Tea Tree Oil

Recommended by 87% of visitors

Average price: $9.46

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, western pa on 01/11/2013

I have suffered from cystic acne for over 15 years. At first my birth control (depo) kept is somewhat in check for a long time. I recently got an IUD and stopped depo and the acne came back with a vengeance. I've tried everything except accutane and I figured I was screwed till I had health insurance for it. Not true. I finally tried this and while I'm still getting small breakouts, it's not the huge boils I usually got..

Pros:
  • quick acting
  • works even on cystic acne
Cons:
  • Drying but nothing a little good face lotion didn't fix.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Member reviews

“No”
By on

This works for some people, but those of us who reacted badly, or just didn't help at all and are desperate try neem oil. works better. or epsom salt mixed with honey or even sandalwood powder and make a paste.

Pros

• Works for some

Cons

• Broke me out
  • Lemon juice works better
  • for about a year
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Works for me”
By on

I used this when I used to get huge pimples that would not come to a head.

It tingles when you apply it, but don't worry.

It will also cause the skin, on the area you applied it, to flake. That's completely normal if you're using it undiluted. Which you should only do if you are spot treating.

I also want to let you know that not all brands are created equal. Desert Essence worked AMAZING for me, but I tried a different brand when it ran out because it was a little pricey. Well I learned my lesson because the other brand did nothing for me.

Pros

• Brings pimples to a head.
  • Dries out zits quickly.

Cons

• The smell is VERY strong
  • for more than a year
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“natural”
By on

I use tea tree oil as a spot treatment. It helps with painful pimples to reduce redness and swelling. I have oily skin and the tea tree oil dried up the breakouts that i used it on. I have also used this face wash from the body shop that has tea tree oil and it helps to control breakouts really well.

Pros

• helps with painful zits
  • natural
  • does not irritate skin

Cons

• very strong smell
  • kind of pricey but its worth it
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Nice little addition to a toner or personal regimen”
By on

This is a pretty good product that will help aid in drying up any small existing spots you have. Just don't overdo it or you might find it to irritating.

Pros

• Dries up small spots

Cons

• Smells strong
  • for about a month
  • $ 11
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not terrible or brilliant”
By on

I found it made very little difference to my comedonal acne/ clogged pores that I was trying to target. I used it for around 3 months with not much noticeable difference. It didn't help my acne, but it didn't make it worse either

Pros

• Made skin feel clean
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Strong smell
  • Not very effective
  • for a few months
  • $ 2
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“All Natural”
By on

I used this as a spot treatment. It dries out acne very well. I just dab it on with a cotton swab and it does the job. It's not to drying or harsh either.

Pros

• Natural product
  • Non comedogenic
  • Effective

Cons

• Smell
  • for about a year
  • $ 11
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Thurday Plantation's Organic100% Tea Tree Oil is THE Best and safest acne treatment EVER!!!”
By on

I used Thursday Plantation's Tea Tree Oil all over my face and it cured my acne 100%. Don't use ANY harsh chemical acne products/ washes/ pills or you'll ruin your skin/ health long-term !!! Stick with100% natural remedies. TTO is the best all over topical for acne. I also used 100% lavender oil as a spot treatment only (too drying and harsh to use all over face). NB Use Thursday Plantations 100% Rosehip oil at night (and in the morning) to hydrate, soothe, heal, rebuild, strengthen your skin and make it glow with health (great for scars/ rosacea/ wrinkles/ burns/ aging/ hydraton lines etc too). If you need extra help for moderate/ severe scarring try the short 0.25mm skin needling from [link removed].au with beta glucan liquid from New Directions or do a vigorous facial massage for at least 30 - 60 minutes everyday for 2 weeks (you could try the Wellbox too, I have not used it yet, but it looks quite good). Lastly, only cleanse with sea salt + water or a gentle natural cleanser (like New Directions' Gentle Lotion Cleanser). Eat very healthy & nutrient dense foods i.e. vegan, mostly raw, wholefoods, organic, quinoa, broccoli, dried apricots with sulphur/ sulphites and fresh, chia seeds, sprouted foods, microgreens, wholefoods, superfoods, rice, lebanese bread or seeded bread (but not often to avoid gluten), baked potato/ sweet potato, scoop of chlorella/ spirulina/ barley grass/ wheat grass in fresh juice daily, salads with fresh lemon juice & evoo & salt + pepper, nuts/ seeds/ lentils/ chickpeas, sea vegetables, hummus, red onion, garlic, unhulled tahini, figs, tempeh, dark vegan 85% chocolate, avocado, turmeric, fresh herbs/ thyme/ coriander/ mint/ flat parsley, raw kale, berries, strawberries, beetroot, carrot, pumpkin, spinach leave salad etc. Take a quality potent multivitamin/ mineral daily, 2000- 3000 mcg of B12 weekly, kelp for iodine, flaxseed oil and drink fresh veg/ fruit juices or spring water daily. [Also get a little natural sunlight on your body/ face daily without sunscreen for vitamin D/ sleep in a dark, cool room, and make your bedroom/ home hygienic, dust free and clean]. Furthermore, AVOID, dairy, tap water, fluoride toothpaste (use herbal/ mineral toothpaste), GMO, processed sugar, corn syrup, gluten, pasta, canned foods, foods in BPA & other plastic containers, processed sauces/ processed foods, meats/ fish/ eggs (usually filled with toxins like pesticides/ heavy metal/ gases/ dyes/ diseases/ GMO/ antibiotics/ hormones etc), junk food, chips, fried food, microwave foods, sodas, aspartame, coffee, tea, vinegar etc; research new health information, great places to start is [link removed].au and [link removed] . I also found success with Steiva A (Retin A) .05% for rough skin texture, however, I'm only using rosehip oil now...please only consider Steiva A if you have severely damaged or aged skin as it is potent and can thin/ damage your skin. Do not use if you are young or have only light scarring/ acne. Also, only consider very light glycolic peels if you have severe scarring/ skin damage every 2 weeks for a few months, then stop for a few months - do this for a year ONLY (i.e. start at 10% and maybe work your way to 25% after 6 to 12 months of VERY careful use and rare usage) and ONLY if you have very severe/ all over acne scarring or you could burn your skin and severely damage it badly. However, If you burn your skin, see a professional for treatment immediately and use healing burn scar topicals with beta glucan, like New Directions' Beta Glucan Liquid and Thursday Plantations 100% Rosehip oil. Cheers!

Pros

• Potent, highly effective & natural
  • Can apply all over face/ many uses, not just acne
  • Helps heal skin damage/ stop skin cancer

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for more than a year
  • $ 5.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I dilute my tea tree oil with water and use as a toner over my problem areas, or I'll just use it straight to spot treat. It's definitely reduced the size of my pimples and helped them clear up faster. Smell is very strong though, I got used to it.

Pros

• Helps dry up pimples faster
  • Great as a toner when diluted

Cons

• Strong herbal smell
  • for about a month
  • $ 9
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Tea tree oil is a fantastic product. Personally, it has not cleared up my acne, but if used as a spot treatment repetitively throughout the day the pimples diminish very quickly.

My greatest success is with my redness and minor scaring. I applied tea tree oil to my splotchy red patches of skin and it reduced the inflamation like a charm! I had to keep using it for about a month for noticeable results, but It was well worth it. Now my face is no longer red nor are my minor scars visible. Awesome!

Pros

• Clears acne with repeated application
  • Significantly reduces inflammation
  • Decreases visibility of scars

Cons

[not submitted]
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Ive used so many products from creams to tablets and nothing worked.

So i thought to give this a shot and im glad i did, I used sudocrem when i had big acne spots which decreased the size then i used tea tree oil which made the spots smaller and less visible.

good product!

worth a try!

Pros

• Smells nice
  • easy to put on
  • does not irritate skin
  • works effectively
  • no 'new' acne spots since using this

Cons

• The small bottle does run out very quickly
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.