Tamanu Oil reviews

Shea Terra Organics 100% Pure Madagascar Tamanu Oil, Certified Organic, 2 oz
Aura Cacia Soothing Tamanu Facial Oil Serum, Lavender & Tea Tree, 1 fl oz
Life-flo Pure Tamanu Oil, 1-Ounce
updated: 09/01/2014 16:01 UTC

Not a miracle product, but still worth it
Reviewed on March 13, 2014

I have been trying to fade/get rid of the numerous red marks left from moderate acne on my cheeks, and after reading about the supposedly miraculous healing properties of tamanu oil on the internet, I decided to try it for myself.

I purchased pure, organic, cold-pressed, unrefined oil - if it didn't work, I wanted to be sure it wasn't because I used an inferior quality. The oil was expensive - about $7 for a two-ounce bottle, plus shipping. However, I feel that it was worth it, as a little goes a very long way.

I have been using tamanu oil for about three months now, applying it one to two times daily. After washing my face, I put several drops of oil on the worst looking spots using an eyedropper, and gently massage it into my skin, spreading it over the rest of my face. The results were nothing miraculous - if you are looking for something that will fade red marks overnight, this isn't it. However, I found that it works quite well when it is used consistently; I started noticing a difference after about a week or two.

The oil also makes a great moisturizer. I have very dry skin that is often dull and flaky, and sometimes feels tight and itchy after I wash it. The tamanu oil absorbs well into my skin, and makes it feel good, normal and even a bit silky/soft. I like that I don't have to worry about it causing me to break out, like I did with my other moisturizers. Tamanu oil is noncomedogenic, and shouldn't cause any problems unless you put too much of it on your face (a little goes a long way) or are allergic to it.

The tamanu oil that I purchased is a lovely deep green color, and has an unsual scent. Many people have commented that they can't stand the smell, but it has never really bothered me. Actually, I kind of like it - it smells natural, like nuts and plants or something, and now that I have been using the oil for a while, I hardly notice the smell at all.

Overall, I think the tamanu oil works well and was worth the price, and I plan on continuing to use it.

Oh, what the hell! Why not?!
Reviewed on December 10, 2013

I started using Tamanu oil about a week ago, so this isn't really an overall review due to the fact that I need to give it some more time.

I have moderate acne, and I've had it since I was thirteen. I've been to dermatologists, used prescription and over the counter products with not much luck in improving the problem. I never felt as though it was severe enough to take the Accutane (spelling?) route, which seemed/seems like a rather painful one.

My skin is oily. My skin is sensitive. My skin is easily irritated. My skin...is a bitch.

Recently the weather here in Oregon took a rather strange turn and became incredibly dry and cold, and my face downright HURT. So, not only was it acne ridden, but it was dry AND oily AND painful.

I started doing research on more natural approaches to acne and skin care in general, and figured I would put what I learned to a test. I mean, why not? Nothing else was working anyway.

In the morning I've been cleansing my face with raw honey, and in the evening to remove the small amount of makeup I wear I've been doing the "oil cleanse". I use a small mix of grapeseed, tamanu and tea tree oil. Then I dab/massage a small amount of tamanu and tea tree on my entire face.

The results?

Well. Thus far it hasn't done much to improve the acne. However, my skin is no longer irritated and it seems to be helping with its overall tone. Which is kinda cool. It also doesn't seem to be making my problem any worse, which is also awesome.

The price is right, a little goes a long way, and at least my skin is just ugly now as opposed to ugly and painful.

If you happen to have a similar freakish problem to mine, go ahead, try it! What do you have to lose?

Wonderful acne oil!
Reviewed on October 20, 2013

I'm not so sure why everyone else's experience with tamanu oil was less than positive, but it works great for me. I would DEFINITELY under every circumstance recommend buying it from mountain rose herbs. The oil is green, and smells like trees. It's pure, cold pressed and unrefined oil from certified organic Tamanu Nuts. I'm sure the quality has something to do with the difference in results. Anyway, I've used this oil every night for about 4 or 5 months. It absorbs completely. I use about a pea sized drop, mixed with a drop of lavender, tea tree, and frankincense essential oil. My acne is extremely severe, caused by a mix of diet and hormones. Although this mixture doesn't cure it, it definitely controls my skin! It looks so much better when I wake up in the morning! It's more affordable than other brands I've seen. $12.25 for 4 oz.

Not All Tamanu Oil Is Created equal
Reviewed on June 17, 2013

Just looking at the color of this oil suggests to me that it is very poor quality. Raw, unrefined Tamanu Oil in its pure form is not this light color. It probably isn't even pure Tamanu Oil but some diluted down version and the low price strongly suggests this. The best Tamanu Oil comes from Vanuatu and then only from the Tamanu Trees that grow naturally by the seashore. While I am a strong advocate of Tamanu Oil, I couln't recommend this stuff as pictured and it is no wonder the buyer never got the sort of fast and effective results you'd normally see.

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

When I got Tamanu oil first time from a cheap brand, it didn't work much visibly.

But it worked for bug bite marks, and swollen parts. So I invested more and got little more expensive one with organic certificated.

It does great job on my pimples, especially red pimples.

For my blemish, I use tamanu oil, tea tree oil, grapeseed oil and jojoba oil mixed, and the oil prevents brakingout.

Reviewed on March 2, 2012

I've been using this for a month so maybe thats not long enough to write a completely fair review. I had my hopes up on this one. So first few weeks my skin just got rough and dry. My red marks seemed more noticeable. So then i started using more. Dryness got better but started breaking out a bit and again, red marks seemed worse. Bleh. This morning after i took a shower, which always seems drying for me because our water is not filtered, I used my old moisturizer (Egyptian Magic) and my skin looks a whole lode better. Just complexion wise. So, for me, tamanu oil didn't really work. I may try to return it or i might keep it to keep trying on stretch marks.

Reviewed on February 16, 2012

really, I think it will work better for wrinkles or dehydrated skin but not acne prone skin. It's oil and the oil can not be absorbed by skin completely. I have a lot of acne on my face, I don't think Tamanu oil helps at all. I checked it out on Google before purchase, but i think all the acne related stuffs are schemes.

Reviewed on December 26, 2011

I have been using this religiously for three To four weeks every morning and night, particularly on red marks and scarring and I would have to say that it has not really helped much. My skin tone is great and I did not breakout from this. It is a great moisturizer. I used it on a fresh burn and it did help heel it super fast. Not sure why it didn't work on my red marks and scars:-(

Everyone is different though. Ladies on makeup alley swear by this!!

Reviewed on January 12, 2011

I just started using this a couple days ago on my face for acne and on my arms for pityriasis alba. I will see what happens, so far it doesn't do much...kind of has the same affects as putting Vaseline on my skin.