3.92,307 reviews

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Accutane (isotretinoin) Reviews

Brand: Accutane

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

My Isotretinoin journey

Hi, I wanted to leave a review after finishing isotretinoin over a 8 month period. I read so many reviews that helped so want to do my bit... So...a bit about me: I'm a 28 year old female who had suffered from mild acne since my teens. My acne really wasn't that bad, hence most people wouldn't have defined it as acne. More or less, I had 2-3 active pimples at any given time, which meant I thought it could be easily treated with over the counter treatments. These never worked. My frustration grew. When I was 27 I went to a doctor in London (where I had moved one year prior from Australia). I explained to the doc that I still broke out and given my age, it was becoming a problem because it should have cleared up. I had been on various birth control pills, had an ultrasound for polycystic ovaries, but none of that had worked. I was referred to a dermatologist on the NHS. When I met with the derm she suggested accutane. I was very hesitant because I'd heard so many bad things about the side effects. I have had depression and wasn't keen to start medication that might affect my mood. She explained that if I went on anti-biotics, the chances were that the acne would return once I got off, so accutane was my best bet and I could start on a very low dose to reduce symptoms of side effects. After doing a lot of research I decided to give it a shot. I am 6ft tall and weighed 8-kg, so I was going to need more than your average girl. I still only started on 20mg per day. After 2 weeks or so I started getting dry lips, but they weren't too bad. I continued on the 20mg for a couple of months (no real improvement in my skin, and in fact it was getting worse). I upped to 40mg, but still no improvement and again...it was getting worse. I was obviously very upset, but the derm said I should still persevere and we upped it to 60mg, coupled with some steroids to combat the inflammation. It was at that point where I saw massive improvements. I stopped breaking out and was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I stayed on 60mg for a few months before going up to 80mg as I wanted the course to finish as soon as possible. My lips were dry, but I didn't get the skin peeling or other major side effects. What I did notice though was that my hair became very VERY dry. I have long hair and was losing more hair than I usually did. Fortunately, my mood was OK and if I was down, it was probably due to my living/work situation. After 8.5 months I finished the course and after a week or so my lips got better. It's now been 3 months since taking it and I haven't had a single pimple or break out. My scalp has started to produce oil again, which I hope will fix my hair, but I have just started taking hair loss/strengthening supplements called Nourkrin and I hope that will help improve the health of my scalp and hair. In a nutshell: It was disappointing at the beginning, but I am so glad I stuck with it as I now get compliments on my skin (this had literally never happened ever in my life). I still have faint red marks on my skin from the old scars (my skin is very sensitive so when I used to get pimples they'd leave marks which lasted for very long periods of time). I may consider laser treatment to deal with these residual marks, but I suspect they will fade with more time. Hoping the supplements improve the condition of my hair which has been the worst casualty of isotretinoin.

Helped for Awhile

So I don't know if my review is going to help, for I was on Accutane 20 years ago. However, maybe it will help some people who are currently starting out on Accutane or are in treatment. Some background: I had suffered with acne since the age of 14, but acne got progressively worse in my 20's. I found out much later down the road it was hormonal acne. I tried so many treatments, from otc products to prescription-strength medications and finally got fed-up at the age of 25. The Accutane rules were a bit different back then - not quite as strict. For women, you still had to take a pregnancy test, but only once a month as opposed to two (I know this because I almost went on it again but bailed out at the last minute). You still had to be on two forms of birth control and get monthly blood work (I think it was for liver testing?). I don't recall having to go through such a strict clearance to pick up a prescription every month, but my memory could be off. Anyway, the first month or so, my acne did get worse before it got better. My skin got very dry and my lips were ridiculously chapped and dry, to the point where they were cracked, bleeding, and peeling. People even asked what was wrong with my lips. No amount of lip balm seemed to help. To this day, 20 years later, I have perpetually dry lips. Luckily, lip products have come a long way since then and they now have a lot of great overnight lip masks that you can use (thank you Sephora!). But regular Aquaphor works very well. My vision also became very blurry and I remember my eyes being dry. I can't recall any other side effects off the top of my head. But after awhile, I began to see amazing progress. By the end of the treatment, my skin was beautiful and clear. Not a pimple to be found anywhere! My skin stayed clear for three wonderful years. And then gradually returned. I was so disappointed. As I mentioned earlier, I never did do a second round of Accutane. It was around the time that I wanted to have kids and I was too scared to. And when I tried a new dermatologist, she did not recommend it and put me on another regimen instead. I really, truly, hope it works for you long-term. I will never forget those three years of beautiful skin. It was worth the side effects to experience that. It changed my skin texture, cleared up the marks on my face, everything. It was truly life-changing for me. I hope it is for you too!

Before I begin Accutane

I’m just about to start Accutane, however I am a male and I’m 17 years old, I’ve been told I have moderate/severe acne but in other cases some people tell me I have hormonal acne just like my brother did who was the same as me, however cleared up when he was 19-20 and he’s now 22 and never gets a pimple. I get my acne along my jawline, neck, around the lower mouth, chin... let’s say the lower parts of my face mainly but also on my chest and back! I weigh 73kg and my dermo is putting me on 20mg to start with, the reason being is because I have a wedding to go to in 6 weeks and I was scared I would face the initial break out just before the wedding and I didn’t want to have dry flaky skin also. He told me because of my weight i’d be fine on 20mg and I should not break out for the wedding, he asked me to get back to him in 6 weeks for results. I want to know whether I should listen and go ahead or is it best to wait, will I most likely break out because I’m not going to lie I am so scared and sonscience about what’s going to happen!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Comments

Excited to start my course of treatment

Going to start with 5 stars and retract once I've actually experienced treatment. I haven't personally started isotretinoin yet. I was primed to start back in August 2017 before finding out I was pregnant and my treatment plan put on delay. After reading all the reviews (which have been extremely helpful), I've decided the benefits out weight the risks. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and I will check back here once I start my treatment (within about six months) and give my honest review. P.S. Moderate/Severe itchy cystic (keloid-type) acne in jawline area.

Accutane and initial breakout

My doctor prescribe me accutane 20mg a day as i am having severe acne, its an end of 2nd week and i am experiencing initial breakouts dnt know why my doctor prescribe me this for 20 days and call me again for checkup, Is really accutane works?? coz m still having breakouts every new fay with a new pimple on face

Changed my life

I live in the UK and went on Roaccutane 30mg for 5 months in early 2016. Did LOTS of research and convinced my doctor that i wanted to try it. Now February 2018 and i don't know why I spent 10 years of my life dealing with acne when I could have changed my life so much earlier.. Best decision I ever made and I pray that the effects last. In terms of health, I am quite sensitive and was worried about the side effects, but after watching lots of youtube videos I decided the risks were worth it for me. The only side effects I got were: 2 nosebleeds and dry lips (to the extent that i couldn't wear lipstick for 5 months) - these are side effects I was grateful for as I know it could have been a lot worse. All I have to say is, don't let everyone's reviews below discourage you from trying it, because lets be honest no one has the exact same experience. if after a few weeks you aren't feeling it you can always stop and tell your doctor. I say it's worth a shot, especially if you end up feeling as happy as i do now.

If I could give it zero stars, I would

Taking Accutane was a HUGE mistake! I took it because I had been battling acne for over a decade. I did not have cystic acne but my face was always full of pimples and some were quite painful. The entire month and a half I took it, I was severely sick to my stomach. I missed several days of work and could not keep any food down. I also developed the largest pustules I have ever had in my life. The only acne scars I have on my face are from the breakouts I had while on Accutane. It still upsets me, over a decade later, that i could have been scar free if I hadn't taken this drug. I also believe my immune system was severely compromised from taking Accutane. I got terrible colds the following 2 winters in a row that I had a terrible time fighting off. Prior to taking Accutane, I would only get minor colds in the winter. If you are a female with hormonal acne, I highly recommend trying Spironolactone first. 50mg 2x a day has kept my skin clear for 9 years now. Absolutely nothing else worked for me except Spironolactone. I know that some people with cystic acne do have success with Accutane. But it was a horrible nightmare for me. I recommend females try Spiro first before resorting to such a damaging drug as Accutane. Unfortunately, guys cannot take Spiro due to side effects in the male body.

I’m doing great on low dose Accutane! It has cleared my skin with few side effects. It has also reduced my sebaceous hyperplasia. Maybe you were dosed too high...

Side effects were manageable for me

180lb male age 23 duration: 214 days (~7months) dose: 40mg for 2 months, 60mg for 1 month then 80mg for the remaining months, respectively. I paid about $20 a month after bcbs insurance covered most of it. before isotretinoin: applied chapstick 2-3 times daily applied lotions only to elbows and feet during the winter eyes almost never dry easily complete an hour weight lifting workout with energy to spare during isotretinoin: -apply lip moisturizer up to 10 times a day, and even waking up in the middle of the night to do so -apply lotion at least once a day or get rashes -dry eyes in the evening sometimes made it difficult to read -nose was very dry, almost never had any moisture -my face flaked dead skin -any minor cut seemed to be redder than normal and take longer to heal -lifting weights became a little more difficult due to some joint pain, and feeling fatigued more easily; cut workouts to 30-40 min -**i got probably 50% more acne than i originally had during the first 4 months of my treatment** When it finally got into the summer time all the dryness related side effects reduced and made me significantly more comfortable I never got any sunburn, but only because i put on LOADS of sunscreen and avoided the sun whenever possible. i stopped treatment 8 months ago and i've had maybe a dozen pimples since. i still have some light acne scarring but i am treating it successfully with hydroquinone. all the side effects are back to normal. Thankfully nothing has been permanent. Overall I'd say it was worth it

Roaccutane UK 2017 May - Dec, male.

Male 34 Roaccutane 20mg x 2 months, 30 mg x 2 months, 40mg x 4 months. Ok, just the facts. Had very oily and skin and custic acne. I tried benzoyl peroxide 10%, differin, treclin, isoxtrein, tetralysal, epiduo, and most of the over the counter medicines Side effects. 2nd day very bad headache, though it went away and never had one agiain I cried at work once when my tablets went up to 30mg on the beginning of month 3, I wasn't sad at all. Just stared crying, I was totally fine after about 5 minutes... and I never got that again. I got slight eczema on my forearms but that went away instantly with moisturizer. That's it. Nothing else happened, my cholesterol went up a bit, but not a problem. My skin started to get better straight away no real initial breakout. My skin got dry and looked not very good for about 10 days on week 2 but then it just got better and better. At the end of the course I look almost perfect and havent had any spots for like half a year, I have been on it for 8 months. No hair loss, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no blood in toilet, no bowel problems All this is purely my experience. Please make your decision carefully. I am happy to answer any and all questions X

Comments

Definitely worked but with side effects.

I started isotretinon when my whole face, especially cheeks were full of very painful, large cystic acne. I noticed difference in 30 days itself. And in the next 20 days, I had only small pimples that would last 3-4 days and then go away. I did not use it more than 50 days. Reason: it damaged my liver. It increased my ALT/AST levels by almost 8-10 times the normal. Before I got the liver function test done, I was going through a horrible condition. I would sleep almost 14 hours a day, and yet I felt tired and struggled to stay awake in the remaining hours. I had started dreaming excessively, could barely concentrate while studying and felt depressed too. I was able to make the connection when I stopped the pills and within 4-5 days I felt very active, would sleep 7-8 hours, and felt lighter and happier. These pills are no joke. They work, but if you must use them, then educate yourself about the side effects and ask your doctor how you can minimise the side effects. I do not think there has been any long term side effect for me (my liver test came normal after a month of quitting the pills).

Comments

Accutane Will Change Your Life!!

I'm going to write a very detailed review, but I'll summarize quickly: Accutane worked for me, but there were lasting side effects. I would encourage anyone considering the medication to do their research and really weigh out whether their acne is bad enough that risking long term side effects would be worth it. For me, I was 32 and my cystic acne had been ruining my confidence for over a decade. It was so worth it. The first month or so on Accutane, I experienced "flushing," i.e. redness and heat of my face, and a rough texture. Everything started to get dry, especially my lips. My acne began to clear almost immediately, which is NOT typical, and in fact I've read that some people don't see results until well AFTER they've completed their treatment! The second month, these side effects continued, as well as new ones: I'm really active in strength training and mountain biking, and I noticed a lot of pain in my lower body joints, especially my right hip. My hips were popping a lot. This was really discouraging, I didn't want to stop working out, but I really had to tone it down. When I had minor crashes on my mountain bike, they HURT and I bruised badly. My lips peeled constantly, I sweat more than usual and had hot flashes. Third month, I had blood with a bowel movement. Bright red, horrifying blood. I saw a doctor immediately, as is indicated by the warnings on this medication, because intestinal diseases are a potential side effect. Luckily, it turned out to be an internal hemorrhoid, and the tissue thinning that happens with Accutane just exacerbated the condition, so I was able to continue my course safely with no recurrence after I finished my course. I finished about five and a half months of the treatment, and here's the end result: I rarely break out, and when I do it's nothing compared to my old acne. My skin and hair are less oily. It's wonderful. The downside is that the flushing I experienced early in my treatment turned out to be a long term effect of Accutane; I now have mild rosacea that needs to be treated with a topical to keep my skin clear and smooth. No big deal. The worst of my lasting problems is my hip: Both hips still pop frequently and I think I caused a chronic hip injury by continuing to stay active through the discomfort while I was on the drug, though it's not anything that keeps me from physical activity. BUT it's important to note that I have had issues with my lower body joints for years, so I do not believe this would have happened if I weren't prone to such problems to begin with. I have read lots of reviews from people blaming Accutane for conditions as severe as fibromyalgia, and I'm not buying it; based on my personal experience, I believe that Accutane can exacerbate pre-existing conditions, but I don't think it's likely to cause new ones. Most of the complaints about Accutane "causing" new conditions that I have read are from people who began Accutane as a teenager, so I think it just seemed like the drug "caused" their condition, but in reality they were probably just asymptomatic at that time because of their age. Which brings me to my second disclaimer: I would personally not recommend this drug for anyone who isn't fully grown. I'm frankly shocked that a drug with such severe potential side effects is prescribed to kids who may very well grow out of their acne in a few years! So again: I urge you to find a doctor who isn't willing to used Accutane until you've exhausted all other options, and who seems knowledgeable about potential side effects. Even then, do your own research and decide if it's worth the risk. If you do start Accutane, STICK WITH IT even if you don't see immediate results! It was worth every miserable second for me to be rid of my embarrassing acne for good.

Meh so far... help?

I'm on my 45th day of accutane treatment of 30mg a day. My acne has been breaking out worse than it ever was before, but otherwise I am experiencing basically negligible side effects. Slightly dry lips, but that's it. Is my dosage too low? Is that why my breakout is so prolonged? I'm 19, 60kgs.

Breakout should completely stop by month 3. Yes you need 60 mg for a full recovery. Good luck

Accutane changed my life :))

Have read so many reviews on Acne.org and visited the site so many times with the hope of finding a cure to Acne. I had promised myself that if I did find something that worked I would definitely post a review, so here it is! I had suffered from moderate to mild but persistent acne for 3 years. It started when I was around 16. It was such a confidence killer for me and made me extremely concious. I tried everything there was to try- from all sorts of cream to face washes, home cures, face packs. But nothing just seemed to work. 3 years later I decided to go see the dermatoligist for the second time. That's when he prescribed me accutane. Another dermatoligist had prescribed me accutane a year back but I did not take it then as the huge list side effects scared me. My biggest regret would be not taking it then. :( So I started Accutane with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism. My skin was pretty much the same for 2 weeks then it detoriated a little for the next 2 weeks. My face was all red and disgusting. And then everything changed completely. Waking up every morning and seeing my skin get better everyday was the best feeling in the world. My skin was mostly clear after a months time and now after taking accutane for 6 months, it is completely flawless. People really underestimate how good a clear skin feels. I feel confident and happy. I feel like myself after such a long period of time. Not worrying about your skin and how you look all the time is so liberating. I remember when I had acne, I would constantly keep looking myself at the mirror to see some progress and try a thousand things everyday. Accutane changed my life and I really would reccomemd it to everyone. I had my apprehensions, but now that I have seen the results I only have one regret- I wish I had taken it before! Nevertheless grateful... So if there is anyone with Acne who has lost all hope and is reading this, please please please give Accutane a try, it is worth it. As happy as I am with my skin, there is this one big fear- what if my acne returns when I stop with the medication.. One can only hope it doesn't ! :)

Pros and cons

I went on a 4-6 month course of moderate strength roaccutane 3 years ago for moderate to severe acne. My acne was totally clear within a couple months of starting the course and at the time of taking it just had the side effects of dry skin and eyes, regular mild nose bleeds and cracked lips that would often bleed at the corners. They couldn’t increase my dose because my cholesterol kept going high despite the fact I’m a young healthy 24 year old at the time. My skin stayed clear for probably 6 months post treatment then I started getting small spots again. It was mild for probably 12-18 months and then worsened more. I’m not at the point where I’m considering another treatment because it’s now moderate. I never get cystic acne now but just a lot of spots again. Before treatment I’d say my acne was 7/10, with 10 being the worse ever and 1 being very mild acne. I’d say it’s 4/10 now but still enough to bother me. I’ve tried creams and contraceptive pill that help a bit but my dermatologist says it’s just keeping it at bay and will never be a long term fix. I’m worried about when I get older and want a family and I can’t use anything for my skin, what will it be like then!? Downsides also to the drug I had severe hair loss which I think started 1 year or so after. I lost about half my hair thickness and my hair became dry and broke very easily. It’s taken 3 years for it to almost grow back but it’s probably 70% as thick as it used to be. Thankfully I have naturally very thick hair. I also get very lethargic and short of breathe easily and I think this started after the roaccutane. Doctors can’t find a cause for this. So really in two minds about going back on it!

Seems accutain was still in your gut.

best product

I used to have mild acne for over 10 years. Thanks to Accutane i have a clear face for over 1,5 years already. Besides one pimple a week, i am acne free. Everyday i wake up happy not worrying about pimples anymore. Life changer!

Cure for some

I'm giving Acctuane two stars because it was a total cure for both of my brothers. Unfortunately for my sister and I, we both relapsed a few months after stopping. The dermatologist recommended taking a second round, but at the end of my first round my hair was falling out. I still have bald patches on my hairline. Not cool.

Comments

Cleared on low dose Accutane!

I have used this forum like forever and have tried the acne.org regimen for the past 1 year. Although my acne has got better at times, new ones just keep popping out. I think my acne is cystic, because recently I noticed that its getting more painful and larger around my lower cheeks and chin. I read many of the side effects of Accutane, and feel quite torn whether to see a doctor or just stick to the creams. I cannot take antibiotics as i have a weak stomach. One day, when i was meeting my client and needed to go to the bathroom, I overheard them commenting on my looks as they entered later. I just broke down and felt so depressed. I began searching for an acne clinic in Singapore that could help. The doctor was friendly and professional enough, and explained all about acne and accutane. I read all about the side effects of accutane, and am really worried about the side effects. My doctor, dr. Moses Ng, said my acne was indeed cystic hormonal acne, and advised starting accutane. He recommended starting on a low dose, as he has experience treating many patients on lower dosages with good results. Side effects would be lower too. I was given 20mg accutane daily. He prepped me for the initial purge and how to deal with the side effects. The first 2 weeks were horrible. It got so painful that I wanted to cry. I could take the dry skin and cracked lips, but my acne looked the worst ever. I told myself to bear with it and focused my thoughts instead on K-drama and reading. By the end of 4 weeks, my acne looked no different from when i started taking accutane. My derm at the follow up visit did some blood tests, and just told me to continue as most only see results in 6-8 weeks (that's long!) From the second month, things started to turn around and my acne became less painful. The dryness was still there, but it didn't bother me a great extent. At the next visit, i pointed out some red marks on my face, and my derm mentioned its acne marks, post-inflammatory redness, i think. He said it will get better with time. I'm at 6 months of accutane now, and my skin is mostly clear. I do get the one or two pimples popping up when my period is near, or when I'm eating something I shouldn't. I'm quite happy that i overcame my fears (and my acne). There's so much information out there, that it can freak people out. Find a doctor that will listen, and hold your hand along the way (i spent close to half an hour in the consultation room during my first visit).

Comments

Works amazingly but acne came back after two rounds of accutane

This drug is a miracle worker but for me my acne returned worse than before about a year after treatment. Side effects were dry skin, sores on my skin, back and joint pain which i still suffer with now years after.

Why would you add a five-star review then? That sounds horrible!

Changed My Life - Only Regret is Not Doing it Sooner

I did Accutane years ago, thought I'd give my two cents. Before Accutane I had cystic acne, and nothing would help - I tried so many different skin routines and acne products on the shelf, birth control, antibiotics... You name it, I tried it. My skin controlled my life and I was always so anal about keeping it clean, afraid of anything touching it, changing my pillow cases constantly, researching home remedies for hours. I knew Accutane was a possibility, but it scared me. I had heard about the initial breakout many people experience, and was afraid of this because I scar VERY easily. However, eventually when no other treatments worked, and I was still scarring anyways, I just decided screw it, I can either face the initial break out, or face a lifetime of continuous scarring. I went on Accutane and within the first couple months saw drastic improvement. Luckily, I never experienced an initial breakout. Just slow and steady decrease in acne right from the start. I do still get the occasional small spot here and there, but these are the type of pimples that are maybe 1-2 mm in diameter, are totally flat, do not scar, and fade away within a couple of days. Before Accutane I would get deep rooted, cystic nodules that were raised from the surface, painful, and could last over a month, but afterwards I never experienced another cystic pimple... NOT ONCE. The one negative effect was lip dryness that still affects me to this day. However, this one simple annoyance is absolutely nothing compared to the despairs of cystic acne. My only regret is not doing it sooner, I waited over a year to try it because I was afraid of the initial breakout, and in that time I just experienced additional scarring that could have been prevented had I started sooner.

Help

Im currently on accutane taking 60gm a day today is my first day to month 4 am still breakingout but only on my face my back is completly clear now i have moderate acne any ideas why or what i should do?

Just stick with it you will clear up. I'm at of month 4 my self on 60mgs it's doing great.

Worked great for my oily severe acne when nothing else would!

Accutane worked fantastic for me. I had very inflamed acne all over my cheeks and the general side of my face. It was definitely severe. My skin is also very oily. I took 40 mg a day for 5 months. After the first week, I could tell a difference in my blackheads. My acne was gone by the end of month 3 with perfect skin by month 4. The only side effect that bothered me was the dry lips, and I was more prone to eye styes. Dr.Dans cortibalm was an absolute life saver for my lips. For face wash, I used and still use Keihls ultra-facial oil free cleanser and moisturizer. It is very gentle and mild and helps control some of my oil.