Turmeric

Average price: $7.70

Most helpful review

By SDR WellnessCoach on 01/31/2013
thumbnail

Listen carefully: I used this for the first time. I am currently using Retin-A. I didn't know turmeric would irritated my sensitive skin to the point where my skin was burning the whole night. My skin was red, hot and painful to the touch. I am warning all of those who are using any kind of acne treatment: do not use this! Turmeric is very harsh on it sown. I will review it again after my Retin-A course. I know for a fact turmeric is excellent. I am just warning all of those who are in the same boat as me..

Pros:
  • none
Cons:
  • burns skin

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

I had been on doxycycline to treat my moderate to moderately severe acne, and I realized that while that helped, it would hurt me in the long run. So, I decided to very slowly wean off of it. I substituted turmeric for the morning pill, and then later the evening pill. In this way, I came off antibiotics pretty easily and didn't have any serious breakouts. But if I forget to take the turmeric or run out, I break out again. So, it wasn't really a solution to what was causing my acne, it just fought it.

I noticed though that it wasn't just maintaining my clear skin, it was also helping fade my hyperpigmentation. I haven't yet used this topically, only internally, so I'm excited to see what else it can do. Furthermore, turmeric cleans up your liver, which helps get rid of toxins that could bubble up to your skin. I should add, that I follow a very strict vegan veggie/fruit-rich diet. I have no doubt that this helps my skin, and that adding turmeric to a terrible diet might not be as effective.

It's important to get the turmeric with black pepper extract because I first used one without it for a few months that was okay, and it was helpful. But for the last few months I've been using the pepper kind (this review is strictly of the latter) and it's been sooo good. I've also started drinking golden milk (with almond milk--tons of vitamin E in it!) and eating tons of curries as well. Every little bit helps!

Pros

• anti-inflammatory
  • detoxes your liver
  • helps hyperpigmentation
  • helped clear my acne

Cons

• pretty expensive over long term
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 100
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Turmeric works wonders on acne-ridden skin, as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It makes your face glow.

HOW TO USE

mix turmeric with some milk, lemon, honey, and apply to your face for 10-12 minutes. Rinse off without a cleanser, and apply moisturizer.

Use only at night before bed, so if there is any yellow staining you can rinse it off with a cleanser the next morning

Pros

• Skin is brighter
  • Smoothed out bumps
  • Less shiny
  • Whiteheads lessened

Cons

• Initially may cause 1 or 2 zits, but stick with it
  • Yellow stains
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Turmeric has been used for many ailments in India forever. It's great to eat, and wonderful for your skin as well! I have a turmeric cream I put on my face at night and it helps with swelling a ton. I use a totally natural turmeric cream by Pratima that I rub onto my whole face, then dab individual breakouts. It isn't an overnight thing, it might take time, but it's worth it and your skin won't experience the side effects of using a harsh unnatural product over a long period of time.

Pros

• Antibacterial
  • soothing
  • natural
  • anti inflammatory

Cons

• only wear at night
  • dyes your pillow cases
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

its a natural and ayurvedic herb which according to my own experience had helped me a lot . It can be applied directly to the acne and it shrinks after a few hours. People looking out for skin whitening creams can opt for turmeric powder because it makes you fair and glowing . I would definately ask others to try it out.

Pros

• helps with cystic acne
  • makes your skin glow
  • clears toxins from body when taken with water

Cons

• face will stay yellow after appying but then becomes normal
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is an amazing spot treatment! I saw results the very next day. All you need to do is purchase this powder at your local grocery store (it can be found in the spice & seasoning aisle). Take the powder & a small amount of water making it into a paste. Use as a spot treatment. Wait until the paste is completely dry then rinse off with lukewarm water(it is normal to have a orange tint left after washing off). Finish up by making a paste with water & baking soda. Then, use that as a face wash & pat face dry. Be sure to moisturize afterwards or your face will be really dry. This has worked wonders for my husband & I!

Pros

• Inexspensive, Fast results, Easy to use

Cons

• Will stain your face orange if you do not wash your face with baking soda afterwards.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 2.99
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using this for a month now as a mask just over the areas of acne scarring and red marks I have. I mix it with tamanu oil(very moisturizing and doesn't clog pores) and a natural eczema cream ( caroline's cream- helps with healing) and I find this mixture to be extremely soothing and most definitely promote healing of newly erupted acne. Takes down redness a lot but you have to use every night and leave it for a couple of hours to see results- especially on red marks.

This mixture will dry on your face so you can sleep with it on. The only thing is that you'll wake up with yellow stains on your face. Use a natural yoghurt mask with abit of lemon juice for 20 minutes and it should take the stain away! Lemon juice will help with hyper pigmentation also:-). All this along with dans AHA and you'll be on your way to fantastic skin...

Good luck guys, hope this helps!!

Pros

• Very cheap
  • Helps healing time
  • Helps red marks
  • Great anti inflammatory

Cons

• Stains everything yellow
  • Have to use over a couple of hours at a time over a few weeks to see results
  • look jaundice after you take mask off because of yellow stain
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 5

By on

Despite the inconvenience of mixing a mask with this, this really works at preventing acne from bubbling up! I just mix some with water and try to do a mask at least 2 or 3 times a week. It reduces redness and calms down those angry-looking pimples who look like they're about to attack your face if you look at them the wrong way. It also keeps their friends at bay - nips them in the bud, so to speak.

The only thing is, you have to invest quite some time in 1) mixing it together without dripping all over the sink and staining everything, 2) letting it sink into your skin for at least 30 min, 3) rinsing it off without the dripping and staining, 4) cleansing and toning to get rid of the stain on your face.

I usually do it at night and find that my skin stays yellow until morning. Then I usually tone a couple of times to get rid of the last traces.

If you are patient enough to handle the mess and time involved, this is a great treatment.

Pros

• antibacterial/anti-inflammatory
  • great at preventing cystic pimples
  • also good at treating and shrinking existing acne

Cons

• MESSY
  • stains everything yellow - clothes, countertops - and does not go away
  • grainy and takes some effort to get it to adhere to your skin
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 2

By on

I tried turmeric (both topically and pill form) for my moderate acne. Long story short, it simply did not work. If you decide to use it topically, it will definitely dye your skin yellow. Some soaps are better than others at washing it off, but for the most part, nothing works that well.

The pill form, curcumin, also didn't work. I took the Nature's Bounty brand for about a month before giving it up.

I see that this treatment has worked for others in the past, but it just didn't work for me. Go see your dermatologist.

Pros

• Didn't do much

Cons

• Yellow everything
  • Smells weird
  • Expensive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 30

By on

It really helped my skin and my joints. It is a miracle spice. I definitely suggest taking it as a supplement. I like TurmericForce by New Chapter. I get it along with other supplements and skin care products at [link removed].

Pros

• Taken as a nutritional supplement it is really easy to use
  • Helped clear up acne along with other supplements and nutritional support
  • Natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
  • Also supports the heart, brain, joints, and immune system

Cons

• None
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • $ 29.95
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

The best product I ever used to treat Acne and by far the cheapest. I wish I knew about this years ago. All I do is put Turmeric Powder & Black Pepper on all my meals, real easy.

Pros

• Clears Acne up quickly
  • Very cheap yet highly effective

Cons

• I use the powder form and it doesn't taste all that good with the amount I use but it works so....
  • Seems to only work from the neck up which is ok for me.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 4.88
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.