Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 356 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline Hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

Did stop me breaking out for some time, but had continuous heart burn as a side effect, and stopped and acne came back
Reviewed on August 10, 2016

Yea i dont use many oral treatment for acne, so this was the first, and to my surprise, it was effective at stopping my breakout for period of time, after a month or so, I noticed that I am getting heart burn more regularly, my acid was coming up in the throat and just an uncomfortable feeling, so decided to do some research and it was a common side effect with this medicine. I thought because my pimples have stopped breaking out, and im getting this annoying side effect, and also the fact that its a antibiotic which can be dangerous as i may gain immunity, I dropped it. My heartburn stopped, and after a month my acne came back. Start taking tetracycline, heart burn came back right on the day, went to GP, told me that tetracyline gaves me heartburn so give me another oral acne medication, and he does, but what he literally gives me is another form of tetracyline, so my heartburn came back again. Anyway i start breaking out now, and now i got Erythromycin, lets see how that will work out.

Also regular heart burn apparently increases the chance of throat cancer by 70%, so yea didnt wanted to take the risk.

Watch your reaction to this! Take the side affects seriously
Reviewed on March 6, 2016

( this might pop up twice- had a problem posting)

So at 38 I am fed up with the cystic acne. Have tried various BC pills and topical medication. YAZ is the only BC that will even start to touch the large cystic acne I get on my neck, chin and behind the ears.

So I was given minocycline to start. I started feeling dizzy and inebriated. It was like I was drinking continuously the entire day. I was slurrying words and having to concentrate on just walking. I have 3 kids/ won't do. The second day I contacted my primary care and the nurse advised I stop the drugs and come in. The doctor said she she didn't NOT believe I was having symptoms but she said she wanted me to try the drug again. That just because my body wasn't used to it didn't mean I was allergic. She sent me home with doxycycline as well in case I couldn't handle the first after trying it again for a few days.

After 2 days I was again unable to function. At this point I was doubting myself about my side affects and feeling terrible about the cystic acne that is destroying my skin.

So I switched to the doxycycline. Right away I stopped feeling dizzy and thought "this just might work". Last night ( the 2nd night taking doxycycline) I went to bed early feeling worn out ( I am a runner and running a marathon next weekend so I thought maybe it was my training). I woke at 12:39 with a large welt the side of a silver dollar on my side. Showed hubby and we took a picture- went back to bed. Woke up at 4:30 because I felt terrible- was covered with welts all over my body the side of my had and raised a quarter to half and inch. My cheeks, lips and right eye were swollen and my throat was tight and didn't feel right.

Went to the ER - attending told me that I am severely allergic to ALL tetracyclines. I was give three types of medication, an epi pen and an inhaler. I was told to go back to primary care and get allergy testing now as well.

I am frustrated with my primary care doctor for disregarding my symptoms ( she said maybe I have vertigo- have never had that before).

Frustrated with the adult acne and now this.

Please be careful when you take these medications and watch for appropriate reactions. Sometimes I feel they are vague in listing the side affects. How much is acceptable before your body goes over? In my case the doctor said it was the swelling face and throat...

I selected yes for recommending this treatment bc I know it works well for some people/ I just want everyone to be aware that side affects can be serious

Disappointed
Reviewed on November 25, 2015

When I first started taking this two months ago it worked great and it worked fast, it cleared up my acne within a week. Unfortunately it stopped working surprisingly fast.. and my acne came back out pretty much overnight and it worse than what it was before I started taking this.

I had an allergic reaction to this
Reviewed on November 12, 2015

My chest broke out in hives.... but glad My body rejected it.

Unfortunately the dr. then put me on doxycyclin. They kept me on it for YEARS! (high school) as soon as I stopped or if I didnt have it on hand my face would EXPLODE.

Wasnt curing anthing was only covering up the problem.

Keep in mind these are also meds that are typically given to people to treat respitory infections. I wasn't sick..., I had acne! Later i learned my acne was triggered by food intolerances. FOOD! Simple as that...

I still resent not being more aware when i was younger and that the Doctors were as sh*tty as they were.

Thankfully I still have my liver!

not worthy
Reviewed on July 29, 2015

it is really hard to have clear skin with these antibiotics. if it works, whenever you give up, they will come up again. maybe it can be more worthy for mild cases.

tetraciclina
Reviewed on June 28, 2015

Yeah, i would say this is the better review, or at least the one that's similar to my case.

One has to be really organized in the bed time and eating habits to get results. Otherwise you will have an unstoppable nausea. You can't drink alcohol while you are medicated and its good to know that ya need to drink one probiotic at day.

3 months no difference
Reviewed on May 26, 2015

Been on this drug 3 months hasn't done a thing! My acne has probably got worse if anything where it is practically being left untreated due to this drug not working which is really effecting my self esteem! May work differently for different people but to me it has been a massive waste of 3 entire months!! Also have had headaches, dizziness and a lot of unexplained mood swings for the first two months! Back to the doctors Monday to see the next step..

Eh....
Reviewed on September 8, 2014

I gave this 3 stars because it did help clear up my skin, but I think it was making me really sick. I loved that it cleared up my acne with out any scaring but my happiness was short lived. There are a host of side effects from Tetracycline. I gave up on the antibiotics and felt instantly better. It may be worth it for some people but not for me.

by lbella on 11/14/2014 22:15
how long did it take for your skin to clear up before you stopped taking it?
IT WORKS!!!
Reviewed on July 2, 2014

It definitely worked for me!!!! After 6 months taking it my acne is completely gone, it is the only thing that worked for me!!! I had no side effects and could see the improvement in my skin everyday!!!

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:05
How long have you been off of the antibiotic? Has any acne returned since and if so what is the severity of it?
by Booboo123 on 05/26/2015 12:22
Did it take an entire 6 months to work? When did you notice it started to improve?
by CarlaWild on 09/03/2015 13:24
Took a full month to see results but definitely worth it!
Such a naive treatment, you really need to read this.
Reviewed on January 24, 2014

Please read this if your GP has recommended this treatment, you need to understand and know what I am going to tell you.

I've been on this, or I was on this, for about two years. I was also using Benzoyl Peroxide and used Erythromycin (another antibiotic), to treat acne.

Antibiotics, at best, kill about 50%-75% of your acne, they will never get rid of your acne as the cause, i.e. hormones, allergies, immune system, is not treated. No matter how much you kill the Propionibacterium acnes, they are naturally occurring on your skin (and perform other functions, like preventing more serious skin infections), and so will only keep coming back, and eventually after long term use (maybe two years or more) will become resistant to antibiotics.

MEANWHILE you are destroying your immune system, metabolism and almost everything in your body. The gut contains bacteria, and one of the main warned side affects of antibiotics are diarrhoea, wind, bloating i.e. impaired gut function. The antibiotics demolish the microflora in your gut, and this ecosystem is what controls your immune system, nutrition intake and metabolism. Please do feel free to google any of this, I'm am 100%, have consulted many doctors, read much research, these are FACTS, I will not delve into speculation here. There is plenty of that about on these kind of websites.

You either have two acne types as far as I am concerned, you will either grow out of it post-puberty, i.e 19-20 maybe 21. In which case you need to just DEAL with it. Acne is horrible, it ruins self esteem, it feels unfair that you have it, you wish you could be 'normal' like everyone else. But such a high percentage of teenagers suffer from acne, it is not actually such a dramatic thing, and in most cases your acne WILL be gone by your 20's.

a) This is the important bit:

HOWEVER, if you take antibiotics in your teenage years to try control your skin, you will not clear your skin fully (so you will not be satisfied, believe me I know, you want it all gone, even if there are 3 or 4 spots left, you'll still feel as bad as if there were 9-10. Or 20% back covered in acne, compared to 80%. Any or other similar ratios.) In the process you will have made yourself open to serious health issues in the future, I'm talking potentially many years of weak immune system, diarrhoea, nausea, allergies (milk, egg, wheat) and if you think living with acne is hard - you won't survive with this. This is a very real issue and problem, sure it may not happen to you, but what antibiotics do is they leave you open to stomach infections, and if you get one of those, they can last for years, or permanently alter your stomach function so you no longer can eat wheat, milk, or anything, without feeling severely ill!

OR b) you may have adult acne, in which case antibiotics will not make a difference, and you need to take something more considerable like accutane, which WILL cure you 100%, with possible side effects. This is far more preferable to antibiotics, which do not 100% cure you, and WILL cause side effects, and sometimes long term.

As for benzoyl peroxide, it may dry your skin, and leave you open to skin infections when you finish using it (damaged skin + not natural bacteria left to fight off infection) but all in all, acne IS a current issue, so I think benzoyls pro's weigh heavier than it's cons.

That's me done, I just had to leave this information here, even if its just to settle my mind that I have tried to help others. I used to browse this forum desperately searching for a 'cure', turns out my severe bacne and mild facial acne faded by themselves when I stopped benzoyl and left the teenage years. But now my intestinal dysbiosis lives with me, and I am having to pay £3000 pound for treatment, as well as live with the health consequences. In hindsight it is not worth the risk people, I hope I can get that point across to you.

Best of luck