Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel reviews

3.5/5 - 420 reviews

Clindamycin Phosphate, Tretinoin.

Purified water USP, glycerin USP, carbomer 981 NF, methylparaben NF, polysorbate 80 NF, edetate disodium USP, citric acid USP, propylparaben NF, butylated hydroxytoluene NF, and tromethamine USP.

Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

Doesn't do a thing for me
Reviewed on March 21, 2015

18 Female, have had acne all my life but it was always a few zits, nothing too bad. In the past few months I broke out a lot due to stress.

Ok so my dermatologist prescribed this to me and advised me to use it before going to bed. It's been a month since I have been using it and honestly it hasn't done anything good for me. But overall Ziana just gets sticky and annoying to sleep with, and I have to wash my pillow case very often because of this. Ziana also makes your skin extremely oily, if you wear makeup you can't use this product because your face will be so shiny. Makes me feel gross!

In the 2nd week I broke out A LOT, and I had to go back to one of my old regime's of salicylic acid 2% for a few days and I got cleared up (My skin is too dry for constant salicylic acid).

I am going to ask my dermatologist to give me something else because this product is just a very water based gel that is not strong enough for me.

Love!
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

I'm a female in my mid 20s who has mild acne. I received Ziana from my dermatologist a month or so ago, switching from Finacea, which wasn't doing much for me. It has helped the acne around my mouth and chin so much. I have only had ONE pimple, compared to three or four a month, since using Ziana. That was when I first started using it. I also did not go through the 'purge' my dermatologist warned me about. I use it once each night and put it on after my moisturizer. I also moisturize in the morning. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my 'scars' or pinkish reddish brown spots leftover from previous acne, but hope to. I have also been receiving monthly facials lately, which I think has also helped a lot. I can't wait to continue to use Ziana and see how much more it improves my skin in the future!

Nope
Reviewed on March 7, 2015

I was given this treatment by my dermatologist about 5-6 months ago, and was told that it would for sure make me break out in the beginning, but that that would just be a "purge" and that my skin would clear up. I read mixed reviews, many saying that you just had to wait it out. I have, and still not satisfied. I can't see any significant improvement, and I'm not surprised, as the product doesn't even feel like it's working. Maybe my skin is just tough. When I applied this product the clear gel went on smoothly, but I had no tingling sensation or anything, and usually I look for that as a sign of disinfection. This product feels like absolutely nothing on facial skin, and I haven't been seeing results. Not to mention the INSANE price. :c

Not for me
Reviewed on March 3, 2015

My background: One to two zits in high school, nothing ever serious. Started college and I started getting this huge cysts around my chin and on my cheeks (definitely hormonal acne).

Ziana showed really great results for me within the first two weeks and my skin was super soft! After that HUGE cysts came up everywhere. I've never be so self conscious in my entire life, I avoided contact and never went out on the weekend. As a college student, my skin should be the least of my worries, but it started to take over my life. My derm said that the cream would bring everything to the surface and I would see results around 3 months. Well, month 3 came around and my skin was the worst it's ever been. I stopped using Ziana and my skin looked better just after ONE day. (Not clear obviously, but the size in my zits went way down) I'm sure this is the miracle drug for some people, but it's just not for me.

Really does work! just give it some time
Reviewed on March 3, 2015

I was prescribed Ziana when I was 16 (now I am 21) I had mild to moderate acne and has tried everything under the moon to get rid of it, prescriptions and drug stores. When I started using Ziana when I was 16 I don't remember having any bad purge period, it kept my black heads to a minimum and I would only get occasional pimples. For a short period of time when I was 20 I did not have insurance so when I ran out of Ziana I was SOL. After a few months of being off Ziana I noticed my black heads coming back EVERYWHERE! When I finally got my insurance back again a couple of months ago I decided to go to the dermatologist to get another prescription for ZIana. After using it for a couple of weeks I experience a REALLY BAD purge. I am talking like 10-15 cysts on my face. Every time I got rid of one another 2 would pop up. This occurred because the Ziana was bringing up all of my blackheads to the surface that I had acquired when I was off the Ziana. I am now on my 4th week back on Ziana and I am almost 100% clear!! The number one thing to keep in mind about this product is to BE PATIENT and to not get too worked up over the purge period. It is also important to use the right face wash and lotion. I use CeraVe foaming wash and cetaphil lotion. Hope this helps!

Amazing, just be patient!
Reviewed on December 27, 2014

I was prescribed biacna by my dermatologist after i've been on bactrim for 2 weeks and it was smoot sailing after that. as soon as the bactrim kicked in all I had to worry about was the part where my skin gets used to the gel. it took about 2-3 weeks of experimenting on how frequent i should use the biacna(ziana) but after that i used it every night and the redness and the peeling has all subsided. I have stopped taking bactrim for a week now and still no horrible breakouts because of this gel. it is amazing. I hope it continues to show progress because I love my skin now. It is not perfect and have hyperpigmentation but i am getting there. i never really write reviews but this stuff is the real deal. be patient!!!

give it time, and couple it with an oral treatment
Reviewed on November 23, 2014

This is not a miracle gel, but I don't really think any of them are if you really suffer from chronic or severe acne. I have had the worst time getting Tretinoin gels to work for me-- I am the first to say that I think they are more trouble than they are worth, and it's very hard to get past the "initial breakout", which is truly terrible. I found though that in this combination, the Clindamycin helped pimples heal faster and prevented them from getting yucky and more inflamed. I coupled Ziana with Spironolactone because I suffer from hormonal cysts, large pores, and oily skin. I started seeing results from this combination after about 6 weeks. I think that a lot of these gels need time, and they need to be paired with an oral treatment to be really effective. I don't really think there is one stop shopping with acne treatment.

Bad
Reviewed on September 16, 2014

3 week initial breakout. Made pores look huge. Worst part was the greasy look on skin. Could not get the shiny look to go away even after washing it. Didn't feel like it was working. Only positive was that it didn't dry out my skin like everything else. Going back to benzaclin. This is garbage.

Amazing!
Reviewed on June 19, 2014

When I was around 18 my skin became extremely sensitive and I got a lot of white heads and small pimples daily. It wasn't so bad but it was just all over my cheeks and easily coverable but I could never leave the house without makeup. I went through that for about two years and finally decided to go to the dermatologist. She prescribed me Ziana and I started using every other day before I went to bed for the first three weeks and then after that every night. The first month or so it calmed my existing white heads but I noticed a few new ones. It wasn't as bad as many others have experienced but I did get pimples (bigger ones than when I wasn't on the medication) but they would go away quickly. I also noticed they scarred darker than my acne in the past. I also noticed by face burned a bit when I washed it or when I went to the gym and sweat because the medication does make it sensitive for the first couple of months. I also did experience some minor flaking and peeling. I've now been using it for about 6 months and I've never seen my face so clear! It cleared up all the marks, and I haven't got any acne for the last month. The only annoying part is that around my chin it still flakes a bit (but that can be fixed easily with lotion) and my t-zone is a little oily (which was never the case before). But in my opinion those things can be fixed so easily and I love my skin now. I would definitely recommend this for anyone!! I have mild-medium acne and It definitely worked wonders for me.

Anyone Suffering Should Try This
Reviewed on March 28, 2014

First of all, for those uninterested in reading further, I'll say Ziana works wonders for those who need drastic help!! I am one of those "I've used EVERYTHING and nothing has helped" people, and this does the trick! :)

I am a 27 year old female. Dealt with acne since 6th grade. 6th-8th grade - mild. 8th grade-now - severe. Pin-pointing major breakout times was useless. Tried several topical creams/ointments. None did the trick until Ziana. User of product since December 3, 2013.

Dermotologists prescribed:

Differin Gel- made my mild acne get out of control. Painful pimples led to scarring.

Pro-Activ- Please stay away from this product unless you don't want your acne to heal. If you have sensitive skin, which most acne prone people have, Benzoyl Peroxide can agitate your skin causing burning, itching, peeling, swelling, and redness while discoloring your pillow case and clothes. I have bleach spots on the collar of the shirts I'd wear to bed while using this. This product will hurt your skin rather than heal it. My current dermatologist said it is one of the worst popular products out there. The celebrity endorsements frustrate me!

At 19-20, my current dermatologist figured out the main problem; hormones. Oral medications have helped balance and I noticed a major difference when I didn't take them for a few years. Consistently since I was 20, I've taken birth control and used Neutrogena® Oil-Free Acne Stress Control® face wash and spot treatment. My skin would go from manageable, annoying pimples and uneven skin tone to painful, long lasting breakouts, and back to manageable pimples. A few months ago, my skin was at its worst. I visited my dermatologist again. She prescribed me Spironolactone (previously prescribed and used) and Ampicillin which help heal from inside out and Ziana for topical.

I honestly noticed after the first night of using Ziana, my skin was calming down. Pimples that came up the start day were almost gone the following morning. I would say after a few weeks, my skin had changed dramatically and since the first use, I have had maybe 2 or 3 pimples in almost 4 months! Also, the old scars I've had for over 12 years are fading and my skin tone is now even. No longer do I have blotchy, bumpy skin and makeup caked white heads that surfaced and bled at any moment!

Advice: follow the instructions. Less is more! Only use this at night don't go overboard, or it WILL dry out your skin.

Every night I wash my face, use a very light layer of Ziana, and use twice daily moisturizer. The best part, I didn't have to change my face wash and spend extra money, and I save money in the future by applying less make-up each day. For the first time since high school, I feel good when I'm not wearing make-up! In no way am I make-up free, but women who have had acne problems understand the feeling when you can finally, confidently walk outside without any on.

by mille211 on 10/26/2014 17:36
Hello ! Thanks for the review! I still had acne on differin so my dermatologist switched me to Ziana. I haven't noticed any improvement after 6 weeks. Did it take awhile before you were acne free? You mentioned you noticed a difference the first night. Did it keep getting better or did you breakout the first few weeks on Ziana?
by happywithskinnow on 11/19/2014 19:00
Hi! I noticed after the first night that my existing acne was calming down and healing rather than worsening. I had maybe 2 or 3 blemishes that would pop up randomly, but they were smaller and would go away after a day. Nothing uncontrollable. I'd say after a month or so is when I realized my face was acne free. It actually shocked me because it was an after thought rather than something I was having to worry about daily. So yes, a couple pimples after the first few weeks, but nothing comparable to what I had. Almost a year after I was prescribed Ziana, I can tell you that I still do not have issues. My dermatologist took me off Ampicillin in September, and I had one small chin zit but that went away after about 3 days. I think it was just my body adjusting. Thanks for the questions! Hope it starts to work better for you if you're still using it. It may be worth it to ask your dermatologist about the two oral medications I mentioned. They work really well to speed up the healing and regulate your hormones.