Page 2 of Zinc reviews

4.2/5 - 417 reviews

Zinc

Great immune boost. However, no difference in my skin.
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I have been taking this supplement off and on for years because it really boosts my immune system. I have gone through periods of not taking it because I run out or I get out of the habit. I haven't noticed difference on the clarity of my skin. Supplements that have noticeably helped clear my skin: cinnamon, and NAC.

Can't hurt
Reviewed on April 25, 2014

I've read enough studies now that I am pretty convinced that supplementing with 30mg of zinc per day will help keep my skin clearer. It's an inexpensive and easy way to get a little extra insurance against breakouts and inflammation in the body.

I'm giving it 4 stars because studies show it helps about 40% with acne symptoms. Placebo helps around 30%, so it's not a magic pill, just a nice little adjunct.

give it time
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

Okay sooo I don't normally write on acne boards but after giving zinc a shot, I knew I had to. I really hope this helps someone.

I have been dealing with hormonal acne for about 2 years. (I am 25). I have tries everything under the sun. Birth control which was a nightmare!!! Birth control made me severely depressed and was so not worth it. I tried every topical known to man. This includes at home remedies, otc and perscription. Finally I took my health into my own hands. I did some research and learned that ANYTHING skin related comes from the inside out. Therefor you need to treat it as such.

Another thing I learned was that hormones are sent through the liver and if your liver is either unhealthy or not able to handle the excess hormones, these hormones are sent into the blood stream and create issues such as acne!!!!

Sooooo I decided to clean my liver. Nothing too crazy. I started taking milk thistle supplements right before I went to bed. Milk thistle is all natural and helpa detox the liver allowing it to function better.*able to handle the excess hormones better*. After 2 weeks I noticed a nice difference.

**just a heads up, dont take milk thislte for longer than 2 weeks at a time**

At this point my hormonal acne hadn't cleared up completely so I knew I needes something else.

After doing more research, I came across zinc. Zinc helps regulate the excess hormones that cause hormonal acne. Most people who suffer from hormonal acne have a zinc deficiency. I started taking zinc (50 mg zinc gluconate) once a day WITH FOOD!! *** I made the tragic mistake one day of taking it on an empty stomach. Wound up vommiting.***

So its been a month since I started taking the zinc and I have noticed a dramatic difference. I used to have breakouts in my chin, jawline and bad clusters on my neck. The clusters on my neck and jaw have completely dried up. (Now just dealing with scarring). I have an occasional pre cystic/horminal bump on my upper cheek but It goes away in a couple of days.

I also want to add that I took myself off the birth control pill the day before I started zinc. Which as most women know, when coming off of BCP the break out is the WORST!!!

Now there are different types of zinc. zinc gluconate is what I found in all of the drug stores,50-100 mg of zinc gluconate seems to be best. Some other forms of zinc are known to be more potent. I haven't tried them but if you do some research, youll see what I mean.

**the first 2 weeks I started with 50 then bumped it up to 100 and 100mg of the zinc gluconate has sped up the process. My skin is much clearer***

So in summary... if you have been suffering give zinc a shot. It has helped and will take me some time but I am telling you to please give this a shot!!! Also, try cleaning up your liver with milk thistle and take a multivitamin.

I really hope this helps!!!! Good luck!!

by steve2342355 on 05/17/2014 05:43
you're pretty sexy
It does help if you know how to use it.
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

Zinc works for most people. Take it a couple of hours before you take Magnesium supplements. Try to space it out since minerals fight for absorption. Don't take Calcium supplements on the days you take Zinc/Mg supplements. Also, women with PCOS are generally deficient in Mg. Most of the people who I know used both Zinc and Mg to fight acne.

Other supplements according to your needs helps as well.

The mineral that worked for me the most is Zinc. Try to build a proper supplemental regime. Same regimen doesn't work for everyone.

LEARN TO CUSTOMIZE.

Zinc changes everything. Think twice before going vegan.
Reviewed on April 19, 2014

I've always been acne prone but as I entered my late teens, my acne was becoming less of a problem. Occaisonal breakouts and blackheads, but definitely manageable. At the end of last summer when I turned 20, I decided to switch to a vegan diet to clean out my system. I expected to see clearer skin, as I was eating tons of fresh fruit and veggies. But my mild acne was progressively getting worse and I had no idea what was going on. This february with the start of a new semester and about 6 months on a vegan diet, my acne flaring up like never before. My pimples were hard, red, and painful and left horrible spots that took forever to fade. I was breaking out on areas of my face that never used to break out and I was at my wits end. I've never felt so ugly in my life. After boughts of the flu and respiratory infections, I knew something was just not right with my body and after a binge of googling my symptoms in hopes of finding an answer, the only explanation that made an sense was a zinc deficiency. Zinc plays a huge role in delivering Vitamin A to the skin, which is vital for wound healing and cell turnover. It's also needed for thyroid function and can affect testosterone. Zinc deficiency diminishes the imune system, which would explain my illnesses. I started taking 200mg of zinc gluconate (~60mg of elemental zinc) for about a week and then switched to 100mg after that. Within the first 3 days of I noticed that my complexion was overall brighter and the redness from old marks was subsiding. My face was not as oily and active pimples were less inflamed. It has been about 3 weeks since beginning zinc supplementation and My skin is almost back to normal. I also started eating eggs and fish again. In no way is my acne cured, but it is now controlled and I finally have my face back. I definitely recommend trying zinc and looking into vitamin deficiencies. Think twice before making major changes in your diet and make sure you are mindful of getting all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Didn't work for me but definitely worth a shot
Reviewed on April 6, 2014

I have been taking Jamieson 50mg Zinc for about 2 weeks now and I have seen no improvement or worsening of acne. This could have been due to my diet prior to taking this supplement was already high in zinc and I was never deficient to start. A bottle of 100 tablets is only about $10 so it's definitely worth a shot. even as a source of hope I'd say it's worth it.

Tried literally everything before this
Reviewed on March 25, 2014

I had average acne through my teenage years but developed annoying cystic acne around 18 or 19 and have been battling with it until now (I'm 21). I would get clusters of painful lumps that would take months to go away and usually a new one every other day or so. I'm a picker, unfortunately, so I would pick at them until they would pop, leaving red marks all over my face. I began doing research about 1 1/2 years ago when I decided that topical treatment and taking good care of my face was not working like it did for other people. At first I tried taking fish oil and vitamin E- didn't help. Then I tried eliminating gluten- didn't help. Then I tried eliminating dairy- sped up the healing process for a couple "active" cysts, but after that it didn't help. At one point I was completely gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, and taking licorice root to heal my gut (all of this from reading things on the internet about what helped other people). FINALLY, I came across zinc deficiency. I read that taking zinc pills had helped other people with cystic acne, as well as taking pantothenic acid. I have only been taking those two pills (in addition to a multi, fish oil, licorice root, and vit E) and my face has CLEARED in a week. I still have the scars of course, but they are healing nicely. I have not had any new cysts since I started taking these pills! I'm still a little bit in the doubting state, but looks don't lie! I can't remember the last time my face was this clear!

Bottom line, if you've tried everything that has worked for other people with cystic acne and you're still not seeing results, you most likely have a zinc deficiency. Other symptoms I had for this were hangnails and white marks on my nails, but there are other symptoms.

*I take Now brand 500mg Pantothenic acid and Nature's Life brand 30mg zinc picolinate + 2mg copper in addition to taking good care of my face (exfoliating scrub, ACV toner, and coconut oil).

Oh, by the way, the reason I figured out elimination dieting didn't work and zinc pills did was because this past week I have eaten HORRIBLY (sugar, frozen dinners, lots of wheat, lots of dairy, and more sugar) while taking the pills and not only did my face not break out, but it was actually healing while eating all that.

disappointed
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

i started taking zinc (25 mg chelated,once daily) because i saw positive results from ppl, but after using it for 1 month i havent seen any improvments on my acne. i'll try for few more months ,can't lose anything..

Not As Good As I Thought It Would Be
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

My sons started taking 50 mg Zinc due to the good reviews. At first it seemed to help with redness in their skin and seemed to diminish red marks. However, over time they were getting more new pimples, both inflamed and under-skin bumps. So not only was the zinc not helping but it seemed to be worsening their acne. I think zinc actually increases testosterone so if you are a teenage male it probably won't work for you. My sons stopped taking it after a month.

Uncertain
Reviewed on June 2, 2010

I was taking this while changing too many other things around; hard to tell whether certain effects were due to the zinc or not.