Tetralysal Lymecycline Oral Antibiotic

Brand: Tetralysal

Most helpful review

By Sarah, UK on 09/25/2012
thumbnail

Before I had severe acne, with a permanent scattering of spots and scars across my forehead, chin, cheeks around my nose and on my shoulders. I've had acne for around 5 years and tried so many of the products off the highstreet (Freederm, Neutrogena, Simple, Oxy, Witch, Clean and Clear, Nivea, Clearasil, Amie, Clinique, Good things, Liz Earle, Garnier, T-zone to name those I can remember) with minimal success. My acne actually steadily worsened from the age of 12 to 17. Eventually went to see the doctor and was prescribed Tetralysal alongside Benzoyl peroxide cream Panoxyl 10% . The effect was not immediate, but over 2 months I stopped getting new spots and the acne slowly cleared. I have now been on the prescription for 9/10 months. I do not have a single spot - at most I get one at my time of the month. Although at first I applied the BP cream religiously and went through the adjustment phase with dry peeling skin, I now use only it occasionally, because even though I've moved down to 5% it is still very harsh and my skin is fine without. I am absolutley over the moon with these antibiotics and just wish I had gone to the doctor's earlier..

Pros:
  • On prescription, so free for me
  • COMPLETELY CLEARED my bad acne
  • Easy to take (one pill a day)
Cons:
  • Not enough on it's own ( still got to wash face twice daily and prescribed alongside Benzoyl peroxide cream)
  • Had an unsettled stomach since around the time I started the antibiotics, I'm not sure if it's connected but I'm back to normal if I eat those pro-biotic yoghurts

14 out of 18 people found this review helpful

Lymecycline.

Other Ingredients:
Magnesium Stearate and Colloidal Hydrated Silica, Gelatin, titanium dioxide (E171), erythrosine (E127), quinoline yellow (E104) and indigotine (E132).

Member reviews

“Didn't work”
By on

I tried this for a few months and it didn't improve anything in terms of my acne.

“Worked a bit at first”
By on

On the first couple of weeks i saw minor improvement and it never really got any better than that. Good luck and i hope this works for you!

Pros

• helped a bit, mostly under the skin spots

Cons

• wasted time
  • no real improvement
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Didnt work”
By on

After seeing my doctor they said i had minor acne and that tetralysal lymecycline would clear it up in a matter of 2 -3 months. I have now been using it for nearly 6 months without missing any days and not only hasnt it cleared it has started to break out in places i never used to get it . This antibiotic isnt cheap either (well for me) so i feel quite decieved by my gp as iv wasted time and money on a useless product. This might just be for me but if you do try it and dont see any positive results i recommend canceling your prescription. :)

Pros

• no side effects that i noticed

Cons

• acne worsened
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Didn't work for me”
By on

I came off Erythromycin as it wasn't working fully and was prescribed lymecycline by my doctor who told me that lymecycline should work above and beyond Erythromycin. Unfortunately 1 week in my skin started to get worse, I had an increase in large painful spots appearing firstly on my back, and then by week 3 on my face. Huge spots on my forehead and chin! I am 23 and have suffered from moderate acne since I was about 13 but I have never had spots so large appearing on my face. I went back to my doctor today after having taken Lymecycline for a full month, he seems baffled as to why Erythromycin was at least partially helpful but the Lymecycline worsened my condition. He has now prescribed me Trimethoprim which is from a different family of antibiotics all together- so I guess I will see how that goes! Overall this antibiotic did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.

Pros

• None :/

Cons

• Breakout of humongous painful spots on back and face
  • Thrush symptoms
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“This drug is dangerous STAY AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!”
By on

I was given this Dangerous drug for a bacterial infection in the UK and after 8 months of use there was absolutely no change. Apart from developing severe colitis and loosing up to a pint of blood daily , excruciating stomach cramps and possible cancer.

These drugs that are made in labs are killing people daily and doctors are fully aware of it I have since got my colitis in remission with NO DRUGS AT ALL and no help from any medical "professional".

It's all about diet people. Wake up and ignore your doctor for good health.

Pros

• None

Cons

• This drug will kill you eventually
  • Severe case of colitis which leads to many many other life threatening problems.
  • Excruciating pain within digestive system, gastroenteritis and many more problems.
  • for about a year
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Gives temporary relief”
By on

Improved my skin but being an antibiotic, was obviously only a temporary improvement.

Pros

• Improves skin
  • I didn't experience any side effects (although some do)

Cons

• Only temporary improvement
  • Pills taste discusting and if you burp after taking them you can still taste them
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Temporary solution only. I took lymecycline for 8 weeks and enjoyed seeing my face get clearer from almost day one. I didn't even have any blackheads. It worked to get my skin back to a manageable state but didn't fix the problem permanently. Unless I want to stay on antibiotics indefinitely (I don't), I need to find an alternative solution.

Pros

• Cleared my skin and prevented new breakouts.
  • This was good to get my skin back to a reasonable state. I have suffered from mild hormonal acne for years but had a terrible breakout which lasted a few months. My face was a mess and I was continuing to get new acne (small, medium and cystic) on a daily basis.
  • I was prescribed an 8 week course which was free on the NHS (I live in Wales).

Cons

• Acne came back within 10 days of finishing course.
  • It didn't upset my stomach, but it did make my bowels a bit softer than usual and I went every day, which was not my usual pattern, so that was a good thing.
  • Unfortunately, the acne came back within 10 days - not with a vengeance, but a definite return, nonetheless.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Used in conjunction with something topical it can help with the initial clearing out but you need to continue treatment with something else to keep the acne away

Pros

• I had clear skin in 6 weeks

Cons

• Acne came back worse after I stopped taking it
  • Tried it again and I was immune to it, second time round I got stomach cramps while I was taking it
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Be very cautious when deciding to embark on a course of prescription medication. It's my theory that GPs dish out antibiotics without attempting to address the more underlying issues of acne. In addition, if you do decide to go ahead with a course, be wary of the existence of probiotics. My GP did not inform me that the drugs would annihilate my good bacteria as well and that this would require replenishing in the form of probiotics.

Pros

• N/A

Cons

• Found myself suffering from severe depression the likes of which I've never encountered before. Upon discontinuing the drug, these effects subsided. Suicidal feelings included.
  • The drug exacerbated my previously light acne and I broke out in areas that I previously have not, most notably the jawline and chin area.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

How this works for you depends on your skin. I have been using for 2 months and my cysts have really gone down and little bumps and lumps don't grow as much. One thing I mus say is to persist, persist please. I don't think it's possible for these to make your skin worsen, maybe it's stress or hormones. Ask the doctor as it is not on the side effects

Pros

• So easy
  • Works brilliantly

Cons

• Can take a while but it's better than cream personally as th dry and turn to scabs
  • light
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.