Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Recommended by 75% of visitors

Average price: $26.11

Most helpful review

By Juan Antimo, Madison, WI on 01/29/2013

I have been on Retin-A for about a year and a half and let me tell you, it really works! I had normal pimples here and there during my early to late teens. At around 20 to 21 I noticed my acne getting worse. Cysts began forming underneath my skin and it became painful. That's when I first saw a dermatologist. I began using Retin-A in the 0.1% strength and within days saw improvement. One and a half years later and I continue to use it religiously. It works wonders but the key is consistency..

Pros:
  • Smooths out skin's texture.
  • Provides consistent acne fighting results.
  • Eliminates blackheads.
  • Calms the appearance of redness.
  • Fades dark spots.
Cons:
  • Requires patience (cannot stress this enough).
  • Flakiness due to cell turnover.
  • Redness.
  • Tenderness.
  • Sensitivity to the sun.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Member reviews

“So far it's helping”
By on

Hello, I'm 24 yrs old. I have never had a problem with acne until I became pregnant. During my pregnancy I didn't use anything on my face as I was told, it would go away and should clear up on it's own after delivery. Well, for me it didn't. I waited about 2 weeks until after my baby was born to look into dermatologists. I made an appointment, and he prescribed TRETINOIN 0.025% CREAM 20GM as well as DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 100MG TABLETS. I took the Doxy twice daily and at night I used the Tretinoin cream all over my face. The cream will start making you break out into huge cyst like bumps, and can really stress you out. Trust me, I cried almost everyday after picking at my skin. For me this happened around week 3-4 of taking the combination. It wasn't until about 2 to 2 1/2 months later, when I started noticing a big improvement. My skin is now acne-free. (BTW-I stopped using Doxy completely-as it gave me a yeast infection-ew!) I'm still on the Tretinoin, and ALWAYS wash my face in the morning and use tons of moisturizer because it does DRY out your skin. I do now have acne scars which I am noticing fade over time. But at least that can be covered easily with makeup. And isn't as annoying and stressful as the acne itself. Good luck!

“Burning Skin”
By on

My doctor prescribed me Tretinion 0.025% about two years ago and I barely used it but lately my skin has been at its worst so I decided I should start using it. At night I take my makeup off, wash my face and then apply the cream. After I apply the cream my face burns for a good 15 minutes. It feels like my whole face is sun burnt and I've noticed my face has become more sensitive throughout the day as well. Like I have sun burn. Also my face has been flaking and I've been getting red spots throughout my face. I'm not sure if this will go away but I feel like I don't want to use it anymore because it burns so bad.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Burns
  • Flaky Skin
  • Makes skin sensitive
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Haven't been on long enough to know! But so far so good”
By on

We'll so far I've been on it for 2 weeks today and I've seen a very slight change in my skin. My skin rarely gets dry and so far im not flaking. I mostly just get acne on my forehead and I have a big cyst on my nose right now and quite a few pimples on my hairline.Some of the acne on my forehead has went down and now it's getting a little worse so I guess I'm on the initial breakout period. I will still continue to use this though because I believe that it will work! So far my skin is not sensitive to the sun or anything it's just getting oiler. I hope my acne gets better!

Pros

• Somewhat smoother
  • Redness goes away

Cons

• Initial breakout
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It works - when combined with a good moisturizer and exfoliate”
By on

I'm 46 and have had acne since i was 14. I've tried everything out there and nothing has worked or lasted. this includes Accutane, antibiotics, sulpha lotion, benzoyl peroxide, laser, peels, and tons more. accutane worked for a few years but after the birth of my son, acne came back in a fury. i went on accutane again, but lasted a few months. This product with a combination of other products has helped resolve my problem. In the morning I wash my face with physoderm ph reducer. Then i apply a thin layer of reversa 8% glycolic cream (wait 15 minutes after washing to apply). Then i apply a second layer of Eucerin 5% urea face cream. Since glycolic can be irritating to the skin and also dries it out, this is the best cream that i have found to give me intense moisture without break outs. in the evening, i wash my face with sebcur 4% glycolic acid. Yes, this product is meant for dandruff, but the 2% face wash that are available on the market simply was not working. i needed something stronger. once my skin is completely dry, i apply .5 retinol cream to my entire face and add a second layer of eucerin 5% night cream (very very hydrating). Note that at the beginning, i had to apply the glycolic and retin a every 3rd day to give my face a chance to adjust. eventually it was every day without any irritation. By the 3rd week into this treatment, all pimples on my chin, cheek and nose disappeared. I had a few break outs and by week 6 nothing. I'm now on week 10 and still nothing. It is so nice now to get up in the morning, touch my face and no pimple can be found! its a miracle and i'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to last. the main benefit of this regime is that your skin will shed quite a bit bit without any irritation. however, it is important to manually exfoliate your skin every second day. The best exfoliating glove on the market is Renaissance. it costs more, but it can last several years (make sure to clean it on a weekly basis). i also purchased a small microdermabrasion machine and use it once a week for more intense exfoliation. This really helps with removing a lot of dead skin. Today, my skin is amazing. Many of my acne scars are barely noticeable. They are slowly disappearing and if you are in your forties, fine lines are also considerably reduced. My colleagues cannot believe how good my face looks, they indicated that i look so much younger and healthier. I wanted to share this regime as i have tried pretty much everything that exists out there.

Pros

• Works
  • Smooth skin
  • skin cell turnover

Cons

• Irritating at first
  • Expensive
  • Hard to obtain
  • for a few months
  • $ 70
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Requires patience”
By on

This is a review specifically for Retin-A Micro. For years I had been trying to get rid of closed comedones on my forehead area that just never seemed to go away. I was prescribed Retin-A Micro by my dermatologist. At first I found it to be irritating (I have very sensitive skin) and it make my skin dry and flakey. I decided to use it every two days instead. After about 3 months, I noticed that the closed comedones were turning into blackheads....I wasn't sure if that was progress or not, but continued using the product nonetheless. I would say it took a good 6 months before I saw any good results. Now, I hardly have any closed comedones (whiteheads) left. You have to be patient, but it does work.

Pros

• Evens skin tone
  • Removes closed comedones
  • Acne heals faster

Cons

• Takes a long time to work
  • Causes skin to be flakey and dry
  • Can be irritating for those with sensitive skin
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“not even going to try it”
By on

The ingredient list on my tube has stearic acid and isopropyl myristate high on the list (first and second ingredients behind tretinoin)..both are very comedogenic ingredients. Many other people have said this product has broken them out...so to me it's not worth the risk.

• $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Wish I never would have tried this”
By on

I really wish I would have never gone to the dermatologist office. In all honesty my acne was not even that bad. I feel like it became severe once I started using Atralin, the brand I was prescribed. I trusted my derm, and I asked her if I would break out while using this. She told me no.. Wrong. I understand that this takes 3 months to see results, but I am only on month 2 and I do not think I can continue using this. My breakouts haven't been whiteheads, but cysts. So many cysts. A new one every day. I have become so self conscious about them, I refuse to leave my house because I do not want people to see me. Dryness has been an issue as well, which is also making me feel self conscious with everyone pointing it out. But I do not mean to discourage anyone. This product simply did not work for me, that doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. It could work beautifully for some people, and may not for others. I do hope anyone going through what I am going through makes it with beautiful skin. Best of wishes.

Pros

• Doesn't burn
  • Dries fast

Cons

• Terrible initial breakouts
  • Dryness
  • Low self Esteem
  • for a few months
  • $ 120
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Miracle Cream!”
By on

I'm 19 years old and I've always had bumps/clogged pores/blackheads on my forehead and nose for as long as I can remember. It was the worst, because no matter how much make-up I'd use, it would be impossible to cover up (especially in certain lighting). It was bothering me so much that I asked my doctor to put me on birth control pills, solely for the purpose of acne. She did, and I stuck to the pills for about 10 months until I realized that my skin was getting much worse (huge painful cyst like acne on my jaw line/neck/chin/cheeks/around my mouth STILL ALSO had the bumpy skin) it was so awful and embarrassing. I just recently went to the dermatologist and was prescribed Minocycline 200mg per day and 0.025% Tretinoid cream to be applied every night. Literally, after 2 nights of using this cream my face was 99.7% clear! I put my make-up on and you couldn't even see a blemish. Now, I have been using it for almost 2 weeks, all of my dark spots from acne are fading very quickly, a couple of new zits have popped up but I'm not even mad because it's cleared up so much of what was already existing. I'm aware that there is supposed to be a "purging" period, but I am 2 weeks in and haven't experienced that yet. Very minimal flakes around my nose area. I did make the mistake of using this cream too close to my under eyes and it did burn very much when I used make-up remover in the same area. Overall my face always has a warm sensation now, not painful though. I don't remember the last time my skin has been so smooth, I could not be happier. I can't wait to see more results with this product!

Pros

• Clears acne fast
  • Smooths skin/shrinks pores
  • Evens skin tone

Cons

• Causes sensitivity
  • Flakey skin
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 88
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Seems to help”
By on

I've been using this in conjunction with BenzaClin and it seems to be helping. It has helped to make the pimples I do get stay less inflamed and I've been getting much fewer cystic acne. I use it at night and it has a good texture like a cream, and no side effects like burning.

Pros

• Effective
  • Easy to use
  • Fewer inflamed zits

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for about a month
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Tretinoin Review - 6 Weeks”
By on

I'm a 20 year old male, and I've had mild acne since I was 13. After going on antibiotics (pill and cream) in high school, my acne got somewhat better. After not being on anything for the past 2 years, in the last several months my acne flared up again, and I was getting surface spots and painful cysts. A dermatologist put me on Doryx, Benzclyn and tretinoin 0.5 cream. I saw initial improvement with the antibiotics as I was getting less inflammation. However, my skin problem has always been more about an inability to shed dead skin Let me tell you, 6 weeks after using tretinoin, my skin has never looked better and it is continually improving. I still am getting an occasional spot or two, but the texture of my skin is so much softer and spots heal much faster. This cream has cured my cystic acne. The antibiotics help with smaller spots, but tretinoin has really, really made the difference. Non-inflamed spots I've always had are going away too. I'm religious about putting this stuff on every night, applying a thin layer to my entire face. I'm looking forward to seeing continual improvement in the next few months. I also did not have any side effects besides the cream making my skin greasy after applying (went away after a week or two). Acne has always affected my self-esteem/ image, and this stuff has really helped me out. I would strongly recommend anyone with acne to use this product - it is awesome!

Pros

• Improvement in skin texture
  • Faster healing
  • Very helpful for cystic acne

Cons

• Makes face greasy at first, but goes away
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.