Page 3 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1382 reviews
Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Saved my skin after 10 years of battling with acne!
Reviewed on November 30, 2014

This product is worth a try I can assure you. I'm finally acne free after 10 horrific years. I wrote about this product on how it saved my skin on my blog along with a before & after photo at bellabae. net

Did not work!
Reviewed on November 28, 2014

At first i was using tretinoin 0.05 for about 3 weeks. Since then my acne was getting worse! So i went to the derm And she than prescribed me duac in the morning , doxycycline hyclate to use twice a day and tretinoin 0.05 (i have mild to moderate acne) using these my face ended up so bad and started to burn tremendously! I then made the decision to accept acne cause i knew god would heal me and send me a sign! I was watching youtube videos and out of nowhere pops acne.org regimen! I ordered the products but in the mean time i still had my duac and pills that i have taken . Watching dans regimen i realize i was washing my face wrong which was leading to irritation! I started using duac everymorning and night 15-30 min after washing my face with cerave gentle cleanser then wait 15-30 min again and put cerave mositerizeur. I also changed my diet stopped puttin make up on and started taking multivitamins. After a week if changing my regimen to dans acne.org regimen allong with doxy my acne has defnitley gotten alot better!! I was at the point where i just wanted to give up but i knew my god had a plan for me! This is workingg i suggest to watch dans regimen it helps!! Im seeing reaults everyday!

by tashadabest on 12/22/2014 18:58
stopped using everything all together and decided to get the acne.org treatment which cleared my face within two weeks! thee duac along with the cerave disclored my face, and made it red and swollen! plus it didnt get the job done. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING DUAC! USE ACNE,ORG TREATMENT IT WORKS WONDERS!
I don't know if this will ever work
Reviewed on October 30, 2014

I've been on this treatment for exactly 5 weeks and I can't tell you if things are getting better or not. First off, I was prescribed to use Retin-A 0.025% cream for nights, clindamycin phosphate 1% gel for mornings, and Minocycline oral antibiotics twice a day.

I'm a 15 year old male, and during the end of summer my acne erupted like a volcano. I broke out with insane amounts of pimples between my eyebrows I can't even tell you. I always had the occasional pimple here and there, but this was something different. The derm diagnosed me with mild inflamed acne, so he prescribed this treatment.

The 1st week, my acne's appearance remained the same, with my cystic acne's swelling going away. The 2nd week, everything stayed the same. The 3rd week, I started to get large cysts and recognized some dormant pimples. By the end of the third week, the cysts went away with the dormant acne still there. By the 4th week, my acne and scars became lighter, with an occasional pimple coming up. Today is my 35th day on this treatment, or 5th week, and I feel alot more dormant pimples coming up, acne and scars still there, and more acne beginning to rise. By the end of the 4th week, I was using Sodium Sulfacetimide 10% cleanser instead of cetaphil. I've seen about three more pimples since using the cleanser, but I'm not positive if its helping this treatment or not. I'm not sure if this treatment will ever work, even after reading all of these reviews to stay patient and go through the process. My dermatologist said I'm almost like a month ahead of treatment, but I know he's probably bullsh*tting me.

by user623 on 11/16/2014 14:22
Cetaphil Cleanser was very drying on my skin, but it generally is not for everyone. What I have learned...no matter what try to be consistent, unless you are confident that something is making you break out for about two weeks. Just my ten cents. You will always break out until your skin adjusts, even with higher dose of tretinoin.
A MIRACLE
Reviewed on October 26, 2014

I've had acne, pretty bad acne, for the last 4 years. It has destroyed my confidence, made me decide to take many "sick days" so that I didn't have to go to school, and took me away from living my life to the fullest. Life sucks when you can't look other people in the eye, or when you cry every time you look in the mirror. I've been on many many antibiotics and prescription topicals that haven't worked. I used a combination of acanya and epiduo along with antibiotics for over 5 months, only to see little to no improvement. I got frustrated and upset and decided to be a little selfish and use some of my sister's topical (tretinoin) that she was prescribed from a different dermatologist several months back (her skin has really cleared up). After a few days of use, my skin became the most red and itchy and dry and irritated that my skin has EVER been. My skin looked awful. I stopped using it and applied moisturizer on my skin as much as I could, but it burned a ton. I was also breaking out in a rash under chin and down my neck so I decided to use hydrocortisone cream on my neck and face. It burned, but after applying it a few times throughout a day and night, my skin was back to about normal and it was like my skin shedded a complete layer of skin, I had so much dry skin peeling off my face. After the dry skin peeled off, it left my face a LOT clearer.

I have now used this product sparingly for over a week now and my skin has NEVER LOOKED BETTER IN FOUR YEARS. Use this product as instructed and ease into the treatment to know how it will treat you. This has been the best product for acne that I have ever used and although my blemishes are not all gone, this product also seems to do a good job of fading the red pigmentation that acne leaves behind.

This product has been a miracle for me as there was a point that I decided to just almost give up. Stay faithful acne sufferers! You're not alone and there IS a product out there for you!!

Definitely works!! (after months)
Reviewed on October 20, 2014

After using many acne medications ( never used Dan's BP though), Retin-a (0.025%) stood out as the solution to clear my acne. Every night I put a lot of Retin-a (0.025%) on my skin for 3 months and my skin was almost clear. I knew in a few more weeks I would be completely clear and It turned out to be true. Retin-a is one of the few products that clear my acne. The Retin-a I got from the doctor was a very easy to spread cream, very creamy ( 0.025%). Definitely recommend it!!

Pros:

Clear acne completely

New skin ( made my skin very white)

Cons:

Takes along time to work ( 3 months at least)

Irritates skin at first ( redness, itchiness)

Makes skin oily and shiny ( at least for me) ( its shiny because it makes your skin very thin)

Dry flaky skin ( only at beginning)

by watwatwat on 12/18/2014 09:50
my skin got really oily too. what did you do for the oil? did you stop the treatment and did you get your normal (not-oily) skin back? or were you using products to combat excess oil? because i have really oily skin now and i didnt use to have this much oil on my skin. i could really use some help. thanks!
Awful experience with Retin-A
Reviewed on October 20, 2014

I want to start by saying that this product apparently has worked for many people, but please be aware that it does NOT work for everyone. I have been struggling with moderate acne since my teens (I'm now 31). I went to the doctor and she prescribed Retin-A. She did not warn me that my acne might get a LOT worse before it got better, and for an extended period of time.

I really wanted to give this a shot, but after 9 weeks on the product and my acne was significantly WORSE than before I started using Retin-A, I just couldn't take it anymore. It was difficult to cover all of the cysts that were popping up on a daily basis with makeup, I started avoiding leaving the house, and I didn't want my boyfriend to see me without makeup. It was terrible, and it was affecting my self-esteem as well (I am normally quite a confident individual). Who wants to suffer through weeks and even months of painful, cycstic acne in the hopes that your acne may or may not finally clear up?!

I finally decided to explore a natural route, and about a week ago I went to see an acupuncturist who specializes in Chinese Medicine. I stopped using Retin-A the same day. I received an acupuncture treatment, started taking Neem herbal supplements daily, and have reduced my carbohydrate intake. To wash my face, I'm using a natural Syrian soap called Chami, that's it. No moisturizer needed. Almost ALL of my cysts from using Retin-A have already dried up, my skin is much less oily, and I'm feeling so much better about my skin! I'm also using a Fuller's Earth mud mask every other day (commonly used in India, called Multani Mitti).

I can't believe I spent all this time on Retin-A when a natural approach would have worked much better in the long run. It's only been a week, but the results so far have been very promising. If you're going to use Retin-A, just make sure you understand the risks!

by Chugs on 11/05/2014 00:12
i experience the same thing...been on retin a for a month now from 1 cyst grow to 5 cysts and now my face look horrible..
Tretinoin has literally changed my life
Reviewed on October 2, 2014

I have suffered from acne and cystic acne for 10 years. I have tried almost EVERYTHING there is to try from topical to oral treatments. I recently stopped taking minocycline after 5 years of use. I regret taking that because I now have to live with the side effects of taking an antibiotic for so long with results of hyper pigmentation, yellowing of the eyes, and gums/tooth discoloration. Anyway, the day I stopped taking minocycline, I began my treatment with tretinoin. It has been six months and my skin is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am no longer embarrassed to go without makeup in front of my boyfriend and it is such a freeing state of existence. Those with acne will understand what I mean. There still is slight discolorsfion from years of acne but it is improving every day. Please, please, please give tretinoin a chance. It works, just be patient!! It took 2 months for me to be happy with my skin. Hope this incredibly long review helps :)

by RachelScarlettt on 10/17/2014 20:38
What dosage did you use, .05 or .01? And how do you think it helped with your pores, acne scars and over all complexion?
Tretinoin + other products cleared my acne in 2 WEEKS
Reviewed on September 30, 2014

I had recently completely switched up my acne treatment medications. I switched my birth control to Loryna, started taking doxycycline hyclate (sp?) twice a day, and I also take 1 vitamin to improve skin, hair, and nails. On top of that I started using Tretinoin cream 0.025%. I watched a ton of youtube videos to see what it was all about and I watched and read all negative things. I was kinda scared to see how it would work on my skin so I have been using it every other night and wow, I have not had 1 breakout since. Before, I had a new breakout daily, sometimes more depending on stress but now all my acne has gone away. All I have left is a few acne scars from my really bad cystic acne below my nose and that will take time to go away. This product has made my skin a little dry, so I use lots of moisturizer and try to stay away from liquid makeup. But the dryness is nothing too bad. I would definitely recommend trying this product.

by RachelScarlettt on 10/17/2014 20:39
Do you think it helped your pores at all?
Also use other products
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

I've been using tretinion cream off and on for almost 15 years. You must have patience with it and give it at least 6 months. Also to note; I tried it without benzoyl peroxide or sylic acid wash and it did not work. I'm 28 so I've tried all different approaches to this. If you keep using it when you get older your skin will look much more youthful. Can't hurt to add this with your regimen of other products!

Smooth Sailing So Far...
Reviewed on September 13, 2014

I've been using Retin-A .08% and a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash since August 31st, 2014. I've had mild acne since 6th grade, I'm in 12th now and it's stayed relatively the same. So far, I've definitely noticed that my skin has become a lot smoother and my hyper pigmentation is DEFINITELY fading. As for the first 2-3 week 'horror' period of breakouts, mine haven't been severe whatsoever, which really surprised me! I was absolutely terrified that my acne would be seriously aggravated for this period, as it was for many other people using this medication. I had a few stray pimples pop up on my cheeks, but they were gone within 3 days MAX. My forehead is the worst area as of now, but it's quickly healing! They're bothersome but are easily taken care of with the BP face wash. I do have peeling, mostly around my mouth and chin, but a quick application of Cera-Ve moisturizer clears it right up and I'm good for the day! There's been absolutely no redness, either. Though, I do have a sneaking suspicion that my 2-3 purging isn't bad because of the Deja Vu Exfoliator I used before switching to Retin-A. I'm not trying to advertise for another product, but maybe see if anyone else encountered this and what it could mean? When used once a week the exfoliator took off the first layer of dead skin, which is essentially what Retin-A does, so maybe my skin wasn't so bad to begin with which is why the purge period wasn't/isn't so bad? I don't know, replies would be appreciated! Just, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT think of using these two products together. So to sum up this review, I'd definitely recommend Retin-A, and patience IS key. If the regiment doesn't improve acne within the first 4-9 months, I'd definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist to talk about alternative. Retin-A just might not be for everyone!