Page 2 of Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 411 reviews

Zinc

Tried literally everything before this
Reviewed on March 25, 2014

I had average acne through my teenage years but developed annoying cystic acne around 18 or 19 and have been battling with it until now (I'm 21). I would get clusters of painful lumps that would take months to go away and usually a new one every other day or so. I'm a picker, unfortunately, so I would pick at them until they would pop, leaving red marks all over my face. I began doing research about 1 1/2 years ago when I decided that topical treatment and taking good care of my face was not working like it did for other people. At first I tried taking fish oil and vitamin E- didn't help. Then I tried eliminating gluten- didn't help. Then I tried eliminating dairy- sped up the healing process for a couple "active" cysts, but after that it didn't help. At one point I was completely gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, and taking licorice root to heal my gut (all of this from reading things on the internet about what helped other people). FINALLY, I came across zinc deficiency. I read that taking zinc pills had helped other people with cystic acne, as well as taking pantothenic acid. I have only been taking those two pills (in addition to a multi, fish oil, licorice root, and vit E) and my face has CLEARED in a week. I still have the scars of course, but they are healing nicely. I have not had any new cysts since I started taking these pills! I'm still a little bit in the doubting state, but looks don't lie! I can't remember the last time my face was this clear!

Bottom line, if you've tried everything that has worked for other people with cystic acne and you're still not seeing results, you most likely have a zinc deficiency. Other symptoms I had for this were hangnails and white marks on my nails, but there are other symptoms.

*I take Now brand 500mg Pantothenic acid and Nature's Life brand 30mg zinc picolinate + 2mg copper in addition to taking good care of my face (exfoliating scrub, ACV toner, and coconut oil).

Oh, by the way, the reason I figured out elimination dieting didn't work and zinc pills did was because this past week I have eaten HORRIBLY (sugar, frozen dinners, lots of wheat, lots of dairy, and more sugar) while taking the pills and not only did my face not break out, but it was actually healing while eating all that.

disappointed
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

i started taking zinc (25 mg chelated,once daily) because i saw positive results from ppl, but after using it for 1 month i havent seen any improvments on my acne. i'll try for few more months ,can't lose anything..

Not As Good As I Thought It Would Be
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

My sons started taking 50 mg Zinc due to the good reviews. At first it seemed to help with redness in their skin and seemed to diminish red marks. However, over time they were getting more new pimples, both inflamed and under-skin bumps. So not only was the zinc not helping but it seemed to be worsening their acne. I think zinc actually increases testosterone so if you are a teenage male it probably won't work for you. My sons stopped taking it after a month.

Uncertain
Reviewed on June 2, 2010

I was taking this while changing too many other things around; hard to tell whether certain effects were due to the zinc or not.

Only a minor improvement with my acne
Reviewed on February 10, 2014

I have been taking 50mg of Zinc Gluconate for around 3 weeks now, and my experience has been inconclusive. After a few days of taking zinc my skin completely cleared up for a few days only to return to normal. While zinc hasn't seemed to prevent new acne for me, it does heal acne much faster than normal and it does at least prevent large cysts from forming. So, while I am not happy that the results I have seen as a whole, I would still suspect someone with less severe acne would see good or even great results.

Seeing Improvement
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

I have been taking a zinc supplement for about 2 months now and my skin is getting a lot better. Less redness and irritation. And less pimples overall. Still getting some pimples so I'm not completely cured, but it definitely helps. I will keep taking.

IT'S TRUE! It really truly works
Reviewed on January 16, 2014

I've struggled with different levels of acne since I was in 6th grade and I'm in my 3rd year of college now... it was never really bad until the past two years. It started to develop from typical mild acne which was kinda controlled with 10% bp or Proactiv. These past two years, I started struggling with deep cystic acne, it spread around my checks and chin area. It seems like it would come and go in cycles, but I've always been struggling with very heavy hyper-pigmentation and scarring (even if i didn't touch it!!!!). This last year I was put on doxycycline with really cleared up my skin but came back after a few months. In the summer I tried another antibiotic which didn't seem to be as effective. I've tried all, so many that I can't even remember them all...ziana, clyndamiacin, clynda-gel, tretinoin creams, different box kits, proactive, lots of creams that never seemed to be the 'one'.

I've recently gotten more into holistic medicine and I somehow stumbled across zinc. What I read on these reviews changed everything... I LITERALLY made my account to review zinc. It is really working!

I started taking zinc two days after Christmas and it's now half-way through january. The zinc really started to clear up my skin within a few days. About a week into the zinc I started to take a b-vitamin complex. I started breaking out severely, very painful cystic acne. There was nothing else new in my diet and no new products, so I stopped the b vitamins and continued the zinc. Within 3 days, it was all calm again. The zinc was really working. Since then I've had one tiny new active spot ( same day as my period- go figure) but I've been waking up with no new active spots and my scars are slowly fading. I've only been using the clyndagel with it since its winter and the tretinoin has been too harsh. Some spots on my skin have been extremely dry, but that could be from the harsh winter this year. The dry skin wouldn't stop me from taking the zinc. It's also started to clear up the last of the acne on my back which the birth control had mostly cleared up. (I've been taking this birth control for close to 6 months and never really helped my face too much).

I do have to take the zinc on a full stomach- I usually take it with dinner otherwise I will get really nauseous. But I seemed to only be really sensitive to it in the beginning. I've been taking 50 mg of zinc gluconate (just regular vitamin store brand, nothing special!) and I will continue to take it!! FYI, i also suffer easily from headaches and have not noticed an effect on the headaches by taking zinc. The b-vitamins definitely broke me out, but with zinc you have to maintain a copper balance, so I started taking a regular multi-vitamin for her from Nature's Made with no ill effect. Best of luck, try the zinc!!!!!

Never thought this would work for me!
Reviewed on January 14, 2014

i was tired of doing 3 step topical treatments twice a day. i guess im kind of lazy. lol and i also really wanted to get rid of my acne from the inside out because i have back acne too and im embarrassed to wear anything sleeveless. i take prescription meds (not for acne) in the AM and PM so i just put the zinc pills in each daily slot of my pill organizer so i never forget to take them. i really didnt think it would work cause my acne is STUBBORN but after about 5-7 days no big pimples showed up, my old acne started going away, and ive only gotten like 2-3 new small pimples instead of the usual 10ish new pimples after a period of 5-7 days. my complexion even looks different somehow. in a good way of coarse. ive been taking 100mgs of nature valleys zinc everyday. cheap stuff you can get at freakin walmart. 50mgs in the morning and 50mgs at night i doubled the dose that the directions said since im using it specifically for acne and not as an every day health supplement. i can only imagine it getting better from here! i just cant believe its working after just a week! if i can keep forcing myself to do a three step acne system at least once a day, preferably at night because sleeping right after treating my skin makes the results to be alot better in the morning, then combining the two will hopefully clear up my skin 80%-90% in a couple weeks. im even considering adding another 50mg zinc pill to see if it will work faster/better. im just so excited that my complexion is clearing up so fast! i just hope this doesnt backfire on me. i recommend this to EVERYONE! if it doesnt work for you then you should just continue to take the zinc till the bottle is empty cause zinc is good for you anyways.

oh and the reason i gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it does cause a tad bit of nausea if you dont take it with a good amount of food in your stomach.

So far, so good!
Reviewed on January 7, 2014

For starters, I take 50mg of Chelated Zinc Gluconate from Nature's Bounty. It's one small pill a day that I take after dinner with some coffee, and I've not experienced any of the negative side effects that other's have mentioned. I'm also 17, female, and have dealt with acne since I was about 9 - I believe because of an estrogen surplus. I've tried almost every topical on the market - perscription or otherwise, but my family couldn't afford to visit a proper dermetologist until recently, nevermind a perscription for accutane. (And to be honest, I'd take zits over any of the potential side effects any day.) Also, my mother refused to even consider birth control. It just isn't an option in my family.

I've been taking Zinc in this dose for about 8 days now and...low and behold, no new acne. I don't really believe it. I'm sure I sound like a cheesy infomercial but guys, it's actually kind of legit, and it's probably one of the easiest things you can try before heading off to a dermetologist and letting them pump chemicals and silicons onto your face. I used to get these nasty cysts around my mouth and chin, and huge whiteheads right on my lip that looked like cold sores. I have bangs too, so my forehead would get really greasy by 12 o'clock, even in winter. Now my skin is neither dry nor oily, just...normal. I've NEVER had normal skin - you can imagine my excitement.

THAT BEING SAID, my skin hasn't just magically become clear overnight, guys. My face is still riddled with old hyperpigmentation marks and scars, and there's still the occasional bump where blackheads are resting or where I suffered the worst breakouts and the skin is rebelling, but there's no new active pimples or pustles to be found anywhere on my face. I haven't had a single whitehead since the first 3 or so days I started taking zinc (and those were small and disappeared in a day or two,) and the redness in my face is going away now that I've begun using an astringent and moisturizor again. I don't want to let myself hope, since so many things have failed me before, but for the first time since I can remember, my skin is actually kind of smooth. It's freaking me out, lol.

With the brand I'm using, you get 100 pills, or a three month-ish supply if you only take one per day. I took pictures and plan on updating in another 3 weeks, and then again each month until I'm out. Hopefully, I'll still have good news to report. ^-^

Better than all these chemically induced products!
Reviewed on December 22, 2013

Hey guys,

I made an account specifically for this. It works wonders, literally. I've had acne since about 16. I would rate it mild, but at times I would get 4-5 flare ups at once along with acne that's been active. So that made me go from Proactiv, to Doxycycline (which worked for about 3 months) to experimenting with various foods. I came across someone's blog where they praised the "vitamin" cure. Basically, what they did was take Zinc, Vit A, Vit D, & fish oil. Also, the water intake was bumped way high! Think about the amount you drink now & multiple it by at least 4. So, I had nothing to lose and I went ahead and tried it! Boy... Best decision I have ever made in my life! Within days, my skin started to clear up. It was less oily, the active acne was clearing up, & to my surprise no new acne was forming. So I've been on this for about 2 weeks now and it really did the trick. My skin is slowly but surely becoming more clear, there is no active acne (except one small pimple), absolutely oil less. The only downfall is during the first week my acne scars seemed to have been more visible, but that's over with. I drink a bunch of water, probably around a gallon a day since I'm a 200 lbs 6'2 male. Also, go research Borage oil. I hear that it is a lost secret that truly keeps the skin vibrant, & aids in fading acne scars when applied topically & works from the inside out to clear acne. I actually already ordered a bottle so I'll be back to let you guys know how that goes. Alright guys, give vitamins a try! Just make sure you take the right amount.