Acnecide Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Acnecide

Acnecide Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

Completely got rid of my Acne

This gel has completely changed my skin and for the better. Around 3 years ago I started to get Acne on my back, chest and face. At the time I wasn't really bothered by this but as I grew abit older and began to care more for my appearance, the acne began to become more of a problem. This is the only available Bp in the UK so I started using this gel and within a few weeks there was a massive difference. A year and half later my skin has fully adapted to the gel. This means I no longer even need to moisturize despite using the gel and the body wash, both at the same time. It is not cheap which is certainly a downside as I use rather alot of it. The bleaching, is by far the biggest downside to this product as it will destroy anything that isn't white. Even wearing a white t-shirt will not prevent bleaching on the layer above. But overall this is a small price to pay when the result(for me at least) is completely clear skin. I would recommend washing first with the wash and then following up with the gel as the gel on its own wasn't quite enough to completely clear my back and face.

Not my favourite

So sad they discontinued panoxyl 10% since this happened I've heard Acnecide has the same product so have started this now since my last tube of panoxyl ran out, sad times. I've been using it for around a month or two. Since using it i can't say that it has drastically changed my skin, but it's definitely caused small breakouts of these tiny annoying spots almost covering my forehead so rubbish! It really gets me down, they've appeared on other parts of my skin, also! My skin is super oily like I thought it was oily before but Jeez it's even worse now, anybody else had this problem ? And if so does it go? asking for some reassurance. Also is it best to apply it just at night or also in the morning ? As usually I only put the 10% on at night and I'd have to moisturise before hand using (simple) brand as my skins so sensitive! I feel like as it's a lower dose my skin may need it applied more than once? Maybe even not to moisturise so much? Thanks guys x

Don’t like it! DONT USE

Personally I don’t like this at all!! I have been trying in out for a few weeks and I have noticed my spots are getting worse the more I use it! They are becoming scars when they disappear and my face was so red the next day! Won’t use this again!!

Horrible!

I was prescribed this along with lymecycline (oral antibiotic which I had been taking for two months already). I used this overnight and by the next morning my entire face was red and really itchy (even around my eyes, where the gel went nowhere near!). It took over a week for my skin to return to normal (e.g. for all the swelling / raised bumps / redness to go down). Stupidly, I decided to give it another go a few weeks after this, however I only applied the gel around the areas that were less sensitive (mainly the edges of my face). Again, when I woke up my entire face was inflamed and itchy even on the areas I had not applied it. Definitely NEVER using this again!

Works brilliantly for me

I have always had combination skin with blocked pores (I'm now early 40s, and have always had a healthy lifestyle and diet). I very rarely get zits as such, but am always affected to a minor or major degree by watery blisters that pop up really quickly just under my mouth or in the laughter lines going up to my nose. Once they clear, I find a sebum plug but it's impossible to remove these in the early stages without totally destroying my face. But it doesn't stop me from squeezing and making a mess. I used to buy Quinoderm but when this was removed from sale, I put up with my bad skin or tried non over-the-counter stuff that didn't work at all. When I started breaking out massively again a few months ago, I decided to give Acnecide a go (thanks to reviews on this web site !). I was concerned about the "gel" texture, as gel usually leaves a sticky mess. However, it's a cross between a cream and lotion, and is very easy to apply, and it is invisible once rubbed in. It works really well on my skin. If I use it on a new area it might dry the skin a bit, but this doesn't concern me as the product is doing its job. I generally now use it every other night, and this keeps the zitty blisters at bay. I rarely have to use concealer any more. I think it's better than Quinoderm, as that was a very strong formula and if I got a trace onto any clothes or bedding, it would bleach them. I'm really glad I found this product as it's a bit of a life-changer for me.

Working

I'm using this a little over a week now and it's really resduced my acne. I am waiting to be put on accutane, so I needed something in the meantime. I bought this in Boots for 15€ and I have to say it's really working but you need to be consistent in applying it. I use it religiously every night and sometimes during the day too. It does dry out your skin but nothing major. I would recommend this and if tried lots of different treatments.

Not great

I've been using acnecide overnight for 3 weeks today and I don't notice much of a difference, my spots look the same in the morning as they do the night before and I've also been documenting daily photos of my skin and don't see much of a difference. I would like a treatment that works rapidly to kill my spots/acne and help me get clear skin but In the past few days I've seemed to get more spots on my forehead:( any suggestions? Best of luck to you all

great...for 3 months

this was a life saver for me in summer when in my twenties i had mild (clogged pores and redness) come back in to my life after years of being skin free. This did the job for me and i noticed changes with in about 2 weeks giving me very glowy looking skin. however i did notice that if i put it high up on my cheekbones and went to sleep i woke up with quite puffy eyes- however this didn't bother me as my skin was clear! it could be quite drying in places tho so i teamed this with a cetaphil cleanser and seemed to be on to a winner. after a few months i started to become complacent and used it once every 3 nights instead of every night. about a month later my skin was worse than ever- with tiny wee spots appearing on my forehead for the first time in my life. I've now gone back to the doctor and have been given DUAC once daily gel which i believe might do the same thing (great for a few months and then start to repel). if this doesn't work i will have to try oral antibiotics.

Comments

After trying everything, this worked for me.

I've been on just about every acne treatment there is, including three courses of isotretinoin (Accutane). Accutane did clear me completely but after a couple of months being off it, my acne would return, although not as bad as it had before. After my last course of accutane I was left with mild/moderate acne and I felt nothing else could work. I looked back through my treatments and realized I'd never been offered a Benzoyl Peroxide based treatment. This is the only product as far as I know that contains BP that can be bought over the counter in the UK. I tried it as a last-ditch effort and the results have been great. I use it once or twice a day with a moisturizer and for me the dryness is not even noticeable. However, if you suffer from dry or sensitive skin, it may be too harsh.

Comments

Hasn't helped a whole lot, what can i do now?

I have been using this product for about a month now and it hasn't really helped, it does give me dry sore skin from time to time but nothing too bad that moisturiser cant help. I have suffered with acne for about 2 and half years now (on my cheeks and around my mouth and chin) and i'm 19. I have been to the doctors more times than i am able to remember and they have tried different tablets, different creams and nothing has helped. What can i do now?

Try aknicare from skinmed

Great stuff

Ive had adult acne for 22 years . And I have to say this is the best by far . Of all treatments I've tried over the counter and prescribed. I use clearsail gentle skin perfecting wash too, its not over drying and moisturise as well . I can has senitive skin. This combination of skin care has worked for me. I DO NOT get any over drying , Itching or flaking skin

Love this stuff

I've been using acnecide for just under 2 weeks now and I would say that this stuff is amazing. I started to see results in just 1 week, I had been looking for an acne treatment for such a long time and this stuff is a miracle. It does make your skin dry but I just use a moisturiser after using it. I use a water based moisturiser as that's what my doctor suggested to me because an oily one would not work for my skin type.

Itchy but works sometimes

I used to use this in the past when I had a few spots and it really made my skin dry out but it worked but I stoped using it because I only had a few spot. But now I have been diagnosed with mild acne and dermatitis so I thought I'd try this again, it doesn't give me any dryness but it's just really itchy I use a dermatologist moisturiser as well Anyone know why this is happening ???

Lower concentrations of benzoyl peroxide are recommended. 2.5% is effective but without the dryness/irritation commonly found in 5% or even 10% concentrations. Look for a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel. I think acne.org still sells its own brand. Alternatively continue to use 5% in small amounts. Also, the regimen on acne.org recommends also using an oil free cleanser. This is very good advice.

First 2 uses

I have been using this for the past 2 nights before I go to bed on areas of my skin where my acne is prevalent. I have noticed my acne is less aggressive and hopefully stopping more acne appearing. I am slightly worried that this is a product that will work for the first week but will become less effective as my skin gets use to it. So far no ichyness or dryness/red patches.

Life changer

I went to the doctor about my depression and acne and she recommended acnecide. This gel is amazing! I have tried everything to remove spot scars and blemishes including baking soda and face washes but nothing worked and I felt terrible. This 5% benzoyl peroxide is LIFE CHANGING and made me have much more confidence in the way I look. I can go out now makeup free finally and don't have to cake my face in tonnes of foundation. It gives my skin a healthy glow. For me it doesn't dry my skin that much it actually feels moisturising after washing it off with just water. At first it feels dry but your skin will get used to it within a week! This cream worked in less than two days it's a miracle. I use quite a lot as it sinks in your skin fast but that's good. Just need a bigger tube! I get the odd spot but nothing like what it used to be I feel like a totally different person thanks Acnecide!

Would not recommend

This gel gets a big no from me. I've been using it sparingly every now and then during a big breakout. It did definitely work for the breakouts even ones that were on my face fit weeks with no sign of going away. HOWEVER: I could only use this product once over night (I never used it during the day) on top of moisturiser and Only a minimal amount. If that was done one night and never again, the redness it created would go away fairly quickly. 1-2 days and my skin was fine. The moment I applied it the next night, the next morning I the area was extremely red, EXTREMELY dry which felt like a dry shell created over the area, the area swelled up a little + my skin burnt a bit. Saying that, my skin at the moment is still red to this day (been like this for roughly 4 days now) but it is slowly going away. The area is still raised due to swelling. The dryness is horrid and nothing seems to help. I still get some burning sensation on one area I applied this on my cheek despite not using this for 4 days and having washed my face every evening and morning since. I would only recommend this if your skin is tough and can take the usage of this more than one time in a row.

This happened me to. My face was very badly burnt from this product. Hydrocortisone acetate cream (hc45) prescribed off my doctor got rid of my swelling and the redness/burn this product caused.
I got the same reaction and got prescribed the same from my doctor. How long did it take for your redness and swelling to go down
Same! My who skin got red, itchy and pealed. The product definitely works as my sports diminished and transformed into marks just for 2 days. However next time when i use acnecide I will be careful and put only on the sports

Red itchy bumps

So I bought the acnecide gel on 13/04/17 and to be fair I don't really suffer from acne but this year I've been getting a lot of spots but not a lot at once however it still did frustrate me! Anyways I decided to give acnecide a go after reading all the reviews and it worked so good! That one spot on my forehead was slowly disappearing. I would apply a thin layer once a day just before I went to bed. Although I did apply it on the areas that I was prone to get spots. My skin looked amazing I was getting so happy. On the 10th day (16/04/17) I woke up with two massive bumps on my forehead and a lot of spots on my cheeks. I basically got a reaction on the areas I had applied the cream. The spots and bumps were red and really itchy and honestly made me feel so down. The two bumps on my forehead were so bizarre. The texture of it was more or less scaly if I had to be honest. Today it's 20/10/17 my face is a lot more better. My two bumps on my forehead have gone with a slight redness which will take probably another day or two to heal. My left cheek has slight redness too but my right cheek has no redness whatsoever which means my right cheek is back to normal. However I have gotten a lot of tiny spots around my face which are not quite as visible but I'm hoping that they'll go away soon. Hope my review helps a lot of you guys! Btw I am a 22 year old, Sri Lankan.

Has your reaction to the cream improved and are you still using it?
What did u use to get the bumps to go away? I've had the same reaction

Lifesaver

I love this cream. I have never had perfect skin but lately it's been really bad. Dermatologist said it's hormonal as it's all around my mouth and jaw area. I feel like I've tried everything but nothing works. I recently started using acnicide 5%. Been using it for about 3 days now. Morning and night over my entire face. Already I have seen amazing results. My skin is so dry but not sore at all. I apply this and then let it dry and put a tiny bit of savlon over the spots. I have also been taking lymecycline 408mg for about a week. My skin is clearing so quickly.

Me too I love using acnecide my skin is finally free!

dry skin

I've been using this stuff for about a week and its working great!. But it's giving me dry skin, like really dry, did I put too much on? I touch my face and it feels weird, and when I move my face, it feels stiff like. But other than that, it's working fine.

Use moisturiser about 20 minutes after using the acnecide. If your skin ends up too dry then skip a couple of days as it sounds like It's drying out x

It works! ... but be sensible with it.

I've used this cream for nearly 3 years now and it's my go to cream. I suffer from mild to moderate acne from the cheeks down. I've tried so many things and it was just exhausting, so now I've found something (that isn't a miracle worker, but it definitely helps), I might as well live with it instead of wasting my life trying to find the perfect solution. Stick with it, it will burn and you'll hate it when you laugh because your skin will feel like its ripping, but your skin will soon adapt to it. Use a very small amount and focus on problem areas. It bleaches so don't put it on and then get into bed, let it dry first. I use it in the evenings only, don't over do it unless you have severe acne, then use in the mornings as well, but ONLY A LITTLE. I use Cetaphil moisturiser and that's it. No fancy routine with toners and whatever else they have, and it's worked okay for me. Please give it time and be patient while your skin adjusts. And remember, more cream doesn't mean it will work better, it'll just make your face VERY sore. GOOD LUCK :)

thanks for this, my skin is really dry and i knew i was putting to much on. Thanks!

I highly recommend this product

When I was 15 years old I got the implant it was going fine for about 6 months. I started to feel my face was starting to get really sore , boils & spots started show up & my face was all red & sore to touch or even sleep on. I then ended up with server acne. I was out on tablets , different creams & I even got referred to a skin specialist that's tried to put me on tablets that is actually been barred I America cause of the amount of sucides it caused , as they were giving people with mental health issues , server depression & server anxiety them without getting a letter from the doctor to see if it safe to give them the tablets. I thankfully got a letter from my doctor saying I'm not aloud to be giving the tablets the skin specialist wanted me to go on. I saw my doctor about a week or 2 after and he gave me acnecide to try to see if there would be any difference in my skin. I saw a massive change in my skin after a couple of weeks of using acnecide every night even sometimes I would put it on in the morning as well. Cause I have server acne for life I'm having to use the cream for the rest of my life just so it doesn't break out again. I now live with this skin condition for the rest of my life, I'm now 19 years old & My skin is now all back to Normal & is very smooth so I highly recommend acne cide to every one who is suffering or has been suffering for many years if acne. You would be able to see exactly how much there is a difference in your skin.

Any suggestions?

I'm 13, and I started using this product about 5 months ago. The first month or 2 had gone really well, no breakouts and the acne scarring started to clear up. But then I used that tube all up and there wasn't any available so I had to wait about a week or so. In that week all my acne started coming back and it was awful, when I finally got my hands on some cream it didn't work aswell as it did the first time. To be honest it made it worse and I hate my skin and I don't like going out with my friends and I hate going to school I just need some help, please give me some suggestions.

Whenever you stop using a BP cream your acne will start to creep back unless you use a back up solution. Your skin was preparing to flare up again and then you started using the cream again. Your face was probably very confused. Like you did the first time, stick to it for a while and your skin will improve again. And bad skin is very very common in youngsters, noone at school will notice it, and i'm guessing you scrutinise your face to high heavens in the mirror, noone is ever going to give your face that much attention, or be that close I should think. Enjoy being young and enegetic, with great friends. Your skin will get better before you know it. I hope it's working again for you now :)

Amazing

The first few weeks of using this were horrible, my skin went really red, dry and flaky. I decided to then buy the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser (which are recommended with the product) and I noticed a huge improvement and I also think my skin began to get used to it. I have now been using the product for 10 weeks and while I still get a few spots its no where near the amount I used to get and parts of my face are completely clear, as well as this my skin is also a lot less oily. I've heard that this product is a bit of a hit and miss and although it is quite expensive a little goes a long way, so one tube will last a while. The second to third week of using it were my worst, but I put on too much of it and didn't let my skin adjust, so I went round looking sun burnt in January, so my advice would be too start slowly and let yoyr skin adjust, but expect irritation. I also found sudocrem was good for dealing with any red patches. A website that I found useful was: [link removed] Hope this helps!

Just realised they removed the link but if you type in benzoyl peroxide week by week into google it will come up.

Still not sure

I've been using this for almost a year now, however i've always used the tiniest amount possible for fear of getting the red peely burn face that seems so talked about with most benzoyl peroxide treatments, with little improvement. Now I use this once in the evening and have become quite liberal with the application. And yes, it burns. but If you make sure you moisturise afterwards, with something soothing with no perfumes, its bearable. Hoping with some dedication to my current regime, this will finally kick my acne's butt!

Comments

Best product I've used so far!

The only over the counter product I've seen that states you need to give it a go for a whole month and if that doesn't work go to see your GP or a dermatologist! At first, trying this with huge urgency I used twice a day with another product containing glycolic and sacrylic acid and basic burnt the skin off of my face.... Lesson learnt. Cut down to using this gel once a day at night time, and within a week the difference was incredible. I suffer from cystic acne after stoping the contraceptive pill, and a month in, this is the first time in over a year I don't have a spot on my face, just scaring. Have just purchased the acnecide wash and will be getting the cetaphil moisturiser soon. Highly recommend this!

Popular Topical