Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel reviews

3.5/5 - 429 reviews

Brand: Ziana

Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%).

Purified water USP, glycerin USP, carbomer 981 NF, methylparaben NF, polysorbate 80 NF, edetate disodium USP, citric acid USP, propylparaben NF, butylated hydroxytoluene NF, and tromethamine USP.

Clears skin but makes it SO OILY
Reviewed on October 28, 2016

I'm a 20 y/o female with mild acne and very occasional cysts only on left cheek. I started using Ziana after Epiduo was way too drying for me. I've been using it for about a month and a half. Ziana is not drying at all, and has definitely helped with some minor spots, but I noticed that throughout the day my skin gets RIDICULOUSLY GREASY. Like unbelievably shiny...makeup looks terrible. I use Ziana before bed, wake up and my face isn't oily at all, but throughout the day it becomes so oily. One of those oil blotting sheets from Clean & Clear is literally transparent after I wipe my face with it. So I've decided to stop using Ziana and instead try Drunk Elephant AHA serum!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Reviewed on September 10, 2016

great product! Before trying this I used so many over the counter products, but this left me super clear, I had moderate to severe acne, today I get compliments on my skin almost daily! Try it and it may cause more breakouts in the beginning but its definitely worth the wait. I never write reviews but if this can inspire someone to continue finding a solution to their acne It would leave me feeling more than great. I used to cry daily about it and understand how self torturing it can be. Besides using this product, I also wanted to say I do not eat red meat and try to stay on a strict diet, with no dairy, and gluten free foods. I do eat chicken, fish, etc. I believe this has also impacted my skin greatly. There's hope trust me I know it's annoying but with persistence anything is possible!

I think it's working!
Reviewed on August 24, 2015

My acne is mostly under control with yaz but around my mouth still breaks out sometimes with painful cysts. So I am trying ziana. The first week I used it every day and even with lotion my face was soooo dry and I had three super painful cysts develop. I think I overdid it big time so I took a break and just applied lotion for a few days to let my skin rehydrate and now I'm going to try using it just twice a week and work my way up ( I read about other people having very good results with this). Luckily my cysts are mostly healed and the rest of my skin is looking really hydrated/fresh. I have clogged pores all around my mouth and I think the ziana is starting to unclog them .. In a couple spots the clog has come to the surface and basically falls out when I wash. The cysts may have just been purging some deeper stuff but I hope it's over now! Good luck everyone!

P.S. I wash my face in the shower with head and shoulders shampoo, let my face dry, apply ziana, then apply lotion once the ziana dries. I was waiting longer in between the ziana and lotion but then I got so peely that I couldn't stand it. The lotion doesn't seem to alter the effects of ziana as far as treating pimples so for me it is better to just apply the lotion immediately after.

UPDATE: I wash my face with neutrogena body wash (salacylic acid 2%) at night to get my makeup off, wait for my face to dry and then apply ziana every other night. On the nights i don't apply ziana i wash my face with neutrogena body wash, then apply cerave SA lotion and go to bed. In the morniing i just rinse with water. Face has been great so far. Keep up the good fight! (also i am on mononessa birth control, gerneric of ortho cyclen but that has never gotten me this clear)

A little too irritating for me.
Reviewed on April 30, 2016

Decided to give it a shot after my derm wanted to switch me from clindamycin phosphate.Turns out the skin peeling is little too much for me.However dries up the worst of zits pretty quickly.

Think I'm getting there...
Reviewed on January 31, 2016

Okey, so I've only been on Ziana for about 2 weeks, and I kind of feel that my skin is getting better. My skin had a terrible breakout out of nowhere for a little more than one month ago, and it made me extremely frustrated as I've never ever struggled with acne or pimples before. I also take Tetralysal 300 mg (oral antibiotics) twice a day, and I've been taking them for 4 weeks now, but I feel as if Ziana is doing the job here. My main problem is clogged pores and whiteheads, I rarely get big pimples or cystic ones, only tiny red grossers and skin colored bumps. Mainly on my forehead, chin and hairline. I've noticed that Ziana makes my acne a little more red than usual, also my scars have this constant redness. Hopefully, my acne will reduce more the upcoming weeks, can't wait to see the results! Really got my hopes up for this nice little cream. Oh, and yes, it does make your skin very oily! But I can deal with that, as long as my acne says bye bye

UPDATE: my oh my this is really hard, I've been experiencing an initial breakout since I started using this cream, and it's non-stop. I wake up every morning with 3-4 new tiny pimples ready to be poped, and my scarring is really red. Like REALLY. My face is more red than skin colored. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME!!!!:( all i want is clear skin like i've always had..... I haven't been out with my friends on a saturday since new years eve because make up makes it look much worse.... I miss my life!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone tell me that this will end sometime soon?! I've been on this cream for around 3 weeks now......

by Britt02 on 03/09/2016 03:17
Has it gotten any better? I've been on it for about 4-5 weeks and my face is worse. It's red and burning, and my makeup also doesn't look good..
by Britt02 on 03/09/2016 03:17
No real help...
Reviewed on July 24, 2015

I am 33 years old and just had an onset of adult cystic acne about 2 years ago. I have been using this topical medication for approx. 3 months and I have seen no change in my skin. I did like that I was not affected with harsh red, itchy skin like some other medications have done to me. This gel, however, does make my skin incredibly oily in the morning even though I use the recommended pea size amount. My doctor has decided the only thing that will help is a prescription for isotretinoin so this Ziana med just wasn't strong enough for me.

didn't do anything
Reviewed on May 25, 2015

nothing changed, it just made my hair stick to my face.

Finally makeup free!
Reviewed on May 20, 2015

I am 25 years old and have always had acne. At age 12 I started proactive and that was able to keep my acne to a minimum but still I was never completely clear. My acne was never horrible, but I always had 1-3 active zits along my chin/ jawline (sometimes cystic) and a few on my temples and forehead.

After I got new insurance that didn't require a refer to go to a derm I finally decided to see one. He prescribed me Aczone in the am and Ziana in the pm. I was very cautious at first--I started using a gentle cleanser and bought cereve pm moisturizer since I had read reviews that my skin would get extremely dry.

The first couple nights my skin got a bit red and itchy from Ziana but after night 3 that totally stopped. I also didn't find that it made my skin sticky or oily at ALL. However the cerave pm moisturizer DID, so after about 2 weeks I discontinued use of that and did not need a night moisturizer.

There was a purging stage---weeks 2-4 I saw an increase in active acne in my hot spots (chin and jawline) with 2 cystic zits. But even though I had about 4-5 active zits, they would disappear quickly before others would pop up. Of course any purge is going to suck but i promise if you stick to it you will be so happy. It took about a month for everything to totally clear up, and now I am 2 months in and my face has been PERFECT. I have not seen even one zit for an entire month. My face is so clear that I don't need any makeup at all. My hyper pigmentation from past acne is slowly fading but that will require a bit more time. I am so happy with the results of these 2 products!

Also, just FYI I do not have sensitive skin so all of that redness/dryness/pealing/ sun sensitivity did not happen to me at all. If anything my skin is actually perfectly hydrated since the proactive was drying out certain spots, now those are gone!

Finally:]
Reviewed on April 29, 2015

I am 22 years old and have been dealing with pretty much every kind of acne for years. I have tried everything you can buy in the store and nothing really worked (I read that a lot of drugstore acne products put stuff in that makes you break out so you keep buying their products). When my face is broken out, I don't want to leave the house and I am constantly thinking about my skin to where I feel absolutely depressed about it. So I saw a dermatologist and he put me on clindamycin (probably not great spelling) lotion in the day, adapalene cream at night, and doxycyline for a month to help with the initial breakouts they sometimes cause. It worked fantastic for me for like a year and a half and then my skin randomly started breaking out again really bad. I went back to see my dermatologist and he put me on a bunch of stuff that didn't work and I was dealing with even worse skin for a long time without solution. He finally put me on ziana a month ago for the nighttime, onexton for the day, and ampicillin tablets. Since I was trying to avoid accutane (which was my next option), he also recommended that I change my birth control to one that helps acne so I switched to yaz immediately. The first week was pretty bad because the onexton hurt (it burned, itched, made my face red) and the ziana made my face flakey and dry when I woke up in the morning. My doctor told me that these products can take up to 4 months to be effective and that they oftentimes make your skin a lot worse before it can get better (it has to bring up all the acne and bacteria up to the surface to get rid of it which takes time). I broke out pretty badly the first week and the beginning of the second, on top of that my face was flakey so I couldn't really wear makeup and I was just bummed (even though I knew that's how some of these treatments work and it's probably a sign that it's working). I've had a few side effects that were not unbearable and also went away as my body and skin got used to the medications. I was expecting that I would have to deal with it for months. Honestly, with the exception of accutane, I have been on every pill and and cream there is. By the end of week two and miraculously it was crystal clear. I never thought i would ever be someone to not wear makeup, and I have been (even on dates! That is how clear it is). It's still a little dry, but I started using a really gentle moisturizer (4 dollar ponds) with both the ziana & onexton and also using a lot less of the product. When I first got the onexton, I put a lot on because I wanted to make sure it "really worked" and that was such a mistake because it was VERY painful. I have been using a pea sized amount with moisturizer of both and it works better that way. When I was having my initial breakout, I would desperately read these reviews to have hope and I made a pact with god that if my acne clears up, I will share my experience to help others who are going through the horrible issues acne causes. My advice: don't use too much, don't exfoliate (ziana is an exfoliant and that's why there is flakey skin at first. It also makes your skin super thin so you can't pick and have to be very gentle), be careful in the sun, avoid any other harsh products, and hang in there! You might have an initial breakout, you might not. Either way, it depends on the person when your skin clears up and if you give up before 4 months, you could miss out on a chance to see the progress, my breakout was so bad that I wanted to stop and I read these encouraging posts and figured that I was going to have acne either way (if I was off the medicine or if I was on it) so I might as well suffer through breakouts while I'm treating it and it's worked for me. If you give up before a few months, you haven't even let the medicine do it's job yet and there isn't a single acne perscription that says if can get rid of your acne before 4 months (otherwise I would have tried it). Don't believe me? Ask your doctor. Don't give up, bug your doctor and ask a million questions. As soon as one didn't work, I got another, and kept going until I got something that works for me. I hope everyone finds what they're looking for and hangs in there :]

Doesn't do a thing for me
Reviewed on March 21, 2015

18 Female, have had acne all my life but it was always a few zits, nothing too bad. In the past few months I broke out a lot due to stress.

Ok so my dermatologist prescribed this to me and advised me to use it before going to bed. It's been a month since I have been using it and honestly it hasn't done anything good for me. But overall Ziana just gets sticky and annoying to sleep with, and I have to wash my pillow case very often because of this. Ziana also makes your skin extremely oily, if you wear makeup you can't use this product because your face will be so shiny. Makes me feel gross!

In the 2nd week I broke out A LOT, and I had to go back to one of my old regime's of salicylic acid 2% for a few days and I got cleared up (My skin is too dry for constant salicylic acid).

I am going to ask my dermatologist to give me something else because this product is just a very water based gel that is not strong enough for me.