Page 5 of Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 587 reviews

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Reviewed on October 12, 2012

it worked...took some time...may be like 2 weeks to see results....i use it with bactrim-generic...i think tazorac(0.1%) is the drug that is really doing the magic....but since tazorac could take upto 12 weeks to see results...this combination would like kick start the results i guess....

before this combo, i tried minocycline(2x100mg)/day with benzaclin in the am, tretinoin/differin before bed.....i have oily skin with moderately severe cystic acne on face...there would be like couple of them on face, when they settle down, another 2/3 in a different area of face would slowly show-up, also severe scalp acne, aka folliculitis...if you are an athlete like me, you know what i am talking about..caused by all the sweat..anyways...this would leave bad scars with big dark spots...mino with all these topicals never worked for me...i would work only when i am taking them...then my derm would tell me reduce the mino doasge...then within next 2 days..the acne would come back...so this was really not working for a long term basis...i took them for like 4/5 years...lost patience like million times during these years...changed 4 derms....they all kept prescribing the same combo and asked me to be patient.....eventually i changed derm...the new doctor immediately changed to bactrim(generic..too long name to type-in..lol) with tazorac....it is working because i started lowering my dose...and the acne has not come back yet...which wasnt the case with mino and its combo topicals....big relief.....i am scarred to go into accutane-generic b'cos of all the article i read....esp. the joint pains...joint pain are a big NO NO for weight lifters...

bottom line, this is a good drug to try out before accutane....please ask doctor for tazorac....tazorac is like the topical accutane...it works the same way as accutane with almost no serious side effects other than drying of skin...which skin gets used to in like a month..and drying is good foe people with oily skin...i hope this

Reviewed on September 14, 2012

Product works great!! You have to be patient with it. Your face will get worst before it gets better you will not see results right away. I would wash with Cereve morning and night. after washing my face in the morning i will use the acanya gel on the acne followed by the cereve am moisturizer and aveeno spf 15 or 30 even tone (cereve am moisturizer has spf 30 in it as well) At night wash with the cereve use the pm cereve moisturizer and spot check with tazorac...my face looks 100% better even the dark spots cleared up..i still continue to use tazorac on like 2 or 3 pimples that i feel under my skin..but when its time to pop the pimples they come out very easy. My insurance covered the prescription for the most part and my dermatologist gave me a coupon for it. i recommend tazorac and acanya gel.

Reviewed on August 21, 2012

didn't work for me and even increased my breakouts

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

this product did not help me, if anything it made me break out even more. but the breakouts healed fast.. and then there would be another breakout.

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

it made my pimples kinda scab over, but it didnt prevent new ones. didnt work for me.

Reviewed on July 20, 2012

I've had acne since I was 12. I'm now 27 and for the last year have experienced hormonal breakouts and irritated, inflamed skin, almost rosacea-like with clogged pores(blackheads). After using this product at night combined with Aczone in the morning, my skin has improved significantly. I just saw my dermatologist for a 10 week followup and she said I should consider getting extractions/facials. My face looks 75% clearer. I can scratch my skin lightly with my fingernail and the blackheads come out.

Reviewed on July 6, 2012

Look, I've been wanting to write a review for this product for a while. I've been suffering from moderate acne for about 6 years (I'm 22) and have been through the ups and downs of MANY different products. I've researched extensively and I've seen 6 different dermatologists from 4 different facilities over the last 6 years. If you're a young person with moderate acne/oily skin, 90% of you should listen to me and do this:

For starters, use Cetaphil Daily Face Wash 2x a day.

Mornings - use either an antibiotic (clindamycin - topical worked great for me for 1 year) or Aczone 30 mins after washing your face.

Evening - Tazorac .1% gel (pea sized amount) 30 mins after shower. Wait another 30 mins and apply moisturizer as needed (meaning chin, around mouth, near nose, maybe even upper cheeks), but don't apply to areas that are naturally greasy.

Other useful and true tips:

Avoid greasy foods, excessive sweets, and cheese.

Change your pillow cases 2x a week (minimum).

After sweating (working out, sun bathing, etc) shower ASAP.

Most importantly, if you live in a sunny region, ENJOY THE SUN. So many derms advise against sun tanning because of skin damage; but trust me, if you have oily skin, the risk of burning, wrinkles, or even permanent scarring is minimal to nonexistent.

Derms hate the sun - Why?

Because it provides Vit. D, drys the skin, and blends blemishes for FREE!....They can't compete with that.

The risks associated with drugs are FAR WORSE than skin damage from the sun.

Case and point: Took minocycline and doxycyline on different occasions - both resulted in blue teeth/nails, migrains, and stomach pain.

And we all know the numerous detrimental side effects of Isotretinoin/Accutane.....

Eat healthy, keep your face clean, try topical products only (less systemic absorbtion of rx drugs), change pillow cases often (if you have oily skin), and enjoy the sun. Don't let derms fool you into believing th

by JB5 on 07/20/2014 02:01
Is there any reason behind waiting 30 minutes after washing your face before applying Aczone/Tazorac?
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Wow!!! Please stop giving people wrong advice about sun exposure. You will not see the effects of the sun until a couple yrs later. I would suggest you do some research ( from peer-reviewed journals not google) on sun damage and also speak to a dermatologist about its effect. If long-term sun expose was good for you, your skin wouldn't burn due to over-exposure, and also the hyperpigmentation that comes along with it especially for women/men of color. Something that can cause 3rd degree burns is not good for you. More than 15 mins in the sun is not needed. If you are going to be in the sun for more than 15 to 20 mins please protect your skin. You made a statement about oily skin, i have very oily skin and have sun damage. Also you are only 22 you can not see the long-term effects as yet. People pleaseeee listen to your dermatologist, and all the warnings about the dangers of long-term sun exposure ( including skin cancer).
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Reviewed on June 27, 2012

THIS STUFF WORKS. At first it's hell and seems as though it's not working but once you get to around 8 or 9 weeks everything will be worth it. Please continue to use this even after the initial breakout which occurs within the first 3 to 4 weeks. I've been using this for 13 weeks (12 weeks is the estimated amount of time for your face to be cleared) and my face went from cystic craziness to smooth and clear. I only get one or two pimples usually around my menstrual cycle. I still have red marks and ice pick scars but they are becoming less noticeable. My confidence is beginning to grow again, something I thought would never happen to me. I'm even getting noticed by guys again! Trust me when I say this works. Goodluck everyone.

Reviewed on May 24, 2012

I had light acne since high school, and always dreamed of totally clear skin. At the age of 34, I finally decided to try Taz for my acne and hyperpigmentation, after having tried minocycline, clindamycin lotion, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone and salicylic acid products.

I learned that adjunctive products (cleansers and lotions/creams) make a big difference in how my skin reacts to Taz. I finally found a regimen that works for me after 3 months of trial and error. After washing my face, I apply clinda lotion and benzoyl peroxide lotion, then I use First Aid cream mixed in a 1:1 ratio with the Taz at night. I realized it made a huge difference once I started using a really moisturizing cream (not lotion, for my super oily skin). Otherwise my skin got really irritated from using Taz, and would start peeling off in sheets (really painful) or would not really have an effect- other than make my skin really oily. This was even after I waited the 30 minutes to apply it, or would use every 2-3 days. I always use lotion with sunscreen during the day. I also starting taking minocycline b/c the IB was so bad, I didn't even want to leave the house, but had to go to work. I had the worst acne of my life- so many whiteheads (hundreds!!) over parts of my face I never get acne like my forehead, jawline and chin.

Finally, my face has a nice glow to it. I still wear make up mostly for the areas of hyperpigmentation, which have gotten lighter, but I'm still pretty self-conscious. Now my skin peels a little bit every day or 2, but not the the degree where other people can notice. I use a light scrub to help exfoliate every few days. I'm mostly clear now, but still have a few whiteheads and blackheads here and there, esp during that time of the month. The pimples seem closer to the skin surface, and tend to heal quickly. I just wanted to share my experience b/c reading about how other peoples dealt with Taz really helped me get through the hard times. I hope this hel

Reviewed on May 18, 2012

This was the wrong medicine for me. I've battled acne from the age of 13. I'm now 55 and my derm thought this would help my breakouts. I began breaking out during week 5 and stayed with it because everything thing I read said it would get worse and to give it a good twelve weeks. After the twelveth week my face was still broke out and the pimples were inflamed and red. So much so that I hadn't experienced that kind of breakout in years. I went back to my derm and she told me to stop. I gave this a good try and believe me it was tough cause I so wanted it to work for me. Word of advice, if this does not work after twelve weeks please go back to your derm. So sadly disappointed!