Overall rating: 3.8 / 5

Recommended by 65% of visitors

Average price: $80.35

Most helpful review

By Drew, FL on 12/06/2009

Please for the love of god don't start with anything higher than 12.5%. One bottle of the 12.5% will last you 4-5 peels. Spread them out about 2-3 weeks apart, no sooner. Understand that it isn't an instant cure. You're putting acid on your face, so your skin has to regrow and all that. I didn't really notice results until my 3rd peel (of the 12.5). In my opinion (been an acne sufferer for years, now just deal with scars and occasional blackheads), tca peels are a LONG TERM treatment. You dont just buy a bottle, put some on, and expect results. I plan on doing several peels over the next year. You have to think long term if you are looking for dramatic results. You can speed this up by going higher %, but youll have the flaking, peeling, horrible downtime that people talk about. I have a job so I can't hide for 3 days at a time. With 12.5, you dont get this, but it obviously takes more treatments to get the desired results..

Pros:
  • It does even out your skin, period. Its an acid, its not like there's much room for it to not work. Over time, will reduce scarring, period.
Cons:
  • Slight down time (for higher concentrations) and the possibility of not following the instructions and messing your face up. Can't be in the sun for 2-3 days after for risk of serious burning. (they aren't kidding about this, even @ 12.5%

389 out of 653 people found this review helpful

Trichloroacetic Acid.

Member reviews

By on

well i used this to help with my scarring and let me just say i do like it and plan on doing it again but AVOID USING NEOSPORIN!!!!!! after treatment it broke me out like crazy!! my skin had cleared up and everything was good until i put neosporin on my face.. i dont think it was the peel because i use other typer of chemical peels and i never breaks me out this second time i will be using aquaphor healing ointment as a post peel treatment. and i didnt actually start peeling til day 5 and completley peeled by day 9. i did see a reduction in my freckles and some scars but i dont think i will see a more refined result til my second peel. in which i will update

Pros

• helps with freckles and scars
  • makes skin baby soft

Cons

• burns
  • the peeling process yuk
  • time off work
  • for about a week
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I was given a 7% auto-neutralizing peel at a local doctor's office (more than strong enough and I'm a guy with II-III level acne that was cleared with doxy). The results were very good compared to the three microderms I got at the same office - and each of those was also $100! Def worth a shot and so much cheaper than lasers! Results can still be seen a year later!

Pros

• Amazing value, results in only a few weeks, minimal downtime and cost

Cons

• Very gross feeling when it is being applied, you look like you have plastic wrap on your face for a few days
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • $ 100
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

At first, I was hesitant of putting chemicals on my face. But I've tried everything from proactive to BP creams, to putting olive oil on my face to clay masks, from milk baths to getting more sleep, running to bikram, and almost got on the accutane (yeah I know, I've spent HUNDREDs already). But after seeing multiple videos online about MUAC TCA peel, I thought maybe I should try it (I'm desperate at this point) since it's cheap and before putting myself on a medication that causes birth defects (Accutane).

I bought the 12.5% since it was the recommended concentration for acneic skin. I was extremely surprised of the results. On the 1st day (12/2/2011) of applying it then several hours later of having neosporin on my face (it actually didn't hurt but I put it on to keep my face from drying out) and after washing it off, i could see the results already!! By the 5th day (12/6/2011), I started to see the flaking that people were talking about but I'm still so happy about the results. I'm quite satisfied with my skin right now and looking forward to doing the next session after the recommended two weeks. I was thinking that maybe I should up my concentration to 15%. But I feel bad about buying another one since my bottle is still pretty filled.

Pros

• Instant results.
  • MUAC TCA peel is VERY cheap (too bad I accidentally spilled half of it down the sink).
  • With the amount in the bottle, it's possible to have it last for the whole year or even more (if you do the 2 applications in a month)

Cons

• flakiness
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using the Gorgeous peel from I'm Fabulous Cosmetics and I absolutely love this peel because it is safe, and there is no downtime. I got great results from it especially on my hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and acne scarring!

Pros

• I love at home tca peels because it is affordable and the results are amazing!

Cons

• Some of them have downtime.
  • severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 59

By on

I'm Asian with sensitive skin so the TCA peel that I used was the 12.5% and I only did one layer.

At first I could see some of my scars fade away a little but after all my dry skin flaked off, I had new pimples, a lot of them.

Then a few weeks later, I started getting cyst pimples which I never had before in my life and eventually I kept getting cyst pimples on the same areas.

This product works well for many but if you have sensitive skin like mines, please ask a professional its proper for you. Right now I drink Green Tea and it works amazing.

Pros

• Barely lightened scars

Cons

• Break out of new pimples
  • Cyst pimples which I never had till after this
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used hydroquinone for 3 months with ZERO results! I saw results in 2 weeks with this peel. I would repurchase, but it may not be necessary because 1/2 oz would last a lifetime if I'm only gonna use it only 3-4 times per year. I only spot treat for now. I just can't do my entire face without looking like a burn victim for 2 weeks. In the back of my mind, I fear that my skin would not heal properly and leave me with skin worse than what I have now... My supervisor asked if I was ok. He probably thought someone hit me in the eye.

Pros

• effective on hyperpigmentations from acne and age spots; faster results than skin lightening creams/lotions/hydroquinone.

Cons

• burns a bit; I can only use one every few months so skin heals properly; pigmentations get super dark and leathery for up to 2 weeks
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 25.75
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've used a 12.5% TCA solution for about 3 years and my skin has improved dramatically. Used twice per month, the peel helps prevent new acne, and lessens the appearance of scarring and fine lines. It's also great as a spot treatment for painful cysts and really speeds up healing, sometimes reducing swelling overnight. I highly recommend this peel, but start at a low percentage and work your way up. Using a small amount of emu oil immediately following a peel is very soothing to the skin and helps speed up peeling.

Pros

• Evens skin tone, dries acne, minimizes scars, and fine lines. When used carefully and correctly, this peel really produces results. I buy online and do the peels at home. It's inexpensive.

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 40
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I took accutane to eliminate my acne all together and was left with scarring.I started out with 12.5%. for 3 months, moved up to 20% for 6 months and now Im doing 30% at home with no problem. My skin looks great. Not perfect, but a far cry from where I started. I haddark spots, dents from cystic acne on my cheeks. Its definately worth the time vested. Take your time though. Start with a low %. Everyones skin is different and Ive had friends who couldnt take the 20%. If you have scars, its the least expensive option and if you start with a low percentage than you have nothing to lose. And sense it helps with wrinkles too, I happend to look 10 years younger as well. good luck

Pros

• Helps with ance dents, black spots and pores. Inexpensive and you can do at home. Paid about $80 for a whole year.

Cons

• 2 week downtime with each treatment. You have scabs all over your face. If you're not too vain, you can still go to work, it does nt hurt or anything. It takes numerous treatments depending on severity of problems. Can be dangerous if you dont follow directions.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a year
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I bought 15% from [link removed]. I've bought TCA from another site and it was much weaker...I think most sites online will try to sell you fake TCA or industrial grade, which is very dangerous. MUAC sells the real thing. I've used it four times now and one peel is the equivalent to four or five glycolic peels in terms of results. You don't see anything for a couple of weeks, then three to four weeks post-peel you see good results. It's a slow process, though, so please don't expect instantaneous results. TCA peel has helped with my rolling scars especially.

Pros

• Has helped with overall complexion. Looks less "rough." Helps fade hyperpigmentation.

Cons

• Very SLOW process, will take several treatments to see results.
  • Peel like crazy for several days.
  • for a few months
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

dont buy this peel unless you have at least a minimum of 1-2 weeks off from being outside work, or from public, otherwise the you may need to feel the need to peel the skin before it had completely healed

use under your own discretion

bottom line this peel ruined my skin because i have asian skin colour

Pros

• barely lightens scars

Cons

• scars that barely faded eventually come back still noticeable as before, irritates and burns skin, after peeling skin is refreshed but new breakouts form with more pimples leaving skin worse then before and new scars form
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 40
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.