Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 596 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

Saved my skin
Reviewed on July 24, 2015

After accutane failed, I was miserable and desperate. I tried other topicals, two other anti biotics, and birth control. I am convinced that tazorac is what saved my face. The first two weeks were terrible. My skin was dry, hurt, and peeled under my makeup. Stick with it yall. I'm about a month in and I haven't broken out in three days, which is a record for me. I use a moisturizer twice a day which helps the dryness.

Used for 8 months
Reviewed on July 23, 2015

Before I was 16 I would only get acne on my forehead and pimples, but once my hormonal acne started my cheeks were covered in painful bumps. I am 19 now and thankfully with much clearer skin due to using clenziderm face wash by Obagi, the pmd system, the buffering lotion by mario badescu, and tazorac. I used the buffering lotion on my larger cystic breakouts and tazorac on my more red inflamed whiteheads. I don't think I experienced purging, but to be honest my skin was so bad that an extra five or even ten blemishes wouldn't have even phased me that much. I wore makeup all throughout high school and what tazorac did for me was reduce the size of the blemish (the height of the bump), which was a big deal to me because makeup can mask the color but it can't hide the texture of your skin. Now my general concern is just fading my discoloration, which I still use the pmd for. I still have an unopened 30 grams of tazorac but I am glad to say that I don't feel like I don't need it anymore so I am selling it on mercari. I wish my skin didn't peel for the sake of my makeup texture, but I am glad it did...I felt like a new person underneath lol

Taz is my bf
Reviewed on June 11, 2015

I love this stuff...its a miracle in a tube. I cant even describe how much. So a little background story... I am 30 years old now and probably got my first pimple in like 4th grade...so I became more diligent about washing my face twice a day with a bar soap for acne prone skin. My face got worse when I began middle school and no one wants any extra attention when you're already in the awkward dorky stage....so my mom took me to my pediatrician lol. He recommended Benzamycin topical gel which did wonders for my face. I religiously used my Benzamycin (and ruined lots of pillowcases and towels in the process) :(...combined with hormonal b.c. my face looked awesome throughout high school and college. But then (grrr) I started getting closed comedones (which are the devil btw) on my forehead and cheeks. l admit I do pick and I try not to but its hard. Anyway as soon as I would clear them, they would come back. Unfortunately my trusty Benzamycin was not working on this kind of adult? acne so I went to my dermatologist and was prescribed Differin. Differin helped a little bit but not completely. I used that for a year and went to a different derm. She introduced me to Tazorac gel and gave me an oral antibiotic to take once a day. I have been using the gel once a night paired with the oral antibiotic and the bumps are completely gone after 2.5 months. I did not experience a purging phase (which I am super thankful for) and no bad side effects. My skin is glowy and the very slight marks from picking have diminished. Now if I can only make a Tazorac spray for body breakouts....

Good, but not on its own.
Reviewed on June 8, 2015

Story- Im a 16yo girl and used to have severe acne on my forehead for a couple years and have constantly been switching prescribed medications because they either didnt work, or my skin adapted to them. I have been using acanya in the morning, tazorac at night, and cera ve face products for about 6 months. Im using two products so that my skin cannot adapt to it so quickly. My skin has been slowly clearing up all through the months ,sometimes getting really bad (never worse than my original problem) , and sometimes really good. Now I will get only a pimple or two a week.

Cons of Tazorac - oily but it was a night treatment so didnt matter, works slowly on its own, occasional severe redness and flaking.

Used for a year
Reviewed on May 18, 2015

I used this medication for a year and let me first say it does NOT prevent pimples.. it just makes your pimples not stay as long. Meaning without the medication the pimple would last 4/5 days while on the medication it lasts 2/3 days. However, it seemed like it would make my face break out more. I mentioned this to my doctor who suggested a higher dose..umm so you just keep on increasing my dosage until when?

During this period, my skin needed lots of moisturizer and sunblock. For me, it did not work - I have oily sensitive skin. Just to say, though, this was my experience...so I can not speak for others.

First few weeks on Tazorac suck
Reviewed on April 18, 2015

I'm 15 years old and have been using acanya and Tazorac for about 2 weeks. My acne isn't that bad but it still bothers me since I'm the only one of my friends who has acne. I've had acne for a little over a year now and I've been to three different dermatologist which nothing they gave me helped. When I first started to use Tazorac and acanya I only had acne on my left cheek and tiny bumps on my forehead. The first few days I saw improvement but now after using this product for 2 weeks I've gotten more acne all the right side of my face!! And I'm so angry about it!! And it keeps on getting worse each day. So far these products have done nothing but dry out my skin and cause more acne in places I've never had it. My dermatologist did say it will get worse before it gets better so maybe this is just the "purging phase" everyone's talking about. When I read other reviews , people saw improvement right away which really disappointed me when the same didn't happen to me. If you want to see improvement in your skin fast, I wouldn't recommend either of these products.

by HannahElizabethhhhhh on 07/13/2015 03:54
They say that it gets worse before it gets better for some.
Love this product.
Reviewed on March 7, 2015

I have always suffered from hormonal breakouts right around my cycle, often times causing cystic acne. It was never unbearable, just a nuisance. Then October 2014 I got the birth control implant, Nexplanon, inserted and I began breaking out much worse due to the hormone change. I eventually went to a dermatologist in November, who prescribed me Tazorac and an oral antibiotic. I only took the antibiotic for two days and stopped because it made me sick. The Tazorac did make me break out MUCH worse initially, about two weeks in, and my skin was incredibly red, dry, and peeling for probably 2 months. It was worse than I had ever broken out in my life. I had read that it takes up to 4 months for it to really work, so I kept with it. In January my derm. prescribed me a topical antibiotic to try instead of the oral antibiotic. Since then I've been cleansing with Cerave moisturizing cleanser in the AM, followed by the topical antibiotic and Cerave moisturizer. Then in the evening I use the same cleanser followed by the Tazorac cream. It's now been exactly 4 months and my skin is 100% clear, and I haven't had any breakouts in weeks. I no longer wear make up every day, which has NEVER happened. I do occasionally use Lush Mask of Magnaminty in place of my cleanser at night, which has been great for keeping my skin clear as well. For anyone worried about the initial breakouts with Tazorac, just stick with it and it WILL get better with time. I will continue using this product for the rest of my life.

Life Saver
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

I started using this medication a year ago after accutane for 5 months. I love this product because I can get a bump the night before and the next morning it will be gone. Pimples without the head would come to surface and then go away as well. I still use this medication with 3 other products .. I still prefer this medication over the others because it faster than the others but I use this medicine only at night now. it's Important to wear a moisturizer with sun protection .. to prevent scaring or bleach of the skin. I use panoxly 4% - 10% for my cleaners .. If left on too long can cause burning on the skin but is very helpful . but causes the face to dry out.. both products ... especially together..

Hoping it will get better..
Reviewed on February 2, 2015

I've been using tazorac for almost 2 weeks now and my skin has only gotten worse. My back is absolutely disgusting and covered with breakouts, when before treatment it was not even that noticeable. Also, my skin has been itchy and dry and flaky, too. My face has broken out more than usual, especially my forehead. I am really hoping that this "purge" will not last much longer and my acne will start to clear up soon! I had been on over three different prescription medications.

Love it
Reviewed on January 26, 2015

I have been using tazorac for almost two years now. I ended up getting acne out of nowhere at 21 it was moderate acne but it was the cystic painful kind all over my face. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed be tazorac .05% cream. I didnt have the initial purge people mention or the super awful red skin. My skin did become a little more sensitive but with more moisturizer it was perfectly fine. I saw results after 6 months my face was almost completely clear with one pimple left behind. Then my dermatologist had me using tazorac with aczone and i was also put on birth control but my face is amazing now. I never break out or have a pimple anymore!! My skin looks amazing but i still have some dark marks and my skin can get a dry and flaky so i have to exfoliate often. Overall this product is amazing and also prevents wrinkles so thats a huge plus i definitely recommend it.