YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 323 reviews

Brand: YAZ

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack Inactive Ingredients:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

Power through
Reviewed on June 30, 2015

Ok like most of you I never write reviews. I have always had moderate acne and usually severe around my periods. My obgyn suggested Yaz because of lower hormone levels whatever I'm not really sure..... All I know is I was not prescribed Yaz for acne! And omg I got the surprise of a lifetime when my face broke out so bad with horrible cystic acne all over my chin and jaw line....... I had 9 yes 9 cystic zits at once!!!! I got a new one everyday! So I read everyone's posts about waiting until the third month and it's no joke... I literally just started 3rd pack and like magic over night my growths dried up and are healing now?! The rest of My skin looks amazing it was just that one area. Anyways I'm posting this to tell you the products I used to at least keep them at bay and to keep yourself from crying every time you look in the mirror cause that's what I did.... And it seemed to speed up the process

So I always use Clinique 3step program twice a day acne solutions

I used a powerful clay mask mixed with Apple cider vinegar at night

Papaya enzyme scrub 3x a week

When I'd pop the zits I used a antiseptic cream to kill any bacteria but don't leave it on cause it's oily

Baking soda with water to decrease their size 2x a day

Aloe right after wards just 100% aloe but same rinse it off after ten minutes

up and up 10 benzoyl peroxide clearing cream stuff

And finally obey your body radiance peel 3x a week followed by their daily moisturizer

I don't care if you think this is a lot of products when your face looked as disgusting as mine did you would understand....

Also we all have different skin so my skin can handle lots of products start slow and ease into each one. Another thing that helped was I never wore makeup over them as gross as it is they need to breathe and they looked worse with makeup anyways

Good luck!!

Great as combination with topical cream for women in 20s
Reviewed on June 3, 2015

I didn't start getting acne until a year ago. I could totally tell there was a change in my hormones. I started to slowly get acne worse and worse. My doctor first tried epiduo and an antibiotic. The epiduo worked great for my comedonal but nothing was stopping my cystic acne! Antibiotics don't work for hormonal acne, you must have something for your hormones. After two months of YAZ and Epiduo my skin looks so much better!!! I have started only using powder make. Before I would not let anyone see me with out liquid and powder. I cant wait until I can feel comfortable make up free! Combination is key!

Helped my skin
Reviewed on May 4, 2015

I am hesitant to give it 4 stars because I think it might be becoming less effective in helping my acne. I am 19 years old and I have suffered with acne since middle school and I haven't actually tried to get rid of it until I graduated high school. My skin is very oily and I get blackheads and white heads in my T-zone. The first 2-4 weeks my acne definitely got worse but it started clearing up after about the 3 month mark and all was well for another 3-4 months. My acne never fully went away but it was significantly better, and now it's slowly starting to get worse again :( I do think it is a good pill because I think back to before I took it and oh my goodness my face was MUCH worse.

Finally
Reviewed on April 29, 2015

I am 22 years old and have been dealing with pretty much every kind of acne for years. I have tried everything you can buy in the store and nothing really worked (I read that a lot of drugstore acne products put stuff in that makes you break out so you keep buying their products). When my face is broken out, I don't want to leave the house and I am constantly thinking about my skin to where I feel absolutely depressed about it. So I saw a dermatologist and he put me on clindamycin (probably not great spelling) lotion in the day, adapalene cream at night, and doxycyline for a month to help with the initial breakouts they sometimes cause. It worked fantastic for me for like a year and a half and then my skin randomly started breaking out again really bad. I went back to see my dermatologist and he put me on a bunch of stuff that didn't work and I was dealing with even worse skin for a long time without solution. He finally put me on ziana a month ago for the nighttime, onexton for the day, and ampicillin tablets. Since I was trying to avoid accutane (which was my next option), he also recommended that I change my birth control to one that helps acne so I switched to yaz immediately. The first week was pretty bad because the onexton hurt (it burned, itched, made my face red) and the ziana made my face flakey and dry when I woke up in the morning. My doctor told me that these products can take up to 4 months to be effective and that they oftentimes make your skin a lot worse before it can get better (it has to bring up all the acne and bacteria up to the surface to get rid of it which takes time). I broke out pretty badly the first week and the beginning of the second, on top of that my face was flakey so I couldn't really wear makeup and I was just bummed (even though I knew that's how some of these treatments work and it's probably a sign that it's working). I've had a few side effects that were not unbearable and also went away as my body and skin got used to the medications. I was expecting that I would have to deal with it for months. Honestly, with the exception of accutane, I have been on every pill and and cream there is. By the end of week two and miraculously it was crystal clear. I never thought i would ever be someone to not wear makeup, and I have been (even on dates! That is how clear it is). It's still a little dry, but I started using a really gentle moisturizer (4 dollar ponds) with both the ziana & onexton and also using a lot less of the product. When I first got the onexton, I put a lot on because I wanted to make sure it "really worked" and that was such a mistake because it was VERY painful. I have been using a pea sized amount with moisturizer of both and it works better that way. When I was having my initial breakout, I would desperately read these reviews to have hope and I made a pact with god that if my acne clears up, I will share my experience to help others who are going through the horrible issues acne causes. My advice: don't use too much, don't exfoliate (ziana is an exfoliant and that's why there is flakey skin at first. It also makes your skin super thin so you can't pick and have to be very gentle), be careful in the sun, avoid any other harsh products, and hang in there! You might have an initial breakout, you might not. Either way, it depends on the person when your skin clears up and if you give up before 4 months, you could miss out on a chance to see the progress, my breakout was so bad that I wanted to stop and I read these encouraging posts and figured that I was going to have acne either way (if I was off the medicine or if I was on it) so I might as well suffer through breakouts while I'm treating it and it's worked for me. If you give up before a few months, you haven't even let the medicine do it's job yet and there isn't a single acne perscription that says if can get rid of your acne before 4 months (otherwise I would have tried it). Don't believe me? Ask your doctor. Don't give up, bug your doctor and ask a million questions. As soon as one didn't work, I got another, and kept going until I got something that works for me. I hope everyone finds what they're looking for and hangs in there :]

by Chook28 on 04/30/2015 07:39
As you sound like you know what Yaz is like I need some advice please. I have my formal next week and I have Yaz to take but would it be ideal to wait until the week after formal as I don't want any worse breakouts??
started a week ago
Reviewed on April 26, 2015

for some reason i have been struggling with acne for years to the point where i feel im just disgusting. I've started taking the pill breaking out a bit but it gets worse before it gets better as i have heard. i hope this works because i have given up

Works. But difficult to go off
Reviewed on April 23, 2015

I've been on Yaz for 4 1/2 years and it really does work -- totally eliminated body acne and my face is pretty good, not perfect, but nothing that can't be remedied with a few applications of benzoyl peroxide. I tried going off it though, and I was so greasy and acne started showing up in bizarre places. I'm back on it now but hoping I'll outgrow my acne by the time I actually want to get pregnant? Maybe I'll have other things to worry about at that point?

Fixed my cystic acne from my other BC.
Reviewed on November 5, 2014

So I've had acne since I was 14, I'm 24 now. It was severe at one point. I tried multiple topicals and it would work and then come back worse. So I finally went on Acutane. Cleared my skin up to where I would get maybe two or three small pimples! I was clear for 6 years. Then a year ago I started Minastrin fe 24 for my irregular periods I've always had. It made my skin all oily again, and I had horrible cystic acne return. After 6 years! My derm said it was from too much testosterone, which increases oil production. Enter yaz. In the first week I noticed I did not get a cyst. I was getting them everyday before. It has only been two weeks, so after a few months I will update again. But it is reversing the damage my other BC did, so far so good! I did get tired and nauseous a little but that only was for the first two days. No other side effects now. I'll post again in a few months with results.

2 month update-----

I'm almost done with my second month and still improving. My skin is getting less oily. I haven't gotten a cyst. I am still getting smaller pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, but not like before. So far so good!

NOT worth it
Reviewed on November 17, 2014

I initially went on Yaz after trying a few other birth controls to help control my ovarian cysts. Yaz is the only bc that doesn't make me nauseous, gain weight, or emotional which is great! Downside: HORRIBLE acne. I am 22 years old and I have never had acne this bad. I'm talking 6-7 cysts at a time, black heads, whiteheads, pustules, hyper-pigmentation and scars. The first 3 months were hell on earth. I went to my derm and got on Solodyn, retinol and BP. My acne only kept getting worse. Now it has been 3 months and it's starting to calm down. The only reason I stayed on it is because my doctor said I will really throw my hormones out of whack if I go off so soon. I will do 6 months more and then slowly get off it. My skin is getting better. It's really true what they say about the 3 month mark, like magic it started to disappear. I ordered The Regimen, I drink green tea and I take 60mg of zinc every day. If you take Yaz you NEEEEEEEEED to take zinc supplements. They have really helped. Overall, I do not recommend going on Yaz and I will be getting an IUD soon!

Does the job
Reviewed on November 10, 2014

I've had acne since my teens and it got worse in my early twenties. Breakouts were concentrated on my jawline, chin, and neck. My dermatologist informed me it was hormonal and prescribed Yaz. The only side effects I experienced were leg cramps in the lower part of my legs and sore breasts when I initially started the pills. I saw a major improvement after using it for 5-6 months. I rarely had breakouts and if I did get a pimple it was relatively small and controllable. Painful cystic acne had disappeared. After 1.5 years of use I stopped and my acne is at is worse 5 months after I discontinued it. I just started taking the pill again this month. The pill does the job exceptionally well but it requires you to take the pill consistently and forever. This is going to be a problem for those who want to get off the pill. I was told by my pharmacist that there is a placebo pill available for those who want to get off the pill; I forgot the exact name she told me but I think the name started with a "D". I will have to discuss it with my dermatologist.

Keeps my skin in check!
Reviewed on September 1, 2014

I have been taking Yaz for 6 years now and it has been great! No negative side effects for me; no weight gain, no mood swings or low sex drive. I believe that Yaz has kept my skin's oil levels under control as well as the acne lesions that occur. I skip my placebos so that I only have 4 "periods" a year.

by MarilynRose on 05/27/2015 13:56
Please have your periods! Periods are to get rid of toxins and to not devolop cysts and fibroids, check out pcos.