Page 2 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1356 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

VERY good product!! Patience is key
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

So I have struggled with acne since 12, it stopped around 16-19 and 6 months ago came back really bad! I am a 19 year old male and broke out pretty damn bad. Cystic acne all over my jawline and cheeks. I started taking tretinoin .025 and doxycyline for the first month. I am 9 weeks in and my face has changed a lot! I am breaking out a little but not nearly as bad as I was, I'm dealing with hyper pigmentation and some breakouts which is awesome! I have a great regimen that has worked great for me because I use couple other treatments on my face in conjunction with tretinoin. It takes time! I was like you sitting on my computer at night because I'm pissed how my skin looks and don't know what to do. Give this a try and give it time, I broke out and did have the initial breakout but so worth it! My skin can only get better from now, switching to retina-a .05 in couple weeks since my skin is easily tolerating the .025, if anyone has any questions on my regimen feel free to ask!

Advice- Day 1
Reviewed on August 12, 2014

I have just been prescribed this product (in .05%) by my dermatologist and today was my day 1 with it. I'm only a middle schooler, and the reviews from adults using this product say that they're skin was pretty irritated and flakey after about 2-4 weeks (which my doctor warned may happen to me). School starts in 3 weeks, and I'm nervous as to how bad I'll be broken out by that time. any advice how to control it? I'd hate to get discouraged when all the reviews say to be patient for the great results.

by Ssingh7 on 08/17/2014 07:26
Has your doctor talked to you about antibiotics during the first month or two to help control the initial breakout? Antibiotics are usually prescribed in conjunction with tretinoin (retina a) to help reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline pills
by Giselle1 on 08/18/2014 08:05
I used antibiotics simultaneously with tazorac and they did not reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline. I have not had success with multiple antibiotics whatsoever.
Tretinoin but be patient
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

Only cream that will actually work but may take a few months but will be worth it. I used tretinoin a few times and quit because I thought it was aggravating my acne but I now know that it gets all the bad gunk out first and brings the next skin cells up to the surface. I used this for about a month before taking accutane and haven't experienced an initial breakout so far( on day 9) .... Be patient

Don't Give Up
Reviewed on August 6, 2014

I've been using Tretinoin for almost 15 weeks now and let me tell you it hasn't been all rainbows and sunshine. I am a 21 year old female that was getting painful cystic acne around my chin, mouth, and cheeks that seemed to spring up out of nowhere. I went to my dermatologist who prescribed me a combination of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide for mornings and Tretinoin .05% for nights. I went through a bad initial breakout around my 3rd week in that lasted about my 6th week. I was VERY depressed and felt so hideous that I hardly left my house. If you're in this phase of your treatment...I know how you feel and what you're going through. The redness, itching, flaking, burning...are all really annoying side effects that can honestly seem to last forever and destroy your self esteem. I was very very ready to just throw the Tretinoin in the trash and never look at it again. Instead, I decided to research. Everyday I would come on this site and read the hopeful reviews and try to tell myself that I just had to stick with it. Eventually, after about 2 and a half months I stopped getting the painful acne. Pimples became few and far between. The burning went away and the flaking became manageable. The pimples I get now are almost invisible and go away much quicker. I can finally look people in the eyes again without feeling disgusted with myself. But the number one thing is...you HAVE to stick with it. DON'T GIVE UP. And don't listen to the reviews that say they've only been using it a few weeks or a month. This takes time! It even says to give it up to 6 months. Now I'm dealing with hyper-pigmentation...but Tretinoin will help with that too. You MUST MUST MUST use it everyday. Don't skip. And always wear sunscreen. Tretinoin works by speeding up the cell turnover process...making you really susceptible to sunburn. I'm not 100% where I want to be...but that's only because I have become obsessed with my skin. However, I'm light years better than where I was 15 weeks ago. Don't stop it. Keep telling yourself that Tretinoin is a marathon...not a sprint. Don't give up.

by rhena12 on 08/17/2014 11:03
Oily thing is the one that clog our pores actualy its simple.... as if just figure out if we elliminate the oily stock in our face then problem solve it cause acne thats why.... cleansing our face like 4x a day use cetaphil oil cleanser to prevent more oil to come out it cleanse it and no oily skin equals no bacteria sticking to the skin its easy now to treat faster by using tretinoin... if your skin getting flacky here us what to do first use dove soap then nxt cetaphil next tretinoin or benzoyl peroxide
by rhena12 on 08/17/2014 13:30
by Megs410 on 08/18/2014 14:49
Having oily skin is not the only thing that causes breakouts. Even people with dry skin can breakout very badly. You need a balance. I do wash with cetaphil but I only do it twice a day...overwashing your face can actually dry the skin out which in turn makes the skin produce more oil which makes more acne. I do recommend cesspool though it's very good for sensitive skin!
by Megs410 on 08/18/2014 14:51
*cetaphil not cesspool
by kenixkoeh on 09/18/2014 06:33
Hi Megs , im using this since 5 September, and now my skin still prompting with the Big Acne, painful n redness. and it left very dark brown colour around the acne area :( i feel so fractructed and sad as no improvement to be seen and the skin getting worse. just would like to seek for your advice, is that fine using Tretinoin without moisturizer ? im so afraid to put on any other skin care. Im using acne wash from Oxy.
"Maybe I Just Need to Keep Hopeful?"
Reviewed on August 1, 2014

I've been using Tretinoin .05% cream for a month and a half and I know off the bat that some people will say that that's not even a long enough period for it to work for some people but so far no good. I hate this concept that you have to use a product for a couple of months to actually see the "possible" effects that it "might" have. Right now I've been on Doxycline, Tretinoin, and Clindamycin for almost two months and I'm no better than I was before I walked into the Derms office. I'm really hoping that I'm one of the people I've read about that just take longer to see the results they want but after repeatedly being let down everything I've ever tried I'm conditioned to believe this concoction that the Dermatologist has cooked up is no different. I fear I'm one of those people who will never beat acne and honestly that just makes me really sad. Still, I'm hoping I can come back to this website in a while and update or change this review to 5 stars...

by Ssingh7 on 08/17/2014 07:28
Have you used it consistently? What regimen are you using?
by Jev on 09/09/2014 16:42
You will beat it just continue to use your medicine
tretinoin 0.05%
Reviewed on July 28, 2014

I have been on this stuff for two weeks and my skin has gotten which is to be expected but I was wondering if anyone recommends the 1% instead of the 0.05 % to speed things along if not how long should I wait to see real results with the 0.05%. it has made my skin overall smoother but it has also made my skin oily

by gggchic on 07/31/2014 23:10
You shouldn't expect great results in such a short period of time. It takes months for users to see results. I mean, think about it. If a product worked so quickly, don't you think it would be doing serious damage to your skin? It's common sense.
by Ssingh7 on 08/17/2014 07:30
You have to let the medicine do the work. Switching to the higher percentage is only going to make your face peel much worse because you aren't even used to the lower percentage yet. I took tretinoin .025 and I didn't see results until 8 weeks, I'm on my 9th week and bearily breaking out.
Read this study before you take Tretinoin
Reviewed on June 25, 2014

This stuff does work, but I wanted to share this study so that if you decide to take Tretinoin, you'll be making that decision with your eyes wide open regarding the risks. There have been studies done that link these topical retinoids to internal cancers and increased mortality rates.

Here's one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19153339

Granted, the connections still need to be explored in more depth, but given the huge profitability of this product for drug companies, I wouldn't be surprised if they are working hard to prevent further research into the potential hazards of Tretinoin.

by me7 on 09/12/2014 05:38
People, EVERYTHING causes cancer and high mortality rates!
Take it slow!
Reviewed on May 25, 2014

Make sure you follow your doctor's instructions. I started using it too much/frequently and it caused a lot of breaking out that resulted eventually in hypertrophic scarring. Make sure to start very gradually. I was traveling when I started and unable to see my dermatologist for a follow-up. I knew that there was a possibility of an initial breakout so when I used it and started seeing more and more cysts I thought that I should just get it over with and keep using it rather than backing off and waiting until I could see my doctor. I have scarring along my jawline as a result.

Used correctly and carefully I think it can be effective for maintaining skin. I don't think it's very helpful in situations where your skin is already angry and inflamed.

Tretinoin Gel
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

Okay let me just say I have been using this product for almost month now and my hyper pigmentation and red marks have faded a little tiny bit. My skin looks better but you will break out some days while using this. I have been having a big problem on my chin. I get huge pimples under the skin and they hurt a lot. I use ice to bring the swelling down. My dermatologist told me to start slow at first and use it 2-3 times a week. I used it 2 times a week for two weeks, then I used it for 3 times a week and now I'm using it mostly every day. He said give it a month until you actually start seeing good results. So far so good just have patience. Btw the acne on my chin isn't from this product it's from hormonal imbalance and I just started birth control because I don't know what else to do.

by lashley on 07/15/2014 23:44
Have you found an alternative to the birth control? I don't want to go back on birth control, but my chin is a mess. :(
Great for my cystic/hormonal acne!!
Reviewed on March 23, 2014

The major issue of my 20's (now 26) has been the deep cystic acne around my jaw, cheeks, chin which is hormonal in cause more than likely. Almost a year ago, I began using retina-A(.04%) at night, aczone in the AM and PM, and oral spironolactone (worked up to 100mg). I have used both other tx's successfully in the past, however this being my first retina-A experience, I was impressed (and with my stubborn acne, i am NOT easily impressed with meds). I was worried to try this because in the summer I am outdoors at the beach/in sun a large portion of the week, and although I make sure to use quality sunscreen and try to cover/shade my face when possible, I have had some gnarly sunburn that occurred super fast when on other meds in the past, so I proceeded with caution. My face was at its peak worst, so there was no "worse initial break out" however it did take around 1.5 months to start to clear. I could CLEARLY tell it was working because as soon as the zits appeared the healing process began within next day or two, and within that week the zit would be significantly better. Previously, the huge deep zits would take 2/3 WEEKS to heal. Even the remaining darker/red hyper pigmentation would fade WAY faster, which was my other skin woe. My skin became smoother over time as well. I was so impressed....too bad i hadn't discovered this sooner!

ADVICE:

only use a pea size or so amount like it says, when I used more, it really dried out my skin and caused those areas to be red and peel. I also realized it was important to use face lotion every morning and night which helped my skin a lot overall... the harsh winter made this occur occasionally as well.

I did not have much of an issue with my face becoming more sensitive to sunlight, just be diligent about reapplying the sunblock every 2 hrs.

I was originally taking the brand name product, but insurance stopped covering this and I went to purchase and it was $500.00 !!!!! wwhhhattt? So ask your doctor or look for RX rebate cards...I just got the generic gel for the first time which was 10-20$...hope nothing changes!

Give it a chance, it took a while to notice any effect, which can be discouraging.

I find it hard to trust online reviews because everyone's skin is different, but when my skin hits a "bad phase" every 2-3 years, the acne comes back with a vengeance and I rarely see any significant results from prescriptions, so I was so happy and impressed with the results from this... GOOD LUCK :)