x

Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2116 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Side effects were manageable for me
Reviewed on January 14, 2018

180lb male age 23

duration: 214 days (~7months)

dose: 40mg for 2 months, 60mg for 1 month then 80mg for the remaining months, respectively. I paid about $20 a month after bcbs insurance covered most of it.

before isotretinoin:

applied chapstick 2-3 times daily

applied lotions only to elbows and feet during the winter

eyes almost never dry

easily complete an hour weight lifting workout with energy to spare

during isotretinoin:

apply lip moisturizer up to 10 times a day, and even waking up in the middle of the night to do so

apply lotion at least once a day or get rashes

dry eyes in the evening sometimes made it difficult to read

nose was very dry, almost never had any moisture

my face flaked dead skin

any minor cut seemed to be redder than normal and take longer to heal

lifting weights became a little more difficult due to some joint pain, and feeling fatigued more easily; cut workouts to 30-40 min

**i got probably 50% more acne than i originally had during the first 4 months of my treatment**

When it finally got into the summer time all the dryness related side effects reduced and made me significantly more comfortable

I never got any sunburn, but only because i put on LOADS of sunscreen and avoided the sun whenever possible.

i stopped treatment 8 months ago and i've had maybe a dozen pimples since. i still have some light acne scarring but i am treating it successfully with hydroquinone.

all the side effects are back to normal. Thankfully nothing has been permanent. Overall I'd say it was worth it

I should have listened to everyone
Reviewed on January 13, 2018

I was really hesitant to start this drug when I was 19 due to the side effects that I had heard so much about. But after 7 years of severe acne, I was seeing its effects too - the deep scars that made me really self conscious, especially around men. No amount of makeup would hide them and apparently nothing over the counter could help me with the breakouts. I even went on BC just to control my skin but that had little to no effects either. So finally I just went against my better judgement and started a 4 month, 60 mg cycle of accutane (I was 24, 170 lbs). I have to say that initially I was ok with it because the results were pretty immediate. The side effects got really old really fast. The list of potential side effects is so long I don’t even think I could list them all. Pretty much anything you can think of is a potential side effect and even though a lot of people say they didn’t feel them, I sure did! I saw profound hair loss, PROFOUND cracked lips (to the point of bleeding), my eyes got so red and dry that even closing them brought no relief, nor did the store bought artificial tears. I had nosebleeds nearly every day and extreme joint pain. The running that I had done nearly my entire life had to stop because my knees and hips hurt so bad with every stride. And I was only 24 years old.

After the 4 months was over, I was happy with the results but not happy enough to continue or to ever think about doing it again. I was just hoping that the results would last forever and I wouldn’t have to even consider it again.

But the results only lasted for about 4 months. The side effects lasted much longer though. Wish it had been that way with the acne! But the acne returned really worse than ever about 3-4 months after I finished my cycle. Instead of getting 1-2 blemishes a day, I was getting 4-6 and this time they were much deeper and I experienced cystic acne really for the first time ever. I would get cysts before but I wouldn’t have said I had cystic acne. This time, for sure, it was cystic acne with nearly every blemish being a cyst and super painful. Instead of feeling more confident in my skin, I felt worse than ever because on top of all that, my lips were still bleeding, I had thin hair and dry eyes. Lovely right?!

So fast forward a couple of years, back to trying only topical stuff, acne still the worst it has ever been. Now 29, I want to get preggo, super concerned about what I might have done to my body with this terrible drug (‘cause they say it is so bad for pregnant women) and then I started thinking about if this is so bad for pregnant women, how about all the topical stuff? I mean there is some harsh stuff in there.

I started googling benzoyl peroxide and pregnancy to see what I could learn. Benzoyl because that seems to be the main ingredient I have seen in all the big brands. I came across this blog post on one site called Ninja Skincare which was really informative about benzoyl peroxide, pregnancy and breastfeeding. I thought it was so good, I started digging more around their site, became even more intrigued when I saw their testimonials on their site with people’s before and after pix. Then tried to find information on them outside of their site. Everything I found was super duper positive and I just thought heck, I haven’t heard of them but why not? So I asked for a consultation (which was free! I couldn’t believe it) and a lady called me the next day, spent nearly an hour on the phone with me, asking me all sorts of questions about my skin, my past products, my diet. I mean, my dermatologist had never even gotten that in depth about why I might be experiencing this acne. It was more eye opening than any other acne conversation I had ever had. Like ever. I still feel like I finally have an understanding about acne that I never had before, in the 17+ years I have been going through it. She was so mind-blowing that I immediately bought the products, about 4 different ones and honestly, for all that product, I think I spent like $70 or something. Such a huge deal compared to the thousands and thousands I have spent in the past.

Results? I can’t even put them into words. Proactive, Rodan and Fields, Mario B, Accutane, Peter Thomas Roth, microdermabrasion, zenmed… omg I think I have tried them all and never seen really any results compared to Ninja. After 2 weeks, the pimples were getting less frequent and smaller and would go away quicker. Oh and they were pimples, not cysts. Within 4 weeks, I would say, I was clear and now 5 months later, I have had maybe 2 pimples in 2 months. The scars I have hated for years are almost gone and I am finally walking around without makeup. I can’t even believe it still. And I am PREGNANT! And still using it.

So my advice? Forget the accutane if you are having any hesitations (which you should be). Check out all your options before you go forward with anything that needs a prescription!!!!

by Solomon92 on 01/23/2018 01:27
First off you were under dosed. Someone that's 170lb needs 80mg for 5-6 months and most of your side effects could have been treated/prevented. Gallon of water everyday helps tremendously with dryness fish oil does wonders for joint pain I'm for nosebleeds Aquaphor should do the trick. I'm 140lb 25 years old I did 60mg for 6 months just finished yesterday had minimal side-effects mild dry lips that Chapstick fixed occasional nose-bleed and that was it. Sorry didbt work out for you.
Roaccutane UK 2017 May - Dec, male.
Reviewed on December 25, 2017

Male 34

Roaccutane 20mg x 2 months, 30 mg x 2 months, 40mg x 4 months.

Ok, just the facts.

Had very oily and skin and custic acne. I tried benzoyl peroxide 10%, differin, treclin, isoxtrein, tetralysal, epiduo, and most of the over the counter medicines

Side effects.

2nd day very bad headache, though it went away and never had one agiain

I cried at work once when my tablets went up to 30mg on the beginning of month 3, I wasn't sad at all. Just stared crying, I was totally fine after about 5 minutes... and I never got that again.

I got slight eczema on my forearms but that went away instantly with moisturizer.

That's it.

Nothing else happened, my cholesterol went up a bit, but not a problem.

My skin started to get better straight away no real initial breakout. My skin got dry and looked not very good for about 10 days on week 2 but then it just got better and better. At the end of the course I look almost perfect and havent had any spots for like half a year, I have been on it for 8 months. No hair loss, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no blood in toilet, no bowel problems

All this is purely my experience. Please make your decision carefully. I am happy to answer any and all questions

X

Definitely worked but with side effects.
Reviewed on December 23, 2017

I started isotretinon when my whole face, especially cheeks were full of very painful, large cystic acne. I noticed difference in 30 days itself. And in the next 20 days, I had only small pimples that would last 3-4 days and then go away. I did not use it more than 50 days. Reason: it damaged my liver. It increased my ALT/AST levels by almost 8-10 times the normal. Before I got the liver function test done, I was going through a horrible condition. I would sleep almost 14 hours a day, and yet I felt tired and struggled to stay awake in the remaining hours. I had started dreaming excessively, could barely concentrate while studying and felt depressed too. I was able to make the connection when I stopped the pills and within 4-5 days I felt very active, would sleep 7-8 hours, and felt lighter and happier.

These pills are no joke. They work, but if you must use them, then educate yourself about the side effects and ask your doctor how you can minimise the side effects. I do not think there has been any long term side effect for me (my liver test came normal after a month of quitting the pills).

Accutane Will Change Your Life!!
Reviewed on December 14, 2017

I'm going to write a very detailed review, but I'll summarize quickly: Accutane worked for me, but there were lasting side effects. I would encourage anyone considering the medication to do their research and really weigh out whether their acne is bad enough that risking long term side effects would be worth it. For me, I was 32 and my cystic acne had been ruining my confidence for over a decade. It was so worth it.

The first month or so on Accutane, I experienced "flushing," i.e. redness and heat of my face, and a rough texture. Everything started to get dry, especially my lips. My acne began to clear almost immediately, which is NOT typical, and in fact I've read that some people don't see results until well AFTER they've completed their treatment!

The second month, these side effects continued, as well as new ones: I'm really active in strength training and mountain biking, and I noticed a lot of pain in my lower body joints, especially my right hip. My hips were popping a lot. This was really discouraging, I didn't want to stop working out, but I really had to tone it down. When I had minor crashes on my mountain bike, they HURT and I bruised badly. My lips peeled constantly, I sweat more than usual and had hot flashes.

Third month, I had blood with a bowel movement. Bright red, horrifying blood. I saw a doctor immediately, as is indicated by the warnings on this medication, because intestinal diseases are a potential side effect. Luckily, it turned out to be an internal hemorrhoid, and the tissue thinning that happens with Accutane just exacerbated the condition, so I was able to continue my course safely with no recurrence after I finished my course.

I finished about five and a half months of the treatment, and here's the end result: I rarely break out, and when I do it's nothing compared to my old acne. My skin and hair are less oily. It's wonderful. The downside is that the flushing I experienced early in my treatment turned out to be a long term effect of Accutane; I now have mild rosacea that needs to be treated with a topical to keep my skin clear and smooth. No big deal.

The worst of my lasting problems is my hip: Both hips still pop frequently and I think I caused a chronic hip injury by continuing to stay active through the discomfort while I was on the drug, though it's not anything that keeps me from physical activity. BUT it's important to note that I have had issues with my lower body joints for years, so I do not believe this would have happened if I weren't prone to such problems to begin with.

I have read lots of reviews from people blaming Accutane for conditions as severe as fibromyalgia, and I'm not buying it; based on my personal experience, I believe that Accutane can exacerbate pre-existing conditions, but I don't think it's likely to cause new ones. Most of the complaints about Accutane "causing" new conditions that I have read are from people who began Accutane as a teenager, so I think it just seemed like the drug "caused" their condition, but in reality they were probably just asymptomatic at that time because of their age. Which brings me to my second disclaimer: I would personally not recommend this drug for anyone who isn't fully grown. I'm frankly shocked that a drug with such severe potential side effects is prescribed to kids who may very well grow out of their acne in a few years!

So again: I urge you to find a doctor who isn't willing to used Accutane until you've exhausted all other options, and who seems knowledgeable about potential side effects. Even then, do your own research and decide if it's worth the risk. If you do start Accutane, STICK WITH IT even if you don't see immediate results! It was worth every miserable second for me to be rid of my embarrassing acne for good.

Meh so far... help?
Reviewed on December 5, 2017

I'm on my 45th day of accutane treatment of 30mg a day. My acne has been breaking out worse than it ever was before, but otherwise I am experiencing basically negligible side effects. Slightly dry lips, but that's it. Is my dosage too low? Is that why my breakout is so prolonged? I'm 19, 60kgs.

by Solomon92 on 01/23/2018 01:32
Breakout should completely stop by month 3. Yes you need 60 mg for a full recovery. Good luck
Accutane changed my life :))
Reviewed on November 25, 2017

Have read so many reviews on Acne.org and visited the site so many times with the hope of finding a cure to Acne. I had promised myself that if I did find something that worked I would definitely post a review, so here it is!

I had suffered from moderate to mild but persistent acne for 3 years. It started when I was around 16. It was such a confidence killer for me and made me extremely concious. I tried everything there was to try- from all sorts of cream to face washes, home cures, face packs. But nothing just seemed to work. 3 years later I decided to go see the dermatoligist for the second time. That's when he prescribed me accutane. Another dermatoligist had prescribed me accutane a year back but I did not take it then as the huge list side effects scared me. My biggest regret would be not taking it then. :(

So I started Accutane with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism. My skin was pretty much the same for 2 weeks then it detoriated a little for the next 2 weeks. My face was all red and disgusting. And then everything changed completely. Waking up every morning and seeing my skin get better everyday was the best feeling in the world. My skin was mostly clear after a months time and now after taking accutane for 6 months, it is completely flawless. People really underestimate how good a clear skin feels. I feel confident and happy. I feel like myself after such a long period of time. Not worrying about your skin and how you look all the time is so liberating. I remember when I had acne, I would constantly keep looking myself at the mirror to see some progress and try a thousand things everyday.

Accutane changed my life and I really would reccomemd it to everyone. I had my apprehensions, but now that I have seen the results I only have one regret- I wish I had taken it before! Nevertheless grateful... So if there is anyone with Acne who has lost all hope and is reading this, please please please give Accutane a try, it is worth it. As happy as I am with my skin, there is this one big fear- what if my acne returns when I stop with the medication.. One can only hope it doesn't ! :)

Pros and cons
Reviewed on November 21, 2017

I went on a 4-6 month course of moderate strength roaccutane 3 years ago for moderate to severe acne. My acne was totally clear within a couple months of starting the course and at the time of taking it just had the side effects of dry skin and eyes, regular mild nose bleeds and cracked lips that would often bleed at the corners. They couldn’t increase my dose because my cholesterol kept going high despite the fact I’m a young healthy 24 year old at the time. My skin stayed clear for probably 6 months post treatment then I started getting small spots again. It was mild for probably 12-18 months and then worsened more. I’m not at the point where I’m considering another treatment because it’s now moderate. I never get cystic acne now but just a lot of spots again. Before treatment I’d say my acne was 7/10, with 10 being the worse ever and 1 being very mild acne. I’d say it’s 4/10 now but still enough to bother me. I’ve tried creams and contraceptive pill that help a bit but my dermatologist says it’s just keeping it at bay and will never be a long term fix. I’m worried about when I get older and want a family and I can’t use anything for my skin, what will it be like then!? Downsides also to the drug I had severe hair loss which I think started 1 year or so after. I lost about half my hair thickness and my hair became dry and broke very easily. It’s taken 3 years for it to almost grow back but it’s probably 70% as thick as it used to be. Thankfully I have naturally very thick hair. I also get very lethargic and short of breathe easily and I think this started after the roaccutane. Doctors can’t find a cause for this. So really in two minds about going back on it!

by Solomon92 on 01/23/2018 01:35
Seems accutain was still in your gut.
Perfect, temporary
Reviewed on November 19, 2017

My acne came back after 2 years of perfect clear skin , disappointed , and it also made my hair thinnerrrrr

best product
Reviewed on October 27, 2017

I used to have mild acne for over 10 years. Thanks to Accutane i have a clear face for over 1,5 years already. Besides one pimple a week, i am acne free. Everyday i wake up happy not worrying about pimples anymore. Life changer!

Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clinics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-free
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by the experts at Acne.org