Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 358 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline Hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Ruined my life
Reviewed on February 25, 2017

This stuff is poison and has ruined me since I took it. First gave me severe IBS-C, and my acne got 100 times worse. I then developed food intolerances to everything after it, tiny bits of gluten/dairy/sugar/alcohol/fruit break me out.

This *hit is as bad as accutane IMO, and should be taken off the market.

I was only on it a few weeks because it gave me severe stomach pain! Fu*k you pharmaceutical industry

PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis."

There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternatives to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences.

*For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

Did stop me breaking out for some time, but had continuous heart burn as a side effect, and stopped and acne came back
Reviewed on August 10, 2016

Yea i dont use many oral treatment for acne, so this was the first, and to my surprise, it was effective at stopping my breakout for period of time, after a month or so, I noticed that I am getting heart burn more regularly, my acid was coming up in the throat and just an uncomfortable feeling, so decided to do some research and it was a common side effect with this medicine. I thought because my pimples have stopped breaking out, and im getting this annoying side effect, and also the fact that its a antibiotic which can be dangerous as i may gain immunity, I dropped it. My heartburn stopped, and after a month my acne came back. Start taking tetracycline, heart burn came back right on the day, went to GP, told me that tetracyline gaves me heartburn so give me another oral acne medication, and he does, but what he literally gives me is another form of tetracyline, so my heartburn came back again. Anyway i start breaking out now, and now i got Erythromycin, lets see how that will work out.

Also regular heart burn apparently increases the chance of throat cancer by 70%, so yea didnt wanted to take the risk.

Watch your reaction to this! Take the side affects seriously
Reviewed on March 6, 2016

( this might pop up twice- had a problem posting)

So at 38 I am fed up with the cystic acne. Have tried various BC pills and topical medication. YAZ is the only BC that will even start to touch the large cystic acne I get on my neck, chin and behind the ears.

So I was given minocycline to start. I started feeling dizzy and inebriated. It was like I was drinking continuously the entire day. I was slurrying words and having to concentrate on just walking. I have 3 kids/ won't do. The second day I contacted my primary care and the nurse advised I stop the drugs and come in. The doctor said she she didn't NOT believe I was having symptoms but she said she wanted me to try the drug again. That just because my body wasn't used to it didn't mean I was allergic. She sent me home with doxycycline as well in case I couldn't handle the first after trying it again for a few days.

After 2 days I was again unable to function. At this point I was doubting myself about my side affects and feeling terrible about the cystic acne that is destroying my skin.

So I switched to the doxycycline. Right away I stopped feeling dizzy and thought "this just might work". Last night ( the 2nd night taking doxycycline) I went to bed early feeling worn out ( I am a runner and running a marathon next weekend so I thought maybe it was my training). I woke at 12:39 with a large welt the side of a silver dollar on my side. Showed hubby and we took a picture- went back to bed. Woke up at 4:30 because I felt terrible- was covered with welts all over my body the side of my had and raised a quarter to half and inch. My cheeks, lips and right eye were swollen and my throat was tight and didn't feel right.

Went to the ER - attending told me that I am severely allergic to ALL tetracyclines. I was give three types of medication, an epi pen and an inhaler. I was told to go back to primary care and get allergy testing now as well.

I am frustrated with my primary care doctor for disregarding my symptoms ( she said maybe I have vertigo- have never had that before).

Frustrated with the adult acne and now this.

Please be careful when you take these medications and watch for appropriate reactions. Sometimes I feel they are vague in listing the side affects. How much is acceptable before your body goes over? In my case the doctor said it was the swelling face and throat...

I selected yes for recommending this treatment bc I know it works well for some people/ I just want everyone to be aware that side affects can be serious

Disappointed
Reviewed on November 25, 2015

When I first started taking this two months ago it worked great and it worked fast, it cleared up my acne within a week. Unfortunately it stopped working surprisingly fast.. and my acne came back out pretty much overnight and it worse than what it was before I started taking this.

I had an allergic reaction to this
Reviewed on November 12, 2015

My chest broke out in hives.... but glad My body rejected it.

Unfortunately the dr. then put me on doxycyclin. They kept me on it for YEARS! (high school) as soon as I stopped or if I didnt have it on hand my face would EXPLODE.

Wasnt curing anthing was only covering up the problem.

Keep in mind these are also meds that are typically given to people to treat respitory infections. I wasn't sick..., I had acne! Later i learned my acne was triggered by food intolerances. FOOD! Simple as that...

I still resent not being more aware when i was younger and that the Doctors were as sh*tty as they were.

Thankfully I still have my liver!

not worthy
Reviewed on July 29, 2015

it is really hard to have clear skin with these antibiotics. if it works, whenever you give up, they will come up again. maybe it can be more worthy for mild cases.

tetraciclina
Reviewed on June 28, 2015

Yeah, i would say this is the better review, or at least the one that's similar to my case.

One has to be really organized in the bed time and eating habits to get results. Otherwise you will have an unstoppable nausea. You can't drink alcohol while you are medicated and its good to know that ya need to drink one probiotic at day.

3 months no difference
Reviewed on May 26, 2015

Been on this drug 3 months hasn't done a thing! My acne has probably got worse if anything where it is practically being left untreated due to this drug not working which is really effecting my self esteem! May work differently for different people but to me it has been a massive waste of 3 entire months!! Also have had headaches, dizziness and a lot of unexplained mood swings for the first two months! Back to the doctors Monday to see the next step..

Eh....
Reviewed on September 8, 2014

I gave this 3 stars because it did help clear up my skin, but I think it was making me really sick. I loved that it cleared up my acne with out any scaring but my happiness was short lived. There are a host of side effects from Tetracycline. I gave up on the antibiotics and felt instantly better. It may be worth it for some people but not for me.

by lbella on 11/14/2014 22:15
how long did it take for your skin to clear up before you stopped taking it?