Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2099 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Acne comes back and it has side effects, but you have to keep trying
Reviewed on September 3, 2017

I had persistent mild acne all over my face, back and chest since I was 12, but when I turned 15 all the tiny pimples disappeared and instead I developed huge cystic pimples exclusively on my cheeks. My doctor prescribed me accutane right away. I started with 20 mg, and swtiched to 30 mg after the first box, that lasted about four months. I experienced light skin and lip dryness, but they would go easily away with moisurizing products. One worrying side effect I had was nose bleeding, which I experienced daily, but I've always been prone to that. I stopped for two months because summer came and the sun was dangerous for my skin while I was on those pills. In september I started treatment again for almost 6 months, again with 30 mg. When I finished the treatment the dryness took almost three months to disappear, but as soon as it did the acne came back, although not cystic but persistent light acne. After 6 months I've started the treatment again, but by now I'm experiencing light hair loss and hairline receding, which I have never noticed before. It is barely noticeable unless you look verly closely, but I'm a little freaked out because of fear of going bald, but I think if I stick to low doses over large periods of time I can minimize it and regrow hair once i finish. Overall I think it's still worth it.

Mixed feelings
Reviewed on August 28, 2017

Don't get me wrong, when I tried this 5 years it worked wonders, it was my fault for stopping a bit early and not going back as advised. I couldn't cope with my mood swings at the time. Looking back I regret it. I now have acne a lot worse and only after 10 weeks after starting accutane again I'm not seeing any improvement, dry lips again and the last 24hrs I've had a some scary heart palpitations, it's obviously due to the pills and is accompanied with a very slight niggling headache. I'm gonna see how it goes but I fear I may not get the chance to really give this a second chance. This medication worked last time and I hope it works again, however it would have been unrealistic to give it 5 stars as the dry lips is pure hell and heart palpitations is not good for anyone's standards. Anyone else had this problem?

So far so good
Reviewed on August 28, 2017

This is a partial review because I am only on this medication for two and a half months. So far, so good. I am 37 years old. Quick history of my acne: Severe case when I was 20 (it seemed it was an overnight flare out of the blue) - 2 years later I had it under control by using topical stuff but lots of damage had been done to my skin. Over the years I've done microdermabrasion, facials, fraxel and pixel to reduce scarring. I was also using ProActiv just to keep the flare-up at bay for almost 10 years. Fraxel made a huge difference in the appearance of the scarring. In January of 2017, I decided to go full natural products on my face as ProActiv was causing wrinkles around my eye area, that backfired on me (Lesson learned: Never do cold turkey on your skin). 3months into using natural products (March)I had full blown flare up with huge cystic acne even on my neck area and face became extremely oily. By April, I tried to return to ProActiv but it made my acne red and irritated so I discontinue it. At this point I was so down and thought there is no hope. I was depressed and hardly go out anymore. Going to work everyday was a dread. Finally went to dermatologist in May and right away she prescribed me with Accutane with brand name Claravis. I started the meds in June. Two and a half months later I can say that I was back to my old self. I am now able to go out, confidence is back and life is beginning to come back to normal. I still have acne here and there but definitely so much better than before. Just the fact that the oiliness has went away made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin. I had a purge in the first 2 weeks but slowly faded away. My derm said I should see full clearance around 4th or 5th month, I believe it since 2 and a half months so far made a huge difference. Side effects: Besides dry lips, virtually none. I keep up with a good moisturizer and lip balm, I'm good. Will update again once my full treatment is complete.

Best choice I ever made
Reviewed on August 25, 2017

Just thought you guys should hear a positive one for once. Accutane changed my skin for the better. I had dryness, peeling and some muscle aches in my ankles but that was all worth it. 2.5 years Later and my skin still looks amazing. Even my scars are gone! No more trying 1,000 different products and gimmicks, my skin was clear in one month from this medication. Yes there can be side effects, but if they are severe you listen to your doctor and stop taking it! Stop overthinking it and just try it. I wish I would have done it sooner. Good luck!

Isotretinoin 6 months course - fears before and an honest review
Reviewed on August 22, 2017

I suffered with bad skin since about 14 which is coming up 7 years. After going on 4 different pills and trying everything I was referred to a dermatologist for Isotretinoin.

I made the mistake of googling all the side effects and totally freaking myself out with all the horror stories that fill the internet but after A LOT of careful consideration I decided to proceed with the treatment. Honestly, it has been the best thing for me and I am so glad I have done it. I have 1-2 months left of my course and am now on the highest dose I can be on (they usually use your body weight as a guide for dosage.) It hasn't been a super quick process but I've been patient and have slowly seen the results. When I compare my skin to old photos now it's simply amazing!!

There are side effects with every drug and I do recommend carefully considering going on this treatment. I have only really experience dryness, particularly of the lips but nothing a good lip balm can't sort out, and I also get quite dry eyes so often need to apply some basic eye drops. Very occasionally I feel very stiff after the gym but that is rare.

Obviously one of my main concerns was the supposed links with mental health and taking Isotretinoin (roaccutane). Whilst I have never been severely depressed, I certainly had a few months of poor mental health where I just felt very flat and anxious due to life not going so great as is sometimes the way! I expressed my concerns to my dermatologist and he advised me to just be aware of how I'm feeling and also let people close to you know that you are going on it so they can monitor you also. In the 5 months I have been on it i can honestly say I've experienced no issues with mood at all. With that said, that is my personal experience so I still think that, although the risk is small, it is important you give it careful consideration and just check in with yourself every now and then if you do decide to go on it.

I'm excited to finish the course of treatment and FINALLY have clear skin, I already have so much more confidence and would advise anyone wanting to take isotretinoin to just really consider it but also not to worry about the vast amount of information thats on the web, just trust your doctor!

I don't regret it
Reviewed on August 9, 2017

This had cleared me up completely for a whole year and a half. Of course my hormones (I have PMDD which is severe PMS) has caused me to break out here and there. I took fish oil for the joint and back pain and it helped. I drank a ton of water and moisturized my lips like crazy. I also kept a fairly healthy diet because my dermatologist told me I needed to in order to keep my blood tests healthy. I recommend this to those who are willing to go through dryness, achy joints (take fish oil), fatigue, and bloody noses for at least 6 months. It was worth it and it gave me confidence, something I always wanted and yearned for. I'm a little concerned that my acne is coming back (again, I think it is because my hormonal imbalance is pretty bad right now) but I'd be willing to take Accutane all over again if I needed to.

by leikermarco1 on 08/16/2017 06:50
hey i had a question i been on it for 1 month and a week now but im still breaking out like crazy when did you're skin start to clear up and any tips?
by CelticBlossom on 08/27/2017 05:26
It is breaking you out because it is doing that "you get worse before you get better" thing. It is bring up all that acne that was going to come out anyways and making it come out faster. The accutane will make it go away faster though. If I remember correctly, I think I started to clear up around the third month.
by leikermarco1 on 08/29/2017 04:47
oh ok thanks for the respond it slowly getting better excited for month 3 to come then
Best Decision!!!!
Reviewed on July 26, 2017

I developed acne in the second year of high school which at first didn't bother me, after a year of suffering the impacts acne had on my life such as isolating myself and having low confidence and self-esteem, I was put on two different antibiotics which were supposed to improve my skin (Tetracycline and Doxycycline). After seeing no results of these treatments I was then referred to a dermatologist which took 4 months to get this appointment but it was completely worth it! To start with I was put on 40mg of Isotretinoin, after the first month my skin became worse and I didn't see much change. By the third month my skin had cleared up with only a few spots, my skin and lips were very dry but I used Diprobase and Vaseline to minimize this. I still had very few spots which is when the dermatologist upped my dosage to 60mg, my skin continued to get dry but I used methods to control this. After 8 months of isotretinoin, blood tests and hospital appointments I can say I am very happy with the outcome and how my skin looks now, the skin on my back chest and face is completely clear.

I finished this treatment 3 months ago now and it is still in good condition, I do get the occasional spots during my period but they are nothing compared to what they were like. This treatment has completely changed my life and I would recommend to anyone who is deeply affected by the look of their skin. It’s worth a chance and I was lucky enough to receive this treatment before any permanent scarring appeared.

Accutane cycle from July 10th 2016-February 2017. Clear
Reviewed on July 18, 2017

I went on Accutane for 5 months. I stopped a month before my expected time because my skin was completely clear. I had moderate acne my whole life, however at the of my sophomore year of college it began to get severe... which is when I decided Accutane was my last option. Long story short, your acne will most likely get worse before it gets better once you start your cycle. My skin didn't start to clear up fully until month 4. The biggest side effect I faced was dryness, not even so much my skin, but more so my lips. The sides of them would crack and bleed when I would smile or laugh... this was painful but aquaphor was a life saver. Now, my skin has been pretty clear ever since, I will occasionally get a random zit... THIS IS NORMAL. EVERYONE gets zits sometimes. Accutane does work, however it doesn't make your skin completely immune to dirt and grease after you finish! The one bit of advice I will give is DO NOT PICK. I picked so badly while I was on Accutane because I found my face absolutely disgusting and wanted more than anything for my skin to be clear. Doing this gave me horrible scarring. The hyperpigmentation lightens eventually... but not without expensive scrubs and exfoliators. My scars are just starting to disappear and I've been off Accutane for 5 months now. I can finally go out without makeup and still feel beautiful :)

DO IT!!! TRY IT!!!
Reviewed on July 17, 2017

Never thought I'd be the person to make and account to write a review but I want to help whoever I can. I was looking at photos of how bad my skin was and how sh*t I felt about how I looked 24/7. I wish I had started Accutane sooner. I feel like myself again and don't have to worry about putting makeup on 24/7. So just go to a specialist, tell them you've tried everything and tell them you feel ugly/not confident and get on it. Don't worry about side effects just try it, if you get them then dw it's worth the dry skin and whatever side effects you get. So please do it please. I want to help whoever I can. 4 of my friends have also been on it and worked perfectly for them. So that's 5 of us and the only side effects we all got were a bit of dry skin when the %of accutane was put up and dry lips which are easily healed with lots of moisturiser. So DO IT please TRY IT!!!!! Anyway hope it works. Message me with questions. Xx

by Solomon92 on 07/26/2017 16:00
What was your dose and how long were you in it ?
Accutain 60 mg (male)
Reviewed on July 14, 2017

Over 2k good results on here. Less then 500 ppl had some kind of issue. Overall would say give it go if it's really needed. I'm starting 60 mg tomorrow for 5-6 months. I'm a male 140lb 5"11. Never had severe acne but had mild persistent acne with occasional cyst face and back for over 13 years after spending thousands of dollars on products and facials and living a very healthy life style finally said enough and gonna give accutain a try. Will post my progress as time goes on. Will give it 3 stars for bec I'm really scared about touching this stuff. But will update rating at the end.

by Solomon92 on 07/17/2017 22:43
by Solomon92 on 07/17/2017 22:41 Update: decided to start slow the first week been taking 30 mg in the morning for the past 2 days. This morning woke up with mild chap lips but nothing to crazy. Face is still greasy as hell. Planing on upping my dose next week too 3× a week 60 mg. Will update next week on how things are going.
by Solomon92 on 07/26/2017 15:59
Week 2 mild chap lips and dry (peeling) skin on the t zone rest of face still oily