Aczone Dapsone Reviews

Brand: Aczone

Aczone Dapsone

Works so well! Get the discount card!

(I think my first review got deleted) I'm 30yo, with non-inflammatory adult acne. I've been using aczone off and on for 6 years. It clears my skin with zero irritation or dryness! I see immediate improvement and almost total clearing by the two week mark. I use it daily until clear, and then as a spot treatment if I have a breakout around my period. Every now and again, my acne randomly flares up. I just use it full force again, and aczone knocks it right out. A lot of the other reviewers have cited the high price. Be sure to ask your dr for a promo card and/or samples. The first time I got a script, my dr gave me a handful of sample tubes that lasted for a good two months and were super helpful when traveling! If your dr doesn't have a card to give you, got to the aczone website. You just enter in some of your info, and they will email you a discount card. I have NEVER paid more than $35 a tube! One tube lasts me many many months.

Try it.

I struggled with horrible cystic ance . it was awful bright red swollen painful.i have literally tried EVERYTHING under the sun for face wash to help. Im 22 years old finally went to dermatology first time they had me on minoclyin antibotic with adpalene gel at night. Made everything WORSE. Went back six weeks Later and they gave me aczone and up my prescription of the adpalene gel. I use both every night also use oil control cetaphil foam rinse with the lotion I haven't seen my face this clear EVER. I am very happy took all the redness away since i started aczone i dont get huge cyst anymore. feel confident talking to people and dont feel like there looking at my ance filled face. Only down fall is aczone is expensive.

Comments

I wish I never bought this

I broke out in over 20 new bumps along my jawline, cheeks, chin, forehead and hairline. Some places I never broke out in before. I used this for only 5 days and discontinued. My face was raw, red, bumps were cystic and deep and painful. Some even were oozing clear liquid. My face was swollen! I had to use ice to help it and use a gentle rose water wash for the last 3 days to help and my face has been healing now. Horrible product! I am dark skinned and my face was visibly red by the way. Before I used this product I only had maybe 7 bumps or so on my face. I will be going to accutane before I try anymore topicals. I've tried antibiotics, spiro, differin, epiduo, duac, tretinoin, clindamycin and more! I have had acne for over 10 years and I haven't had it this badly before this product. This is very overpriced too and fairly new.

have you tried doxycline? or bactrim? heard good stuff about those.... just started foxy and i’m honestly kinda scared it’s not gonna work or make it worse lol

Expensive but effective

So far I've been using this product a month and a half and I love it. The price was a real concern and I contemplated getting it as its $130 AUD but I don't regret my purchase. My skin prior to using this way extremely clogged with uneven texture. I began epiduo gel alone which did clear my skin up significantly but I think the dryness from the gel was still causing acne. I later began using Aczone which doesn't dry my skin up at all and I definitely think its helped clear my acne. Im not 100% sure exactly what it does but all my clogged pores are disappearing and my skin texture feels amazing, I prefer this much more over my epiduo gel. I am still left with clogged pores in my under eyes area however I'm extremely pleased with this product and would buy it again despite the high price, so far its been my miracle product for clearing my skin. By the way I use this during the day under makeup. I would recommend it to anyone, there is no bad side effects from it so it can't hurt to try it once

Pricey but worth it

So I am a 25 year old AA female who never had to visit a dermatologist up until November 2016. I stopped taking birth control in May 2016 and it's safe to say it was keeping my hormonal acne at bay. By November I had HUGE, horrible, painful, cystic acne all over my chin, jaw, and cheeks. I would wince in pain when it was time to wash my face =/. After a few failed remedies from the dermatologist (antibiotics oral and topical), I was finally prescribed Aczone 5% once a day in addition to my cetaphil cleanser in Mar 2017. I had never even heard of aczone before that day and actually was hoping to get a prescription for Spiro. My dermatologist suggested I try Aczone first and go from there. I will admit it DEFINITELY gets worse between weeks 2-6 but it will get better, you just have to stick through it! And when I say it gets WORSE, I honestly truly mean it. I had breakouts in places I never had acne before. I did not step foot outside unless it was absolutely necessary. In the end it is worth it! I only gave it 4 stars solely based on the price. It costs me $75 for a 2 month supply. I am now 8 weeks in today and couldn't be happier. I almost feel comfortable enough to go make-up free. I still get an occasional whitehead but nothing that my GLAMGLOW SUPERMUD Clearing Treatment (Sephora) can't zap overnight. And let me just say that I am definitely a skeptic when it comes to people's reviews on treatments. I always think the good reviewers are paid to say good things about medications but I can honestly say Aczone does what it's supposed to do and I can't wait to see my results at week 12. This definitely beats taking pills everyday and frequent blood tests while on spiro. SIDENOTE: Even though I was told to use it once daily in the AM, and clinidamycin lotion in the PM...after a week I stopped the clindamycin lotion completely and started using Aczone once in the morning and once before bed after I cleanse my face with cetaphil and follow up with a moisturizer. I am not recommending anyone to change their dose without their derm's approval, this is just what worked for me. My best advice, STICK WITH IT, you will not see results immediately.

mediocre & grossly overpriced product

Aczone is a mediocre and overpriced topical medication, distributed by a greedy pharmaceutical company named Allergan. Spend your money on a better product that doesn't cost you $900/year (with insurance!!!) I'm switching back to Finacea, which is just as good on my skin and doesn't break the bank.

Miracle Drug

I've suffered from mild to moderate acne most of my adult life, but since I discovered this, that's all changed. My face has never been this clear! My routine, for those interested: AM: dapsone PM: 0.1% Retin A, 15% azelaic acid, 1% clinda, CeraVe PM (HLA & niacinimide)

katieisadora

Removed my stubborn cystic acne

I'm a 19-year-old female who's had acne since I was 12 and this product is what finally worked for me. I've tried pretty much everything; ProActive, Epiduo, antibiotics, Tazorac, and countless scrubs, creams, -'d gels. My acne was very stubborn severe cystic acne and in a matter of about a month of using every morning with PanOxyl and CereVe moisturizer, it's gone down to only a few bumps if any. I still have large pores, scars, and black heads, but the acne itself is gone! I still can hardly believe it when I look in the mirror. I would definitely give this a try at least.

Comments

Works in combination and correct dosage! Trial and Error!

First off, I never post reviews; but people need to know... Background--I started seeing acne when I was 12, it was never a big deal, throughout middle school and high school it would only flareup when I was stressed or about to get my period. Fast forward to 22 years old, I thought (for some odd reason) that by 21 y/o my face would magically be clear as long as I live...WRONG! I started nursing school and it wasn't so bad (1st semester), then I got into my 2nd semester and wow, I had never ever been so stressed in my life, because I was having terrible flareups of acne on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. I went to the derm in May of this year, he prescribed me to Aczone (mornings), Tazorac (evenings), Minocycline (Twice/day), and Spironolactone (Once/day). Let me tell you, I've never been so self conscious of my appearance in my life. In two short months my skin had gotten worse...like A LOT WORSE. I'd never seen it this bad, I found myself canceling plans with friends, putting on so much makeup just to go to the gym, and crying for hours and hours. Acne breaks you down. It is the devil. I emailed my derm and asked if this was normal (you know, the terrible binge period everyone warns you about), and he said it was, so I stuck it out until our next appt. which was end of July. My derm asked what I thought about the meds and I said my skin is 10x worse than it was before I came in here. He suggested I get all my labs and testing done so I can go on 6months of accutane. I remember crying that day too because of what my skin had gotten to. I read the reviews and I was so scared, I didn't want all of those TERRIBLE side effects! But I understand the struggle of acne, so I considered it for a good month, I weighed the pros and cons, and I researched the heck out of it. During that month my derm told me to increase my dosage on aczone from just mornings, to mornings and nights, continue regularly with tazorac and Mino and stop Spiro altogether. In that month I saw incredible changes, my skin cleared up within 2 weeks at most, I was shocked to say the least. I saw that with just increasing my dose of aczone, my skin started to get dry and flaky--YAY! This is how I knew it was working because this is what accutane does for you, but with scarier side effects. All you have to do is wash your face with washcloth to exfoliate the dead skin. Okay, so two months of simply increasing my dose and dropping the Spiro, my skin is almost completely clear. I do have break outs when I'm about to get my period but it's nothing like it used to be, it's literally like one little tiny one. Last week, I went to ulta to get color matched and the girl asked what my skin regimen was because she wanted to know how my skin looked so clear and soft! That's how I knew I should write a review. So please, please don't just go to the harshest thing for your body. Ask your derm to increase your dosage to see if that works. Good luck!

I'm glad Aczone helped you. Spiro also made me worse. It works great for people who actually have really high free T levels but otherwise I think it makes things problematic. I'm still recovering from the Spiro breakout a few weeks ago. Do you have any updates for us about Aczone? Is your skin sensitive at all?
Hi all! Aczone Update: It's been 1 year exactly since I had my first visit to the derm. My regimen has changed a little bit. I no longer take Minocycline--no reason why, just felt like I was taking a pill that did nothing for my skin. Anyway, I apply aczone twice/day and tazorac once/day. I still have occasional breakouts when I get my period but that's it. Also, I've read the reviews above mine about the price of aczone, I get mine for $35 and it lasts me 6 months. Also, it has nothing to do with my insurance, ask your derm for the coupon or go onto the aczone website for the coupon and take it to your pharmacy! Also, answering the question, yes my skin is sensitive but tazorac and aczone don't irritate it, they dry it out occasionally but I have oily skin so that's good for me!

kinda works--good for more mild acne

I've been on Aczone (dapsone) for over 2 months now and have been using it in tandem with neutrogina hydrating cleanser. I still have pretty bad acne, but this has lessened it some and doesn't dry me out too much (a problem I had with a lot of the other topical creams). Overall I really like it (I like that I can have it on without it looking like I have cream on + my face usually feels pretty nice after applying it), but I think it is one that you'll need something else as well if your acne (like mine) is really bad.

Didn't do anything

I used this for about 6 months. I have very stubborn acne and this didn't really do anything one way or the other. I used this in the morning with epiduo at night and I saw no improvement, but also nothing that worsened. I didn't even have an initial flare. Only gave it two stars because at least it didn't make me break out even more.

Comments

Great results long and short term!

I've been using this for close to two months now and I can't recommend it enough. Initially it helped a lot with redness and inflammation - making spots smaller and less noticeable immediately. It also really reduced the time it would take a spot to go away. Sometimes my cysts would last for weeks but with Aczone they'd be gone in 3-4 days. I had moderate acne when I started - mostly around chin, cheeks, and forehead but now I just have a few fading scars and NO active spots! If you get the coupons online and buy smaller tubes then it is definitely affordable! My skin is completely back to being clear and beautiful and it is so much softer! No drying out and it is even helping with the scars!

Losing effect?

Initially, my skin became very dry but I noticed immediate improvement. MY face was completely clear for a few weeks. I have completed my second month of aczone. I am using aczone alongside Diane 35. During my periods I do notice my cystic acne returns. Aczone is great for treating scarring (past and present). Although, I feel that Aczone is not as effective anymore as my breakouts have become more severe around my period (which could be due to the Diane 35) and the Aczone has little effect when I do breakout now.

Irritating for Sensitive Skin

I tried this product after reading the reviews online. Unfortunately, my skin is far too sensitive for this product. It is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-redness agent, which I noticed, but it irritated my skin, so it was inflamed all the time which caused clogged pores. I ended up having red, swollen, rash-like skin on my forehead for a few days after stopping. If you have sensitive skin, I would either recommend a different product of start very slow.

STICK IT OUT

I absolutely never post reviews for products, but I promised that if I found a way to clear up my skin, I would let people know. I am 21, female, did not have any serious problems with acne throughout high school, but begun to at 18. Cleared up my skin on tactuo, and with no idea why, begun breaking out in deep painful pimples at 21. All along my jawline, my cheeks, around my mouth, and occasional pimples on my forehead. My t-zone was generally clear but the sides of my face were awful. I believed it to be associated with a hormonal issue. Went on tri cyclen lo, and in the first 3 months my acne worsened. I always had at least 15 breakouts at a time. Once one cleared up, another would be there. Serious self esteem issues developed and I was willing to do anything to clear my skin. Skin begun to show clearing once I STOPPED tactuo (epiduo) entirely, which seemed to be causing my acne to worsen and heal slower, and started using aczone morning and night. All I can suggest, is to STICK IT OUT! The first 2-4 months will suck, I know. But you will be so glad you did, and I also recommend not plastering your face with new products in attempt to fix things. I spent thousands of dollars on products and treatments, and what ended up working was cerave face wash, lotion, and aczone + birth control. Aczone will not dry you out, and it WILL help. Absolutely no other products. Its been 4 months since I started that simple regimen, and aside from my PIH scars, I am clear. Good luck guys, and have hope!! Try to stick it out. Thats all I can say. Also found it helpful to allow aczone to sit on my face 20 minutes before applying moisturizer as it needs time to absorb.

Two Words: Live Saver

This product is absolutely amazing. This (plus birth control) cleared up my horrible acne in a few months! I use it every night, and I can immediately tell a difference in the morning that it has worked. Thank goodness this product exists. The only down side is that it is super expensive, but luckily medical insurance is a thing, and I find it completely worth the value. I also think a large reason my skin has improved so much (my dermatologist told me it has improved 75%), is because of the birth control, and I was taking Alesse. It did wonders! I had to switch to Mirvala but I'm hoping it'll stay the same. Seriously, give it a try!

My opinion of Aczone

The following statements are my experiences and my opinions. I was on Aczone at two different times over about a 3 year period. Aczone is a pretty good anti inflammatory. However, it does not do much in terms of preventing new acne from forming. Over time, it decreased in effectiveness. Also, it is very expensive without insurance. As a result, I switched to a more natural treatment that is far superior than any prescription.

I had the exact same experience!!! I agree 100 percent. Aczone is great for the first year, but it really stops being effective after that.

Prepare for the purge

Purging was not given as a possible side effect to me, but after a week, all of the dormant milia on my face began to bubble up into pustules, pop and then heal fairly quickly. The reason I give this 3 stars is because my face currently resembles a mountain range and looking at myself in the mirror is tough. I'm not sure how long this is going to continue but I'm hoping it will calm down soon. I would recommend it if you have tried Otc products, birth control, dietary changes and still experience breakouts. Be diligent and don't give up. I might change the rating if things improve. -update- it's been about two weeks and the pustules, the whiteheads, are beginning to subside on the sides of my face. I had a retinoic acid peel last week which helped the top layer of skin slough off and bring even more dormant milia to the surface. Initially, my face was very scabby and dry, and now, a week later is beginning to fade. The skin is still very dry, and I'm willing to deal with that. My chin still has a way to go as I can see small little closed comedones, I am using the aczone (I didn't for a few days after the peel) and it is slowly, very slowly improving. I will continue to use the aczone and think it has potential. I definitely think I need to focus and stick through this since I'm turning 36 soon and I deserve to have clear skin for once in my life.

I recently started aczone myself along with differin. I'm experiencing a breakout as well. Are things getting better for you?
I'm turning 36 this year too and am not happy with how my face looks. Let's just say Aczone is not making any zits heal faster, if anythings it's giving me painful bumps under the skin "cysts." I don't really have cystic acne so it's actually making me extremely nervous. My doctor told me to go on birth control to level my hormone, which I'm also worried about since I'm on the older side. Lets just say my Face hasn't looked or hurt this bad. Going to discontinue and get back to a milder regimen while these stupid birth control pills level out.

Still debating if this is right for me..

It's only been a week since I started aczone, but I have to say I am seeing some small results.. Some parts of my face like my chin and one cheek haven't gotten any new breakouts, but my forehead broke out really bad this week and I got one big pimple on my cheek. I used the aczone as a spot treatment and it seems to have shrunk things a little but I wouldn't call it a miracle like some people on here are saying! I don't think this prevents anything though. I use a neutrogena gentle cleanser before I put this on.. What does everyone else use to prevent new pimples??? I'm also not using any other prescriptions and I feel like maybe I need to be for this process to be more successful

I am on Spironolactone and Retin-A along with Aczone. I had previously been on minocycline for quite a while before switching to Aczone, therefore I was already clear. I can't really say how well Aczone would do to be the thing that clears you up. The spiro plays a huge roll in my face staying under control also. But the three meds together has been working wonderfully for the past 3 months. I was terrified to go off of the minocycline, but the Aczone twice daily has been perfect.

Amazing product

I'm a 17 year old male, and like most 17 year old males, I've had my run in with acne. I've tried all of the over-the-counter stuff, prescription antibiotic lotions and retinoids, oral antibiotics, and finally a course of Accutane. Aczone was the last med I tried before Accutane and it saved me until I could get on Accutane. Aczone works extremely well, in my experience, for the red, inflamed, "angry", pimples and breakouts. Using any other products would burn when I put it on my acne but Aczone was actually soothing and I watched the inflammation go down before my eyes. By morning red, inflamed, "angry" pimple would be nothing more than a flat spot. Even after Accutane, I still spot-treat with Aczone because it works so well with my type of acne. A pimple that would last a week disappears overnight. It's extremely expensive for a reason, its an amazing product and a must-have in your acne-fighting arsenal.

How often do you spot treat in a day/ how much do you use each time?

Really works

my dermatologist suggested I use this alone with cerave to help my acne. It's very drying, but it goes on the skin easy and dries up acne quickly! If you put it on the night before, in the morning, a lot of pimples will be completely flattened and barely visible. Make sure to use sunscreen and lots of moisturizer when using this product.

I haven't had a problem with it being drying, and I also use Retin-A. Is there a possibility that you are using too much at one time? I use a pea sized amount for my entire face. I stay clear and don't get dryness.

Great!... But Will Not Get Rid Of Acne By Itself

I like Aczone because its very gentle on my skin and is an all-around good gel. Although its a bit drying, I don't think its anything uncomfortable or negative. I love the feeling and consistency of the gel; it spreads on the face very easily. When you apply it to your skin, you can see it lightens the acne, so you can literally apply it before going out or apply it under makeup. The one reason that I don't think it deserves five stars is that Aczone won't get rid of acne by itself. Its more of a helper medication. You need a stronger medication to use along with the Aczone to see fully clear skin in a reasonable amount of time. Also, make sure that you take advantage of the coupons offered on Aczone's website; it can save you a ton of money and makes the relatively high original price much more reasonable.

By any chance do you know if blue cross federal insurance covers it? Or At least some
I have CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield's federal employee program, and with the coupon on Aczones site, I was able to get the 60 gram for $10. Without the coupon, it would have been $200. For some reason, I couldn't get the 90g for $15, even though that was what my prescription was for. That would have been $200 even with the coupon.
What were you using with the aczone?

Try it!

I've tried everything to both prevent and heal large, cystic acne. I don't get huge breakouts or breakouts very often, but when I do get these larger zits, it is 1-2 per day for 1-3 weeks straight, and nothing has ever worked as well as Aczone. It not only works much better at drying up the pimples but also doesn't bleach sheets and clothing. It also doesn't take much for it to work. It is both anti-bacterial (prevents zits) and also heals them and dries them out remarkably fast when they do surface. I am currently without a single cyst or even small zit on my face---not even one. I go through periods of having a face with around a dozen zits, to having none, but I attribute the fast healing process in large part to Aczone (I also use 0.025 tretinoin cream now but only at night and only every second night, very sparingly to help even out my complexion). It also seems to be lightening the scars I have on my face. They were deep, and very hyper-pigmented, and are now barely visible. This, after only one week of use and not even every day/night. If you've tried peroxide creams with limited or no success, this stuff is well worth a shot. It is the best drying agent for already-formed pimples I've used in 15+ years.

Comments

TEST BEFORE YOU USE IT!!!

i dont want to be super negative about this product but beause i can see how it would work for many. ive been using clyndoxel gel for a year and love it but is a bit drying so i tried out this product on some areas on my chin. my skin s very dry on my chn and im not sure if its the residue of clyndoxel on my skin or the dryness but my skin turned like dark brown after i used this and i had to miss school the next day until the skin was finally exfoliated off. im just saying but test it on a small area of skin before rubbing it on your whole face. it did work for my acne tho

Peroxide + Dapsone = brown stains. It is some kind of chemical reaction. I experienced this as well... but it just seemed to be the cream that turned brown and I could wipe it off right away. Just don't use them at the same time and this will not happen.

Been using for almost 4 years now

Ok so, to start off, I have suffered from acne since I was 14. I went to multiple dermatologists, and I really didn't find any improvements until I went to a really great doctor when I was 16, and she prescribed me Azcone with the combination of Doxycycline, antibiotic pills (50 mg). Wow, after a couple months I really noticed a difference and luckily my face is much better. Around the age of 18, I stopped taking Doxycycline (it's an antibiotic and sometimes aggressive internally) and used Aczone with birth control, and I was scared that my acne would be worse, and while yes it did get a little worse for about 2 months with birth control, it went away after a couple weeks and I'm very pleased now. So really the only topical gel I'm using for my acne is Azcone; I do not use any medication soap. I use the Lush Coal Face bar soap and this exfoliates nicely. Aczone is also safe to use alongside with apple cider vinegar (which is fantastic for redness). I really love Aczone because I also suffer from redness, for example my acne scars take forever to fade and when I first wash my face, it turns pretty red. However, I apply Aczone and after about 30 mins (give it time to settle into the skin), my redness is gone! I use it as soon as I wake up, and before going to sleep, and redness is diminished. Before applying make up, I wait about 20-25 mins, for Aczone to settle into my skin. Also I use sunscreen alongside with Aczone, because it's a must. If you don't use sunscreen every time you go out in the sun, you risk coming back with purple to red spots on your face (yikes!) and these will take forever to finally fade. I'm almost 20 now, and my face is doing much better. Still get some pimples here and there (especially during that time of the month) but around this time I use a combination of Aczone and then once the Aczone dries, I apply apple cider vinegar as a spot treatment on pimples (mix it with a little bit of water so it's not too strong). With the Apple cider vinegar, the Aczone, and the birth control, I feel my Acne is almost practically gone.

Popular Topical