Page 2 of Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1347 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Great for my cystic/hormonal acne!!
Reviewed on March 23, 2014

The major issue of my 20's (now 26) has been the deep cystic acne around my jaw, cheeks, chin which is hormonal in cause more than likely. Almost a year ago, I began using retina-A(.04%) at night, aczone in the AM and PM, and oral spironolactone (worked up to 100mg). I have used both other tx's successfully in the past, however this being my first retina-A experience, I was impressed (and with my stubborn acne, i am NOT easily impressed with meds). I was worried to try this because in the summer I am outdoors at the beach/in sun a large portion of the week, and although I make sure to use quality sunscreen and try to cover/shade my face when possible, I have had some gnarly sunburn that occurred super fast when on other meds in the past, so I proceeded with caution. My face was at its peak worst, so there was no "worse initial break out" however it did take around 1.5 months to start to clear. I could CLEARLY tell it was working because as soon as the zits appeared the healing process began within next day or two, and within that week the zit would be significantly better. Previously, the huge deep zits would take 2/3 WEEKS to heal. Even the remaining darker/red hyper pigmentation would fade WAY faster, which was my other skin woe. My skin became smoother over time as well. I was so impressed....too bad i hadn't discovered this sooner!

ADVICE:

only use a pea size or so amount like it says, when I used more, it really dried out my skin and caused those areas to be red and peel. I also realized it was important to use face lotion every morning and night which helped my skin a lot overall... the harsh winter made this occur occasionally as well.

I did not have much of an issue with my face becoming more sensitive to sunlight, just be diligent about reapplying the sunblock every 2 hrs.

I was originally taking the brand name product, but insurance stopped covering this and I went to purchase and it was $500.00 !!!!! wwhhhattt? So ask your doctor or look for RX rebate cards...I just got the generic gel for the first time which was 10-20$...hope nothing changes!

Give it a chance, it took a while to notice any effect, which can be discouraging.

I find it hard to trust online reviews because everyone's skin is different, but when my skin hits a "bad phase" every 2-3 years, the acne comes back with a vengeance and I rarely see any significant results from prescriptions, so I was so happy and impressed with the results from this... GOOD LUCK :)

to everyone who has lost confidence due to acne...
Reviewed on March 14, 2014

I started using tretinoin cream about 4 months ago. I had really nice skin throughout all high school and of course when iI'm 18 and a senior, my skin goes crazy when everyone else's is finally starting to get better. I was so embarrassed about how I looked I would miss school because I didn't want anyone to see my face. I felt so disgusting that all my pores were clogged that I would pick the living crap out of anything that even resembled a pimple and make my skin look a million times worse than it already was. So to all of you who have lost self confidence due to acne, I feel your pain and just keep reading. I went to a dermatologist and she prescribed me monodox for my cysts and tretinoin for my surface acne. Within a week my skin was worse than ever. Not only was my face completely covered but it was peeling off and so dry that when I smiled or laughed the skin around my mouth would start to crack and sometimes bleed. My skin is so sensitive so it may not go to this extent for everyone, my brother was on tretinoin too and he didn't even have to apply lotion after and he never got a single skin flake. After about a month I started to notice my skin was getting better, it was still so dry but I could see that my skin wasn't so congested, and it was starting to look really beautiful. I decided to try and find a regimen to help all this dryness. After much experimentation and my skin starting to adjust to the product, my skin is no longer dry. Here's what I do: Shower, wash face with cera ve hydrating cleanser, get out of shower, PAT dry, wait 30 mins (when you just get out of the shower your pores are open and irritated and when you apply the cream right away it will make it more dry), apply evian facial mist (basically just spray water on your face, doing this helps the cream move around more so you can use less product, meaning less dryness. this doesn't make it less effective) wait 10 minutes, apply cera ve moisturizing cream, not lotion. boom. It's been about 4 months now and my skin looks great. I feel confident in myself again, I don't hermit myself in my room, scared to leave the house because of the way my face looks. I still get a few pimples, but it's okay because nothing is going to completely clear your skin. so moral of the story, in order for your skin to look good again, you have to wait for your skin to adjust first. don't just stop something after a week, there's no miracle product that will work over night and have no side effects.

Helps clear Cysts!!
Reviewed on March 12, 2014

I've been using this product for around 7-8 months now and let me tell you this product is amazing! it treats deep cysts, dries them out, and gets rid of them!! It helps prevents severe forms of acne and works to rid your skin of the spots when you do get them. Although this product is great, however, i had a bad initial breakout and lots of flakiness. Make sure you moisturize!! This was the only product i've found that can combat cystic acne!

Good so far.
Reviewed on March 12, 2014

I have been using Tretinoin 0.025% for 3 months now. My acne has cleared a lot. In the beginning I experienced the initial breakout so I started taking antibiotics (Bactrim), which helped a lot. I am going to keep taking the antibiotics for a couple more months until I work up to Tretinoin 0.05% and then gradually ween off of them (I hope this keeps the acne from coming back instead of quitting cold turkey!). Has anyone been on both tretinoin and an oral antiobiotic at the same. If so, how did you get off the antibiotic and rely solely on the tretinoin. I'm thinking a BP wash in the morning would help once I am off the antibiotic. Anyways, tretinoin is good but you really have to be patient... so if you're looking for a short term solution (like you need clear skin for an event coming up), I don't recommend it as it will cause you to break out pretty bad initially (and I still have red marks left over from this break out).

Not extremely effective, but does calm acne down a bit
Reviewed on March 1, 2014

I was using this in addition to doxycycline and eventually minocycline. It did seem to help calm my acne down a bit, though it was by no means a cure. I did become very sensitive to sunlight as well. I used it every night for 7 months and I just kept hoping it would clear me up for good. At least it didn't make me worse. Also, a little goes a long way. I only used two tubes in 7 months time.

It requires patience....BUT THIS WORKS!!!!
Reviewed on February 23, 2014

I told myself that if this treatment worked I would write a review to all of those out there who read nothing but negative reviews on Retin-A. I'm 33 years old, fought with acne since I was in 6th grade... I'm now 7 weeks into my treatment and my skin has never been better (I credit this to patience and my routine which I will outline below)! I did have the initial purging and yes it is hard to go through. Many times I wanted to stop but told myself that if I wanted clear skin I needed to go through the bad to get to the great. The purging started at about week 2 and lasted til week 4 and it was in the form of large cystic bumps all over my forehead. They hurt, they were impossible to cover and worse of all they left red marks....BUT I continued through it. At week 5 I started seeing some improvement and week 6 my skin looked amazing (except the red marks that were left from the initial purging). The BEST resource out there on this treatment is found at a blog called One step closer to a Peaches and Cream Complexion. She does an amazing job at outlining how this treatment works and most importantly what products you can use with it. Retin-A itself is an unstable compound and is very picky what products you use and I firmly believe this is one reason why so many have had negative experiences with it! So please please please look at the above mentioned blog and the review and comments section (she answers readers questions VERY thoroughly) It will completely change you view of acne care! But here is my routine....

Nightly- wash face with Normal to Oily CeraVe foaming face wash. let skin dry 20-30 minutes. Apply a small amount of Retin-A all over face. Let dry for 20 to 30 minutes. Once that is dry I put a thin layer of CeraVe moisturizing lotion on and that's it!

Morning - wash with CeraVe again. I swipe one of those salicylic acid throw away pads all over my face (I use Neutrogena but I am sure any would work). I found these really help to keep the small pimples away that form during the day because of oil, clogged pores, makeup breakouts, ect. then use Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sun Screen over the entire face. Sunscreen is a must when using this product, my face is very sensitive to sunscreens but this particular type works amazing for me and also serves as a moisturizer! Finish with make up and I am good to go for the day! Acne can be heartbreaking at any age and leaves not only physical scars but an emotional one at too...this treatment worked for me and I sincerely hope that it works for you!!!

It didn't work for me.
Reviewed on February 20, 2014

I started Tretinoin 0.01% gel in November of 2013. I have moderate acne but it's very persistent. I saw some improvement and thought my acne was clearing. But then I started waking up with more inflamed red pimples and whiteheads every day. My skin was super red and peeled so bad. I thought it would go away but never did. I was then upped to 0.025% gel about a month or two ago. Still nothing. Now I'm on week 14, almost 15, with no results. I used it as directed. I washed my face, waited 30 minutes, then applied a pea-sized amount over my face without moisturizer. I applied it every other night until directed and then started applying it every night. Until I can go see the dermatologist, my doctor ordered me to stay on it. Tretinoin has worked for some people but not me. This was one of my last options before getting refereed to a dermatologist, and it failed. The only good things about this was that some areas of my face got smoother and the little blemishes went away quickly.

by 13 going on 30 on 08/01/2014 04:59
Yes! I feel like I wrote this! I don't know whether to continue or give up?
Finally helped clear up my acne!
Reviewed on February 9, 2014

After struggling for several years with cystic acne in my late 20's, I finally decided to see a dermatologist instead of my PCP. I was already taking Minocycline, which helped, but I still had bad cystic acne. The dermatologist prescribed Retin-A Micro (apply at night) and Aczone (apply in morning). In the first month, I didn't notice much improvement, maybe even slightly worse small pimples, but cycstic acne was not worse. After a couple months, I was noticing a definite improvement and by four months, I am thrilled with the results. I think the Retin-A has helped with the small whiteheads/blackheads, while the Aczone is particularly good for the cystic acne (my doctor said it has the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin to kill bacteria than most topicals). At same time as starting these, I started using Cetaphil Oil Control foaming wash and moisturizer, which have been great.

So far it's helping
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

Hello, I'm 24 yrs old. I have never had a problem with acne until I became pregnant. During my pregnancy I didn't use anything on my face as I was told, it would go away and should clear up on it's own after delivery. Well, for me it didn't. I waited about 2 weeks until after my baby was born to look into dermatologists. I made an appointment, and he prescribed TRETINOIN 0.025% CREAM 20GM as well as DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100MG TABLETS. I took the Doxy twice daily and at night I used the Tretinoin cream all over my face. The cream will start making you break out into huge cyst like bumps, and can really stress you out. Trust me, I cried almost everyday after picking at my skin. For me this happened around week 3-4 of taking the combination. It wasn't until about 2 to 2 1/2 months later, when I started noticing a big improvement. My skin is now acne-free. (BTW-I stopped using Doxy completely-as it gave me a yeast infection-ew!) I'm still on the Tretinoin, and ALWAYS wash my face in the morning and use tons of moisturizer because it does DRY out your skin. I do now have acne scars which I am noticing fade over time. But at least that can be covered easily with makeup. And isn't as annoying and stressful as the acne itself. Good luck!

Burning Skin
Reviewed on February 1, 2014

My doctor prescribed me Tretinion 0.025% about two years ago and I barely used it but lately my skin has been at its worst so I decided I should start using it. At night I take my makeup off, wash my face and then apply the cream. After I apply the cream my face burns for a good 15 minutes. It feels like my whole face is sun burnt and I've noticed my face has become more sensitive throughout the day as well. Like I have sun burn. Also my face has been flaking and I've been getting red spots throughout my face. I'm not sure if this will go away but I feel like I don't want to use it anymore because it burns so bad.

by darknights on 08/17/2014 16:59