Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel reviews

3.5/5 - 414 reviews

Clindamycin Phosphate, Tretinoin.

Purified water USP, glycerin USP, carbomer 981 NF, methylparaben NF, polysorbate 80 NF, edetate disodium USP, citric acid USP, propylparaben NF, butylated hydroxytoluene NF, and tromethamine USP.

give it time, and couple it with an oral treatment
Reviewed on November 23, 2014

This is not a miracle gel, but I don't really think any of them are if you really suffer from chronic or severe acne. I have had the worst time getting Tretinoin gels to work for me-- I am the first to say that I think they are more trouble than they are worth, and it's very hard to get past the "initial breakout", which is truly terrible. I found though that in this combination, the Clindamycin helped pimples heal faster and prevented them from getting yucky and more inflamed. I coupled Ziana with Spironolactone because I suffer from hormonal cysts, large pores, and oily skin. I started seeing results from this combination after about 6 weeks. I think that a lot of these gels need time, and they need to be paired with an oral treatment to be really effective. I don't really think there is one stop shopping with acne treatment.

Bad
Reviewed on September 16, 2014

3 week initial breakout. Made pores look huge. Worst part was the greasy look on skin. Could not get the shiny look to go away even after washing it. Didn't feel like it was working. Only positive was that it didn't dry out my skin like everything else. Going back to benzaclin. This is garbage.

Amazing!
Reviewed on June 19, 2014

When I was around 18 my skin became extremely sensitive and I got a lot of white heads and small pimples daily. It wasn't so bad but it was just all over my cheeks and easily coverable but I could never leave the house without makeup. I went through that for about two years and finally decided to go to the dermatologist. She prescribed me Ziana and I started using every other day before I went to bed for the first three weeks and then after that every night. The first month or so it calmed my existing white heads but I noticed a few new ones. It wasn't as bad as many others have experienced but I did get pimples (bigger ones than when I wasn't on the medication) but they would go away quickly. I also noticed they scarred darker than my acne in the past. I also noticed by face burned a bit when I washed it or when I went to the gym and sweat because the medication does make it sensitive for the first couple of months. I also did experience some minor flaking and peeling. I've now been using it for about 6 months and I've never seen my face so clear! It cleared up all the marks, and I haven't got any acne for the last month. The only annoying part is that around my chin it still flakes a bit (but that can be fixed easily with lotion) and my t-zone is a little oily (which was never the case before). But in my opinion those things can be fixed so easily and I love my skin now. I would definitely recommend this for anyone!! I have mild-medium acne and It definitely worked wonders for me.

Anyone Suffering Should Try This
Reviewed on March 28, 2014

First of all, for those uninterested in reading further, I'll say Ziana works wonders for those who need drastic help!! I am one of those "I've used EVERYTHING and nothing has helped" people, and this does the trick! :)

I am a 27 year old female. Dealt with acne since 6th grade. 6th-8th grade - mild. 8th grade-now - severe. Pin-pointing major breakout times was useless. Tried several topical creams/ointments. None did the trick until Ziana. User of product since December 3, 2013.

Dermotologists prescribed:

Differin Gel- made my mild acne get out of control. Painful pimples led to scarring.

Pro-Activ- Please stay away from this product unless you don't want your acne to heal. If you have sensitive skin, which most acne prone people have, Benzoyl Peroxide can agitate your skin causing burning, itching, peeling, swelling, and redness while discoloring your pillow case and clothes. I have bleach spots on the collar of the shirts I'd wear to bed while using this. This product will hurt your skin rather than heal it. My current dermatologist said it is one of the worst popular products out there. The celebrity endorsements frustrate me!

At 19-20, my current dermatologist figured out the main problem; hormones. Oral medications have helped balance and I noticed a major difference when I didn't take them for a few years. Consistently since I was 20, I've taken birth control and used Neutrogena® Oil-Free Acne Stress Control® face wash and spot treatment. My skin would go from manageable, annoying pimples and uneven skin tone to painful, long lasting breakouts, and back to manageable pimples. A few months ago, my skin was at its worst. I visited my dermatologist again. She prescribed me Spironolactone (previously prescribed and used) and Ampicillin which help heal from inside out and Ziana for topical.

I honestly noticed after the first night of using Ziana, my skin was calming down. Pimples that came up the start day were almost gone the following morning. I would say after a few weeks, my skin had changed dramatically and since the first use, I have had maybe 2 or 3 pimples in almost 4 months! Also, the old scars I've had for over 12 years are fading and my skin tone is now even. No longer do I have blotchy, bumpy skin and makeup caked white heads that surfaced and bled at any moment!

Advice: follow the instructions. Less is more! Only use this at night don't go overboard, or it WILL dry out your skin.

Every night I wash my face, use a very light layer of Ziana, and use twice daily moisturizer. The best part, I didn't have to change my face wash and spend extra money, and I save money in the future by applying less make-up each day. For the first time since high school, I feel good when I'm not wearing make-up! In no way am I make-up free, but women who have had acne problems understand the feeling when you can finally, confidently walk outside without any on.

by mille211 on 10/26/2014 17:36
Hello ! Thanks for the review! I still had acne on differin so my dermatologist switched me to Ziana. I haven't noticed any improvement after 6 weeks. Did it take awhile before you were acne free? You mentioned you noticed a difference the first night. Did it keep getting better or did you breakout the first few weeks on Ziana?
by happywithskinnow on 11/19/2014 19:00
Hi! I noticed after the first night that my existing acne was calming down and healing rather than worsening. I had maybe 2 or 3 blemishes that would pop up randomly, but they were smaller and would go away after a day. Nothing uncontrollable. I'd say after a month or so is when I realized my face was acne free. It actually shocked me because it was an after thought rather than something I was having to worry about daily. So yes, a couple pimples after the first few weeks, but nothing comparable to what I had. Almost a year after I was prescribed Ziana, I can tell you that I still do not have issues. My dermatologist took me off Ampicillin in September, and I had one small chin zit but that went away after about 3 days. I think it was just my body adjusting. Thanks for the questions! Hope it starts to work better for you if you're still using it. It may be worth it to ask your dermatologist about the two oral medications I mentioned. They work really well to speed up the healing and regulate your hormones.
1 month on Ziana
Reviewed on February 14, 2014

Background info: I'm a 25yr old male, combination skin and have dealt with acne since I was a teenager. Recently, I had a very bad flare up and went to a dermatologist who prescribed Ziana at night and Acanya as a spot treatment. I have been on Ziana for over 1 month now and so far it has been a positive experience. 3 weeks of purging and then it starts to clear. However, even though it's clearing I am still getting zits in bad areas. It's much better than it was though. Try not to pop any pimples while on this. It takes awhile for the pigmentation to fade. Use a good moisturizer after you apply the ziana at night.

Overall, I'd recommend this and will update after 6 weeks.

by mille211 on 10/26/2014 17:37
I have had the same experience. I have been on Ziana for 6 weeks. I keep getting new whiteheads on my chin. Are you still on it? When were you consistently clear?
Ziana helps 10% of the time
Reviewed on December 24, 2013

After trying every over the counter topical and a variety of topical's prescribed by my dermatologist, they decided to put me on ziana. I have light to moderate acne and it is very hormonal. The ziana helps maybe a little, but not very much. I get chemical peels. Laser treatments, I use the Emergency spot treatment, I'm on an oral antibiotic and yet I still continue to have breakouts. I have exhausted all my options and have decided to try birth control(mircette). I feel like out of all the things I do to help my breakouts the ziana only helps 10%.

Ziana thumbs down.
Reviewed on December 23, 2013

I was breaking out a little bit while on Differin so the dermatologist recommended I try out Ziana. What a bad idea! Three weeks non stop of breakouts! And Ziana breakouts leave reddish/brown spots on the skin. After 3 weeks of suffering, I gave up. Now I'm back on Differin and my skin is slowly clearing up. What a nightmare. Also - Ziana made my skin oily and when I wore makeup it would 'sit' on top of my skin. I would not recommend.

by Sarah56 on 02/18/2014 01:20
Omg I'm on Ziana right now and have been for like 3 months. I've noticed that my skin is more oily..my make up isn't looking right... And I've gotten bigger pores! After reading this I'm calling my dermatologist tomorrow!!! I never really thought of it being the Ziana. How is your skin now did it get better like with your make up and oiliness? Uhhh I hate acne!
Good overall product, few negative side effects
Reviewed on December 13, 2013

I have moderate acne and use this project twice or three times a week at night.

Great stuff!
Reviewed on November 5, 2013

After stopping birth control, I developed acne unlike any I had ever had in my life (including my teenage years when I had mild acne - I am currently 37 years old). I knew that my hormones would take a while to get back to normal but after two months of dealing with a completely acne covered face (bumps all over as well as a few cysts), I went to the dermatologist who prescribed this. I have somewhat sensitive skin and had used Retin-A in the past (teen years). It had dried out my skin and made my acne much worse before it got better, so I was skeptical. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face. In the interest of full disclosure, I also use PCA Skin acne gel in the morning after I wash. Additionally, I use a light moisturizer in the morning after the acne gel dries. (FYI - My doctor had suggested I start out using this every other night, but I didn't need the adjustment time as my skin was SO oily and I did not fear it getting too dry.) This drug has worked wonders for me. After 5 weeks, my skin is 99% clear (a few very minor bumps - pretty normal for me on or off birth control), and it looks better than it has in years. My doctor had said that my skin could get worse around the 4-6 week mark, but I have experienced an overall general improvement as the weeks go by. The box insert said a worsening of the acne around 2-4 weeks, and I didn't see a major improvement until about 4 weeks, although I didn't think the medicine ever made my skin worse at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone with acne for whom Retin-A, alone, is too drying. The added benefit at 37 years old is that I might see some improvement in skin tone and prevention of wrinkles:)

by TBF on 05/08/2014 22:24
Just curious - with another six months since you wrote this review, is it still working for you? Have you noticed an improvement in skin tone and wrinkles?
Amazing
Reviewed on October 29, 2013

I suffered from acne for 2 years and it's been a pain in the butt. I tried everything and when I say everything, I mean almost everything. I tried retin-a micro 0.25% and 0.4%, epiduo, solodyn, acanya, aczone, minocylcine and finally ziana. I was really afraid to try ziana because I read about how it had really bad purging and I was afraid. However, I decided to give it a try since I was losing hope. I saw a difference in 1 day. It was amazing. I put it on at night and woke up with less bumps on my temples. I had no purging whatsoever and it's only been little over a week and it has done amazing to my skin. The pimples are slowly clearing up and I'm hoping it can fade my acne scars. All I have to say is, give it a try. I love ziana and I feel confident again (: