Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1387 reviews
Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Miracle Beauty Cure Sent From The Gods
Reviewed on May 27, 2015

When used correctly, tretinoin is a miracle beauty cure sent from the gods. With anti-aging benefits and powerful acne treatment properties, both tretinoin products I've used pack a one-two punch. I had success with Atralin as well as Retin-A Micro, you can read my full review at my blog Creation Despite.

It was okay...
Reviewed on May 20, 2015

I am 15 and have quite a bit of acne on my face, so after a year or so of doing Proactiv (which amazing affects wore of after a few months), I decided to ask my doctor for solutions and she gave me Retin-A (0.05%) and Minocycline. I found that the Retin-A wasn't really working at first and having naturally oily skin, didn't have the dry skin I heard talk about, so my doctor bumped up my percentage to 0.1%, which almost immediately gave me dry, flaky skin, which I know is supposed be a part of the process, but I didn't find any changes in my acne, the old was still there, the new still coming in, so I went back to my and got something called Differin XP, which is another topical cream (0.3%) which gave me the same side effects and results as Retin-A, so I have recently stop using it and switched back to Proactiv which seems to be working again for me. I feel this product can work if you can live with the side effect of constant dryness and peeling, since I would normally stop applying it for a week because my face would become so dry, sensitive and red, even with constant mosturizing. Also at the beginning my acne will flared up, but a few weeks later it started to go down a bit.

Flaking? Don't be a flake!
Reviewed on May 18, 2015

It IS drying my skin out and it IS doing exactly as advertised! This is how you clear up scars and already-formed zits. The drying is only a sign of your skin rejuvenating and healing, so to anyone complaining about this effect--don't. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have severe acne, so take this with a grain of salt. This may not be for everyone. IF you want your scars to fade, and if you want fresh new skin, this is a great product. If you have scars or pimples that have formed and are in remission, use this cream very sparingly (about a pea-sized amount over your entire face), and yes, you will flake the next day and day after, but the simple solution is to use a scrub after letting your face soak in some kind of foaming face wash (salycilic acid for it's anti-bacterial effect--why not?), and then scrub it off. Your skin is making new, healthy skin. This flaking side effect is completely normal. I use it once every second night.

An additional effect I enjoy from this is it gives my skin a nice, healthy glow, probably due to the formation of new fresh skin. It's a good product and much better for you than eating Tretinion (accutane) pills. Just scrub the dead skin off (lightly) and you should be fine.

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:37
People think this is a cure to pimples, but it isnt, it is a cure to acne. It Will NOT help already formed pimples. It will make pimples never happen again. I am 28 years old and this is the clearest my skin has been since I was 14. The flaking and dryness can be dealt with. I never knew I would ever have skin like this again. If you don't want to buy it from a U.S pharmacy you can outsource. I get mine from Australia for 12$ instead of 75$ my pharmacy wanted to charge.
Just started. Need Advice!
Reviewed on May 18, 2015

I just started a new skin regimen after my visit to my dermatologist this past friday. She prescribed me 1% Retin A for the night, along with clindmycin gel. I also just started to take doxycyclin pills as well. However she has me wash my face with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide wash every morning. Has anyone else had this routine and seen results? Or any advice for the retin A and the dryness?

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:40
That is a lot of stuff you are having your skin deal with. I would ask your derm if having that much irritation is actually going to help or just make it worse. Sometimes to much is not the best thing. That is literally 3 things sucking moisture out of your face.
Please guide me.
Reviewed on April 28, 2015

Hi I'm 15 years old and I'm a female. I have been using this cream for a little over 2 weeks. Before using this product , I break out in the typical t-zone ( cheeks , chin , and forehead). I have mild acne but still noticeable. I'm very insecure about it. But I been flaking up with this product and it almost seems like I'm breaking out more then I did before this product. I'm also very red. I know have to be patient. But when should I see results ? Are my experiences so far normal ? I just would like to know because so far with this product , I'm discouraged.

by Moose77 on 05/01/2015 01:52
Breaking out more in the beginning is normal as it is bringing everything to the surface. Make sure you are waiting 20 minutes after washing your face before you apply to decrease irritation. Also use a moisturizer 20 minutes after you have applied the retin-a for the dryness. Cetaphil or cerave are good options. If you are really irritated you can wash your face, apply moisturizer, and then 20-30 minutes later apply the retin-a. It will not decrease the effectiveness. Hope this helps
by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:41
I agree 100% with Moose77. I looked like a lizard man a few mornings. put on some good non comedogenic lotion and re-apply as needed.
START SLOWLY...13 weeks in and seeing amazing results
Reviewed on April 11, 2015

When my doc first prescribed tretinoin, I did my due diligence and researched on the Internet. I got terrified 'the purge' would happen to me, as I had a bad experience with clindamycin in high school and I broke out pretty badly. I put off using T for weeks. But my boyfriend said to me one day, "You'll never know if you don't try it out - why would else this treatment be so popular if it didn't work?"

Here's some background: I am a 23 y/o Asian female with moderate acne since middle school, mostly painful and swollen papules/pustules that come up around my menstrual cycle. I'd have 2-3 big pimples on my face at a given time (mostly around my T zone), and some other random zits would pop up here and there. But the worst were the red marks that got left behind - I'd pop my zits (bad habit, I know) and then the marks would just not go away! My skin is naturally pretty oily, with some dry patches here and there bc of my eczema, but my complexion was always reddish and when I drank alcohol I'd always get Asian glow and my face would look splotchy. I had bad hyperpigmentation and the only way to improve my complexion was to first stop the acne. I was sick of having to rely on makeup and foundation daily to hide the zits, it was especially hard because I love to exercise and hated working out because I had to remove my makeup.

When I started T, I started VERY slowly. I used it twice a week for 3 weeks. The first three weeks my face flaked a bit, especially around the chin/mouth area. But I'd exfoliate every now and then and it'd take care of the flakiness. It never got to the point where I had patchy or broken skin, I found that moisturizing multiple times a day helped to control the dryness. I didn't experience a purge. The worst it ever got with the T was a few small whiteheads around my chin/mouth. But since T speeds up the rate of skin cell production, the zits went away and faded pretty quickly - a trend that would happen in the months to come, which was awesome. I didn't experience any 'purge' at any point in time. My skin started getting better, and by week 5-6 you could start to see some results. I stopped getting those painful hormonal zits that I usually get a few times a month, and it felt great. I was also taking minocycline for the first month I was on T, but I stopped after a while as I didn't think it was really making any impact.

After 3 weeks of 2x/week, I upped the T to 3x/week for another 3 weeks. Then I upped to 4x/week for 3 weeks. Now I'm at 4-5x a week, and my skin has adjusted pretty well. I'm 13 weeks in now. There's no flaking at all now and my complexion has improved so much. I stopped getting painful, swollen zits. I have virtually no acne anymore. At times there's a small whitehead or two, but those almost always fade after 2-3 days. My hyperpigmentation has improved as well, though that takes a bit longer to see big improvements for complexion. I've also started buffering now, as I'm getting a little lazy with having to wait every time I use T, so I'll mix moisturizer and T together and apply right after I wash. The other day, I went to work without using foundation! That was definitely a first for me, and it felt great.

I highly recommend using this product for acne, but you MUST be diligent about using it the correct way. I always see people say things like "I started T 2 weeks ago and I have been using it 3x week, my skin broke out!" Well, of course it would break out - you're not using it correctly. The key is to start slowly to make sure your skin adjusts, and to use it in a regimented scheduled way, making sure to wait at least 25 min between applications of T and moisturizer.

Here's my skin regimen, if that's of interest:

MORNING

Cerave or Neutrogena Cleanser

---Wait at least 25min

pea-sized amount of T

---Wait at least 25min but I like it give it up to an hour if I have time

Cerave Lotion and 3 drops jojoba oil (I use Now Foods Organic Jojoba Oil, it's actually great for oily skin. I would highly recommend this product to hydrate skin, it makes your complexion incredibly supple the morning after)

Other products

Panoxyl 4% benzoyl peroxide face wash, on days I do not use T (bp and T counteract each other so do not use on days you use T)

Philosophy Microdelivery Vitamin C Peel: for hyperpigmentation, this stuff is expensive but does wonders. I would only recommend this after your skin has adjusted to T (at least 3 months into treatment). I only use this every 1-2 weeks or so.

Good luck!

by anamejia21 on 05/16/2015 06:43
love this review! thanks for all the detail. I started retin A today with the clindamycin gel. She told me for the first week to use it every other day, then begin using it every night. But after reading your post i feel like thats a bad idea. Also she said to use Benzoyl Peroxzide wash in the morning and retin A at night. Should i not do that? Because you said they counter act each other?
not for sensitive and dry skin
Reviewed on April 7, 2015

im 16 i've been on this treatment for 2 year but I stopped using this after two day because I got a rash on my face it was red and it hurt really bad. DON'T GET RETIN-A!!!!!!

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:45
You've been on this treatment for two years, but stopped using it after two days? Your math does not compute. And yea it does hurt, like a MOFOBITCH. But then you look really awesome. I mean if you stick it out. Don't ruin this for other people because you candle handle it.
Good option for maintaining clear skin
Reviewed on March 14, 2015

Using this after accutane and I'm doing wonderful! Its helped a bit with my fine lines (I'm over 30), but not as much as I had hoped or I would give it 5 stars. It does dry you out a bit, so use every other day at first and/or in the winter if needed. So far so good! I've been on this about a year and a half.

by nukefusion on 05/27/2015 07:47
They say it takes 2-3 years to get maximum results for just a wrinkle stand-point. But since you aren't using this for acne and only for "fine" lines I would suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon.
My results so far
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

I am a 22 year old female with mild-moderate acne. However, I started using MAC makeup on my face, and it caused a terrible breakout that just wouldn't clear up. So I went to my derm and he prescribed retin A coupled with clindamycin. I have only been using retin A (a generic brand, though) for roughly 4-5 weeks. I know it takes 6+ weeks minimum to work, so I am patiently waiting! It finally seems to be improving and I cannot wait to see results! I was a bit apprehensive to give it a try based on reviews, but I gave it a shot. I wanted to share my routine that seems to help a lot with the dryness/flaking/oil.

I'm the morning: I wash my face with Acne Free face wash, which is pretty mild with only 2.5% BP. I've used this for years and have always had good results. I use witch hazel on a cotton ball as a toner (I LOVE this and it is SO cheap!). In the morning, I use cetaphil oil control lotion (which seems to help a bit with the oil). A bit spendier, but worth it. I try to leave time to wait 10 min before putting on clindamycin because that's what has been recommended. However, being a flight attendant with an insane schedule, I only have time about half of the time to wait... And it's been fine. After that, I do my normal makeup routine.

HINT! The combination of both medications and the dryness make my skin SO oily (and previously I had normal skin) BUT I just use a thin layer of baby powder on a blush/bronzer beush over my makeup and I can go all day with no oil :) and trust me, I have tried the fancy bare minerals/MAC/Clinique cure for oil, and this has been my godsend. And, again, it's SO cheap!

PM routine: wash my face with acne free face wash again. Along with witch hazel as a toner. At night I use a heavier cetaphil lotion for dry skin. It's far too heavy and "oily" for day wear, but it does a lot of repairing at night! non comedogenic, of course. Again, I leave it for 10ish min (or more) and apply the retin A. A SMALL amount! Pea sized is all :)

If I could stress one thing, it would be START SLOW. I did every 3rd day for 2 weeks, every other day for 2 1/2 weeks. I JUST started using it every day. It has helped a lot with the dryness.

I didn't have much of the initial breakout I read about right away, it got a little worse, but nothing major. About the 3rd or 4th week I started breaking out more. But nothing terrible or cystic and they clear up fast. I have been very unhappy with my skin the last couple of weeks, but I can tell things are getting better. There are horror stories, but I can tell it will be worth the wait, and the wait hasn't been that bad. My advice is to take things slow, use everything in moderation, moisturize, and be patient. I will review this in a few weeks with an update. I really just wanted to help those currently struggling with dryness and oil who are going through this process as well. Good luck!

by jojomc on 05/11/2015 02:24
I've been prescribed the same meds u gave gotten a few wks now. I started a strick regimen and I've been going through the breakout phase unfortunately. I would just like to know how is the e update since u last posted. It would be great to hear an initial review from u. Thanks!!
Awesome
Reviewed on February 18, 2015

In my freshman year of high school i started breaking out really bad. I had a whole bunch of white heads and red bumps all over my cheeks it literally covered my cheeks. I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed me Retin-A with clindamycin. This stuff cleared my acne within 2 weeks. I was so happy that it cleared up my face. You only need to use a pea size amount of the Retin-A a little goes a long way. The clindamycin was a lotion which i used in the morning. I used the Retin-A at night. The reason why i give this a four though is because I ran out of this medication and was to lazy to get a refill. I stopped using it for about 2 months and broke out again. I tried going on it again but my skin got immune to it. Now my acne is been the worst its ever been in years Im very depressed and sad at the moment. My acne now covers my cheeks again and my face is scarred and discolored I think its time to go on oral pills. Ive never tried oral pills before I pray to god and i hope they work because i dont know what to do and high school is not fun for me right now.

by keiwilson1 on 02/27/2015 10:28
Hang in there..high school these days can be a nightmare..were you taking the Retin-A cream or gel?
by keiwilson1 on 02/27/2015 13:39
by Nikkixyooj on 03/24/2015 04:40
I used the Retin-a cream because the gel willdry out your skin. The cream will make your face dry but not as bad I didnt even need to use a moisturizer my face was fine.