Page 4 of Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 417 reviews

Zinc

Only thing that worked for hormonal acne
Reviewed on October 10, 2013

I just learned about Zinc in acne.org. And now I made an account just to rave about it and hopefully to help people having the same hormonal acne problem. I'm a 25 year old female. I have had acne in the chin area since high school. It doesn't go away and they are very huge, when a pimple is cured another big one shows up again. It's a depressing cycle. Not only is it ugly but it is very painful as well.

I have tried everything. I wash my face with a very gentle facial wash, I always eat healthy and drink a lot of water, I change my pillow cases after a few days, I remove my makeup at night and sleep well. Usual advice to cure acne but nothing seems to work for me. No matter how clean I keep my face it's still there. Then I learned that you can only cure hormonal acne internally.

Having read zinc is a possible treatment, I bought 15mg daily supplements from the drug store.

Taking Zinc made a huge difference to my skin. Although it did not cure the present pimple on my face, after just a few days of taking it, no new pimple pops up! I have been using this for 2 months and I am happy to say that the last pimple that I had was the one before I took Zinc. I now combine it with Vitamin C supplement.

You don't have to take a huge amount of Zinc everyday. I take 15mg of Zinc Gluconate everyday. You can also just take a multivitamin tablet that contains Zinc.

If you're a female and you have chin acne especially at that time of the month, you probably have hormonal acne like me. Zinc balances your hormones and taking it can help you a lot.

I did not make a review immediately because I want to see it for myself first. I am very satisfied with taking it and I highly recommend it. After 10 years of hormonal acne, I am now pimple free and my skin looks glowing.

It's effective for the skin but it messes with my menstrual cycle
Reviewed on September 10, 2013

I knew about zinc through acne.org. I read a lot of reviews and decided to try it. Why not? I have nothing to loose. I was aware that taking zinc supplements would deplete the absorption of copper.

I bought zinc from the brand Now Foods (Optizinc - 30mg), which also have copper in it. I paid less than 5 euros for 100 capsules. I take the birth control pill for birth control purposes (obviously) but it never did anything for my acne. I took the pill Diane in the past, but it didn't do anything for me... I have whiteheads and sometimes inflamed pimples around my jawline, and blackheads in my nose and cheeks. I have also oily skin...

Zinc seemed ok to take, and many people said it helped a lot with their acne and oily skin. I only took it for 2 weeks, because after that i had to take antibiotics, and i was afraid that zinc would affect it's absorption - i read something about this. After one week i had to take it only 2 to 3 times a week, because i was experience a lot of tiredness and a little of nose bleeding... But i notice a difference on my skin. It was looking healthier, less oily and inflamed spots were gone.

I also noticed a difference on my period which came a couple of days after i stopped zinc (one day after it was supposed to). The bleeding was really minimal and very different from my usual periods even, which i clearly attribute to the taking of zinc. Zinc levels play an important role on menstrual cycle, by regulating the hormones. Its proven to make menstrual cramps better, but it also reduces bleeding. (i had no premenstrual pain, which i usually do) I'm now very skeptical about taking it again... if it can do this with my menstrual cycling, it's because is messing with it in certain way, and i'm not really comfortable with that... It's a shame...but i really don't want to mess with my internal system, i can make it worse by not knowing exactly what kind of imbalance i have.

I recommend to give it a go, but make sure you know about side effects and how it can mess with your internal system.

Just 15mg of Zinc made a huge difference
Reviewed on August 29, 2013

I'm a 35 year old female who has had acne in the chin area since my early twenties. I started using benzoyl peroxide about 2 years ago with great success but had to stop when it was discontinued in the UK last year (I believe for safety concerns). Since my supply ran out I've been trying to find a good alternative.

I tried Freederm, and on its own it made about a 50% improvement but I wanted to clear my acne completely. Having read zinc is a possible treatment, I went to Holland and Barrett and bought 15mg daily supplements.

These have made a huge difference to my skin. The effect was immediate. After the first day of taking a tablet, I did not wake up with a new spot. Since then, I've only had one spot. I now combine it with Freederm and and am almost completely spot free.

I want people to know that you don't have to (and probably shouldn't) take huge quantities of zinc orally. 15mg a day is the recommended daily intake in the UK and it's certainly enough to make a difference with me. It's thought to be dangerous to take zinc in large doses, or for a long time (as you can't link to research on this site, just google it for more information!).

I'm vegetarian, so I feel ok about supplementing my zinc to the recommended level for now, particularly as it clears up my acne. However, i will only use it for as long as I need to and think it's important for individuals to research the effects of zinc on the body, in relation to themselves personally.

Helped A lot
Reviewed on August 14, 2013

The best thing zinc does for me is reduce the redness and inflamation from pimples. Like I still get some whiteheads but there small and not big red cysts like I had before. I would totally recommend it. And its not perscription so it seems pretty safe :)

Only thing which has worked
Reviewed on July 19, 2013

I had quite severe cystic acne for over ten years, on and off, continuing into adulthood, and tried EVERYTHING. Eventually my derm prescribed me roaccutane which I was very reluctant to take; I wanted to avoid harsh chemicals, so starting using acne.org to research healthy alternatives. I started taking daily effervescent zinc (10mg), vitamin c (1000mg) and cod liver oil about 6 months ago and my acne has all but cleared up! I used to get really bad hormonal break outs around my chin and jaw (two or three new angry, painful cysts every morning which stayed on my face for months) but now maybe will get one small cyst every couple of weeks which goes within a week or two. I'm left with some red marks but these are starting to fade now too.

My skin care regime has been the same for about a year (gentle cleansing and salicylic acid moisturiser), so it must be the supplements - I really can't recommend trying zinc enough! I never thought it would work, but it really has, and I can finally leave the house without make up!

Not seen a benefit, it may work for you
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

I've had all types of spots and very oily skin since I was 12, I have also tried many over the counter and prescription treatments nothing worked as well as Roaccutane. I just want something to work hence the trying of new things. But I guess we are all different and react in different ways. So far my skin has not been very cooperative. lol.

I take 1 tablet of 15mg zinc twice a day. I've always had strong nails and long shiney thick hair, so I can't really see a differnce. I've been taking this amount of zinc for over a year. I may do a test and see what happens if I stop taking Zinc for one month. And I'll update.

good
Reviewed on July 10, 2013

I'm not sure how much this has helped my acne (comedonal), but I do notice that I have really great strong nails, my skin's overall brightness is improved, and my hair is very strong and shiny. I took fish oil for these concerns previously (I stopped taking because it caused cystic acne for me) The zinc seems to be much more effective for those concerns than the fish oil ever was for me.

Only thing that works
Reviewed on July 4, 2013

I wanted to wait a little while after taking zinc before I wrote a review, because I did not want to get anyone's hopes up. I made this account just to say that zinc has dramatically changed my skin. I started getting acne when I was around 12 (about the time I started becoming a woman if you know what I mean). My sister suffered from similar acne problems, so her dermatologist put her on Accutane. Unfortunately, she became severely depressed on the drug and was forced to stop taking it 4 months in. However, it cleared her acne completely. My mother, of course, would not let me go on Accutane after already having a history of depression, so we tried every topical treatment there is. I was also put on birth control, but I did not see much of a difference. I was hoping that it was something that I would just grow out of. I just turned 21 and I realized that I had to do something, because there is no way in hell that I'm going to have adult acne when I had already had it for 8-9 years. The universe just can't be that cruel. So, instead of relying on "acne clearing" products, I did loads of research on holistic remedies that would help. Like many other reviewers, I realized that my acne must be caused by an internal/hormonal imbalance. I started taking a Vitamin B complex with D3. I didn't see results so I did a bit more research. I started zinc a little over a month ago and my acne is pretty much gone. I may have one or two little ones on my jawline which is nothing compared to having 15-20 large under the skin pimples. I have scars and red marks all over my face, so I still have to wear makeup but I'm hoping those will fade with time. Even with the marks, my skin looks better than it has since I started middle school. It's definitely worth a try! I take 30-60 mg a day after eating a meal. It doesn't make me feel sick. I recommend using OptiZinc. It may take over a month to see results, but when you do, you'll be so so happy. We acne people need to stick together so we can all become acne free people.

I'm also obsessed with Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil Cleansing Pads and their Thoroughly Clean Face Wash. It really helps get any kind of dirt out. I think it was the combo that helped the most.

Never seen much of a difference.
Reviewed on June 27, 2013

Awesome supplement for your health.. but when It came to my acne, I never seen much of a difference.

A cure for hormonal acne
Reviewed on June 16, 2013

Zinc cleared my hormonal cystic acne. I had a severe hormonal breakout after coming off Yaz (BCP). I had cystic acne on my chin, neck and jawline. After 6 months of trying to clear it, I realised that you can't 'cure' hormonal acne topically, you have to work from within as well. Just before I decided to turn to antibiotics, I read about Zinc. I was scarred from using pills to treat acne, after my experience with BCP, and really didn't want to use antibiotics, but I thought I had no choice. But instead I decided to start taking Zinc (25mg amino acid chelate) and 3g of fish oil daily. Within a week, my cysts which had been there for over 3 months (yes, one cluster of cysts on my neck was there for about 3 months), were gone. All my cysts had virtually disappeared. 6 weeks in, and I now have one cyst, and maybe 3-4 pimples. This is a dramatic improvement from the cystic acne that was all over my chin, jawline and neck. I will continue to take Zinc indefinitely. It is an easy and safe way to treat hormonal acne (or any acne) from the inside in conjunction with topical treatments. Highly recommended. Also, I have had no negative symptoms relating to nausea. I take the Zinc with dinner, either in the middle of my meal or at the end, and I have had zero negative symptoms.