Page 2 of Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 575 reviews

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Hopeful optimism?!
Reviewed on May 29, 2013

I am 45 and have been dealing with moderate to severe cystic acne since I was a teenager. :( I believe I have tried it all - OTC and prescription treatments. Accutane twice (once in my younger years and again last year at age 44), cleansers, topical ointments, antibiotics, and on and on. Doctor started me on Tazorac cream over two months ago. Acne definitely has gotten worse, but I have continued application I haven't experience any major problems with dryness or irritation. Doctor instructed me to NOT wash my face in the evening as I don't use makeup, apply CeraVe PM moisturizer and wait at least one hour before applying Tazorac. This is the first night I believe I see some improvement. I SOOOO want this to work.

Reviewed on May 24, 2013

I've been using Tazorac for more than a year now (15 months, to be exact), and have had tremendous results. It's really cleared up my cystic acne. You've got to be very careful with dryness with this medication, however. Use it at night, and take breaks until your skin gets used to it. Wash face with a gentle, pH balanced cleanser such as CeraVe. Moisturize. I've used CeraVe lotion, cream, and PM moisturizer. I like all 3, and you should pick the one that best corresponds to your moisturizing needs. Wait 20 minutes or so, because damp skin increases irritation. Then, apply a pea-sized amount. It will take between 4 weeks to 3 months to see any change. I saw improvement around the 2 month mark. During winter, my skin regressed a bit because of dryness from the cold and wind. I started using heavier moisturizer during the day time. I've also added in a salicylic acid treatment in the mornings this spring. It seems to help with the breakouts that tazorac didn't addressed, but I haven't used it long enough to comment on its efficacy.

Reviewed on May 15, 2013

I am currently on my 4th week (middle of 4th week) of my Taz (.1 cream) journey. Im not quite sure what I think of the medication just yet. I have rated it 3 stars and have indicated that I recommend it, but simply because I want to remain hopeful. I dont believe I have had a particularly large increase in acne, but I dont think Im seeing any major improvement either. I dont think I've gone through the purging period either. I've read that some people have experienced the purging period around the 5th-6th week (and sometimes later), so Im a little scared of what the next couple of weeks may bring. I am committed to stick with this product for the 12 weeks given that many posts Ive read encourage you to stick with it. I have used retin-A in the past and perhaps thats the reason that my skin has not reacted as badly (thus far) to this medication as other posts Ive read. I have not experienced heavy itchiness, redness, flakiness and Im wondering whether that's due to my skin's prior experience with retin-A. I am hoping that by week 6 I can see something I can rave about. My goal is to be able to walk out of my house sans makeup and feel totally comfortable doing so.

Reviewed on May 5, 2013

DONT USE THIS! omg worse product ever invented i normally used epiduo but that plus summer had my skin to oily so my derma prescribe this with my insurance cost about 70 dollars it did dry out my skin, did not help with acne, it actually caused large acne cysts on my face the one was under my eye and actually swelled my eye shut. I used for about 8 months no sign of improvement the entire time dont think i went one day without multiple pimples. ugh so disappointed

Reviewed on May 3, 2013

Honestly, this stuff is a miracle cream. I more so use it for fading acne marks and clearing clogged pores and it works extremely well. I've used peels and nothing works as well as this stuff. I use the .05% and still can't really tolerate it every night or it will make my skin a bit flaky, but that's only temporary and pros definitely outweigh the cons. It is pricy, the tube I used to buy was $40 with insurance but now they've made a smaller tube and it costs $20, lasts a long time though.

Reviewed on April 28, 2013

I am shocked to see the relatively low average rating for Tazorac, as this is the ONLY product that has helped my acne. I am 23 and have had moderate to severe acne since I was 12. I have tried the following products:

Over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide (from 2.5 to 10%)

Over-the-counter salicylic acid products

Prescription products:

Ortho tri-cyclen

Benzaclin

Retin-A (Tretinoin - highest strength available in USA)

Differin (Adapalene - highest strength available in USA)

Clindamycin

Doxycycline

Tetracycline

Tazorac is the ONLY product that has made a SIGNIFICANT improvement in my skin. Other products controlled it, but only Tazorac has really improved it. After about a month I noticed that I was no longer getting whiteheads or cysts. I also noticed that the overall quality of my skin improved and my scars were beginning to (slowly) fade. I am really surprised to see that it has low reviews but perhaps people are not waiting long enough to see an effect. In any case, if your dermatologist recommends it, I would strongly suggest this product.

Reviewed on April 26, 2013

I have had acne ever since the age of 13. I am not 21 years old! my skin is VERY oily. the first time i ever got prescribed something was my senior year of highschool and i was given Epiduo. It worked but i got used to it and suddenly stopped working. I went to my dermo a month ago and she gave me Tazorac cream for the night and cylndamycin phosphate for the morning. Thankfully i had NO side effects what so ever (peeling,redness,drying,flaking) I guess its because i have oily skin. I did get really bad breakouts, and i felt like the medication wasnt working. i still stuck in for the 4 week mark, because thats what the website said to do. and now im finally seeing improvement. I had mild acne and now i only ave one active breakout. Unfortunately because of the purging period, you will get more breakouts and more scars. but i have seen a significant amount of change in my scars as well.

Reviewed on April 21, 2013

my son has severe acne, cystic, and blackheads,

we have been using both Tria Blue light as well as spot treating new pimples with the tazorac gel.

after 6 weeks i compared the before pics to now, and we are seeing improvement. DEFinitely take before pics in natural light, because he still has a lot of blemishes, so didn't think it was working, then i showed him before next to now pics so then he saw that indeed, it was improving.

Reviewed on April 9, 2013

The bottomline is this. This did NOT work for me. I am 27 and have been dealing with adult acne for the past few years. I have tried everything you can think of. I understand this is a 12 week course and after that you skin should be amazing. That was not the case for me. In fact my skin has never looked so bad. I have been on this medicine for about 14 weeks. I just stopped it, did my research and have been using tea tree oil. TRY THIS STUFF. my skin has cleared up so fast and it has only been a week of using it on my face. Tazorc brings everything out in your face, it doesn't do much to clear it up, or stop it. Tea tree oil cleans out your pores and kills acne.

Reviewed on March 26, 2013

I have used many Acne treatments over the years. This Tazarac, by far, is the best for my skin. I started using it June 2012 and after 9 months of use it has completely cleared up my problem. I get compliments ALL the time about how smooth & flawless it is! Before I had a lot of Acne scars and dark marks. This product used consistently with a non-irritating and salicylic cleanser will do the trick. To combat dryness, apply this product and wait about 45 mins & use a light moisturizer. The best!