Page 4 of Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 646 reviews

Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil."

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Tea Tree Oil

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Tea Tree Oil

Be very careful with tea tree oil
Reviewed on March 14, 2015

I have mixed feelings about the use of tea tree oil, hence the 3 star rating. I think 100% pure, organic tea tree oil can be an effective spot treatment for individual pimples, but it needs to be diluted. I experienced a severe burn mark when I applied full strength tea tree oil on an emerging pimple, and my skin is oily and strong - not easily affected by topicals. Now when I use tea tree oil, I dilute it with a carrier oil. My favorite carrier oils are hemp seed and argan as they have a "0" comedogenic rating. I dilute at least 50% carrier oil with 50% tea tree oil and apply sparingly, and no more than 3 times a day to individual pimples. In most cases, it will speed up the healing of the pimple by several days.

by glycolic on 03/31/2015 05:35
Hi Emme*Li. How long did your severe burns take to fade? I used a tea tree face wash and left it on overnight (it was only 2% tea tree and 2% witch hazel). It resulted in burns on my cheeks. It has lightened but still visible after almost a year. I am now having glycolic peels to treat it and speed up the fading.
Reviewed on March 11, 2015

I just began using tea tree oil two days ago. I poured half tea tree oil in the cap it came with along with half vitamin E oil. Just in two days I am very impressed! I don't typically have acne, but I currently have small pimples on my right cheek from not taking my make up off before bed (I had midterms and was tired for an entire week, bad decision!!) I also have small dark spots right on my T-zone area that don't seem to go away. In just 24 hours there has been a drastic reduction of the pimples on my face. I'm excited to go home and wash away the day's dirt and to reapply the oil. However, a slight warning!!! Tea tree oil has a STRONG smell. My bathroom is in the back of my house and I can smell it when I enter my front door, from using it hours before. The smell doesn't bother me much, it does not smell bad. It is just a very STRONG smell. Nevertheless I greatly advise using TTO if you have light acne or the occasional pimple!!

Smell is strong
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

Overall the product will takes weeks before you will see an improvement

Clears up whiteheads, but caused more acne
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

I fell in love with this stuff when i first used it. My whiteheads instantly dissapeared it was too good to be true! Then i noticed i broke out really bad after using tea tree oil. When i stopped using it my breakouts were much less severe, but unfortunately i could not use this to clear them up again.

by SheikhOvais on 05/18/2015 18:22
Everyone's skin is different. It may just not be suitable for you. You did well by aborting its use. If something doesn't workout, just leave it and look for another one.
potentially more damaging than nourishing
Reviewed on February 24, 2015

very harsh stuff. caused my skin alot of damage. can kill acne, but can damage skin. would not describe it as 'nourishing'

by *DarkHeart* on 04/24/2015 15:16
In what way did it damage your skin? Just curious because I am looking for a natural acne treatment after a 10% glycolic acid damaged my skin. If TTO can damage my skin as well I want to stay away from it...
Get the proper stuff
Reviewed on March 5, 2015

I would say the only negative thing about tea tree is how hard it is to get REAL tea tree oil, and how easy it is to use it incorrectly.

For one thing, it is not a good idea to apple tea tree oil all over your face, whether it is diluted or not. It is simply too strong for that kind of application. Tea tree oil should be used as a spot treatment on pimples to disinfect them and reduce inflammation.

Secondly, real tea tree oil is extracted from the Australian Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) and should be the 100% pure Australian oil, preferably organic. Yes, it will be more expensive than you would pay for a watered down version, but wouldn't you rather pay a little more and know you are getting the real thing?

Secondly, you should really patch test every spot treatment that you use, and tea tree oil is no different! I recommend starting with a drop of tea tree oil in about a table spoon of water, seeing how your skin reacts over 24 hours, and then proceeding to up the dose one drop at a time if you are not satisfied with the results.

Remember that harsh products, undiluted cause irritation, and although that may appear to kill a pimple or two, irritation is aways bad for acne.

Best acne treatment ever used!
Reviewed on February 28, 2015

Best thing to treat bad pimples! On a Sunday, I had a pimple right in between my eyes on my nose. I tried to pinch it but it made it worse. Monday, it was so huge, red, swollen, and filled with pus. So I took out my Tea Tree Oil and directly applied it. Each day it was getting better and better. And by Friday it was COMPLETELY GONE! Not even a tiny mark! I was astounded! It's the fastest a pimple has ever disappeared on me, and it was the worst, infected pimple I've ever had! It does make your skin dry, so dilute it with water if you are going to apply it all over your face, and always use a good moisturizer! When I dilute it in water and then apply it to my face, it doesn't really get dry. But for that one pimple, I didn't dilute it because I wanted the straight stuff, and it worked brilliantly! Highly recommended!

Reviewed on February 18, 2015

Tea tree oil can work very well as an acne treatment as it is anti-fungal. However, do use caution as 100% tea tree oil is extremely irritating to the skin (it is actually toxic when ingested). It should always be diluted with another oil such as jojoba or olive oil or even with another facial product such as a toner or moisturizer. My breakouts were minimized after using this once daily for a week. I continue to use it, but only about every two to three days.

Reviewed on February 15, 2015

I just put it on and it burnt my skin PLZ help me I am really in need I am 15 and its burning my skin

by lbrittll on 02/16/2015 03:58
Try putting ice on you skin to calm down the irritation
by Ameliox on 02/17/2015 16:23
Put 10 drop tea tree oil into 100 ml face toner. Use this concentration.
by robinsonte13 on 02/18/2015 01:56
You should not use 100% tea tree oil on your skin as it is known to be irritating. ALWAYS use with carrier oils. On the face, you should probably use no more than a half tea tree/half carrier oil mixture. A mixture of about 1/4 tea tree oil to 3/4 carrier oil is probably a safer bet given the irritation you've experienced.
by emme*li on 03/14/2015 14:51
I agree with the above comment not to apply 100% full strength tea tree oil directly on the skin. I learned this lesson why I applied it this way to a pimple and the tea tree oil burned my skin in a circle the size of a dime. It took many days for my skin to repair itself, and I have oily, strong skin. I now dilute it with 50% hemp oil or 50% argan oil (both of which are non-comedogenic). Do a spot test. Apply no more than 3 times a day, sparingly.
Reviewed on January 28, 2015

Did nothing for cystic acne. Caused the lumps to harden. Not recommended for severe cases.

by ShearGenous on 02/18/2015 10:23
Try Glycolic Acid 20% I absolutely love it, I have cystic acne and the Glycolic acid has worked wonders for me.