Page 4 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1354 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

not even going to try it
Reviewed on December 18, 2013

The ingredient list on my tube has stearic acid and isopropyl myristate high on the list (first and second ingredients behind tretinoin)..both are very comedogenic ingredients. Many other people have said this product has broken them out...so to me it's not worth the risk.

Wish I never would have tried this
Reviewed on December 4, 2013

I really wish I would have never gone to the dermatologist office. In all honesty my acne was not even that bad. I feel like it became severe once I started using Atralin, the brand I was prescribed. I trusted my derm, and I asked her if I would break out while using this. She told me no.. Wrong. I understand that this takes 3 months to see results, but I am only on month 2 and I do not think I can continue using this. My breakouts haven't been whiteheads, but cysts. So many cysts. A new one every day. I have become so self conscious about them, I refuse to leave my house because I do not want people to see me. Dryness has been an issue as well, which is also making me feel self conscious with everyone pointing it out. But I do not mean to discourage anyone. This product simply did not work for me, that doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. It could work beautifully for some people, and may not for others. I do hope anyone going through what I am going through makes it with beautiful skin. Best of wishes.

by marie11793 on 12/17/2013 01:46
I'm also using Atralin and I HATE it. It's been a little over a month and my acne is worse than it was before. Like you, I only had 2-3 pimples before I started, now 5 weeks later, I have about 7 deep ones on my cheek and random whiteheads that leave behind scabs. I want to quit and go back to my epiduo but I already wasted so much time with Atralin. Hopefully it starts to clear up, if not, I'm with you, I can't take it anymore!
Miracle Cream!
Reviewed on November 21, 2013

I'm 19 years old and I've always had bumps/clogged pores/blackheads on my forehead and nose for as long as I can remember. It was the worst, because no matter how much make-up I'd use, it would be impossible to cover up (especially in certain lighting). It was bothering me so much that I asked my doctor to put me on birth control pills, solely for the purpose of acne. She did, and I stuck to the pills for about 10 months until I realized that my skin was getting much worse (huge painful cyst like acne on my jaw line/neck/chin/cheeks/around my mouth STILL ALSO had the bumpy skin) it was so awful and embarrassing. I just recently went to the dermatologist and was prescribed Minocycline 200mg per day and 0.025% Tretinoid cream to be applied every night. Literally, after 2 nights of using this cream my face was 99.7% clear! I put my make-up on and you couldn't even see a blemish. Now, I have been using it for almost 2 weeks, all of my dark spots from acne are fading very quickly, a couple of new zits have popped up but I'm not even mad because it's cleared up so much of what was already existing. I'm aware that there is supposed to be a "purging" period, but I am 2 weeks in and haven't experienced that yet. Very minimal flakes around my nose area. I did make the mistake of using this cream too close to my under eyes and it did burn very much when I used make-up remover in the same area. Overall my face always has a warm sensation now, not painful though. I don't remember the last time my skin has been so smooth, I could not be happier. I can't wait to see more results with this product!

Seems to help
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

I've been using this in conjunction with BenzaClin and it seems to be helping. It has helped to make the pimples I do get stay less inflamed and I've been getting much fewer cystic acne. I use it at night and it has a good texture like a cream, and no side effects like burning.

Tretinoin Review - 6 Weeks
Reviewed on November 3, 2013

I'm a 20 year old male, and I've had mild acne since I was 13. After going on antibiotics (pill and cream) in high school, my acne got somewhat better. After not being on anything for the past 2 years, in the last several months my acne flared up again, and I was getting surface spots and painful cysts. A dermatologist put me on Doryx, Benzclyn and tretinoin 0.5 cream. I saw initial improvement with the antibiotics as I was getting less inflammation. However, my skin problem has always been more about an inability to shed dead skin Let me tell you, 6 weeks after using tretinoin, my skin has never looked better and it is continually improving. I still am getting an occasional spot or two, but the texture of my skin is so much softer and spots heal much faster. This cream has cured my cystic acne. The antibiotics help with smaller spots, but tretinoin has really, really made the difference. Non-inflamed spots I've always had are going away too. I'm religious about putting this stuff on every night, applying a thin layer to my entire face. I'm looking forward to seeing continual improvement in the next few months. I also did not have any side effects besides the cream making my skin greasy after applying (went away after a week or two). Acne has always affected my self-esteem/ image, and this stuff has really helped me out. I would strongly recommend anyone with acne to use this product - it is awesome!

Have Patience
Reviewed on November 2, 2013

I'm 15 years old and having to go through really bad break outs isn't the best. Last year in my freshman year of high school I decided to ask my doctor what I could use to get rid of the acne on my fore head. He gave me a prescription for Tretinoin Gel 0.01%. This product did help me a lot. I saw results in a month so it does take time for it to work. But since I only got three small tubes (what I call it) I ran out and sadly my acne came back! As time went by I never thought of asking my doctor for the same prescription. Just a week ago I went in to talk to my doctor again because let me tell you my acne has gotten worse than it has been before. Not only do I have acne on my fore head but also all over my cheeks which is really gross to look at! Yes that's how bad it is. My doctor prescribed to me again Tretinoin Gel 0.01% and on top of that 2 other medications to take in the day. I'm really hoping to see better results in about a month & it is uncomfortable at times but you have to be very patient.

Not good for everyone.
Reviewed on October 23, 2013

I was so frustrated with acne that has plagued me for years, and thus went to the dermatologist. I was prescribed tretinoin, a minor antibiotic, and clyndamicin.gel. Tretinoin made my skin worse. Absolutely terrible. Yet, I persisted for a full three months with no improvement to my skin. And then, I stopped using tretinoin completely. My skin cleared up. Well, cleared up to the point it was at before tretinion. So, I used solely clyndamicin, which is just okay. On the contrary, this can work for some people. Stick with it for at least 2 months before you give up on it. I don't blame you if you do.

Really works. For those starting out, Persevere!
Reviewed on October 16, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review but I remember before starting my treatment I was skeptical of all the negative reviews although it may have been due to all the successful patients never writing reviews. I told myself if it worked I would write one to help my fellow acne sufferers.

So I have mild-moderate acne ranging from near perfect at times (constant visits to the dermatologist) to severe cystic acne (worst depression of my life). But after I turned 21 and I still had acne, I realized I had to do something about it. Before I've been on bp and doxy but I've never been persistent enough to try retinoids. I started out with Ziana and I had almost no side effects and it helped (sort of). I tried it for around 5 months but I would randomly break out quite bad at times. Then I moved to retin-a micro .04 and I've been using it for almost 3 months now and results!

I think the Ziana helped me transition but I still suffered from some breakouts during the first 2 months of retin-a micro (combination of regular breakouts, stress, and picking though I have to admit). In this sense the IB is not as bad as people think (although different for everyone). Just remember to persist, avoid touching your face, and moisturize and you'll have great results! Although it may be a bit early to say it, I have to say the confidence from having good skin is unexplainable. I should also note I'm taking bactrim at the moment. I might make an update at the 6 months mark as well.

Works wonders, if you know how to use it!
Reviewed on August 12, 2013

It was nearing the ending of summer and I was desperate to rid myself of my pimples & blackeads before school started. I came by Retin-A coincidentally from my sister, before then I had never heard of it. And, being an ignorant loaf, decided on the first night to load it on like spot treatment...

That was singularly one of the most horrible skin care decision I ever made. The next day, I litterally woke up to my whole face shedding like crazy! I was also red and irritated like hell. Of course I stopped using it immediately. It took my face 2 days to heal from all the burning, flaking, and irritation it wrought upon my poor face. My pimples were still there, however it did make my face a little brighter, something Dan's BP didn't do.

That's when I decided to smart up and actually read(I don't know what I was thinking before... Geez) about what I put on my face. So yes, it turns out retin-A is amazing an does all these cool things to your skin by pushing out all those dead cells(which causes the flaking) and can be used as an anti-aging cream. But I also read about the horrible purging period, and all the irritation, flakiness, and general depression people went through before their faces got better.

Was I really going to go through all of that torture? But I wanted my face to improve forever, right?? I live in Southern Cali, what if my face burns like crazy???

Well, I absolutely did not want to go through any of that "purging" period at all, I had school and I can honestly say I'd rather not bask in the humiliation it wrought me. But I still wanted to try Retin-A, since I had a lot of hyperpigmentation, which it had proven to lighten, and due to all of its rave reviews.

So the only solution was to go SLOW. Now I know many of the reviewers have used this about 10+ months before anything got better, but I can say that that my skin positively improved with retin-A cream 0.04% within 2 months. I am also on tetracycline(hormones) and spironolactone(oil control), but retin-A had been the defining factor to having almost cleared 99% of my acne and scar/hyperpigmentation.

My hypothesis is that what causes the purging period is how irritated and flaky your skin is, which causes more pimples and horror. It is also because retinoids HIGHLY POTENT, so your skin is definitely not used to it. The trick, I found, is to go slow, and to heavily moisturize. I used to have incredibly oily skin, but I brought that under control with spironolactone. Some of you might have problems with really oily skin if you don't moisturize properly when using this!!

So my regimen to avoiding the purging period was:

1. Wash face(I use some generic liquid lather)

2. Wait 10-20 mins

3. Every other day ONLY AT NIGHT:

Heavy moisturizer

2-3 drops jojoba oil

Pea-sized amount of retin-A cream 0.04%

I mix all of those on before putting it on my face gently. In the mornings I use a moisturizer with at least 30 SPF and 1 drop of jojoba oil(too much makes me shiny) before putting on my make up if I'm gojng out. I also moisturize daily with either a heavy moisturizer or jojoba oil or a mixture of the two. Now I've read that retin-A is less effective if not put directly on your dry skin, but take into consideration that this stuff is SUPER STRONG, and you will notice the difference either way! Also always use it at night, because sunlight decays its effectiveness.

I initally thought using this while goin to school everyday would suck, but my skin is flake-free, irritation-free, and brighter than ever! My pores have also gotten subtly smaller, and my blackheads have greatly lessened out. I do get some dry spots and redness when I'm careless with moisturizing/sunblock, but this stuff really, really works. If you find the right way to use it that suits your needs, it WILL improve your acne.

Acne: moderate to sever

Tretinoin .025 Gel: 1 Week Review
Reviewed on August 2, 2013

I've been using Tretinoin .025 Gel for about a week now. I apply it every other night for my little pink/skin colored bumps on forehead/T-zone.

So far, it's dried my skin out and made it pink :( my breakouts seem to have worsened a bit but nothing crazy. I have read that there is an initial breakout but since I have VERY mild acne to begin with I can deal!

BE WARNED: this product makes your skin SUPER sensitive since it sloughs away layers of your face like crazy. I've had to stop using my PanOxyl Cream Wash, because although it normally works for me, the Tretinoin makes my skin far too sensitive for the PanOxyl. I've switched to Cetaphil wash, Hibiclens wash and CeraVe moisturizer.