Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 710 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Yasmin and cutting out dairy has cleared my acne
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

After suffering from acne since 13 years of age, now 27! I had almost given up hope on finding something out there to clear up my cystic acne. I started Yasmin a year and a half ago.I had been reading reviews and reasearch and decided to cut out dairy as well. No milk whatsoever. Girls be patience as it does take 6 months to clear up, and it does get worse before it gets better! I believe this works for hormonal related acne which for me was from me cheeks down my neck. In the past iv tried roaccutane, (worst drug ever) every topical treament, diet, every antibiotic, spent £500 on laser treatment. My skin is clear, not one spot. I definitely recommend it but give it a good 6 months or so and no milk!!

Horrible
Reviewed on February 15, 2014

I know a lot of reviews are saying wait it out but I'm on to week 3 and I've never had acne like this before. I refuse to leave the house!! ...and new deep, red, painful, cystic spots on my chin and jawline are being added by the second. Not to mention the nausea I experienced and cramp I had in my legs. Not worth it! I'm stopping today. I used another BC which made my skin flawless but I looked 6 months preg with the bloating and I'm seriously considering that again

It's working
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

I was taking NOVIAL last year, (not for acne). My skin was clear in a month. but I didn't know it was because of the pill. Then I stopped taking them because it caused me migraine. This year I had the worst break out of my life, because I'm about to finish my career and I'm very stressed (stress = high androgen levels). So, I decided to take a low dose pill. "Yasmin". I have been on it for 2 weeks and my skin is getting better. For experience I know my acne it's hormonal, (hereditary) my sister had acne and as soon she started to take birth pills, her skin cleared up. So I suggest you, you must not take the pill at least you know your acne is essentially hormonal. It can causes you some issues.

I will post later to keep you informed :)

Made my acne 100000 million times worse
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

Before I started this pill I didn't suffer with skin as badly as I do now. I had mild acne, however this caused severe cystic acne especially around my jaw it was horrendous. My derm told me to stop it was causing so much harm.

my experience on ocella-generic version of yasmin
Reviewed on August 3, 2013

About three years ago I got the Mirena IUD put in and this was the worst thing to ever happen. Right after I started getting horrible break outs and I never broke out in the past. So finally three months ago I go it taken out. My gyno recommended that I get on the pill because it helps with acne. So I started taking ocella (generic version of yasmin) my skin has been a little rocky and is no where near perfect. I'm about to go into my fourth packet and I feel like my skin isnt the best it could be. I am going to wait and see but I am tired of feeling self conscious about my skin!

Could have killed me and makes acne worse afterwards
Reviewed on August 1, 2013

I took Ocella (generic Yasmin) from the ages of 19-23. Before that I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo from the ages of 16-19. I only was put on the Yasmin because when I tried to quit Ortho I broke out terribly (only ever had mild acne). What they don't tell you is that when you go OFF birth control pills, your acne often gets MUCH worse than it ever was, because it does such unnatural things to your hormones. Google around and look at the acne after the pill thread on here, you will find a million horror stories of women who took the pill, went off, then developed severe cystic acne.

After about 4 years on Yasmin I noticed that I couldn't think straight, always had debilitating headaches, and my muscles were weak even though I worked out a lot. My doctor said that the Yasmin was causing my migraines, and that developing migraines while on the Pill meant I was at an increased risk of having a stroke.

Stopping it was hell. I had no idea what I was getting into. I lost at least 1/3 of my hair and had a receding hairline. My hair started growing in gray in places. I had uncontrollable acne that did not respond to BP or extreme elimination diets and supplements. It took about 6 months before my body started feeling normal-ish again and a year before I tamed the acne with Atralin (a brand of tretonin).

Don't mess with this stuff, or any pill. Try the copper IUD or some other non hormonal method if you need BC. It is just not worth the risk to your body and skin.

Yasmin and acne
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Just stick with it!!

I have suffered from terrible acne over my t-zone area from around the age of 15 (now 22) and have used dianette on/off for years. Over christmas my acne flared up again, probably worse than ever so decided to go on dianette again. However, I had recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism so was advised to try yasmin. The first three months were terrible in fact my acne got a lot worse, but as soon as i started month 4 things very quickly began to improve and by month five my skin is basically crystal clear soo much clearer than with dianette!! So if you can just make it past the first 3 months you will begin to see signs of improvement!!

Maybe not...
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Took this Birthcontrol for probably close to 2 years. I would say it reduced my acne to some degree, but nothing that I was ever super impressed with. I stopped taking this birth control though. It actually made me quite sick. Severe mood sings, horrible chest pains, continuous head aches etc.... All of which went away after stopping this medication. I also gained weight on this.

Yasmin- try it it worked for me!
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

After trying and failing to treat my acne with Zineryt and Tetracycline, both which severely dried my skin out, it was suggested that I go on the pill to treat my acne. My acne was not cystic, but instead consisted of very small whiteheads that covered my entire face and back, leaving my skin bumpy, red and greasy.

There was no immediate difference, but in 6 months I noticed a drastic improvement and within a year 90% of my acne had gone. Yes it took a year, but all the redness, bumps and whiteheads went, leaving only some scars and slight red pigmentation which it fading. I never picked my spots anyway so I think that also reduced the amount of scars 'left over'.

I was 18 when I went on Yasmin, and I am now 20 and have been taking it for 2 and a half years. Some people may argue that I went on it when I reaching the end of puberty anyway, but my sister went on it at 16 for medical reasons and it cleared up her acne as well. When she went off it at 18, her acne returned (although not as severely) so I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are a teenager or in your early twenties.

I continue even now with washing my face with Johnson's 'Clean and clear' blackhead cleaning scrub, and rub sudacrem on my 'problem areas', so my forehead and around my nose. I am planning on taking it for at least 2 more years, till I am sure that puberty has finished as I think my acne was probably hormonal. I started getting acne when I was 14, and it took 4 years before someone suggested the pill as a treatment and I am so glad it tried it. Yes it takes time, but my acne hasn't returned since so that proves to me Yasmin is still working.

One thing I will mention is yes- Yasmin did trigger some mood swings (as in occasionally made me feel wayy more emotional) and yes I did put on weight- about half a stone. However I did put on weight straight to my boobs and butt so I was lucky in that respect but I think this varies on the person! For me, all this was worth going through if my skin improved, which it did.

Reviewed on April 20, 2013

This totally works after a few months but again, it is not a permanent solution