Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 349 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

IT WORKS!!!
Reviewed on July 2, 2014

It definitely worked for me!!!! After 6 months taking it my acne is completely gone, it is the only thing that worked for me!!! I had no side effects and could see the improvement in my skin everyday!!!

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:05
How long have you been off of the antibiotic? Has any acne returned since and if so what is the severity of it?
Such a naive treatment, you really need to read this.
Reviewed on January 24, 2014

Please read this if your GP has recommended this treatment, you need to understand and know what I am going to tell you.

I've been on this, or I was on this, for about two years. I was also using Benzoyl Peroxide and used Erythromycin (another antibiotic), to treat acne.

Antibiotics, at best, kill about 50%-75% of your acne, they will never get rid of your acne as the cause, i.e. hormones, allergies, immune system, is not treated. No matter how much you kill the Propionibacterium acnes, they are naturally occurring on your skin (and perform other functions, like preventing more serious skin infections), and so will only keep coming back, and eventually after long term use (maybe two years or more) will become resistant to antibiotics.

MEANWHILE you are destroying your immune system, metabolism and almost everything in your body. The gut contains bacteria, and one of the main warned side affects of antibiotics are diarrhoea, wind, bloating i.e. impaired gut function. The antibiotics demolish the microflora in your gut, and this ecosystem is what controls your immune system, nutrition intake and metabolism. Please do feel free to google any of this, I'm am 100%, have consulted many doctors, read much research, these are FACTS, I will not delve into speculation here. There is plenty of that about on these kind of websites.

You either have two acne types as far as I am concerned, you will either grow out of it post-puberty, i.e 19-20 maybe 21. In which case you need to just DEAL with it. Acne is horrible, it ruins self esteem, it feels unfair that you have it, you wish you could be 'normal' like everyone else. But such a high percentage of teenagers suffer from acne, it is not actually such a dramatic thing, and in most cases your acne WILL be gone by your 20's.

a) This is the important bit:

HOWEVER, if you take antibiotics in your teenage years to try control your skin, you will not clear your skin fully (so you will not be satisfied, believe me I know, you want it all gone, even if there are 3 or 4 spots left, you'll still feel as bad as if there were 9-10. Or 20% back covered in acne, compared to 80%. Any or other similar ratios.) In the process you will have made yourself open to serious health issues in the future, I'm talking potentially many years of weak immune system, diarrhoea, nausea, allergies (milk, egg, wheat) and if you think living with acne is hard - you won't survive with this. This is a very real issue and problem, sure it may not happen to you, but what antibiotics do is they leave you open to stomach infections, and if you get one of those, they can last for years, or permanently alter your stomach function so you no longer can eat wheat, milk, or anything, without feeling severely ill!

OR b) you may have adult acne, in which case antibiotics will not make a difference, and you need to take something more considerable like accutane, which WILL cure you 100%, with possible side effects. This is far more preferable to antibiotics, which do not 100% cure you, and WILL cause side effects, and sometimes long term.

As for benzoyl peroxide, it may dry your skin, and leave you open to skin infections when you finish using it (damaged skin + not natural bacteria left to fight off infection) but all in all, acne IS a current issue, so I think benzoyls pro's weigh heavier than it's cons.

That's me done, I just had to leave this information here, even if its just to settle my mind that I have tried to help others. I used to browse this forum desperately searching for a 'cure', turns out my severe bacne and mild facial acne faded by themselves when I stopped benzoyl and left the teenage years. But now my intestinal dysbiosis lives with me, and I am having to pay £3000 pound for treatment, as well as live with the health consequences. In hindsight it is not worth the risk people, I hope I can get that point across to you.

Best of luck

It actually worked!
Reviewed on January 6, 2014

I took an antibiotic called "Tetralysal" and it is the only thing that has taken my acne away. No side effects whatsoever, I felt great during the whole time, but it took some time before I could see any improvement. When I stopped taking the pills my skin looked great (I would get an occasional pimple, but in comparison to what I used to look like it was fantastic) and did so for another six months, then I started breaking out again like before I started taking the pill... It works temporarily but doesn't take away the cause of the acne, so once you stop the risk of getting acne again is big. But for me who has tried a lot of things, this is one of few that actually worked, if only for a short time.

Helps break the acne cycle
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

One thing I have always noticed is that acne causes more acne. If you have a few days of clear skin, it's easier to keep it clear than after a bad breakout. Tetracyclines help break that constant breakout cycle and give time for your skin to recover. i would not call this a miracle pill, but it does help acne clear faster and breakouts are less frequent and severe (fewer cysts etc). I wouldn't say that it cleared my acne completely, but it did help. The biggest downside is that you have to take the pill(s) on an empty stomach, i.e two hours before or two hours after a meal. this means if you wake up for work, you have to take the pills right away and wait two hours to eat....and no more bedtime snacks either! It also causes nausea and general fatigue, although this does wear off after a few weeks. I guess the biggest problem is that it is not a long term solution....I did not have a worsening of acne after coming of tetracyclines, but I know many people do.

not bad
Reviewed on November 11, 2013

I never used to have acne before I turned 20. In 2 months my face turned into an acne warzone. I got cysts on my chin area, which gradually progressed along my jawline and lower cheeks. These were so red and traumatized me, as I had NEVER had anything like it before. There were so many spots, some would heal, and the marks would remain, and new ones would come. Mineral foundation hid the redness thankfully.

I've been on tetracycline for 2 months. It took this long for me to see a DIFFERENCE, but I'm so happy I stuck with the regimen and didn't give up. Now, my face isnt blemish free as when I was 19, but it's really getting better. I have no more cysts on my chin at all, just the red marks which will go away with a little more time. My jawline is not acne-free, but it's getting better as well. When I pass my fingers over my face I dont want to cry anymore. All this to say, please don't give up on tetracycline even if you havent see a difference yet. The regimen for these pills is 3 months. By the 3rd month, I'm sure I'll have my face back 100% (no marks or acne), considering the way things are going now. I'm also using topical products at night and morning.

I was extremely depressed when I got acne at 20 for the first time, and so severe. I thought tetracycline would work within 2 weeks. IT DOESNT. It's a gentler antibiotic that takes its time. I accepted that I have an infection, just that it happens to be on my face - which is what acne is. Once I accepted this crappy fact, it was easier to deal with. Sh*t happens. Tetracycline can help you, but dont be impatient and do use mineral foundation in the meantime if you're worried about what people think. Acne is dumb and annoying, but it's really more common than you think, and will go away if you fight it, like any infection.

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:08
When you completed the cycle did you find that your acne returned? If so, how long did it take and to what severity compared with before the treatment? Thanks!
Ineffective with quite noticeable side-effects
Reviewed on October 31, 2013

I have moderate acne, I had been trying topical treatments, Hundreds of dollars later I still have acne probably worse now. It was bad enough for me to go seek treatment but isn't severe by any means. I was given a few options; 1) General Birth control. 2) Tetracycline. 3) Birth Control + Accutane

I really wanted to avoid birth control as im not at a state where I need to be on that. I asked my doctor if Birth control caused weight gain of which i would notice (Im 15 and I weigh 92 pounds) He said it would cause noticeable weight gain. I severely wanted to avoid that so I decided to take the second option and take Tetracycline for a period of 3 months as prescribed by my doctor. I just finished my 3 month period a week ago and it didn't clear anything up. I'm absolutely stumped. I dont want to take Birth Control but I really have no other option. I'm tired of having to cake on foundation and concealers just to barely cover the blemishes and redness. I was really hopeful... I really didnt want to be disappointed because I dont have severe acne... its just stubborn :( I wash my face twice a day everyday for as long as I can remember and I just dont know where to go from here.

good , lower acne counts, long lasting
Reviewed on October 28, 2013

i am taking 250 mg tetracycline with zinc . Its makes clear 90% , 1 0r 2 zits, thats nothing problem.

Tetracycline is a Bacteriostatic that stops bacteria from reproducing, while not necessarily harming them or killing them, its simply inhibits protein needed for bacteria. so if u get more acne take more tatracyline 750mg(250mg*3) to 1000 mg (500*2) after diet. Use antidandruff shampoo daily, If i get more acne i take 500mg until it clears. then reduce to 250 mg.

IF U SERIOUSLY WANT TO KICK THE ACNE , THIS IS ONLY FOR SERIOUS PEOPLE WHO'S SELF CONFIDENCE, AFFECTED BY ACNE AND CANT TOLERATE ACNE.

1. stop all your diet types of food and drinks etc.Stop everything.

2. take only wheat oats as food(cook wheat oats with water and add some salt for taste) for breakfast, lunch, supper.

3. Dont eat anything only wheat oats is your food , dont drink anything (any beverage, milk etc) water is your drink.

4. Use antidandruff shampoo daily.

5 take tetracycline 250 mg twice( morning and night) and also take zinc 65mg enough at night

Just look at the results in 1 week. then u will fallow it life long, results is awesome, beautiful, clear skin face.

"without water there is no tree, without fatty, high calories food there is no acne. SImple but Worth."

this will seriously work for any people fatty and high calories food is the only reason for all diseases. God bless us.

Works really well
Reviewed on October 4, 2013

Worked really good the 3 months I was on it. I can recommend this to people with mild acne - just make sure not to take it with dairy and, to get the possible best effect, take it 1 hour before a meal.

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:11
Did you find that your acne returned after finishing the treatment? If so, was it the same level of severity as before?
Initially made my acne worse then I noticed no difference
Reviewed on August 7, 2013

I was prescribed Tetracycline by my doctor and was advised to take it for a month before expecting any noticeable results. My acne was pretty bad so I took it religiously for a month in the hope that my acne would at least be reduced. Not only did it not clear my skin but it made it 100x WORSE. I know they say it has to get worse before it gets better but this breakout was just ridiculous! I stopped taking Tetracycline and started taking these natural supplements and I finally have the clear skin I've always longed for :D ( Apart from the odd breakout but nothing as bad as it was). These are what I took:

[link removed]

Works great for a while, not worth it in the long-run
Reviewed on July 2, 2013

I took oxytetracycline from October 2009 to April 2011. The drug took about 4 months to kick in but, once I did, I had flawlessly perfect skin. It was great! However, from around November 2010 the drug gradually decreased in effectiveness. Now that I've come off it my skin is worse than ever and I'm still suffering from this now, in July 2013. The chances are that the drug will help for a bit, but will then make your acne worse in the long run. For this reason, it just isn't worth it! I'm entirely sure that if I hadn't taken the drug, I would have naturally outgrown acne by now.