Page 3 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1435 reviews

Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

MIRACLE
Reviewed on April 16, 2016

My acne was so bad and this stuff healed it after 6 weeks. No bull, like this stuff is amazing and reliable, just have to be patient.

by floppy27 on 06/05/2016 16:43
Did you use the gel or the cream? What strength?
it works, but will take a while
Reviewed on March 29, 2016

The first time I used Retin-A was over a year ago, and I remember using it for about 2 weeks and wondering why nothing was improving. However, my doctor told me to give it another shot, but to wait it out this time. I had moderate acne, mainly just the small red pumps down my T-Zone but especially on my forehead.

I started Retin-A around mid October (2015) and began peeling terribly and getting really bad acne (a sign that it is working; it has to get worse first) that peaked around early December. It was really a terrible time for me--I tried so hard to hide my acne and and didn't want to go outside or face people directly because it got so bad. But I stuck with Retin-A and by January, most of the pimples had disappeared, and I just had some darker marks left over from the acne. Now, it's almost April, and the scars have been gradually fading away.

TL;DR: Retin-A really works, but you have to be consistent with it even when the acne is getting worse.

i love it!
Reviewed on March 27, 2016

hello everyone! for the past few months I was suffering with horrible big pus-filled acne and I had try everything to cure my acne. It was such a long journey. I have never been so happy as I am now because my skin is now clear and there is only acne marks left. my routine is, on the morning I wash my face then apply benzaz ac 5 gel on my acne area. just apply it thinly. then after 30 mins, apply moisturiser. on the night, i apply retin a cream. 0.05. my skin started to clear after 1 monts of using this routine. besides, to avoid the initial purging I took doxycycline for 1 month only. I promised myself to write a review here and inspire others to be patient and wait for the result. I am so happy and grateful for what I am now. be patience because retin a is amazing. seriously, I really love it.

Decent product
Reviewed on March 6, 2016

Currently suffering from mostly acne marks, but i still have a few pimples. Am 22 now and have had acne for years, the last 4 years i've been getting a ton of leftover acne marks. My acne marks are on my lower face (cheeks/sides of mouth & under my chin) My dermatologist prescribed me Tretinoin microsphere .04% and clindamycin phosphate topical lotion 1%. Been on it for almost a month now (i use tret every other night and clind every morning), only change i've seen is my skin has gotten smoother but my acne marks are still there. I do believe they are fading but i'm not sure if its the medicine or just time. (I've had these marks for easy a year) I am also taking 500mg of Vit-C twice a day so that may be helping it as well. I do believe the clindamycin has really helped me stop breaking out, ive only got a few pimples now.

I do have a question about the Tretinoin, everyone is saying they have a 'purge' but i've been using it for almost a month and have not broken out at all (not like i have a problem with that though!) and ive only gotten peeling skin a few times. Is this normal? I'm not sure if it's working or not.. I took this stuff years ago and the first week i broke out horribly, so maybe now i just don't have as much 'junk' in my face?

Patience is a virtue
Reviewed on March 5, 2016

I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 14. I'm now 26 and still suffering. I've tried everything under the sun!! I'm on week 8 of Tretinoin .5 cream and let me tell you that you definitely need patience when it comes to this medication. I am red, broken out and dry. I've been using FAB Ultra Repair Cream for dryness and it's pretty helpful. Otherwise I've been super depressed because as we all know living with acne is embarrassing and terrible. Reading your positive reviews is extremely helpful and I'm trying to be patient. Hopefully I'll get some good results soon because I haven't been wanting to leave my house or look at anyone for the past month and a half. I'm just looking forward to the day when I can feel good about myself again.

by vajane on 04/02/2016 14:06
Just keeping you all updated I'm almost on week 12 of tretinoin and I don't have any active cysts just a few old scars. IT'S AWESOME. I also started spironolactone (100 mg) about 4 weeks ago, so I definitely think that helped and I've noticed my oiliness improving slightly. I honestly started tretinoin to get rid of my cray cray blackheads but haven't noticed much improvement in that department 🙃 So hopefully soon? I have also noticed that a baby laugh line I had is very hard to see now so that's cool. I'll keep updating.
by Kokolita on 05/08/2016 17:55
I know it's difficult. I wish I found this product when I was only 26. I've had acne my entire life and it took until I was in my 40s for get prescribed Retina. I'm 50 now and still use it every night! I might get one pimple sporadically! I can deal with one zit a month! Hang in there and be patient like everyone says. You will be sooo happy with the results. One another positive note, You skin will stay looking much younger. As I said I'm 50 and do NOT have one, single wrinkle yet. Everyone thinks I'm in my late 40s. Retina is a life saver. Good luck to you hun!!
by vajane on 05/10/2016 03:51
thank you for your encouraging words!!
by vajane on 05/10/2016 03:54
i am almost on month 17 and still not getting the results i want. ive added spiro and birth control for hormonal acne so hopefully that helps!
Works very well
Reviewed on February 25, 2016

After years of being on various topicals and antibiotics, I've finally found the right combo of medications for my acne. I have cystic & nodular acne, but it has always just been a couple of active cysts at a time. My acne is pretty much limited to just my t-zone, which is super oily. The rest of my face is normal/dry skin. I currently use Retin-A at night, Finacea in the morning, and wash my face with over-the-counter salicylic acid face wash. I've been on this combo for about a year and a half and my face is 90-95% clear. Any pimples I do get these days go away quickly. They never turns into those massive cystic pimples I used to get. I am in my early 30s and am really glad that Retin-A helps prevent wrinkles. I don't have to worry about adding any other products to my routine. With Retin-A, less is more. Too much product will cause dryness, redness, and peeling. I (gently) use a rotating facial brush every morning to help slough off some of the flakiness. I also use a moisturizer every morning before applying makeup.

Not quite 5 stars yet, but getting there!
Reviewed on February 25, 2016

I started using Tretinoin 0.01% gel 16 days ago (i know not long), but my active pimples on my cheeks are so smooth now! There is still scarring/discoloration, but i am very impressed. I read a lot of reviews saying that your skin will purge, but mine has done nothing but improve everyday. Makeup applies so much smoother and evenly now! I am obsessed and pray that this continues to clear up my face. I would recommend to anyone! PS: I was putting rubbing alcohol on my face as a spot treatment prior to using this prescription, that may be why i didn't have the initial "purge". Also, I read that the gel is better for acne because the cream may clog pores (just FYI).

This cream works wonders!
Reviewed on January 6, 2016

This review for people who have really sensitive skin. I used to have this product on my entire face for almost year and it not only cleared my ance, it repaired the damages left by the ance. However, one day my dermatologist told me that Stevia A stopped the production of the cream and i was literally out of it. Next, my ance started breaking again. I was so desperate, i went for isolaz thinking that it will solve everything. It did help my skin kickstart the purging phase. Here's the nightmare, i did let my skin rest after isolaz. I jumped right right straight back to using tretinoin, AHA and differin. When i felt the dryness, i didn't care, i literally continued. Please don't do any of what i did. If you do any laser, chemical peel or any treatment, let your skin rest for that day and then resume back the pimple cream and glycolic acid the following day. The reason i say this is because by the time i couldn't stand the dryness and wanted my skin to go back to normal, it was too late. My skin was already so so dry. I literally took almost a year to get my skin back to normal. In fact, my dermatologist told me that it is harder to treat dry skin with ance and it is true. I went through this myself and i know it's awful.

Back to Retin A, since it is back in production with Stevia A, i am using it now.

My routine now:

Dalacin lotion 0.1% (whole face) (morning and night)

Differin 0.1% (morning) (whole face)

Tretinoin 0.05% (nightly) (whole face)

Retin A 0.1% (nightly) (over the bumpy areas)

So one year later, i have decided to go back for isolaz. I have since gone for 2 sessions of isolaz and will be going for my 3rd session in 2 weeks time. It has been two weeks from the time i started my first isolaz and topical treatment as stated above. My skin have jump from feeling the many crazy bumps under my skin to whiteheads all over my skin and now to the disappearance of whiteheads day after day. I must say the purging came really fast with the isolaz. It was really scary but i told to just hang in there. The earlier the purging ends, the earlier my skin can start healing.

Btw, i highly recommend you to try out isolaz if you want to speed up the purging process. It works far better than a chemical peel since this is for active ance. Also, my dermatologist said that sebum glands will slow down after the 4th session. I will update you guys on my progress after my next isolaz.

Week 3

My dermatologist added an oral antibiotics and topical antibiotics to help reduce the severity of purging. I definitely do see a lot of the whiteheads and papules going away. However, new ones are still surfacing from the bumps under my skin

Week 4

I can now confidently use retin a on the sides of my cheeks and top of my entire forehead without feeling dryness. I guess my skin has gotten used to it. On the side note, i noticed that more of the under skin bumps are appearing to the surface as well. Nothing huge or anything scary. Also, i am now on topical and oral antibiotics. That is certainly helping as well.

Week 5

I went for my 3rd isolaz session. This time round, i saw a significant reduction in my ance. My skin felt smoother and glowly. There lesser bumps and pimples after the isolaz session. My advice to all of you out there if you are intending to go for isolaz. Please make sure that your isolaz sessions apart are no longer than 2 weeks. Also, make sure you go for at least 4 sessions. That way you will reap the maximum effect of the isolaz treatment. If not you will just be wasting your money. Two weeks from now is my 4th isolaz session, i will update you guys then.

Week 6

The under skin bumps all appeared as whiteheads. They are all over my chin, side of my cheeks and forehead. This all started to happen when i used retin a over my entire face. Therefore, i think the purging from the cream has just started for me. On the side note, i am no longer feeling any form of dryness on my skin.

Week 7

I just got my 4th isolaz treatment. This time it took away all the under skin bumps with it. All i am left with is whiteheads. My dermatologist told me that enthromycin is gonna take care of that. I have noticed that my skin feels a lot less cluttered. I am have whiteheads here and there of my face. Overall, my skin has definitely made a lot of progress since my 1st isolaz.

To everyone out there struggling with acne, try to hang in there. Moreover, know that since you started retin a, you are already making progress day by day. Soon enough, you will be at the finishing line. In the meanwhile, just try and focus on something else. Your friends ain't gonna abandon just because you have acne. True friends will embrace you.

week 8

All the whiteheads have somehow subsided overnight. They were still really huge the night before. I am just left with a couple of pimples. When i touched my face this morning, the bumps were seriously almost all gone. I am now really sure that the creams are definitely taking effect. 3 days from now will be my next isolaz session. I believe that is going to take care of the remaining acne.

by Laurenpaige on 03/10/2016 13:34
This will be the final update i will giving everyone. My acne has entirely subside. All i am left with is just Post hyper pigmentation marks. I believe the routine did work to get my acne away. However, the treatments did really help to quicken the process as well. In total, i went for 5 isolaz treatment, 1 chemical peel and 2 carbon peel with blue light treatment. That pretty much subsided all my acne. All i have to say is that this treatment does work. If you are having a hard time going through this right now, please tell yourself to keep. Everyday your skin is trying to fight off the acne, it will one day win the battle. Stay strong. The day where your clear skin is just around the corner. In the meanwhile, be diligent with using retina a and all the other topical and/or oral antibiotics. It will work. Have faith! I literally saw no hope in my skin and felt depressed for a period of time so i definitely know how it feels. Trust me. This routine works. You can do it.
It will test your patient
Reviewed on February 9, 2016

This product is legit, it took about 6 weeks to see noticeable changes, from week 1-4, it was hell. like HELL. I was near depression and could not look at people in the eye from my purge. But from about week 6 onward, it got better. I'm on week 10-11 at the moment, and my skin has stayed pretty good, no new white heads or any inflamed acne, just left with a dozen red/brown marks. Again, I'm being patient on the marks and do hope over the next couple of month I will have smooth and clear skin.

I also took minocycline (50mg) and BP 2.5% (morning) as side treatment.

Overall, highly recommended, makes you a stronger person too by testing your patient.

by Danedane on 03/24/2016 03:15
did you apply retin-a everyday? can you please tell me your routine because we both have the same product.
Don't Fear THE PURGE, this treatment works
Reviewed on February 1, 2016

I have mild acne that I have been managing for about 8 years with BP. With BP I consistently had about 3 -12 zits on my face at any one time. So I decided I might try and get a prescription for something else and give it a try. After reading lots of reviews here and other forums I was terrified about looking like a pizza for a couple weeks after starting this cream. But here is the breakdown of how my results looked:

Week 1:

(Personally) Noticeable smoothing of areas that did not have acne. (Probably not noticeable to others)

Week 2:

Continued smoothing of skin without acne on it, some reduction of acne

Week 3(My purge):

My purge looked like a pretty regular outbreak, I got about 5 new zits that were of pretty average size and duration. Definitely nothing that would be extremely noticeable to those around me.

Weeks 4-5:

Acne fading continued smoothing of all skin.

Weeks 5-16 (Present):

Rarely have more than 1 zit on my face at any 1 time. Zits that do appear are MUCH smaller than average, usually clear up within 1-3 days.

How I use this product:

0.25% Tretinoin nightly - followed by lotion

2.5% BP in the morning - followed by lotion

If you've been using BP for a while I don't think you'll find this treatment too drying, I have a feeling that complaint comes from people who are generally new to acne treatment.

This is not an overnight solution, it took about a month for my skin to be noticeably clearer to my girlfriend and people I hadn't seen in a while. At 3 months I was getting comments from lots of people about how clear my skin was.

Finally, DON'T FEAR THE PURGE. Remember, most people who post on the internet about something like that are only posting because they had a horrible experience, the people who had average symptoms or no purge are unlikely to come back and post about it. My doctor assured me that most people have very mild worsening of acne at first if at all. So If I were you I wouldn't do it in a month where you have any special ceremonies like graduation or something like that. Otherwise, I'd say your safe to give this a go. My skin has never looked clearer, softer or more healthy.

by SoulSalmonGirl on 02/18/2016 05:57
Hi! Your post has really motivated me to try this which I was prescribed over a week ago and have been too afraid to touch. However, did you wash your face with anything at night or just apply the retin-A? Thanks!