Tazorotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Recommended by 77% of visitors

Average price: $41.34

Most helpful review

By Will, Los Angeles on 10/29/2012

the bottom line is this stuff works. I had moderate to moderately severe acne. I had first surfaced in 8th grade when i was 13. It wasn't too bad until I hit my sophomore year. I had it spread out on forehead, neck, cheeks, chin, and back. I also had a lot of blackheads all over my nose. For a while, the only treatment i used what over the counter topical medicines such as proactiv or clean and clear. None of them seemed to work and really tried out my skin. My junior year, my acne had gotten pretty bad, so my mom took me to a doctor and he prescribed tazorac cream 0.1 along with the antibiotic, doxycycline. This was last December when i started. I would wake up take a shower to open up my pores. Right after the shower i would apply cetaphil moisturizer all over my face, directly followed by an application of tazorac all over my face (whether there was acne there or not). My face would feel very greasy right after this. I would also take one pill in the morning and one at night of the doxycycline. For the first couple of months, my face severly burned and itched. This sensation was lessened due to the moisturizer. I went through a "purging period," where I would have new pimples everyday all over my face. Thankfully, they would never stay too long. I expected this to happen, having been a reader of a lot of reviews, so I was not discouraged and continued to use this medication daily. After about 3 or 4 months, I noticed a severe decrease in acne. I stopped using the moisturizer at this time also because my skin had become used to the properties of tazorac and would not burn or itch anymore. It has been almost a year now and my face has never looked better in these last couple of years. There are usually one or two very small little zits but I dont mind them and they are barely noticeable. The only downside is that my blackheads are still present on my nose. Also, my face is always somewhat red, so i decided to start using sunscreen..

Pros:
  • Clears Skin
  • soft skin
Cons:
  • very sensitive to the sun
  • leaves minor scars
  • didnt do too much for blackheads
  • skin is somewhat oily

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%)and Benzyl alcohol.

Inactives Ingredients:
Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Member reviews

“life changing”
By on

For me this helped me out a lot! I am also on the birthcontrol patch (ORTHOEVRA) which is very helpful with the hormonal glands.. It slows the production of oil in the pores which slows the clogging of them which is why you have acne. I'd suggest for you ladies to be on both at the same time and see the magic work. Of course your skin is going to peel but that's the point... Ifs pealing back the layers of bacteria infected skin to the new!

Pros

• skin will be clear

Cons

• peeling skin
  • itchy irretated skin
  • dryness
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Traded one condition for another”
By on

Yikes. This medication improved my acne a little bit but the flakiness was unbearable. The skin on my chin was literally coming off in sheets! It's like trading acne for snake skin.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Flaky skin
  • Itchy skin
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Did not work for me.”
By on

I am a 40 year old male. I got some of the redness and peeling some people complain about but it wasn't bad. A few weeks in I did start to notice the "purging" I was warned about. It wasn't terrible - but was noticeable in that I was breaking out more in areas that I didn't usually. I stuck with it for the full 12 weeks (14.5 actually) and it never got better. Clearly this product did not work for me. When I went back to just using BP I got better within days (funny that I was excited to be back where I started). I am glad I pushed through the full 12 weeks (because evidently it sometimes takes that long to work) but sadly it isn't for me. I suppose there is no way to find out if it will work for you without going the full 12 weeks. I just want to be a counter to the people saying "stick it out, it will work!" - because it might not.

Pros

• none for me

Cons

• made acne slightly worse
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU, USE IT!!!! STICK IT OUT AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT!”
By on

IT IS AMAZING. TRUST ME!! Give it time and it will work. My days of sadness are over! I had an initial breakout period, which made me look HORRIBLE for a few weeks. But I stuck it out, and it was worth it!! Not only did it make my face PERFECTLY CLEAR, but it also helped me understand the values of self worth and perseverance, and in turn made me a better person. I'm so happy about the results. Best decision of my life!

Btw, used 0.1% Gel

Pros

• Gets rid of it all.
  • Softer skin.
  • Removes scarring.

Cons

• Bad Initial Breakout
  • Burns for first couple of applications, but goes away.
  • Skin sensitivity
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not sure! Need advice”
By on

I am a 20 year old female that has tried EVERY topical and oral prescription and over the counter for acne treatment. I have been prescribed Tazorac 0.1%. I have been on it for 6 weeks. During these 6 weeks I have experienced the common "purging" effect that Tazorac has on some. In theses 6 weeks my acne has gotten MUCH WORSE! I had moderate acne when I started now I have severe acne all over my face. Mainly on the sides of my chin and the hallows of my cheeks and my forehead. With lots of cysts and white heads and they are all inflamed that are not healing and only getting worse. And the scars are not healing. I am going to try to keep doing it for the recommended 12 weeks. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. This is my last hope before I take Accutane. Advice and others experiences with Tazorac would be amazing!

Pros

• Not sure yet

Cons

• Made my monderate/light acne much worse
  • Extreamly drying
  • for about a month
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“spot treat only!!”
By on

I have moderately severe acne, which had been (mostly) taken care of by some bactrim and spironolactone, but now that I'm in grad school and stressed, it's back.

I use tazorac sometimes to spot treat deep acne. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I spot treat for more than a few days I will get really ugly dry skin lines around where I put it on.

I recently made the mistake of putting it all over my chin and nose area (the gel seemed to be less harsh than the cream) and did that for a few days and yesterday my face was dry and peeling and red. I tried putting on some sensitive skin lotion and it BURNED like CRAZY I had to wash it off right away.

Back to very small area spot treatments for me...

Pros

• helps deep acne

Cons

• dries out skin
  • leaves skin red
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Meh”
By on

DO NOT PLAY LASER TAG WITH TAZORAC ON! That is, of course, unless you would like a glowing blue face. You can look like an alien and combat acne at the same time. This is only under a black light so don't you worry.

Pros

• Cool blue face under black light
  • Gets rid of some whiteheads

Cons

• Dries skin out a lot
  • You become "blue face/smurf/Navi" after one game of laser tag
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Improvement after 4 days.”
By on

I just started using Tazorac .1% a few days ago and already see a noticeable difference in my skin. It's smoother, pores are tighter, and it looks younger. Some of the fine lines around my eyes have gotten a lot less noticeable and my skin just looks moist and more plump. I hear that Retin-A and Renova are also great wrinkle reducers. I may try them next but so far so good.

Pros

• smoother skin
  • tighter pores
  • reduced appearance of wrinkles & fine lines

Cons

• can sting if you don't wait the 10 minutes after washing skin to apply
  • makes skin a tiny bit flaky but you can wash it off
  • it didn't turn me into a supermodel ....yet
  • for about a week
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Finally!!!! Clear skin!!!”
By on

I have tried Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Oil Cleansing Method, Acne.org Regimen, Alpha Hydroxy... I could go on. I used each of these methods for a minimum of three months each. NOTHING has worked like Tazorac.

When I finally decided to see a dermatologist, she prescribed antibiotics (Amoxicillin 500mg twice a day for two weeks) and Tazorac (used every night). My nightly regimen was (1) dissolve makeup with 50:50 mix of castor & olive oil (2) wash oil off with pure castile soap (which I make myself from scratch) (3) apply thin layer of Tazorac.

My cystic acne is GONE! I usually have 5-6 erupt around my period and stick around for weeks, but since being on Tazorac, that doesnt happen anymore. My acne marks are fading, my skin is smoother. I now use a mineral foundation powder instead of the thick cream foundations I used to.

I would watch those Proactiv success stories on TV and sadly wonder if I'd ever have clear skin. Now I'm one of them! :) I pay $75 per tube becos I dont have insurance but one tube last 3-4 months which comes to $19-$25 a month = totally WORTH IT!

Pros

• Ease of use (apply nightly)
  • No irritation, burning or peeling
  • Clear gel formulation; dries quickly

Cons

• Can be very expensive without insurance or coupons
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Didn't help the way I imagined it would”
By on

I started using Tazorac after experiencing no results with Differin. I struggle mainly with whiteheads and the occasional deep zit. When I was prescribed with Tazorac, I was so optimistic, mostly because my dermatologist acted as if it were a miracle product. After three full months of using Tazorac, though, I can say that it did not do any miracles (for my skin, at least). Granted, it got rid of a few whiteheads, but that's about it. If anything, it only left me with severe dryness, peeling, and redness. I ended Tazorac last March, and I am still dealing with these symptoms. To make things worse, my skin is still breaking out in whiteheads. I believe I just cannot handle this product.

Pros

• Tightened Pores
  • Got rid of zits
  • Got rid of a FEW whiteheads

Cons

• Dries skin out/peeling/redness (which can be worse than acne itself)
  • Does not clear all acne
  • Doesn't work in the time frame it says it will
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.