Page 5 of Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 589 reviews

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Reviewed on November 28, 2012

this is my first review on this site, but figured this med is worth it. i used accutane a few times, with the last course being 8 yrs ago...i'm now 28. started to break out so wanted to nip it in the bud before it got worse. dr prescribed Tazorac...gave it 11 weeks, and with each week my face got worse and worse and worse...esp my chin. i know it works for some, but not me. i thought i was just going thru the "purging" pd, but i couldnt take it any more and after 2 months my derm told me to stop using it. now i'm dealing with all the marks this left on my face! I went from using conclear very rarley to cover the 1 or 2 zits I had, to now using it every day :( this med is awful. i would give this med a "zero", but 1 little happy face is the least you can rate. I'm now back to BP every night and trying zinc and B5 after reading some reviews on here.. i

Reviewed on October 29, 2012

the bottom line is this stuff works.

I had moderate to moderately severe acne. I had first surfaced in 8th grade when i was 13. It wasn't too bad until I hit my sophomore year. I had it spread out on forehead, neck, cheeks, chin, and back. I also had a lot of blackheads all over my nose.

For a while, the only treatment i used what over the counter topical medicines such as proactiv or clean and clear. None of them seemed to work and really tried out my skin. My junior year, my acne had gotten pretty bad, so my mom took me to a doctor and he prescribed tazorac cream 0.1 along with the antibiotic, doxycycline.

This was last December when i started. I would wake up take a shower to open up my pores. Right after the shower i would apply cetaphil moisturizer all over my face, directly followed by an application of tazorac all over my face (whether there was acne there or not). My face would feel very greasy right after this. I would also take one pill in the morning and one at night of the doxycycline. For the first couple of months, my face severly burned and itched. This sensation was lessened due to the moisturizer. I went through a "purging period," where I would have new pimples everyday all over my face. Thankfully, they would never stay too long. I expected this to happen, having been a reader of a lot of reviews, so I was not discouraged and continued to use this medication daily. After about 3 or 4 months, I noticed a severe decrease in acne. I stopped using the moisturizer at this time also because my skin had become used to the properties of tazorac and would not burn or itch anymore. It has been almost a year now and my face has never looked better in these last couple of years. There are usually one or two very small little zits but I dont mind them and they are barely noticeable. The only downside is that my blackheads are still present on my nose. Also, my face is always somewhat red, so i decided to start using sunscreen.

Reviewed on October 12, 2012

it worked...took some time...may be like 2 weeks to see results....i use it with bactrim-generic...i think tazorac(0.1%) is the drug that is really doing the magic....but since tazorac could take upto 12 weeks to see results...this combination would like kick start the results i guess....

before this combo, i tried minocycline(2x100mg)/day with benzaclin in the am, tretinoin/differin before bed.....i have oily skin with moderately severe cystic acne on face...there would be like couple of them on face, when they settle down, another 2/3 in a different area of face would slowly show-up, also severe scalp acne, aka folliculitis...if you are an athlete like me, you know what i am talking about..caused by all the sweat..anyways...this would leave bad scars with big dark spots...mino with all these topicals never worked for me...i would work only when i am taking them...then my derm would tell me reduce the mino doasge...then within next 2 days..the acne would come back...so this was really not working for a long term basis...i took them for like 4/5 years...lost patience like million times during these years...changed 4 derms....they all kept prescribing the same combo and asked me to be patient.....eventually i changed derm...the new doctor immediately changed to bactrim(generic..too long name to type-in..lol) with tazorac....it is working because i started lowering my dose...and the acne has not come back yet...which wasnt the case with mino and its combo topicals....big relief.....i am scarred to go into accutane-generic b'cos of all the article i read....esp. the joint pains...joint pain are a big NO NO for weight lifters...

bottom line, this is a good drug to try out before accutane....please ask doctor for tazorac....tazorac is like the topical accutane...it works the same way as accutane with almost no serious side effects other than drying of skin...which skin gets used to in like a month..and drying is good foe people with oily skin...i hope this

Reviewed on September 14, 2012

Product works great!! You have to be patient with it. Your face will get worst before it gets better you will not see results right away. I would wash with Cereve morning and night. after washing my face in the morning i will use the acanya gel on the acne followed by the cereve am moisturizer and aveeno spf 15 or 30 even tone (cereve am moisturizer has spf 30 in it as well) At night wash with the cereve use the pm cereve moisturizer and spot check with tazorac...my face looks 100% better even the dark spots cleared up..i still continue to use tazorac on like 2 or 3 pimples that i feel under my skin..but when its time to pop the pimples they come out very easy. My insurance covered the prescription for the most part and my dermatologist gave me a coupon for it. i recommend tazorac and acanya gel.

Reviewed on August 21, 2012

didn't work for me and even increased my breakouts

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

this product did not help me, if anything it made me break out even more. but the breakouts healed fast.. and then there would be another breakout.

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

it made my pimples kinda scab over, but it didnt prevent new ones. didnt work for me.

Reviewed on July 20, 2012

I've had acne since I was 12. I'm now 27 and for the last year have experienced hormonal breakouts and irritated, inflamed skin, almost rosacea-like with clogged pores(blackheads). After using this product at night combined with Aczone in the morning, my skin has improved significantly. I just saw my dermatologist for a 10 week followup and she said I should consider getting extractions/facials. My face looks 75% clearer. I can scratch my skin lightly with my fingernail and the blackheads come out.

Reviewed on July 6, 2012

Look, I've been wanting to write a review for this product for a while. I've been suffering from moderate acne for about 6 years (I'm 22) and have been through the ups and downs of MANY different products. I've researched extensively and I've seen 6 different dermatologists from 4 different facilities over the last 6 years. If you're a young person with moderate acne/oily skin, 90% of you should listen to me and do this:

For starters, use Cetaphil Daily Face Wash 2x a day.

Mornings - use either an antibiotic (clindamycin - topical worked great for me for 1 year) or Aczone 30 mins after washing your face.

Evening - Tazorac .1% gel (pea sized amount) 30 mins after shower. Wait another 30 mins and apply moisturizer as needed (meaning chin, around mouth, near nose, maybe even upper cheeks), but don't apply to areas that are naturally greasy.

Other useful and true tips:

Avoid greasy foods, excessive sweets, and cheese.

Change your pillow cases 2x a week (minimum).

After sweating (working out, sun bathing, etc) shower ASAP.

Most importantly, if you live in a sunny region, ENJOY THE SUN. So many derms advise against sun tanning because of skin damage; but trust me, if you have oily skin, the risk of burning, wrinkles, or even permanent scarring is minimal to nonexistent.

Derms hate the sun - Why?

Because it provides Vit. D, drys the skin, and blends blemishes for FREE!....They can't compete with that.

The risks associated with drugs are FAR WORSE than skin damage from the sun.

Case and point: Took minocycline and doxycyline on different occasions - both resulted in blue teeth/nails, migrains, and stomach pain.

And we all know the numerous detrimental side effects of Isotretinoin/Accutane.....

Eat healthy, keep your face clean, try topical products only (less systemic absorbtion of rx drugs), change pillow cases often (if you have oily skin), and enjoy the sun. Don't let derms fool you into believing th

by JB5 on 07/20/2014 02:01
Is there any reason behind waiting 30 minutes after washing your face before applying Aczone/Tazorac?
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Wow!!! Please stop giving people wrong advice about sun exposure. You will not see the effects of the sun until a couple yrs later. I would suggest you do some research ( from peer-reviewed journals not google) on sun damage and also speak to a dermatologist about its effect. If long-term sun expose was good for you, your skin wouldn't burn due to over-exposure, and also the hyperpigmentation that comes along with it especially for women/men of color. Something that can cause 3rd degree burns is not good for you. More than 15 mins in the sun is not needed. If you are going to be in the sun for more than 15 to 20 mins please protect your skin. You made a statement about oily skin, i have very oily skin and have sun damage. Also you are only 22 you can not see the long-term effects as yet. People pleaseeee listen to your dermatologist, and all the warnings about the dangers of long-term sun exposure ( including skin cancer).
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Reviewed on June 27, 2012

THIS STUFF WORKS. At first it's hell and seems as though it's not working but once you get to around 8 or 9 weeks everything will be worth it. Please continue to use this even after the initial breakout which occurs within the first 3 to 4 weeks. I've been using this for 13 weeks (12 weeks is the estimated amount of time for your face to be cleared) and my face went from cystic craziness to smooth and clear. I only get one or two pimples usually around my menstrual cycle. I still have red marks and ice pick scars but they are becoming less noticeable. My confidence is beginning to grow again, something I thought would never happen to me. I'm even getting noticed by guys again! Trust me when I say this works. Goodluck everyone.