Page 5 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1343 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Okay...
Reviewed on June 9, 2013

It does help a little bit. I'm currently on it. I've used it for over a year actually... It's good but you need to use it on the actual pimple itself. If you spread it around to other parts of your face, you will break out.

Didnt do anything...
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

This product did not do anything for my skin. I guess it was like putting on lotion or something, because this made your skin shiny and a bit moisturized. My hyperpigmentation improved a little. My mom likes this product, because she says its helps get rid of hyperpigmentation and helps with wrinkles. This product did not harm nor benefit my skin. This did not work for my acne. It did not solve my problem at all

Reviewed on May 27, 2013

I've been on Retin-A micro for over 4 months now. I've always had acne and unfortunately it runs in my family...in high school I would get the occasional zit and I never really followed a skin care routine. When I was about 19, I started getting horrible cysts and other types of acne all over my face....which then led to scarring for the first time. I went and saw a dermatologist once, but my hopes were too high and gave up after the creams she gave me didn't work. I would just cover my face in makeup since I thought there was nothing I could do since everyone in my family has had acne at some point in their lives and grew out of it...tanning seemed to be the only thing that helped, yet I gave that up over a year ago as well. I'm now 24 and I finally decided to find a dermatologist who would be determined to help. She saw my skin and immediately put me on Retin-A micro .1% to use at night and Acanya gel for the morning. Now I have heard horror stories about retin-A and let me tell you...they're 100% right. The first month was awful. I got huge zits that I don't even think there's a category for and I had to ice my face every night. I know I immediately started on the highest strength but I asked for it and I was aware of the pain I was about to endure...I was desperate! I felt insecure caking on makeup everyday (I only wear Clarins and MAC) and acne was the ONLY thing that made me feel this way. After the 2nd month, I started Photodynamic therapy which only led to more pain and icing my face....I waited a whole week to put my retin-A on again but I didn't give up and stuck it out. The second photodynamic therapy session wasn't as bad and I even applied my retin-A the night after the procedure. I started taking spironolactone since I was still oily and that helped IMMENSLY. I'm going in this week for my third photodynamic therapy session and my skin is better than its ever been since my teenage years. I only apply a little bit of powder for makeup now instead of caking on liquid foundation, concealer, powder, etc...I don't need all of that crap to hide my face anymore. I'll still get a small pimple here and there and I'm only 4 months in and I still have a long way to go. But it's true that it takes awhile to notice results and they're minimal at first. People are finally complimenting me on my skin and telling me how gorgeous I am....and it makes me want to cry since I'm FINALLY not hiding behind layers of makeup to make myself look good. BE PATIENT and yes, you are going to feel uglier and nastier during the first month or two....but stick it out b/c you WILL see fantastic results. Retin-A is always making magic and working underneath your skin so that's why you won't notice anything (positive) at first....but give the medication time to push out all of your impurities . We are all beautiful people on the inside.....give the retin-a some time so you can feel beautiful on the outside as well!!

Reviewed on May 21, 2013

I controlled my acne using the contraceptive pill for about 8 years, until constant headaches required me to stop to rule it out as a cause. At the time I was never particularly happy with my skin, always having a couple of spots, but after going off I remembered how depressing it is to have bad skin. After about 4 months off the pill, and a face like a pizza I finally went to the doctors to get some help clearing my acne. In New Zealand the Retrieve cream (0.05%) is under full subsidy so only cost $5.

At first I thought my skin wasn't going to react negatively, but after about a fortnights daily use it made my skin dry and sore. My forehead because covered in tiny skin coloured lumps. After a couple of days off to rest my skin I started again, and now at week 7 I am starting to see my acne clear. Every day I can see it getting a little better, and hopefully within the next month or so my face should be clear.

Before treatment my skin was extremely oily from going off the pill. This has now calmed right down, to the point I have dry areas on my face, especially my chin and jaw where most of the acne is. I'm hoping it also helps lighten my freckles :P

My advice would be to persevere, even when it's hard watching your skin get worse to start with. The results in the long term will be worth it. Start of slowly, building up application, and use the minimal amount you can. Using a mild exfoliant in the morning can help clear up dry patches, but only start this once your skin has settled into treatment.

Reviewed on May 17, 2013

Everyone told me how amazing this product is. All it did for me was make me incredibly sensitive, and dry out my skin.

Reviewed on May 15, 2013

Tretinoin broke me out so bad! I went to the dermatologist because I was breaking out with maybe 5-6 pimples. So he prescribed this this cream. I was clueless about this cream and used it without researching it. Worst decision. My skin broke out really bad and I had 20 pimples and I got red acne scars (hyper-pigmentation). To make matters worse I had to go on accutane to get rid of all the acne. Please do not use this, your self-esteem will go dowm.

Reviewed on April 29, 2013

It has been one year since I began retin a; 3 mo of .025% followed by 9 mo of .05%. With the exception of a small monthly breakout related to my menstrual cycle, I am CLEAR.

I have tried: benzoyl peroxode, salicylic acid, glycolic and lactic acid peels, topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics, birth control, food elimination diets, lifestyle changes, vitamins (fish oil, zinc, vitamin c).

The purging period lasted 8 months for me. My clogged pores turned into horrible acne of all varieties within a month of beginning retin a. I didn't think I would survive the first 6 months. I cried, my self esteem reached an all time low, and I was completely humbled. It was a blessing in disguise.

My skin completely cleared around month 9, when I began drinking 1 qt of fresh carrot juice (5lbs juiced) daily. I had the same results as a course of Accutane, and now my hyper pigmentation is finally fading.

It has been a long road and retin a requires COURAGE. The best thing I have found for my skin is to treat a breakout like a cold sore. Any manipulation of my skin spreads it, and even if I have a gross whitehead, if I leave it alone it will dry up and quickly fade without consequent breakouts. I wash my face with African black soap now, with a spray rose water-glycerine as my moisturizer. I apply hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to any breakouts then LEAVE IT BE.

It will pass!! Just survive the transition (easier said than done) and draw on your inner strength. I know how difficult it is and I pray for relief for all of you.

Reviewed on April 23, 2013

I love Dan's regimen with RetinA. The retinA gives me a great peel to keep my pores tight and my skin looking bright and youthful. Dan's regimin and products stop acne in it's tracks and prevents new boils. This combo is amazing for my skin. Not sure if a lot of others could handle these two together as they are both very strong but my skin is flawless using both together. And the moisturizer is perfect although I do glob it on but it works amazingly well.

by catbabe on 08/01/2014 17:07
Would you tell me how you use both?
Reviewed on April 23, 2013

I highly recommend this product. I had chin acne that nothing, including BP, worked for. I am overall highly sensitive to BP and this product does not irritate my skin. I had an awful initial breakout - multiple painful cysts on my chin for about a month. I read on this website that many experienced the same thing and stuck it out. Then suddenly, acne started fading and I stopped getting new cysts and now my chin is clear except some scarring spots and occasional breakout. 4 stars instead of 5 for the initial breakout.

Reviewed on April 14, 2013

I've had spots since I was about 15. As I turned 18 they got worse and worse up to now (I'm 20). My derm recommended this cream and I was unsure at first. It brought out hundreds of little bumps that covered every area of my face. Each bump was a small pimple that the cream had brought up due to clogged pores. My problem is hormonal but the pill hasn't done much for me. Six weeks in and I was still spot ridden and scouring this website for some success stories. By week 8 I had a few less spots, week 9 less again, until finally I gradually noticed I was getting less and less until there were none! It was a miracle to me and I'm so happy I stuck it out. Now 7 months on and I get the occasional spot but that's fine with me! Please give it a proper go. I've never tried any topical as effective as this and I couldn't bare to part with it now.