Page 2 of Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 715 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Yasmin and acne
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Just stick with it!!

I have suffered from terrible acne over my t-zone area from around the age of 15 (now 22) and have used dianette on/off for years. Over christmas my acne flared up again, probably worse than ever so decided to go on dianette again. However, I had recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism so was advised to try yasmin. The first three months were terrible in fact my acne got a lot worse, but as soon as i started month 4 things very quickly began to improve and by month five my skin is basically crystal clear soo much clearer than with dianette!! So if you can just make it past the first 3 months you will begin to see signs of improvement!!

by Hmusic on 07/25/2013 18:56
Hi thanks for your comment, I have just finished my first month od yasmin and my skin is really bad. A lot worse than what it was when I started. Its affected my right check, my jaw line and neck!!! I just don't know what do do throw the towel in or keep at it for another few month!! Did you take a break between packs? I've been advised not to
by joh0506 on 07/28/2013 18:40
Hi thanks for this comment, I also used Yasmin for almost 2 months now my pimples get worse especially on my chin and I also experience deppression. but still Im hoping that Yasmin pill will help me cure my acne. I used Dianne 35 before and it has cleared my acne but my problem is I cannot have that pill here in UAE because it is banned now so I dont have any choice but to use Yasmin because this is the only alternative pill I know that treat acne. I hope after 5 months I can have a good result.
by joh0506 on 07/28/2013 18:43
I also read that Fucidin Ointment can cure acne I want to try it also ,anyone who knows about this ointment??Or used this before??
Maybe not...
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Took this Birthcontrol for probably close to 2 years. I would say it reduced my acne to some degree, but nothing that I was ever super impressed with. I stopped taking this birth control though. It actually made me quite sick. Severe mood sings, horrible chest pains, continuous head aches etc.... All of which went away after stopping this medication. I also gained weight on this.

Yasmin- try it it worked for me!
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

After trying and failing to treat my acne with Zineryt and Tetracycline, both which severely dried my skin out, it was suggested that I go on the pill to treat my acne. My acne was not cystic, but instead consisted of very small whiteheads that covered my entire face and back, leaving my skin bumpy, red and greasy.

There was no immediate difference, but in 6 months I noticed a drastic improvement and within a year 90% of my acne had gone. Yes it took a year, but all the redness, bumps and whiteheads went, leaving only some scars and slight red pigmentation which it fading. I never picked my spots anyway so I think that also reduced the amount of scars 'left over'.

I was 18 when I went on Yasmin, and I am now 20 and have been taking it for 2 and a half years. Some people may argue that I went on it when I reaching the end of puberty anyway, but my sister went on it at 16 for medical reasons and it cleared up her acne as well. When she went off it at 18, her acne returned (although not as severely) so I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are a teenager or in your early twenties.

I continue even now with washing my face with Johnson's 'Clean and clear' blackhead cleaning scrub, and rub sudacrem on my 'problem areas', so my forehead and around my nose. I am planning on taking it for at least 2 more years, till I am sure that puberty has finished as I think my acne was probably hormonal. I started getting acne when I was 14, and it took 4 years before someone suggested the pill as a treatment and I am so glad it tried it. Yes it takes time, but my acne hasn't returned since so that proves to me Yasmin is still working.

One thing I will mention is yes- Yasmin did trigger some mood swings (as in occasionally made me feel wayy more emotional) and yes I did put on weight- about half a stone. However I did put on weight straight to my boobs and butt so I was lucky in that respect but I think this varies on the person! For me, all this was worth going through if my skin improved, which it did.

Reviewed on April 20, 2013

This totally works after a few months but again, it is not a permanent solution

Reviewed on March 9, 2013

Try it, but don't expect a miracle. Stop if you start gaining weight or your skin gets worse (with Dr.'s approval, I guess.) Don't believe it when anyone tells you the bp doesn't make acne worse.

Reviewed on February 12, 2013

This is a wonder pill for me! You have to at least give it 3-5 months to see the difference. For the first 3 months I had big cystic acnes on my nose that wont go away! I had them injected with a cortisone shot so that they'd go flat and they did! At the start of 4th month I saw a huge difference. I mean there were still scars from the previous pimples but there were no acne anymore. I can live with the scars since I can always cover them with concealer and buy a scar removal topical. :)

Reviewed on January 21, 2013

I have been on and off the pill for about 15 years. I have been getting acne for the last 3 years, which is odd for my age (30's) so my doctor prescribed Yasmin since I take the bcp anyway. I just finished the second month and I see no improvement yet. I am willing to give another few months since I noticed that a few people on here said they didn't notice a difference until about 4-6 months. Hopefully I will see a difference. Other than that, I can't complain, no side effects.

Reviewed on December 18, 2012

STICK AT IT FOR A FEW MONTHS! I saw no improvement at all in the first few months, and then suddenly all the side effects disappeared, I stopped getting new spots, and now have completely clear skin.

I had used BP for almost 6 months beforehand (exactly as instructed) and saw no improvement, just consistently oily, flaky skin.

For me, this was the wonder drug.

Background info: I've had acne since I was 8 years old, plus irregular periods, a bit of excess hair etc, so there was probably a hormonal issue that Yasmin fixed. If you're similar, Yasmin could help you :)

Reviewed on December 10, 2012

It worked good for what it was supposed to do (prevent pregnancy and control irregularly, heavy menstrual cycle) but it didn't work wonders for acne or anything. This and no other BC has ever had any effect on my acne 1 way or another. Had very occasional spotting with this. While on it, developed a gallbladder polyp, which may or may not have been related since it is said to have a link to gallbladder diseases.

Reviewed on September 26, 2012

I was on antibiotics for my adult acne for several years which stopped working when I started taking the progesterone only pill. My skin broke out completely and my hair was so brittle and damaged it was breaking off in three inch lengths! GP suggested Yasmin and coming off anti b's (I'm 44 so I am a little old for this BC but she thought better this than anti b's and a BCP which made me break out!)

I had started Dan's regimen and my acne was improving but when I started Yasmin, my skin started improving immediately! Within a month I was clear. I do get the odd chin break out but nothing too drastic. I only hope that my GP lets me stay on it until the menopause!

Ps. My hair is great too - grows lusciously and is thicker and wavier.