Sundown Naturals Evening Primrose Oil reviews

Brand: Sundown Naturals

Evening Primrose (Oenothera Biennis) Oil seed, Cis-Linoleic Acid LA, Gamma Linoleic Acid.

Sundown Naturals Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg, Softgels, 50 ea
updated: 12/20/2014 04:34 UTC
Sundown Naturals Evening Primrose Oil, 500mg, Softgels, 100 ea
updated: 12/20/2014 04:34 UTC

My prayers have been answered! Evening Primrose Oil!
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

I am not one to right reviews on any products but I could not hold back on my experience with EPO! Let me start off by saying this is the 2nd week of taking 1300mg of EPO twice a day with combining fish oil 500mg twice a day!

I am 24 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was 9... I do truly believe a lot of my acne was due to puberty and not washing my face correctly. As I got older my face did not get better - it got worse, a lot worse. After multiple trips to the dermatologist, topical creams, antibiotics, laser treatments, proactiv, murad, skin ID, Acne.org, ect nothing worked! I can honestly say the only time my face was completely clear was when I was 16 and got on birth control for the first time - my skin immediately cleared up and I was amazed! Little did I know that clear skin was going to be short lived. I continued on birth control and began to have some internal side effects. Went to the gyno and long story short I had to make a decision - stay on birth control and risk not being able to have children OR get completely off of them and welcome acne back into my life and be able to have children! Well it didn’t take me long to make that choice - I wanted babies and if that meant suffering with acne forever so be it! There are others out there that have a lot of other worse things that cannot be cured so I stopped complaining and just said deal with it!

Since I was 9 my acne had just effected my face. About 6 months ago I started having cystic acne all over my jaw line and neck to the point I was embarrassed to even go in front of my husband without makeup. And let me tell you that my husband has known me since I was 12 and my face had never been so bad that I didn’t want him to see me until this…not a good feeling! I finally just began to give up and started realizing that this horrible skin disease was something I was going to have to live with for the rest of my life. But it started to become clear to me, what was I missing? What am I doing wrong? I have tried everything under the moon topically and no improvements, this has to be something internally wrong that is effecting why my skin is so bad. So thinking back to when I was on birth control and my face cleared up so well it hit me! It’s got to me a hormonal imbalance in my body that is out of control, because when I was on birth control my acne was almost gone because the birth control regulated my hormone levels. I needed something other than birth control that could/would do the same. So I researched everywhere I could and stumbled across EPO and it has been a god sent product! My cystic acne on my neck and jawline is almost completely gone just small little pimples that are healing, my face has not had a bad pimple in over two weeks! This has been the first product in almost 5 years that has worked! I am so happy that I finally found something that is natural and safe for my body and is clearing up my skin through the inside out!

I apologize for such a long review but I know that there are many other woman out there just like me that want to find a cure and something to aid with their hormonal acne. You are not alone and I understand your frustration and insecurity when it comes to our facial appearance. No one wants to have to cover up with makeup all the time – and if you were like me it still didn’t cover the huge cystic bumps all over my neck.

If you are having some of the same issues I did give this a shot and be patient. It takes time for our bodies to get back into line but once they do it will be worth it!!

Thank you Evening primrose oil!!!

Stormy Smith

Evening Primrose Oil saved my skin!
Reviewed on August 20, 2014

I never write reviews but I honestly have to share my experience with others suffering with adult hormonal acne. My family doctor who I have a lot of trust in sent me for full blood works and ultra scans to eliminate the possibility of cystic ovaries. When the results came back clear he simply said to consider going on the contraceptive pill for a few months to see if that could assist with balancing my hormones. Although being in a long-term relationship, I didn't want to take the contraceptive pill purely on the basis of it potentially clearing my hormonal acne. I knew it was hormonal related as the acne was all over my cheeks and chin, classic symptoms. I did hours of research trying to find a solution other than taking the contraceptive pill or other poisonous medication to help clear it. Then I came across articles around evening primrose oil (EPO) and based my research around this. Knowing how cheap I could purchase EPO and knowing this was a completely natural solution to regulating hormones (primarily used for menopause) I thought why not! 3 for 2 in Boots on the way to work and although it suggests taking 1 x 1000mg a day, I found others were taking up to 3000/4000mg a day for acne related cases. I was taking 4000mg a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I would say within a few weeks, maximum 4 weeks, I could feel the acne drying up and bumps under the skin clearing. After a couple of months, active acne CLEARED!!! Unbelievable. All my friends, colleagues and family members saw my suffering and are now absolutely thrilled with the outcome I've had. I would strongly recommend EPO for hormonal related acne. I still take them everyday although only 2000mg in the morning just to maintain (it has many other benefits as well). I still get the odd pimple during ovulation/period but nothing compared to what I had previously. I always had clear skin until this episode and so glad I found something that worked, naturally! One happy 27 year old!!!

It really works!
Reviewed on July 14, 2014

I started using EPO about a week ago. I didn't expect to see results for at least a couple weeks to a month, but within a few days I could see a dramatic difference in my existing cystic hormonal acne. My skin looked and felt less bumpy along my jaw and chin line and overall I had a beautiful smooth glow. It's been great so far. I'm taking 3000 mg per day (1 cap 3x a day) and will continue. I've been on accutane, solodyn, and spiro in the past and aside from the spiro, this has been the best solution with the least side effects!

Side effects that aren't mentioned
Reviewed on September 2, 2013

I took 1000mg of EPO for around three weeks. It wasn't this brand though. At first I noticed the hormonal acne on my chin and jawline clear up. But its effect kind of fluctuated and I was about 80% clear. BUT on the third week, I began to experience a serious side effect that I was unaware of. I began to cry a lot for no apparent reason and ended up in a deep depression with suicidal thoughts. This lasted for days before I realised that EPO was the problem. Things had gotten so bad that I was considering checking myself into a mental hospital!!! Upon further research online I realised that others have also had the same experience. I'm not saying that everyone will become depressed if they take EPO because everyone will react differently. I have had a mild depression in the past and I also suffer from OCD but I haven't had a terrible depression like this one in over a year since I've been controlling it. I am not currently on anti-depressants either. Maybe my past history made me more susceptible to this side effect. I am no scientist but it seems that EPO could possibly lower serotonin levels, interact with serotonin or block its effects (or another "happy" hormone). I stress that this may not be the case for everybody. Upon stopping EPO, I've noticed that my depression isn't as bad, the crying has stopped and I am recovering. I am very angry that there were no warning as to this side effect and I would hope that you consider this possibility before taking EPO. It seems that the side effects of EPO are similar to the side effects of Accutane. Please be careful when considering any kind of supplement. They are chemicals too, you know.

by sam78 on 05/08/2014 15:40
I also experienced moderate depression while I was taking EPO. It took me only nine days to start feeling the side effect. It cleared my skin up a bit but so does cod liver oil and without giving me any negative side effects.
The great benefits of evening primrose oil
Reviewed on June 22, 2013

Evening primrose oil (EPO for short) does not get the attention it rightfully deserves. Many women have heard of or used evening primrose oil, as it is anecdotally famous for alleviating PMS and menopause symptoms, though most clinical trials have shown no scientific evidence of this. It has been said to also be an effective treatment for psoriasis, eczema, and arthritis, among other things. Early Native Americans recognized and utilized the healing properties of the plant for many ailments.

Nowadays people like to focus on the importance of the almighty omega-3 fatty acids, but oft-forgotten are omega-6 fatty acids, which are what evening primrose oil provides as a natural highly concentrated source of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid). These essential fatty acids are required, but are not produced by the human body. Moreover, evening primrose oil is anti-inflammatory in nature. This makes EPO a great acne treatment. Evening primrose oil can be taken orally in gel capsule form (like these here) or applied topically as a moisturizing oil, and there are no known adverse side effects.

I also use EPO topically as a moisturizer. As weird as it may sound if you are not familiar with the idea, using oil as a moisturizer works very well for dry, oily, acne-prone skin, or any type of skin for that matter. I like to use 2 drops of evening primrose oil combined with 2 drops of almond oil topically as a morning moisturizer. Both of these have anti-inflammatory properties and are quickly and easily absorbed into the skin, so your face does not feel or look oily or shiny. At night before bed, I do the same thing combined with an additional 2 drops of tea tree oil and 2 drops of sea buckthorn oil. If you already use a "regular" facial moisturizer, you can easily just add a couple drops of evening primrose oil and mix it in your palm.

Reviewed on January 9, 2013

I've gone from having 1-3 new cysts every week, all of which lasted at least a week each (sometimes up to a month), to having only one a month, and it disappears in under 3 days. This has been a miracle for me, works just as good as Spiro did, but without the hardcore side effects. You must take with EFA's. I take fish oil, which was hard for me initially, because I've been vegetarian nearly all my life. Flax oil doesn't convert to DHA. I take 3000 mg hexane free cold pressed+1,100 mg fish

by laurahope0 on 05/24/2014 18:51
Can you update us on this? Are you still taking EPO and fish oil - with a comparable effect to that of Spiro? I just increased my spiro dosage because I am fed up with my level of acne again, but wondering if EPO might be another answer for me. Thanks!
Reviewed on October 18, 2012

Evening Primrose Oil vitamins have made my skin softer and vibrant. However, it has not done much for my existing acne or preventing acne. I might possibly be allergic to one of the ingredient in it because i am developing a small rash on my hands. I will discontinue use if rash does not go away.

Reviewed on May 29, 2012

Before prior to using this product I had on going pimples appearing all around my chin, jaw and upper lip. The pain was excruciating and Benzol Peroxide couldn't control the break outs. This was an on going problem for 8 years, sometimes when I go on a juice detox or increase raw food in my diet it helps eliminate the pimples from growing for awhile. But it always comes back once I stop my routine. My lifestyle made it really hard for me to keep up with the diet regime. So I started looking for alternative supplements. And I'm so happy that I tried primrose oil, now i can indulge in junk food every now and then without having to worry that my chin would explode. Bare in mind I am not encouraging people to eat junk food, everything comes in moderation :) Spoiling yourself once every 2 weeks is reasonable.

Reviewed on March 28, 2012

I wouldn't take this again only for the fact that my forehead NEVER breaks out and after I started taking this, it started getting little tiny bumps all over it. But it does keep my skin really moisturized. I used to have real dry cheeks, but since I started taking it they have become a lot softer.

But I'm quitting this.