Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

Recommended by 75% of visitors

Average price: $45.66

Most helpful review

By sierra, usa on 01/21/2013

I have had acne for about five years. My acne started to get really bad (hurt to touch anywhere on my face)about a year ago, so I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed this. It got better immediately. Now, a year later my skin keeps getting clearer and clearer every month!.

Pros:
  • cleared up my acne extremely well
Cons:
  • costly if you do not have insurance
  • makes skin sensitive
  • can be sticky if you do not mix it with a moisturizer when you put it on

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful

Clindamycin Phosphate, Tretinoin.

Purified water USP, glycerin USP, carbomer 981 NF, methylparaben NF, polysorbate 80 NF, edetate disodium USP, citric acid USP, propylparaben NF, butylated hydroxytoluene NF, and tromethamine USP.

Member reviews

“Anyone Suffering Should Try This”
By on

First of all, for those uninterested in reading further, I'll say Ziana works wonders for those who need drastic help!! I am one of those "I've used EVERYTHING and nothing has helped" people, and this does the trick! :)

I am a 27 year old female. Dealt with acne since 6th grade. 6th-8th grade - mild. 8th grade-now - severe. Pin-pointing major breakout times was useless. Tried several topical creams/ointments. None did the trick until Ziana. User of product since December 3, 2013.

Dermotologists prescribed:

Differin Gel- made my mild acne get out of control. Painful pimples led to scarring.

Pro-Activ- Please stay away from this product unless you don't want your acne to heal. If you have sensitive skin, which most acne prone people have, Benzoyl Peroxide can agitate your skin causing burning, itching, peeling, swelling, and redness while discoloring your pillow case and clothes. I have bleach spots on the collar of the shirts I'd wear to bed while using this. This product will hurt your skin rather than heal it. My current dermatologist said it is one of the worst popular products out there. The celebrity endorsements frustrate me!

At 19-20, my current dermatologist figured out the main problem; hormones. Oral medications have helped balance and I noticed a major difference when I didn't take them for a few years. Consistently since I was 20, I've taken birth control and used Neutrogena® Oil-Free Acne Stress Control® face wash and spot treatment. My skin would go from manageable, annoying pimples and uneven skin tone to painful, long lasting breakouts, and back to manageable pimples. A few months ago, my skin was at its worst. I visited my dermatologist again. She prescribed me Spironolactone (previously prescribed and used) and Ampicillin which help heal from inside out and Ziana for topical.

I honestly noticed after the first night of using Ziana, my skin was calming down. Pimples that came up the start day were almost gone the following morning. I would say after a few weeks, my skin had changed dramatically and since the first use, I have had maybe 2 or 3 pimples in almost 4 months! Also, the old scars I've had for over 12 years are fading and my skin tone is now even. No longer do I have blotchy, bumpy skin and makeup caked white heads that surfaced and bled at any moment!

Advice: follow the instructions. Less is more! Only use this at night don't go overboard, or it WILL dry out your skin.

Every night I wash my face, use a very light layer of Ziana, and use twice daily moisturizer. The best part, I didn't have to change my face wash and spend extra money, and I save money in the future by applying less make-up each day. For the first time since high school, I feel good when I'm not wearing make-up! In no way am I make-up free, but women who have had acne problems understand the feeling when you can finally, confidently walk outside without any on.

Pros

• Clears acne quickly
  • Fades scars and evens skin tone
  • Prevents future breakouts

Cons

• Dries skin if too much is used
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“1 month on Ziana”
By on

Background info: I'm a 25yr old male, combination skin and have dealt with acne since I was a teenager. Recently, I had a very bad flare up and went to a dermatologist who prescribed Ziana at night and Acanya as a spot treatment. I have been on Ziana for over 1 month now and so far it has been a positive experience. 3 weeks of purging and then it starts to clear. However, even though it's clearing I am still getting zits in bad areas. It's much better than it was though. Try not to pop any pimples while on this. It takes awhile for the pigmentation to fade. Use a good moisturizer after you apply the ziana at night.

Overall, I'd recommend this and will update after 6 weeks.

Pros

• Spreads easily
  • Not irritating
  • Fades hyper pigmentation

Cons

• Skin purging
  • Drying
  • for about a month
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Ziana helps 10% of the time”
By on

After trying every over the counter topical and a variety of topical's prescribed by my dermatologist, they decided to put me on ziana. I have light to moderate acne and it is very hormonal. The ziana helps maybe a little, but not very much. I get chemical peels. Laser treatments, I use the Emergency spot treatment, I'm on an oral antibiotic and yet I still continue to have breakouts. I have exhausted all my options and have decided to try birth control(mircette). I feel like out of all the things I do to help my breakouts the ziana only helps 10%.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• It's expensive if you don't have insurance
  • It doesn't really help to clear my hormonal breakouts
  • for more than a year
  • $ 50
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Ziana thumbs down.”
By on

I was breaking out a little bit while on Differin so the dermatologist recommended I try out Ziana. What a bad idea! Three weeks non stop of breakouts! And Ziana breakouts leave reddish/brown spots on the skin. After 3 weeks of suffering, I gave up. Now I'm back on Differin and my skin is slowly clearing up. What a nightmare. Also - Ziana made my skin oily and when I wore makeup it would 'sit' on top of my skin. I would not recommend.

Pros

• None.

Cons

• Made my skin way worse
  • Made my skin oily
  • Makeup didn't look right anymore
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Good overall product, few negative side effects”
By on

I have moderate acne and use this project twice or three times a week at night.

Pros

• Gets rid of small white heads
  • makes skin texture smoother

Cons

• Can be expensive without good insurance
  • Makes skin sensitive to sun
  • Can make skin peel
  • for more than a year
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Great stuff!”
By on

After stopping birth control, I developed acne unlike any I had ever had in my life (including my teenage years when I had mild acne - I am currently 37 years old). I knew that my hormones would take a while to get back to normal but after two months of dealing with a completely acne covered face (bumps all over as well as a few cysts), I went to the dermatologist who prescribed this. I have somewhat sensitive skin and had used Retin-A in the past (teen years). It had dried out my skin and made my acne much worse before it got better, so I was skeptical. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face. In the interest of full disclosure, I also use PCA Skin acne gel in the morning after I wash. Additionally, I use a light moisturizer in the morning after the acne gel dries. (FYI - My doctor had suggested I start out using this every other night, but I didn't need the adjustment time as my skin was SO oily and I did not fear it getting too dry.) This drug has worked wonders for me. After 5 weeks, my skin is 99% clear (a few very minor bumps - pretty normal for me on or off birth control), and it looks better than it has in years. My doctor had said that my skin could get worse around the 4-6 week mark, but I have experienced an overall general improvement as the weeks go by. The box insert said a worsening of the acne around 2-4 weeks, and I didn't see a major improvement until about 4 weeks, although I didn't think the medicine ever made my skin worse at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone with acne for whom Retin-A, alone, is too drying. The added benefit at 37 years old is that I might see some improvement in skin tone and prevention of wrinkles:)

Pros

• Inexpensive - $35 for a large tube with the manufacturer's coupon (lasts much longer than one month)
  • No long term side effects (no short term for me either)
  • Easy to apply and use

Cons

• Oily feeling on skin in the morning after having used at night (easily remedied by washing)
  • Could make skin worse before it makes it better (I did not experience this but was warned)
  • Occasional tightness/dryness (nothing that is not remedied by a little moisturizer)
  • for a few months
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Amazing”
By on

I suffered from acne for 2 years and it's been a pain in the butt. I tried everything and when I say everything, I mean almost everything. I tried retin-a micro 0.25% and 0.4%, epiduo, solodyn, acanya, aczone, minocylcine and finally ziana. I was really afraid to try ziana because I read about how it had really bad purging and I was afraid. However, I decided to give it a try since I was losing hope. I saw a difference in 1 day. It was amazing. I put it on at night and woke up with less bumps on my temples. I had no purging whatsoever and it's only been little over a week and it has done amazing to my skin. The pimples are slowly clearing up and I'm hoping it can fade my acne scars. All I have to say is, give it a try. I love ziana and I feel confident again (:

Pros

• Starting working in 1 overnight use
  • Slowly clearing up the bumps

Cons

• Super oily face when I wake up
  • for about a week
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“My experience this far... Long read”
By on

First, I want to share my background.

I have never had a problem with acne. I have always had very smooth clear skin, with an occasional outbreak. I started washing with proactive in 2006 when I was 18 for prevention of those minor outbreaks (I don't recommend this because it destroys your skins natural barrier). Two years ago, in 2011, I started getting a cystic pimple every couple months, that I would handle by getting a cortisone injection. Not a big problem. Then Last year, in May 2012, I got my mirena birth control removed.

I had an AWFUL outbreak. Huge pimples that wouldn't go away. One swelled up after it popped when I washed my face.. it was half the size of my forhead. I had cystic pimples, surface pimples, and clogged pores. My dermatologist put me on Doxy, spirolactone, and retin-A. After a few months, and a couple deep cleansing facials, my skin was clear... but I still had scars. In August, I decided to stop using Retin-A because my skin was still red. I started using Pro-Active again, and continued taking Doxy and Spiro. My scars went away in less then a month, and I had completely clear beautiful skin for about 6 months.

In February, 2013, my skin started looking red and a little oily. By April, I started getting minor clogged pores that would go away fairly quickly, and I started getting cystic pimples every once in a while.

I decided to stop washing with Pro-Active In june because I found out that it can cause oily skin. I also stopped taking doxy because it wasn't preventing acne anymore. I started using Jojoba oil to cleanse, but this only lasted a month because it was cause tiny little white heads to surface all over my face. I started using Cerave to cleanse. It doesn't create acne on my face. I did have clogged pores on my chin and forehead from the Jojoba oil. They are skin colored tiny bumps. I had a similar reaction years ago. I've now learned that it just doesn't agree with me.

By August, I was getting more and more cystic pimples. Usually only one at a time, but when one would go away, another would appear. My dermatologist prescribed me Klarons. This did nothing for my skin. The cystic pimples kept coming and the clogged pores stayed where they were. I used it for over a month before I stopped.

In September I decided to risk using Proactive again. It did nothing. It didn't make it worse or better. My skin was still pink, still a little oily, still had the clogged pores, and I was still getting those dang cystic pimples.

This is when the Dermatologist prescribed me Ziana........

On September 25, 2013 I started using Ziana, and also had a bad cystic pimple injected.

First week: (9/25)

peeling.

Red face.

surface acne and scars start to go away.

No change to clogged pores.

Cystic on on left side of nose goes down but still under the surface.

Second week: (10/2)

less peeling.

Red face.

Scars fading very quickly.

No change to clogged pores.

Cystic on on left side of nose starts coming back... Two heads.

Cystic appears on right side of nose.

Third week: (10/9)

(Stopped spirolacton on 10/11)

New Small pimples show up but come to a head and go away quickly with in a couple days.

Oily skin.

Less peeling.

Old scars almost gone.

New scars fade quick.

Both cystic pimples still present but no pain.

One deep clogged pore is gone after popping it, but 8 remain.

Forth week: (10/16)

Tiny amount of peeling.

Oily skin.

Old scars almost gone.

New scars still fade quick.

Both cystic pimples still present, the one on right is forming a white head.

Deep clogged pores still there.

I'm getting the two cystics injected tomorrow and I will be back to update how this week goes.

I have my fingers crossed...

Pros

• scars fade
  • small surface pimples go away quick
  • cheap with insurance

Cons

• my face is red
  • peeling
  • Not sure if it is getting rid of clogged pores or not..
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“MY MIRACLE”

THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!!

my (short) story: my birth control broke me out in cystic acne all over my chin.. which if it wasn't a nightmare enough, the cysts got infected. my chin was scabbed, swollen, disgusting. I was so embarrassed i went home for the weekend to heal.

i was given the medication on friday.. it is now sunday and my SKIN LOOKS AMAZING!! it looks even better than it did before i got the cysts. my red marks are fading, my skin looks almost perfect and it's only been 3 days. i have only been using this stuff and i cant believe the effect that it's had.

this has done more for me than 3 microderms and 5 chemical peels have.

i was using way too much of it at first (applying it like 3x a day) and my skin is really dry and flaky now. WHATEVER! i'd so much rather have that then the marked up mess i was dealing with before. i'm only applying it at night now. i can't wait to keep on seeing the improvements

oh and i got no initial breakout!

Pros

• acne is gone
  • red marks are fading

Cons

• skin is peeling
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“3 months in - a miracle drug from week 1.”

>be 30 year old guy.

Struggled with cystic acne so much and for so long that I even went off the deep end and turned my diet upside down and took Vitamin A pills like some people in the forums.

Decided to break down and go to a new dermatologist though I was fearing she would give me the nuclear option: accutane.

To my surprise (she was attractive), and secondly she didn't recommend accutane at all. Instead she said my cystic acne should be helped by Ziana. She also told me to wipe the silly coconut oil off my face to eat like a normal human - though I choose to avoid diary wherever possible.

2 weeks into it I could feel and see a difference. My face felt softer. I feel like almost immediately upon using that the cystic acne didn't hurt as much but disappeared at their normal slow pace. Once gone, I didn't get another one. I used to get 1 per week - and sometimes as much as 4 at a time.

I would gladly pay $500 per tube of Ziana - luckily insurance prevents me paying more than $20.

I love this stuff and I would brush my teeth with if it wasn't frowned upon by the warnings inside the packaging.

Pros

• Small amount needed
  • Starts working within 1-3 weeks
  • Invisible, doesn't smell

Cons

• none
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.