Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2107 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

best product
Reviewed on October 27, 2017

I used to have mild acne for over 10 years. Thanks to Accutane i have a clear face for over 1,5 years already. Besides one pimple a week, i am acne free. Everyday i wake up happy not worrying about pimples anymore. Life changer!

Cure for some
Reviewed on October 24, 2017

I'm giving Acctuane two stars because it was a total cure for both of my brothers. Unfortunately for my sister and I, we both relapsed a few months after stopping. The dermatologist recommended taking a second round, but at the end of my first round my hair was falling out. I still have bald patches on my hairline. Not cool.

pretty good.
Reviewed on October 20, 2017

this medicine works miracles for your skin but now that i'm off of it, i'm starting to have a relapse again. my forehead is starting to get little bumps and so is my chin.

Cleared on low dose Accutane!
Reviewed on October 13, 2017

I have used this forum like forever and have tried the acne.org regimen for the past 1 year. Although my acne has got better at times, new ones just keep popping out. I think my acne is cystic, because recently I noticed that its getting more painful and larger around my lower cheeks and chin. I read many of the side effects of Accutane, and feel quite torn whether to see a doctor or just stick to the creams. I cannot take antibiotics as i have a weak stomach. One day, when i was meeting my client and needed to go to the bathroom, I overheard them commenting on my looks as they entered later. I just broke down and felt so depressed.

I began searching for an acne clinic in Singapore that could help. The doctor was friendly and professional enough, and explained all about acne and accutane. I read all about the side effects of accutane, and am really worried about the side effects. My doctor, dr. Moses Ng, said my acne was indeed cystic hormonal acne, and advised starting accutane. He recommended starting on a low dose, as he has experience treating many patients on lower dosages with good results. Side effects would be lower too. I was given 20mg accutane daily. He prepped me for the initial purge and how to deal with the side effects.

The first 2 weeks were horrible. It got so painful that I wanted to cry. I could take the dry skin and cracked lips, but my acne looked the worst ever. I told myself to bear with it and focused my thoughts instead on K-drama and reading. By the end of 4 weeks, my acne looked no different from when i started taking accutane. My derm at the follow up visit did some blood tests, and just told me to continue as most only see results in 6-8 weeks (that's long!)

From the second month, things started to turn around and my acne became less painful. The dryness was still there, but it didn't bother me a great extent. At the next visit, i pointed out some red marks on my face, and my derm mentioned its acne marks, post-inflammatory redness, i think. He said it will get better with time. I'm at 6 months of accutane now, and my skin is mostly clear. I do get the one or two pimples popping up when my period is near, or when I'm eating something I shouldn't.

I'm quite happy that i overcame my fears (and my acne). There's so much information out there, that it can freak people out. Find a doctor that will listen, and hold your hand along the way (i spent close to half an hour in the consultation room during my first visit).

Works amazingly but acne came back after two rounds of accutane
Reviewed on October 7, 2017

This drug is a miracle worker but for me my acne returned worse than before about a year after treatment. Side effects were dry skin, sores on my skin, back and joint pain which i still suffer with now years after.

by PimpleMonster on 11/16/2017 20:16
Why would you add a five-star review then? That sounds horrible!
Changed My Life - Only Regret is Not Doing it Sooner
Reviewed on October 6, 2017

I did Accutane years ago, thought I'd give my two cents. Before Accutane I had cystic acne, and nothing would help - I tried so many different skin routines and acne products on the shelf, birth control, antibiotics... You name it, I tried it. My skin controlled my life and I was always so anal about keeping it clean, afraid of anything touching it, changing my pillow cases constantly, researching home remedies for hours.

I knew Accutane was a possibility, but it scared me. I had heard about the initial breakout many people experience, and was afraid of this because I scar VERY easily. However, eventually when no other treatments worked, and I was still scarring anyways, I just decided screw it, I can either face the initial break out, or face a lifetime of continuous scarring. I went on Accutane and within the first couple months saw drastic improvement. Luckily, I never experienced an initial breakout. Just slow and steady decrease in acne right from the start.

I do still get the occasional small spot here and there, but these are the type of pimples that are maybe 1-2 mm in diameter, are totally flat, do not scar, and fade away within a couple of days. Before Accutane I would get deep rooted, cystic nodules that were raised from the surface, painful, and could last over a month, but afterwards I never experienced another cystic pimple... NOT ONCE. The one negative effect was lip dryness that still affects me to this day. However, this one simple annoyance is absolutely nothing compared to the despairs of cystic acne. My only regret is not doing it sooner, I waited over a year to try it because I was afraid of the initial breakout, and in that time I just experienced additional scarring that could have been prevented had I started sooner.

Help
Reviewed on October 5, 2017

Im currently on accutane taking 60gm a day today is my first day to month 4 am still breakingout but only on my face my back is completly clear now i have moderate acne any ideas why or what i should do?

by Solomon92 on 11/15/2017 23:03
Just stick with it you will clear up. I'm at of month 4 my self on 60mgs it's doing great.
Worked great for my oily severe acne when nothing else would!
Reviewed on September 20, 2017

Accutane worked fantastic for me. I had very inflamed acne all over my cheeks and the general side of my face. It was definitely severe. My skin is also very oily. I took 40 mg a day for 5 months. After the first week, I could tell a difference in my blackheads. My acne was gone by the end of month 3 with perfect skin by month 4. The only side effect that bothered me was the dry lips, and I was more prone to eye styes. Dr.Dans cortibalm was an absolute life saver for my lips. For face wash, I used and still use Keihls ultra-facial oil free cleanser and moisturizer. It is very gentle and mild and helps control some of my oil.

Acne comes back and it has side effects, but you have to keep trying
Reviewed on September 3, 2017

I had persistent mild acne all over my face, back and chest since I was 12, but when I turned 15 all the tiny pimples disappeared and instead I developed huge cystic pimples exclusively on my cheeks. My doctor prescribed me accutane right away. I started with 20 mg, and swtiched to 30 mg after the first box, that lasted about four months. I experienced light skin and lip dryness, but they would go easily away with moisurizing products. One worrying side effect I had was nose bleeding, which I experienced daily, but I've always been prone to that. I stopped for two months because summer came and the sun was dangerous for my skin while I was on those pills. In september I started treatment again for almost 6 months, again with 30 mg. When I finished the treatment the dryness took almost three months to disappear, but as soon as it did the acne came back, although not cystic but persistent light acne. After 6 months I've started the treatment again, but by now I'm experiencing light hair loss and hairline receding, which I have never noticed before. It is barely noticeable unless you look verly closely, but I'm a little freaked out because of fear of going bald, but I think if I stick to low doses over large periods of time I can minimize it and regrow hair once i finish. Overall I think it's still worth it.

by Solomon92 on 11/15/2017 23:05
It will grow bsck once accutain is out of your system
Mixed feelings
Reviewed on August 28, 2017

Don't get me wrong, when I tried this 5 years it worked wonders, it was my fault for stopping a bit early and not going back as advised. I couldn't cope with my mood swings at the time. Looking back I regret it. I now have acne a lot worse and only after 10 weeks after starting accutane again I'm not seeing any improvement, dry lips again and the last 24hrs I've had a some scary heart palpitations, it's obviously due to the pills and is accompanied with a very slight niggling headache. I'm gonna see how it goes but I fear I may not get the chance to really give this a second chance. This medication worked last time and I hope it works again, however it would have been unrealistic to give it 5 stars as the dry lips is pure hell and heart palpitations is not good for anyone's standards. Anyone else had this problem?

by Solomon92 on 11/15/2017 23:08
Dry lips is normal. Drink a gallon a day it will help with all your problems, accutain turns your body into a desert and if you're not drinking enough side effects get worse.