Page 3 of Vitamin D reviews

Vitamin D

Vitafusion Vitamin D3, 2000 IU, Gummy Vitamins, 150 ea
updated: 07/29/2014 10:54 UTC

Reviewed on June 14, 2011

I wanted to comment on Vitamin D after I've been using it for awhile and would have a strong basis for an accurate review. Although I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews I wonder how many of these will change after a longer period of use. Whether it be the placibo effect, randomness of your acne cycles, whatever, vitamin D had no real benefit for me.

I'm a white male in my early 30s with mild/moderate acne. I had bad acne in high school; Accutane was the only solution I found, but after a 10 year period of relatively clear skin, I've now been experiencing the occasional breakouts. Before I go back to Accutane, I wanted to see if there were cheaper and less 'last resort' methods of cleaning up my skin. Initially I tried Vitamin D with fish oil, then just vitamin D on it's own with a generalized multi-vitamin I had already been taking. In the first few weeks I thought Vitamin D was working, but after 5-6 weeks my skin reverted back to where it was pre-vitamin D, so I discontinued it after 60 days.

Maybe this worked for others, it had no positive effects for me; since this is an 'acne forum' I'm rating it a 2 out of 5. Feel free to give it a shot, what the hell, it's cheap - just don't expect miracles.

I'm gonna try that acne script next, so look for my review there in a few months, lol!

Reviewed on June 14, 2011

I take 10,000 ui of vitamin a day and in the first week i noticed a deffinite change in my skin. My skin is so smooth now after only 2 weeks and no acne at all!

Reviewed on May 30, 2011

Tried this for 8 days. I believe that if something is meant to work, it should work within a week. I tried this for a week, and I was still breaking out throughout the time I trialled this...

Just in case your wondering, I'm someone that wish to achieve a CURE (100% clear), and not something that just improves the situation a little.

Just writing this in case someone is being bought into all the positive reviews.

Reviewed on May 19, 2011

I have seen an improvement in my skin since I started taking 3000 IU daily about 2 weeks ago. Make sure its D3...I am going add another 1000 or 2000 IU and see what happens. I am taking the Sundown Naturals brand softgels, bought them at Food Lion.

Reviewed on May 19, 2011

I'v suffered with acne for as long as I can remember. Probably ever since I started going threw puberty. Its had a huge affect on my self-esteem growing up. I always hoped I would one day grow out of it but being 21 years of age now and still suffering with acne is tough. My acne was under control for a little while up until about 8 months ago ... My skin broke out with cystic acne all over. It was an on going thing for about 6 months. It was like I couldn't control it. One would go away and two more would appear. Iv always noticed that in the summer months my skin appears more clear... the only difference between summer and winter is vitamin D. Well that and I think everyone is a little more ... happier in the summer months. So I began taking 1000 IU of vitamin D 2x a day among a few other things. My face and back acne both seem to be clearing up so I am convinced the vitamins are working. I am going to up my dose as of today to 3000 IU a day and see if there is more improvement, seeing as I'm unsure of the daily recommended amount ... &nd don't want to over do it. I would recommend this to anyone ... there is no harm in it. Thats the beauty in all natural products<3

Reviewed on March 28, 2011

All right, let's get this straight. I've suffered from moderate acne for 7 years now. Im 19, and I've tried every acne remedy you can think of. From over the counter/perscription stuff to homemade remedies like egg yolks and honey and sea salt. Even supplements like fish oil and zinc. Nothing worked. I had been seriously considering accutane until I came across a post by a guy on a fitness board I go to, claiming vitamin d to be the greatest supplement ever pretty much. I decided to give it a go.

let me tell you, it hasn't even been A WEEK and my face is nearly CLEAR. That's 100% clear, in less than a week. Not even exaggerating. This stuff is amazing. Seriously. I take 12,000 IU a day and it works great. I split it at 4000 3x a day. Keep in mind that the RDA is usually full of $#!t when it comes to accessing your daily values for things. Your body absorbs roughly 10,000 IU of vitamin D just from being in the sun for a half an hour. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

Reviewed on February 5, 2011

My whole life I've had very good skin, maybe

3 pimples a month and I've always had very

slight problems with dryness. 5 months ago when my senior year started in the fall I started consistently breaking out and getting horrible dry skin at the same time. I cant use topical acne treatments because they make my skin so sensitive, so I just bought an aloe Vera plant and cut open the leaves and rubbed the gel on like lotion, which helped the dryness and flaking a little. But it got to the

point where my skin was constantly peeling

like a sunburn and I was breaking out horribly,

in places I've never broken out before in my

life like my forehead and chin. I had constant

anxiety ranging from a general sense of dread

to heart pounding semi anxiety attacks. I also

had sensitivity to blood sugar spikes after

meals.

I went to the doctor and she did blood tests. I was vitamin d deficient, and had been ever

since fall started. I took vitamin d and within half an hour I felt my mood just lift. It started slowly helping my skin. A week later I started

taking the capsules that come with vitamin d

and calcium together and the good results

tripled, my skin cleared up it's dryness and my

pimples were all gone. Unfortunately I started

birth control (still taking vit d and calcium at

the same time throughout) two days after my

skin got perfect and it made me break out

again. But I'm about to go off the BC and I

know my skin will go back to perfect and the

good mood the vit d gave has maintained

throughout taking the BC (about the only side

effect I haven't had with BC is mood swings,

I'm a poster child for all the others)

Actual bottom line:

Take the pills that come with vit d and calcium

together, otherwise your body won't absorb it

as effectively

It only worked for me cause my acne was

caused by d deficiency, if it doesn't work it

means you already have

Reviewed on January 15, 2011

today is my 5th day taking 2000iu of D3 once a day and for the first time since I began puberty I feel like something's worked. I'm a 21 year old male and I live in Minnesota where we have cold long winters and at least for me, my acne gets bad in the winter and clears up in the summer and I've honestly tried everything and after trial and many errors I went to a derm who prescribed me with minocyclin, differin 3.0 for night and clindagel for morning and I don't use any moisturizer because I don't like all that sh*t on my face. I still use all of the above....

Vitamin D3=lack of painful cysts

Try it. Bottom line, vitamin D is good for you as long as you don't OD on it and if it could cure your acne like it has mine there's no risk unlike accutane.

If you think you might be lacking sunlight this is DEFINITELY worth your time.

Reviewed on January 8, 2011

In July 2010, I had gotten a huge, painful pimple just below my nose and couldn't figure out what caused it. Then, over the next 3 months, I had been breaking out even more on my nose and in that area below my nose but above my upper lip. Every time I had gotten a pimple under control, a new one formed. After coming across one of the message boards on this site in October 2010 ("Vitamin D... I'm finally clear!!"), it occurred to me that I hadn't been getting enough sunlight so I decided to start taking Vitamin D3 tablets. Well, they started working right away! I started out by taking 1,000 I.U. per day and the day after I started taking them, I hadn't broken out on my nose (pimples were popping up on my nose nearly every single day). I realized that the Vitamin D levels in my body were very low, so I upped the dosage. I also had to keep increasing the dosage because I kept getting pimples in the area between my nose and my upper lip. Right now, I take 13,000 I.U. per day because it's the winter time and there is practically no sunlight here, plus I'm usually at home all day since I'm looking for a job, so it's tough to get Vitamin D from the sun. As the weather gets warmer and I get out more, I'm definitely gonna lower that dosage, but for now, it works perfectly. In the past month and a half, I haven't gotten anymore pimples at all, so I know that a Vitamin D deficiency was causing my breakouts.

I would definitely recommend this to people. I don't think that it would hurt to try it, but I'd suggest starting out with a low dosage (maybe 1,000 or 2,000 I.U. per day) to experiment. If you notice that you are getting breakouts when you don't get enough sunlight, a Vitamin D deficiency could be the cause.

Reviewed on October 12, 2010

I had acne for ten years. Four times I had prescription medical treatment supervised by a dermatologist (twice Iso-tretinoin (accutane, roacuttan) and twice tetra-cyclin) with little or no help. I washed my face with anti-bacterical soaps till it was dry as a sand paper. I made an excel sheet to try to figure out causality of foods causing white heads or cysts. I've spent nearly 1000e to fix this.

Then this $12 little jar of Vitamin D 125µg (5000 IU) fixed it all. :))

Here in Finland we get very little sun light. The summer is short and I am at work during day-light hours. The state had made everything possible to ensure I don't get this vitamin. They lied, they put barriers.

The official recommendation for Vitamin D is 10µg/day. 50 is Toxic!! I read that doctors are legally bound to follow these recommendations. They can't prescribe more! (Not that they would even think of). The official recommendation is based on a pretty incompetent research decades old.

Pharmacies cannot sell pills with more than 10µg. Internet orders have sometimes been confiscated by customs: "Illegal! Contains Horse Dosages!"

Lessons Learned:

o Vitamin D Rocks!!!

o Incompetence everywhere.

o Do not trust anyone who claims to be an expert.

o Trust only good quality knowledge.

Also, I read from a research that vitamin D helps only in every third acne case. I guess it depends on what the source of the problem is.