Yasmin Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 731 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

21 yellow tablets
3 mg drosperinone and 0.03 mg ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients:
lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF. The white inert film-coated tablets contain lactose monohydrate NF, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

7 white inert film-coated tablets
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Yasmin Oral Contraceptive

Finishing first pack... acne is only getting worse
Reviewed on June 13, 2017

Asking a question for people who this pill worked for clearing acne: was it normal that acne became more active in the first month? ive been on accutane a year ago, so having pimples again is painful... however, they arent cystic or anything its bearable.... but my skin has been getting worse, should i keep taking the pill or ditch it?

by PuzzledFace on 06/19/2017 15:45
keep taking it. That is definitely not long enough to see if it will work for you. You have to hang in there as difficult as it is.
So far so good but some fatigue
Reviewed on June 12, 2017

My 17 year old daughter has struggled with acne for years and we have tried virtually everything including accutane (which she was pulled off of because her liver enzymes spiked). Nothing has lasted. She had tried the pill previously (Ortho tricycline I believe) but she started to break out worse and gain weight immediately so she was too discouraged to continue past about a month and a half. She has just started yasmin. She did have an initial breakout towards the end of the first week through the second week. There were a few days that it was pretty bad. A lot of small whiteheads all over. By the third week that breakout stopped and she is clearing nicely. She is into the first month's placebo pills now and actually went without makeup yesterday and did not feel like people would be staring at her (her words). She is definitely healing now but has a ways to go. Lots of red healing marks and a few small pimples left but the initial breakout seems to be over (fingers crossed). She is very encouraged and feels like this will work for her and she will finally be clear with smooth skin. Luckily initial breakout was short lived. The only side effect she is having is that she is very tired. Nothing else. No weight gain, no headaches, etc. Did anyone else have this tiredness? I am wondering if it will go away after awhile or if she will just have to deal with it the whole time and if so if there is anything she can do to try to help mitigate her fatigue.

by sophiek1 on 06/13/2017 07:45
Hello, I will be finishing my first pack of Lucette tomorrow 14/06/2017 ( Lucette is the same as Yasmin but cheaper brand). So far I have had awful tiredness - as an example before I started on Lucette I was able to go to bed early and wake up ready to start the day. Now I go to bed at the same time and struggle to wake up. I also feel like I could take naps throughout the day, I'm hoping this will wear off. My experience so far is that I had awful stomach pains within the first few weeks these seem to of worn off now but my acne is the worst it has been for a long time. I'm hoping by the next pack my skin will start to calm down and clear up - if not i'll be going back to the doctors to try another pill. I have previously been on Dianette which suited me and my acne perfectly however they don't like you staying on that for an extensive period of time as there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots (we're talking marginal).
by PuzzledFace on 06/19/2017 15:42
I specifically got the real yasmin for my daughter because I had seen a few posts about some people having issues with some of the generics. She just started her 2nd pack last night. She was less tired on the placebo pills. She has also now started to feel like her boobs got a little bigger. She says they are not sore just a little bigger and she doesn't seem to have gained any weight. She had worse cramps than normal with her period and it seemed to last most of the week so hopefully she will adjust to that. She is still very hopeful that her skin will keep improving.
WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY!
Reviewed on April 9, 2017

So I'm 20 and I decided to begin Yasmin for my moderate acne a month ago. I am just starting pack two tomorrow. My skin has never been so good EVER. Honestly from day one it worked for me with absolutely so initial break out (well so far anyway!) I have got the odd spot here and there but they are very easy to deal with that I don't complain at all! This is completely worth it! I must admit I did get a few headaches at the beginning maybe first two to three weeks but other than that it's been fantastic! Definitely worth a try if your struggling like I have for the past 5 years! I've tried EVERYTHING, topical treatments, anti biotics (which worked for a year then acne came back), dianette was no good for me but Yasmin by far has been clearing my acne remarkably!

by Courtneymar97 on 04/18/2017 22:23
UPDATE!! So I'm into my second pack and on week 6. I did have a small flare up of maybe 3 or 4 spots, not big ones though in the past week, but I am hoping this is just part of an initial breakout! I'll keep updating guys!
by Courtneymar97 on 06/14/2017 00:46
UPDATE 2 - I'm now finished pack 4! Skin is very clear! I think now I would call my skin "normal". I still get maybe I spot or two within a month but just a small one along the jawline or maybe close to my hairline on my forehead but literally gone within two days! I am very happy with my results so far and I hope that it continues to clear even more!! My hyperpigmentation is also fading too a lot!! Especially on my cheeks where I used to break out and since taking yasmin I have never ever got a spot there since! Couldn't be happier!
It did clear my acne, but...
Reviewed on October 14, 2016

I have been on this pill for almost 10 years. I thought it was the only way I could be acne free, but six months ago I decided to quit it, I simply couldn't take the side effects anymore... of course my acne came back eventually and it was like a nightmare to be dealing with it again, so after a lot of research i finally cleared it naturally, and I couldn't be happier...

I have stopped drinking coffee, dairy and eat less sugar.

Take zinc 30 mg every night (make sure to have it with food, otherwise you will feel nauseated).

Vitamin D3 1000 U

I also apply a topic antibiotic everyday with Clidamycin 1%. I just apply it on my chin where I tend to break out more.

For a deep cleansing of my pores a try to go steam room at least 3 times a week, it is so relaxing and effective... but make sure to wash your face well before hand and take all traces of make up first. My skin gets super clean and I love that this practice also has anti aging benefits, due to the fact of blood flowing and bringing oxygen and nutrients to your skin

I also use Saline solution 0.9% as a toner after washing my face morning and night, it recovers the natural PH of the skin, close pores, control Oiliness and give me a nice glow, with the advantage of being chemical free and super affordable.

I hope it helps.

by RikiMe on 10/27/2016 10:11
Thank you! This is very useful as I'm going off the pill now and dreading the acne coming back... To all the girls out there, don't go on the pill only because of acne, it's not worth it. It's a temporary solution, the acne will come back whenever you decide to stop taking the pill. I know it's difficult to deal with it but after years on the pill I have realised how much it has messed with my body. It's not worth it. Could you give any more details on your diet? Why did you decided to go with zinc and vitamin d? I have done some research too and I'm convinced most acne can improve a lot based on the diet. Thank you!
by Claudi on 11/04/2016 07:03
Hey! Glad you found it helpful... When I went off the pill and my acne started coming back I got so desperate about it that I would spent days and days on the internet reading about everything that could be good or bad for acne and at some point I came across a website called "clearskinforever", it seems like they have done some serious research of how to clear your skin naturally and they explain all details of why certain kinds of foods are acne trigger while others are good to prevent and treat it, so that is where I got most of my tips from. Take a look on it :). I wish you the best of luck
by Claudi on 11/04/2016 07:05
[link removed]
Research first!
Reviewed on October 27, 2016

I had acne when I was a teenager and it didn't improve with time. I tried antibiotics, creams, gels... Nothing seemed to work.A dermatologist told me to try the pill, and in my desperation to clear my skin, I did. Worst mistake ever. I took yasmin and the skin improved, cleared, but I stopped after 3 months and the acne came back MUCH worse! It was so bad it affected me psychologically, I was in uni at the time and I really struggled to leave home and go to class. I hated my face. It was even swollen by the amount of spots! Then I took roaccutane. It's a really strong treatment, it can affect you organs and made me depressed, my skin was dramatically dry, I got my first wrinkles (yay!), my lips were so dry that something they would cut when I smiled. Even so, it worked, my skin was much better at the end, clear. I was left with lots of scars but no marks. After stoping the treatment, a bit of acne came back. Not as bad as before, but it did. The doctor told me that my acne was hormonal so it could only be controlled with the pill. I started taking Dretinelle (basically same as yasmin, which I didn't know). I've been on it for years, and I'm now going off it. I'm stopping today. I'm gonna take some food suplements and look after my diet really well, and go back to topical creams. My skin might not be great but the pill isn't worth it. Plus it stopped working for my skin. The pill has so many risks, ended up giving me palpitations and arrhythmia, and very strong headaches. My sex drive is gone. And something that not many people know, is that even though Yasmin helps clear the skin while taking it, it has an ingredient that makes your skin go wild once you stop. Google it. But honestly, don't take it.

Yasmin
Reviewed on May 9, 2016

About to start my break week of Month 3 (so 7 days until month 4), and my skin is still not clear. The first month my skin was really smooth (am also taking Tetralysal and started that a month before Yasmin), month two my skin became extremely bumpy with skin coloured bumps, and now my skin is a little less bumpy but I'm starting to get quite a few whiteheads and getting a lot more spots than in the first month and my skin is still quite oily. Fingers crossed things improve in month 4....

Anyone else have a similar experience?

by sansettokirei on 10/09/2016 13:56
I have the same experience. I'm on my 2nd month and have gained almost 5kg. Acne got worse than first month :(
its good
Reviewed on May 7, 2016

"I've been on Yasmin for 3 years, and I have absolutely loved it. 3 day light periods, significantly cleared up my acne, lost weight, my breasts looked great! , no mood swings. no any side effects!

Doesn't work in the long run
Reviewed on May 1, 2016

I started taking these pills and switched over brands, all with Drospirenone for about 8 years (Jasmin, Jasminiq, Femelle and Yaxibelle). It was only for birth control, I got some black or whiteheads from time to time but nothing serious.

After I stopped taking them I had an adult acne, awful and painful, product of the prolonged use of this type of pills (my gyn told me so). I would say that as long as you take them your skin and hair would look great, it's an amazing contraceptive but after you stop taking the pill all hell can break loose... Now I've tried many natural remedies (vitamins, masks, etc), and finally decided to try another contraceptives with another component diferent than Drospirenone, so I don't have the same reaction when I want to be off the pill.

Obviously, it depends on each person, but it quite a common issue with drospirenone, so if you're taking this and want to check, talk to your doctor.

If you have any questions send me a message, I'm starting the log for the new pills....

This pill gave me my life back.
Reviewed on March 31, 2016

My skin is finally clearing up. Havent had a big pimple in 2 months. My skin is also no longer oily. I can finally feel confident, and dont have to stay inside my home like a hermit. I have also lost weight, boobs have grown and my periods are less painful. The only problem is getting off this pill, which i know ill have to sometime in the future. I dont want my old face back.

by snarkygirl on 07/15/2016 01:49
How long did it take to work?
by Charlie Richards on 06/09/2017 12:07
When did you first start seeing results and did you have an Initial outbreak?
Give it a try
Reviewed on February 12, 2016

So I'm 20 I have had acne since I was 10 years old. I've been on all the forms of antibiotics available from the NHS for acne, all topical treatments and i've been on Roaccutane/Isotretinoin twice and did a half course so was on that for a year and a half split up into different time periods. I've used all the types of contraception injection, patch & three different types of the pill. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me, ever. I honestly really advise trying this; you might be apprehensive reading reviews because every person is different and has different re actions to pills but if you have cystic or bad acne and are looking for a solution this is it. You have to stick to it though; skin gets a little bit worse before it gets better but then it really clears up :)

by Nbbbb on 09/09/2016 17:29
How long was the period it got bad for and did it happen straight away?? How long after going on this till ur skin cleared up X