Page 2 of Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 599 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Love this product.
Reviewed on March 7, 2015

I have always suffered from hormonal breakouts right around my cycle, often times causing cystic acne. It was never unbearable, just a nuisance. Then October 2014 I got the birth control implant, Nexplanon, inserted and I began breaking out much worse due to the hormone change. I eventually went to a dermatologist in November, who prescribed me Tazorac and an oral antibiotic. I only took the antibiotic for two days and stopped because it made me sick. The Tazorac did make me break out MUCH worse initially, about two weeks in, and my skin was incredibly red, dry, and peeling for probably 2 months. It was worse than I had ever broken out in my life. I had read that it takes up to 4 months for it to really work, so I kept with it. In January my derm. prescribed me a topical antibiotic to try instead of the oral antibiotic. Since then I've been cleansing with Cerave moisturizing cleanser in the AM, followed by the topical antibiotic and Cerave moisturizer. Then in the evening I use the same cleanser followed by the Tazorac cream. It's now been exactly 4 months and my skin is 100% clear, and I haven't had any breakouts in weeks. I no longer wear make up every day, which has NEVER happened. I do occasionally use Lush Mask of Magnaminty in place of my cleanser at night, which has been great for keeping my skin clear as well. For anyone worried about the initial breakouts with Tazorac, just stick with it and it WILL get better with time. I will continue using this product for the rest of my life.

Life Saver
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

I started using this medication a year ago after accutane for 5 months. I love this product because I can get a bump the night before and the next morning it will be gone. Pimples without the head would come to surface and then go away as well. I still use this medication with 3 other products .. I still prefer this medication over the others because it faster than the others but I use this medicine only at night now. it's Important to wear a moisturizer with sun protection .. to prevent scaring or bleach of the skin. I use panoxly 4% - 10% for my cleaners .. If left on too long can cause burning on the skin but is very helpful . but causes the face to dry out.. both products ... especially together..

Hoping it will get better..
Reviewed on February 2, 2015

I've been using tazorac for almost 2 weeks now and my skin has only gotten worse. My back is absolutely disgusting and covered with breakouts, when before treatment it was not even that noticeable. Also, my skin has been itchy and dry and flaky, too. My face has broken out more than usual, especially my forehead. I am really hoping that this "purge" will not last much longer and my acne will start to clear up soon! I had been on over three different prescription medications.

Love it
Reviewed on January 26, 2015

I have been using tazorac for almost two years now. I ended up getting acne out of nowhere at 21 it was moderate acne but it was the cystic painful kind all over my face. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed be tazorac .05% cream. I didnt have the initial purge people mention or the super awful red skin. My skin did become a little more sensitive but with more moisturizer it was perfectly fine. I saw results after 6 months my face was almost completely clear with one pimple left behind. Then my dermatologist had me using tazorac with aczone and i was also put on birth control but my face is amazing now. I never break out or have a pimple anymore!! My skin looks amazing but i still have some dark marks and my skin can get a dry and flaky so i have to exfoliate often. Overall this product is amazing and also prevents wrinkles so thats a huge plus i definitely recommend it.

Pretty Good Product
Reviewed on January 2, 2015

I've been on this product for about a month. I switched over to Tazorac from Atralin. I am using the Tazorac at night and taking Atralin (an antibiotic). Tazorac has shown minimal clearance, but I am hoping it will start to work. I never went through the "purging" phase, though. I will keep this updated!!

by glitznzits on 03/29/2015 20:01
Atralin in another retinoid (tretonin .05%), not an antibiotic. Maybe you meant amoxocillin?
A product that finally worked!
Reviewed on November 29, 2014

I have been using tazorac cream 0.1% for 18 days for papulopustular rosacea along with 200 mg. Doryx. I have been using a very small amount, about pea size, before bedtime. It made my skin extremely dry and flaky and, at night time, itchy. I did not use any moisturizer at all because moisturizers always make me break out but this would probably help if you apply moisturizer during the day. Also, I did not use foundation because of flakey & peeling skin. The first 11 days were the worst because of multiple breakouts (tiny pustules). In my case, this was the area under my nose and on my chin, which turned bright red after using it a few days. I guess this is the “purging” other reviewers were referring to. A word of warning, do not begin using tazorac if you have a wedding, a reunion, or other big social affair to go to. I would highly recommend taking time off from work or school if you can. I had new breakouts every day and went into seclusion because I did not want to leave the house. After 14 days, I noticed a lessening of redness and breakouts except for a few large cystic breakouts on my chin, which I have been using ice on 2-3 times a day, for 3 minutes at a time, to help with swelling. Things seem to be calming down a bit. It wasn’t easy sticking it out for the first 14 days but since I see improvement, I am hopeful tazorac is working its magic. Glad I hung in there!

didn't work for me
Reviewed on September 9, 2014

Tazorac was prescribed to me by my dermatologist back in June, and oh how I wish that this stuff never touched my face!! My dermatologist never warned me about the initial breakout, but I discovered that it was common through doing my own research about the medication. Well, the initial breakout lasted about two months and worsened everyday! My skin had became much worse and there were a couple days, I didn't want to leave the house because my skin was so horrific. One awful morning I woke up and my skin was bleeding and peeling. I immediately stopped taking the Tazorac and contacted my dermatologist. Tazorac may work wonders for some teenage acne but not for cystic adult acne. I have since than found a new dermatologist who has me on Aczone and Niacin. So far so good! My skin immediately cleared up(some) but enough improvement for me to feel confident again! If you have hormonal acne like I do chances are Tazorac won't work for you.

Finally a product that is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reviewed on August 13, 2014

Started: 7/31/14 Before I went on Tazorac I was using Atalin, which was working for me but after awhile it didn't do anything. So when I went to my appointment at the derm, she prescribe me Tazorac. At first I was skeptical because I have been on so many treatments for my acne. So just a little history, I am 21 years old, Male and started breaking out back in High School going into my junior year but didn't go to the derm until second semester of senior year. My doctor had diagnosis me with severe acne, so she put me on accutane, which was great clear it up fast. Then post-accutane she prescribe me Veltin, which was alright just greasy. I started breaking again in my second semester of college around February. So I back to the derm, she prescribes me Solodyn. which clear up my acne but after the second on it did not do a thing. So I go back again to the derm and tell her that this medication is not working is there anyway I can go back accutane. So I went on my second round of accutane which was awesome because my acne clear up faster than in the first round. So after i finished a couple months later I started breaking again in 2013 around the end of February. So I go back again and she prescribed me atalin, which did wonders for me for 2013. Then I went to a follow up appointment and she gave me aczone, which i am still using every morning and great product. That's my history a little long but am not including all the other medications tried which are OTC: Neutragena, Clean and Clear, Clearsil, Murad, Versa Foam Etc. Anyway so far I been using Tazorac for 13 days now I had my initial purge or skin turnover, which is healing up nice but it leaves behind dark marks. I want this product to work for me because I need to go back on Accutane once more. This is my last hope to getting clear skin. Ill keep you guys posted!!!!!!!!!!

Yay for Tazorac!
Reviewed on August 7, 2014

I was using Duac & Differin for a couple months (after 2nd round of Accutane my acne came back) and 6 months later I switched to Tazorac & so far so good. I like it a lot, it's been keeping acne under control. I put a pea sized amount (THAT IS IT- I normally use a lot but I listened to my doctor) & my skin is looking much better. Also, I put moisturizer on top just so my face doesn't get too dry and start to peel. The one thing I hate is when active acne starts to heal - you see the scars much better lol my fellow acne sufferers understand the struggle!!!

Reviewed on July 13, 2014

Sweet Jesus PLEASE AVOID this product. My derm never mentioned an initial purge. If she would have, I never would have agreed to use this. Think about it, what other time time are you told to use a medication that will make you look and feel horribly worse before it gets better? Good medications shouldn't have a "purging" period--at least certainly not to such an extent.

I should have stuck with my normal regimen. Yeah, I had some acne, but at least it was under control. This product blew my forehead up. It is the single most amount of acne I've ever had before. I've never even seen acne like this on my face. It's everywhere. It's so depressing. I'm stopping this immediately and going back to my old regimen. Looks like I'm going back to growing my hair out and hiding my forehead again. :(