Yasmin Oral Contraceptives

Average price: $26.19

Brand: Yasmin

Most helpful review

By Holly, Maryland on 02/29/2008

I love Yasmin I have been on it now for only 2 weeks. I was on Yaz a lower hormon level pill that didn't help my acne and I took it for 4 months. But Yasmin has been such a great help wtih my acne. Now I only get 1 or 2 pimple here and there where as Yaz I was having major break outs day in and day out with no refiel. I don't have the mood swings or break threw bleeding either. I love this pill and recommend to it anyone looking to clear up your skin using birth control. Also if you have a good doctor they can write you a RX for 3 months worth at a time so you wont have to go back so much..

Pros:
  • It work well with acne and it works fast
Cons:
  • None so far

18 out of 26 people found this review helpful

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Member reviews

By on

This is my second time on Yasmin, both times I went on it for a mixture of wanting to ease my periods and clear my acne. This time round I have only been on it two weeks and my skin is clearing, last time I was on it I saw results in 1-2 months.

I came off in January 2012 after a year and half on it, my doctor thought it was aggravating my migraines (turns out I had a food intolerance instead). The side effects coming off were terrible - panic attacks, anxiety, severely heavy periods and a gradual return of my acne. I am much happier being on it and it is a birth control that works for me in all aspects.

This pill is not suitable for everyone, if your acne is not hormonal related it is likely to make things worse. If you're over 35 and smoke, have a history of clots and/or severe migraines it is also not recommended.

To conclude, if you think your acne is linked to your periods and do not have health issues that would make it unsuitable then you may want to ask your doctor about this option.

Pros

• Likely to clear acne related to hormones/menstrual cycle
  • Free in the UK
  • Can skip periods
  • Eases other forms of PMS

Cons

• Not suitable for everyone
  • Can be difficult to get prescription for
  • Bad side effects if you go off it
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been on Yasmin for a month now and the first two weeks I thought this was a miracle pill. My skin cleared up very fast and was less oily. I have started month two and I now have HORRIBLE cystic acne around my chin. It's very painful and embarrassing. I'm hoping it will clear up around month three because I can not take this. Although I haven't had any weight gain which is a positive!

Pros

• Not pregnant
  • No weight gain

Cons

• Bad break outs
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Before taking this pill I used sudocrem which cleared up my skin almost completely, when I started taking yasmin my skin became spotless! However, I immediately noticed an increase in my appetite and I generally felt down all the time despite usually being quite a cheery person. I carried on taking the pill for over a year until I gave up. I am a student at university and I'd lost all motivation and was convinced the pill was involved. Since coming off of it I have suffered terrible mood swings, irregular periods and quite bad skin breakouts.

I wouldn't recommend this pill at all! It may give you clear skin but it's not worth all the other stuff, coming off of it isn't easier either!

Pros

• Clearer skin
  • Lighter/shorter periods
  • Not pregnant!

Cons

• Bad mood swings
  • Weight gain
  • Low sex drive
  • Depression
  • Lack of motivation
  • moderate

By on

Funny thing, I used to take this OC for almost ten years then had our baby and now my body can just not handle this one at all anymore. For improving skin, I can not recommend it anymore. My skin used to be ok before. Now my chin and jawline are full of cystic, painful pimples. I am tired and moody.

I didn't gain weight though...which is good.

The other side effects are even worse than the breakouts...not the BCP for me.

Pros

• worked as a contraceptive

Cons

• acne breakouts
  • mood swings
  • cravings
  • heavy and irregular menstruations
  • low sex drive etc.
  • moderate

By on

After years of grief, I finally consulted the doctor when I was 20 complaining of very heavy, irregular periods, big mood fluctuations and persistent adult acne which was bringing down my self esteem.

I was on Yasmin for about a year and it was the first pill I tried. After a few months I noticed that my skin was a lot less oily and much clearer than it had been in years! I was absolutely over the moon. For the first time since puberty I actually an element of control over my menstrual cycle and I felt so much better about my skin. The only downside was that my menstrual cramps had become unexpectedly severe, but I figured I could live with it considering how much happier I was with everything else.

Unfortunately in my case, the happiness didn't last for much longer. Fast forward a few more months and I unexpectedly gained a load of weight, constantly needed to pee, was perpetually constipated, and I was plagued by dry, flaky skin on my hands, face and scalp. The dry skin on my face even brought back some of the acne, which understandably was a big disappointment. It was what I was trying to get rid of in the first place!

I returned to the doctor to describe my symptoms and he seemed quite surprised to hear about them. But sure enough, once I came off Yasmin, absolutely all of the above problems completely disappeared in under a month. The weight just fell off me. It really was bizarre.

To be perfectly honest it wasn't a complete waste of time because I really was content for a few months. I know there are some horror stories on here but if your doctor thinks that Yasmin might be worth a try then you can always dump it like I did, should it turn out not to be right for your body chemistry. As for me, I'm now 22 and still looking for the right pill. I've been given Dianette which could be a miracle cure or complete disaster! Ho-hum.

Pros

• Regular, lighter periods
  • Mood swings greatly reduced
  • Improved skin

Cons

• Very uncomfortable menstrual cramps
  • Gained unexplained weight
  • Constantly needed to pee!
  • Constipation
  • Dry, flaky skin (face, hands, scalp)
  • moderate
  • for about a year

By on

Bottom line is I would STRONGLY advise finding another method of birth control/acne prevention, anything really besides this drug. Not only are there obvious possible side effects such as the blood clotting, but I could not believe the emotional roller coaster I was on while on this medication. I was seriously considering going to therapy for depression ad anxiety because I could not understand why I was always feeling so anxious and having weekly meltdowns for no reason. Since switching I have an actual appetite, I am remarkably happier, have less acne and a much warmer body temperature! I understand there are risks with each oral contraceptive you choose, I just highly advise otherwise especially if it's simply for acne prevention!

Pros

• Weight loss, acne control for the first two years, birth control

Cons

• Intense painful deep acne in the 3rd and ongoing years, poor circulation, always cold, intense mood swings and deep depression and anxiety, pain in the legs indicating possible blood clots.

By on

i have mixed feelings about this pill.i am starting my 3rd strip now and so far,and my skin is experiencing a bit of a rollercoaster ride,with unexpected breakouts in uncommon for me areas like the cheeks which i always had clean.as for me the mood swings are the WORST.they are starting to destroy my relations with my boyfriend and the worst thing is-i just cannot control them. hopefully,these are only initial and both my mood and skin will get bettet in month 3/4!

Pros

• bigger boobs
  • shorter,regulated periods
  • effective at preventing pregnacy

Cons

• horrible mood swings,feeling like crying all the time,stressing over the most irrelevant things
  • increased apetite
  • bleeding in between periods
  • worsened acne
  • lack of energy and motivation,feeling tired despite getting more tgan enough sleep!
  • moderate
  • for a few months

By on

I never had skin problems during my teens EVER! until i turned about 21. After ages of trying to work out what was wrong but was so confused as I always look after my skin and am an extremely healthy person. I then finally came to the realisation that it was hormones. I thought it was really weird that I just had all of a sudden started having acne issues at this age but apparently it is very common for females around my age to develop it especially if you never had problems with it during your teens. so I decided to go to Yasmin bc and after being on it for nearly 3 weeks im getting my confedience back with my skin. It really feels good. its starting to clear up alot i have heard it can get much worse before it gets better I havent experienced that yet hopefully I dont but I have to express my positive feedback with Yas,

Pros

• skin is starting to clear up after only 2 and a half weeks of taking yasmin
  • skin feels softer

Cons

• makes you feel abit sick
  • feel abit bloated
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm actually on Month 2 so I'm experiencing the horrible initial breakout that comes with the pill. I'm hoping by Month 4 (May) that at least some improvement will be shown as it will be my 21st birthday. I've always suffered from acne for almost 10 years now but it was slightly mild to moderate. Around puberty, I started to develop more pimples on my cheeks. Now I have pimples everywhere. forehead and cheeks and now my chin and even above my lip. I will send in an update around May. I pray that everything works out tho.

Pros

• Hair is thicker
  • Skin not as oily

Cons

• Horrible breakout
  • Moody sometimes
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 11

By on

Ive never taken such a terrible pill in my life. I've always had a very high sex drive with my partner until taking these pills. On the 7th day of the monthly break from taking the pill did my sex drive start to come back so I know it's definitely this pill. I'm a very strong minded person and this pill makes me cry about everything which is definitely not me lol. I'm moody, angry and my anxiety is sky high. Never ever again.

Pros

• I'm not pregnant!

Cons

• Terrible feeling of sickness most days
  • Always tired
  • Hormones went crazy
  • Weight gain
  • Spots in first month
  • moderate
  • for a few months