Vinegar (as a topical)

Recommended by 90% of visitors

Average price: $3.74

Most helpful review

By Andrea, Newark, DE on 02/19/2013

I felt like nothing would clear my acne. I have tried many OTC products and prescription medications. I found an article about apple cider vinager. I decided to try it. It has been the most inexpensive and most effective treatment for my ance. I put it on my face full strength after washing and then use oxypads. The routine is drying, but my face is clear!! The main draw back is the smell. I think there is nothing to lose but everything to gain. Just try it..

Pros:
  • Clears up acne
  • Reduces redness of skin
  • Skin has more of a "glow"
Cons:
  • Smell
  • Can burn your eyes
  • Can dry out skin

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5%(50 grains) acidity.

Member reviews

By on

I've only been using this for a few weeks and man it cleared the Breakout I had on the side of my face and chin.it truly is a great home remedy to use for cheap!The smell is bad but when I put it on my face it actually doesn't leave that bad of a smell.I usually just use the acv just like that with no water.I think its better like that,well for me at least.I hope it continues on to work better and better.

Oh yeah I got the acv at trader Joe's for 1.49 very cheap then any other acne meds I ever gotten.

Pros

• Reduces pimples
  • Leaves skin smooth

Cons

• Smells gross
  • Can sting when using it pure
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 1.49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

IMPORTANT! Use a dilution first. Start with 9 parts water: 1 part apple cider vinegar eventually working your way up to a stronger concentration over time. Your skin is most likely going to be too sensitive to handle ACV without being diluted.

Pros

• Clears acne

Cons

• Smells terrible
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 3.49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

better to combine half of cider vinegar with half of cucumber juice. Keep apply in your acne area for 2 weeks and u will see the result. It works wonder on my skin

Pros

• cheap
  • work well for all skin type
  • fade scars

Cons

• takes time to see result
  • smell so... :((
  • for a few months
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I never had an acne problem growing up. However, after I went on birth control for medical reasons, I experienced the worst breakout of my life all over my face. Being 20 years old and never having had an acne problem, of course I was desperate. I ditched the pills and began a grueling journey to get rid of my acne. For many months, I tried everything - Obagi products (helped immensely with old scarring but not my acne itself), a rainbow of topical ointments from my dermatologist, organic face washes/toners, drinking aloe vera juice, supplements, changing my grooming habits, natural remedies like lemon juice and honey masks...only with slight results. Nothing worked quite like apple cider vinegar! I began to use it only a few weeks ago, religiously (morning and night after face was washed) and noticed results after about a week! I tried to use it both as a toner and as a shot to drink. It's awful to drink, so I'll be doing that minimally (I still recommend it, because it couldn't hurt) but as a toner, it totally healed my skin! And people, my acne was stubborn hormonal acne, so you know this stuff is good! Combined with dry ice treatments (available at select dermatologist offices; basically sloughs off dead skin and dries existing acne), I am now almost acne free after many months of agony. I still use a topical ointment (Veltin) after I apply the vinegar just to be safe, but I know the main reason my skin is now healthy is due to the vinegar. I can't sing enough praises about it. If you're struggling with acne, try apple cider vinegar. It's definitely worth a shot. Good luck to all of you!

Pros

• Cleared up my troubled skin!
  • Leaves skin looking very soft/clean after use as a toner
  • Cheap
  • All natural!

Cons

• Smells awful and tastes even worse. But still, if it clears your skin, it's worth it! And it goes away after a few minutes
  • A bit stingy at first
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I was skeptical of this one... I've tried everythingggg and got desperate...

I started to wash with Purpose cleanser and then apply (1 part ACV/1 part which hazel/3 part water) toner. Every few days Ill do a mask with Baking Soda as well.

I was so surprised to find that mixing a few drops of Jojoba oil in with my Olay Regenerist Serum makes a perfect mixture! I apply this before my foundation in the AM. I hardly do any touch ups or blotting all day, and I have a healthy glow again.

I tried doing the 'drinking it' thing for a few days, but decided topical may be the better way to go for the results I wanted :) no complaints other than the smell

Pros

• Easy
  • Affordable (4.99 @ Trader Joes)
  • Wonderful!

Cons

• STINKYYYY
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 4.99
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i have severe acne on my back. been with it for over 10 years. i tried the usual medication prescribed by doctors but nothing helped so i gave up.

i came upon this site and decided to try the solution. i have been using ACV (mixed with water and tea tree oil) for two weeks now and so far i like what i'm seeing.

my blackheads were completely wiped off and my back is smoother. the scars have not disappeared yet but some became lighter. there is about 30% improvement on my skin since i began using it. however, the acne still would not stop. about one or two would still pop up. But there is definitely improvement.

Pros

• reduces blackheads
  • evens skin texture

Cons

• smells really bad
  • severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

ACV has greatly helped with my acne! I started off using it undiluted which was of course silly... my skin was red for days of course. Then I started diluting it 1:1 with water and it is much much better. It felt far more natural. I still apply undiluted acv with a cotton bud onto active pimples without touching the skin around the pimple. It instantly reduces the redness and visible white tip of the pimple (not sure what to call it :) I use it as a toner, so after cleansing. Mostly in the evenings to avoid smelling of vinegar during the day, but if I am at home I will use it twice a day and it works miracles.

Pros

• works GREAT :)
  • cheap
  • 1 bottle goes a long way

Cons

• smelly until it dries
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

ACV is a real miracle worker. I swear by it. I have seen it cure extremely severe skin conditions. I absolutely adore it. And it's not something you depend on. I started having acne was I was 13. I didn't discover ACV until I was 25. I started drinking it and in just a few weeks my skin cleared up. Now I don't drink it anymore and my skin is still fine. But I drink it. I tried applying it to my skin, but that didn't really work for me.

Pros

• It cleared up my skin in no time
  • Help you lose weight!
  • The most effective product I've ever used

Cons

• The taste is strong (if you are drinking it)
  • And if you are applying it directly to your skin in doesn't smell very nice at all
  • for a few months
  • $ 2
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I took the bad with the good here. Honestly, after taking Minocin gave me folliculitis, I couldn't figure out what to do to make it go away. Fortunately, my GP gave me Bactrim and I began putting apple cidar vinegar, and then later plain white distilled vinegar on my acne effected areas. It worked wonders!!

I could see and feel the vinegar bubbling up and killing bacteria, and that sensation only lasted a few seconds. While it did kill off the bacteria with the help of Bactrim, it also left the acne and folliculitis effected areas darker, as if the skin was dead. But that was fine, because a week or so later, the skin was loose enough that I could just scrub it away and the skin underneath was like BRAND NEW, SOFT, CLEAR baby skin. The marks took a while to heal but my skin was def healthier.

I tried drinking down ACV and that's just gross. I can't even shot the stuff....so I just applied it topically.

My acne was once severe but now it is nonexistent, so I just put "very light"

Pros

• Clears up folliculitis, kills bacteria, VERY inexpensive. You don't have to buy some specialty, organic mumbo jumbo for this to work. Just go to the grocery store and get regular old vinegar or apple cider vinegar, nothing fancy.

Cons

• Burns
  • Can burn skin and leave it dark
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • $ 1.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

im glad that i tried using braggs acv for my acne. synergistic effect is achieved when it is applied topically as astringent and when it is taken internally daily. it dries up acne, makes pores smaller and overall gives a glowy clear clean smooth face.

Pros

• best results achieved when you drink and apply acv
  • dries up acne, but not overnight

Cons

• smell, use only at night
  • stings if used full strength. dilute.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.