Overall rating: 3.8 / 5

Recommended by 65% of visitors

Average price: $80.35

Most helpful review

By Drew, FL on 12/06/2009

Please for the love of god don't start with anything higher than 12.5%. One bottle of the 12.5% will last you 4-5 peels. Spread them out about 2-3 weeks apart, no sooner. Understand that it isn't an instant cure. You're putting acid on your face, so your skin has to regrow and all that. I didn't really notice results until my 3rd peel (of the 12.5). In my opinion (been an acne sufferer for years, now just deal with scars and occasional blackheads), tca peels are a LONG TERM treatment. You dont just buy a bottle, put some on, and expect results. I plan on doing several peels over the next year. You have to think long term if you are looking for dramatic results. You can speed this up by going higher %, but youll have the flaking, peeling, horrible downtime that people talk about. I have a job so I can't hide for 3 days at a time. With 12.5, you dont get this, but it obviously takes more treatments to get the desired results..

Pros:
  • It does even out your skin, period. Its an acid, its not like there's much room for it to not work. Over time, will reduce scarring, period.
Cons:
  • Slight down time (for higher concentrations) and the possibility of not following the instructions and messing your face up. Can't be in the sun for 2-3 days after for risk of serious burning. (they aren't kidding about this, even @ 12.5%

389 out of 653 people found this review helpful

Trichloroacetic Acid.

Member reviews

By on

i paid a plastic surgeon the procedure was extremely painful and def not worth the money!! my skin tone has improved alot but the scars are still the same and now 4 weeks on my skin is still very sensitive and i'm not able to use my normal products to combat acne therefore i am getting more breakouts than before. my skin does not really look a great deal better. considering the pain and downtime i am very disappointed with the result

Pros

• more even skin tone

Cons

• very expensive for very little results! very painfull and severe peeling for about 1 week. left skin very sensitive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 1500

By on

PAY THE MONEY TO A TRAINED DERMATOLOGIST. IF YOU HAVE OCD TENDENCIES OR YOU WILL WIND UP WITH HIDEOUS PINKISH INDENTED SCARS/KELOIDS AND ONLY YOURSELF TO BLAME. PAYING THOUSANDS FOR PLASTIC SURGURY. TRICHLORACETIC ACID SHOULD NOT BE SOLD TO ANDONE BUT A DERMATOLOGIST FOR CHRIST SAKE!

Pros

• Tightness w/o darkness with a light cover

Cons

• Even that said,you are not a trained professional and the application process can be abused,viz. one can build a tolerance to pain and lose control and apply too much. Or for example, if you wait till the initial pain subsides and apply more it can
  • very light
  • for about a week
  • $ 24
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had really bad skin with brown spot, large pores, and scars marks from old acne. I use the EZPEEL (19% TCA with boosters) from Anais Skin Care. I order it for very inexpensive on their website. I use it 3 times and the results were dramatic. I love this products! It changed my skin to the best. all my brown spots are gone, my pores are much smaller and my skin is even.

Pros

• Got rid of brown spots, large pores and blotchy skin.

Cons

• My skin felt tight for a few days then was peeling off..
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i think lactic acid over a period of a couple months is much better than the tca peel...i did a 12.5%. It did almost nothing for me, but make my acne a bit worse and got rid of my brand new red marks.

Pros

• Got rid of brand new redmarks like a day or two old.

Cons

• didnt really do much for old red marks :(
  • made acne a little worse beacause al the exfoliation at once and u can't put any acne products on ur face for a week after u use it
  • toooo much downtime
  • moderate
  • inconsistently
  • $ 22

By on

please do not use this product i woulde recommend laser co2 resurfacing i found this the best

Pros

• non it is a terible product if purchased online it should always be done at a clinic !!!!!!!!!!

Cons

• scared my skin for several weeks looked likea huge birthmark over the whole left side of my face. i would definatley never recommend it to anyone. it is a very dangerous product. it also made a dip in my skin and made my skin look very unhealthy
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 49
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I use 15% TCA which I bought online over a year ago. I've used it only a few times because it takes a few months too see the full result and I don't have many scars, just red marks. It DOES WORK 100%!! Just leave it on for a few minutes and you have to be patient with the results. Avoid getting acne cream on the area for the next few weeks and avoid rubbing the skin. It will work.

Pros

• Much stronger than glycolic and lactic acid. Penetrates the skin deeply.

Cons

• The first treatments can be very painful (burning).
  • light
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

Very happy with results.

I will never go out in the sun again w/o sunscreen after having two peels. My skin looks to nice to ruin it again!

You will be uncomfy for the first four days but worth it!

Pros

• I have red blotchy skin.
  • After the first two 12.5% peels Major differnece, even skin tones.

Cons

• first three days skin turned brown in spots and was very tight!
  • Looked like I had Plastic dirty skin!
  • Started to peel on day 4, messy
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 24

By on

A bonus. The peel is stronger than a Saly or a Glyco and very different. Do prepared for some down time, the stronger the peel the longer the down time. PLEASE do not use a strong % it's not neccesary. But after the initail cons which the worst of go away after @ a week...it's amazing how flawless the skin appears and feels! Fight the urge to pick or scrub or aggrevate and take very good care of your skin before & after. Wear sunscreen religiously, after a peel I think of myself as being allergic to the sun (because it is technically) and my good sunscreen is my best friend! This took 5 years off my appearance. LOVED IT!!! Cost I indicate reflects the cost of the TCA ($17) and also the $ amount of skincare products used to maintain and tend to my skins needs after the peel.

Pros

• I have done all types oh peels in the AHA family. Salicylic, Glycolic name astrength I have done it. The TCA peel is quite so different, the burn isn't very bad it is kind of numbing and my skin looks so even and new than it did pre-TCA.

Cons

• The down time. Okay this is way different than the AHA peels. It gets lobster red, dry and uncomfortably tight, then your skin turns brown in patches (I felt like I looked dirty) after that skin peels alot & rapidly.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 120
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

This is how I do my TCA peel:

I use Retin-A (0.025 creme) every day (start with every other day until you're used to the Retin-A. I apply copper serum first and then apply the retin-A) for 4-6 weeks, then stop 1 week prior to the peel (do not use AHA/BHAs either).

I do a 12.5% (start with 8%) TCA peel, 1 layer.

2 hours post-peel, apply Copper Serum (just a few drops) by [link removed]

do not use any AHA/BHA/retin-a products until skin is completely healed (1-2 weeks), then repeat.

My skin looks gorgeous now!~ I get my TCA peel from original skin care. I get the 25% and dilute it to 8% or 12.5%. I get my copper serum from [link removed]. I get my retin-a from canada ([link removed]) with a prescription from my doc.

Pros

• Evens skin tone, texture, reduces the appearance of pores, helps control breakouts, helps redice the appearance of shallow acne scars.

Cons

• Can have down time, depending on the % and layers used.
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I REALLY LIKED THE RESULTS MY SUN SPOTS GOT LIGHTER AND I'M PLEASED WITH THE OUTCOME ALTHOUGH IT MIGHT BE SCARY TO DO IT YOURSELF BECAUSE OF THE UNCERTAINTY BUT FOR ME IT WAS WORTHWHILE.

Pros

• IT'S A CHEAP PRODUCT THAT DELIVERS VERY GOOD RESULTS TO THE OVERALL TEXTURE OF THE SKIN I MAINLY DID IT FOR ACNE SCARS WHICH I DID SEE IMPROVED.

Cons

• THERE IS A DOWNTIME OF APPROXIMATELY A WEEK DEPENDING ON SKIN TYPE.
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.