Verilux ClearWave® Light Therapy Acne Treatment System

Average price: $184.71

Brand: Verilux

Most helpful review

By Leif, Cali on 01/27/2009

The bottom line is that, 4 those who did the same thing I did by sitting in the sun to clear up your acne, it works, but the UV rays can damage your skin n I didnt wanna take the chance of that.. so I got this n when I use it it keeps my skin clear 4rm new pimples from popping up.. I use it at night.. best time, after a shower.. use some Pan Oxyl 2.5% cream though.. otherwise if u get the maximum trength, ur skin will feel like it's on fire.. Anyways, I like it n u should too.. u gotta be committed though.. if u really wanna see results.. The sun works actually too 4 acne, it cleared my acne up real well.. I was suprised.. my scars were'nt noticeable much either.. I stayed out there all summer in 2008 like 4 days a wk 4 bout 45-1hr each n it really helped.. totally.. but, this works good 4 winter when there is no sun.. n does the same thing.. thats what I got it 4.. but yea, best place to get it is at [link removed].. I got it 4 bout $60 cheaper than everybody here ha.. GO THERE!.

Pros:
  • Jus have to like they said, time yourself, on a stop watch or whatever n yea.. wear these goggles that come with it..
Cons:
  • the light is BRIGHT! It made my whole room look like a lava lamp was inside ha..

416 out of 727 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

I am on spironolactone for my acne, so I am clear in that regard. I still have red marks left from the acne and rosacea inflammation, and this is why I am using Red/Blue light therapy. I am pretty pleased with the results - no, my skin isn't flawless, but I can't expect it to be after the horrors it's been through.

My red marks have been reduced as well as the small papules I sometimes get when my face gets too hot. My overall facial pinkness has been reduced as well.

Overall, I think that Clearwave is as effective as other Red/Blue light therapy products, but if you can find something cheaper or more to your liking (for instance, a product that it more convenient to use), you should go for that instead.

Also, making your own LED light board might be less expensive than buying one. Directions can probably be found through a quick google search. Good luck!

Pros

• fairly easy to transport
  • works (slowly) to reduce inflammation and bacteria

Cons

• can be hard to find time to sit in front of it for 15-30 minutes a day
  • finding a way to sit in front of it comfortably can be difficult
  • your family/friends/significant other(s) may laugh at you if they see you sittng in front of it :P
  • you have to be patient with it, as results don't typicaly come immediately after first or second use
  • expensive for those on a tight budget
  • very light
  • $ 125

By on

I have suffered from moderate acne my whole life but I have always know the sun can clear it up. Unfortunately, until recently this was not an option due to the UV damage that goes with it. Luckily science has finally solved this problem and brought the benefits of sunlight indoors.

Now for all those people that claim the technology does not work after only a few weeks of use brief use. Have you considered that almost all acne treatments make your skin appear worse before you begin to see continued improvement.

Let me give you a perfect example of this. Recently I did an at home chemical peel and what I noticed is the day after its use my skin was full of little of little pimples. Why I wondered? Because the peel brought these "future" pimples to the surface. I knew the peel could not have caused this and sure enough winthin a few days they were all gone!

In otherwords the peel did not cause the pimples; it simply brought them to the surface were they could be shed. Think of it another way. The blue light simply kills the bacteria it does not remove it. Your body still has to expel these.

The problem is people are looking for immediate results and the body does not work that way.

Pros

• Compared to some other units I have purchased this seems well made.
  • Unlike some reviews I like the bulkyness as you get more complete facial coverage.

Cons

• Wish it had a tilt control so you could sit more comfortably in front. The thickness of the removable front cover seems to be a safety feature which may serve to reduce the lights effectiveness.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 149.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

Don't bother

Pros

• Did nothing for me. Looks like from the "reviews" someone is trying to sell these - maybe the vendor masquerading as acne sufferers?

Cons

• Waste of money, time, esteem.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 189
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Well worth the money. It made a huge difference in my acne. It noticeably reduces swelling and redness in the breakouts I do have. I use this in conjunction with Rezamid and regular face washing.

You need to use it when your face is totally clean! Don't apply anything to any blemishes until after you're done. You also need to get a strict 15 minutes in every day... if I miss more than two days, I start breaking out bad.

Pros

• It works! No messy creams to run out of, nothing to take or apply, no side affects.

Cons

• Problems finding time to use when on a strict schedule, not really transportable. Annoying sometimes to sit with your face in a bright light for 15 minutes if busy.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a year
  • $ 149.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Don't even think of buying this. It's a heartache,

Pros

• I was very disappointed with this. My face broke out worse than ever - but I kept trying - and it got worse.

Cons

• They wouldn't give me my money back because they said I had been using it too long. Now I'm out $200 and I have more zits than when I started.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 200
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I got mine from an Amazon seller for just over $100. Is it worth the $189 msrp? Well, yes, now that I know it works (for me). Deals can be had on Ebay, so be sure to check that out.

I am 2.5 weeks in to using this 2x per day - 15min in the morning after washing face, 15min at night after washing face. Dramatic improvement (see cons). I think that the protective covering on the bulbs acts too much like a filter and doesn't allow enough of the good light to get through. I now use this w/out the cover. I also wait for it to warm up for 5min before use. The lamps should be hot enough to warm your face as you use the lamp. BTW, the included eye protectors really suck.

My regiment: 1. turn on lamp 2. wash face with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser Wash 3. Wait for face to dry 4. sit <6" from lamps, turning face to target certain areas if nec. 5. use liberal amount of Complex 15 Cream with a few drops of Jojoba oil mixed in on entire face. For 10 yrs I've been on antibiotics

Pros

• This definitely works for me! No drying of the skin like with BP. Very safe unlike prolonged use of antibiotics.

Cons

• Acne got worse in the first week. I have to put aside 30min/day for it to work. There are 2 lights with 2 bulbs each for a total of 4 bulbs. I think this would be more effective and you'd see quicker results if there were more bulbs.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 120
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• $ 130

By on

Worst thing is that I had hopes that this might work. I spent alot of time and all I got was disappointment. Sad.

Pros

• There are no pros

Cons

• Didn't do anything. Actually looks like my acne got worse (little whiteheads).
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 200
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I don't have a clue how this thing got so many positive reviews. It did absolutely nothing for my skin except give me a ton of whiteheads which I never had before. Two months after I stopped using this system the whiteheads went away. This thing is an absolute rip-off!

Pros

• None

Cons

• Did nothing for my acne, actually made it worse.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 200
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I was skeptical. I knew that sunlight always made my skin look better but being in the sun for an hour leaves you sunburned and you cannot do that everyday.

I bought this thru Amazon so I knew the return policy was good. I ain't sending it back. I noticed the difference the 1st day and after a week the acne is almost gone. Just a couple more to heal. The skin tone is great. Sit in front with your nose almost touching the cover for 15 to 30 minutes and you will be amazed.

Also use Baking Soda & water (slurry) to keep you skin clean.

The Cleanser & Treatment product sold here work real well too but for that final treatment use Verilux Clearwave

Pros

• Works GREAT!
  • The red/blue light kills bacteria that cause acne just as sunlight does but without the sunburn. This website has the answers. Clearview, baking soda and the Cleanser & Treatment products.

Cons

• None
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.