Page 4 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1363 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Not extremely effective, but does calm acne down a bit
Reviewed on March 1, 2014

I was using this in addition to doxycycline and eventually minocycline. It did seem to help calm my acne down a bit, though it was by no means a cure. I did become very sensitive to sunlight as well. I used it every night for 7 months and I just kept hoping it would clear me up for good. At least it didn't make me worse. Also, a little goes a long way. I only used two tubes in 7 months time.

It requires patience....BUT THIS WORKS!!!!
Reviewed on February 23, 2014

I told myself that if this treatment worked I would write a review to all of those out there who read nothing but negative reviews on Retin-A. I'm 33 years old, fought with acne since I was in 6th grade... I'm now 7 weeks into my treatment and my skin has never been better (I credit this to patience and my routine which I will outline below)! I did have the initial purging and yes it is hard to go through. Many times I wanted to stop but told myself that if I wanted clear skin I needed to go through the bad to get to the great. The purging started at about week 2 and lasted til week 4 and it was in the form of large cystic bumps all over my forehead. They hurt, they were impossible to cover and worse of all they left red marks....BUT I continued through it. At week 5 I started seeing some improvement and week 6 my skin looked amazing (except the red marks that were left from the initial purging). The BEST resource out there on this treatment is found at a blog called One step closer to a Peaches and Cream Complexion. She does an amazing job at outlining how this treatment works and most importantly what products you can use with it. Retin-A itself is an unstable compound and is very picky what products you use and I firmly believe this is one reason why so many have had negative experiences with it! So please please please look at the above mentioned blog and the review and comments section (she answers readers questions VERY thoroughly) It will completely change you view of acne care! But here is my routine....

Nightly- wash face with Normal to Oily CeraVe foaming face wash. let skin dry 20-30 minutes. Apply a small amount of Retin-A all over face. Let dry for 20 to 30 minutes. Once that is dry I put a thin layer of CeraVe moisturizing lotion on and that's it!

Morning - wash with CeraVe again. I swipe one of those salicylic acid throw away pads all over my face (I use Neutrogena but I am sure any would work). I found these really help to keep the small pimples away that form during the day because of oil, clogged pores, makeup breakouts, ect. then use Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sun Screen over the entire face. Sunscreen is a must when using this product, my face is very sensitive to sunscreens but this particular type works amazing for me and also serves as a moisturizer! Finish with make up and I am good to go for the day! Acne can be heartbreaking at any age and leaves not only physical scars but an emotional one at too...this treatment worked for me and I sincerely hope that it works for you!!!

It didn't work for me.
Reviewed on February 20, 2014

I started Tretinoin 0.01% gel in November of 2013. I have moderate acne but it's very persistent. I saw some improvement and thought my acne was clearing. But then I started waking up with more inflamed red pimples and whiteheads every day. My skin was super red and peeled so bad. I thought it would go away but never did. I was then upped to 0.025% gel about a month or two ago. Still nothing. Now I'm on week 14, almost 15, with no results. I used it as directed. I washed my face, waited 30 minutes, then applied a pea-sized amount over my face without moisturizer. I applied it every other night until directed and then started applying it every night. Until I can go see the dermatologist, my doctor ordered me to stay on it. Tretinoin has worked for some people but not me. This was one of my last options before getting refereed to a dermatologist, and it failed. The only good things about this was that some areas of my face got smoother and the little blemishes went away quickly.

by 13 going on 30 on 08/01/2014 04:59
Yes! I feel like I wrote this! I don't know whether to continue or give up?
Finally helped clear up my acne!
Reviewed on February 9, 2014

After struggling for several years with cystic acne in my late 20's, I finally decided to see a dermatologist instead of my PCP. I was already taking Minocycline, which helped, but I still had bad cystic acne. The dermatologist prescribed Retin-A Micro (apply at night) and Aczone (apply in morning). In the first month, I didn't notice much improvement, maybe even slightly worse small pimples, but cycstic acne was not worse. After a couple months, I was noticing a definite improvement and by four months, I am thrilled with the results. I think the Retin-A has helped with the small whiteheads/blackheads, while the Aczone is particularly good for the cystic acne (my doctor said it has the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin to kill bacteria than most topicals). At same time as starting these, I started using Cetaphil Oil Control foaming wash and moisturizer, which have been great.

So far it's helping
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

Hello, I'm 24 yrs old. I have never had a problem with acne until I became pregnant. During my pregnancy I didn't use anything on my face as I was told, it would go away and should clear up on it's own after delivery. Well, for me it didn't. I waited about 2 weeks until after my baby was born to look into dermatologists. I made an appointment, and he prescribed TRETINOIN 0.025% CREAM 20GM as well as DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100MG TABLETS. I took the Doxy twice daily and at night I used the Tretinoin cream all over my face. The cream will start making you break out into huge cyst like bumps, and can really stress you out. Trust me, I cried almost everyday after picking at my skin. For me this happened around week 3-4 of taking the combination. It wasn't until about 2 to 2 1/2 months later, when I started noticing a big improvement. My skin is now acne-free. (BTW-I stopped using Doxy completely-as it gave me a yeast infection-ew!) I'm still on the Tretinoin, and ALWAYS wash my face in the morning and use tons of moisturizer because it does DRY out your skin. I do now have acne scars which I am noticing fade over time. But at least that can be covered easily with makeup. And isn't as annoying and stressful as the acne itself. Good luck!

Burning Skin
Reviewed on February 1, 2014

My doctor prescribed me Tretinion 0.025% about two years ago and I barely used it but lately my skin has been at its worst so I decided I should start using it. At night I take my makeup off, wash my face and then apply the cream. After I apply the cream my face burns for a good 15 minutes. It feels like my whole face is sun burnt and I've noticed my face has become more sensitive throughout the day as well. Like I have sun burn. Also my face has been flaking and I've been getting red spots throughout my face. I'm not sure if this will go away but I feel like I don't want to use it anymore because it burns so bad.

by darknights on 08/17/2014 16:59
It was probably expired
Haven't been on long enough to know! But so far so good
Reviewed on January 30, 2014

We'll so far I've been on it for 2 weeks today and I've seen a very slight change in my skin. My skin rarely gets dry and so far im not flaking. I mostly just get acne on my forehead and I have a big cyst on my nose right now and quite a few pimples on my hairline.Some of the acne on my forehead has went down and now it's getting a little worse so I guess I'm on the initial breakout period. I will still continue to use this though because I believe that it will work! So far my skin is not sensitive to the sun or anything it's just getting oiler. I hope my acne gets better!

It works - when combined with a good moisturizer and exfoliate
Reviewed on December 21, 2013

I'm 46 and have had acne since i was 14. I've tried everything out there and nothing has worked or lasted. this includes Accutane, antibiotics, sulpha lotion, benzoyl peroxide, laser, peels, and tons more. accutane worked for a few years but after the birth of my son, acne came back in a fury. i went on accutane again, but lasted a few months. This product with a combination of other products has helped resolve my problem. In the morning I wash my face with physoderm ph reducer. Then i apply a thin layer of reversa 8% glycolic cream (wait 15 minutes after washing to apply). Then i apply a second layer of Eucerin 5% urea face cream. Since glycolic can be irritating to the skin and also dries it out, this is the best cream that i have found to give me intense moisture without break outs. in the evening, i wash my face with sebcur 4% glycolic acid. Yes, this product is meant for dandruff, but the 2% face wash that are available on the market simply was not working. i needed something stronger. once my skin is completely dry, i apply .5 retinol cream to my entire face and add a second layer of eucerin 5% night cream (very very hydrating). Note that at the beginning, i had to apply the glycolic and retin a every 3rd day to give my face a chance to adjust. eventually it was every day without any irritation. By the 3rd week into this treatment, all pimples on my chin, cheek and nose disappeared. I had a few break outs and by week 6 nothing. I'm now on week 10 and still nothing. It is so nice now to get up in the morning, touch my face and no pimple can be found! its a miracle and i'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to last. the main benefit of this regime is that your skin will shed quite a bit bit without any irritation. however, it is important to manually exfoliate your skin every second day. The best exfoliating glove on the market is Renaissance. it costs more, but it can last several years (make sure to clean it on a weekly basis). i also purchased a small microdermabrasion machine and use it once a week for more intense exfoliation. This really helps with removing a lot of dead skin. Today, my skin is amazing. Many of my acne scars are barely noticeable. They are slowly disappearing and if you are in your forties, fine lines are also considerably reduced. My colleagues cannot believe how good my face looks, they indicated that i look so much younger and healthier. I wanted to share this regime as i have tried pretty much everything that exists out there.

by tatilop on 08/19/2014 21:45
Hello, I have a doubt did you use it over all your face or just over acne? Thanks a lot
Requires patience
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

This is a review specifically for Retin-A Micro. For years I had been trying to get rid of closed comedones on my forehead area that just never seemed to go away. I was prescribed Retin-A Micro by my dermatologist. At first I found it to be irritating (I have very sensitive skin) and it make my skin dry and flakey. I decided to use it every two days instead. After about 3 months, I noticed that the closed comedones were turning into blackheads....I wasn't sure if that was progress or not, but continued using the product nonetheless. I would say it took a good 6 months before I saw any good results. Now, I hardly have any closed comedones (whiteheads) left. You have to be patient, but it does work.

not even going to try it
Reviewed on December 18, 2013

The ingredient list on my tube has stearic acid and isopropyl myristate high on the list (first and second ingredients behind tretinoin)..both are very comedogenic ingredients. Many other people have said this product has broken them out...so to me it's not worth the risk.