Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 715 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Don't do it..
Reviewed on October 9, 2014

I started using yasmin when I WAS 18 and used it for 3 years , with short breaks..

2 years ago I stopped it forever and at first I experienced the worst side effects ever, but even so, stopping WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE.

SIDE EFFECT that i experienced:

while ON yasmin:

BLOATING

BAD CELLULITE ( every time I stopped them, a week after the cellulite disapear, so don't tell me there's no connection)

LOW LIBIDO

SPOTING

The period after STOPPING them:

BAD ACNE

INGROWN HAIR ON MY LEGS (I had marks on my legs for 1 year, it was horrible)

IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION FOR MONTHS

THINNING HAIR

HORMONAL IMBALANCE

Now, after 2 years of stopping, my body finally recovered from this POISON , I still have mild to moderate acne, but, otherwise I FEEL GREAT :)

Was amazing... for the first two years. Then my skin was worse than ever
Reviewed on September 26, 2014

I was prescribed Yasmin when I was 16 and began suffering from acne breakouts, as well as getting my first boyfriend. So this was a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Within a few months my skin cleared up great, and for around 2 and a half years / 3 until the age of 18 and a half / 19 my skin was great. I still had the occasional couple of small spots around the time of the month, but nothing I would ever consider a problem or any more than anyone with naturally good skin would have. I forgot what it was like to have to think about my skin and it was amazing!

However, when I was about to turn 19 my skin went CRAZY. And I mean crazy. And it was practically overnight. The whole bottom half of my face was covered in huge red spots and I spent weeks and weeks hysterically crying refusing to leave the house. I couldn't understand what was happening, I was still taking my Yasmin properly which had kept my skin so beautiful for so long!?

After trying many topical treatments and antibiotics alongside my Yasmin I went to see a dermatologist as I was so confused about how this had literally happened overnight to my skin. The doctors told me that my hormones had changed and these were no longer the right set for my 19 year old self. I have now switched to Dianette nearly 2 months ago and it seems as if things are slowly but surely calming back down, the turnaround is amazing. I'm not quite there yet, but its dramatically better.

Yasmin is a great pill for controlling slightly messed up hormones, but beware, if you're prone to acne Yasmin probably will not control seriously messed up hormones and you may find you have to switch to something stronger such as Dianette. If you have serious acne, my advice would be to just go straight on Dianette. It takes too long for BCP's to kick in without having to waste time trying this one first.

Caused Horrible Effects Coming Off
Reviewed on August 6, 2014

Took this (in generic Ocella form) from ages 19-23. It worked great on my acne, but when I was 22 I developed migraines and high blood pressure, a risk factor for having a stroke on Yasmin. When I went off it, it caused horrible cystic acne, worse than anything I had before, that has been dominating my life for the past two years, as well as the loss of 1/3 of my hair and horrible mental effects (crying, extreme anxiety and sadness) as well as weight gain. PLEASE look around on the post-pill breakout forums, or just google "acne after stopping Yasmin" before taking this. It is a horrible drug and there is no way to avoid the bad effects when you stop, which you'll have to do eventually. DO NOT use hormonal birth control for acne, it just makes it worse in the end. Should come with a warning label: you'll look great while you take it, but be bald and cystic when you come off...

Brilliant!
Reviewed on July 24, 2014

Yasmin cleared my 'mild' acne that although I was told didn't show and was nothing,caused me a great deal of distress. Dianette did not work at all and spironolactone had stopped being as effective. The only bother I have us during my weeks break which I quite often skip now. Highly recommended. Took a a few weeks to show full improvement but never got worse.

Yasmin and cutting out dairy has cleared my acne
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

After suffering from acne since 13 years of age, now 27! I had almost given up hope on finding something out there to clear up my cystic acne. I started Yasmin a year and a half ago.I had been reading reviews and reasearch and decided to cut out dairy as well. No milk whatsoever. Girls be patience as it does take 6 months to clear up, and it does get worse before it gets better! I believe this works for hormonal related acne which for me was from me cheeks down my neck. In the past iv tried roaccutane, (worst drug ever) every topical treament, diet, every antibiotic, spent £500 on laser treatment. My skin is clear, not one spot. I definitely recommend it but give it a good 6 months or so and no milk!!

Horrible
Reviewed on February 15, 2014

I know a lot of reviews are saying wait it out but I'm on to week 3 and I've never had acne like this before. I refuse to leave the house!! ...and new deep, red, painful, cystic spots on my chin and jawline are being added by the second. Not to mention the nausea I experienced and cramp I had in my legs. Not worth it! I'm stopping today. I used another BC which made my skin flawless but I looked 6 months preg with the bloating and I'm seriously considering that again

It's working
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

I was taking NOVIAL last year, (not for acne). My skin was clear in a month. but I didn't know it was because of the pill. Then I stopped taking them because it caused me migraine. This year I had the worst break out of my life, because I'm about to finish my career and I'm very stressed (stress = high androgen levels). So, I decided to take a low dose pill. "Yasmin". I have been on it for 2 weeks and my skin is getting better. For experience I know my acne it's hormonal, (hereditary) my sister had acne and as soon she started to take birth pills, her skin cleared up. So I suggest you, you must not take the pill at least you know your acne is essentially hormonal. It can causes you some issues.

I will post later to keep you informed :)

Made my acne 100000 million times worse
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

Before I started this pill I didn't suffer with skin as badly as I do now. I had mild acne, however this caused severe cystic acne especially around my jaw it was horrendous. My derm told me to stop it was causing so much harm.

my experience on ocella-generic version of yasmin
Reviewed on August 3, 2013

About three years ago I got the Mirena IUD put in and this was the worst thing to ever happen. Right after I started getting horrible break outs and I never broke out in the past. So finally three months ago I go it taken out. My gyno recommended that I get on the pill because it helps with acne. So I started taking ocella (generic version of yasmin) my skin has been a little rocky and is no where near perfect. I'm about to go into my fourth packet and I feel like my skin isnt the best it could be. I am going to wait and see but I am tired of feeling self conscious about my skin!

Could have killed me and makes acne worse afterwards
Reviewed on August 1, 2013

I took Ocella (generic Yasmin) from the ages of 19-23. Before that I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo from the ages of 16-19. I only was put on the Yasmin because when I tried to quit Ortho I broke out terribly (only ever had mild acne). What they don't tell you is that when you go OFF birth control pills, your acne often gets MUCH worse than it ever was, because it does such unnatural things to your hormones. Google around and look at the acne after the pill thread on here, you will find a million horror stories of women who took the pill, went off, then developed severe cystic acne.

After about 4 years on Yasmin I noticed that I couldn't think straight, always had debilitating headaches, and my muscles were weak even though I worked out a lot. My doctor said that the Yasmin was causing my migraines, and that developing migraines while on the Pill meant I was at an increased risk of having a stroke.

Stopping it was hell. I had no idea what I was getting into. I lost at least 1/3 of my hair and had a receding hairline. My hair started growing in gray in places. I had uncontrollable acne that did not respond to BP or extreme elimination diets and supplements. It took about 6 months before my body started feeling normal-ish again and a year before I tamed the acne with Atralin (a brand of tretonin).

Don't mess with this stuff, or any pill. Try the copper IUD or some other non hormonal method if you need BC. It is just not worth the risk to your body and skin.

by staceyf on 05/08/2014 11:23
did your hair grow back? hairline back to normal? I am experiencing the same problem
by glitznzits on 08/08/2014 16:59
oops! i forgot the password to that acct. so I made a new one... yes my hair grew back, that is the good news :) I started seeing baby hairs growing in at about 6 months and 6 months after that they were long enough that my stylist cut them and some of my normal hair into bangs, and you couldn't tell at all.