Page 2 of Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 611 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Very drying!!!
Reviewed on January 13, 2016

I am an 18 year old female & I've had pretty moderate acne since I was about 13. I feel like I've tried so many things but I haven't gotten on an actual skincare regime until about a month and a half ago. I cleanse my face with Murad Clarifying Cleanser, tone with witch hazel in the morning (at night I use Mario Badescau glycolic acid toner) follow with aczone, and then apply CeraVe moisturizer. I am also on Solodyn. This combination of things has kept the acne at bay, but I still occasionally got breakouts and I have very bad hyper pigmentation that was not fading. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me this to use at night. Within three nights it managed to wreck complete havoc on my skin!! It is extremely dry, painful, and red. I can't cover it with makeup and I'm embarrassed to even leave the house. My skin has never felt this awful. I've heard good things about Taz, and I want to give it another shot once my face heals, however I will use a very very small amount next time. To anyone looking to use this, be careful with how much you use! A little goes a long way, DO NOT just slather it on your face, especially if you have dry skin to begin with like I did.

by Classic.amelia on 02/06/2016 19:03
I had the same expirience I am noes string coconut oil on my dry-ass, red face. I was so try I couldn't even move my face, it looked like I aged 50 years! My mother should have given my more instructions when she suggested it for me, she just said "just put it on there!!!!" And I got to much gel
by Sylsylly on 07/08/2016 16:41
Did you try .1 gel /cream or 0.05 gel /cream? I've tried the .1 gel and Lord have mercy the side effects were awful..skin burn, severe dryness..and I was using it for 6 months without any improvement. However, when I switched to 0.05, my skin cleared up within a good 2 weeks. I was very surprised. Try the 0.05 gel or cream if you haven't. My skin glows now ! The gel is for oily skin( it'll dry out your skin whereas the cream is for dry skin, it won't be as drying. Good luck!
Worse acne after 12 weeks
Reviewed on December 17, 2015

After 3 weeks of the medication, I experienced worse acne than I've ever had in my entire life (I'm currently 21, and I've had moderate-severe acne since age 17, but this was HORRENDOUS). Thought it was just an "acne purge"... but it lasted and worsened all the way up until week 12 of the medication. It was SO painful, itchy, and made me not want to leave the house. If you are still experiencing worse acne around like week 7-9, call your doctor... don't finish the course like I did. Now I'm going to try Spiro and Retin-A micro. Here's hoping this nightmare is soon over.

Tazorac is LIQUID GOLD for my skin......
Reviewed on November 24, 2015

I have been using Tazorac for about 2-3 years now and I absolutely love this stuff. I had tried retin A's in the past with laziness and didn't follow through it all until I got a hold of this stuff from my team of guru dermatologists. I was desperate for an acne cure after Proactiv so badly damaged my complexion with congested pores all over my face, countless cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, I had them all. I was extremely depressed about my skin. I felt, ugly, My skin was bumpy and horrible in true light that no amount of make up could cover it at all. I was embarrassed than I was when I was a teenager with pimples. This was adult acne at it's worst. My derm gave me Tazorac explaining to me that this will help clear up the congestion I had due to it's effects to speed up cell turnover essentially exfoliating skin making it radiant and smooth at the same time helping with wrinkles. I began using it at night mixed with my moisturizer in small pea sizes and I noticed the feel of my skin was getting smoother, more supple. The texture of my skin fully changed and began to clear up my congestion completely. My forehead has never been clear until I started using this magical stuff. Tazoraz is a god send to my acne skin. I have glowing, acne-free, wrinkle-free skin. When I get facials, estheticians always compliment my skin of which I never had before either. For stubborn acne, this really is the mother of all retin A's to go to.... what my derm says, "We are pulling out the big guns here"

by Bellamarie on 05/06/2016 17:39
What strength did you use and how much applied. I feel a pea size is not enough. Great review , I like tazorac over tretinoin to!
LOVE IT
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

I was on Differin for 6 weeks and still having breakouts reaaaally bad. The day i started using tazorac (8/10/15) i had two or three cyst-like pimples and a few other random bumps... No lie i used it that night and the next morning my face was 75% clearer. Now, i only have a couple tiny bumps that are not visible and I haven't had a single new breakout!! This is a winner!!!

Other Products being used: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit acne scrub at night and in the AM I alternate Cetaphil oil controlling foam wash and the neutrogena pink grapefruit acne foaming wash using my clarisonic, neitrogena toner, glycolic acid pad, & Onexton (Benzoyl Peroxide)

My skin is oily and i had already been using Differin for 6 weeks, so I didn't experience any dryness or peeling.

Ridiculous price. Disgraceful.
Reviewed on August 13, 2015

I just tried to get a script filled for my daughter. $500. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

by AmberCoil on 08/19/2015 16:33
CALL THE MANUFACTURER WHO MAKES IT (ALLERGAN) AND ASK FOR THE COUPON DEPARTMENT, 1-800-433-8871. THEY WILL ASK FOR YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS AND WILL EMAIL IT TO YOU. THE FIRST WILL COST $10.00, SECOND REFILL $2.00, AND LAST REFILL WILL BE ZERO. I JUST TRIED IT AND IT WORKED. I AM SO HAPPY NOW!!!!
by HowardVC on 09/23/2015 20:40
Not true Amber. It sounds like it's changed. You now ENROLL in a program that allows you to EARN points towards a coupon. Expensive.
by CenteredZone on 09/28/2015 14:23
Amber is correct. I used the number this weekend and got a coupon for which I only paid 10 dollars.
Anyone have any Tazorac???? Please!
Reviewed on August 11, 2015

Hey guys! My last sample of Tazorac is coming to an end :-( and unfortunately, I am uninsured until November-ish. Does any kind-hearted individual(s) have any Tazorac they are no longer using for sale?

by AmberCoil on 08/19/2015 16:33
by KinglyFerry on 09/11/2015 23:31
https://[link removed] Hi please use this website to buy you dont need a prescription. I just got my tretinoin from here because my dermatologist wont bup me up to the 0.01 % and ive been using that dose for two months and its working magic. He wants to keep me on the lowest dose. Hope that helps!
by HowardVC on 09/23/2015 20:40
Saved my skin
Reviewed on July 24, 2015

After accutane failed, I was miserable and desperate. I tried other topicals, two other anti biotics, and birth control. I am convinced that tazorac is what saved my face. The first two weeks were terrible. My skin was dry, hurt, and peeled under my makeup. Stick with it yall. I'm about a month in and I haven't broken out in three days, which is a record for me. I use a moisturizer twice a day which helps the dryness.

Used for 8 months
Reviewed on July 23, 2015

Before I was 16 I would only get acne on my forehead and pimples, but once my hormonal acne started my cheeks were covered in painful bumps. I am 19 now and thankfully with much clearer skin due to using clenziderm face wash by Obagi, the pmd system, the buffering lotion by mario badescu, and tazorac. I used the buffering lotion on my larger cystic breakouts and tazorac on my more red inflamed whiteheads. I don't think I experienced purging, but to be honest my skin was so bad that an extra five or even ten blemishes wouldn't have even phased me that much. I wore makeup all throughout high school and what tazorac did for me was reduce the size of the blemish (the height of the bump), which was a big deal to me because makeup can mask the color but it can't hide the texture of your skin. Now my general concern is just fading my discoloration, which I still use the pmd for. I still have an unopened 30 grams of tazorac but I am glad to say that I don't feel like I don't need it anymore so I am selling it on mercari. I wish my skin didn't peel for the sake of my makeup texture, but I am glad it did...I felt like a new person underneath lol

by LizzyA on 08/11/2015 18:38
Hi! I was wondering if you are still selling your Tazorac? I can't find it on Mercari
Taz is my bf
Reviewed on June 11, 2015

I love this stuff...its a miracle in a tube. I cant even describe how much. So a little background story... I am 30 years old now and probably got my first pimple in like 4th grade...so I became more diligent about washing my face twice a day with a bar soap for acne prone skin. My face got worse when I began middle school and no one wants any extra attention when you're already in the awkward dorky stage....so my mom took me to my pediatrician lol. He recommended Benzamycin topical gel which did wonders for my face. I religiously used my Benzamycin (and ruined lots of pillowcases and towels in the process) :(...combined with hormonal b.c. my face looked awesome throughout high school and college. But then (grrr) I started getting closed comedones (which are the devil btw) on my forehead and cheeks. l admit I do pick and I try not to but its hard. Anyway as soon as I would clear them, they would come back. Unfortunately my trusty Benzamycin was not working on this kind of adult? acne so I went to my dermatologist and was prescribed Differin. Differin helped a little bit but not completely. I used that for a year and went to a different derm. She introduced me to Tazorac gel and gave me an oral antibiotic to take once a day. I have been using the gel once a night paired with the oral antibiotic and the bumps are completely gone after 2.5 months. I did not experience a purging phase (which I am super thankful for) and no bad side effects. My skin is glowy and the very slight marks from picking have diminished. Now if I can only make a Tazorac spray for body breakouts....

Good, but not on its own.
Reviewed on June 8, 2015

Story- Im a 16yo girl and used to have severe acne on my forehead for a couple years and have constantly been switching prescribed medications because they either didnt work, or my skin adapted to them. I have been using acanya in the morning, tazorac at night, and cera ve face products for about 6 months. Im using two products so that my skin cannot adapt to it so quickly. My skin has been slowly clearing up all through the months ,sometimes getting really bad (never worse than my original problem) , and sometimes really good. Now I will get only a pimple or two a week.

Cons of Tazorac - oily but it was a night treatment so didnt matter, works slowly on its own, occasional severe redness and flaking.