Page 2 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1394 reviews

Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Just started. Need Advice!
Reviewed on May 18, 2015

I just started a new skin regimen after my visit to my dermatologist this past friday. She prescribed me 1% Retin A for the night, along with clindmycin gel. I also just started to take doxycyclin pills as well. However she has me wash my face with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide wash every morning. Has anyone else had this routine and seen results? Or any advice for the retin A and the dryness?

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:40
That is a lot of stuff you are having your skin deal with. I would ask your derm if having that much irritation is actually going to help or just make it worse. Sometimes to much is not the best thing. That is literally 3 things sucking moisture out of your face.
Please guide me.
Reviewed on April 28, 2015

Hi I'm 15 years old and I'm a female. I have been using this cream for a little over 2 weeks. Before using this product , I break out in the typical t-zone ( cheeks , chin , and forehead). I have mild acne but still noticeable. I'm very insecure about it. But I been flaking up with this product and it almost seems like I'm breaking out more then I did before this product. I'm also very red. I know have to be patient. But when should I see results ? Are my experiences so far normal ? I just would like to know because so far with this product , I'm discouraged.

by Moose77 on 05/01/2015 01:52
Breaking out more in the beginning is normal as it is bringing everything to the surface. Make sure you are waiting 20 minutes after washing your face before you apply to decrease irritation. Also use a moisturizer 20 minutes after you have applied the retin-a for the dryness. Cetaphil or cerave are good options. If you are really irritated you can wash your face, apply moisturizer, and then 20-30 minutes later apply the retin-a. It will not decrease the effectiveness. Hope this helps
by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:41
I agree 100% with Moose77. I looked like a lizard man a few mornings. put on some good non comedogenic lotion and re-apply as needed.
START SLOWLY...13 weeks in and seeing amazing results
Reviewed on April 11, 2015

When my doc first prescribed tretinoin, I did my due diligence and researched on the Internet. I got terrified 'the purge' would happen to me, as I had a bad experience with clindamycin in high school and I broke out pretty badly. I put off using T for weeks. But my boyfriend said to me one day, "You'll never know if you don't try it out - why would else this treatment be so popular if it didn't work?"

Here's some background: I am a 23 y/o Asian female with moderate acne since middle school, mostly painful and swollen papules/pustules that come up around my menstrual cycle. I'd have 2-3 big pimples on my face at a given time (mostly around my T zone), and some other random zits would pop up here and there. But the worst were the red marks that got left behind - I'd pop my zits (bad habit, I know) and then the marks would just not go away! My skin is naturally pretty oily, with some dry patches here and there bc of my eczema, but my complexion was always reddish and when I drank alcohol I'd always get Asian glow and my face would look splotchy. I had bad hyperpigmentation and the only way to improve my complexion was to first stop the acne. I was sick of having to rely on makeup and foundation daily to hide the zits, it was especially hard because I love to exercise and hated working out because I had to remove my makeup.

When I started T, I started VERY slowly. I used it twice a week for 3 weeks. The first three weeks my face flaked a bit, especially around the chin/mouth area. But I'd exfoliate every now and then and it'd take care of the flakiness. It never got to the point where I had patchy or broken skin, I found that moisturizing multiple times a day helped to control the dryness. I didn't experience a purge. The worst it ever got with the T was a few small whiteheads around my chin/mouth. But since T speeds up the rate of skin cell production, the zits went away and faded pretty quickly - a trend that would happen in the months to come, which was awesome. I didn't experience any 'purge' at any point in time. My skin started getting better, and by week 5-6 you could start to see some results. I stopped getting those painful hormonal zits that I usually get a few times a month, and it felt great. I was also taking minocycline for the first month I was on T, but I stopped after a while as I didn't think it was really making any impact.

After 3 weeks of 2x/week, I upped the T to 3x/week for another 3 weeks. Then I upped to 4x/week for 3 weeks. Now I'm at 4-5x a week, and my skin has adjusted pretty well. I'm 13 weeks in now. There's no flaking at all now and my complexion has improved so much. I stopped getting painful, swollen zits. I have virtually no acne anymore. At times there's a small whitehead or two, but those almost always fade after 2-3 days. My hyperpigmentation has improved as well, though that takes a bit longer to see big improvements for complexion. I've also started buffering now, as I'm getting a little lazy with having to wait every time I use T, so I'll mix moisturizer and T together and apply right after I wash. The other day, I went to work without using foundation! That was definitely a first for me, and it felt great.

I highly recommend using this product for acne, but you MUST be diligent about using it the correct way. I always see people say things like "I started T 2 weeks ago and I have been using it 3x week, my skin broke out!" Well, of course it would break out - you're not using it correctly. The key is to start slowly to make sure your skin adjusts, and to use it in a regimented scheduled way, making sure to wait at least 25 min between applications of T and moisturizer.

Here's my skin regimen, if that's of interest:

MORNING

Cerave or Neutrogena Cleanser

---Wait at least 25min

pea-sized amount of T

---Wait at least 25min but I like it give it up to an hour if I have time

Cerave Lotion and 3 drops jojoba oil (I use Now Foods Organic Jojoba Oil, it's actually great for oily skin. I would highly recommend this product to hydrate skin, it makes your complexion incredibly supple the morning after)

Other products

Panoxyl 4% benzoyl peroxide face wash, on days I do not use T (bp and T counteract each other so do not use on days you use T)

Philosophy Microdelivery Vitamin C Peel: for hyperpigmentation, this stuff is expensive but does wonders. I would only recommend this after your skin has adjusted to T (at least 3 months into treatment). I only use this every 1-2 weeks or so.

Good luck!

by anamejia21 on 05/16/2015 06:43
love this review! thanks for all the detail. I started retin A today with the clindamycin gel. She told me for the first week to use it every other day, then begin using it every night. But after reading your post i feel like thats a bad idea. Also she said to use Benzoyl Peroxzide wash in the morning and retin A at night. Should i not do that? Because you said they counter act each other?
not for sensitive and dry skin
Reviewed on April 7, 2015

im 16 i've been on this treatment for 2 year but I stopped using this after two day because I got a rash on my face it was red and it hurt really bad. DON'T GET RETIN-A!!!!!!

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:45
You've been on this treatment for two years, but stopped using it after two days? Your math does not compute. And yea it does hurt, like a MOFOBITCH. But then you look really awesome. I mean if you stick it out. Don't ruin this for other people because you candle handle it.
Good option for maintaining clear skin
Reviewed on March 14, 2015

Using this after accutane and I'm doing wonderful! Its helped a bit with my fine lines (I'm over 30), but not as much as I had hoped or I would give it 5 stars. It does dry you out a bit, so use every other day at first and/or in the winter if needed. So far so good! I've been on this about a year and a half.

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:47
They say it takes 2-3 years to get maximum results for just a wrinkle stand-point. But since you aren't using this for acne and only for "fine" lines I would suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon.
My results so far
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

I am a 22 year old female with mild-moderate acne. However, I started using MAC makeup on my face, and it caused a terrible breakout that just wouldn't clear up. So I went to my derm and he prescribed retin A coupled with clindamycin. I have only been using retin A (a generic brand, though) for roughly 4-5 weeks. I know it takes 6+ weeks minimum to work, so I am patiently waiting! It finally seems to be improving and I cannot wait to see results! I was a bit apprehensive to give it a try based on reviews, but I gave it a shot. I wanted to share my routine that seems to help a lot with the dryness/flaking/oil.

I'm the morning: I wash my face with Acne Free face wash, which is pretty mild with only 2.5% BP. I've used this for years and have always had good results. I use witch hazel on a cotton ball as a toner (I LOVE this and it is SO cheap!). In the morning, I use cetaphil oil control lotion (which seems to help a bit with the oil). A bit spendier, but worth it. I try to leave time to wait 10 min before putting on clindamycin because that's what has been recommended. However, being a flight attendant with an insane schedule, I only have time about half of the time to wait... And it's been fine. After that, I do my normal makeup routine.

HINT! The combination of both medications and the dryness make my skin SO oily (and previously I had normal skin) BUT I just use a thin layer of baby powder on a blush/bronzer beush over my makeup and I can go all day with no oil :) and trust me, I have tried the fancy bare minerals/MAC/Clinique cure for oil, and this has been my godsend. And, again, it's SO cheap!

PM routine: wash my face with acne free face wash again. Along with witch hazel as a toner. At night I use a heavier cetaphil lotion for dry skin. It's far too heavy and "oily" for day wear, but it does a lot of repairing at night! non comedogenic, of course. Again, I leave it for 10ish min (or more) and apply the retin A. A SMALL amount! Pea sized is all :)

If I could stress one thing, it would be START SLOW. I did every 3rd day for 2 weeks, every other day for 2 1/2 weeks. I JUST started using it every day. It has helped a lot with the dryness.

I didn't have much of the initial breakout I read about right away, it got a little worse, but nothing major. About the 3rd or 4th week I started breaking out more. But nothing terrible or cystic and they clear up fast. I have been very unhappy with my skin the last couple of weeks, but I can tell things are getting better. There are horror stories, but I can tell it will be worth the wait, and the wait hasn't been that bad. My advice is to take things slow, use everything in moderation, moisturize, and be patient. I will review this in a few weeks with an update. I really just wanted to help those currently struggling with dryness and oil who are going through this process as well. Good luck!

by jojomc on 05/11/2015 02:24
I've been prescribed the same meds u gave gotten a few wks now. I started a strick regimen and I've been going through the breakout phase unfortunately. I would just like to know how is the e update since u last posted. It would be great to hear an initial review from u. Thanks!!
Awesome
Reviewed on February 18, 2015

In my freshman year of high school i started breaking out really bad. I had a whole bunch of white heads and red bumps all over my cheeks it literally covered my cheeks. I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed me Retin-A with clindamycin. This stuff cleared my acne within 2 weeks. I was so happy that it cleared up my face. You only need to use a pea size amount of the Retin-A a little goes a long way. The clindamycin was a lotion which i used in the morning. I used the Retin-A at night. The reason why i give this a four though is because I ran out of this medication and was to lazy to get a refill. I stopped using it for about 2 months and broke out again. I tried going on it again but my skin got immune to it. Now my acne is been the worst its ever been in years Im very depressed and sad at the moment. My acne now covers my cheeks again and my face is scarred and discolored I think its time to go on oral pills. Ive never tried oral pills before I pray to god and i hope they work because i dont know what to do and high school is not fun for me right now.

by keiwilson1 on 02/27/2015 10:28
Hang in there..high school these days can be a nightmare..were you taking the Retin-A cream or gel?
by keiwilson1 on 02/27/2015 13:39
by Nikkixyooj on 03/24/2015 04:40
I used the Retin-a cream because the gel willdry out your skin. The cream will make your face dry but not as bad I didnt even need to use a moisturizer my face was fine.
Only positive results!
Reviewed on February 10, 2015

I'm a 20 year old female, with prior terrible hormonal cystic acne. I have only been using retina a (0.05%) for a few weeks. However, prior to starting this medication I also orally took Doxycycline for about a month. I HIGHLY recommend starting this way, in order to avoid a tremendous initial breakout. The Doxycycline was able to kill all of the bacteria on the surface, and beneath my skin, so I never actually had an initial breakout at all! In fact, from the second I started using Retin A I fell in love. Since most of my acne has already cleared up due to the antibiotics, Retin A is mainly my source for fading my very hyper-pigmented acne scars, and preventing future acne flareups. So far, I am very very happy with this product. It is excessively drying, which is a downside for sure, considering I already have moderately dry skin, but with the right skin care routine (I am using Cera Ve Hydrating Cleanser, Cera Ve Moisturizer, and Cetaphil sunscreen spf 50 regardless of the weather) I think the dryness is a minor downside. I cannot wait to see what this does for the remainder of my scars. I have always been very self conscious of my skin, and never been able to be seen without makeup, and slowly, but surely I feel like I can finally have fresh, clear and exposed natural skin!

by GarethBale13 on 02/19/2015 07:19
Hey! I'm on Minocylcline antibiotics right now (not sure what you're on) and was thinking about trying Retin-A. I have slightly dry skin naturally as well and already own Cerave moisturizer. Would you recommend Retin-A and the Cerave cleanser/sunscreen?
by al477 on 02/21/2015 00:46
Yes. I am on the Doxycycline antibiotics, and I am fairly positive they are very similar. I really like pairing the cera ve with the retin a, because its gentle, and while using such harsh chemicals and antibiotics, you don't want to use another cleanser that will dry your skin out and irritate it even more. I have not used the cera ve sunscreen, but from my experience with the products I would assume it would be effective. Just using sunscreen is a very important step to do every day because antibiotics and retin a will make your skin very light sensitive and you don't want to ruin all your hard work by getting a sunburn on top of it!
Helps my oily skin, but not my acne
Reviewed on February 6, 2015

I have treatment resistant moderate acne. Very little prevents new acne on my face from forming, and this is no different.

However, this is a fairly drying product, and i use it every night because it seems to reduce the amount of oil on my skin. I think this drying helps my existing pimples go down faster.

Note: Its effectiveness is reduced with exposure to benzoyl peroxide or direct light (sun or flourscent), which is why you will probably be instructed to apply it at night. It's a shame - I would LOVE to apply it in the morning - my face would be so much less greasy during the day!

Overall, I recommend it, though I wouldn't expect anyone with moderate/severe acne to see significant clearance from it.

Not Worth It
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

Tretinoin was prescribed to me after clindamycin which did absolutely nothing. Started with tretinoin .025% and then bumped up to .1% and still nothing. I think its not worth it

by BadgalG on 01/22/2015 04:45
My dorm perscribed clindamycin gel for the morning and tretinoin for night and it worked perfectly for me! your should try them together.