YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 317 reviews

Brand: YAZ

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack Inactive Ingredients:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

Fixed my cystic acne from my other BC.
Reviewed on November 5, 2014

So I've had acne since I was 14, I'm 24 now. It was severe at one point. I tried multiple topicals and it would work and then come back worse. So I finally went on Acutane. Cleared my skin up to where I would get maybe two or three small pimples! I was clear for 6 years. Then a year ago I started Minastrin fe 24 for my irregular periods I've always had. It made my skin all oily again, and I had horrible cystic acne return. After 6 years! My derm said it was from too much testosterone, which increases oil production. Enter yaz. In the first week I noticed I did not get a cyst. I was getting them everyday before. It has only been two weeks, so after a few months I will update again. But it is reversing the damage my other BC did, so far so good! I did get tired and nauseous a little but that only was for the first two days. No other side effects now. I'll post again in a few months with results.

2 month update-----

I'm almost done with my second month and still improving. My skin is getting less oily. I haven't gotten a cyst. I am still getting smaller pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, but not like before. So far so good!

NOT worth it
Reviewed on November 17, 2014

I initially went on Yaz after trying a few other birth controls to help control my ovarian cysts. Yaz is the only bc that doesn't make me nauseous, gain weight, or emotional which is great! Downside: HORRIBLE acne. I am 22 years old and I have never had acne this bad. I'm talking 6-7 cysts at a time, black heads, whiteheads, pustules, hyper-pigmentation and scars. The first 3 months were hell on earth. I went to my derm and got on Solodyn, retinol and BP. My acne only kept getting worse. Now it has been 3 months and it's starting to calm down. The only reason I stayed on it is because my doctor said I will really throw my hormones out of whack if I go off so soon. I will do 6 months more and then slowly get off it. My skin is getting better. It's really true what they say about the 3 month mark, like magic it started to disappear. I ordered The Regimen, I drink green tea and I take 60mg of zinc every day. If you take Yaz you NEEEEEEEEED to take zinc supplements. They have really helped. Overall, I do not recommend going on Yaz and I will be getting an IUD soon!

Does the job
Reviewed on November 10, 2014

I've had acne since my teens and it got worse in my early twenties. Breakouts were concentrated on my jawline, chin, and neck. My dermatologist informed me it was hormonal and prescribed Yaz. The only side effects I experienced were leg cramps in the lower part of my legs and sore breasts when I initially started the pills. I saw a major improvement after using it for 5-6 months. I rarely had breakouts and if I did get a pimple it was relatively small and controllable. Painful cystic acne had disappeared. After 1.5 years of use I stopped and my acne is at is worse 5 months after I discontinued it. I just started taking the pill again this month. The pill does the job exceptionally well but it requires you to take the pill consistently and forever. This is going to be a problem for those who want to get off the pill. I was told by my pharmacist that there is a placebo pill available for those who want to get off the pill; I forgot the exact name she told me but I think the name started with a "D". I will have to discuss it with my dermatologist.

Keeps my skin in check!
Reviewed on September 1, 2014

I have been taking Yaz for 6 years now and it has been great! No negative side effects for me; no weight gain, no mood swings or low sex drive. I believe that Yaz has kept my skin's oil levels under control as well as the acne lesions that occur. I skip my placebos so that I only have 4 "periods" a year.

Worth it.
Reviewed on June 21, 2014

I have been taking Yaz on and off for around a year. There has been a total of 3 months that I have been off of this pill because it lowered my sex drive significantly and made it a little harder to gain muscle (plus it gave me a a little bit of cellulite even though I workout 3-4 days a week and eat a healthy diet). However Yaz has helped clear my skin and my skin is way less oily. I am 24 years old and didn't start getting oiler skin and acne until I was 20. Yaz has been the only thing that has made a change in my skin for the better. Not only has Yaz helped my skin, but it also has made me emotionally stable. I used to cry for no reason, get upset, snap at people, and was an emotional roller coaster. I take the pill continuously throughout the month, that helps regulate my hormones and makes it so I don't get my periods, it also has helped a lot with my energy levels and my relationship with my husband. The two times I tried to go off of Yaz my oily skin/acne returned, and I was once again an emotional mess. For me the pros outweigh the cons, I'd rather be a happy sane person than a miserable emotional wreck.

Love it
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

It took around 6 months but Yaz has cleared me up completely. I don't have any side effects from it, so no weight gain, mood swings or initial acne break out. It did take a while for my cycle to regulate, but this can be the case with all oral contraceptives.

by gumpa on 10/03/2014 17:10
How did it take to clear up your acne?
super cure from acne that will mess you up forever as soon as you get off
Reviewed on January 24, 2014

With this pill, you have to make sacrifices - whether you have clear skin and artificial hormones in your body, or stay healthy with acne. I took it for 2 years and it was amazing for acne! At the time I've had moderate acne which took 5 months or so to clear up. My skin has not been this clear in forever! Plus my hair became less greasy, I've lost weight, got regular period (literally, I knew every month that it will be coming on Thursday at 2 30 p.m.)...All good until I realized I'll have to take it forever, and I want to have a baby in a year or two so I figured better stop now, hoping I grew out of acne. Three months after stopping Yaz everything was still the same and I was so happy... But in September my acne started getting progressively worse, could be related to back to university. In addition, my hair is now greasy by the end of the day I wash it on and it shredded really bad until these days. My nails got so much worse (they have always been long and hard before the pill), I started getting cysts which I NEVER got before... Lastly, I found a lump in my chest that turned out to be a harmless fibroadenoma and I believe the cause was the pill. I've had panic attacks as well; my period is messed up now, sometimes it won't stop and sometimes it won't come.

DO NOT take this if you don't want to take it forever. I am still hoping that I hasn't affected my reproductive ability, but I can only hope....

by Wansum on 07/05/2014 13:01
This is the same case to me. I am now taking lots of vitamins and get some improvement. However, still far away from getting back to a clear face. Hope you also get better soon.
by alubortha on 11/10/2014 01:30
My pharmacist told to me ask my dermatologist about a placebo pill when I want to stop taking this medication. I've also broken out after discontinuing use.
Just, No.
Reviewed on January 23, 2014

I'm 23 years old and I tried Yaz for only 3 months because it made my mood swings with my S.O. really bad!

I would get angry about everything, snap and yell about stupid little things. So I had to stopped the pill, it didn't help my acne at all. I also was very paranoid with Yaz from all the bad reviews but I tried it with a positive out look. but left with Negative results. only reason I tried it was because it was cheaper then Diane 35.

This Has Saved My Skin
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

I'm just about finished with my first pack of Beyaz....and I have to say that this medication has saved my skin. Background: I'm a 19 year old college student and got my first zit when I was 9. I've had acne for as long as I can remember. I have tried, like so many of you, every product (drug store and high end) under the sun, prescription topicals and oral antibiotics - virtually everything but Accutane. My acne has cleared up a bit over the years and I've actually had months where I've been clear thanks to good products...but my skin is smart and always finds a way around them! My skin went absolutely crazy when I started my fall semester of my sophomore year of college (I think it had a lot to do with stress and coming off birth control, Loestrin-24Fe, three months prior) and continued to deteriorate until about a month ago. In my ten year struggle with acne, never had it been cystic in nature - all of a sudden I had huge, painful lumps under my skin that took weeks, sometimes months, to fade (and even then they would come back). I was waking up to two to three more cysts every single day; my face looked purple and I can honestly say my skin had never looked worse. I could barely leave my dorm room, shut out my friends, avoided class, and came home to cry to my mother whenever I could. I have always been someone who has valued my looks and I just did not feel like me anymore. I made appointments with my dermatologist who recommended cortisone injections (which are God's gift to cystic acne patients!) and minocycline (solodyn). The minocycline made my face dead - nothing was healing, nothing was happening, and my skin was simply getting worse. After that dud, I switched dermatologists; as I sat crying in the new derm's chair, she told me that my only other option (considering birth control, minocycline, and heavy duty prescription topicals such as Retin-A, etc., had failed) was Accutane. I registered with IPledge and then..the magic words...she told me I needed to be on the pill for a month. Enter Beyaz - it has been nearly one month on Beyaz and while my acne did get slightly (minor, seriously, nothing scary at all) worse, mostly around my jaw and neckline - which is typical when starting a new pill - my face is virtually clear now. At first, all I could notice was that the skin underneath my acne was different - it wasn't so purple and it was starting to look brighter, softer, much healthier. Then I started noticing a decrease in oil production (I have the oiliest skin...I was up to 12 blotting sheets a day, people)...and then my zits were disappearing! I was still breaking out but in smaller pimples that were nothing compared to the acne I was unfortunately used to. As of now, I still have about seven zits, one bad one, but they are all in the healing process! I will take 7 normal pimples over 20 cysts, for sure! As for side effects, I did experience a bit of nausea and leg cramping at the beginning of the pack. I think I got one headache and was a little tired, but all side effects have subsided (except for larger breasts....which I can't complain about!). I highly recommend this birth control pill...I can only imagine that my skin will continue to improve with time. I looked in the mirror for the first time in months without make up on and felt pretty - only someone who suffers with acne can understand what a huge deal that is. Please try this if you haven't yet and give it some time....It's always darkest before the dawn!

Give it time.
Reviewed on March 1, 2013

Before going on the pill I had minor acne, usually a zit or two once in a while but nothing too drastic - I mostly suffered from on-inflammatory acne. As soon as I started the pill I broke out in some serious cystic acne on my cheeks - a spot I don't usually get acne (at least not often). I know your body need to adjust to the hormones, but all these breakouts are leaving some pretty bad scarring that just doesn't seem to ever fade. I'm only halfway through my second pack, so it may be too soon to tell, so far though it hasn't been good.

I've been very irritable and moody since I started it and have lost the desire to do anything.I'm not sure if this depression is a direct cause of the pill or if it's from the worsened acne.

On top of all that I feel tired all the time...

I know everyone reacts differently, but I personally have not responded well to this medication. Crossing my fingers that things will get better after the 3 month mark!

***UPDATE*** After almost a year on yaz, I must say it does get better. Periods are almost non-existent, and the initial breakout has passed. For those who have hormonal acne (chin, lower cheeks, jawline) I do think yaz helps. I rarely get acne on my chin anymore, where I used to tend to breakout.