YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 332 reviews

Brand: YAZ

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

Very mixed feelings about it
Reviewed on July 20, 2016

Originally I was prescribed Diane 35 by my dermatologist, but I decided to go with Yaz eventually because it has a lower dose of estrogen as well as a shorter 4-day period. Now I have been on Yaz for around 6 months already. While I don't really regret choosing it over Diane 35, I have to say that I do have very mixed feelings about the results that I am getting.

First of all, here are the pros and cons of Yaz for me.

Pros:

No weight gain at all

Sex drive remaining there

Gradually lighter period

Increased breast size

Reduction in oil production of skin

Cons:

Increased anxiety level

Increased irritability

Mood swings

Breakthrough bleeding

Cystic Acne remaining there

I didn't really get an initial breakout from Yaz. For the first few months I did notice some strange things happening to my skin. For example, during the 2nd month for about a week my skin went from super oily to super dry with zero oil production. But very quickly it went back to normal. Yaz has really helped me greatly in reducing the oil production of my skin. Prior to taking it, I couldn't get by one or two hours without looking like a complete oil slick. But now the oiliness of my skin is very normal and in acceptable level, even though I still consider myself having oily and acne prone skin. However, Yaz has so far failed to clear me up. Somewhere from the middle of the 4th month I have started to break out more and now I have been breaking out really badly in cystic acne. I am not certain whether the sudden onset of cystic acne is directly caused by Yaz or other factors though.

Emotionally it has been a roller coaster for me in the past few months. Although I don't think Yaz is to be blamed alone for all my anxiety / irritability / depression, I do believe that it plays a part in affecting my moodiness more or less. And I really think that anyone with a family history of anxiety or depression issue should be very very cautious with hormonal treatment.

Anyway I am going to stick with Yaz for another 3 months maybe, just to see if my cystic acne will improve or get worse. If it gets really out of control or doesn't have any improvement after that, maybe I will consider switching to another brand, maybe Diane 35, who knows!

I would give it 5 stars, but it is risky
Reviewed on July 19, 2016

I do not have PCOS, but I have elevated DHEA-S (twice the normal limit) and slighty elevated Cortisol. I went on Yaz after Ortho Tri Cyclen and 50mg Spironolactone stopped working for me. I've had no bad side effects or adverse reactions. It cleared 95% of my breakouts.

I also have a history of migraines with aura. I only had 2 of these migrianes, and they were 5 years before I started Yaz.

I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because when I tried to go off it, I had the WORST break out imaginable. I quickly went back on again.

Yaz saved my skin!
Reviewed on June 16, 2016

I've struggled with Acne since I was 14. I'm now 24 and have tried everything- face washes, creams, facials, antibiotics, other birth controls, Accutane x 2. Nothing worked. I'd been on Ortho-Tricyclin for 6 years previously which helped clear up my acne for the most part but when I turned 22, my acne started reappearing and getting worse on my cheeks- which was never a problem area I ever had. I went off birth control completely for 8 months, hoping my hormones would balance themselves out- WRONG. My acne got much, much worse. After talking with my doctor, he prescribed YAZ. The first month and a half my acne worsened which dampened my spirits but after the 2nd pack, my skin has cleared up immensely. Hang in there and let YAZ work it's magic. Sure there are some downsides of taking birth control but to me, clear skin is totally worth it!

Bad initial breakout
Reviewed on May 10, 2016

I'm on my 3rd month and still breaking out really badly! Anyone know how long it will take to work? Its actually made my acne a whole lot worse so i'm loosing hope :(

by lenz95 on 06/11/2016 05:31
Can take up to 6 months, hang in there
Ok-ish, but once you get off...
Reviewed on April 16, 2016

I took Yaz for 6 months(from april 2015 to august 2015) after my gynecologist recommended it as a treatment for my PCOS. Initially, she told me to only take it for 4 months, but my left ovary still had 5-6 cysts and took it for another 2 months. Yaz did a great job for my ovaries in these 6 months, I got rid of all those cysts(and still cysts-free now), but for my hormonal acne, it was terrible the first 2-3 months. I literally didn't get out of the house for days, I developed big, painful pimples all over my face, like never before; my appetite was over the roof(I gained 2kg in 6 months, mostly water retention I think, because I was constantly fighting my emotional binge-eating feeling lol). After these horrible 2 months, my face slooowly started to be somehow "normal" again, and in my last 2 months I only had a few blackheads on my nose. Once I got off, my acne slowly came back and by november-december, my face was full of little monsters again(no cystic, painful pimples though, but a lot of whiteheads and blackheads).

I think Yaz works as long as you stay on it, but you can't really take it forever :)

Now I'm on metformin and spironolactone for almost 2 weeks as a treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. Hope this one works, as now I am treating the cause of all my problems(bloody hormones!!!), not the effect.

My YAZ Experience
Reviewed on February 1, 2016

I went on YAZ when I was a sophomore in high school in the hopes of it clearing my mild to moderate acne that I had had since 6th grade. It took a couple months to actually help my skin. It never made it worse, but it took a while (probably a year or so) to completely clear my skin. I was so excited I finally had clear skin!

I had no problems with it until fall 2015 (my sophomore year of college). I started having migraines that were unbearable, so my doctor wanted to switch me to Aviane because it has a lower estrogen dose. I did a lot of research and read horror stories about people's skin on Aviane so I decided not to take it. Ultimately, I quit brith control all together hoping that I had grown out of my acne and boy was I wrong. I stopped taking YAZ in the middle of October and my skin was okay for a few months. I was taking vitamins and eating clean hoping it would help. Now it's January and my skin is the worse it has ever been. Horrible acne all over my cheeks, forehead, and chin/jaw area. It is so bad that I've decided to go back on birth control.

I'm afraid to go back on YAZ because of the migraines and moodiness, so my doctor is having me try Sprintec (generic for Ortho Cylen) to see if it will clear my skin without the horrible migraines. I'm on my third week and my skin only seems to be getting worse, but I'm still hopeful! Overall, I would not recommend YAZ unless it is your absolute last resort for acne. And beware of going off the pill. I know everyone reacts differently to the hormones but for me personally going off YAZ has wrecked my skin. I'm giving it 3 stars because it really does help clear acne, but with that you'll have to be on the pill for the rest of your life if you want to keep your clear skin.

Miracle for me, but cannot go off
Reviewed on January 16, 2016

I'm 31 and have battled acne for 16 years. I have literally tried everything except selling my soul to Satan to rid myself of the cystic acne I get around my chin, cheeks, and jawline. Two Accutane courses, antibiotics, topicals, Spiro, supplements, peels, lasers.... I had tried BCP's in my late teens/early twenties but I don't remember seeing the results I have now.

I've been on Yaz for 6 months now. I started clearing up within the first 2 weeks. I now have the clearest skin I have ever had. The problem is when I stop taking it, even for the period days (white sugar pill) I will break out. After researching I have found that I can just continue on the pink pills and have a period every 2-3 months, which is what I've been doing now. I will still breakout when I go off- but I finally have control over when that will happen.

I gave this 5 stars- it is not perfect but it has given me control again! My skin finally has a chance to heal from the scaring. I also haven't had any serious side effects.

YAZ Journey
Reviewed on October 2, 2015

Hello, this is my first time writing any review online but I figured it would be interesting to track my progress on my Yaz journey for clearer skin. I have suffered from acne (more than mild but not the most severe of cases), cheek, jaw, and chin ACNE. My acne began when I was in 6th grade, 11years old. I am now 21 and just ready to freaking live life! My life, happiness, lack of friendships/relationships have TOTALLY relied on my acne. Earlier this year I finally acknowledged the fact that I do in fact suffer from depression due to the effects of my acne. I have tried EVERYTHING!! OTC everything, benzoyl, salicylic acid, neutral washes, organic/natural washes, not using product at all, zinc, evening primrose, omega oils etc etc and I give these products months to work. I have a very healthy diet and exercise multiple times a week, my family calls me a health nut. In August of this year I decided that I was no longer responsible for my acne meaning I realized that my acne was beyond my control, there was something internally wrong.

So I started YAZ in August 23 2015. I was put on for acne, oral contraceptive, and to help my heavy flow and cramps.

Month 1: started breaking out mildly on my forehead. Before Yaz, my forehead had been relatively clear, the only clear place on my face. Also my mood seemed to improve, maybe because I have hope that Yaz will help my acne. Periods are sooo much easier to deal with.

At 6weeks: Large acne on left side of cheek, but not too much. Don't know whether to blame BC or its just how its always been. Breast seem to be sore and possibly growing. They kind of hurt sometimes if I don't wear a bra. When the acne is popped they seem to smooth out quicker than before BC.

I'll keep this post updated! Hopefully I'll have a success story.

3rd month completed: My skin is really smoothing out! There are finally more clear patches than acne patches for the first time in a while. I still break out, especially before my period (a few jawline breakouts). My temples have been a bit problematic, but I realize when I drink my 3 liters of water a day my temples/face stays clear. Overall I am dealing with scarring. I have also started using the Burt's Bees diaper rash (zinc 40%) and that has been more effective than benzoyl/salicylic acid. I'll see yal next month!

A long road but worth it!
Reviewed on July 9, 2015

As someone who suffered from acne since 13 (I am 29 now) I’ve always utilized these reviews and now that I’ve finally found something that works- I have to share my experience. Most of my acne has always been in the chin area- moderate with severe cysts at times. I tried everything- every antibiotic, accutane, every topical. It wasn’t until I started getting ovarian cysts that my doc wanted to put me on YAZ as it could regulate my cycle and help my frustrating adult acne. I am taking name brand YAZ, not generic.

I can’t say that months 1-5 were easy but I am SO SO glad I stuck it out. Now my skin is better than it has been in my ENTIRE life.

Month 1

Side Effects - Emotional unbalance, there were a few weeks that I felt like a crazy person. High anxiety, feeling like there was always something wrong. Some light muscle soreness which went away after a few days and never returned. This was my first time ever taking BC.

Skin- OK. Better than previous months but not drastically different.

Month 2

Side Effects- Ocular migraine (my first ever). Awful experience!!

Skin- AWFUL. Started breaking out more than I have since my early 20’s. Mostly around jawline…huge, deep, cystic pimples.

Month 3/4

Side Effects- Still breaking out a lot, same as previous month.

Month 5

Skin- Acne finally starting to get a tiny bit better. Getting less and less cystic acne in chin area but starting to get a TON of tiny pimples on neck and under jawline. Also getting a lot of these tiny pimples/whiteheads on forehead/cheeks (where I never get acne).

Month 6

Skin- Haven’t gotten hormonal acne in a month!! Acne on neck/lower jawline starting to disappear.

Month 7

Skin- Wow! So happy I did’t quit. My skin looks better than it ever has. Everyday it seems to get clearer and healthier looking. Still some trace amount of surface acne on neck but becoming less of an issue each month.

To recap, it wasn’t until month 6 until I started noticing any real changes I could for sure attribute to YAZ. Everyone who says after 3-4 months it should work…everyone is different! Hold out and see because the pay off is great.

Power through
Reviewed on June 30, 2015

Ok like most of you I never write reviews. I have always had moderate acne and usually severe around my periods. My obgyn suggested Yaz because of lower hormone levels whatever I'm not really sure..... All I know is I was not prescribed Yaz for acne! And omg I got the surprise of a lifetime when my face broke out so bad with horrible cystic acne all over my chin and jaw line....... I had 9 yes 9 cystic zits at once!!!! I got a new one everyday! So I read everyone's posts about waiting until the third month and it's no joke... I literally just started 3rd pack and like magic over night my growths dried up and are healing now?! The rest of My skin looks amazing it was just that one area. Anyways I'm posting this to tell you the products I used to at least keep them at bay and to keep yourself from crying every time you look in the mirror cause that's what I did.... And it seemed to speed up the process

So I always use Clinique 3step program twice a day acne solutions

I used a powerful clay mask mixed with Apple cider vinegar at night

Papaya enzyme scrub 3x a week

When I'd pop the zits I used a antiseptic cream to kill any bacteria but don't leave it on cause it's oily

Baking soda with water to decrease their size 2x a day

Aloe right after wards just 100% aloe but same rinse it off after ten minutes

up and up 10 benzoyl peroxide clearing cream stuff

And finally obey your body radiance peel 3x a week followed by their daily moisturizer

I don't care if you think this is a lot of products when your face looked as disgusting as mine did you would understand....

Also we all have different skin so my skin can handle lots of products start slow and ease into each one. Another thing that helped was I never wore makeup over them as gross as it is they need to breathe and they looked worse with makeup anyways

Good luck!!