Page 2 of Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 596 reviews

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Great Disinfectant, Reduces redness and inflammation and helps prevent future breakouts. Avoid over using it to prevent drying.
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

I absolutely adore tea tree oil. I've been using it for about 10 years now (although not as much as I should, only lately because I am pregnant and my mild hormonal acne is back!). It is a great disinfectant and it really helps to relieve pain, reduce redness and inflammation and clean out the pores. Used daily, it helps prevent future breakouts, but it's not for everyone. Everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to different products, you just have to try it and stick with it. You can't use it for one day and expect to see drastic results. Use any product you try for at least 3-4 weeks to notice any change. You have to be patient. For me, tea tree oil did wonders. And I am using it again now to tame the whiteheads on my chin due to my hormones during pregnancy. It has been helping quite a bit. I apply it in the morning and at night. I also use apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and witch hazel as toners. And follow up with coconut oil as a moisturizer. Always moisturize after using tea tree oil, and you should never have problems with dryness. Dryness can also be from over-using it. Apply small amounts and only twice daily. Less is more. You don't need to slather it on. You won't see results any faster, you'll just dry out your skin!

by darajanan on 08/09/2014 08:32
where do you buy tea tree oil?
just started
Reviewed on August 5, 2014

just started using this with a bit of moisturiser as im scared it it will be too strong to use neat? has anyone used it neat?? how long before results

Too drying
Reviewed on June 22, 2014

Dries out spots but also dries out skin horribly too.

by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 17:41
If your skin is drying out it is because you're applying to much or not moisturizing afterwards, or a combination of both. I had this problem too and I applied way less (less is more) and I moisturized with coconut oil afterwards and never had a drying problem.
love love love!!!
Reviewed on June 14, 2014

I had tried everything... Epiduo, bpo, clindamycin, differin, you name it. Everything seemed to take too much time and didn't help much to prevent. I wanted to switch over to something more natural and decided to try to add this into my regimen.

It's amazing. Literally once you get over the gross herbal smell (which had grown on me!) You'll start to love the tingly sensation on your face of killing off acne and preventing new ones.

My regimen: add ONE DROP to moisturizer AM and PM. If I'm feeling a break out coming on from my menstrual cycle then I'll add two or three drops AND/OR spot treat using a qtip. It literally reduces the size of a full fledged red angry pimple by 50% next morning. In less than 3 days that pimple will be gone. Never had any medicine ever work this great!!!!!

Really the only thing is the smell. I like it but I guess it can get to some people. The smell wears off later.

Highly recommended.

Not for me
Reviewed on May 16, 2014

I tried using 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil (TTO) from NOW foods to control my 7-years ongoing mild acne problem. I generally only had acne on my right cheek and would rarely break out anywhere else (except maybe right jaw line as well). At the time I started using TTO, I had 3 problem pimples on my right cheek. Within a day or two it turned into 5. A week later, 10. A month in now, I can count about 20 painful, red, hideous pimples on my face. Worst part is, it's no longer isolated to my right cheek. I have pimples on my forehead, left cheek, nose, chin, everywhere!

Some extra information: I started off by pouring a little TTO onto a cotton swab and then applying the oil all over my face (nondiluted) after every shower. I would then leave it on the entire night. Since my breakouts only got progressively worse, I thought maybe that was too much concentration and area, so a couple weeks in, I started diluting it and using it as spot treatment only (dipping a Q-tip first in water, then TTO). I notice that every single small pimple I try to spot treat turns into a papule, then a pustule, then eventually a nodule. TTO has definitely making my acne worse, the worst I have ever seen it.

I will discontinue use of it and see if my face gets any better.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:04
Hi! I have recently experienced this same thing! I started TTO for the same reasons, with very very mild acne. After three days of spot treating my face with 10% TTO, my entire face has erupted. I am a month out fromnusing TTO, and my skin still looks just as bad. The nodules and pustules will not clear no matter what I do! Went to my dermatologist, and she is having me use a gentle cleanser along with Aczone topical cream. I am also taking an oral antibiotic. I have been on this regimen for three weeks with not much luck. How is your face doing? What have you used since stopping TTO? Is anything working?? Thanks!!
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Just saying - acne like this is probably caused by something really specific like using your cellphone on a specific side of your face, or sleeping on your side, or driving and the sun hits that side. Sleeping face up should help a lot !! Or using speakerphone or using a hat : )
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Great for very oily and sensitive skin
Reviewed on April 8, 2014

I'm currently using Desert Essence brand -Kinder to Skin Australian Tea Tree oil. This one is for sensitive skin; it comes in a bigger bottle for $8.49 @ Whole Foods market. I'd say this is the best organic product that ever worked on my acne. Nothing is completely perfect but this is good enough to treat acne and skin naturally. There's been improvement ever since I started using it. I also use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean face wash and the Oil control lotion. Better than benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv, Burt's Bees, Neutrogena...I just couldn't believe Proactiv seems popular but it's no different that other over the counter medication. It has Salilyic acid just like the other ones which never worked on my acne. No effect at all. It's a waste of money to buy a product with the same ingredient when you can buy another one for a lesser price at any store.

But Australian Tea Tree oil really woks if you use it the right way. I don't dilute mine with water but I probably should since it can be a bit stingy but it conditions my skin and dries up the acne. Eating healthy and not being too stressed will probably help too.

Not a fan of purging.
Reviewed on April 7, 2014

I used 100% tea tree oil without even diluting it. Which is not a good idea.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:05
What did you experience? What did you use to clear up after TTO? Is your face better now?
Great
Reviewed on April 4, 2014

TIP: don't use straight TTO (also called melaleuca). I put it in some cocoanut oil so it doesn't dry my skin and it delutes it some as well. Also if you store it in another container don't use anything but glass because it'll break down plastic. But anyway I've used it for about a week and it seems to be clearing my acne. I've had acne for about 3 years and it was getting worse which is so frustrating. I heard it worked for a friend and I was pretty desperate anyway so I went for it. I put it on at night and put a little bit directly on a big spot on the morning if it needs it. If you delute it it shouldn't sting or dry out as much. I've heard there's a detox stage so if it gets worse but isn't irritating your skin I'd hold out a little longer. It's natural and pretty powerful so that's basically a win!

WARNING! Avoid 100% Tea Tree Oil!!!!
Reviewed on March 11, 2014

5% Tea Tree Oil = 5% Benzoyl Peroxide?

Most people here are going to use tea tree oil, because they see that it's been compared to 5% benzoyl peroxide. I read this study as well, and I'm hearing that 5% tea tree oil may still work, as long as you dilute it in a carrier oil or water. Makes sense.

You wouldn't want to slather 100% b.p. all over your face, and the same goes for tea tree oil.

I just wanted to let you guys know, because I'm doing a 15-day study (with daily pictures) on tea tree oil, and using it exactly as you would Dan's Regimen, (just replacing 2.5% b.p. with 100% tea tree) and this is a HUGE mistake. For the sake of science, I'm going to complete my study, which you can follow below:

This is the first time I have broken out in cystic acne since doing my "acne on purpose," study. Seriously! Avoid 100% tea tree oil like it's the plague.

If this was helpful, feel free to thumb this up, and spread the word so people know to NOT use 100% tea tree oil. Again, 5% may work, but 100% is a huge mistake, and will cause cystic acne! I've seen many other people in the Forum here experiencing similar reactions.

PS: If you are going to dilute tea tree oil, the best way to do it is to go 95ml water and 5ml tea tree oil. That's all "they" mean when they say 2.5% or 5% of something. It's 2.5 parts 'x' and 97.5 parts 'y'.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:06
Have you been able to get rid of your acne after using TTO? How?
by EmmyK007 on 09/18/2014 12:29
I have been using 25% strength and it's working wonders. I dilute 5ml for every 15 ml Avocado Oil, which is known for being moisturizing. I steam my face over just boiled water to open the pores. I the massage about 5 ml of my oil mixture onto my face for about 2 minutes. I then exfoliate with sugar (the oil prevents the skin from tearing during this process!) and use a really hot washcloth to steam the remaining oil off my face. My skin feels soft at the end, and moisturized without feeling greasy. If you have a problem with overdrying I highly recommend this method- my acne improves significantly overnight! I do it once a day before bed. It is a process but so far in my experience it is worth it!!!
Miracle oil, indeed
Reviewed on March 7, 2014

The only solution that work for me. I never thought oil can heal acne but in the opposite, it does. It heal wounded acne so fast like it was a 5 days healed acne. I like tea tree oil so much. I recommend Thrusday Tea Tree Oil as i'm using it.