Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 354 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline Hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Reviewed on November 25, 2015

When I first started taking this two months ago it worked great and it worked fast, it cleared up my acne within a week. Unfortunately it stopped working surprisingly fast.. and my acne came back out pretty much overnight and it worse than what it was before I started taking this.

I had an allergic reaction to this
Reviewed on November 12, 2015

My chest broke out in hives.... but glad My body rejected it.

Unfortunately the dr. then put me on doxycyclin. They kept me on it for YEARS! (high school) as soon as I stopped or if I didnt have it on hand my face would EXPLODE.

Wasnt curing anthing was only covering up the problem.

Keep in mind these are also meds that are typically given to people to treat respitory infections. I wasn't sick..., I had acne! Later i learned my acne was triggered by food intolerances. FOOD! Simple as that...

I still resent not being more aware when i was younger and that the Doctors were as sh*tty as they were.

Thankfully I still have my liver!

not worthy
Reviewed on July 29, 2015

it is really hard to have clear skin with these antibiotics. if it works, whenever you give up, they will come up again. maybe it can be more worthy for mild cases.

Reviewed on June 28, 2015

Yeah, i would say this is the better review, or at least the one that's similar to my case.

One has to be really organized in the bed time and eating habits to get results. Otherwise you will have an unstoppable nausea. You can't drink alcohol while you are medicated and its good to know that ya need to drink one probiotic at day.

3 months no difference
Reviewed on May 26, 2015

Been on this drug 3 months hasn't done a thing! My acne has probably got worse if anything where it is practically being left untreated due to this drug not working which is really effecting my self esteem! May work differently for different people but to me it has been a massive waste of 3 entire months!! Also have had headaches, dizziness and a lot of unexplained mood swings for the first two months! Back to the doctors Monday to see the next step..

Reviewed on September 8, 2014

I gave this 3 stars because it did help clear up my skin, but I think it was making me really sick. I loved that it cleared up my acne with out any scaring but my happiness was short lived. There are a host of side effects from Tetracycline. I gave up on the antibiotics and felt instantly better. It may be worth it for some people but not for me.

by lbella on 11/14/2014 22:15
how long did it take for your skin to clear up before you stopped taking it?
Reviewed on July 2, 2014

It definitely worked for me!!!! After 6 months taking it my acne is completely gone, it is the only thing that worked for me!!! I had no side effects and could see the improvement in my skin everyday!!!

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:05
How long have you been off of the antibiotic? Has any acne returned since and if so what is the severity of it?
by Booboo123 on 05/26/2015 12:22
Did it take an entire 6 months to work? When did you notice it started to improve?
by CarlaWild on 09/03/2015 13:24
Took a full month to see results but definitely worth it!
Such a naive treatment, you really need to read this.
Reviewed on January 24, 2014

Please read this if your GP has recommended this treatment, you need to understand and know what I am going to tell you.

I've been on this, or I was on this, for about two years. I was also using Benzoyl Peroxide and used Erythromycin (another antibiotic), to treat acne.

Antibiotics, at best, kill about 50%-75% of your acne, they will never get rid of your acne as the cause, i.e. hormones, allergies, immune system, is not treated. No matter how much you kill the Propionibacterium acnes, they are naturally occurring on your skin (and perform other functions, like preventing more serious skin infections), and so will only keep coming back, and eventually after long term use (maybe two years or more) will become resistant to antibiotics.

MEANWHILE you are destroying your immune system, metabolism and almost everything in your body. The gut contains bacteria, and one of the main warned side affects of antibiotics are diarrhoea, wind, bloating i.e. impaired gut function. The antibiotics demolish the microflora in your gut, and this ecosystem is what controls your immune system, nutrition intake and metabolism. Please do feel free to google any of this, I'm am 100%, have consulted many doctors, read much research, these are FACTS, I will not delve into speculation here. There is plenty of that about on these kind of websites.

You either have two acne types as far as I am concerned, you will either grow out of it post-puberty, i.e 19-20 maybe 21. In which case you need to just DEAL with it. Acne is horrible, it ruins self esteem, it feels unfair that you have it, you wish you could be 'normal' like everyone else. But such a high percentage of teenagers suffer from acne, it is not actually such a dramatic thing, and in most cases your acne WILL be gone by your 20's.

a) This is the important bit:

HOWEVER, if you take antibiotics in your teenage years to try control your skin, you will not clear your skin fully (so you will not be satisfied, believe me I know, you want it all gone, even if there are 3 or 4 spots left, you'll still feel as bad as if there were 9-10. Or 20% back covered in acne, compared to 80%. Any or other similar ratios.) In the process you will have made yourself open to serious health issues in the future, I'm talking potentially many years of weak immune system, diarrhoea, nausea, allergies (milk, egg, wheat) and if you think living with acne is hard - you won't survive with this. This is a very real issue and problem, sure it may not happen to you, but what antibiotics do is they leave you open to stomach infections, and if you get one of those, they can last for years, or permanently alter your stomach function so you no longer can eat wheat, milk, or anything, without feeling severely ill!

OR b) you may have adult acne, in which case antibiotics will not make a difference, and you need to take something more considerable like accutane, which WILL cure you 100%, with possible side effects. This is far more preferable to antibiotics, which do not 100% cure you, and WILL cause side effects, and sometimes long term.

As for benzoyl peroxide, it may dry your skin, and leave you open to skin infections when you finish using it (damaged skin + not natural bacteria left to fight off infection) but all in all, acne IS a current issue, so I think benzoyls pro's weigh heavier than it's cons.

That's me done, I just had to leave this information here, even if its just to settle my mind that I have tried to help others. I used to browse this forum desperately searching for a 'cure', turns out my severe bacne and mild facial acne faded by themselves when I stopped benzoyl and left the teenage years. But now my intestinal dysbiosis lives with me, and I am having to pay £3000 pound for treatment, as well as live with the health consequences. In hindsight it is not worth the risk people, I hope I can get that point across to you.

Best of luck

It actually worked!
Reviewed on January 6, 2014

I took an antibiotic called "Tetralysal" and it is the only thing that has taken my acne away. No side effects whatsoever, I felt great during the whole time, but it took some time before I could see any improvement. When I stopped taking the pills my skin looked great (I would get an occasional pimple, but in comparison to what I used to look like it was fantastic) and did so for another six months, then I started breaking out again like before I started taking the pill... It works temporarily but doesn't take away the cause of the acne, so once you stop the risk of getting acne again is big. But for me who has tried a lot of things, this is one of few that actually worked, if only for a short time.

Helps break the acne cycle
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

One thing I have always noticed is that acne causes more acne. If you have a few days of clear skin, it's easier to keep it clear than after a bad breakout. Tetracyclines help break that constant breakout cycle and give time for your skin to recover. i would not call this a miracle pill, but it does help acne clear faster and breakouts are less frequent and severe (fewer cysts etc). I wouldn't say that it cleared my acne completely, but it did help. The biggest downside is that you have to take the pill(s) on an empty stomach, i.e two hours before or two hours after a meal. this means if you wake up for work, you have to take the pills right away and wait two hours to eat....and no more bedtime snacks either! It also causes nausea and general fatigue, although this does wear off after a few weeks. I guess the biggest problem is that it is not a long term solution....I did not have a worsening of acne after coming of tetracyclines, but I know many people do.