Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Recommended by 77% of visitors

Average price: $41.34

Most helpful review

By Will, Los Angeles on 10/29/2012

the bottom line is this stuff works. I had moderate to moderately severe acne. I had first surfaced in 8th grade when i was 13. It wasn't too bad until I hit my sophomore year. I had it spread out on forehead, neck, cheeks, chin, and back. I also had a lot of blackheads all over my nose. For a while, the only treatment i used what over the counter topical medicines such as proactiv or clean and clear. None of them seemed to work and really tried out my skin. My junior year, my acne had gotten pretty bad, so my mom took me to a doctor and he prescribed tazorac cream 0.1 along with the antibiotic, doxycycline. This was last December when i started. I would wake up take a shower to open up my pores. Right after the shower i would apply cetaphil moisturizer all over my face, directly followed by an application of tazorac all over my face (whether there was acne there or not). My face would feel very greasy right after this. I would also take one pill in the morning and one at night of the doxycycline. For the first couple of months, my face severly burned and itched. This sensation was lessened due to the moisturizer. I went through a "purging period," where I would have new pimples everyday all over my face. Thankfully, they would never stay too long. I expected this to happen, having been a reader of a lot of reviews, so I was not discouraged and continued to use this medication daily. After about 3 or 4 months, I noticed a severe decrease in acne. I stopped using the moisturizer at this time also because my skin had become used to the properties of tazorac and would not burn or itch anymore. It has been almost a year now and my face has never looked better in these last couple of years. There are usually one or two very small little zits but I dont mind them and they are barely noticeable. The only downside is that my blackheads are still present on my nose. Also, my face is always somewhat red, so i decided to start using sunscreen..

Pros:
  • Clears Skin
  • soft skin
Cons:
  • very sensitive to the sun
  • leaves minor scars
  • didnt do too much for blackheads
  • skin is somewhat oily

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Member reviews

By on

Product works great!! You have to be patient with it. Your face will get worst before it gets better you will not see results right away. I would wash with Cereve morning and night. after washing my face in the morning i will use the acanya gel on the acne followed by the cereve am moisturizer and aveeno spf 15 or 30 even tone (cereve am moisturizer has spf 30 in it as well) At night wash with the cereve use the pm cereve moisturizer and spot check with tazorac...my face looks 100% better even the dark spots cleared up..i still continue to use tazorac on like 2 or 3 pimples that i feel under my skin..but when its time to pop the pimples they come out very easy. My insurance covered the prescription for the most part and my dermatologist gave me a coupon for it. i recommend tazorac and acanya gel.

Pros

• Works great

Cons

• takes 3 months to see results
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

didn't work for me and even increased my breakouts

Pros

• in my case, none

Cons

• made my skin oily, increased the breakouts
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

this product did not help me, if anything it made me break out even more. but the breakouts healed fast.. and then there would be another breakout.

Pros

• pimples healed faster

Cons

• made me feel oily, didnt stop me from breaking out, expensive
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

it made my pimples kinda scab over, but it didnt prevent new ones. didnt work for me.

Pros

• stopped my acne from getting inflamed

Cons

• made me feel oily, irritated my skin and made it peeling and red. really expensive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've had acne since I was 12. I'm now 27 and for the last year have experienced hormonal breakouts and irritated, inflamed skin, almost rosacea-like with clogged pores(blackheads). After using this product at night combined with Aczone in the morning, my skin has improved significantly. I just saw my dermatologist for a 10 week followup and she said I should consider getting extractions/facials. My face looks 75% clearer. I can scratch my skin lightly with my fingernail and the blackheads come out.

Pros

• loosens blackheads

Cons

• does not actually clear blackheads or acne, you must extract the blackheads with pore strips, comedone extractors, or facials
  • does not keep pores clear without the aid of another product or facial, etc.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 50
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Look, I've been wanting to write a review for this product for a while. I've been suffering from moderate acne for about 6 years (I'm 22) and have been through the ups and downs of MANY different products. I've researched extensively and I've seen 6 different dermatologists from 4 different facilities over the last 6 years. If you're a young person with moderate acne/oily skin, 90% of you should listen to me and do this:

For starters, use Cetaphil Daily Face Wash 2x a day.

Mornings - use either an antibiotic (clindamycin - topical worked great for me for 1 year) or Aczone 30 mins after washing your face.

Evening - Tazorac .1% gel (pea sized amount) 30 mins after shower. Wait another 30 mins and apply moisturizer as needed (meaning chin, around mouth, near nose, maybe even upper cheeks), but don't apply to areas that are naturally greasy.

Other useful and true tips:

Avoid greasy foods, excessive sweets, and cheese.

Change your pillow cases 2x a week (minimum).

After sweating (working out, sun bathing, etc) shower ASAP.

Most importantly, if you live in a sunny region, ENJOY THE SUN. So many derms advise against sun tanning because of skin damage; but trust me, if you have oily skin, the risk of burning, wrinkles, or even permanent scarring is minimal to nonexistent.

Derms hate the sun - Why?

Because it provides Vit. D, drys the skin, and blends blemishes for FREE!....They can't compete with that.

The risks associated with drugs are FAR WORSE than skin damage from the sun.

Case and point: Took minocycline and doxycyline on different occasions - both resulted in blue teeth/nails, migrains, and stomach pain.

And we all know the numerous detrimental side effects of Isotretinoin/Accutane.....

Eat healthy, keep your face clean, try topical products only (less systemic absorbtion of rx drugs), change pillow cases often (if you have oily skin), and enjoy the sun. Don't let derms fool you into believing th

Pros

• Clears acne when combined w/ anti-inflammatory (i.e. antibiotic - topical or pill, or products like Aczone)

Cons

• Expensive
  • Potent - hence you must be very careful applying (tiny amount for whole face)
  • Doesn't do much for oilyness or blackheads
  • Sun sensitivity
  • Dryness, so moisturize (about 30 mins after applying) at night
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 100

By on

THIS STUFF WORKS. At first it's hell and seems as though it's not working but once you get to around 8 or 9 weeks everything will be worth it. Please continue to use this even after the initial breakout which occurs within the first 3 to 4 weeks. I've been using this for 13 weeks (12 weeks is the estimated amount of time for your face to be cleared) and my face went from cystic craziness to smooth and clear. I only get one or two pimples usually around my menstrual cycle. I still have red marks and ice pick scars but they are becoming less noticeable. My confidence is beginning to grow again, something I thought would never happen to me. I'm even getting noticed by guys again! Trust me when I say this works. Goodluck everyone.

Pros

• Clears acne
  • Smooths face
  • Reduces redness from scars

Cons

• Initial breakout
  • Takes a long time to see improvement
  • Peeling & itchiness if not used correctly
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had light acne since high school, and always dreamed of totally clear skin. At the age of 34, I finally decided to try Taz for my acne and hyperpigmentation, after having tried minocycline, clindamycin lotion, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone and salicylic acid products.

I learned that adjunctive products (cleansers and lotions/creams) make a big difference in how my skin reacts to Taz. I finally found a regimen that works for me after 3 months of trial and error. After washing my face, I apply clinda lotion and benzoyl peroxide lotion, then I use First Aid cream mixed in a 1:1 ratio with the Taz at night. I realized it made a huge difference once I started using a really moisturizing cream (not lotion, for my super oily skin). Otherwise my skin got really irritated from using Taz, and would start peeling off in sheets (really painful) or would not really have an effect- other than make my skin really oily. This was even after I waited the 30 minutes to apply it, or would use every 2-3 days. I always use lotion with sunscreen during the day. I also starting taking minocycline b/c the IB was so bad, I didn't even want to leave the house, but had to go to work. I had the worst acne of my life- so many whiteheads (hundreds!!) over parts of my face I never get acne like my forehead, jawline and chin.

Finally, my face has a nice glow to it. I still wear make up mostly for the areas of hyperpigmentation, which have gotten lighter, but I'm still pretty self-conscious. Now my skin peels a little bit every day or 2, but not the the degree where other people can notice. I use a light scrub to help exfoliate every few days. I'm mostly clear now, but still have a few whiteheads and blackheads here and there, esp during that time of the month. The pimples seem closer to the skin surface, and tend to heal quickly. I just wanted to share my experience b/c reading about how other peoples dealt with Taz really helped me get through the hard times. I hope this hel

Pros

• Mostly free of milia, whiteheads, and blackheads after 4 months
  • Skin renews itself quickly

Cons

• Took 4 months to work
  • Skin was horrible during the IB period (never had skin as bad as it was in my whole life)
  • Had to play with different products to finally get results
  • light
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This was the wrong medicine for me. I've battled acne from the age of 13. I'm now 55 and my derm thought this would help my breakouts. I began breaking out during week 5 and stayed with it because everything thing I read said it would get worse and to give it a good twelve weeks. After the twelveth week my face was still broke out and the pimples were inflamed and red. So much so that I hadn't experienced that kind of breakout in years. I went back to my derm and she told me to stop. I gave this a good try and believe me it was tough cause I so wanted it to work for me. Word of advice, if this does not work after twelve weeks please go back to your derm. So sadly disappointed!

Pros

• Good for oily skin
  • Smooth skin when not purging

Cons

• Redness
  • Severe Breakouts
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 35
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I kept using this product for like 4 months. When I started using it, my skin was getting worse but I just thought that it was "purging", like my dermatologist had said it would. I was getting a lot of inflamed pimples and whiteheads, which I usually never get. I kept at it, but after 4 months, it couldn't be that my skin was purging. Maybe a month, maybe 2, but not 4!!!!!!!

As soon as I stopped using it, my skin got SO much better. Within 3 days, the whiteheads were gone and the red pimples were reducing in size and were less angry. Within a month, my skin was back to normal, which for me means maybe 2-3 active lesions on the chin/jawline. During the Tazorac nightmare, I had like 30 and all over my face!!

Try it if your dermatologist thinks it can help, but stop using it after 2 months if your skin doesn't get better!

Pros

• Makes your skin renew itself SUPER quickly
  • Tightens your pores

Cons

• Caused many whiteheads, which I NEVER have
  • Made my skin super oily
  • Broke me out like crazy!!
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 25