Page 2 of Vitamin B5 reviews

3.7/5 - 284 reviews

Vitamin B5

Only thing that has worked for me.
Reviewed on November 13, 2013

I used vitamin B5, also called Pantothenic Acid, daily a couple of months ago. However, I ran out and did not buy anymore because my skin was in great condition and I figured that I no longer needed it. Recently, I broke out very badly and tried multiple products in order to get my acne under control (minocycline, epiduo, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, home remedies, you name it). After a few weeks of using these products, my acne was not getting any better. Then one day I remembered about B5! After about 3 days of use I noticed a major difference! Oil production decreased, blemishes decreased, and my face was becoming much clearer. I recommend taking 10g daily (20 500mg pills) for the first few weeks, and then over time decrease this dosage to 4g daily (8 500mg pills) as a maintenance dose. Also, it is good to space out the pills evenly throughout the day (I took 5 when I woke up, 5 early afternoon, 5 late afternoon, and 5 before bed). Doing so will diminish the possibility of experiencing side effects, which may include upset stomach and stomach pains. The best part about B5 is that it is water soluble, meaning that you cannot overdose on it because the body will simply remove the B5 that it cannot use through urination.

How B5 works:

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is a component of Coenzyme A. Coenzyme A is necessary for hormone production as well as fatty acid metabolism. During puberty, as hormone production increases, the body chooses to use coenzyme A to produce hormones and neglects fatty acid metabolism. Because the body uses coenzyme A for hormone production instead of fatty acid metabolism, sebum (skin oil) levels rise and acne follows. Supplementing with megadoses of vitamin B5 allows for enough circulating B5 to address both bodily processes, thus curing acne.

Why is everyone overdosing?
Reviewed on October 14, 2013

The recommended intake for adults is 5mg, you guys are talking about grams! Please do your research before taking that much. Too much of a good thing is always bad.

by Atherley on 10/23/2013 13:59
Its water soluble it doesn't matter if I take 10 grams, my body will use what it needs then the rest is flushed out. Thats why you take it 3-4 times a day and at high doses. Its nearly impossible to tell exactly how much your body needs so its encouraged to mega dose to make sure you get what your body needs. Dont hate the results, I've had severe acne and then I started this two years ago. Everyone now comments on how flawless and clear my skin is. Just sayin.
Don't waste your time.
Reviewed on August 8, 2013

I took 10 x 500 mg pills a day for one month. Five in the morning and five in the evening. I never noticed any difference in oil production. But it was doing something. My urine definitely became bright yellow and smelled awful. I had pretty significant indigestion as well. I have read some claims that you must take it at specific time intervals, with certain foods, and at greater amounts (sometimes even double what I was taking). That is just too inconvenient and not worth it to me. I can't schedule my life around taking pills like a addict all the time. On just one pill a day of accutane I can bath in mayo and still have perfect skin. And it is cheaper than taking b5. I also find it very hard to believe that taking this many pills of b5 long-term is a safer solution to accutane which produced far fewer side effects. Especially when I start reading about severe hair loss from b5 mega-dosing. That is a little more serious than cracked lips on accutane.

by Greedandlust on 11/21/2013 17:03
bright yellow urine? are you sure you are taking panthotenic acid and not a B-complex? sound like riboflavin to me. And what you are saying about the accutane/b5 sides effects is absolutely false. Please dont spread misleading information.
do your research!
Reviewed on June 29, 2013

this may seem like a godsent, but make sure you do your research before blindly trying this out.

sure, it can help with your acne and oily skin, even get rid of it all together -- but the price you might have to pay for it far exceeds acne. ever heard of telogen effluvium? google it up. megadosin on vitamin b5 for long, sometimes even only short periods will most likely reward you with this scalp disorder.

make sure you're ok with the risks before trying this out.

by MyManD on 07/06/2013 14:34
There's no conclusive proof vitamin b5 causes TE mainly because nobody really knows what actually does. It's just one of those conditions that happens to a wide variety of people for no definitive reason. So just because you got TE doesn't mean the b5 caused it. You're confusing causation with correlation.
by Atherley on 10/23/2013 14:02
I haven't noticed any hair loss, and I have been using this vitamin for two years in mega doses. Maybe its genes?
Reviewed on April 19, 2013

I'm 16 years old and started developing acne when I was around 12. It started on my forehead but then moved down to my chin and cheeks as I grew older. The acne on my forehead disappeared due to diet, but the amount of acne on my chin and cheeks was embarrassing. My mum found Vitamin B5 and told me to take it, I mean why not - it was worth a shot. Within days the amount of acne I had went down and I felt so much better! I took around 4 x 500 mg and its stopped almost all my breakouts! Definitely recommend this :)

Reviewed on April 11, 2013

I am a 21 year old male and I saw the reviews on b5 so I gave it a shot. At first I was shocked at how quick i was clearing my skin. about 2 weeks later I started to break out very bad. Thought it was just the "initial breakout" but after a month my face was full of cysts even in places I have never broken out in. In addition, it gave me terrible gas, and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours every night. Megadosing is not the solution. I had less side effects on accutane. Time to go back...

Reviewed on April 1, 2013

I just want to tell to those who found the vitamin b5 expensive that they should try to buy the powder version. Its much more cheaper.

Reviewed on March 30, 2013

I first used this after a terrible breakout and saw results within a week. the megadose caused bad hairloss, and to megadose it required a lot so was expensive

Reviewed on March 13, 2013

I had a pretty moderate case of acne, until I tried taking birth control for it, and it turned into a severe case of acne! I stopped taking the birth control after two months and started taking 7g of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) a day: 7 x 500 mg in the morning and 7 x 500 mg in the evening. On top of that, I take 100 000 I.U. of the vitamin Beta Carotene: 2 x 25000 I.U. in the morning and 2 x 25000 I.U. in the evening. I noticed improvements in my skin within one week and after about probably three weeks, my skin was perfectly clear! It's actually unbelievable and I definitely suggest you try both vitamins! I'm not sure if one of them is working, or the combination of both, but either way, there's no harm in taking them! I've been on them for about 6 months now and am very pleased with my skin!

Also, on a side note, I notice that when I drink coffee, my acne flares up. If you're a coffee drinker, you may want to try stopping for a week and see if your acne clears! My skin texture changes drastically once I stop drinking coffee.

Hope this helps and please do try it!

by Atherley on 10/23/2013 14:11
The caffeine in the coffee inhibits vitamin absorption by 20% within a 24 hour period of ingestion (hence why most diet pills have caffeine as a main ingredient). Being caffeine free helps any vitamin/food/herb/supplement be more effective, and you can also take less since you regained that missing 20%.
Reviewed on March 8, 2013

Please do not take this vitamin. I made the mistake of taking 2-3 grams for about 6 weeks and stopped when my hair started falling out.This was about 15 months ago now and my hair keeps getting worse I have lost about 75% of my hair.

by Atherley on 10/23/2013 14:08
I really think the hair loss is from something else. I have been taking this for two years and I haven't seen any hair loss.