Accutane (isotretinoin) Reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)
3.9 2,143 reviews

Wish We Had Started Earlier

My son had struggled with cystic acne since junior high. He tried a variety of different OTC and Rx products with limited success. We had resisted using Accutane due to worries about side effects, especially those which might be permanent. He had had some gastro issues, so we needed clearance from a gastroenterologist. This doctor said she did not believe there was any connection between Accutane and gastro problems such as colitis or Crohn's disease. He is a long distance runner, so he was also worried about joint/bone issues. Finally, in the summer leading into his senior year of high school (2017) he started taking isotretinoin. Within a month he saw improvement. After five months he was essentially getting no new acne. Now he is at college and is essentially acne free. The side effects were quite minor--the typical dry lips and a couple of nose bleeds. We wish we had started with Accutane a couple of years earlier. The reviews on this site were very helpful in convincing us to proceed. I hope this helps others with their decision.

Comments

Amazing if you can put with side effects

After 5 years battling my persistent moderate acne , i finally decided to look into accutane and decided that i would be willing to take as the pros outweighed the cons in my opinion. After having my bloodtests in two weeks i had got hold of accutane. I done 60mg a day for 6 months. I was one of the lucky ones who did not suffer from any sort on bones or muscles pain. However i did suffer a very bad initial break out , worse than any of the other i had in my life, Luckily the first 3 months of accutane i was unemployed and that was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to stay home and focus on my skin only.( I understand why most people panic or quit accutane after that initial break out now).  throughout the 6 months i had extremely dry skin and lips drier than the Sahara and could not go 5 minutes wihout lip balm (Carmex). my face only started to improve around month 5 and i only got completely clear on the final week of my course , so if you still breaking out at month 4-5 do not panic and keep taking your pills positively. It has been a month now since i finished my course and thank God i am still clear and my face complexion keeps improving, Make sure to keep the same regime you was using as you did on accutane they will help you in the long run. PS DO NOT PICK YOU SPOTS WHILE ON ACCUTANE SINCE THE SKIN IS REALLY THIN , IT WILL LEAVE DEEP SCARS THAT WONT HEAL. Besides all that i can say that Roaccutane it was tough but it really helped me amazingly overall and i regret waiting 5 years to take it as i feel that i wasted few years of my social life to acne unfortunately..

Comments

The only thing that has worked

As a long-time reader of lots of these forums, I never felt the need to post anything as I only read. I read hundreds of these posts looking for answers for my acne. However, now having completed roughly 100 days of a 150-day course of Accutane (60 mg/day) I felt the need to make the case for Accutane and provide a personal take on it. Over the past few years, I've suffered from closed-comedonal acne. They always appear as closed comedones and, when they're ready, they come up as these big whiteheads that pop or dry up and leave a spot. There's been some scarring but not too much. I've tried everything in the past (BP, Salicylic acid, Tretinoin, clindamycin, Dapsone, antibiotics, non-dairy, etc!) so eventually my Dermatologist recommended Accutane as a sort of last resort. He reminded me that Accutane isn't necessarily indicated for closed comedonal acne and that it was sort of hit or miss as to whether or not Accutane would work for me. So, seeing as though I had ran out of most options, I started it roughly 3 months ago and here's a brief rundown of how it's gone: Nothing too bad/abnormal until week 3 when all the blackheads fell out of my nose in a matter of 3-5 days (crazy weird). It was at this time that my skin became more irritated/dry and my lips began to crack (also, for the cracking lips: BUY DR. DAN'S Cortibalm, once I used that my lips never bothered me again). It was about week 6-8 where my skin started to purge. All the closed comedones came out as they had before, in big whiteheads. It was, for lack of a better term, a shitty process.You just have to remember that this is a good sin and that the medication is purgin the acne from your face. The side effects I've felt have been some random skin rashes that go away naturally and the skin being more irritated/red as is common. A couple, perhaps more serious side effects that have occurred have been the fatigue and a downturn in my mood/mental state. The fatigue is real, sleeping feels amazing but it makes it very difficult to get out of bed. This can be a challange especially for me who is in Physician Assistant school and need to study a lot. The mental problems may or may not be related to Accutane as studies have disputed this side effect of the medication, but personally, it does feel as though I'm a little down so we'll have to see how my mood changes/improves once I'm off. Nevertheless, as of now, I have zero acne and, believe me, I check daily. As some may know, closed comedonal acne is sometimes better felt than seen but even washing my face and putting on SPF moisturizer I feel nothing but clear and smooth skin. It's almost surreal to feel clear skin as I haven't felt that in years. I still have a little under two months to go and will keep you updated but this is a real testament to Accutane and I encourage those to ask their doctors about the possibility to go on this medication when you're not seeing progress with other treatments/medications. It will take you for a ride, and I'm not saying it's a magic bullet as there are downsides to this process. However, if you can ride it out and push forward for 5-6 months I do believe it will be worth it. Take it from me who read numerous posts on this website and worried that the effects wouldn't be the case for me, Accutane can help you.

Comments

Acne for 13 years "what worked and what didn't"

I suffered acne for 13 years until I found my cure. I tried everything from chemist, beautician and health food store products, medications such as tetracycline, the oral contraception pill, duac gel, and Accutane. The only thing that worked was the Accutane however not for the long term. I did Accutane for 3 courses, the first course was 4 months on 20mg and it literally changed my skin overnight I was so incredibly happy my skin was so clear, and I was the happiest I had ever been because I got some of my confidence back. However around the 6-7month after stopping Accutane my acne came back, so i went back to the dermatologist and got put on a 7-month course of 20mg, the same story it worked up until 6-7 months after coming off the Accutane. The same thing happened when I went back to the dermatologist and got put back on Accutane for the final time a 9-month course, but it came back 7-8 months later. I was so unbelievably distraught because I had tried everything and I thought there was no option left for me. At this stage, I was studying a Bachelor of Health Science in Nutrition and Naturopathy and decided to dig around and start doing research into acne and asking every lecturer that would put up with all my questioning about acne. One day I finally asked one of my lecturers and she asked about my diet, which was dairy free, only white meat very occasionally and no refined sugars. She asked about raw salads? which I wasn't having many of. So anyway I went home had a massive raw vegetable salad and was pleasantly surprised the next morning but thought it had to be a coincidence. So I kept having these massive raw salads every day as well as not eating any refined grains and a few other dietary related things like having a low glycemic index diet and drinking lots of water etc and i got my clear skin finally. So at this stage of my life, I have had clear skin for 18 months and counting and my confidence is finally back. Through my entire acne journey, I have become very passionate about researching acne and have dedicated my academic career in specialising in acne from a nutritional perspective. I now have a practice in Adelaide called the Adelaide Acne Clinic. On my website, you can find heaps of information on all aspects of acne. www.adelaideacneclinic.com.au My mission is to help everyone get rid of their acne once and for all.

My miracle

I never suffered with acne as a teen, I guess I was lucky. My skin wasn’t perfect, but it was blemish free. When I hit 20, everything went downhill. My hormones went crazy. Suddenly, it was as if my face was as out of control and there way nothing I could do to maintain it. I tried various products, microdermabrasion, light therapy, Tetracycline and a number of intense and EXPENSIVE chemical peels. For about 3 months, the tetracycline worked, then my acne came back with a vengeance. It was the worse I had ever seen it and suddenly I couldn’t look at myself. I couldn’t look at other people, I became anxious, shy, sad - I felt ugly. I began facial peels. I must of had at least 10-12 checmial peels( which did help). Slowly my acne began to improve, but it was still there, only not as aggressive and at a cost of £90+ a peel I couldn’t continue using them. I learnt about accutane from the sk:n clinic where I was having my chemical peels; by which point my acne was graded as modular pustular acne - not nice, I know. Anyways, I continued having chemical peels for about 5 months,having at least 2 a month, before I demanded to be referred through my doctors to a dermatologist (only registered dermatologists can proscribe accutane in the uk and i just could not afford to fund it privately) I was rejected at first. I went back ofcourse, kicked up a fuss and told them how depressed I was. I finally got to see a dermatologist and straight away was given accutane. My first appointment, they preached about not getting pregnant, checked I wasn’t already, checked my weight and just wrote me a prescription. I though it would be more difficult, but once I got to that stage it was fairly easy. I was told that I would need monthly appointments, needed to go on at least two forms of contraception (although I didn’t because I can’t have synthetic hormones for medical reasons), would need to keep an eye on my mental health and come back every four weeks for an up-dated prescription. I started on 20mg a day for 4 weeks- no problems, no difference. I increased to 30mg for 4 weeks then 40mg. I started to notice I was no longer breaking out, like at all. I had no side effects at first. My dose increased to 50mg a day. The skin on the back of my hands began to dry, like scales. My lips split, like they reallllyyy split. My eyes became so dry and gooey and I was going through at least one bottle of eye drops a week. They’re not exaggerating when they tell you to moisturise ( personal preference, cetaphill - it’s a life saver and can be used on your face and body) I started to get backache, really badly. I became nauseas. All my blood test came back fine and within 6 months I was off accutane and spot-free. I’m the happiest I’ve been with my skin in over 24 months. The only side effect I’m still suffering with currently is backache but I’ve only been off accutane for 6 weeks. Despite the side effects , I would go back on it tomorrow. Roaccutane changed my life, for the better. It’s a life saver and I don’t regret going on it.

Wish I tried earlier

After being scared off of Accutane for years due to horror stories online, it was only when I was 27 -after over 10 years dealing with reoccurant breakouts of acne- and reached my lowest emotional point dealing with the depression that it caused me (I really got to a point where I did not want to live anymore) that I gave in and thought i might as well try the drug. I had a very bad flare up, I used to have bad back acne (painful cysts) and moderate forehead bumps (blocked pores) and painful reoccurant cysts on my cheeks and chin (hormonal acne) which had begun to scar badly. I didn't want to wait on the NHS for a dermatology appointment as i was at such a desperate point psychologically so I went private for the first month to get a prescription and then transferred to the NHS to finish the course, I was on half the "normal dose" for a longer period which meant 30mg for a year rather than 60mg for 6 months, I did this as all of the studies i had researched showed that this had the same effect with less side effects while on the medication. I don't really know how else to describe it as anything other than a miracle for me, within 2 weeks my acne had all completely disappeared and the few scars I was left with then faded a few months later. Over the course of the year I had beautiful skin and hair that never needed to be washed, the only slight inconvenience was that I had dry lips but with regular lip balm my lips never cracked or got too dry, I just had to make sure I applied lip balm every couple of hours (more if I was busy at work or working out sweating a lot etc). I came off the Accutane almost 2 years ago now, and my acne has not returned, I occasionally get a tiny pimple that disappears in a day if I leave it, my hair oil returned a bit but I still don't have to wash my hair every day, my lips are mildy dry but nothing a couple of applications of lip balm per day can't solve. My skin is beautiful still, smaller pores and not the oil slick it used to be minutes after washing every day. I used to be so anti drugs and I honestly tried every natural remedy for years first and then topical bp (only really helped if i caught every spot 'in time') then antibiotics. I really wish I had not wasted so much of my 20s being so depressed about my skin, cancelling social events, spending hours online planning what my next cure would be. For me Accutane has dramatically changed my life, to the point that I went from being quite lost in my life to excelling in my career within months of starting, getting into the kind of relationship i deserved and 3 years later have just had a beautiful baby (with no break outs during the hormonal rollercoaster of pregnancy and post pregnancy). I'm not saying this drug will cure all of your problems but if like me your acne affects you psychologically to the point it is causing your life to always be "on hold" or cancelled at late notice. It is worth giving it a go, because I had a low dose for a year I had such little side effects with so much reward! Some people may have a bad time on the drug but I also believe that this has a lot to do with the high doses most people are on.

Comments

Holy grail if u can deal with the side effects

I started getting acne when i was 18, having never suffered from bad skin at all in my early teens. I tried everything, from changing my diet, drinking a shit tonne of water, different teas, antibiotics, topicals, different birth control etc. I was told that my acne was hormonal and probably caused by progestin from my bc pill. I’m going into my 4th month of accutane and omg my skin is clear and glowing, it’s the first time in years I’ve felt confident enough to go out without makeup and I’m getting compliments as well! I will say I’ve had some side effects, sore heads for the first month or so, extremely sensitive and dry lips, dry skin everywhere, dry eyes, i get scratches and bleed easier and terrible joint pain if i exert myself in the slightest. My face also flares up and goes bright red out of the blue. But in my opinion, it’s all manageable, just very inconvenient. I just hope that my skin stays clear when i come off the medication as I’ve heard that hormonal acne has a tendency to come back when u stop ur regular doses.

Comments

Accutane should be 1st option for intermediate to severe acne.

I had severe acne for 20 years and tried everything until I tried Accutane. It basically cured my acne. I didnt really have much side effects except increased weight and elevated lipid level. Acne gave me so much problem in life that I rather be fat like Homer Simpson with clear skin. If you take low dosage (20mg to 40mg), I really doubt you are going to have severe side effects. Anyways, if you have moderate to severe acne, I think you should just try it. You got nothing to lose. It's a total waste of time to try those topical or oral antibiotics or some diet regiment. Take my word for it.

my experience so far

So im 16 and i struggled all through the last year of primary school and all throughout high school with severe acne. Some times were better, others not. My 'good' days were when my spots weren't red and inflamed they never seemed to go but when one did another 2 would replace that. i tried changing my daily routine, from what i was eating to exercising, home made 'remedies' all i can say for that is dont believe everything you read on the internet. It eventually got to the point where all the doctors and nurses at my doctors knew me, thats how regularly id been going to either get a new prescription or because the stuff i had wasn't working for me. This went on for about a year until my doctor finally told me about a dermatologist and booked me an appointment. i went had the blood test and weighing procedures, if im honest i was terrified about going on this, all the side effects potentially life threatening ones nearly stopped me from going on accutane. I went back saying i didnt want to risk it but my dermo insisted i should as they don't open this up to many people and turn away most that are asking for it. so i gave in, the first month i was on 20mg because i was a baby and panicked about what it could do internally, i saw slight changes, just slightly dry lips. 2nd month i was upped onto 30mg my skin got much better but as my dosage upped i broke out,making me think this was all useless, side effect: slightly drier lips, bit of cracking in the corners, dandruff (but i seemed to have sorted that) im on my third month now, 40mg one day, 30mg the other, my skin has cleared up so well im left with maybe 2-3 but spots, these are really unnoticeable and i feel so much more confident going out, i have some red scars left but nothing concealer doesn't cover up. im looking to eventually get rid of my scars completely but im in no rush. overall my experience has been so good so far, the only side effects ive had is dry lips and i went a couple of weeks not eating properly so lost alot of weight but thats all sorted now and im eating well again. One positive is i can go for 3-5 days without having to wash my hair now!

Comments

Finally something that helped!!

I promised myself that if I find the product that would help my acne I would share my experience cause I know how painfully depressing is to have acne and not knowing what will actually help you or just make it worse. So here is my story I had acne since I was like 12. They were on my face, chest, arms, legs, practically everywhere. Before taking accutane I tried all kinds of cosmetic products and nothing worked as a matter of fact it usually got a lot worse or my skin got completly dried out but acne always came back.I also tried changing my diet and started homeopathic treatments but that didn't help either. My family has a really healthy lifestyle so I was avoiding any medications and was looking for other options. I went to like 5 different dermatologist and most of them suggested tetracycline antibiotics but as I was against antibiotic at that time they said chemical peeling could also help. Well they didnt, I just throw a bunch of money out of the window. Then I started to use some antibiotic cremes that made my skin red and my acne worse. I hated myself because of my skin, it affected every aspect of my life and I was miserable and depressed beacuse of it. After crying all days, not wanting to show myself in public and having no will to live I had enough and at the age of 19 I decided to go on medication after all. Dermatologist suggested accutane or tetracycline. Cause I read a lot of bad comments on tetracycline- how more than 70% of people got their acne back after taking it and cause I heard a lot of good ones about accutane and also knew some people accutane helped I decided for accutane - rouaccutane.I know there are a lot of terrible side effects but my hatred for acne outweighted all of them. Cause I am really really impatient I was expecting results to come right away but at the beginning it actually got worse. It didn't improve even after 3 months when you supposed to see improvements. I was devestated as accutane was my last solution in acne war. Dermatologist comforted me and said that when does it comes to improvement varies from pacient to pacient. I was impatiently waiting and at the end of the month five my acne actually started to got better! I still got occasional pimple or two but that was nothing to compare as it was before. I was so happy and could actually start wearing open back shirts and look people in the eyes when I talked to them cause my skin finally wasn't an obstacle anymore. Right now I'm on month 7 with last box of accutane and my skin is acne free with occasional small pimples before period still faaar from skin I once had. I was on 10mg at the begining than on 20 mg from second month till month 6 when I got back to 10mg. Regarding the side effects I only had a dry skin and lips nothing else! It is really importent that they don't scare you and that you don't focuse on them because I think they got a lot to do with your mind. My whole treatment I was just thinking about when it will get better never of side effects and maybe that's why I didn't get any (apart from dry skin and lips which really isn't a big deal). :) I hope I didn't write too much and that my experience helped you in any way! I really suggest accutane especially to people who have been suffering from acne a long time and no other treatment worked out for them. I know how horrible is to have acne so just have faith and try to think positive(even though it's hard at times) and believe me it will get better!

Comments

would recommend but not for the faint at heart

Accutane did everything I thought I would. At first it seemed to make my acne worse. for month 2-4 I was taking 80mg of isotretinoin and still getting huge breakouts- worse than before i started. However once month 5 came along, suddenly all the breakouts stopped. I did 6 months of Accutane and now 2 months later i have yet to get a single zit since month 5. 3 month of no zits? I'm crying tears of joy; It made the side effects worth it. I haven't had skin this clear since before puberty. The worst side effects for me were horrible cracking/peeling lips and constant bloody/scabbing nose. I literally could not leave my house without a tube of vasaline. I had situations where I would have to leave work or school to go back to my house to get my Vasaline bc my lips were bleeding so bad from being dry. I also experienced rashes on my hands and arms, a messed up menstrual cycle, constipation, dry scalp (which was actually nice because i have oily hair), and sore joints. The pregnancy tests and blood draws were terribly annoying but understandable considering the birth defect risk. overall- worth it (as long as I never have to do it again). However, prepare yourself for the side effects.

Not worth it

The choice I made to start taking Accutane was not one of my best. I used to have very severe acne, to the point where I was the second most acne riddled person in middle school. but since then, while I still have it and get breakouts from time to time, I haven't considered it a problem since. However, when I heard that Accutane was pretty much the cure for acne, I decided it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Ohh but it did. I knew it had risks when I started, but those risks and side effects are very rare. I figured what were the chances they would happen to me? I was only on it for a little over a month, and the problems only became apparent to me when I stopped. It caused severe anxiety, a massive change in personality, and I felt like I was losing touch with who I am. When I made the choice to stop, some of the more serious problems showed up for a little bit. I started hearing things that weren't real, I lost my appetite, and I became one of the most irritable people you could ever meet. After talking to my doctor about these symptoms I was experiencing, I was told that it was causing a condition called psychosis. If I had continued to take these pills, I would have had to live with that for the rest of my life. Taking Accutane is like a Russian roulette and I got the bullet. Now that I've been able to clear my head, I noticed the memories I made while taking Accutane just don't feel real to me anymore. It was like I was watching a movie; I remember, but I know it wasn't real. While my head was under this spell, I managed to make some of the worst mistakes in my life. My friends had stopped wanting to be around me because they didn't like how I was acting. There was a girl who I really liked who stopped wanting to be around me because I started acting weird and creepy. I put a couple people in prison because I was in a bad mood. I was so filled with emotion, I cried more on Accutane than I had since I was six years old. I probably scared the shit out of this girl too, because she wants me to stay out of her life now. I had so much anxiety about it and I kept on bothering her about how she doesn't want to hang out anymore. Nothing felt worse than to have someone who once enjoyed your company start avoiding you at all costs. Once I realized how much I've been scaring her, my anxiety got worse and I had the first anxiety attack that I've ever had in my life. I felt like the worst person in the world and thought they should lock me up. After stopping the pills, I had to go to therapy for the first time ever, and I was put on a new medication to fix the problems that the old one caused. The thing is, for most people Accutane really works! But after experiencing the worst of the side effects first hand, I just can't recommend it. I don't wish to have my experience shared by even the worst of my enemies. It was the strangest point in my life and I regret the decision to take it more than any choice I've ever made. Even with my head cleared, I'm still going to have to deal with the consequences of my actions while I was on it. My college room mate switched on me, and now I'm going to have this girl hating me forever. I'm just glad I stopped taking it in time. I got a taste of what living with psychosis can be like and I swear if I had to live like that forever then I would have ended myself.

Comments

Extremely effective but be aware of the side effects.

Ive been battling severe acne since 2013. I’m now 19 years old and have been on accurane since January 2017. I wish I could post my before and after. Its amazing. I had cystic acne that destroyed the texture of my skin. I ALWAYS had at least a couple big painful cysts on my face surrounded by various smaller bumps. I was on Tetracycline which failed to make any difference whatsoever. I took the leap to Accutane and my acne was completely cleared in a matter of 3-4 months on it. After time, my acne scars have significantly faded as well and my skins texture is smooth and my skin is actually glowing! This however is an extremely powerful drug that effects more than just the skin. Some minor side effects ive personally noticed is increased hair loss, dry skin for the first few weeks and extremely dry, unrepairable lips. I cannot repair my lips no matter what i try or how much i spend. I assume as long as im taking accutane this problem will be persistent. The major side effects occur mentally. I would honestly probably look for another method of clearing acne if you have any prior mental health issues. I never considered myself depressed before accutane. Probably about 3-4 months in I was diagnosed with depression and put on anto depressants. They failed to work and at about the 6 month mark on accutane i grew extremely suicidal. This past christmas I attempted suicide. And i still live with perpetual suicidal thoughts. Since May 2018, ive been having panic attacks. This has brought on a whole new list of side effects such as having no energy, inability to sleep and at times extreme, overwhelming thoughts of suicide. I find myself uncontrollably crying every single day. This is not necessarily the cure for self-esteem issues caused by acne. Please consider ALL the possible side effects before starting this drug. Because you will most likely be on it for years and the cons can start to definitely outweigh the pros. I have decided against discontining my use of accutane simply because i think if I stopped my acne would come back further damaging my self esteem. I really don’t understand why this is prescribed so easily to teens. Teenage acne is normal. Accutane should only be prescribed as a last resort. While It 100% has worked for my teenage acne, the side effects will be taken through my adult years.

Comments

Don’t take it unless you absolutely have to

Taking this medication was a horrible mistake. I took it for a year, and a year after being done with medication, I still experience awful side effects. Joint pain, tingling in body, dry mouth and DRY EYES. These are only some side effects I’m still experiencing after taking it. On top of all, my acne came back. This medication is NOT worth all the pain you will endure during and after taking it. If I could go back in time I’d never take Accutane.

Comments

It worked for a while my acne was back!

I was on accutane when I graduated high school (2015). I had bad hormonal acne, back acne and chest acne. I decided to go see a dermatologist because I decided I try with one since all my life I've treated my acne with home remedies, over the counter products and creams(it helped temporarily). I walked into the dermatologist explaining my situation I remember telling her "I'm tired of not having clear skin like my friends" I got to a point where seeing my skin full of acne/white heads was normal and I never really knew how bad it was until I tried ACCUTANE. Long story short the dermatologist looked at my face my back and my chest and right away told me about accutane she explained to me allllll the dryness it caused and side effects. I was put on birth control while i was on it. After the 2 month I saw AMAZING improvements my pores were smaller my skin was glowing!!! I had so much confidence in myself like never before! After finishing my 6 months on a 40mg... (20mg was my starting point) I was so happy i was going to be off of it!! 4 months passed and my acne came back only on my right side (that was always my acne problem) for some dumb ass reason I tried birth control again and it was such a horrible mistake!!! I now have acne all over my chin and jaw my cheeks as well it wont go away... I would hate to go back to accutane :(

Isotretinoin (Accutane) Experience

Honest Review of Isotretinoin: I suffered with cystic acne throughout middle school / high school, during which I had been taking many different types of antibiotics and topical creams. I found that the antibiotics (or Tetracyclines) never seemed to defeat my stubborn / persistent acne, so my dermatologist finally gave me permission to take Accutane. I started taking Accutane in my junior year of high school, initially starting at 40mg and slowly moving up to 60mg. I went through 2 weeks of initial breakouts, but the improvements became noticeable within the first 2 months. In fact it completely cleared up my cystic acne and black heads around 3 months! I stayed on the medication for 6 months until my skin was 100% clear, and at that point I felt like I defeated the long battle with my acne. However fast forward to my first year of university, my acne unfortunately came back :( I knew instantly that my skin was acting abnormal, so within a couple months of struggling with acne cream and store bought acne treatments, I decided to go back on Accutane. ROUND TWO. During the second treatment I didn't notice the same improvements - my skin did not respond the same way it did to my first round. All it did was dry me out and lessen the severity of my breakouts by a small amount. I stayed on the medication for 4 months and never ended the treatment with clear skin. I am currently 19 years old and my skin is a lot different than it was when I was first prescribed Accutane. My biggest struggle today is small bumpy white heads along my jaw / lower cheek and chin. I'm currently beginning my journey with spironolactone in hopes that I'll never have to take a oral drug for acne again. SUMMARY: - Accutane works great for cystic acne (completely got rid of mine, but now I struggle with a different type of acne). - Accutane is NOT 100% effective. - Accutane is not guaranteed to provide lasting results (mine only lasted 1 year). - Accutane is a short term solution to manage an internal / hormonal issue (digestive, air quality, sex hormones, allergies). Go see a doctor to understand the root cause of your acne!!! Side Effects: dryness (mainly lips and nose) Treatment Length: 1st round: 6 months. 2nd round: 4 months. Initial Breakout: yes. Products Used While On Accutane: - Cetaphil moisturizer - Cetaphil cleanser - Dr Jart+ cicapair cream - Vaseline (lips)' - All natural cold pressed oils (jojoba, sea buckthorn, avocado oil) - used in alternation and in moderation. - AHA skin exfoliator

Accutane

My experience with accutane was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm 17y.o. and suffered from acne since I was 10. At forst it was mild but then it started getting worse. My problem area was mostly around the mouth and every month when i was in ovulation i got lots of cysts on the chin. I've tried everything and when i lost hope my dermatologist decided to put me on accutane. I took the pill in February March April May and June(30/30/30/20/10mg).This was honestly the best decision i have ever done because besides the side effects i saw my skin getting better with each dose and guys there is nothing better then gaining more and more confidence each day and recieving compliments on an area which was the thing you tried to make perfect 7 years out of 17. The feeling is just magical! I hope that it wont come back so wish me luck. If you are struggling with acne try it, it makes wonders and the side effects are even not that bad. Hope I helped!

I am going on accutane (dont know starting dosage yet) but I am not worried about the dryness but I am extremely worried about the mental side effects!

My tips for girls on Accutane!

During Accutane- Dry Lips: one of the worst symptoms. Not a day goes by without dry lips, therefore not a day goes by without exfoliating your lips (I used various gentle and natural lip scrubs) and right after that I would apply aquaphor. I’d buy big bottles! Nothing tops this stuff. I would apply it all day long & for sure before bed. Dry face- this can be painful. But it only means it is doing what it should be! To help this, I would apply a little bit of moisturizer after washing my face in the a.m.& would repeat before bed. Make sure your moisturizer is good tho. You might have to spend some money on it but clearly if your skin needs accutane, it doesn’t need any yucky oils to take you back to where you started. I used the normal/oily dermologica skin set. It inludes toner, exfoliator, face wash, moisturizer, and even eye cream. I used it all! It made my skin glowwwww. It was pricey stuff! But worth it. Otherwise my face was dry, red, scaly,etc. SIDENOTE ON MAKEUP: ladies....accutane = no makeup.... it’s harddd to snatch your face with makeup while on accutane. I even used nice products on my face to hydrate & when I would apply makeup the texture would just not be right....if I knew that there was a day I HAD to wear makeup, I would prep first. Heavy hydration masks. Heavy moisturization. And shhh. I would even skip a few pills a couple days before. And even then, my face just wasn’t that amazing texture. But it gets better for you makeup lovers I promise! A month after accutane makeup looks sooo stunning! The medication is no longer intensely affecting your outer skin.P.S this is about foundation etc like glam......mascaras and some blush/highlighter/ a little bronzer can look just fine while on Accutane! Dry arms: this was a huge thing for me. I would get these dry red scab like things on my arms. this is really only in the winter though. When they healed, they would scar and I had like tons of white spots (scars) on my arms. Ew. To prevent this my doctor prescribed me a cream...I believe some type of cortizone.....but yeah I would definitely hydrate those arms if you are taking it during the winter. Inside of nose dryness: I started to get dried boogers and scabs in my nose that hurt sooo bad. Definitely search for a product that can hydrate your inner noses they exist. Hair:(- a sad side effect for me:(:( lots of hair loss. I noticed this the first round of accutane. And before I could see if it would grow back I was being put on round #2 because my acne is just that bad and genetic. So this second round I am using absolutely NO heat, NO color, and NO hot water in the shower. NO harsh pony tails only scrunchies! NO messy buns, your hair will break! Sleep in braids and wear braids often! Wear hair down natural as much as possible ladies.do not wash your hair a lot. Use a gentle brush! And a wet brand brush to brush after showers. Use leave in conditioner & conditioning treatments! Trim dead ends if necessary! Trust me on this. Use a very very VERY moisturizing, protein rich, healthy shampoo and conditioner. After accutane: always use sunscreen! The sun will bring acne back! Always cleanse your face and use great facial products on your face! Take vitamins!

Comments

Takes time but oh so worth it!!

I've never written a review on anything before but during my Accutane journey, reading the positive reviews were one of the major reasons I kept pushing through. I thought I better add to this collection in hopes it helps someone someday too! Background: I am a 24 year old female with a greasy complexion. I have battled acne since I have been about 15 years old. I have tried it all: birth control, antibiotics, every cream, lotion, and wash imaginable for little to no effect. I began to get progressively worse hormonal acne (I noticed I would heavily breakout around that time of the month). Just when I was getting these multiple breakouts under control, it would be that time again and the vicious cycle would repeat. I have always been a confident woman, and while this acne didn't utterly destroy me, I understood the hurt of looking into the mirror and seeing an inflamed, sore, bumpy face staring back at me. I knew it was time to bring in the big guns. First Steps: I knew quite a bit about Accutane already, as I'm sure anyone who is a chronic acne sufferer has endlessly searched Google for remedies and has come across this controversial drug as well. I am also a nurse so I have heard and seen this drug in my workplace. I knew I had to suggest it to my doctor. DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE! Read the ins and outs of the drug, read positive and negative reviews, read about timelines, side effects, precautions, dosing, etc and just get educated! Try to form an opinion about Accutane for yourself without being too bias one way or the other. When you go see your doctor with confidence of starting the drug, they will be more willing to make a plan with you. My family doctor (who does not specialize in dermatology but has the capabilities of prescribing Accutane) was extremely receptive in prescribing me it after I talked to her about it and proved I was educated on the matter. She sent me for baseline bloodwork and a pregnancy test, and then I booked a follow-up appointment with her for the following week. Dosing: After reading multiple peer-reviewed articles and journals, I discovered the cumulative goal dose of Accutane to prevent relapse is 120-150 mg/kg. I am approximately 75 kg, therefore I required 9000-11250 mg total Accutane over my treatment course. The recommended daily dose is 0.5-1.0 mg/kg. Typically you start low, then increase dosage monthly as your body becomes more tolerant. My 6 month Accutane dosing was as follows: Month 1 - 30 mg/day (900 mg total) Month 2 - 40 mg/day (1200 mg total) Month 3 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 4 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 5 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) Month 6 - 60 mg/day (1800 mg total) For a cumulative dose of 9300 mg total. Journey: After 1 month, there was absolutely NO change to my acne. The only noticeable changes were the dry lips. This wasn't a surprise to me, so onward we go! Month 2, still hardly no change. Just more of the negative side effects - dryer lips, eyes, and skin. Keep going, keep going. Month 3 and 4 were the toughest months in this journey by far, and from reading tons of other reviews, it sounds like this is the common trend. Anyone who knows anything about Accutane has read about "the purge". Basically, the drug is healing your skin from the inside out so all the breakouts that begin to happen during this time were already going to happen eventually anyway, but the Accutane makes them all happen and heal at the same time. This was a tough time for me. I felt others were noticing my nasty breakouts more than even before I had started the drug. Not to mention, my skin was so dry that attempting to cover up with makeup almost made it look more awful. One of the only things that made me continuing taking my pills was reading review after review to KEEP GOING BECAUSE IT WILL GET BETTER! I thought over and over that I must be in that small group of people that Accutane doesn't work for. But I kept going and am I ever happy I did! By the end of month 4 I started noticing big changes (and GOOD changes!) My face was clearing and the remaining pimples seemed quite superficial, no more deep cysts! Month 5 and 6 were amazing! Day by day, my face was clearer! Washing your face and not feeling any bumps is one of the best feelings in the entire world for an acne sufferer. Not to mention, as the acne healed, the dryness let up a bit. I have finally wrapped up my journey just a couple weeks ago and I am fully comfortable heading out makeup free. I am happy, confident, and so proud of myself that I pushed through. Side Effects: The only side effects I had were dryness/flakiness/redness. My face, lips, eyes, and back of hands got hit the hardest. I changed my face wash to Cetaphil and moisturizer to CeraVe. I used Aquaphor on my lips and hands. And I used Systane eye drops. If you have taken anything from this review, it's to push through your Accutane journey. You're going to want to give up, you're going to think it's not going to work, you're likely going to get worse acne temporarily before it gets better. KEEP GOING!!!! I did and am so grateful for reviews such as these for telling me to do so.

I have a question, how you said about "the purge". What you noticed/were told was that the skin was breaking out (worse) due to the skin healing from the inside out so that was 1, speeding up the acne process and 2, the healing process again from inside out? I am going on accutane and am just preparing myself, thanks in advance!

We'll see how this goes

I haven't been on Claravis long but I'm on 40mg. I'm 27 and I have had mild-moderate acne on only my face for my entire adult life, it's very much hormonal and my face/hair has always been oily. Multiple doctors tried to sell me on accutane and I refused for years, I finally gave up. I have tried everything you can think of, I'm currently on spironolactone, hormonal birth control pills, and use aczone. . . I was using all 3 prior to accutane and my skin looks the best it has in years. I also moved from Florida to the PNW and this helped my skin because I spend less time in the sun, sweaty and hot. I mostly am just tired of having elaborate facial routines and ruining my clothes/towels/sheets with acne products/bleaching. My doctor reduced my dose of spironolactone while on accutane. I gave up drinking altogether but I have never been much of a drinker, I also have a medical background and value my liver too much to mix medications and alcohol. I did a TON of research prior to starting accutane and ordered: chapstick, lotion, aquaphor, eye drops, hydrating shampoo, thicker moisturizer, new sunscreen. . . and came prepared for battle with dry skin. I also take my accutane with fish oil pills and some version of fatty food. I have always drank lots of water, exercise every day, eat pretty good and wear sunscreen every day (I'm incredibly fair skinned). 5 days in and thus far, my only side effect has been dry lips (I managed them with aquaphor and chapstick with sunscreen),and a pressure headache which improved with Tylenol. Here is to hoping this jazz works, I hate messing with my hormones, I just want my face to not have new spots, old spots, and scars. . . all those chemical peels and microneedling only work for removing scars if you can prevent new break outs.

My opinion of Accutane after one month on 40mg

I was recommended Accutane for my skin years ago as a teenager after suffering moderate acne throughout high school that became cystic by the time I was about 17. Now (at 23) I have it mostly on my jawline and forehead but I get flareups on my back and upper arms randomly, possibly due to stress. I put it off for years because of some of the horrific side effects, and I didn't want cracked bloody lips or flakey skin when I was going to school or while I had a job, Im a very self conscious person and hiding dryness with makeup is impossible. But after my father passed away the stress it put me through started up the worst flare up of my life and I needed to do something about it. I was in a deep horrible depression and I was graduated from college and in between jobs so I decided to finally start treatment. By the time I jumped through all the hoops to get the medication my skin was a little bit healed from a bad breakout, so I think that helped avoid the "initial breakout" a lot of people complain about. I had about the same amount of zits that I would usually have for the first two weeks. It wasn't until I started experiencing the drugs side effects that I noticed my skin clear up at the 2-3 week mark. My eyes got dry, the inside of my nose got dry and bloody, and my lips got dry too but not nearly as bad as I expected. I just needed to upgrade my chapstick from Burt's Bees to Aquaphor at the three week mark and they healed up. My skin got smoother and smoother, and aside from some flakiness around my nose it wasn't too dry at all (I thank my Nivea soft moisturizer with jojoba and vitamin E, it saved me from eczema as well). Another side effect that I LOVE is that my hair isn't greasy anymore and I can go days without washing it. It's actually growing now because I used to wash and dry and heat treat it so much it would just break off and stay the same length. I'm so happy. I wear foundation and I don't have to blot the oil off my skin every hour as well, it looks fresh and matte all day. I know some people experience a lot worse side effects, and Im lucky its working so well for me, but even If I was a flaky bloody mess for four months It would still be worth it for the clear skin. I'm feeling more confident than i've ever felt and my anxiety and depression has been slowly improving. I went camping at a two day rave and didn't have to stress about makeup or how my skin would be and it felt SO GOOD. I felt free and alive. Im excited for the months to come because my skin continues to improve and my hair is growing longer and I don't have to put as much effort into my morning routine which helps me get up and leave the house more often. Five stars, I would give it 100 stars if I could.

My Isotretinoin journey

Hi, I wanted to leave a review after finishing isotretinoin over a 8 month period. I read so many reviews that helped so want to do my bit... So...a bit about me: I'm a 28 year old female who had suffered from mild acne since my teens. My acne really wasn't that bad, hence most people wouldn't have defined it as acne. More or less, I had 2-3 active pimples at any given time, which meant I thought it could be easily treated with over the counter treatments. These never worked. My frustration grew. When I was 27 I went to a doctor in London (where I had moved one year prior from Australia). I explained to the doc that I still broke out and given my age, it was becoming a problem because it should have cleared up. I had been on various birth control pills, had an ultrasound for polycystic ovaries, but none of that had worked. I was referred to a dermatologist on the NHS. When I met with the derm she suggested accutane. I was very hesitant because I'd heard so many bad things about the side effects. I have had depression and wasn't keen to start medication that might affect my mood. She explained that if I went on anti-biotics, the chances were that the acne would return once I got off, so accutane was my best bet and I could start on a very low dose to reduce symptoms of side effects. After doing a lot of research I decided to give it a shot. I am 6ft tall and weighed 8-kg, so I was going to need more than your average girl. I still only started on 20mg per day. After 2 weeks or so I started getting dry lips, but they weren't too bad. I continued on the 20mg for a couple of months (no real improvement in my skin, and in fact it was getting worse). I upped to 40mg, but still no improvement and again...it was getting worse. I was obviously very upset, but the derm said I should still persevere and we upped it to 60mg, coupled with some steroids to combat the inflammation. It was at that point where I saw massive improvements. I stopped breaking out and was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I stayed on 60mg for a few months before going up to 80mg as I wanted the course to finish as soon as possible. My lips were dry, but I didn't get the skin peeling or other major side effects. What I did notice though was that my hair became very VERY dry. I have long hair and was losing more hair than I usually did. Fortunately, my mood was OK and if I was down, it was probably due to my living/work situation. After 8.5 months I finished the course and after a week or so my lips got better. It's now been 3 months since taking it and I haven't had a single pimple or break out. My scalp has started to produce oil again, which I hope will fix my hair, but I have just started taking hair loss/strengthening supplements called Nourkrin and I hope that will help improve the health of my scalp and hair. In a nutshell: It was disappointing at the beginning, but I am so glad I stuck with it as I now get compliments on my skin (this had literally never happened ever in my life). I still have faint red marks on my skin from the old scars (my skin is very sensitive so when I used to get pimples they'd leave marks which lasted for very long periods of time). I may consider laser treatment to deal with these residual marks, but I suspect they will fade with more time. Hoping the supplements improve the condition of my hair which has been the worst casualty of isotretinoin.

Helped for Awhile

So I don't know if my review is going to help, for I was on Accutane 20 years ago. However, maybe it will help some people who are currently starting out on Accutane or are in treatment. Some background: I had suffered with acne since the age of 14, but acne got progressively worse in my 20's. I found out much later down the road it was hormonal acne. I tried so many treatments, from otc products to prescription-strength medications and finally got fed-up at the age of 25. The Accutane rules were a bit different back then - not quite as strict. For women, you still had to take a pregnancy test, but only once a month as opposed to two (I know this because I almost went on it again but bailed out at the last minute). You still had to be on two forms of birth control and get monthly blood work (I think it was for liver testing?). I don't recall having to go through such a strict clearance to pick up a prescription every month, but my memory could be off. Anyway, the first month or so, my acne did get worse before it got better. My skin got very dry and my lips were ridiculously chapped and dry, to the point where they were cracked, bleeding, and peeling. People even asked what was wrong with my lips. No amount of lip balm seemed to help. To this day, 20 years later, I have perpetually dry lips. Luckily, lip products have come a long way since then and they now have a lot of great overnight lip masks that you can use (thank you Sephora!). But regular Aquaphor works very well. My vision also became very blurry and I remember my eyes being dry. I can't recall any other side effects off the top of my head. But after awhile, I began to see amazing progress. By the end of the treatment, my skin was beautiful and clear. Not a pimple to be found anywhere! My skin stayed clear for three wonderful years. And then gradually returned. I was so disappointed. As I mentioned earlier, I never did do a second round of Accutane. It was around the time that I wanted to have kids and I was too scared to. And when I tried a new dermatologist, she did not recommend it and put me on another regimen instead. I really, truly, hope it works for you long-term. I will never forget those three years of beautiful skin. It was worth the side effects to experience that. It changed my skin texture, cleared up the marks on my face, everything. It was truly life-changing for me. I hope it is for you too!

Before I begin Accutane

I’m just about to start Accutane, however I am a male and I’m 17 years old, I’ve been told I have moderate/severe acne but in other cases some people tell me I have hormonal acne just like my brother did who was the same as me, however cleared up when he was 19-20 and he’s now 22 and never gets a pimple. I get my acne along my jawline, neck, around the lower mouth, chin... let’s say the lower parts of my face mainly but also on my chest and back! I weigh 73kg and my dermo is putting me on 20mg to start with, the reason being is because I have a wedding to go to in 6 weeks and I was scared I would face the initial break out just before the wedding and I didn’t want to have dry flaky skin also. He told me because of my weight i’d be fine on 20mg and I should not break out for the wedding, he asked me to get back to him in 6 weeks for results. I want to know whether I should listen and go ahead or is it best to wait, will I most likely break out because I’m not going to lie I am so scared and sonscience about what’s going to happen!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Comments

Excited to start my course of treatment

Going to start with 5 stars and retract once I've actually experienced treatment. I haven't personally started isotretinoin yet. I was primed to start back in August 2017 before finding out I was pregnant and my treatment plan put on delay. After reading all the reviews (which have been extremely helpful), I've decided the benefits out weight the risks. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and I will check back here once I start my treatment (within about six months) and give my honest review. P.S. Moderate/Severe itchy cystic (keloid-type) acne in jawline area.

Was it a planned pregnancy? I was amazed when I was reading up on Accutane how many women get pregnant after finishing Accutane and have to go back on it after their baby is born. . . the hormonal changes make them break out. So maybe you dodged a bullet!

Popular Oral