Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.6/5 - 1354 reviews

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Also use other products
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

I've been using tretinion cream off and on for almost 15 years. You must have patience with it and give it at least 6 months. Also to note; I tried it without benzoyl peroxide or sylic acid wash and it did not work. I'm 28 so I've tried all different approaches to this. If you keep using it when you get older your skin will look much more youthful. Can't hurt to add this with your regimen of other products!

Smooth Sailing So Far...
Reviewed on September 13, 2014

I've been using Retin-A .08% and a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash since August 31st, 2014. I've had mild acne since 6th grade, I'm in 12th now and it's stayed relatively the same. So far, I've definitely noticed that my skin has become a lot smoother and my hyper pigmentation is DEFINITELY fading. As for the first 2-3 week 'horror' period of breakouts, mine haven't been severe whatsoever, which really surprised me! I was absolutely terrified that my acne would be seriously aggravated for this period, as it was for many other people using this medication. I had a few stray pimples pop up on my cheeks, but they were gone within 3 days MAX. My forehead is the worst area as of now, but it's quickly healing! They're bothersome but are easily taken care of with the BP face wash. I do have peeling, mostly around my mouth and chin, but a quick application of Cera-Ve moisturizer clears it right up and I'm good for the day! There's been absolutely no redness, either. Though, I do have a sneaking suspicion that my 2-3 purging isn't bad because of the Deja Vu Exfoliator I used before switching to Retin-A. I'm not trying to advertise for another product, but maybe see if anyone else encountered this and what it could mean? When used once a week the exfoliator took off the first layer of dead skin, which is essentially what Retin-A does, so maybe my skin wasn't so bad to begin with which is why the purge period wasn't/isn't so bad? I don't know, replies would be appreciated! Just, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT think of using these two products together. So to sum up this review, I'd definitely recommend Retin-A, and patience IS key. If the regiment doesn't improve acne within the first 4-9 months, I'd definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist to talk about alternative. Retin-A just might not be for everyone!

Brutal
Reviewed on September 10, 2014

I took this treatment for 4 weeks and let me tell you, it was just awful. My skin stayed about the same for about 3 weeks, no better and maybe a little worse. But the 4th week, it was dreadful. Worst breakout ever! 3 or 4 new pimples every day and huge! I gave up on it for a few days now and it has subsided back to just normal which still sucks. I know the meds take time, but come on, I couldnt even go out in public I was so embarrassed. After 4 weeks shouldnt I notice some sort of difference. I want to go back on it, but im afraid..

works after 3 weeks
Reviewed on September 9, 2014

Day 20- no improvement, new pimples still forming, acne scares still there, may even be getting worse. Felling very down

About 3 days after my skin cleard up. In a month or so I think I will have perfect skin

Use clymidicin gel with this

What should I do?
Reviewed on September 5, 2014

I started using this on 29th August. This is my second week and I'm breaking out like crazy. It's very itchy. I feel like giving up. I feel like crying whenever I feel my face with the back of my hand. I'm worried that the breakout will get worse since I have a graduation ceremony to attend on 15th October. What should I do? Stop using it or continue with it? What's going to happen if I stop using it? Can I use anything that can calm my skin (breakout) down? How long is this breakout going to last if I continue using it? Please let me know. Thank you.

by Megs410 on 09/09/2014 03:28
Hi :) I just wanted to let you know that it is very normal to break out during the first few weeks of using this! The cream is essentially pushing all the pimples underneath your skin to the very top...the medication in Tretinoin makes this happen really fast. Don't stop using it now as its just begun to work! Trust me, the first couple weeks on this are terrible...the itching/flaking is the worst...but you have have have to give it time. I know what you're going through...my initial breakout lasted about 3 weeks and they were the 3 weeks from hell. If you need someone to talk to, send me a message on here and I'll try to help. Keep going.
by Rohy on 09/09/2014 12:53
I would keep using it. I know what your going threw. Acne sucks and affected me so negatively in high school. I have this cream as well and have not used it yet because i have managed to control my acne for the most part threw pills and a little thing called Stridex Sensitive Skin Pads. I would highly recommend using those pads while your on this cream. The pads were recommended to me and worked amazingly for my skin, but that's just me. I would give it a try. Walmart usually has them for the cheapest price and you get bonus 20% more pads sometimes. It is the one in the green box and its the only one that wont dry skin. The red boxed pads will because it contains 2% salicylic acid and the sensitive ones contain aloe with only 0.5% salicylic acid. Give it a try dude and get out there and shine at you your graduation ceremony, no matter how your face looks. You made it this far and I'm sure you will make it out perfectly. Just stay happy! You got this โ—• โ—กโ—•
by Jev on 09/09/2014 16:26
Keep using it I was the same way but after the 3rd week my skin cleared up
by annette63 on 09/16/2014 06:18
Murad sulfur mask at night! Sulfur based products are calming and healing. That and an antibiotic prescription.
by kenixkoeh on 09/19/2014 08:21
how is your skin condition now ? im using this since 5 September, and now my skin still prompting with the Big Acne, painful n redness. and it left very dark brown colour around the acne area :( i feel so fractructed and sad as no improvement to be seen and the skin getting worse. just would like to seek for your advice, is that fine using Tretinoin without moisturizer ? im so afraid to put on any other skin care. Im using acne wash from Oxy.
Tretinoin Cream 0.025%
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

I have been using this cream for 3 weeks today and I am not sure if it is ever going to work. I am 22 years old and I have always had perfect skin, but I have been battling acne now for about 6 months and I am just at my breaking point. My dermatologist prescribed me Minocycline 100mg and Tretinoin Cream 0.025% but 3 weeks after taking Minocycline I had some terrible reactions to the medicine so now I had to quit taking that and I am only using the cream. Everyone keeps telling me to be patient but that is EASIER said then done. I have let acne control my entire life for the past 6 months..I go to work and then I come home and get in bed. I feel like all it is doing is making my blackheads worst and it's just not working! Not to mention I already have horrible red spots all over my fave that I just can't seem to cover with makeup or ANYTHING. I'm hoping someone knows what I am going through and can calm me down because all of my friends still have perfect skin and they just don't understand what I am going through

by Moniqueliz on 09/05/2014 16:36
I'm going through the same thing with retin-a. I never breakout this much. I am depressed and have very low self-esteem right now. I just want to stay in bed all day and avoid the world. I even avoid lights. Some people think I'm crazy because they really don't know what I'm going through. It really affects me physically and mentally. I have a graduation ceremony to attend on 15th October. I don't have to look my best but I don't want to have this kind of breakout during my important day. I have been waiting for quite some time for this moment to come. I don't know how some people did it. They must be really strong. All I can do is pray. I will pray for you too and everyone who's suffering from acne. Time is the healer in this case. Once when we have our clear skin back, we'll be a much stronger individual. I know you might need someone to talk to so send me a direct message on twitter. My twitter id is lismonique.
by Jev on 09/09/2014 16:27
Trust me stick with it it will clear up
The game changer
Reviewed on August 23, 2014

I have been using tretinoin for almost 7 years now and it has been greatly beneficial to my skin. Tretinoin helped my skin to reduce the size of scars as well as help prevent blackheads.

Here are the combinations of topical applications I used with tretinoin

Tretinoin + Benzoyl Peroxide Cream + Aveeno Calming Cleanser = VERY DRY SKIN, peeling, redness, irritation, needed a great amount of moisturizer... sometimes the moisturizer was too weak to reduce the dry skin so I had to use something thick like sunblock.

Tretinoin + Oxy Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash = Dry skin, redness, a small amount of peeling

Tretinoin + Clindamycin Phosphate + Cetaphil Everyday Cleanser = Best results, didn't over-dry the skin, kept the skin nice and tight, seems like my pores are shrinking, scars are starting to level-off with the rest of the skin, no peeling, no dryness.

Tretinoin should be used at night because it makes your skin sensitive to UV rays as well as artificial sunlight. Try to apply this right before you go to sleep; my skin got oily when I applied this and went out. Only use a pea-sized amount to prevent over-drying/redness. Try to wash your face after 7-8 hours after you apply it on your face because it can irritate your skin.

made acne worse.
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

I'm a 21 yr old female. Ok so 4 months ago i was suffering with an oily tzone of whiteheads. So I started retin a 0.05% twice a week for 18 weeks. The first couple of weeks I purged suffered the ib then by week 7-8 it cleared and i was then left with these disgusting red marks. Till now the red marks are still here and i forgot to mention more whiteheads than before. Oh and my skin is still peeling. The only benefit i got from this was smooth texture and my skin evened out a bit. I'm thinking of going on tazorac. Has anyone gone on Tazorac right after retin a?

by Giselle1 on 08/18/2014 07:44
I used tazorac (gel) before switching to retin a (gel). The first time I used tazorac it worked great, but I stopped using it and the acne came back. The second time around wasn't so great and I'm now left with a lot of acne scars, red marks, and hyperpigmentation. I tolerated it really well and didn't even use lotion with it, but my skin peeled a lot and it was REALLY SHINY (for me that was a negative). So, I decided to switch to retin a and I'm definitely happy with retin a. My skin is a little dry (probably due to gel formulation), but it is not that oily or shiny. I have no peeling. My only concern is I started to break out in the T zone. I'm thinking about trying azelaic acid as I've heard it is an excellent acne treatment.
VERY good product!! Patience is key
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

So I have struggled with acne since 12, it stopped around 16-19 and 6 months ago came back really bad! I am a 19 year old male and broke out pretty damn bad. Cystic acne all over my jawline and cheeks. I started taking tretinoin .025 and doxycyline for the first month. I am 9 weeks in and my face has changed a lot! I am breaking out a little but not nearly as bad as I was, I'm dealing with hyper pigmentation and some breakouts which is awesome! I have a great regimen that has worked great for me because I use couple other treatments on my face in conjunction with tretinoin. It takes time! I was like you sitting on my computer at night because I'm pissed how my skin looks and don't know what to do. Give this a try and give it time, I broke out and did have the initial breakout but so worth it! My skin can only get better from now, switching to retina-a .05 in couple weeks since my skin is easily tolerating the .025, if anyone has any questions on my regimen feel free to ask!

Advice- Day 1
Reviewed on August 12, 2014

I have just been prescribed this product (in .05%) by my dermatologist and today was my day 1 with it. I'm only a middle schooler, and the reviews from adults using this product say that they're skin was pretty irritated and flakey after about 2-4 weeks (which my doctor warned may happen to me). School starts in 3 weeks, and I'm nervous as to how bad I'll be broken out by that time. any advice how to control it? I'd hate to get discouraged when all the reviews say to be patient for the great results.

by Ssingh7 on 08/17/2014 07:26
Has your doctor talked to you about antibiotics during the first month or two to help control the initial breakout? Antibiotics are usually prescribed in conjunction with tretinoin (retina a) to help reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline pills
by Giselle1 on 08/18/2014 08:05
I used antibiotics simultaneously with tazorac and they did not reduce the breakouts. I used doxycycline. I have not had success with multiple antibiotics whatsoever.