Page 5 of Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 584 reviews

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

this product did not help me, if anything it made me break out even more. but the breakouts healed fast.. and then there would be another breakout.

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

it made my pimples kinda scab over, but it didnt prevent new ones. didnt work for me.

Reviewed on July 20, 2012

I've had acne since I was 12. I'm now 27 and for the last year have experienced hormonal breakouts and irritated, inflamed skin, almost rosacea-like with clogged pores(blackheads). After using this product at night combined with Aczone in the morning, my skin has improved significantly. I just saw my dermatologist for a 10 week followup and she said I should consider getting extractions/facials. My face looks 75% clearer. I can scratch my skin lightly with my fingernail and the blackheads come out.

Reviewed on July 6, 2012

Look, I've been wanting to write a review for this product for a while. I've been suffering from moderate acne for about 6 years (I'm 22) and have been through the ups and downs of MANY different products. I've researched extensively and I've seen 6 different dermatologists from 4 different facilities over the last 6 years. If you're a young person with moderate acne/oily skin, 90% of you should listen to me and do this:

For starters, use Cetaphil Daily Face Wash 2x a day.

Mornings - use either an antibiotic (clindamycin - topical worked great for me for 1 year) or Aczone 30 mins after washing your face.

Evening - Tazorac .1% gel (pea sized amount) 30 mins after shower. Wait another 30 mins and apply moisturizer as needed (meaning chin, around mouth, near nose, maybe even upper cheeks), but don't apply to areas that are naturally greasy.

Other useful and true tips:

Avoid greasy foods, excessive sweets, and cheese.

Change your pillow cases 2x a week (minimum).

After sweating (working out, sun bathing, etc) shower ASAP.

Most importantly, if you live in a sunny region, ENJOY THE SUN. So many derms advise against sun tanning because of skin damage; but trust me, if you have oily skin, the risk of burning, wrinkles, or even permanent scarring is minimal to nonexistent.

Derms hate the sun - Why?

Because it provides Vit. D, drys the skin, and blends blemishes for FREE!....They can't compete with that.

The risks associated with drugs are FAR WORSE than skin damage from the sun.

Case and point: Took minocycline and doxycyline on different occasions - both resulted in blue teeth/nails, migrains, and stomach pain.

And we all know the numerous detrimental side effects of Isotretinoin/Accutane.....

Eat healthy, keep your face clean, try topical products only (less systemic absorbtion of rx drugs), change pillow cases often (if you have oily skin), and enjoy the sun. Don't let derms fool you into believing th

by JB5 on 07/20/2014 02:01
Is there any reason behind waiting 30 minutes after washing your face before applying Aczone/Tazorac?
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Wow!!! Please stop giving people wrong advice about sun exposure. You will not see the effects of the sun until a couple yrs later. I would suggest you do some research ( from peer-reviewed journals not google) on sun damage and also speak to a dermatologist about its effect. If long-term sun expose was good for you, your skin wouldn't burn due to over-exposure, and also the hyperpigmentation that comes along with it especially for women/men of color. Something that can cause 3rd degree burns is not good for you. More than 15 mins in the sun is not needed. If you are going to be in the sun for more than 15 to 20 mins please protect your skin. You made a statement about oily skin, i have very oily skin and have sun damage. Also you are only 22 you can not see the long-term effects as yet. People pleaseeee listen to your dermatologist, and all the warnings about the dangers of long-term sun exposure ( including skin cancer).
by Kerry03 on 09/06/2014 08:35
Reviewed on June 27, 2012

THIS STUFF WORKS. At first it's hell and seems as though it's not working but once you get to around 8 or 9 weeks everything will be worth it. Please continue to use this even after the initial breakout which occurs within the first 3 to 4 weeks. I've been using this for 13 weeks (12 weeks is the estimated amount of time for your face to be cleared) and my face went from cystic craziness to smooth and clear. I only get one or two pimples usually around my menstrual cycle. I still have red marks and ice pick scars but they are becoming less noticeable. My confidence is beginning to grow again, something I thought would never happen to me. I'm even getting noticed by guys again! Trust me when I say this works. Goodluck everyone.

Reviewed on May 24, 2012

I had light acne since high school, and always dreamed of totally clear skin. At the age of 34, I finally decided to try Taz for my acne and hyperpigmentation, after having tried minocycline, clindamycin lotion, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone and salicylic acid products.

I learned that adjunctive products (cleansers and lotions/creams) make a big difference in how my skin reacts to Taz. I finally found a regimen that works for me after 3 months of trial and error. After washing my face, I apply clinda lotion and benzoyl peroxide lotion, then I use First Aid cream mixed in a 1:1 ratio with the Taz at night. I realized it made a huge difference once I started using a really moisturizing cream (not lotion, for my super oily skin). Otherwise my skin got really irritated from using Taz, and would start peeling off in sheets (really painful) or would not really have an effect- other than make my skin really oily. This was even after I waited the 30 minutes to apply it, or would use every 2-3 days. I always use lotion with sunscreen during the day. I also starting taking minocycline b/c the IB was so bad, I didn't even want to leave the house, but had to go to work. I had the worst acne of my life- so many whiteheads (hundreds!!) over parts of my face I never get acne like my forehead, jawline and chin.

Finally, my face has a nice glow to it. I still wear make up mostly for the areas of hyperpigmentation, which have gotten lighter, but I'm still pretty self-conscious. Now my skin peels a little bit every day or 2, but not the the degree where other people can notice. I use a light scrub to help exfoliate every few days. I'm mostly clear now, but still have a few whiteheads and blackheads here and there, esp during that time of the month. The pimples seem closer to the skin surface, and tend to heal quickly. I just wanted to share my experience b/c reading about how other peoples dealt with Taz really helped me get through the hard times. I hope this hel

Reviewed on May 18, 2012

This was the wrong medicine for me. I've battled acne from the age of 13. I'm now 55 and my derm thought this would help my breakouts. I began breaking out during week 5 and stayed with it because everything thing I read said it would get worse and to give it a good twelve weeks. After the twelveth week my face was still broke out and the pimples were inflamed and red. So much so that I hadn't experienced that kind of breakout in years. I went back to my derm and she told me to stop. I gave this a good try and believe me it was tough cause I so wanted it to work for me. Word of advice, if this does not work after twelve weeks please go back to your derm. So sadly disappointed!

Reviewed on May 7, 2012

I kept using this product for like 4 months. When I started using it, my skin was getting worse but I just thought that it was "purging", like my dermatologist had said it would. I was getting a lot of inflamed pimples and whiteheads, which I usually never get. I kept at it, but after 4 months, it couldn't be that my skin was purging. Maybe a month, maybe 2, but not 4!!!!!!!

As soon as I stopped using it, my skin got SO much better. Within 3 days, the whiteheads were gone and the red pimples were reducing in size and were less angry. Within a month, my skin was back to normal, which for me means maybe 2-3 active lesions on the chin/jawline. During the Tazorac nightmare, I had like 30 and all over my face!!

Try it if your dermatologist thinks it can help, but stop using it after 2 months if your skin doesn't get better!

Reviewed on May 4, 2012

I started using this product when I was 15 years old, I am now 24 and still use it every night. This is the only rx that has worked for me. I originally had horrible severe breakouts with very extreme hyperpigmentation all over my face. When I started using this rx I can remember my skin being very red, irritated and dry. After about 3-4 months I realized 90% of my acne and hyperpigmentation was gone. After 9 years of using it I still have 100% flawless skin. People have complimented my skin saying it's so clear and that it has a healthy glow to it. I would recommend that you stick with the medication for up to 4-5 months before giving up. The medication is also used for wrinkles so its a 2 in one!

Reviewed on April 20, 2012

I'm happy to have come across this review site because my dermatologist did not tell me anything about this "purge period" so I was freaking out that something was wrong as I started breaking out with cysts and white heads for no apparent reason!

So since I am purging, I cannot yet rate the product for its acne improvement as I've yet to see and appreciate these expected results. Will post again in a month.

If there is anyone with advice on how to get this at a better price vs +$450 USD, as my insurance will not cover it and it's very expensive even at the Club Stores (i.e. Sam's, Costco).