Vinegar (as a topical)

Recommended by 90% of visitors

Average price: $3.74

Most helpful review

By Andrea, Newark, DE on 02/19/2013

I felt like nothing would clear my acne. I have tried many OTC products and prescription medications. I found an article about apple cider vinager. I decided to try it. It has been the most inexpensive and most effective treatment for my ance. I put it on my face full strength after washing and then use oxypads. The routine is drying, but my face is clear!! The main draw back is the smell. I think there is nothing to lose but everything to gain. Just try it..

Pros:
  • Clears up acne
  • Reduces redness of skin
  • Skin has more of a "glow"
Cons:
  • Smell
  • Can burn your eyes
  • Can dry out skin

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5%(50 grains) acidity.

Member reviews

By on

Pros

• Inexpensive, easy/quick application, noticed results after first use- dries out pimples and vanished blackheads- skin almost completely care and skin tone- amazing :) I wash my face gently with Cetaphil face was then apply ACV let dry and apply my face lotion

Cons

• As most people wrote the smell- after first use, more tolerable when it becomes part of skin care regimen- can make eyes water- don't apply excessive Amount to skin so it- to prevent it from dripping into eyes -
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 0.96
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It stings like a mother, but in a medicinal way. I didn't mind the smell as long as it helped my acne, others in the house complained though. I would apply apple cider vinegar with a cotton ball a few nights a week. For a few weeks I thought it was helping slightly, or at least not hurting, but after a while it would actually make me break out after each time I applied it. Not sure why that happened but I stopped.

Pros

• Cheap, may already be in your pantry, if it doesn't work on your face you can still cook with it

Cons

• Stinks
  • Stings
  • Caused breakouts
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 4.75
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've tried applying apple cider vinegar to my back, chest, shoulders, and face. So far, it seems to work okay. It slows breakouts down but doesn't eliminate them. It seemed to make my face acne practically disappear within two days or so, but we'll see. I apply it to the areas with a cotton ball, allow it to dry and wash in the morning, or leave on for a few hours and wash off.

I will start a regimen and update in a few weeks.

Pros

• Seems to calm acne down
  • Easy to apply
  • Cheap!
  • Natural

Cons

• Strong smell (My eyes water a lot when applied to my face!)
  • May not work long term
  • Not entirely effective (Aggressive enough for bad acne breakouts)
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 1.5

By on

This is amazing and I read about it here. I cannot find the post I read to thank the person (they had left their e-mail) but it works best for me as she suggested. I use the apple cider vinegar as an astringent and then I use a VERY small amount of coconut oil right after. It is a natural antibacterial I guess. The first time I did it I had a cyst on my chin. The acv made it start to come to a head right before my eyes. I went for the coconut oil right away anyway and it started to get better right away! I did not expect either thing to work at all much less like that but I had them both so I figured I would try it. I believe she also suggested to avoid whitening toothpastes (for chin breakouts) but that may have been someone else.

So I wash with Dove soap (dermatologist recommended that), use the acv straight as an astringent and then follow immediately with coconut oil. The acv is store brand but the coconut oil is like a $10 thing from a health food store. And a jar that size would last forever with the little bit you have to use.

I have had acne for more than 25 years on and off but only off for several years after accutane and now in my 40's it is back again. Regular dermatologist treatment did not work and was $30 plus $30 copay.

Pros

• Works great when followed with coconut oil! This is probably the best my skin has ever been.

Cons

• Stings a little, smells like vinegar of course
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had gorgeous clear skin in my teens but once I hit my mid 20s my skin went haywire. I spent thousands on facials, peels, medications , fancy cleansing routines, vitamins, better eating habits, drinking more water than I think is in the Pacific and NOTHING I mean NOTHING worked. The only thing that slightly helped was steaming my face at home every night for ten minutes. Until my mom told me about ACV. She had used it when she was younger and said it helped so I should give it a go. I have been using it now for a week and haven't seen my skin this clear since I was in my early 20s. I am so excited to see the changes over the next several wks of usage. It is worth the try!!! It is cheap! I use a lot so I'm suspecting it will cost me roughly 10 dollars a month, it could be way less for others! :-)

Pros

• quick solution to clear acne

Cons

• a little stinky but doesn't bug me
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

THIS IS AN UPDATE! I posted my history a few posts below. It did work for me for about a month. I think skin just gets use to topical remedies and always ends up beating them.

I think if I lay off of the vinegar and use something else for a few weeks it will most likely work again. I still say it works great though, when it does work HA!

Pros

• Skin still smooth.(worked for acne at first, but acne came back)
  • Cheap.
  • Will work again if I stop using for awhile (alternate)

Cons

• It stopped working for my acne after a month.
  • Irritates my pimples now.
  • Oily skin came back.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 3

By on

; im 14, & being a teenager you go through a lot of hormonal changes :\ and so i started breaking out.. i have a lot of white heads and apple cider vinegar works well for my white heads. i use it as a toner after using my green tea cleanser that i made myself. just a green tea packet and water! but yeah. i leave it on overnight & wake up w/ great results.

definetly reccomended

Pros

• ; works as a great toner
  • ; clears acne

Cons

• ; probably the worst smell ever that is used for your face ! hahaha !
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm in my 40's and my hormones are all out of whack...I have been getting the typical acne bumps along the jawline/hairline/neck and on the chin...I guess you could classify it as moderate acne breakouts. My doc wanted me to try spironolactone, but I am hesitant to use oral meds (especially after reading some of the side effects) so I opted for topical treatment. I have been using Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (with "The Mother") undiluted on my face twice daily...and it is working very well. Although some people dilute it with water, I find I don't need to....it doesn't irritate my skin at all (this might be because my skin has built up a tolerance to glycolics and Retin-A). I use it after I cleanse my face in the am and before I put on Dan's BP. At night, I use it after I cleanse and before I apply my Retin-A. I have also started to drink a little bit daily (mixing it in my water). The little bumps are going away and my pores appear smaller...and it's only been a week. I hope with long term usage it continues to work. It also helps control oil in the T-zone area. As a side note, I got a really bad sunburn on my legs...and used this on it. It took the sting out immediately and healed it quickly. I think it is important when buying to get the kind that has "The Mother" in it. Best of all....it is cheap and has many other uses! It's always nice to find a product that is low cost AND works...highly recommend!

Pros

• It works!
  • Has tons of uses
  • Can apply topically and/or drink to get the benefits
  • Cheap!

Cons

• For some people, it takes awhile to get used to the smell...but I think it fades quickly after you put it on the skin topically.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have never had acne in my teenage years. Recently I went on birth control pill and it broke me out in hormonal acne. I was not getting many, two or three painful lump-like spots at the time, they took forever to get up to the surface and as soon as they would, two or three more would come up again. I was getting them mainly along my jaw line, and due to the area being so small, the scarring and the redness has made me feel very bad about how I looked. I have tried everything - vitamins, diets, various cleansing programmes, changing BCP, make-up, tea tree oil, topical antibiotics - you name it - I've done it. I have stumbled upon this website about two weeks ago and read the reviews. Bought apple cider vinegar the next day, non organic, just the regular stuff. Two weeks later - my skin is clear, radiant and I didn't get a single zit during the "time of the month" when my skin would normally go insane. I don't dilute it, just use it after I use my Shu Uemura A/I cleansing oil to remove my makeup and before shower in the morning. It really works! My skin is very sensitive yet there is no redness even upon initial application. Bottom line - try it!!!!

Pros

• Even skin tone
  • No new spots
  • Cysts disappearing
  • Scars fading
  • Skin looking radiant
  • It works!!!!!

Cons

• The smell, but its a small price to pay for beautiful skin!
  • very light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used Rice Vinegar and I've found it works much better than regular vinegar. I have not tried Apple Cider Vinegar, so I can not attest to its effectiveness.

Before bed every night I put some vinegar on a round cotton pad and run it over the problem areas. The scent can be a bit overpowering, but I find that you get used to it quickly, and when you shower in the morning it doesn't matter.

By morning, I find that the acne is significantly dried out, bringing some to a head and others partially disappearing.

This is very good for body acne, as that is what I've used it for. I really have no complaints here, and I would recommend it to anybody.

Pros

• Dries out acne quickly
  • Reduces appearance of acne
  • Good for body acne
  • Can be used as a toner
  • Overall effective

Cons

• Scent
  • Mild stinging
  • Can be drying on skin
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 6.99