Toothpaste reviews

3.7/5 - 507 reviews

Not for me
Reviewed on July 1, 2017

I don't know if I'm using the wrong toothpaste but I've tried oralB and an organic toothpaste that uses tea tree and aloe Vera and neither have worked and only shrunk the spot a little or made it bigger and ready for popping which I try and avoid

works well
Reviewed on February 6, 2017

definitely suggest using toothpaste on oily skin. It shrank my spots significantly. I recommend using arm and hammer sensitive toothpaste

Can be effective but DO NOT use a whitening brand!
Reviewed on February 6, 2017

I have tried this technique on and off over the years. The cheaper the better I say- cheaper toothpastes don't have all the whitening ingredients and chemicals that some big brands contain. I do find the technique uncomfortable though. It dries awkwardly and makes me very aware of how many spots I have! I would recommend using tiny quantities, right before bed for results overnight. These results are temporary however and I would say there are better alternatives out there.

made skin worse
Reviewed on December 16, 2016

I tried using whatever brand of generic toothpaste that's sold at costco and it made me breakout. But I think the effectiveness has to do more with how minty the toothpaste is. The kind I used isn't super minty, like after brushing my teeth drinking water isn't super cold. And when I used it as a spot treatment, it turned inflamed red bumps into big whiteheads overnight. I've used toothpaste in the past that was really minty and it definitely didn't make my acne worse. Just check what kind of toothpaste you're using. I'd test it on a small zit that's in a less noticeable area before going ham on the rest of your face.

Didn't work for me
Reviewed on October 26, 2016

I used the white colgate one, put it on my pimples for 3 nights and didn't have any effect on some, but worsned some. Def don't recommend it.

Reduces puffiness
Reviewed on August 12, 2016

I like toothpaste a lot. But you have to remember to use non-gel and non-colored. Toothpaste works with the swelling and redness. If I see a new pimple coming along, then before I go to bed I put some on it, and wash it off in the morning, and it works really well. I suggest using Tom's toothpaste. One time I used colgate and crest and it did absolutely nothing for me.

Works for Oilier skin types more than Drier.
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I mentioned this before but I have studied skin and although I'm not a dermatologist or anything special since studying this and applying my knowledge to my own skin it's been so much better!

In what I learnt is that your skin is all about balance. If you have naturally oily skin, your skin will try to keep itself that way because that's it's normal happy place. Using products that dry it out may work for you in getting rid of acne/pimples but there's a simple step people believe they shouldn't take. And that's applying moisturiser. Moisturiser is incredibly important and for some people this mightn't be the case because everyone is different but on a general scale and for the majority of people this will be the case. No matter your skin type, you should still be applying moisturiser, particularly if you are using products that dry your skin out (toothpaste- why we're here). Your skin wants to balance itself and if you use a product that dries it out your skin (again, toothpaste), it will freak out and produce crazy amounts of more oil and cause even more redness and swelling just so it can get back to that 'happy' place. Just think balance with your skin and if you use this toothpaste trick remember your moisturiser, even if your skin is crazy oily!

Again, some people this may not work with as not everyone's skin can be directly thrown into a category and be expected to be the exact same as everyone else's, but for most of you this will.

For people with dry skin, toothpaste (as mentioned quite a lot in these reviews) is not recommended :-( but try products specifically aimed at dry skin. The best one I've ever used for myself (might just work for you) when I get dry skin in the winter is Garnier goodbye dry! milk cream cleanser.

I realise this review isn't quite as directed at toothpaste but hopefully it helps people :-)

Another tip for washing your face regards your skin type is to pay attention to the type of cleanser you're using.

For example- with oily skins, using foams or gels will aid and you'll be fine to use them because they dry out more than others. But for dry skins, using milk cleansers and creams will aid better as they produce more moisture and give your skin the ability to hold more moisture, provided you find the right one for you.

Hope this helps.

by H8Spots on 06/02/2016 16:52
You keep talking about skin being about balance. Then you said that oily skin "wants" to stay oily(that's not balanced), but you say that you should still use moisturizer which adds moisture to the skin. If your skin is all about balance, then, according to your theory, you should use things that dry out the skin - things that don't add moisture. I think you're confused. You should not try to keep oily skin oily and that is not a "happy" condition for your skin. The oil is a big cause of acne/pimples. When oil is released its released as whole cells(not just oil) which contain organelles. Bacteria "feed" on those organelles which results in pimples. You should use products that reduce the oil on your face and oil-free light moisturizers. At least you acknowledged that you're no expert.
It shrunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reviewed on October 3, 2015

I put the toothpaste ALL over my zit, for one hour. I just took it off, and the zit shrank!!!!!!!

Great on a blind pimple
Reviewed on August 24, 2015

I have used toothpaste on a blind pimple. Leave it on overnight. It'll come to a head. If the pus comes out gently push the rest out, but you'll have to get the solid creamy color plug out. If it's not out, the pimple will return again.

classic
Reviewed on August 23, 2015

I've been using toothpaste on my acne since I was in 6th grade, and it really have never done anything for me, now that I look back on it. I would put it on with the intention of reducing the size or redness of my acne, but then I would take it off and my acne would be the same. I've tried several brands but none seem to work.