Page 2 of Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 444 reviews

Zinc Gluconate

give it time
Reviewed on April 14, 2016

I made an account just to review this. I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I started getting acne when i was about 18. (now 24) I had never had any before that and then over the course of like two months it went from nothing to full fledged cystic acne. I get it all around my mouth, chin, and jawline. Almost nowhere else. At this time, I went vegetarian and then a year later vegan. It never occured to me that could affect anything. My doctor said to make sure to pop a B12 every now and then but never mentioned anything else. Also I went from no BC to Mirena that year. I tried everything except for accutane. Antibiotics (worked but knew this wouldn't be good for me long term), BP, SA (neither did anything), retin-a (took it for almost two years. i bought into that whole "it gets worse before it gets better" but it never did. in fact it destroyed my skin.). Switched facewash from cetephil to extremely diluted dr bronners (helped some, not a ton but helped my face not itch and be as dry), started washing my face with the dr bronners + distilled water (distilled water does help. again not a lot, but whenever i live somewhere with old pipes my face breaks out because i assume the minerals the water picks up through the pipes), OCM (this helped some too, at first it helped a lot, but then my acne kinda picked back up, although not as bad as when i was on retin-a).

After trying OCM and realizing that while it wasnt perfect, it helped WAY more then retin-a, I decided to look into more "natural" things. I looked up things that actually had been studied to have an affect and one of the first things that came up was Zinc. At first i started taking it jsut to see what happened, but as i did more research i realized i was probably very deficient since im vegan and have been for years. I didn't have the white spots on my nails but i had hang nails all the time on every single finger.

Now for the timeline:

Feb 7--started taking 15mg of zinc picolinate (thorne brand) once a day

March 7--saw no change. I was willing to be patient because all the studies seemed to be over about three months, but when i looked it up i realized the studies were based off of 30mgs so i thought about uping to that. but then i read that vegans can be highly deficient so......

March 8--started taking 100mg of zinc picolinate (blue bonnet brand) a day--50mg at lunch and 50mg at dinner. make sure you dont take it with any other medicine ( i take my antidepressent in the morning to avoid interference)

March 16--started to see a difference--no new ones, current ones seemed to be shrinking

March 19--finally at the point i didnt HAVE to wear make up. decided to cut down since it was clearing up and i know that long term, high doses arent good. Cut back to 50mg

March 26--doing better. not perfect, but way way way better. got rid of all my blackheads.

April 19--great! not perfect, but im okay with that. also i think if im truly deficient it may take my body a long time to catch up. cut back to 15mg just for maintence.

So thats pretty much it. Hopefully i covered everything. Id say it cleared my acne by about 70%. My routine is: nothing in the morning, try to avoid face make up if possible. zinc at dinner. Wash face with olive or almond oil every other night (dr bronners unscented the other night, extremely diluted with distilled water) and rinse with distilled water. on occasion (like twice a month) i exfoliate with baking soda and olive oil and rinse, then use ACV after. but really the zinc is the number 1 thing. just wanted to be thorough cause i know how much it helps.

Awesome!
Reviewed on March 21, 2016

I started getting really bad cystic acne on my chin about five months ago and nothing I did worked. They just kept popping up and the old ones wouldn't go away. I happened upon this website and read the reviews about zinc supplements and decided to give it a try. I've been taking zinc for a little over a week and all of my breakouts are completely gone! I couldn't believe it. I still wash my face every day and wash my make up brush every week to take care of my skin but I am totally acne free right now. It totally blows my mind. I was about to give up and I'm so thankful I found out about this. I take the chelated zinc tablets 50 mg but I cut them in half and only take one half a day. You have to be careful with zinc because too much in your system will deplete your copper which can cause health issues. If you have a zinc deficiency it could very well be the cause of your acne.

Amazing!!!
Reviewed on March 4, 2016

My acne comes and goes, i dont want to go beyond the limits still its not accutane as what i think as the last resort. I always stick to clean diet especially nondairy diet because it is the number one culprit for my acne. But it seems like my acne wont go away permanently im so depressed because it keeps on returning back whatever i do then i keep on researching and finally read on about zinc deficiency i noticed my right nails got white patches, i got acne, and i get easily tired andnj also read about its promising effects here on this site. I started on 1st of march i bought the chelated zing 30 mg i drank once per night and wow the results are immidiate! The next day most of my cystic acnes were drying up like zinc suck out all of the pus inside im so amazed. But on my 3rd day one pimple popped but it doesnt bother me at all. I know because im having my period soon. I will still give an update after weeks of using this product. ☺️☺️

by AlertTaxicab on 03/13/2016 12:33
which kind of zinc are you taking ?
by Ih8enca on 03/16/2016 02:30
Im taking zinc chelated one 30 mg daily recommended dose
Less than a month
Reviewed on January 27, 2016

I have tried everything, all of the face washes, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv and last year my GP put me on Doxycycline which helped me significantly for the three month duration I was on it. After the prescription ran out I decided not to continue because of the research I'd done which said that it completely destroys your intestinal flora!! I was never warned about that by my GP which angered me but hey, what can you do. I heard about Zinc supplements on this forum about a month ago and decided to try it out. So far, so good. My skin is definitely much better than it used to be. For the last 5 years I have had inflamed red cystic and hormonal acne which was constantly there. At the moment my skin is still far from perfect but I've noticed that instead of the 15+ new pimples a week I used to get, I only have a couple and when new ones do form it's usually just a small white head that is gone in 1-2 days. Also, the terrible scarring on my cheeks has healed up so much I can't believe it and I think that the only thing I can contribute that to is the 15mg chelated zinc tablets I've been taking once a day. This stuff is amazing and I'm so glad that it's natural. I'll be sticking with this and hopefully it continues with these great results!

Meh...
Reviewed on December 3, 2015

From the reviews I can see that Zinc helps guys way more than it helps girls. Zinc made a very small difference for me, but not a big enough one to waste money on it. Vitex helped far more (this is only for women and it is more for adult acne.) It looks like Zinc is good if you're a guy, but if you're a woman, I would probably skip it. There are better natural treatments out there. I would recommend this to a guy, but not to a girl.

Zinc after ejaculating
Reviewed on December 1, 2015

Every time I ejaculate I would get acne around my chin 3-4 days later. If I don't masturbate for 5 days straight my skin is usually clear. Semen contains 5mg of zinc so you lose that amount per ejaculation. Zinc helps in the metabolism of testosterone and inhibiting alpha-5 reductase. Both of which may trigger hormonal acne in men.

I tried zinc picolinate and opti-zinc without success in the past, so I dismissed zinc as a possible solution. Then only a couple of weeks ago I tried a high strength zinc that contains 228mg of Zinc Gluconate which is equivalent to 30mg of elemental zinc per tablet. The key here is the amount of elemental zinc you are taking. The zinc and acne study they did put the subjects on 100mg of elemental zinc per day. But make sure you take a copper supplement as zinc blocks the absorption of copper in the body. The right ratio is 15:1 (ie. 15 parts of zinc to 1 part copper). The human body can not store zinc so you need a constant supply of zinc preferably through food. Too much zinc can become toxic to the body. The only major side-effect I experienced are constant nightmares.

Anyways, if you get acne after masturbating try finding a zinc supplement that your body can assimilate to. Make sure it contains the right amount of elemental zinc for it to be effective.

by Ampears95 on 12/05/2015 21:06
So how many pills of zinc do you take at the moment? are you getting 100mg of element zinc a day? thanks
by ajaus on 12/21/2015 02:05
Nobody gets acne due to masturbating. There are plenty of factors to consider for you, but that isn't one of them unless you are stressing yourself out about something harmless, in which case, it's the stress, not the act. Stroke away.
Best solution for me
Reviewed on September 7, 2015

I read this website before taking zinc & I am so glad I did. I am twenty years old, have combination skin & have hormonal acne on my jawline (androgen caused). I started getting mild acne (small, unpoppable bumps, some whiteheads, and a TON of blackheads) at around 12 years old. My acne used to be in my forehead and nose; then it moved to my temples when I was about 14-15. My doctor put me on the pill (alesse) and prescribed me some benzoyl peroxide, but I still struggled with mild acne until I was about 17. At that time, I moved to Japan and I couldn't take the pill anymore. When I came off my skin became horrific; I remember it being at its worst when my entire face was covered in bumps. I had cysts covering my jawline, I had blackheads all over my nose, forehead and (surprisingly) cheeks. At that moment onward I stopped using any facial product and just let my skin heal itself. Within a few months, my skin healed completely & was as its all-time best. Unfortunately, I had to come back to Canada when I was about 18 and a half, and my acne came back gradually. Before trying zinc, I tried pretty much everything: Clarisonic, expensive skincare products, benzoyl peroxide, natural skin remedies (topical), etc. but nothing worked for me. Because I noticed a dramatic change as soon as I came back to Canada, I decided to change up my diet to something more like what I used to eat back in Japan. No dairy, lots of fish, little to no eggs, and lots of vegetables. I also stopped eating meat and drink LOTS of water daily. So a few months ago, I started taking 50mg of Zinc every morning. After 3 weeks, my skin had cleared up beautifully, but I still broke out around my jaw when my period came. I kept taking zinc and my skin became better and better, but never perfect (& we are all aiming for perfect, so this is where I messed up). So after about 6 weeks of zinc, I decided to add Evening Primrose Oil to my diet. This natural oil is also supposed to be good for androgen excess acne, so I took it morning and night as well as zinc. Within a week my skin started looking gross. It was oily and my jawline was bumbity dumpty. I took EPO for about 2 or 3 weeks before giving up on it. At this point, my skin was simply ugh. I had ruined something great; my forehead was really bumpy with unpoppable red zits, my chin and jaw went haywire, even my temples had some acne, and my cheeks and cheekbones had blackheads on them. So obviously I stopped taking EPO, but the zinc wasn't able to put my skin back. Ok so here comes the weird part. I had a nose job about 3 weeks ago so I had to stop taking supplements for a week. I also couldn't put anything topically to my skin during my 1-week of convalescence. My skin cleared up pretty good on it's own during that week! Since then I started taking zinc 25mg in the morning and 25mg at night (with meals!!!) It's been 3 weeks since I started re-taking zinc and my skin is back to its all-time best. This morning I woke up with only scars on my jawline and some blackheads on my chin, but very minimal. My forehead is for the most part smooth. I look the best I've ever looked in my life. I'll keep taking zinc twice a day from now on, and I strongly recommend it to anyone with hormonal acne. & also, DON'T TAKE EVENING PRIMROSE OIL!! if your skin story is similar to mine!

by dayme on 02/12/2016 15:46
2016 UPDATE!!!!!!**** My skin is flawless. Zinc totally cleared up my skin and now I'm exfoliating weekly to empty out my pores which still have some leftover gunk in them. I haven't popped a zit in months; I don't remember what it's like to have acne. BUT I've noticed a new issue. After taking Zinc for a good 5 or so months, yes my skin is flawless but the past two weeks I have been shedding, and I mean SHEDDING TONS AND TONS of hair. My hair is thinning to one side of my head and I was confused as to what could be causing it. I am triracial with black, native american and white blood. Thinning hair basically doesn't exist in my family so I was really concerned. Then it dawned on me that an excess of Zinc was probably the cause of this sudden hair loss. I've been taking it for too long and my body is asking for a break. As of today, February 12 I will be getting off zinc, so eventually I will pop back on here to comment once again on my skin journey!
good results so far!
Reviewed on August 28, 2015

Just a little back history....I have been dealing with acne for the past 15 years. I'm now 30 years. Over the years, the severity of my acne has gone in waves, but was manageable for the most part. In February of this year I switched from the pill to the mirena IUD. The first couple of months my skin was ok....by ok I mean it would break out by but wasn't horrible. By the third month, my skin went haywire!!! Everyday I would wake up to 3-4 huge cystic pimples on my jawline and chin. My skin has NEVER been like that. I tried proactiv...didn't work. I tried 10% benzoyl peroxide...didn't work. So finally I broke down and went to the dermatologist. I was prescribed 80mg of Solodyn once a day along with Aczone twice a day. I was on Solodyn for all off 2,weeks when I had serious allergic reaction which caused my joints to hurt, extreme rash all over by body and swollen hands. Needless to say, I stopped taking it. As soon as I stopped the antibiotics my acne kicked back in full gear. So me not wanting to go back on antibiotics, I started doing some research on natural ways to help prevent acne. I came across Zinc for Acne. I was a little skeptical but it was cheap so what the heck. The first week I didn't notice anything. By the middle of the second I no longer had breakouts. I'm now into my 3rd and still no new breakouts. I've been using the Bragg's ACV as toner to lighten the scars. I also use the Aztec healing clay mask once a week to exfoliate. So far I'm liking the results of the zinc. I would definitely give it a try if you feel like you have tried everything under the sun or even if you are skeptical of long term use of antibiotics. I will post and update in a month or so.

Saw improvement taking zinc for my sebderm
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

I like taking zinc tablets for my seborrheic dermatitis. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Many of the shampoos also contain zinc and they work for treating sebderm. I think the most important thing zinc does is to reduce inflammation of the skin cells. I know I don't get enough zinc in my food on a daily basis so I supplement with a vitamin pill.

After a week of an initial breakout period this works wonders!
Reviewed on May 17, 2015

I wrote a previous review for this product on Amazon but I think the sellers hid it because I gave it one star and claimed it made me break out immeditely. It is true that this product made me break out but it was only the first inital week I took it and the only reason I am posting this is because I could find little information on initial breakouts with zinc. After a week my skin cleared up and I have not had a break out since. I have mild acne associated with hormones so in my opinion, depending on the person, this works for people who do not have cystic acne as well. I only take one a day (with a meal) because the doses are already over the daily reccomendations but try this out for at least a week or two and see what happens!