Page 2 of Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 581 reviews

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Not sure! Need advice
Reviewed on November 25, 2013

I am a 20 year old female that has tried EVERY topical and oral prescription and over the counter for acne treatment. I have been prescribed Tazorac 0.1%. I have been on it for 6 weeks. During these 6 weeks I have experienced the common "purging" effect that Tazorac has on some. In theses 6 weeks my acne has gotten MUCH WORSE! I had moderate acne when I started now I have severe acne all over my face. Mainly on the sides of my chin and the hallows of my cheeks and my forehead. With lots of cysts and white heads and they are all inflamed that are not healing and only getting worse. And the scars are not healing. I am going to try to keep doing it for the recommended 12 weeks. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. This is my last hope before I take Accutane. Advice and others experiences with Tazorac would be amazing!

by alainax3 on 11/26/2013 05:18
I am at exactly the same place as you (this is my last try before accutane too!) I've almost completely given up hope on tazorac tho, I have seen little improvement in deep acne (like its supposed to treat) and no improvement in scarring. It also almost seems that I get more little breakouts since using this too, and I started around the same time as you, I've been using it for a little over 2 months. Hope this helps, good luck!
by arwimmer on 11/27/2013 01:30
Thanks! I have a blog going on my experience too. Good luck! Id love to hear you experience through your 12 weeks! :)
by KaterinaP on 12/07/2013 00:58
If your skin is really oily I would suggest taking a break using Taz every other night. If your skin is really red and dry then ask your derm for Taz 0.1 cream instead. I started out with 0.05 and I used it for two weeks and it stopped my cystic acne. Bc of this my derm decided to up my dose to the Taz .1 bc I have really oily skin. The first two times I used this it burnt my skin and dried it out really badly. I stopped using it from there on out and stuck with the 0.05 for two months (ended 2mths this past Wed). I just started Taz .1 cream instead of gel and it is working much better. Also I think the gel causes more problems bc it irritates the skin. Also moisturize with Cetaphil Spf oil controling bc it moisturizes well and is meant for acne prone skin. Hope this helps! Good luck!
by Andrewad on 12/30/2013 06:21
I was told by my doctor that that's all normal. She told me that the acne will get worse at first because your skin is pushing all the dirty and grime to the surface (hence the increase in acne) But with continious use your acne should clear up. Tazarotene isn't like normal over the counter acne products that just clear your pores, it cause your skin to shed faster and produce healthier clearer looking skin. It's also different from over the counter acne products because it takes continious use in order to work. My doctor told me the results will not be see in weeks, but in months, because it takes at least a month for one skin of skin to fully shed. That's what my doctor told me at least.
by arwimmer on 01/22/2014 05:37
How long have any of you been on it. I'm on week 15 and still not totally clear.
spot treat only!!
Reviewed on November 23, 2013

I have moderately severe acne, which had been (mostly) taken care of by some bactrim and spironolactone, but now that I'm in grad school and stressed, it's back.

I use tazorac sometimes to spot treat deep acne. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I spot treat for more than a few days I will get really ugly dry skin lines around where I put it on.

I recently made the mistake of putting it all over my chin and nose area (the gel seemed to be less harsh than the cream) and did that for a few days and yesterday my face was dry and peeling and red. I tried putting on some sensitive skin lotion and it BURNED like CRAZY I had to wash it off right away.

Back to very small area spot treatments for me...

Meh
Reviewed on September 21, 2013

DO NOT PLAY LASER TAG WITH TAZORAC ON! That is, of course, unless you would like a glowing blue face. You can look like an alien and combat acne at the same time. This is only under a black light so don't you worry.

Improvement after 4 days.
Reviewed on August 14, 2013

I just started using Tazorac .1% a few days ago and already see a noticeable difference in my skin. It's smoother, pores are tighter, and it looks younger. Some of the fine lines around my eyes have gotten a lot less noticeable and my skin just looks moist and more plump. I hear that Retin-A and Renova are also great wrinkle reducers. I may try them next but so far so good.

Finally!!!! Clear skin!!!
Reviewed on July 10, 2013

I have tried Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Oil Cleansing Method, Acne.org Regimen, Alpha Hydroxy... I could go on. I used each of these methods for a minimum of three months each. NOTHING has worked like Tazorac.

When I finally decided to see a dermatologist, she prescribed antibiotics (Amoxicillin 500mg twice a day for two weeks) and Tazorac (used every night). My nightly regimen was (1) dissolve makeup with 50:50 mix of castor & olive oil (2) wash oil off with pure castile soap (which I make myself from scratch) (3) apply thin layer of Tazorac.

My cystic acne is GONE! I usually have 5-6 erupt around my period and stick around for weeks, but since being on Tazorac, that doesnt happen anymore. My acne marks are fading, my skin is smoother. I now use a mineral foundation powder instead of the thick cream foundations I used to.

I would watch those Proactiv success stories on TV and sadly wonder if I'd ever have clear skin. Now I'm one of them! :) I pay $75 per tube becos I dont have insurance but one tube last 3-4 months which comes to $19-$25 a month = totally WORTH IT!

Didn't help the way I imagined it would
Reviewed on June 23, 2013

I started using Tazorac after experiencing no results with Differin. I struggle mainly with whiteheads and the occasional deep zit. When I was prescribed with Tazorac, I was so optimistic, mostly because my dermatologist acted as if it were a miracle product. After three full months of using Tazorac, though, I can say that it did not do any miracles (for my skin, at least). Granted, it got rid of a few whiteheads, but that's about it. If anything, it only left me with severe dryness, peeling, and redness. I ended Tazorac last March, and I am still dealing with these symptoms. To make things worse, my skin is still breaking out in whiteheads. I believe I just cannot handle this product.

Hopeful optimism?!
Reviewed on May 29, 2013

I am 45 and have been dealing with moderate to severe cystic acne since I was a teenager. :( I believe I have tried it all - OTC and prescription treatments. Accutane twice (once in my younger years and again last year at age 44), cleansers, topical ointments, antibiotics, and on and on. Doctor started me on Tazorac cream over two months ago. Acne definitely has gotten worse, but I have continued application I haven't experience any major problems with dryness or irritation. Doctor instructed me to NOT wash my face in the evening as I don't use makeup, apply CeraVe PM moisturizer and wait at least one hour before applying Tazorac. This is the first night I believe I see some improvement. I SOOOO want this to work.

Reviewed on May 15, 2013

I am currently on my 4th week (middle of 4th week) of my Taz (.1 cream) journey. Im not quite sure what I think of the medication just yet. I have rated it 3 stars and have indicated that I recommend it, but simply because I want to remain hopeful. I dont believe I have had a particularly large increase in acne, but I dont think Im seeing any major improvement either. I dont think I've gone through the purging period either. I've read that some people have experienced the purging period around the 5th-6th week (and sometimes later), so Im a little scared of what the next couple of weeks may bring. I am committed to stick with this product for the 12 weeks given that many posts Ive read encourage you to stick with it. I have used retin-A in the past and perhaps thats the reason that my skin has not reacted as badly (thus far) to this medication as other posts Ive read. I have not experienced heavy itchiness, redness, flakiness and Im wondering whether that's due to my skin's prior experience with retin-A. I am hoping that by week 6 I can see something I can rave about. My goal is to be able to walk out of my house sans makeup and feel totally comfortable doing so.

Reviewed on May 5, 2013

DONT USE THIS! omg worse product ever invented i normally used epiduo but that plus summer had my skin to oily so my derma prescribe this with my insurance cost about 70 dollars it did dry out my skin, did not help with acne, it actually caused large acne cysts on my face the one was under my eye and actually swelled my eye shut. I used for about 8 months no sign of improvement the entire time dont think i went one day without multiple pimples. ugh so disappointed

by KaterinaP on 12/07/2013 01:03
Is epiduo drying and how fast does it work to clear acne? Mine is not severe but I am currently on Taz and I have seen little improvement.
Reviewed on May 3, 2013

Honestly, this stuff is a miracle cream. I more so use it for fading acne marks and clearing clogged pores and it works extremely well. I've used peels and nothing works as well as this stuff. I use the .05% and still can't really tolerate it every night or it will make my skin a bit flaky, but that's only temporary and pros definitely outweigh the cons. It is pricy, the tube I used to buy was $40 with insurance but now they've made a smaller tube and it costs $20, lasts a long time though.