Page 4 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1339 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

disappointing
Reviewed on July 1, 2013

My doctor told me to try this out since my skin can't handle BP and SA is not doing anything for me. I apply it to areas where i tend to get acne every night before bed. I noticed that the large pores on my nose started to get smaller, but other than that nothing happened.

Broke me out.. but for aging benefits would be a very useful product
Reviewed on June 27, 2013

Retin-a both cream and Gel broke me out quite significantly, and continued to break me out for 5 months until I discontinued usage. This product is not for everyone.. but the aging benefits would be very useful for someone clear of acne.

retin a is my lifesaver
Reviewed on June 24, 2013

i had horrible acne all over my cheeks and neck and i finally asked about retin a. i put a little on every night and my face started to look really dry with skin peeling but my doc said that was normal. it was more normal after a month and my horrible cyst like acnes was gone. one time i carelessly used to much and it burned sooooo bad. i was iceing my face for releif. so use a tiny amount. barely any. i used retina for a year or less and quit using it and the acne never came back. its weired because ive been plagued with it since 13 and didnt start using it till 23. your face will be sore and embarrassing for the first part but acne is embarrassing anyway. i say go for it. what do u have to llose.

Cleared my face but takes many months
Reviewed on June 23, 2013

So this was actually my second time on tretinoin cream. The first time was around 2.5 years ago when I was a sophomore in college. I was extremely stressed out and it showed in my face. Deep pimples began appearing and my doctor put me on tretinoin cream 0.1% immediately. It worked wonders but left some scaring near my temples possibly due to 0.1% being too strong of a prescription to start off. Soon after my face cleared up (6-9 months) I completely stopped using tretinoin cream. I thought that it was over but little did I know my acne would return with a vengeance.

So this brings me to my junior year of college. Once school started and side effects of school (stress, sleep deprivation, eating unhealthy food, etc) appeared, my face broke out badly everywhere except my forehead. This time, my face broke out much worse than the first time. I'm talking like all over my cheeks, under my chin but especially bad along my jawline line. They were very painful too and I was miserable and self-conscious once again. So I waited a few monthes until I had a doctors appointment with a new doctor this time and I told him about my problem and he put me on tretinoin cream 0.1% again.

Knowing I had to wait around 6 months to see results was a huge bummer. I would look at myself in the mirror and feel like sh*t. But I persevered and used the cream. My routine consisted of washing my face with alba botanica natural hawaiian facial wash around 30 mins (have to make sure your face is dry) before I would apply tretinion cream. I would also wash my face with the same facial wash in the morning. At first, washing my face was a hassle. Scrubbing my broken out face hurt so badly and my pimples would pop leaving my face a bloody and puss filled mess. This purging period will leave your skin extremely sensitive and your face will hurt but after you get past this period, you are in the clear.

I did not see result until around 3 months after I began using it and almost full results until 6 months. The point is to be patient! This stuff works but it takes time for your body to push the gunk up from deep underneath your skin. During this purging period, apply sunscreen to prevent sun burns. Do not listen to those that bitch about this stuff not working. Most did not give it enough time to work. I still get a couple pimples every now and then when I eat greasy foods but I could care less about them because they clear up very quickly. It has been almost 13 months since I started my second round of tretinoin cream and now, I am much more confident and could care less about the minuscule scar marks on my face that are essentially too small to notice. Stick with your routine and keep applying the cream. Oh and drink lots of water keep you body hydrated and try not to eat too much greasy food. I also found the other positive reviews on here very inspirational in my own journey. I hope that my story can inspire and help others to persevere. I wish you all the best of luck through your own journeys and remember to keep your heads up, things will get better!!

no big difference
Reviewed on June 18, 2013

I had an initial breakout with this that lasted a few months, it was awful. Afterwards my acne returned to how it was before as if I wasn't using anything on my skin at all. My skin was really soft to the touch after the initial breakout, the old marks I had were faded a bit and overall my skin was less oily... BUT I was still breaking out regularly. My skin was also really tender, it always felt like I had a really hard scrub and I barely had skin left. I burned very quickly the one time I spent some time in the sun with no sunscreen. I kept using it because my doctor told me it would take some time to kick in but it didn't after almost a year my acne was just as severe as it was before I started, I was just less oily. The fact that it faded marks didn't matter in the end because I had so many new ones that formed while I was using it.

I only recommend because I've seen it work on someone with mild acne, so maybe it's good if the acne is mild.

Meh
Reviewed on June 14, 2013

Ive been prescribed retin a for years and years now and never had success with it. It causes a very bad purging stage in the beginning which I am fine with. But I could never use the product as recommended because it would make my skin raw from the extreme peeling. I got chemical burn when I used it as recommened and didn't realize what was happening with my skin. It makes my skin very sensitive and burns when ever I use it. It's not the product for me..

Okay...
Reviewed on June 9, 2013

It does help a little bit. I'm currently on it. I've used it for over a year actually... It's good but you need to use it on the actual pimple itself. If you spread it around to other parts of your face, you will break out.

Didnt do anything...
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

This product did not do anything for my skin. I guess it was like putting on lotion or something, because this made your skin shiny and a bit moisturized. My hyperpigmentation improved a little. My mom likes this product, because she says its helps get rid of hyperpigmentation and helps with wrinkles. This product did not harm nor benefit my skin. This did not work for my acne. It did not solve my problem at all

Reviewed on May 27, 2013

I've been on Retin-A micro for over 4 months now. I've always had acne and unfortunately it runs in my family...in high school I would get the occasional zit and I never really followed a skin care routine. When I was about 19, I started getting horrible cysts and other types of acne all over my face....which then led to scarring for the first time. I went and saw a dermatologist once, but my hopes were too high and gave up after the creams she gave me didn't work. I would just cover my face in makeup since I thought there was nothing I could do since everyone in my family has had acne at some point in their lives and grew out of it...tanning seemed to be the only thing that helped, yet I gave that up over a year ago as well. I'm now 24 and I finally decided to find a dermatologist who would be determined to help. She saw my skin and immediately put me on Retin-A micro .1% to use at night and Acanya gel for the morning. Now I have heard horror stories about retin-A and let me tell you...they're 100% right. The first month was awful. I got huge zits that I don't even think there's a category for and I had to ice my face every night. I know I immediately started on the highest strength but I asked for it and I was aware of the pain I was about to endure...I was desperate! I felt insecure caking on makeup everyday (I only wear Clarins and MAC) and acne was the ONLY thing that made me feel this way. After the 2nd month, I started Photodynamic therapy which only led to more pain and icing my face....I waited a whole week to put my retin-A on again but I didn't give up and stuck it out. The second photodynamic therapy session wasn't as bad and I even applied my retin-A the night after the procedure. I started taking spironolactone since I was still oily and that helped IMMENSLY. I'm going in this week for my third photodynamic therapy session and my skin is better than its ever been since my teenage years. I only apply a little bit of powder for makeup now instead of caking on liquid foundation, concealer, powder, etc...I don't need all of that crap to hide my face anymore. I'll still get a small pimple here and there and I'm only 4 months in and I still have a long way to go. But it's true that it takes awhile to notice results and they're minimal at first. People are finally complimenting me on my skin and telling me how gorgeous I am....and it makes me want to cry since I'm FINALLY not hiding behind layers of makeup to make myself look good. BE PATIENT and yes, you are going to feel uglier and nastier during the first month or two....but stick it out b/c you WILL see fantastic results. Retin-A is always making magic and working underneath your skin so that's why you won't notice anything (positive) at first....but give the medication time to push out all of your impurities . We are all beautiful people on the inside.....give the retin-a some time so you can feel beautiful on the outside as well!!

Reviewed on May 21, 2013

I controlled my acne using the contraceptive pill for about 8 years, until constant headaches required me to stop to rule it out as a cause. At the time I was never particularly happy with my skin, always having a couple of spots, but after going off I remembered how depressing it is to have bad skin. After about 4 months off the pill, and a face like a pizza I finally went to the doctors to get some help clearing my acne. In New Zealand the Retrieve cream (0.05%) is under full subsidy so only cost $5.

At first I thought my skin wasn't going to react negatively, but after about a fortnights daily use it made my skin dry and sore. My forehead because covered in tiny skin coloured lumps. After a couple of days off to rest my skin I started again, and now at week 7 I am starting to see my acne clear. Every day I can see it getting a little better, and hopefully within the next month or so my face should be clear.

Before treatment my skin was extremely oily from going off the pill. This has now calmed right down, to the point I have dry areas on my face, especially my chin and jaw where most of the acne is. I'm hoping it also helps lighten my freckles :P

My advice would be to persevere, even when it's hard watching your skin get worse to start with. The results in the long term will be worth it. Start of slowly, building up application, and use the minimal amount you can. Using a mild exfoliant in the morning can help clear up dry patches, but only start this once your skin has settled into treatment.