Page 2 of Tea Tree Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 600 reviews

Tea tree oil is defined by international standard ISO 4730 (2004) ("Oil of Melaleuca, Terpinen-4-ol type"), which specifies levels of 15 components, which are needed to define the oil as "tea tree oil.

Among over 98 compounds contained in the oil, terpinen-4-ol is responsible for most of the antimicrobial activity.

Amazing spot treatment - but use carefully!
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

100% tea tree oil is absolutely the best spot treatment I have ever come across. I dab a little on any pimples that form and they flatten days faster than they would ordinarily.

However - only use as a spot treatment (at least in its undiluted form) and only use until the pimple flattens! It leaves healthy skin red and irritated, and if you continue to use it on flattened pimples, they remain very red and take longer to heal.

by lotachi on 11/21/2014 14:53
so you mean it is only for pimples?
great product
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I started using tea tree over a year ago and it's just wonderful! My friend recommended me this cool trick:

https://[link removed]

by Jcham on 09/14/2014 02:58
What cool trick? The link was removed.
Depending on the purity
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

Tea tree oil is known for its antibacterial and healing properties and I use it sometimes. The one I used at first wasn't 100 percent pure and I really didn't notice a difference so I decided to purchase a100 percent pure tea tree oil bottle. This was slightly better and I did notice a bit of difference but not a major one. I would recommend it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Doesn't work for me
Reviewed on August 10, 2014

Im using this product for the last 2 weeks and have no progress.. in the first week i used it diluting with organic virgin coconut oil, didn't help so i started using directly.. still no use, my pimples don't get reduces, scars haven't gotten better, and new ones keep coming.. I'm at a loss of what to do now, I heard good things about TTO so i thought something can finally help me but didn't work.

Great Disinfectant, Reduces redness and inflammation and helps prevent future breakouts. Avoid over using it to prevent drying.
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

I absolutely adore tea tree oil. I've been using it for about 10 years now (although not as much as I should, only lately because I am pregnant and my mild hormonal acne is back!). It is a great disinfectant and it really helps to relieve pain, reduce redness and inflammation and clean out the pores. Used daily, it helps prevent future breakouts, but it's not for everyone. Everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to different products, you just have to try it and stick with it. You can't use it for one day and expect to see drastic results. Use any product you try for at least 3-4 weeks to notice any change. You have to be patient. For me, tea tree oil did wonders. And I am using it again now to tame the whiteheads on my chin due to my hormones during pregnancy. It has been helping quite a bit. I apply it in the morning and at night. I also use apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and witch hazel as toners. And follow up with coconut oil as a moisturizer. Always moisturize after using tea tree oil, and you should never have problems with dryness. Dryness can also be from over-using it. Apply small amounts and only twice daily. Less is more. You don't need to slather it on. You won't see results any faster, you'll just dry out your skin!

by darajanan on 08/09/2014 08:32
where do you buy tea tree oil?
just started
Reviewed on August 5, 2014

just started using this with a bit of moisturiser as im scared it it will be too strong to use neat? has anyone used it neat?? how long before results

Too drying
Reviewed on June 22, 2014

Dries out spots but also dries out skin horribly too.

by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 17:41
If your skin is drying out it is because you're applying to much or not moisturizing afterwards, or a combination of both. I had this problem too and I applied way less (less is more) and I moisturized with coconut oil afterwards and never had a drying problem.
love love love!!!
Reviewed on June 14, 2014

I had tried everything... Epiduo, bpo, clindamycin, differin, you name it. Everything seemed to take too much time and didn't help much to prevent. I wanted to switch over to something more natural and decided to try to add this into my regimen.

It's amazing. Literally once you get over the gross herbal smell (which had grown on me!) You'll start to love the tingly sensation on your face of killing off acne and preventing new ones.

My regimen: add ONE DROP to moisturizer AM and PM. If I'm feeling a break out coming on from my menstrual cycle then I'll add two or three drops AND/OR spot treat using a qtip. It literally reduces the size of a full fledged red angry pimple by 50% next morning. In less than 3 days that pimple will be gone. Never had any medicine ever work this great!!!!!

Really the only thing is the smell. I like it but I guess it can get to some people. The smell wears off later.

Highly recommended.

Not for me
Reviewed on May 16, 2014

I tried using 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil (TTO) from NOW foods to control my 7-years ongoing mild acne problem. I generally only had acne on my right cheek and would rarely break out anywhere else (except maybe right jaw line as well). At the time I started using TTO, I had 3 problem pimples on my right cheek. Within a day or two it turned into 5. A week later, 10. A month in now, I can count about 20 painful, red, hideous pimples on my face. Worst part is, it's no longer isolated to my right cheek. I have pimples on my forehead, left cheek, nose, chin, everywhere!

Some extra information: I started off by pouring a little TTO onto a cotton swab and then applying the oil all over my face (nondiluted) after every shower. I would then leave it on the entire night. Since my breakouts only got progressively worse, I thought maybe that was too much concentration and area, so a couple weeks in, I started diluting it and using it as spot treatment only (dipping a Q-tip first in water, then TTO). I notice that every single small pimple I try to spot treat turns into a papule, then a pustule, then eventually a nodule. TTO has definitely making my acne worse, the worst I have ever seen it.

I will discontinue use of it and see if my face gets any better.

by ambernicole897 on 06/23/2014 10:04
Hi! I have recently experienced this same thing! I started TTO for the same reasons, with very very mild acne. After three days of spot treating my face with 10% TTO, my entire face has erupted. I am a month out fromnusing TTO, and my skin still looks just as bad. The nodules and pustules will not clear no matter what I do! Went to my dermatologist, and she is having me use a gentle cleanser along with Aczone topical cream. I am also taking an oral antibiotic. I have been on this regimen for three weeks with not much luck. How is your face doing? What have you used since stopping TTO? Is anything working?? Thanks!!
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Just saying - acne like this is probably caused by something really specific like using your cellphone on a specific side of your face, or sleeping on your side, or driving and the sun hits that side. Sleeping face up should help a lot !! Or using speakerphone or using a hat : )
by Iii on 07/30/2014 19:13
Great for very oily and sensitive skin
Reviewed on April 8, 2014

I'm currently using Desert Essence brand -Kinder to Skin Australian Tea Tree oil. This one is for sensitive skin; it comes in a bigger bottle for $8.49 @ Whole Foods market. I'd say this is the best organic product that ever worked on my acne. Nothing is completely perfect but this is good enough to treat acne and skin naturally. There's been improvement ever since I started using it. I also use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean face wash and the Oil control lotion. Better than benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv, Burt's Bees, Neutrogena...I just couldn't believe Proactiv seems popular but it's no different that other over the counter medication. It has Salilyic acid just like the other ones which never worked on my acne. No effect at all. It's a waste of money to buy a product with the same ingredient when you can buy another one for a lesser price at any store.

But Australian Tea Tree oil really woks if you use it the right way. I don't dilute mine with water but I probably should since it can be a bit stingy but it conditions my skin and dries up the acne. Eating healthy and not being too stressed will probably help too.