Page 3 of Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 347 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Reviewed on April 25, 2012

Do NOT (ever) take more than you your doctor has described for you.

Its NOT a long term solution. I would recommend anyone that has severe acne to go on roaccutane. Its not worth waiting a long time for you acne to disappear/ slow down. I waited 5 years, and I recommend everyone who has severe acne to just go on roaccutane.

Reviewed on April 5, 2012

I hate to be a downer, I have hormonal acne/adult acne and basically this and dianette and others have cleared my acne up perfectly but once you come off the meds it ALWAYS comes back with a vengence basically its meds for life which to be honest im not that bothered with its just annoying when the antibs stop working and u have to go on somethin else.

Even with accutane it can come back :( but hey a few pills a day for clear skill im up for that!

Reviewed on April 4, 2012

I have been on Doctor-prescribed Oxytetracycline pills (250mg) for about 3 months now. Within about 2-3 week of taking this stuff my mild acne had cleared up very well indeed, the most successful of anything i've tried (BP, topical retinoids, various cleansers/washes/exfoliants/off the shelf products). The stuff tastes sweet going down, I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about.. I think it might be sugar-coated! I found that just washing my face with water every morning and evening was good. Everyone's different - the general advice here is to cleanse and moisturise but I find this just irritates my skin and makes things worse.

I'd definitely recommend this product if you can get your doctor to give it you and you've already tried topical creams and stuff. DEFINITELY try this stuff before going on something hardcore like accutane, that stuff is not to be taken lightly!

Reviewed on March 27, 2012

I've been using tetracycline for 2 months now and I haven't seen any results :(

I had originally got the prescription from my family doctor for 2 pills (250mg) twice daily and then went to a dermatologist about a month after. He was surprised she gave me a high dosage even though all of the reviews say they start out with a high dosage and slowly decrease it. He made me stop doing it twice but instead have only 2 pills a day. He also prescribed two creams (an anti-bacteria face cream - 2 daily and a retinal - 1 daily) and the creams work wonders on my face! But I still get acne on my neck, shoulders, and back and there has been no change although I'm constantly be told by my dermatologist that tetracycline SHOULD be working. I still think if you don't have any other choice to give it a try.

If my dermatologist allowed me I would have started accutane months ago! (I've had the blood test and got the okay from my doctor)

Reviewed on March 8, 2012

I haven't heard anyone in all the reviews have the same side effects as I did so I would say try it out, it did work perfect for my skin, just made me a little nuts

Reviewed on March 5, 2012

I love this stuff! It completely cleared my horrible cystic acne in about a month. I tried everything from Proactiv, cutting dairy out of my diet, urine facials (yes, I was that desperate!) Tetracycline was my miracle solution. I rarely experienced side effects while taking Tetracycline. Once in awhile I'd get a stomach ache, but it would only last for half an hour, if that. The only down side to this medication is that you have to take it on an empty stomach. Being a teenage boy, this is extremely difficult for me, but it's so worth it! I would definitely recommend Tetracycline to any acne sufferer! It feels awesome to wake up in the morning and not have to worry if I broke out. :)

Reviewed on February 23, 2012

taking in combination with dianette. works really well. im worried spots will return worse than ever when i come of them!

Reviewed on February 22, 2012

I would say Tetracycline is often one of the first antibiotics your given if you have bad skin.

I used it for about a year and spent about 6 months clear but started to notice it wasn't working as well as it did before after a while.

I had no remission of my acne afterwards, once I stopped the antibiotic, the acne came back.

I didn't really like the tablets as they repeated on me with some strange taste and sometimes made me feel sick but I stuck with it whilst they were working.

I was never told not to have dairy whilst on it but I always timed my dairy intake as far from the tablet as possible because it would make my stomach gurgle etc.

Basically its a good first antibiotic but son't be surprised if you build up a resistance to it and need something stronger.

Reviewed on February 7, 2012

The dermotologist suggested that taking Tetracycline twice every day for 2 months will give me clear skin but sadly, shes very wrong. This medicine hasn't made a difference on my skin and I've been consistence with it since day 1. The cycle just keeps on rotating... New pimples are growing while old zits are leaving my skin with hyperpigmentation marks that takes forever to go away. In a few weeks, my doctor is finally going to put me on accutane; I just had enough with acne. I couldn't take the low-self esteem, low-self confident, and depression that comes along with it any longer. Acne has been the longest and toughest battle I had to fight against ever since I reach puberty. My decision is set and accutane is the choice I will make. Although Tetracycline wasn't working for me, that doesn't mean it will not work for you. I just had too much sebum production on my face and this medicine couldn't cure it.

Reviewed on February 6, 2012

Started on the 22nd december, now the 6th febuary and somehow my spots have literally gone in the last week, like im not just saying that each day i got less and less and less and now i have non, just quite a lot of hyper pigmentation, completely cleared pustular and papular acne, and slowly clearing my comedonal acne, dont matter though going on roaccutane cos i dont wanna go through acne again.

Also started to eat healthy and only wash my face with water around same time i cleared up, dunno if its coincedental, but i believe if you eat all this bad junk food then it will come out in your face, and look at your facial washer and read all the chemicals, surely not good to put on your face? Look at the eskimo people for example, not a case of acne and then the americans colonised there and acne became apparent in the population, bad food... i dunno, also take flaxseed oil and havent experianced a outbreak, EVERYONES DIFFERENT YOU AINT GUNNA FIND AN ANSWER FOR YOUR TROUBLES UNLESS YOUR TRY IT