Page 2 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1362 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Brutal
Reviewed on September 10, 2014

I took this treatment for 4 weeks and let me tell you, it was just awful. My skin stayed about the same for about 3 weeks, no better and maybe a little worse. But the 4th week, it was dreadful. Worst breakout ever! 3 or 4 new pimples every day and huge! I gave up on it for a few days now and it has subsided back to just normal which still sucks. I know the meds take time, but come on, I couldnt even go out in public I was so embarrassed. After 4 weeks shouldnt I notice some sort of difference. I want to go back on it, but im afraid..

by Moniqueliz on 09/23/2014 13:41
How's your skin doing now?
by FancyShmancy on 10/19/2014 16:09
hey! Ive been on it for a month and a half and I only just saw results
works after 3 weeks
Reviewed on September 9, 2014

Day 20- no improvement, new pimples still forming, acne scares still there, may even be getting worse. Felling very down

About 3 days after my skin cleard up. In a month or so I think I will have perfect skin

Use clymidicin gel with this

by Moniqueliz on 09/23/2014 13:42
How's is the scar? Is it fading away?
What should I do?
Reviewed on September 5, 2014

I started using this on 29th August. This is my second week and I'm breaking out like crazy. It's very itchy. I feel like giving up. I feel like crying whenever I feel my face with the back of my hand. I'm worried that the breakout will get worse since I have a graduation ceremony to attend on 15th October. What should I do? Stop using it or continue with it? What's going to happen if I stop using it? Can I use anything that can calm my skin (breakout) down? How long is this breakout going to last if I continue using it? Please let me know. Thank you.

by Megs410 on 09/09/2014 03:28
Hi :) I just wanted to let you know that it is very normal to break out during the first few weeks of using this! The cream is essentially pushing all the pimples underneath your skin to the very top...the medication in Tretinoin makes this happen really fast. Don't stop using it now as its just begun to work! Trust me, the first couple weeks on this are terrible...the itching/flaking is the worst...but you have have have to give it time. I know what you're going through...my initial breakout lasted about 3 weeks and they were the 3 weeks from hell. If you need someone to talk to, send me a message on here and I'll try to help. Keep going.
by Rohy on 09/09/2014 12:53
I would keep using it. I know what your going threw. Acne sucks and affected me so negatively in high school. I have this cream as well and have not used it yet because i have managed to control my acne for the most part threw pills and a little thing called Stridex Sensitive Skin Pads. I would highly recommend using those pads while your on this cream. The pads were recommended to me and worked amazingly for my skin, but that's just me. I would give it a try. Walmart usually has them for the cheapest price and you get bonus 20% more pads sometimes. It is the one in the green box and its the only one that wont dry skin. The red boxed pads will because it contains 2% salicylic acid and the sensitive ones contain aloe with only 0.5% salicylic acid. Give it a try dude and get out there and shine at you your graduation ceremony, no matter how your face looks. You made it this far and I'm sure you will make it out perfectly. Just stay happy! You got this โ—• โ—กโ—•
by Jev on 09/09/2014 16:26
Keep using it I was the same way but after the 3rd week my skin cleared up
by annette63 on 09/16/2014 06:18
Murad sulfur mask at night! Sulfur based products are calming and healing. That and an antibiotic prescription.
by kenixkoeh on 09/19/2014 08:21
how is your skin condition now ? im using this since 5 September, and now my skin still prompting with the Big Acne, painful n redness. and it left very dark brown colour around the acne area :( i feel so fractructed and sad as no improvement to be seen and the skin getting worse. just would like to seek for your advice, is that fine using Tretinoin without moisturizer ? im so afraid to put on any other skin care. Im using acne wash from Oxy.
by Happycamper934 on 10/07/2014 09:21
Keep using it! Make sure you wait 20 minutes after washing your face to apply the cream/gel. Works wonders if you stick with it. Took me 6 months to finally go without make up and I had horrible cystic acne. Good luck! :)
Tretinoin Cream 0.025%
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

I have been using this cream for 3 weeks today and I am not sure if it is ever going to work. I am 22 years old and I have always had perfect skin, but I have been battling acne now for about 6 months and I am just at my breaking point. My dermatologist prescribed me Minocycline 100mg and Tretinoin Cream 0.025% but 3 weeks after taking Minocycline I had some terrible reactions to the medicine so now I had to quit taking that and I am only using the cream. Everyone keeps telling me to be patient but that is EASIER said then done. I have let acne control my entire life for the past 6 months..I go to work and then I come home and get in bed. I feel like all it is doing is making my blackheads worst and it's just not working! Not to mention I already have horrible red spots all over my fave that I just can't seem to cover with makeup or ANYTHING. I'm hoping someone knows what I am going through and can calm me down because all of my friends still have perfect skin and they just don't understand what I am going through

by Moniqueliz on 09/05/2014 16:36
I'm going through the same thing with retin-a. I never breakout this much. I am depressed and have very low self-esteem right now. I just want to stay in bed all day and avoid the world. I even avoid lights. Some people think I'm crazy because they really don't know what I'm going through. It really affects me physically and mentally. I have a graduation ceremony to attend on 15th October. I don't have to look my best but I don't want to have this kind of breakout during my important day. I have been waiting for quite some time for this moment to come. I don't know how some people did it. They must be really strong. All I can do is pray. I will pray for you too and everyone who's suffering from acne. Time is the healer in this case. Once when we have our clear skin back, we'll be a much stronger individual. I know you might need someone to talk to so send me a direct message on twitter. My twitter id is lismonique.
by Jev on 09/09/2014 16:27
Trust me stick with it it will clear up
by Happycamper934 on 10/07/2014 09:24
I totally get what you're going through. I took minocycline for 5 years and I'm suffering with the side effects. I will never take anymore prescription drugs especially to treat acne. My advice is to stay on retin a, give it 6-7 months. I know that seems long but this has been the only cure for me and I've tried EVERYTHING. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
The game changer
Reviewed on August 23, 2014

I have been using tretinoin for almost 7 years now and it has been greatly beneficial to my skin. Tretinoin helped my skin to reduce the size of scars as well as help prevent blackheads.

Here are the combinations of topical applications I used with tretinoin

Tretinoin + Benzoyl Peroxide Cream + Aveeno Calming Cleanser = VERY DRY SKIN, peeling, redness, irritation, needed a great amount of moisturizer... sometimes the moisturizer was too weak to reduce the dry skin so I had to use something thick like sunblock.

Tretinoin + Oxy Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash = Dry skin, redness, a small amount of peeling

Tretinoin + Clindamycin Phosphate + Cetaphil Everyday Cleanser = Best results, didn't over-dry the skin, kept the skin nice and tight, seems like my pores are shrinking, scars are starting to level-off with the rest of the skin, no peeling, no dryness.

Tretinoin should be used at night because it makes your skin sensitive to UV rays as well as artificial sunlight. Try to apply this right before you go to sleep; my skin got oily when I applied this and went out. Only use a pea-sized amount to prevent over-drying/redness. Try to wash your face after 7-8 hours after you apply it on your face because it can irritate your skin.

made acne worse.
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

I'm a 21 yr old female. Ok so 4 months ago i was suffering with an oily tzone of whiteheads. So I started retin a 0.05% twice a week for 18 weeks. The first couple of weeks I purged suffered the ib then by week 7-8 it cleared and i was then left with these disgusting red marks. Till now the red marks are still here and i forgot to mention more whiteheads than before. Oh and my skin is still peeling. The only benefit i got from this was smooth texture and my skin evened out a bit. I'm thinking of going on tazorac. Has anyone gone on Tazorac right after retin a?

by Giselle1 on 08/18/2014 07:44
I used tazorac (gel) before switching to retin a (gel). The first time I used tazorac it worked great, but I stopped using it and the acne came back. The second time around wasn't so great and I'm now left with a lot of acne scars, red marks, and hyperpigmentation. I tolerated it really well and didn't even use lotion with it, but my skin peeled a lot and it was REALLY SHINY (for me that was a negative). So, I decided to switch to retin a and I'm definitely happy with retin a. My skin is a little dry (probably due to gel formulation), but it is not that oily or shiny. I have no peeling. My only concern is I started to break out in the T zone. I'm thinking about trying azelaic acid as I've heard it is an excellent acne treatment.
VERY good product!! Patience is key
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

So I have struggled with acne since 12, it stopped around 16-19 and 6 months ago came back really bad! I am a 19 year old male and broke out pretty damn bad. Cystic acne all over my jawline and cheeks. I started taking tretinoin .025 and doxycyline for the first month. I am 9 weeks in and my face has changed a lot! I am breaking out a little but not nearly as bad as I was, I'm dealing with hyper pigmentation and some breakouts which is awesome! I have a great regimen that has worked great for me because I use couple other treatments on my face in conjunction with tretinoin. It takes time! I was like you sitting on my computer at night because I'm pissed how my skin looks and don't know what to do. Give this a try and give it time, I broke out and did have the initial breakout but so worth it! My skin can only get better from now, switching to retina-a .05 in couple weeks since my skin is easily tolerating the .025, if anyone has any questions on my regimen feel free to ask!

by Juliand on 11/18/2014 01:38
Hey, What exactly is your regimen? Would love to know... Thanks.
Advice- Day 1
Reviewed on August 12, 2014

I have just been prescribed this product (in .05%) by my dermatologist and today was my day 1 with it. I'm only a middle schooler, and the reviews from adults using this product say that they're skin was pretty irritated and flakey after about 2-4 weeks (which my doctor warned may happen to me). School starts in 3 weeks, and I'm nervous as to how bad I'll be broken out by that time. any advice how to control it? I'd hate to get discouraged when all the reviews say to be patient for the great results.

by Ssingh7 on 08/17/2014 07:26
Has your doctor talked to you about antibiotics during the first month or two to help control the initial breakout? Antibiotics are usually prescribed in conjunction with tretinoin (retina a) to help reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline pills
by Giselle1 on 08/18/2014 08:05
I used antibiotics simultaneously with tazorac and they did not reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline. I have not had success with multiple antibiotics whatsoever.
Tretinoin but be patient
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

Only cream that will actually work but may take a few months but will be worth it. I used tretinoin a few times and quit because I thought it was aggravating my acne but I now know that it gets all the bad gunk out first and brings the next skin cells up to the surface. I used this for about a month before taking accutane and haven't experienced an initial breakout so far( on day 9) .... Be patient

Don't Give Up
Reviewed on August 6, 2014

I've been using Tretinoin for almost 15 weeks now and let me tell you it hasn't been all rainbows and sunshine. I am a 21 year old female that was getting painful cystic acne around my chin, mouth, and cheeks that seemed to spring up out of nowhere. I went to my dermatologist who prescribed me a combination of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide for mornings and Tretinoin .05% for nights. I went through a bad initial breakout around my 3rd week in that lasted about my 6th week. I was VERY depressed and felt so hideous that I hardly left my house. If you're in this phase of your treatment...I know how you feel and what you're going through. The redness, itching, flaking, burning...are all really annoying side effects that can honestly seem to last forever and destroy your self esteem. I was very very ready to just throw the Tretinoin in the trash and never look at it again. Instead, I decided to research. Everyday I would come on this site and read the hopeful reviews and try to tell myself that I just had to stick with it. Eventually, after about 2 and a half months I stopped getting the painful acne. Pimples became few and far between. The burning went away and the flaking became manageable. The pimples I get now are almost invisible and go away much quicker. I can finally look people in the eyes again without feeling disgusted with myself. But the number one thing is...you HAVE to stick with it. DON'T GIVE UP. And don't listen to the reviews that say they've only been using it a few weeks or a month. This takes time! It even says to give it up to 6 months. Now I'm dealing with hyper-pigmentation...but Tretinoin will help with that too. You MUST MUST MUST use it everyday. Don't skip. And always wear sunscreen. Tretinoin works by speeding up the cell turnover process...making you really susceptible to sunburn. I'm not 100% where I want to be...but that's only because I have become obsessed with my skin. However, I'm light years better than where I was 15 weeks ago. Don't stop it. Keep telling yourself that Tretinoin is a marathon...not a sprint. Don't give up.

by rhena12 on 08/17/2014 11:03
Oily thing is the one that clog our pores actualy its simple.... as if just figure out if we elliminate the oily stock in our face then problem solve it cause acne thats why.... cleansing our face like 4x a day use cetaphil oil cleanser to prevent more oil to come out it cleanse it and no oily skin equals no bacteria sticking to the skin its easy now to treat faster by using tretinoin... if your skin getting flacky here us what to do first use dove soap then nxt cetaphil next tretinoin or benzoyl peroxide
by rhena12 on 08/17/2014 13:30
by Megs410 on 08/18/2014 14:49
Having oily skin is not the only thing that causes breakouts. Even people with dry skin can breakout very badly. You need a balance. I do wash with cetaphil but I only do it twice a day...overwashing your face can actually dry the skin out which in turn makes the skin produce more oil which makes more acne. I do recommend cesspool though it's very good for sensitive skin!
by Megs410 on 08/18/2014 14:51
*cetaphil not cesspool
by kenixkoeh on 09/18/2014 06:33
Hi Megs , im using this since 5 September, and now my skin still prompting with the Big Acne, painful n redness. and it left very dark brown colour around the acne area :( i feel so fractructed and sad as no improvement to be seen and the skin getting worse. just would like to seek for your advice, is that fine using Tretinoin without moisturizer ? im so afraid to put on any other skin care. Im using acne wash from Oxy.