Page 4 of Vitamin B5 reviews

3.7/5 - 281 reviews

Vitamin B5

Reviewed on September 26, 2012

I am an 18 year old college freshman and I have mild/ moderate acne and it's enough to make me obsess. I wanted to cure my acne SO badly so i started taking B5, I only got up to about 6 grams and only could stay on it for about 10 days because i've noticed my hair falling out A LOT! I am not trying to be a downer, i've heard this stuff works wonders and that losing hair is rare, but it does happen. I am stopping taking the vitamin today and hopefully my hair will thicken back up.

I also saw positive results for my oily skin and this is probably because I haven't been on it long enough! But i'm not going to lose my hair due to this vitamin.

Reviewed on September 19, 2012

early to judge but i think it has worked so far

Reviewed on September 14, 2012

Got the 1000mg pills from Swiss, think I got 90 for 15$, so not to bad. Started taking these a week before frosh week and noticed minor break outs after a day or two. Nothing that serious but still little more then usual. Stuck it out. These went away after about a week. The next week was frosh week, and me and my friends went out drinking every night, eating terrible food, sweating, raging, and passed out every night without a shower, something that would normally break me out badly, but every morning I woke up amazed at how unfazed my skin was. I have also been smoking weed almost daily for the past two weeks, something that would also cause my skin to break out badly, but nothing. I'm going to chill out and eat healthy, get more than 3 hours of sleep a night and cut back on the drinking. Considering how good my skin is doing it will look amazing if I do all that.

Basically, if my skin made it through these past 2 weeks with minimal break outs, this stuff is magic, and definitely a buy. Highly recommended by yours truly.

Reviewed on September 5, 2012

I take 10 500mg tablets a day (5 in morning and 5 in evening). So that's 5 grams. This whole time I thought I was taking 10 grams but just realised I don't. I guess 5g is enough for me. Anyway, it definitely works and make sure you take a b complex vitamin when you take b5. I use a mega b complex tablet in morning and night with the b5. I also take a zinc tablet once a day and sometimes vitamin e but not sure if its really doing much.

I highly recommend cetaphil as a cleanser in the shower. I tried QV but it dries my skin.

Im a 21 year old male and have had mild acne since 13 and have tried everything. This is the first thing that has worked for more than a week and is also the least time consuming.

Reviewed on August 23, 2012

Early twenties whole-life acne sufferer here.

I took accutane for 3 months, but had to stop due to side effects. I took accutane even thought I didn't have much acne, but when I got zits they lingered for too long. So I started to take B5 after reading reviews, and they were right. I take 2 grams morning and night, and my oil production has gone down (still get a bit of an oily nose when wake up), and zits are gone. I did get two tiny ones since taking B5 but they disappeared within 1 day and that never happened even during accutane. Accutane works but serious side effects (horrible headache and ringing in ear) do exist and so far (1 month in) B5 has worked amazingly well.

Oh and I highly recommend capsules over tablets, digests much better.

Reviewed on August 22, 2012

It took 3 months, but 3000 mg of B5 per day reduced my acne by 80%. I still get a few pimples around my period, but it's like night and day from before.

This worked better for me than Accutane (though it may not be a fair comparison because I couldn't tolerate Accutane for more than 2 months). I have tried almost everything regardless of cost or risks, and I'm so grateful to have found something safe and inexpensive that works so well for me. It may not work as well for you, but it's so worth a shot. $20 for a 3 month supply of TwinLab B5 on Amazon which is perfect for a trial run.

Reviewed on August 6, 2012

I'm 23 and have had moderate/occasionally severe acne since 18. I have had a very difficult time tracking down an effective acne treatment and prevention remedy for my sensitive caucasian skin. My skin's oil type is normal - a bit more oily in some places than others but neither too oily or too dry overall.

I have been taking this product for the last month or so and I have seen some dramatic improvements. My skin is absolutely perfect (zit-free) when I take my 10 grams a day (2.5g taken every 3-4 hours). The only time I get pimples now is when I consume excessive alcohol on the weekends. Yet, these breakouts consist of only 3 or so small pimples and heal quickly. They are a far cry from the extremely painful, deep cystic zits I used to get before starting B5 supplementation.

You need to continually take this product to maintain clear skin. Perhaps this is the biggest drawback, but I think this is definitely not a bad price to pay for acne-free skin.

Reviewed on July 14, 2012

It's a miracle that I never thought I would ever find! The only other time my skin was clean was during a round of accutane. This is unbelievable to me, I keep looking at my skin in the magnifying mirror and feeling the subcutaneous cysts. It has only been one week so I am thrilled to keep going and see how much everything will improve.

by Melie87 on 06/12/2013 02:18
Hey how much did you take? I am taking 3 grams a day, 1 in the morning, noon and dinnertime.
Reviewed on June 28, 2012

I used B5 consistently for one week. I took 2 1000mg time-release pills in the morning and 2 more at night. By the third day I had noticed minor stomach discomfort, and by the fifth day I was waking up to small pustules popping up all over the place. This breakout continued for the next couple of days, at which point I stopped taking B5 altogether. My skin returned to it's normal baseline within two days of stopping the B5 (light acne, but not at the severity brought about by the B5).

The B5 did not nothing for my oil production either within that week, although I recognize that my dosage and length of treatment was not comparable to what most people here are doing (although according to reviews for this product on Amazon, many people are successful with 4-6 grams of B5 per day). I wanted to start out slowly, and given the reaction my skin had to B5, I'm glad I did.

Lots of people report success with B5, so I think this might be worth exploring for many acne sufferers, but it only made my skin noticeably worse. I would recommend starting out with a reasonable dosage; I found Amazon reviews for B5 to be much more helpful than the typical extreme recommendations made on this site.

Best of luck to you.

Reviewed on June 24, 2012

I noticed an improvement within days of using pantothenic acid. I currently take 2 grams of pan acid a day, 1 gram with breakfast and 1 with dinner, along with a b-50 pill. Kal Pan makes a timed release version so that you only need to take two big pills a day, and this seems to work more consistently as well. I would recommend this supplement to anyone who is experiencing severely oily skin