Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 615 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Patience!! Honestly works!
Reviewed on January 3, 2017

I can't complain. For about two years I had a lot of skin colored (white heads) bumps surfacing my forehead. I started tazorac but wasn't patient and stopped. Once my dermo put me back on it she said to continue to use it since results may not occur until about 3 months. My skin was already used to benzoyl peroxide so I was able to apply it every night with not a lot of drying for 5 months straight (July- December). I can admit I noticed my skin to fluctuate, I honestly think it got slightly worse before it got better. As of now I don't have nearly as many bumps than I did before and I am so thankful. I have a few dark spots, slight discoloration but my skin is so much more clear. Much more confident in myself!

I was using Tazorac .05%

Keep your head up! :-)
Reviewed on December 7, 2016

The end of 2015 into 2016 i had very minor acne when i was on my period or stressed out for whatever reason. I used aveeno clear complexion face wash every night. By june of 2016 i began to breakout more then usual so i turned to proactiv. Proactiv was amazing for me! My skin was completely clear and healed all my scars. But by the end of august of 2016 i became immune to the Benzoyl peroxide and the other ingredients im the product. My face started breaking out so so so bad which forced me to call the derm. I drove almost an hour away because i was so upset. He prescribed me 200 mg of doxycyline hyclate, tazorac 0.05% & clindamycin phosphate gel 1.2%. I right away bought all the products (spending $140). I started doing the cream and the gel and the pill, the first 2-3 weeks were absolutely terrible! I broke out all over my face including places i have never gotten pimples before. After doing loads of research i learned that those first couple weeks is the purging stage and is the worst. Going into the 3-4 week i was so depressed and really down on myself. I sat there and cried to my dad because i hated myself so much. Im in my 6-7 week now and my skin is honestly doing so much better. My scars are fading, i barely have any bumps except on my jawline which is probably because of my hair. But if you are on tazorac and feel like you want to give up or its not working all i have to say is keep going! I was in the same position. I know how it feels to feel like everyones making fun of you or looking down on you. You are beautiful and keep your head up because it will get better! Tazorac will help you

by YoungGunB on 02/15/2017 17:37
I'm two weeks in and am definitely seeing my acne get worse. Holding out hope. I have a long few weeks ahead of me. Thank you for posting this. I am on the verge of crying to my mom about it, but reading this makes me want to push through!
NIGHTMARE CREAM
Reviewed on October 18, 2016

This stuff is horrifying.

It wrecked my skin after only two uses.

I dont know if I will ever recover and I can barely even function now because of this crap.

I used it for a small amount of pimples I got from not washing my face for awhile and it did the following:

Blotchiness

Itchiness

Crepe like skin bunching up like cellophane

Pores/pin pricks everywhere

Fine lines and wrinkles that look very abnormal

Dents and shallow marks of all sizes and shapes out of nowhere (more continue to come)

uneveness In color and in thickness of skin

Burning to the point it felt my face was used to put out a fire

Turned my porcelain skin to a reddish yellow mottled mess with texture issues galore

made me breaks out like nuts after a week or so had passed

made my skin sensitive as all hell

made my skin mushy and "mesh like" especially the forehead..it's like parts of my face are a partially deflated helium balloon, my skin no longer sits flat against my face

Made me depressed to the point that now I contemplate leaving this earth if my skin doesn't go back to its pre-tazorac state

...I am now in contact with others who have been damaged by similar retinoids..crazy enough their damage is similar to those who have been damaged by laser and chemical peels..i now have to visit the IPLaser damage and support forum thanks to only two tiny uses of this cream (.05)..I'm devastated

I hope for my own sake as well as the sake of others that I am able to update with news of fully healed skin with time..if anyone had similar reactions or is prescribed this, don't hesitate to contact me

WARNING: JUST Don't use this stuff unless you want to risk potentially permanently damaging your skin, if you think acne is bad, wait until the day comes where it feels and looks as if someone has transplanted your entire facial skin with someone else's...like that of an 80 year old man who has labored in the sun and the elements all his life..and your acne will be 1000 times more like to SCAR if you have a bad reaction to this cream..my advice..if you've got bad acne, go in on Accutane, and if you have good skin, don't try to make it better with something as harsh as this chemical is.

All its positive effects are temporary while its negative effects are seemingly permanent.

So really there's no reason for ANYONE to use this stuff, unless you want to risk your happiness and quality of life completely.

And even if you have good results..it's all fake..it gives the appearance of helping some people's skin..it does not ACTUALLY permanently improve your skin.

It's gilded dog poo as far as I'm concerned.

And as one of the 3 dermatologists I visited labeled it.."Paint Thinner"

by Michellexoxox on 12/07/2016 03:01
Thats because you used it for 2 days... It takes months for this product to actually take effect. And your also not supposed to you it was a spot treatment. It is supposed to be an all over treatment. Before you go around posting your "review" on a product you used twice, check the facts.
by BrokenPorEcelain on 12/07/2016 06:03
It's not because I only used it twice...no product should do lasting damage from only two uses...so keep damaging my face until hopefully the damage cancels out the damage you are saying??...yea...smart. It's been over 3 months and none of my reaction/damage has dissipated. I was told even by every derm I went to, to never put it on my face again. So how about YOU check your facts. Because it doesn't get any more real and authentic than personal experience..and that is what I'm sharing. The FACTS of MY situation from using this product. That's what a review IS. And come to find out that I am FAR from the only one dealing with this. No matter if it is used once, twice, for months, many have had similar, if not identical reactions. And I did put it on pretty much my entire face, also derm's also prescribe it as spot treatment too..so please, before YOU go around spitting moronic, ignorant, insulting BS to someone dealing with a nightmare, check not only the facts, but also your capacity as a human being.
Stick with it!
Reviewed on October 13, 2016

So I started tazorac .05% exactly 5 weeks ago. I had mostly mild/moderate acne localized to my chin and a little around my mouth, so probably hormonal even though I'm on birth control (ortho cyclen). My acne ranged from small tiny texture bumps to large cysts/inflamed pimples. I decided enough was enough and saw a derm who prescribed me tazorac .05% at night and aczone 7.5% in the morning. I am doing this regimen with cetaphil cleanser and ceraVe pm lotion. The first 2 weeks were SO awful my skin was unbelievably dry and peeling and breaking out. Around week 3-3.5 I noticed the breakouts were getting smaller and now at week 5 I have maybe 2 small active whiteheads and the rest of my chin is healing hyperpigmentation from the initial breakout, which I can easily cover with makeup. My face looks 90% clear at week 5! I saw my derm today who said my skin looks great and to keep the regimen up! My suggestion is I do believe tazorac will work for most people but stick with it and use a topical antibiotic in the morning. Definitely moisturize! Good luck :)

by YoungGunB on 02/15/2017 17:39
This gives me hope! Two weeks in and suffering through the purging phase. I would say my acne went from moderate to severe in two weeks. It might just look that way from the redness though... Hoping for miracles.
Stick with it
Reviewed on July 6, 2016

Currently on week 9 1/2 of Tazorac. 05 at night with Aczone 5% of morning and my skin is just now showing the big improvement I've been waiting for and my skin has never looked better since before puberty. Before last year I would get random zits here and there, but they would always clear up with Clearasil or some other over the counter spot treatment, but last summer I broke out horribly, and after almost a year of trying every OTC acne treatment out there, as well as Dermalogica, which is very expensive and didn't even work, I went to the dermatologist and was put on Taz and Aczone. Honestly I was about to give up about two weeks ago after reading about people seeing miracles after a month, and there I was 7 weeks in and still not improving, but I stuck with it after reading enough success stories, and finally I'm starting to see a huge improvement in my skin so I decided to share my story. Some things to keep in mind are that moisturizing and applying sunscreen are critical when on these products. Your skin will be a dry and burnt mess without. Without sunscreen my skin burned as soon as I stepped outside. Also be very gentle when washing your face, let the medicine to the work not the facewash. Over washing your face will further damage your skin and prolong treatment. Be patient, very, very patient. Some people see results in a month, others it's taken months, it really depends on your situation. But the wait is very much worth it.

by Taha on 10/14/2016 06:13
Can 15 year old teen use it ? And when can we , day or night??
by Michellexoxox on 12/07/2016 03:15
I would say talk to your derm first but its usually a nightime product for overnight
Probably made things worse
Reviewed on July 6, 2016

I used tazorac as a spot treatment (it was too powerful to use all over) for about a year and a half. I think I liked the idea of just zapping my zits away by drying them out, but I don't think it really made them heal any faster. If anything, I was noticing that the blemishes I used it on would be the most red and inflammed, and I would often get more breakouts in the the same areas that I was using the tazorac on. On a hunch, I decided to stop using tazorac. Sure enough, I stopped having multiple breakouts in concentrated areas and the new zits rarely became as problematic as the ones that I used tazorac for. I do know some people personally who use tazorac and they are almost clear, but for me, I honestly just think it upset my skin and made things worse.

Nope.
Reviewed on June 28, 2016

Only used it for 2 nights around 6 months ago. As soon as I woke up the next morning I had broken out like never before! I decided to give it another day and I developed around 3 unsurfaced pimples and many whiteheads. I didn't experience dryness or irritation although the pimples that came up were red. It surely left some skin discoloration but as of now my skin is looking great using Epiduo and taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3. This product was definitely NOT for me.

Amazing
Reviewed on June 17, 2016

My skin cleared up in 2 days using this. Here's what I do:

I remove all makeup from my face and neck using the red bioderma makeup remover. Then, I cleanse my skin with NeoStrata 2% glycolic acid foaming cleansing water. I'm not sure if this product is available in the USA, but I highly recommend this product. It is very, very gentle and effective. After drying my face, I apply a thin layer of Tazorac gel 0.1%.

I have been doing this for only 2 days and have seen major improvements. I had cystic acne all over my cheeks, tiny under the skin breakouts almost everywhere else and severe redness and discolouration... Not to mention deep scarring on my cheeks.

Tazorac has already nearly diminished every issue that my skin had. I paid about 65 dollars for a tube at the pharmacy in Canada. I noticed it made my skin very oily directly after applying it. I used the bioderma makeup remover and a cotton pad to remove the oil and have had no new breakouts.

I did not experience any irritation, but have read that many people will get dry or itchy skin. If your skin gets dry I would recommend using Tazorac every other night and using a cold pressed coconut oil every morning.

My skin is finally clear! Hooray!!!!

wow
Reviewed on May 23, 2016

i have been battling cystic acne for many years now and it is completely gone!! i've been using this stuff for 2 month with duac now, and all of my pimples have come to a halt. yes, my face is peeling like crazy, but that is a good thing! that means the dead skin cells and top layer is shedding off and my scars are less visible. My derm said the more i use it overtime, my acne scars will be gone and my face will be much smoother...it's ALREADY getting smoother after 2 weeks of using this product. highly recommend it!

Has it's pros and cons for acne
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

I use Tazorac Gel .1

Tazorac is a tricky product. I have been on Tazorac for over 2 years now and it's sometimes a love/hate relationship. I will say it is EXCELLENT at helping get rid of scaring and hyper pigmentation. HOWEVER, if you use too much of it you will regret it. If not used in just the right amount for your skin it will cause your skin to dry, crack, peel, turn red and unfortunately for me caused me to break out more because my skin was so irritated.

I have learned through trial and error that the best way for me to use Tazorac is to wash my face in the evening with VANICREAM, let dry, apply VANICREAM moisturizer, let dry, and then apply the smallest amount (less than a pea size) to the back of my hand. Then using my fingertips I dot the Tazorac on the problem areas of my face and smooth product out to the other areas. Avoid lip and eye areas.

It takes about 2-3 months for the skin to really get used to this product. When first using the product, my skin went through a very sunburned looking, dry and ugly PURGING period that was disheartening. However, I do believe my skin is better off with the product now. The key is to use it every day at night before bed and ONLY as directed. Don't be slack about using it because if you start and stop your face will hate you for it. An extra perk about this product is that it also helps with aging and sun spots.

I know I have said a lot of negative things about Tazorac but all in all it is a very good acne product when used correctly. It's just one of those things that takes time and a lot of patience to see results.