that can make things worse. I was advised to use it once a day, a thin covering on effected areas, and not everyday. If your skin feels really dry take a day off. Let your skin adjust and get used to it. Then you can build up the frequency to everyday, then twice a day if your skin is reacting well and needs more. Go slowly and the results can be really good with these type of treatments. My wife doesn't even realise I used to have bad acne problems :) I hope this advice helps.

Comments

No blackheads Made me breakout Red, really dry, painful skin ~ Don't use it for one day and skin becomes incredibly oily Did nothing for current spots Unless you have light acne or very light acne, don't bother using it, it really did nothing for me at all.

Guest Lily
Guest Lily

Cheap (NHS prescription in the UK) Made my acne worse, still after 6 weeks Months after I had to stop taking the Dianette which had worked wonders for my back and chest acne, my skin got gradually worse again. My GP prescriped me the Aknemycin Plus topical solution. Quite difficult to apply to the back, I tried it anyway and didn't see any positive effects so far. In the last few weeks, I realised that my skin got even worse, I have new angry red pimples which I didn't experience that badly before. People often write about initial bad outbreaks and then an improvement but so far I have been taking this stuff for 6 weeks now and there are no signs of improvement whatsoever, just the opposite. My skin is in such a state that I'll go to a specialist next and will ask for Accutane. Aknemycin seems to work for some, maybe it depends on how severe the acne is. So please don't be discouraged, it might help you, I just wanted to add that this was not the case for me.

Guest Nathan
Guest Nathan

Easy to use as it is in a roll on container and skin overall looks alot healthier and feels very smooth Skin slightly dry and can feel tight but nothing I can't handle. I have been using this for the past month with Erythromycin and I can tell you my skin is looking very good for the first time in 5-6 years of struggling with acne. I use it twice a day but before hand I always wash my face with a gentle facial cleanser to remove dirt, then pat dry with a soft towl and finally apply the Aknemycin onto the affected areas. It just feels a bit tight and dry during the first few minutes of applying it to my face and after maybe 10 to 15 minutes you skin feels normal again. It's smell isn't the most pleasent especially if you have to apply it under your nostrils as it smells like pure alcohol and makes your nostrils feel tingly. Just a warning to the males and possibly some females :P. Try not to apply it on wounds after shaving it really does sting.

Guest Patsy
Guest Patsy

v been usin this for about a month nw, and my skin is at its worst in my opinion, uneven tones, dryness, etc but after readin other people's reviews i gues tht is normal, hopeful i wil notice a change soon,fingers crossed.

Comments

I have been using it for a month and saw a dramatic difference after 2-3 weeks of everyday use. It clears up the skin, kills bacteria that cause acne. Has a mild peeling effect therefore the acne scars disappear quickly. Skin is a lot smoother. It does irritate the skin especially in the first week. Skin may become red and is sensitive to the sun. Stinging sensation (don't use it on open wounds!!!) I tried almost everything - antibiotics, contraceptive pill, roaccutance (although decided to quit it after 3 weeks=I guess does not count), various creams (BP) and microdermabrasion. I was not convinced this would help but decided to give it a go. I was desperate for a miracle. And this proved to be one. I noticed huge difference after 2 weeks. I have a lot less skin bumps (that later become red swollen and painful spots), skin is clearer and smoother. I have not had a pimple for a week - a miracle as I used to have a new one each morning. I will continue for another two or three months and then will have some microdermabrasion to get rid of scars. I may have to come back to it again.

Guest Kenzie
Guest Kenzie

It seems to purge all those infected pores. Hopefully, it gets better. You break out. A lot. My doctor prescribed this to me after I started breaking out badly after using Murad and mineral make-up. I've only been using it for a month. Needless to say, it causes one to break out quite badly (for me, it was/is terrible on top of those that I suffered earlier). I seem to be getting pimples everywhere, as well as dry, red, peeling skin. After reading previous reviews, I suppose this is an initial expected stage, so I'm gathering my courage and patience to wait it out for the next few weeks.

Comments

After the first month it does start to work. It reduces redness and oilyness as well as starting to clear up the acne. It stings and makes your skin tight. Also, you can't stop using it when you think your acne has gone. It will come back!!! The treatment makes your skin very sensitive afterwards, so be careful when using other products, such as makeup & moisturisers The bottle applicator is fantastic as it is very hygeinic and easy to use. It does sting a lot, however it is worth perservering. You will notice that your skin seems to get worse in the first month but don't worry because after the initial month it will improve. Once it does start to work it is great. This product does make you peel. It says in the instructions not to use any exfoliatives whilst using this product, however i did, this got rid of any dead skin cell and the itchiness that does occur with Acnemycin Plus solution. I also used a LIGHT, NON OIL based moisturiser whilst using this product, but don't go mad with the moisturisers as they will just make the skin worse. Now my skin has improved i still use the product everyday but only once a day rather than the reccomended twice a day. I have very few spots now but quite a few scars which i am using bio-oil for. But again, do not use this untill ALL spots have gone.

Guest Alex Melnikov
Guest Alex Melnikov

Works great, acne disapeared, really cheap. takes about a month for the skin to adjust to it, the skin is becoming more sensitive so spending much time in the sun can make acne worse. This is a great product. The frist month wasnt good, my skin got worse, i got more acne, and painful cracks appeared. After the first month the acne started to disappear, by the end of month 2 my skin was acne free, i use it for 3 months already, and my skin looks great. I recommend this to everyone, just make it trough the first month (I wanted to stop using it during the first month because acne got worse, but its just because the skin was getting used to it, after the first months the skin became clean on a week or 2, like magic!)

Guest Adam
Guest Adam

Works, Free, Easy to apply container. Stings on saw spots, Some breakouts do occur. I am at the moment 17 and I had been on Doxycycline Capsules and Differin Gel for over 2 years. And at first it worked fine but then my skin got used to it and it stopped working, I then went to my doctor about a year ago and he said its not un common for that to happen. He then perscribed me Aknemycin Plus and said the two bottles should be gone within a month and to go back, its now around a year later and i still have some left in each bottle and it is controlling the skin in a way, i do get some breakouts but its mainley my fault for not keeping at it 100% of the time. It is kind of harsh on your skin but if you just apply some moisterisuer over the top after a while it is ok. I'd definatley ask your doctor about it if you suffer from bad cases of acne like myself.

Guest frank
Guest frank

antibiotic ingredient other harmful ingredients This stuff made me break out like mad after I stoppped using it for a day I think for moderate acne an antibiotic cream alone is much safer this contains stuff that alters sebum production

Guest tom
Guest tom

clears up pores and makes skin look healthier does not actually treat acne. stings i use this twice a day aswell as taken oxytetracycline twice a day. the tetracycline is helping reduce the inflamation of my skin, and the aknemycin helps with my pores. all in all, im on my way to having healthier, cleaner skin.

Popular Topical