Veltin Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 22 reviews

Brand: Veltin

Veltin Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

Tretinoin (.025%) and Clindamycin (1.2%).

Inactive ingredients:
Butylated hydroxytoluene,
carbomer homopolymer (type C), anhydrous citric acid, edetate disodium, methylparaben,
laureth 4, propylene glycol, tromethamine, and purified water.

Mid 30's female cystic acne
Reviewed on February 12, 2017

I have been using veltin for 1.5 months and I am not thrilled with the results. I have worse cystic acne breakouts which I do not attribute to the medicine but it certainly has not helped. The texture of my skin is very smooth as compared to pre-veltin, aside from the ugly acne. Having read many reviews I hope that my face is still in the "getting worse before it gets better" phase. I am mid 30's and have not had acne like this since high school. It started with one or two a month around my period and then, less than a year later, it was happening everyday. They leave scars every time so now my once beautiful skin is dotted with dark red marks. 🀞🏼🀞🏼🀞🏼

by ShellyDeng on 06/19/2017 20:44
Hi, I am having the problem as you do. how's your skin condition right now?
Significant improvement over OTC medications
Reviewed on October 18, 2016

I started getting cystic acne as an adult about two years ago, and no non-prescription remedies that I've tried have made any difference. So I went to the doctor and he prescribed this to me. I only apply it at bedtime, as directed, and apply moisturizer with SPF 30 sunscreen during the day. I can say that I noticed a difference within a week -- no new cystic outbreaks. I'm about one month in now, and my skin has cleared up noticeably. I still get pimples occasionally, but, they are very small vs. the huge ones I used to get, and they go away quickly. My doc suggested that I also use sunscreen at home, even if I'm not going outside. He said it would take at least 3 months to see any real difference, if it works, but so far I think it is helping out.

by emilyl22 on 11/30/2016 06:23
I started getting cystic acne on my face and back shortly after I graduated college. I tried all sorts of cleansers and creams. Prescription and non. I got tired of no results and started doing my own research. I found a lot of articles linking cystic acne to dairy. I decided to stop consuming dairy to see if it would work.. Within a month my face and back had completely cleared up! I know that you're experiencing great results with Veltin, but wanted to share my experience in case you ever wanted to try it! :)
Not Working
Reviewed on March 15, 2016

I've used it correctly for one month now and I'm still getting break-outs (so it didn't even at the very least stop more acne from growing) and it hasn't even begun to clear the acne that was already there. For $500 I would expect this topical to be more effective and aggressive, but it's pretty weak and not worth the price in any way shape or form. I've used over-the-counter products that have cleared my acne, or at the very least stopped more acne from happening, in 2 weeks yet this $500 prescription hasn't done anything at all in one month and needs 6 months to work? 6 months? I hate to break it to you but if your acne starts improving FINALLY after 3-6 months, it's because it cleared up on it's own, again, finally, after all that time. Had nothing to do with this extremely slow acting, ineffective topical. Would have rather spend $500 on something more aggressive, effective, and of better quality. If I cared to wait 6 months just for my acne to clear up, I would have done it for free by simply waiting.

Very helpful
Reviewed on August 23, 2014

Clindamycin Phosphate is a very powerful topical treatment. At first, I used the lotion form but switched to solution form because the lotion was a bit heavy. The solution gets absorbed by the skin within a few seconds and helps reduce the size of large zits. The only thing bad about this solution is the fact that it makes you look really shiny/oily/greasy.

What to expect in week 1
Reviewed on July 22, 2014

Ive been using this for about a week and it has improved my acne, not completely. It did irritate and dry out my skin, especially my nostrils, but using oil on the dry spots helped. Its only the first week so i dont have much more to say then that.

by Stb93 on 08/11/2015 04:40
My dermatologist told me to avoid the outter corners of my nose
Used for a year now - good, but not great
Reviewed on August 6, 2013

I've been using Veltin gel for about a year now. I never had really severe acne, just a few mild breakouts from time to time, but then last summer I really began to break out while traveling abroad. It was awful - lots of gross red pimples all over my cheeks (nothing cystic, however). I took care of it very badly, and when the summer ended and I went to visit my dermatologist, they prescribed me Veltin as the last resort before turning to Accutane, a process which both I and my parents didn't want to go through. It at once began to clear up all my breakouts and slowly but surely healed my (terrible) scars all over my cheeks. A year later, I can say that my skin is MUCH better. The scars are almost completely faded, and I only break out on occasion with small, manageable pimples. HOWEVER, after a year of use, I do still break out! I will have totally clear skin for a few days (maybe 4-5), and then suddenly two or three small pimples will surface. It is hormonal - often its around when my period starts. Still, thought, this is annoying. I also still experience severe dryness from time to time, which really scares me. I don't want to be treating my skin badly and letting age too much. I'm only a teenager. Also, just a FYI, I've found that Aloe gel burns when I put it on Veltin treated skin.

Just so you know, my daily routine consists of cleaning my face with a sensitive skin makeup remover towlette and then applying veltin. My derm actually recommended that I apply a coat in the morning and in the night, and use extra to spot treat trouble areas. I sometimes do this, but always notice increased redness and irritation which takes a few days to subside. I never wash my face with any irritating washes - this only makes it worse!

Overall, I recommend Veltin. I know my skin would be much worse without it. I am also lucky enough to receive it for free due to my insurance. However, just know that redness and pealing skin comes hand in hand with the gel, and that it won't solve all your skin problems.

Worked for me
Reviewed on June 27, 2013

I've had slight-mild acne on my face for maybe 7 years, and severe acne on my back for 6. This is the only product I've used that's worked well for me. After using this for 1 and a half months, the acne on my face has cleared up significantly (one pimple left...), and this has helped with acne scars. As for my back, I can say all the acne is gone, Hallelujah! No more growing bumps. The downside is that the gel left my back with some dark rash spots which will hopefully fade over time. For my back, the acne did get a lot worse with the gel before it got better. I used this while taking Minocycline 2x a day.

Kristen, Orlando
Anonymous, Birmingham
Reviewed on January 8, 2013

This is the greatest anti acne gel I've used. It works and doesn't dry out my skin too bad, just make sure you don't wash your face more than twice a day and you're golden. But I have BCBS and they quit covering it PERIOD. I went to the pharmacist for a refill (the tube will last six months easily) and he said my insurance wouldn't cover it, but I could pay 365$ for it. Yeah no. I'm hoping the alternative my dermatologist is giving me will be just as good.

Anonymous
Reviewed on September 20, 2012

I really wanted this product to work for me. I have been to the dermatologist for the past 10 years and have tried everything. I have acne and rosacea so finding a product that works for both without irritating the other feels nearly impossible.

I was prescribed Veltin 2 months ago. I had been using Clindamycin 1% gel nightly on my face followed by Metrogel in the morning (Aczone topical for my rosacea flare ups periodically) and Benzaclin for my body acne. I know that seems like a lot of products, but because of my skins sensitivities I can not use benzoyl peroxide on my face because of my rosacea.

Anyway, when I went to the dermatologist they prescribed me Doryx and Veltin to replace my existing regime. I was very hopeful although I have tried all ingredients in these products countless times.

I knew that the Doryx would take some time to work so I didn't mind being patient. I used Retin-a and tretinoin creams in the past and knew that the first month is the worst with the IB. My skin became VERY oily in the first few weeks of Veltin, which I expected. I use moisturizer every morning and night to help with the sebum production... but two months later it has not improved the oiliness. It's extremely embarrassing with oily, red, inflamed skin. I apply Veltin as prescribed and it left me with a permanent red color on my face and my rosacea flare ups increased.

Two months later, it has done little to improve my acne (some pustules are gone) and nothing to clear the blackheads on my skin. Many people say that this is not long enough to wait but having been on acne medication for two years up to this point, I can no longer afford for these products not to work for me (even insurance copays for these products are expensive).

I think it's great that people have the patience to wait 6 months for this product to work. Would be good for JUST acne, not combination skin like mine. I just can't afford to use this anymore!

by Ss454251 on 08/06/2014 22:10
Try solodyn. It fixed everything for me and I have very sensitive skin!
by Ss454251 on 08/06/2014 23:41
Try solodyn. It fixed everything for me and I have very sensitive skin!