Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) reviews

3.5/5 - 607 reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Tazarotene (0.01% or 0.05%) and Benzyl alcohol.

Carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium thiosulfate, sorbitan monooleate and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH.

wow
Reviewed on May 23, 2016

i have been battling cystic acne for many years now and it is completely gone!! i've been using this stuff for 2 month with duac now, and all of my pimples have come to a halt. yes, my face is peeling like crazy, but that is a good thing! that means the dead skin cells and top layer is shedding off and my scars are less visible. My derm said the more i use it overtime, my acne scars will be gone and my face will be much smoother...it's ALREADY getting smoother after 2 weeks of using this product. highly recommend it!

Has it's pros and cons for acne
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

I use Tazorac Gel .1

Tazorac is a tricky product. I have been on Tazorac for over 2 years now and it's sometimes a love/hate relationship. I will say it is EXCELLENT at helping get rid of scaring and hyper pigmentation. HOWEVER, if you use too much of it you will regret it. If not used in just the right amount for your skin it will cause your skin to dry, crack, peel, turn red and unfortunately for me caused me to break out more because my skin was so irritated.

I have learned through trial and error that the best way for me to use Tazorac is to wash my face in the evening with VANICREAM, let dry, apply VANICREAM moisturizer, let dry, and then apply the smallest amount (less than a pea size) to the back of my hand. Then using my fingertips I dot the Tazorac on the problem areas of my face and smooth product out to the other areas. Avoid lip and eye areas.

It takes about 2-3 months for the skin to really get used to this product. When first using the product, my skin went through a very sunburned looking, dry and ugly PURGING period that was disheartening. However, I do believe my skin is better off with the product now. The key is to use it every day at night before bed and ONLY as directed. Don't be slack about using it because if you start and stop your face will hate you for it. An extra perk about this product is that it also helps with aging and sun spots.

I know I have said a lot of negative things about Tazorac but all in all it is a very good acne product when used correctly. It's just one of those things that takes time and a lot of patience to see results.

Effects of purge not worth it
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I always struggled with acne but got it under control after a 2 year battle. The only thing I had were those annoying little colorless bumps on my forehead. Nothing worked so my derm prescribed me with both the .5 and 1%. Because of its effects I'm going on accutane now. The purge was so not worth it and after almost a month and a half my skin still has new painful bumps everyday. In the 2 years that Ive struggled with mild to moderate acne its never been this bad. I highly suggest staying away from this product if you have mild acne. Not sure how it works for more severe cases but I definitely wish I stayed away from this.

Amazing at right strength!!
Reviewed on May 6, 2016

It depends on the strength. I had the o.o5%. My results were better skin. I just switched to 1% and I'm fearful of this purge talk. I woke up with pimple on my forhead that's never had pimples. Skin feels rough and dry. I wish I would've stuck with lower. Here's the deal. If you have combo or sensitive skin start low,don't think more is better. Now my mother can withstand tretinoin lower dose, me I was burnt. She has normal to dry skin. Don't be afraid to start low, I know it's expensive but sometimes more does more damage then good.

Terrible
Reviewed on February 6, 2016

I locked myself in the bathroom and is crying because of what this stuff did to my face

One Month
Reviewed on February 3, 2016

I am 16 years old and have had pretty mild consistent acne since I was about 12. In the last few months my acne has gotten worse. My forehead was mostly consistent of small bumps that could be covered up but were incredibly annoying. Also I occasionally got more red pimples around my Tzone, but nothing too extreme. After being done with my bumps I went to the my dermatologist and she prescribed Tazorac and Yaz birth control for my acne on my chest, back, and face.

I have been using the combined products for over a month and my skin on my face had never been worse. The first few weeks were the worst, my face was incredibly dry but now I use cetaphil daily moisturizer from the jar and my face is never dry anymore. Not only was my face bumpy but I had started to get acne on my cheek and chin, which never happened before. But I am expiriencing better skin on my chest. I'm hoping this is just simply the purging process and my face will clear up soon.

Very drying!!!
Reviewed on January 13, 2016

I am an 18 year old female & I've had pretty moderate acne since I was about 13. I feel like I've tried so many things but I haven't gotten on an actual skincare regime until about a month and a half ago. I cleanse my face with Murad Clarifying Cleanser, tone with witch hazel in the morning (at night I use Mario Badescau glycolic acid toner) follow with aczone, and then apply CeraVe moisturizer. I am also on Solodyn. This combination of things has kept the acne at bay, but I still occasionally got breakouts and I have very bad hyper pigmentation that was not fading. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me this to use at night. Within three nights it managed to wreck complete havoc on my skin!! It is extremely dry, painful, and red. I can't cover it with makeup and I'm embarrassed to even leave the house. My skin has never felt this awful. I've heard good things about Taz, and I want to give it another shot once my face heals, however I will use a very very small amount next time. To anyone looking to use this, be careful with how much you use! A little goes a long way, DO NOT just slather it on your face, especially if you have dry skin to begin with like I did.

by Classic.amelia on 02/06/2016 19:03
I had the same expirience I am noes string coconut oil on my dry-ass, red face. I was so try I couldn't even move my face, it looked like I aged 50 years! My mother should have given my more instructions when she suggested it for me, she just said "just put it on there!!!!" And I got to much gel
Worse acne after 12 weeks
Reviewed on December 17, 2015

After 3 weeks of the medication, I experienced worse acne than I've ever had in my entire life (I'm currently 21, and I've had moderate-severe acne since age 17, but this was HORRENDOUS). Thought it was just an "acne purge"... but it lasted and worsened all the way up until week 12 of the medication. It was SO painful, itchy, and made me not want to leave the house. If you are still experiencing worse acne around like week 7-9, call your doctor... don't finish the course like I did. Now I'm going to try Spiro and Retin-A micro. Here's hoping this nightmare is soon over.

Tazorac is LIQUID GOLD for my skin......
Reviewed on November 24, 2015

I have been using Tazorac for about 2-3 years now and I absolutely love this stuff. I had tried retin A's in the past with laziness and didn't follow through it all until I got a hold of this stuff from my team of guru dermatologists. I was desperate for an acne cure after Proactiv so badly damaged my complexion with congested pores all over my face, countless cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, I had them all. I was extremely depressed about my skin. I felt, ugly, My skin was bumpy and horrible in true light that no amount of make up could cover it at all. I was embarrassed than I was when I was a teenager with pimples. This was adult acne at it's worst. My derm gave me Tazorac explaining to me that this will help clear up the congestion I had due to it's effects to speed up cell turnover essentially exfoliating skin making it radiant and smooth at the same time helping with wrinkles. I began using it at night mixed with my moisturizer in small pea sizes and I noticed the feel of my skin was getting smoother, more supple. The texture of my skin fully changed and began to clear up my congestion completely. My forehead has never been clear until I started using this magical stuff. Tazoraz is a god send to my acne skin. I have glowing, acne-free, wrinkle-free skin. When I get facials, estheticians always compliment my skin of which I never had before either. For stubborn acne, this really is the mother of all retin A's to go to.... what my derm says, "We are pulling out the big guns here"

by Bellamarie on 05/06/2016 17:39
What strength did you use and how much applied. I feel a pea size is not enough. Great review , I like tazorac over tretinoin to!
LOVE IT
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

I was on Differin for 6 weeks and still having breakouts reaaaally bad. The day i started using tazorac (8/10/15) i had two or three cyst-like pimples and a few other random bumps... No lie i used it that night and the next morning my face was 75% clearer. Now, i only have a couple tiny bumps that are not visible and I haven't had a single new breakout!! This is a winner!!!

Other Products being used: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit acne scrub at night and in the AM I alternate Cetaphil oil controlling foam wash and the neutrogena pink grapefruit acne foaming wash using my clarisonic, neitrogena toner, glycolic acid pad, & Onexton (Benzoyl Peroxide)

My skin is oily and i had already been using Differin for 6 weeks, so I didn't experience any dryness or peeling.