Accutane (isotretinoin) Reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)
3.92,135 reviews

my experience so far

So im 16 and i struggled all through the last year of primary school and all throughout high school with severe acne. Some times were better, others not. My 'good' days were when my spots weren't red and inflamed they never seemed to go but when one did another 2 would replace that. i tried changing my daily routine, from what i was eating to exercising, home made 'remedies' all i can say for that is dont believe everything you read on the internet. It eventually got to the point where all the doctors and nurses at my doctors knew me, thats how regularly id been going to either get a new prescription or because the stuff i had wasn't working for me. This went on for about a year until my doctor finally told me about a dermatologist and booked me an appointment. i went had the blood test and weighing procedures, if im honest i was terrified about going on this, all the side effects potentially life threatening ones nearly stopped me from going on accutane. I went back saying i didnt want to risk it but my dermo insisted i should as they don't open this up to many people and turn away most that are asking for it. so i gave in, the first month i was on 20mg because i was a baby and panicked about what it could do internally, i saw slight changes, just slightly dry lips. 2nd month i was upped onto 30mg my skin got much better but as my dosage upped i broke out,making me think this was all useless, side effect: slightly drier lips, bit of cracking in the corners, dandruff (but i seemed to have sorted that) im on my third month now, 40mg one day, 30mg the other, my skin has cleared up so well im left with maybe 2-3 but spots, these are really unnoticeable and i feel so much more confident going out, i have some red scars left but nothing concealer doesn't cover up. im looking to eventually get rid of my scars completely but im in no rush. overall my experience has been so good so far, the only side effects ive had is dry lips and i went a couple of weeks not eating properly so lost alot of weight but thats all sorted now and im eating well again. One positive is i can go for 3-5 days without having to wash my hair now!

Comments

Finally something that helped!!

I promised myself that if I find the product that would help my acne I would share my experience cause I know how painfully depressing is to have acne and not knowing what will actually help you or just make it worse. So here is my story I had acne since I was like 12. They were on my face, chest, arms, legs, practically everywhere. Before taking accutane I tried all kinds of cosmetic products and nothing worked as a matter of fact it usually got a lot worse or my skin got completly dried out but acne always came back.I also tried changing my diet and started homeopathic treatments but that didn't help either. My family has a really healthy lifestyle so I was avoiding any medications and was looking for other options. I went to like 5 different dermatologist and most of them suggested tetracycline antibiotics but as I was against antibiotic at that time they said chemical peeling could also help. Well they didnt, I just throw a bunch of money out of the window. Then I started to use some antibiotic cremes that made my skin red and my acne worse. I hated myself because of my skin, it affected every aspect of my life and I was miserable and depressed beacuse of it. After crying all days, not wanting to show myself in public and having no will to live I had enough and at the age of 19 I decided to go on medication after all. Dermatologist suggested accutane or tetracycline. Cause I read a lot of bad comments on tetracycline- how more than 70% of people got their acne back after taking it and cause I heard a lot of good ones about accutane and also knew some people accutane helped I decided for accutane - rouaccutane.I know there are a lot of terrible side effects but my hatred for acne outweighted all of them. Cause I am really really impatient I was expecting results to come right away but at the beginning it actually got worse. It didn't improve even after 3 months when you supposed to see improvements. I was devestated as accutane was my last solution in acne war. Dermatologist comforted me and said that when does it comes to improvement varies from pacient to pacient. I was impatiently waiting and at the end of the month five my acne actually started to got better! I still got occasional pimple or two but that was nothing to compare as it was before. I was so happy and could actually start wearing open back shirts and look people in the eyes when I talked to them cause my skin finally wasn't an obstacle anymore. Right now I'm on month 7 with last box of accutane and my skin is acne free with occasional small pimples before period still faaar from skin I once had. I was on 10mg at the begining than on 20 mg from second month till month 6 when I got back to 10mg. Regarding the side effects I only had a dry skin and lips nothing else! It is really importent that they don't scare you and that you don't focuse on them because I think they got a lot to do with your mind. My whole treatment I was just thinking about when it will get better never of side effects and maybe that's why I didn't get any (apart from dry skin and lips which really isn't a big deal). :) I hope I didn't write too much and that my experience helped you in any way! I really suggest accutane especially to people who have been suffering from acne a long time and no other treatment worked out for them. I know how horrible is to have acne so just have faith and try to think positive(even though it's hard at times) and believe me it will get better!

Comments

would recommend but not for the faint at heart

Accutane did everything I thought I would. At first it seemed to make my acne worse. for month 2-4 I was taking 80mg of isotretinoin and still getting huge breakouts- worse than before i started. However once month 5 came along, suddenly all the breakouts stopped. I did 6 months of Accutane and now 2 months later i have yet to get a single zit since month 5. 3 month of no zits? I'm crying tears of joy; It made the side effects worth it. I haven't had skin this clear since before puberty. The worst side effects for me were horrible cracking/peeling lips and constant bloody/scabbing nose. I literally could not leave my house without a tube of vasaline. I had situations where I would have to leave work or school to go back to my house to get my Vasaline bc my lips were bleeding so bad from being dry. I also experienced rashes on my hands and arms, a messed up menstrual cycle, constipation, dry scalp (which was actually nice because i have oily hair), and sore joints. The pregnancy tests and blood draws were terribly annoying but understandable considering the birth defect risk. overall- worth it (as long as I never have to do it again). However, prepare yourself for the side effects.

Not worth it

The choice I made to start taking Accutane was not one of my best. I used to have very severe acne, to the point where I was the second most acne riddled person in middle school. but since then, while I still have it and get breakouts from time to time, I haven't considered it a problem since. However, when I heard that Accutane was pretty much the cure for acne, I decided it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Ohh but it did. I knew it had risks when I started, but those risks and side effects are very rare. I figured what were the chances they would happen to me? I was only on it for a little over a month, and the problems only became apparent to me when I stopped. It caused severe anxiety, a massive change in personality, and I felt like I was losing touch with who I am. When I made the choice to stop, some of the more serious problems showed up for a little bit. I started hearing things that weren't real, I lost my appetite, and I became one of the most irritable people you could ever meet. After talking to my doctor about these symptoms I was experiencing, I was told that it was causing a condition called psychosis. If I had continued to take these pills, I would have had to live with that for the rest of my life. Taking Accutane is like a Russian roulette and I got the bullet. Now that I've been able to clear my head, I noticed the memories I made while taking Accutane just don't feel real to me anymore. It was like I was watching a movie; I remember, but I know it wasn't real. While my head was under this spell, I managed to make some of the worst mistakes in my life. My friends had stopped wanting to be around me because they didn't like how I was acting. There was a girl who I really liked who stopped wanting to be around me because I started acting weird and creepy. I put a couple people in prison because I was in a bad mood. I was so filled with emotion, I cried more on Accutane than I had since I was six years old. I probably scared the shit out of this girl too, because she wants me to stay out of her life now. I had so much anxiety about it and I kept on bothering her about how she doesn't want to hang out anymore. Nothing felt worse than to have someone who once enjoyed your company start avoiding you at all costs. Once I realized how much I've been scaring her, my anxiety got worse and I had the first anxiety attack that I've ever had in my life. I felt like the worst person in the world and thought they should lock me up. After stopping the pills, I had to go to therapy for the first time ever, and I was put on a new medication to fix the problems that the old one caused. The thing is, for most people Accutane really works! But after experiencing the worst of the side effects first hand, I just can't recommend it. I don't wish to have my experience shared by even the worst of my enemies. It was the strangest point in my life and I regret the decision to take it more than any choice I've ever made. Even with my head cleared, I'm still going to have to deal with the consequences of my actions while I was on it. My college room mate switched on me, and now I'm going to have this girl hating me forever. I'm just glad I stopped taking it in time. I got a taste of what living with psychosis can be like and I swear if I had to live like that forever then I would have ended myself.

Comments

Extremely effective but be aware of the side effects.

Ive been battling severe acne since 2013. I’m now 19 years old and have been on accurane since January 2017. I wish I could post my before and after. Its amazing. I had cystic acne that destroyed the texture of my skin. I ALWAYS had at least a couple big painful cysts on my face surrounded by various smaller bumps. I was on Tetracycline which failed to make any difference whatsoever. I took the leap to Accutane and my acne was completely cleared in a matter of 3-4 months on it. After time, my acne scars have significantly faded as well and my skins texture is smooth and my skin is actually glowing! This however is an extremely powerful drug that effects more than just the skin. Some minor side effects ive personally noticed is increased hair loss, dry skin for the first few weeks and extremely dry, unrepairable lips. I cannot repair my lips no matter what i try or how much i spend. I assume as long as im taking accutane this problem will be persistent. The major side effects occur mentally. I would honestly probably look for another method of clearing acne if you have any prior mental health issues. I never considered myself depressed before accutane. Probably about 3-4 months in I was diagnosed with depression and put on anto depressants. They failed to work and at about the 6 month mark on accutane i grew extremely suicidal. This past christmas I attempted suicide. And i still live with perpetual suicidal thoughts. Since May 2018, ive been having panic attacks. This has brought on a whole new list of side effects such as having no energy, inability to sleep and at times extreme, overwhelming thoughts of suicide. I find myself uncontrollably crying every single day. This is not necessarily the cure for self-esteem issues caused by acne. Please consider ALL the possible side effects before starting this drug. Because you will most likely be on it for years and the cons can start to definitely outweigh the pros. I have decided against discontining my use of accutane simply because i think if I stopped my acne would come back further damaging my self esteem. I really don’t understand why this is prescribed so easily to teens. Teenage acne is normal. Accutane should only be prescribed as a last resort. While It 100% has worked for my teenage acne, the side effects will be taken through my adult years.

Comments

Don’t take it unless you absolutely have to

Taking this medication was a horrible mistake. I took it for a year, and a year after being done with medication, I still experience awful side effects. Joint pain, tingling in body, dry mouth and DRY EYES. These are only some side effects I’m still experiencing after taking it. On top of all, my acne came back. This medication is NOT worth all the pain you will endure during and after taking it. If I could go back in time I’d never take Accutane.

Comments

It worked for a while my acne was back!

I was on accutane when I graduated high school (2015). I had bad hormonal acne, back acne and chest acne. I decided to go see a dermatologist because I decided I try with one since all my life I've treated my acne with home remedies, over the counter products and creams(it helped temporarily). I walked into the dermatologist explaining my situation I remember telling her "I'm tired of not having clear skin like my friends" I got to a point where seeing my skin full of acne/white heads was normal and I never really knew how bad it was until I tried ACCUTANE. Long story short the dermatologist looked at my face my back and my chest and right away told me about accutane she explained to me allllll the dryness it caused and side effects. I was put on birth control while i was on it. After the 2 month I saw AMAZING improvements my pores were smaller my skin was glowing!!! I had so much confidence in myself like never before! After finishing my 6 months on a 40mg... (20mg was my starting point) I was so happy i was going to be off of it!! 4 months passed and my acne came back only on my right side (that was always my acne problem) for some dumb ass reason I tried birth control again and it was such a horrible mistake!!! I now have acne all over my chin and jaw my cheeks as well it wont go away... I would hate to go back to accutane :(

Isotretinoin (Accutane) Experience

Honest Review of Isotretinoin: I suffered with cystic acne throughout middle school / high school, during which I had been taking many different types of antibiotics and topical creams. I found that the antibiotics (or Tetracyclines) never seemed to defeat my stubborn / persistent acne, so my dermatologist finally gave me permission to take Accutane. I started taking Accutane in my junior year of high school, initially starting at 40mg and slowly moving up to 60mg. I went through 2 weeks of initial breakouts, but the improvements became noticeable within the first 2 months. In fact it completely cleared up my cystic acne and black heads around 3 months! I stayed on the medication for 6 months until my skin was 100% clear, and at that point I felt like I defeated the long battle with my acne. However fast forward to my first year of university, my acne unfortunately came back :( I knew instantly that my skin was acting abnormal, so within a couple months of struggling with acne cream and store bought acne treatments, I decided to go back on Accutane. ROUND TWO. During the second treatment I didn't notice the same improvements - my skin did not respond the same way it did to my first round. All it did was dry me out and lessen the severity of my breakouts by a small amount. I stayed on the medication for 4 months and never ended the treatment with clear skin. I am currently 19 years old and my skin is a lot different than it was when I was first prescribed Accutane. My biggest struggle today is small bumpy white heads along my jaw / lower cheek and chin. I'm currently beginning my journey with spironolactone in hopes that I'll never have to take a oral drug for acne again. SUMMARY: - Accutane works great for cystic acne (completely got rid of mine, but now I struggle with a different type of acne). - Accutane is NOT 100% effective. - Accutane is not guaranteed to provide lasting results (mine only lasted 1 year). - Accutane is a short term solution to manage an internal / hormonal issue (digestive, air quality, sex hormones, allergies). Go see a doctor to understand the root cause of your acne!!! Side Effects: dryness (mainly lips and nose) Treatment Length: 1st round: 6 months. 2nd round: 4 months. Initial Breakout: yes. Products Used While On Accutane: - Cetaphil moisturizer - Cetaphil cleanser - Dr Jart+ cicapair cream - Vaseline (lips)' - All natural cold pressed oils (jojoba, sea buckthorn, avocado oil) - used in alternation and in moderation. - AHA skin exfoliator

Accutane

My experience with accutane was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm 17y.o. and suffered from acne since I was 10. At forst it was mild but then it started getting worse. My problem area was mostly around the mouth and every month when i was in ovulation i got lots of cysts on the chin. I've tried everything and when i lost hope my dermatologist decided to put me on accutane. I took the pill in February March April May and June(30/30/30/20/10mg).This was honestly the best decision i have ever done because besides the side effects i saw my skin getting better with each dose and guys there is nothing better then gaining more and more confidence each day and recieving compliments on an area which was the thing you tried to make perfect 7 years out of 17. The feeling is just magical! I hope that it wont come back so wish me luck. If you are struggling with acne try it, it makes wonders and the side effects are even not that bad. Hope I helped!

Comments

My tips for girls on Accutane!

During Accutane- Dry Lips: one of the worst symptoms. Not a day goes by without dry lips, therefore not a day goes by without exfoliating your lips (I used various gentle and natural lip scrubs) and right after that I would apply aquaphor. I’d buy big bottles! Nothing tops this stuff. I would apply it all day long & for sure before bed. Dry face- this can be painful. But it only means it is doing what it should be! To help this, I would apply a little bit of moisturizer after washing my face in the a.m.& would repeat before bed. Make sure your moisturizer is good tho. You might have to spend some money on it but clearly if your skin needs accutane, it doesn’t need any yucky oils to take you back to where you started. I used the normal/oily dermologica skin set. It inludes toner, exfoliator, face wash, moisturizer, and even eye cream. I used it all! It made my skin glowwwww. It was pricey stuff! But worth it. Otherwise my face was dry, red, scaly,etc. SIDENOTE ON MAKEUP: ladies....accutane = no makeup.... it’s harddd to snatch your face with makeup while on accutane. I even used nice products on my face to hydrate & when I would apply makeup the texture would just not be right....if I knew that there was a day I HAD to wear makeup, I would prep first. Heavy hydration masks. Heavy moisturization. And shhh. I would even skip a few pills a couple days before. And even then, my face just wasn’t that amazing texture. But it gets better for you makeup lovers I promise! A month after accutane makeup looks sooo stunning! The medication is no longer intensely affecting your outer skin.P.S this is about foundation etc like glam......mascaras and some blush/highlighter/ a little bronzer can look just fine while on Accutane! Dry arms: this was a huge thing for me. I would get these dry red scab like things on my arms. this is really only in the winter though. When they healed, they would scar and I had like tons of white spots (scars) on my arms. Ew. To prevent this my doctor prescribed me a cream...I believe some type of cortizone.....but yeah I would definitely hydrate those arms if you are taking it during the winter. Inside of nose dryness: I started to get dried boogers and scabs in my nose that hurt sooo bad. Definitely search for a product that can hydrate your inner noses they exist. Hair:(- a sad side effect for me:(:( lots of hair loss. I noticed this the first round of accutane. And before I could see if it would grow back I was being put on round #2 because my acne is just that bad and genetic. So this second round I am using absolutely NO heat, NO color, and NO hot water in the shower. NO harsh pony tails only scrunchies! NO messy buns, your hair will break! Sleep in braids and wear braids often! Wear hair down natural as much as possible ladies.do not wash your hair a lot. Use a gentle brush! And a wet brand brush to brush after showers. Use leave in conditioner & conditioning treatments! Trim dead ends if necessary! Trust me on this. Use a very very VERY moisturizing, protein rich, healthy shampoo and conditioner. After accutane: always use sunscreen! The sun will bring acne back! Always cleanse your face and use great facial products on your face! Take vitamins!

Comments

Takes time but oh so worth it!!

I've never written a review on anything before but during my Accutane journey, reading the positive reviews were one of the major reasons I kept pushing through. I thought I better add to this collection in hopes it helps someone someday too! Background: I am a 24 year old female with a greasy complexion. I have battled acne since I have been about 15 years old. I have tried it all: birth control, antibiotics, every cream, lotion, and wash imaginable for little to no effect. I began to get progressively worse hormonal acne (I noticed I would heavily breakout around that time of the month). Just when I was getting these multiple breakouts under control, it would be that time again and the vicious cycle would repeat. I have always been a confident woman, and while this acne didn't utterly destroy me, I understood the hurt of looking into the mirror and seeing an inflamed, sore, bumpy face staring back at me. I knew it was time to bring in the big guns. First Steps: I knew quite a bit about Accutane already, as I'm sure anyone who is a chronic acne sufferer has endlessly searched Google for remedies and has come across this controversial drug as well. I am also a nurse so I have heard and seen this drug in my workplace. I knew I had to suggest it to my doctor. DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE! Read the ins and outs of the drug, read positive and negative reviews, read about timelines, side effects, precautions, dosing, etc and just get educated! Try to form an opinion about Accutane for yourself without being too bias one way or the other. When you go see your doctor with confidence of starting the drug, they will be more willing to make a plan with you. My family doctor (who does not specialize in dermatology but has the capabilities of prescribing Accutane) was extremely receptive in prescribing me it after I talked to her about it and proved I was educated on the matter. She sent me for baseline bloodwork and a pregnancy test, and then I booked a follow-up appointment with her for the following week. Dosing: After reading multiple peer-reviewed articles and journals, I discovered the cumulative goal dose of Accutane to prevent relapse is 120-150 mg/kg. I am approximately 75 kg, therefore I required 9000-11250 mg total Accutane over my treatment course. The recommended daily dose is 0.5-1.0 mg/kg. Typically you start low, then increase dosage monthly as your body becomes more tolerant. My 6 month Accutane dosing was as follows: Month 1 - 30 mg/day (900 mg total) Month 2 - 40 mg/day (1200 mg total) Month 3 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 4 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 5 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 6 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) For a cumulative dose of 9300 mg total. Journey: After 1 month, there was absolutely NO change to my acne. The only noticeable changes were the dry lips. This wasn't a surprise to me, so onward we go! Month 2, still hardly no change. Just more of the negative side effects - dryer lips, eyes, and skin. Keep going, keep going. Month 3 and 4 were the toughest months in this journey by far, and from reading tons of other reviews, it sounds like this is the common trend. Anyone who knows anything about Accutane has read about "the purge". Basically, the drug is healing your skin from the inside out so all the breakouts that begin to happen during this time were already going to happen eventually anyway, but the Accutane makes them all happen and heal at the same time. This was a tough time for me. I felt others were noticing my nasty breakouts more than even before I had started the drug. Not to mention, my skin was so dry that attempting to cover up with makeup almost made it look more awful. One of the only things that made me continuing taking my pills was reading review after review to KEEP GOING BECAUSE IT WILL GET BETTER! I thought over and over that I must be in that small group of people that Accutane doesn't work for. But I kept going and am I ever happy I did! By the end of month 4 I started noticing big changes (and GOOD changes!) My face was clearing and the remaining pimples seemed quite superficial, no more deep cysts! Month 5 and 6 were amazing! Day by day, my face was clearer! Washing your face and not feeling any bumps is one of the best feelings in the entire world for an acne sufferer. Not to mention, as the acne healed, the dryness let up a bit. I have finally wrapped up my journey just a couple weeks ago and I am fully comfortable heading out makeup free. I am happy, confident, and so proud of myself that I pushed through. Side Effects: The only side effects I had were dryness/flakiness/redness. My face, lips, eyes, and back of hands got hit the hardest. I changed my face wash to Cetaphil and moisturizer to CeraVe. I used Aquaphor on my lips and hands. And I used Systane eye drops. If you have taken anything from this review, it's to push through your Accutane journey. You're going to want to give up, you're going to think it's not going to work, you're likely going to get worse acne temporarily before it gets better. KEEP GOING!!!! I did and am so grateful for reviews such as these for telling me to do so.

We'll see how this goes

I haven't been on Claravis long but I'm on 40mg. I'm 27 and I have had mild-moderate acne on only my face for my entire adult life, it's very much hormonal and my face/hair has always been oily. Multiple doctors tried to sell me on accutane and I refused for years, I finally gave up. I have tried everything you can think of, I'm currently on spironolactone, hormonal birth control pills, and use aczone. . . I was using all 3 prior to accutane and my skin looks the best it has in years. I also moved from Florida to the PNW and this helped my skin because I spend less time in the sun, sweaty and hot. I mostly am just tired of having elaborate facial routines and ruining my clothes/towels/sheets with acne products/bleaching. My doctor reduced my dose of spironolactone while on accutane. I gave up drinking altogether but I have never been much of a drinker, I also have a medical background and value my liver too much to mix medications and alcohol. I did a TON of research prior to starting accutane and ordered: chapstick, lotion, aquaphor, eye drops, hydrating shampoo, thicker moisturizer, new sunscreen. . . and came prepared for battle with dry skin. I also take my accutane with fish oil pills and some version of fatty food. I have always drank lots of water, exercise every day, eat pretty good and wear sunscreen every day (I'm incredibly fair skinned). 5 days in and thus far, my only side effect has been dry lips (I managed them with aquaphor and chapstick with sunscreen),and a pressure headache which improved with Tylenol. Here is to hoping this jazz works, I hate messing with my hormones, I just want my face to not have new spots, old spots, and scars. . . all those chemical peels and microneedling only work for removing scars if you can prevent new break outs.

My opinion of Accutane after one month on 40mg

I was recommended Accutane for my skin years ago as a teenager after suffering moderate acne throughout high school that became cystic by the time I was about 17. Now (at 23) I have it mostly on my jawline and forehead but I get flareups on my back and upper arms randomly, possibly due to stress. I put it off for years because of some of the horrific side effects, and I didn't want cracked bloody lips or flakey skin when I was going to school or while I had a job, Im a very self conscious person and hiding dryness with makeup is impossible. But after my father passed away the stress it put me through started up the worst flare up of my life and I needed to do something about it. I was in a deep horrible depression and I was graduated from college and in between jobs so I decided to finally start treatment. By the time I jumped through all the hoops to get the medication my skin was a little bit healed from a bad breakout, so I think that helped avoid the "initial breakout" a lot of people complain about. I had about the same amount of zits that I would usually have for the first two weeks. It wasn't until I started experiencing the drugs side effects that I noticed my skin clear up at the 2-3 week mark. My eyes got dry, the inside of my nose got dry and bloody, and my lips got dry too but not nearly as bad as I expected. I just needed to upgrade my chapstick from Burt's Bees to Aquaphor at the three week mark and they healed up. My skin got smoother and smoother, and aside from some flakiness around my nose it wasn't too dry at all (I thank my Nivea soft moisturizer with jojoba and vitamin E, it saved me from eczema as well). Another side effect that I LOVE is that my hair isn't greasy anymore and I can go days without washing it. It's actually growing now because I used to wash and dry and heat treat it so much it would just break off and stay the same length. I'm so happy. I wear foundation and I don't have to blot the oil off my skin every hour as well, it looks fresh and matte all day. I know some people experience a lot worse side effects, and Im lucky its working so well for me, but even If I was a flaky bloody mess for four months It would still be worth it for the clear skin. I'm feeling more confident than i've ever felt and my anxiety and depression has been slowly improving. I went camping at a two day rave and didn't have to stress about makeup or how my skin would be and it felt SO GOOD. I felt free and alive. Im excited for the months to come because my skin continues to improve and my hair is growing longer and I don't have to put as much effort into my morning routine which helps me get up and leave the house more often. Five stars, I would give it 100 stars if I could.

My Isotretinoin journey

Hi, I wanted to leave a review after finishing isotretinoin over a 8 month period. I read so many reviews that helped so want to do my bit... So...a bit about me: I'm a 28 year old female who had suffered from mild acne since my teens. My acne really wasn't that bad, hence most people wouldn't have defined it as acne. More or less, I had 2-3 active pimples at any given time, which meant I thought it could be easily treated with over the counter treatments. These never worked. My frustration grew. When I was 27 I went to a doctor in London (where I had moved one year prior from Australia). I explained to the doc that I still broke out and given my age, it was becoming a problem because it should have cleared up. I had been on various birth control pills, had an ultrasound for polycystic ovaries, but none of that had worked. I was referred to a dermatologist on the NHS. When I met with the derm she suggested accutane. I was very hesitant because I'd heard so many bad things about the side effects. I have had depression and wasn't keen to start medication that might affect my mood. She explained that if I went on anti-biotics, the chances were that the acne would return once I got off, so accutane was my best bet and I could start on a very low dose to reduce symptoms of side effects. After doing a lot of research I decided to give it a shot. I am 6ft tall and weighed 8-kg, so I was going to need more than your average girl. I still only started on 20mg per day. After 2 weeks or so I started getting dry lips, but they weren't too bad. I continued on the 20mg for a couple of months (no real improvement in my skin, and in fact it was getting worse). I upped to 40mg, but still no improvement and again...it was getting worse. I was obviously very upset, but the derm said I should still persevere and we upped it to 60mg, coupled with some steroids to combat the inflammation. It was at that point where I saw massive improvements. I stopped breaking out and was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I stayed on 60mg for a few months before going up to 80mg as I wanted the course to finish as soon as possible. My lips were dry, but I didn't get the skin peeling or other major side effects. What I did notice though was that my hair became very VERY dry. I have long hair and was losing more hair than I usually did. Fortunately, my mood was OK and if I was down, it was probably due to my living/work situation. After 8.5 months I finished the course and after a week or so my lips got better. It's now been 3 months since taking it and I haven't had a single pimple or break out. My scalp has started to produce oil again, which I hope will fix my hair, but I have just started taking hair loss/strengthening supplements called Nourkrin and I hope that will help improve the health of my scalp and hair. In a nutshell: It was disappointing at the beginning, but I am so glad I stuck with it as I now get compliments on my skin (this had literally never happened ever in my life). I still have faint red marks on my skin from the old scars (my skin is very sensitive so when I used to get pimples they'd leave marks which lasted for very long periods of time). I may consider laser treatment to deal with these residual marks, but I suspect they will fade with more time. Hoping the supplements improve the condition of my hair which has been the worst casualty of isotretinoin.

Helped for Awhile

So I don't know if my review is going to help, for I was on Accutane 20 years ago. However, maybe it will help some people who are currently starting out on Accutane or are in treatment. Some background: I had suffered with acne since the age of 14, but acne got progressively worse in my 20's. I found out much later down the road it was hormonal acne. I tried so many treatments, from otc products to prescription-strength medications and finally got fed-up at the age of 25. The Accutane rules were a bit different back then - not quite as strict. For women, you still had to take a pregnancy test, but only once a month as opposed to two (I know this because I almost went on it again but bailed out at the last minute). You still had to be on two forms of birth control and get monthly blood work (I think it was for liver testing?). I don't recall having to go through such a strict clearance to pick up a prescription every month, but my memory could be off. Anyway, the first month or so, my acne did get worse before it got better. My skin got very dry and my lips were ridiculously chapped and dry, to the point where they were cracked, bleeding, and peeling. People even asked what was wrong with my lips. No amount of lip balm seemed to help. To this day, 20 years later, I have perpetually dry lips. Luckily, lip products have come a long way since then and they now have a lot of great overnight lip masks that you can use (thank you Sephora!). But regular Aquaphor works very well. My vision also became very blurry and I remember my eyes being dry. I can't recall any other side effects off the top of my head. But after awhile, I began to see amazing progress. By the end of the treatment, my skin was beautiful and clear. Not a pimple to be found anywhere! My skin stayed clear for three wonderful years. And then gradually returned. I was so disappointed. As I mentioned earlier, I never did do a second round of Accutane. It was around the time that I wanted to have kids and I was too scared to. And when I tried a new dermatologist, she did not recommend it and put me on another regimen instead. I really, truly, hope it works for you long-term. I will never forget those three years of beautiful skin. It was worth the side effects to experience that. It changed my skin texture, cleared up the marks on my face, everything. It was truly life-changing for me. I hope it is for you too!

Before I begin Accutane

I’m just about to start Accutane, however I am a male and I’m 17 years old, I’ve been told I have moderate/severe acne but in other cases some people tell me I have hormonal acne just like my brother did who was the same as me, however cleared up when he was 19-20 and he’s now 22 and never gets a pimple. I get my acne along my jawline, neck, around the lower mouth, chin... let’s say the lower parts of my face mainly but also on my chest and back! I weigh 73kg and my dermo is putting me on 20mg to start with, the reason being is because I have a wedding to go to in 6 weeks and I was scared I would face the initial break out just before the wedding and I didn’t want to have dry flaky skin also. He told me because of my weight i’d be fine on 20mg and I should not break out for the wedding, he asked me to get back to him in 6 weeks for results. I want to know whether I should listen and go ahead or is it best to wait, will I most likely break out because I’m not going to lie I am so scared and sonscience about what’s going to happen!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Comments

Excited to start my course of treatment

Going to start with 5 stars and retract once I've actually experienced treatment. I haven't personally started isotretinoin yet. I was primed to start back in August 2017 before finding out I was pregnant and my treatment plan put on delay. After reading all the reviews (which have been extremely helpful), I've decided the benefits out weight the risks. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and I will check back here once I start my treatment (within about six months) and give my honest review. P.S. Moderate/Severe itchy cystic (keloid-type) acne in jawline area.

Was it a planned pregnancy? I was amazed when I was reading up on Accutane how many women get pregnant after finishing Accutane and have to go back on it after their baby is born. . . the hormonal changes make them break out. So maybe you dodged a bullet!

Accutane and initial breakout

My doctor prescribe me accutane 20mg a day as i am having severe acne, its an end of 2nd week and i am experiencing initial breakouts dnt know why my doctor prescribe me this for 20 days and call me again for checkup, Is really accutane works?? coz m still having breakouts every new fay with a new pimple on face

Accutane

what are side effects if taking cold medicines or drinking alcohol ocassionally?

From what I have read, cold medicines and alcohol are metabolized in your liver and so is Accutane. So you're just making it work harder. Many people have also said they get drunk faster and on less alcohol while on Accutane. I honestly would say it's ill-advised to drink while on Accutane but you do you. I personally decided not to drink while on Accutane. I also figure most drugs have some metabolic process in the kidneys too and I want my liver to work with my kidneys as much as possible. My liver and I have this loving relationship because I want it to stick around and it has more documented medical functions than the human brain.

Changed my life

I live in the UK and went on Roaccutane 30mg for 5 months in early 2016. Did LOTS of research and convinced my doctor that i wanted to try it. Now February 2018 and i don't know why I spent 10 years of my life dealing with acne when I could have changed my life so much earlier.. Best decision I ever made and I pray that the effects last. In terms of health, I am quite sensitive and was worried about the side effects, but after watching lots of youtube videos I decided the risks were worth it for me. The only side effects I got were: 2 nosebleeds and dry lips (to the extent that i couldn't wear lipstick for 5 months) - these are side effects I was grateful for as I know it could have been a lot worse. All I have to say is, don't let everyone's reviews below discourage you from trying it, because lets be honest no one has the exact same experience. if after a few weeks you aren't feeling it you can always stop and tell your doctor. I say it's worth a shot, especially if you end up feeling as happy as i do now.

If I could give it zero stars, I would

Taking Accutane was a HUGE mistake! I took it because I had been battling acne for over a decade. I did not have cystic acne but my face was always full of pimples and some were quite painful. The entire month and a half I took it, I was severely sick to my stomach. I missed several days of work and could not keep any food down. I also developed the largest pustules I have ever had in my life. The only acne scars I have on my face are from the breakouts I had while on Accutane. It still upsets me, over a decade later, that i could have been scar free if I hadn't taken this drug. I also believe my immune system was severely compromised from taking Accutane. I got terrible colds the following 2 winters in a row that I had a terrible time fighting off. Prior to taking Accutane, I would only get minor colds in the winter. If you are a female with hormonal acne, I highly recommend trying Spironolactone first. 50mg 2x a day has kept my skin clear for 9 years now. Absolutely nothing else worked for me except Spironolactone. I know that some people with cystic acne do have success with Accutane. But it was a horrible nightmare for me. I recommend females try Spiro first before resorting to such a damaging drug as Accutane. Unfortunately, guys cannot take Spiro due to side effects in the male body.

I’m doing great on low dose Accutane! It has cleared my skin with few side effects. It has also reduced my sebaceous hyperplasia. Maybe you were dosed too high...

Side effects were manageable for me

180lb male age 23 duration: 214 days (~7months) dose: 40mg for 2 months, 60mg for 1 month then 80mg for the remaining months, respectively. I paid about $20 a month after bcbs insurance covered most of it. before isotretinoin: applied chapstick 2-3 times daily applied lotions only to elbows and feet during the winter eyes almost never dry easily complete an hour weight lifting workout with energy to spare during isotretinoin: -apply lip moisturizer up to 10 times a day, and even waking up in the middle of the night to do so -apply lotion at least once a day or get rashes -dry eyes in the evening sometimes made it difficult to read -nose was very dry, almost never had any moisture -my face flaked dead skin -any minor cut seemed to be redder than normal and take longer to heal -lifting weights became a little more difficult due to some joint pain, and feeling fatigued more easily; cut workouts to 30-40 min -**i got probably 50% more acne than i originally had during the first 4 months of my treatment** When it finally got into the summer time all the dryness related side effects reduced and made me significantly more comfortable I never got any sunburn, but only because i put on LOADS of sunscreen and avoided the sun whenever possible. i stopped treatment 8 months ago and i've had maybe a dozen pimples since. i still have some light acne scarring but i am treating it successfully with hydroquinone. all the side effects are back to normal. Thankfully nothing has been permanent. Overall I'd say it was worth it

Roaccutane UK 2017 May - Dec, male.

Male 34 Roaccutane 20mg x 2 months, 30 mg x 2 months, 40mg x 4 months. Ok, just the facts. Had very oily and skin and custic acne. I tried benzoyl peroxide 10%, differin, treclin, isoxtrein, tetralysal, epiduo, and most of the over the counter medicines Side effects. 2nd day very bad headache, though it went away and never had one agiain I cried at work once when my tablets went up to 30mg on the beginning of month 3, I wasn't sad at all. Just stared crying, I was totally fine after about 5 minutes... and I never got that again. I got slight eczema on my forearms but that went away instantly with moisturizer. That's it. Nothing else happened, my cholesterol went up a bit, but not a problem. My skin started to get better straight away no real initial breakout. My skin got dry and looked not very good for about 10 days on week 2 but then it just got better and better. At the end of the course I look almost perfect and havent had any spots for like half a year, I have been on it for 8 months. No hair loss, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no blood in toilet, no bowel problems All this is purely my experience. Please make your decision carefully. I am happy to answer any and all questions X

Comments

Definitely worked but with side effects.

I started isotretinon when my whole face, especially cheeks were full of very painful, large cystic acne. I noticed difference in 30 days itself. And in the next 20 days, I had only small pimples that would last 3-4 days and then go away. I did not use it more than 50 days. Reason: it damaged my liver. It increased my ALT/AST levels by almost 8-10 times the normal. Before I got the liver function test done, I was going through a horrible condition. I would sleep almost 14 hours a day, and yet I felt tired and struggled to stay awake in the remaining hours. I had started dreaming excessively, could barely concentrate while studying and felt depressed too. I was able to make the connection when I stopped the pills and within 4-5 days I felt very active, would sleep 7-8 hours, and felt lighter and happier. These pills are no joke. They work, but if you must use them, then educate yourself about the side effects and ask your doctor how you can minimise the side effects. I do not think there has been any long term side effect for me (my liver test came normal after a month of quitting the pills).

Did you take it with fatty foods? or drink alcohol while taking it? Were you on other medications? Did you drink enough water while on it? Do you have a family history of liver or kidney problems?

Accutane Will Change Your Life!!

I'm going to write a very detailed review, but I'll summarize quickly: Accutane worked for me, but there were lasting side effects. I would encourage anyone considering the medication to do their research and really weigh out whether their acne is bad enough that risking long term side effects would be worth it. For me, I was 32 and my cystic acne had been ruining my confidence for over a decade. It was so worth it. The first month or so on Accutane, I experienced "flushing," i.e. redness and heat of my face, and a rough texture. Everything started to get dry, especially my lips. My acne began to clear almost immediately, which is NOT typical, and in fact I've read that some people don't see results until well AFTER they've completed their treatment! The second month, these side effects continued, as well as new ones: I'm really active in strength training and mountain biking, and I noticed a lot of pain in my lower body joints, especially my right hip. My hips were popping a lot. This was really discouraging, I didn't want to stop working out, but I really had to tone it down. When I had minor crashes on my mountain bike, they HURT and I bruised badly. My lips peeled constantly, I sweat more than usual and had hot flashes. Third month, I had blood with a bowel movement. Bright red, horrifying blood. I saw a doctor immediately, as is indicated by the warnings on this medication, because intestinal diseases are a potential side effect. Luckily, it turned out to be an internal hemorrhoid, and the tissue thinning that happens with Accutane just exacerbated the condition, so I was able to continue my course safely with no recurrence after I finished my course. I finished about five and a half months of the treatment, and here's the end result: I rarely break out, and when I do it's nothing compared to my old acne. My skin and hair are less oily. It's wonderful. The downside is that the flushing I experienced early in my treatment turned out to be a long term effect of Accutane; I now have mild rosacea that needs to be treated with a topical to keep my skin clear and smooth. No big deal. The worst of my lasting problems is my hip: Both hips still pop frequently and I think I caused a chronic hip injury by continuing to stay active through the discomfort while I was on the drug, though it's not anything that keeps me from physical activity. BUT it's important to note that I have had issues with my lower body joints for years, so I do not believe this would have happened if I weren't prone to such problems to begin with. I have read lots of reviews from people blaming Accutane for conditions as severe as fibromyalgia, and I'm not buying it; based on my personal experience, I believe that Accutane can exacerbate pre-existing conditions, but I don't think it's likely to cause new ones. Most of the complaints about Accutane "causing" new conditions that I have read are from people who began Accutane as a teenager, so I think it just seemed like the drug "caused" their condition, but in reality they were probably just asymptomatic at that time because of their age. Which brings me to my second disclaimer: I would personally not recommend this drug for anyone who isn't fully grown. I'm frankly shocked that a drug with such severe potential side effects is prescribed to kids who may very well grow out of their acne in a few years! So again: I urge you to find a doctor who isn't willing to used Accutane until you've exhausted all other options, and who seems knowledgeable about potential side effects. Even then, do your own research and decide if it's worth the risk. If you do start Accutane, STICK WITH IT even if you don't see immediate results! It was worth every miserable second for me to be rid of my embarrassing acne for good.

Popular Oral