Overall rating: 3.6 / 5

Average price: $531.78

Most helpful review

By optimist_smiley, east cost on 07/27/2011
thumbnail

I have a couple of dented rolling scars from acne and boxcar scars from chicken pox. I had just one subcision on both these scars. Rolling scars responded really well. I'd say about 80% improvement. Don't expect to see the results immediately. It takes time for the skin to level up. Give it about 2 months time to work. Downtime is 2-3 days. For working folks, you could return to work on Monday if you have the procedure on Friday. There are several positive and negative reviews about subcision in this forum which are posted under a week after the procedure. Anything under a month is too early. Scars could look better or worse during this period due to swelling. Boxcar scars, IMO, showed 0% improvement. But I'm still giving this procedure 5 rating as I was fully aware that boxcar scars wouldn't respond. The $700 that I paid included consultation fee from an earlier visit and excision of ice pick scars. This combo was way cheaper than the price my doctor quoted for lasers ($3K+)..

Pros:
  • Works amazingly well on rolling and dented scars.
Cons:
  • Does not work on boxcar scars.

57 out of 85 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Subscion”
By on

I'm having excellent results and glad I did it. I was so scared and waited 1 year to make sure I needed this treatment. I researched on acne.org and found dr. Mamalak and dr Hansen in austin Texas!!!!iExcellent doctors , reduced the anxiety I was having and did an excellent job. Will post pictures so far if I can figure out how. It has now been 3 weeks and I'm still happy with the results. I know the collagen is still growing and is getting better and I'm more able to cover with makeup. I was surprised that it didn't hurt more I was mildly uncomfortable for about 2 days then I took off bandage and washed with nutogena extra mild liquid soap and covered with aquaphor . The brusing lasted about 7 - 10 days but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't go out. Sanova dermatology is the best I've found in austin Texas. I highly recommend these dermatologists as they know what their doing and are very honest with you. I had rolling scar. And 3 big acne scars done at once. It has been 1 month now and the results are so good. I will give it 6 months and then decide if I need anything more.

Pros

• Shallower scars
  • Not as noticeable scars
  • More self confidence

Cons

• 2 days down time. With bandage on
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 700
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• Works amazingly well on rolling and dented scars.

Cons

• Does not work on boxcar scars.
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 700
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm giving this a 4 even though it's only been 6 days. The swelling is gone and it does seem to have lifted the depressed scar. My doctor only wanted to do one to see how well it would work. Also, she did not charge for this one, so I have no idea how much she will charge to have this procedure for other scars.

Pros

• I seems to have lifted the depressed scar. Not painful and only took about 15 minutes.

Cons

• Some mild bruising and swelling. I had this done late in the afternoon and was able to easily cover with make up and go to work the next day
  • light
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Overall it is a great scar treatment for rolling scars. It is not perfect though but I think this is the best treatment for rolling scars at the moment. Make sure you do your homework on it and find an experienced doctor.

The price I paid if for the entire face. If you have the downtime, money and rolling scars, I highly recommend it.

Pros

• Works very well on some scars. I got over 50% improvement for some of the scars. Can be combined with laser or filler for additional improvement. Works best on rolling scars that do not flatten when stretched.
  • I highly recommend this treatment if you have rolling scars.

Cons

• Long downtime (7-10 days)
  • Possible lumpy area at treatment spot (though rare)
  • Does not work on ice picks
  • Doctors tend to miss some scars so make sure you point them all out or mark them with a pen before
  • moderate
  • $ 500

• severe
  • $ 3600
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have wanted to have my scars removed since I was 13 and waited until now (23) till my acne mostly went away. I had a variety of ice-pick, boxcar, and rolling scars as well as enlarged pores. I did a lot of research and found the right doctor for me online - his website is [link removed]. He predicted a 45-75% increase and was very honest about what I could expect. I tried not to get my hopes too high, but after the first subcision/fraxel/tca cross I was delighted. I've had 1 TCA Cross, 2 Subcision, and 3 Fraxel. I have been done with subcision now for about two months and have 1 Fraxel treatment left. The price I listed as what I paid is just for one subcision treatment.

Pros

• I had fantastic results from the subcision combined with the fraxel laser treatment.

Cons

• It hurt a little bit. I was mentally prepared, having read a lot about it and wanting the procedure done badly enough, but I could see a teenage-me having trouble with it.
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 800
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

So subcision did help my skin but I have a line-like depression scar that was not there before...It has been 3 months since procedure and skin is maybe 30 % better...but the new line scar pretty much makes me think that cancels out the improvement.

Doctor did say it would take a few times to get maximum results and mentioned lasering down the area afterwards but we didn't do it first time. So i have to go for another round of subcision or geta dermal graft to correct line. The doctor was skilled but I don't think itw as completely his fault that the line happened to I can't hate on the procedure. Just get your expectations down up front.

Pros

• made one of my rolling scars better, and made general area smoother

Cons

• next to my larger rolling scar i have a line-like depression that was not there before
  • $ 300
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I just had my 3rd round of subcision performed today. I see more scars than my derms seem to (want to) see (or treat!), and I do wish they would treat all of my scars, not just the most glaringly obvious. But the derm said to me today, "I can't treat something I can't see." I understand that, but it does depend on the lighting, and the uniform florescent doctors' offices' lights don't hit the face at that awful angle that brings out all the scars on the sides of the face.

So, if you can find a caring, experienced, patient dermatologist who is willing to spend time on and with you, who doesn't think you're being nit-picky when in fact you are the patient who is paying hundreds of dollars for the treatment, then I would recommend seeing that doctor. I have been to supposedly the "best", but since one gentleman pushed injections and the other treated all of my scars in less than 2 minutes flat, I think it's hard to know who to go to. I am making the rounds.

Pros

• It definitely helped one scar a lot (so far--assuming it doesn't go down ;-). But the other scars have been more stubborn. But I am optimistic.

Cons

• Requires having it done more than once; Is expensive ($700 each time); So far (knock on wood), I don't think this has worsened any of my scars.
  • for a few months
  • $ 700
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have rolling acne scars and what looks like tiny white heads that wont pop just on my chin area- i went to DR Rullan after reading about him here and other sites- he injected a small amount of cortisone to a pimple and subsized- two sides of my chin also put acid in a large pore on my nose (sorry i cant think of correct terms for procedures) he burned some of the white head type things with a hot needle thing and then lasered the whole area- for a few weeks i was hopefully and it seemed like the acid worked, but then i developed a scar nodule where subscison was done- he injected that with saline along with more of the white head type bumps which seemed to work for a week- its now 4 months later and it looks worse then when i originally went in- purple marks more white bumps, hard lump on one side where subscision was done sunken in where cortisone was injected- also sinking at the top and bottom of the subscision area- looks like a dog bite now not sure what to do next

Pros

• was cheap, but probably will cost more to fix

Cons

• caused atrophy to the area treated, and purple marks has been 4 months since my treatment
  • $ 500
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Thur I had first subcision followed by fraxel laser. After reading the internet for 3 weeks straight, I decided to do the procedure. I was a little nervous, because I have literally tried everything. When I say everything, I have really tried it all...microdermabrasion (about 12-25), pixel laser (about 7-8), Yag laser (had about 10-15 shots in my face), the palomar laser (about 5-6). I have tried it all and spent a lot of money doing it. I remember one dermatologist telling me as long as it took you to get these scars, it will probably take that long to remove them. Well, he was right and wrong. Everyone who is trying to get rid of acne scars, please believe me when I tell you that no laser will work unless you raise the scar. Unless you have very superficial scarring, laser will be a WASTE of money.

Day 4, I have on makeup, because of the fraxel procedure. I can already see an improvement. I may opt for another round of both, but I am leaning towards palomar laser on

Pros

• my scars are practically gone.

Cons

• I paid $850 for the treatment. I believe this can be done a lot cheaper. Doctor said it would be about 4 days downtime. I believe you need at least 6-7 days.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 2150
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.