Page 4 of Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 599 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Meh
Reviewed on September 21, 2013

DO NOT PLAY LASER TAG WITH TAZORAC ON! That is, of course, unless you would like a glowing blue face. You can look like an alien and combat acne at the same time. This is only under a black light so don't you worry.

Improvement after 4 days.
Reviewed on August 14, 2013

I just started using Tazorac .1% a few days ago and already see a noticeable difference in my skin. It's smoother, pores are tighter, and it looks younger. Some of the fine lines around my eyes have gotten a lot less noticeable and my skin just looks moist and more plump. I hear that Retin-A and Renova are also great wrinkle reducers. I may try them next but so far so good.

Finally!!!! Clear skin!!!
Reviewed on July 10, 2013

I have tried Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Oil Cleansing Method, Acne.org Regimen, Alpha Hydroxy... I could go on. I used each of these methods for a minimum of three months each. NOTHING has worked like Tazorac.

When I finally decided to see a dermatologist, she prescribed antibiotics (Amoxicillin 500mg twice a day for two weeks) and Tazorac (used every night). My nightly regimen was (1) dissolve makeup with 50:50 mix of castor & olive oil (2) wash oil off with pure castile soap (which I make myself from scratch) (3) apply thin layer of Tazorac.

My cystic acne is GONE! I usually have 5-6 erupt around my period and stick around for weeks, but since being on Tazorac, that doesnt happen anymore. My acne marks are fading, my skin is smoother. I now use a mineral foundation powder instead of the thick cream foundations I used to.

I would watch those Proactiv success stories on TV and sadly wonder if I'd ever have clear skin. Now I'm one of them! :) I pay $75 per tube becos I dont have insurance but one tube last 3-4 months which comes to $19-$25 a month = totally WORTH IT!

Didn't help the way I imagined it would
Reviewed on June 23, 2013

I started using Tazorac after experiencing no results with Differin. I struggle mainly with whiteheads and the occasional deep zit. When I was prescribed with Tazorac, I was so optimistic, mostly because my dermatologist acted as if it were a miracle product. After three full months of using Tazorac, though, I can say that it did not do any miracles (for my skin, at least). Granted, it got rid of a few whiteheads, but that's about it. If anything, it only left me with severe dryness, peeling, and redness. I ended Tazorac last March, and I am still dealing with these symptoms. To make things worse, my skin is still breaking out in whiteheads. I believe I just cannot handle this product.

Hopeful optimism?!
Reviewed on May 29, 2013

I am 45 and have been dealing with moderate to severe cystic acne since I was a teenager. :( I believe I have tried it all - OTC and prescription treatments. Accutane twice (once in my younger years and again last year at age 44), cleansers, topical ointments, antibiotics, and on and on. Doctor started me on Tazorac cream over two months ago. Acne definitely has gotten worse, but I have continued application I haven't experience any major problems with dryness or irritation. Doctor instructed me to NOT wash my face in the evening as I don't use makeup, apply CeraVe PM moisturizer and wait at least one hour before applying Tazorac. This is the first night I believe I see some improvement. I SOOOO want this to work.

Reviewed on May 15, 2013

I am currently on my 4th week (middle of 4th week) of my Taz (.1 cream) journey. Im not quite sure what I think of the medication just yet. I have rated it 3 stars and have indicated that I recommend it, but simply because I want to remain hopeful. I dont believe I have had a particularly large increase in acne, but I dont think Im seeing any major improvement either. I dont think I've gone through the purging period either. I've read that some people have experienced the purging period around the 5th-6th week (and sometimes later), so Im a little scared of what the next couple of weeks may bring. I am committed to stick with this product for the 12 weeks given that many posts Ive read encourage you to stick with it. I have used retin-A in the past and perhaps thats the reason that my skin has not reacted as badly (thus far) to this medication as other posts Ive read. I have not experienced heavy itchiness, redness, flakiness and Im wondering whether that's due to my skin's prior experience with retin-A. I am hoping that by week 6 I can see something I can rave about. My goal is to be able to walk out of my house sans makeup and feel totally comfortable doing so.

Reviewed on May 5, 2013

DONT USE THIS! omg worse product ever invented i normally used epiduo but that plus summer had my skin to oily so my derma prescribe this with my insurance cost about 70 dollars it did dry out my skin, did not help with acne, it actually caused large acne cysts on my face the one was under my eye and actually swelled my eye shut. I used for about 8 months no sign of improvement the entire time dont think i went one day without multiple pimples. ugh so disappointed

by KaterinaP on 12/07/2013 01:03
Is epiduo drying and how fast does it work to clear acne? Mine is not severe but I am currently on Taz and I have seen little improvement.
Reviewed on May 3, 2013

Honestly, this stuff is a miracle cream. I more so use it for fading acne marks and clearing clogged pores and it works extremely well. I've used peels and nothing works as well as this stuff. I use the .05% and still can't really tolerate it every night or it will make my skin a bit flaky, but that's only temporary and pros definitely outweigh the cons. It is pricy, the tube I used to buy was $40 with insurance but now they've made a smaller tube and it costs $20, lasts a long time though.

Reviewed on April 28, 2013

I am shocked to see the relatively low average rating for Tazorac, as this is the ONLY product that has helped my acne. I am 23 and have had moderate to severe acne since I was 12. I have tried the following products:

Over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide (from 2.5 to 10%)

Over-the-counter salicylic acid products

Prescription products:

Ortho tri-cyclen

Benzaclin

Retin-A (Tretinoin - highest strength available in USA)

Differin (Adapalene - highest strength available in USA)

Clindamycin

Doxycycline

Tetracycline

Tazorac is the ONLY product that has made a SIGNIFICANT improvement in my skin. Other products controlled it, but only Tazorac has really improved it. After about a month I noticed that I was no longer getting whiteheads or cysts. I also noticed that the overall quality of my skin improved and my scars were beginning to (slowly) fade. I am really surprised to see that it has low reviews but perhaps people are not waiting long enough to see an effect. In any case, if your dermatologist recommends it, I would strongly suggest this product.

Reviewed on April 26, 2013

I have had acne ever since the age of 13. I am not 21 years old! my skin is VERY oily. the first time i ever got prescribed something was my senior year of highschool and i was given Epiduo. It worked but i got used to it and suddenly stopped working. I went to my dermo a month ago and she gave me Tazorac cream for the night and cylndamycin phosphate for the morning. Thankfully i had NO side effects what so ever (peeling,redness,drying,flaking) I guess its because i have oily skin. I did get really bad breakouts, and i felt like the medication wasnt working. i still stuck in for the 4 week mark, because thats what the website said to do. and now im finally seeing improvement. I had mild acne and now i only ave one active breakout. Unfortunately because of the purging period, you will get more breakouts and more scars. but i have seen a significant amount of change in my scars as well.