Subcision reviews

3.5/5 - 24 reviews

Subcision for boxcar scarring...meh.
Reviewed on April 21, 2014

I've had two treatments for boxcar scarring. Diferrent doctors, different techniques.

The first PS used a nokor needle followed by Juvederm the day of (which leaked out) and Restalyne a month later. I had tons of bruising and swelling and heard the popping sounds (from the scar bands 'breaking') but saw no improvement after the swelling subsided. The filler didn't even make a difference.

The second PS used the needle from the filler and then injected Perlane. Very little bruising and swelling. No pain...froze my face with an ice pack vs. local injection. Despite being very happy for the first week or so, I don't see much improvement as of right now. It's only been a month so I suppose you could argue that result are still to come but as of right now, I'm not impressed. You'd think the filler would have done most of the heavy lifting anyway...and still only about 10% better. This might not be the best treatment for boxcars.

Subscion
Reviewed on January 22, 2014

I'm having excellent results and glad I did it. I was so scared and waited 1 year to make sure I needed this treatment. I researched on acne.org and found dr. Mamalak and dr Hansen in austin Texas!!!!iExcellent doctors , reduced the anxiety I was having and did an excellent job. Will post pictures so far if I can figure out how. It has now been 3 weeks and I'm still happy with the results. I know the collagen is still growing and is getting better and I'm more able to cover with makeup. I was surprised that it didn't hurt more I was mildly uncomfortable for about 2 days then I took off bandage and washed with nutogena extra mild liquid soap and covered with aquaphor . The brusing lasted about 7 - 10 days but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't go out. Sanova dermatology is the best I've found in austin Texas. I highly recommend these dermatologists as they know what their doing and are very honest with you. I had rolling scar. And 3 big acne scars done at once. It has been 1 month now and the results are so good. I will give it 6 months and then decide if I need anything more.

Reviewed on July 27, 2011

I have a couple of dented rolling scars from acne and boxcar scars from chicken pox. I had just one subcision on both these scars.

Rolling scars responded really well. I'd say about 80% improvement. Don't expect to see the results immediately. It takes time for the skin to level up. Give it about 2 months time to work.

Downtime is 2-3 days. For working folks, you could return to work on Monday if you have the procedure on Friday.

There are several positive and negative reviews about subcision in this forum which are posted under a week after the procedure. Anything under a month is too early. Scars could look better or worse during this period due to swelling.

Boxcar scars, IMO, showed 0% improvement. But I'm still giving this procedure 5 rating as I was fully aware that boxcar scars wouldn't respond.

The $700 that I paid included consultation fee from an earlier visit and excision of ice pick scars. This combo was way cheaper than the price my doctor quoted for lasers ($3K+).

by blueblueplanet on 01/10/2014 10:16
Hi, would you mind to pm me the name of the doctor? Desperately need help. Blueblueplanet@[link removed]
Reviewed on January 26, 2011

I'm giving this a 4 even though it's only been 6 days. The swelling is gone and it does seem to have lifted the depressed scar. My doctor only wanted to do one to see how well it would work. Also, she did not charge for this one, so I have no idea how much she will charge to have this procedure for other scars.

Reviewed on June 8, 2010

Overall it is a great scar treatment for rolling scars. It is not perfect though but I think this is the best treatment for rolling scars at the moment. Make sure you do your homework on it and find an experienced doctor.

The price I paid if for the entire face. If you have the downtime, money and rolling scars, I highly recommend it.

Reviewed on September 22, 2009

I have wanted to have my scars removed since I was 13 and waited until now (23) till my acne mostly went away. I had a variety of ice-pick, boxcar, and rolling scars as well as enlarged pores. I did a lot of research and found the right doctor for me online - his website is [link removed]. He predicted a 45-75% increase and was very honest about what I could expect. I tried not to get my hopes too high, but after the first subcision/fraxel/tca cross I was delighted. I've had 1 TCA Cross, 2 Subcision, and 3 Fraxel. I have been done with subcision now for about two months and have 1 Fraxel treatment left. The price I listed as what I paid is just for one subcision treatment.

by harshddesai on 10/07/2013 15:34
ive had subcision , in India , one session costs Rs.2000 i.e around $28 usd ,LOL .even one laser treatment costs $28-30 n works just fine :D
Reviewed on September 16, 2009

So subcision did help my skin but I have a line-like depression scar that was not there before...It has been 3 months since procedure and skin is maybe 30 % better...but the new line scar pretty much makes me think that cancels out the improvement.

Doctor did say it would take a few times to get maximum results and mentioned lasering down the area afterwards but we didn't do it first time. So i have to go for another round of subcision or geta dermal graft to correct line. The doctor was skilled but I don't think itw as completely his fault that the line happened to I can't hate on the procedure. Just get your expectations down up front.

Reviewed on June 13, 2009

I just had my 3rd round of subcision performed today. I see more scars than my derms seem to (want to) see (or treat!), and I do wish they would treat all of my scars, not just the most glaringly obvious. But the derm said to me today, "I can't treat something I can't see." I understand that, but it does depend on the lighting, and the uniform florescent doctors' offices' lights don't hit the face at that awful angle that brings out all the scars on the sides of the face.

So, if you can find a caring, experienced, patient dermatologist who is willing to spend time on and with you, who doesn't think you're being nit-picky when in fact you are the patient who is paying hundreds of dollars for the treatment, then I would recommend seeing that doctor. I have been to supposedly the "best", but since one gentleman pushed injections and the other treated all of my scars in less than 2 minutes flat, I think it's hard to know who to go to. I am making the rounds.

Reviewed on April 28, 2009

I have rolling acne scars and what looks like tiny white heads that wont pop just on my chin area- i went to DR Rullan after reading about him here and other sites- he injected a small amount of cortisone to a pimple and subsized- two sides of my chin also put acid in a large pore on my nose (sorry i cant think of correct terms for procedures) he burned some of the white head type things with a hot needle thing and then lasered the whole area- for a few weeks i was hopefully and it seemed like the acid worked, but then i developed a scar nodule where subscison was done- he injected that with saline along with more of the white head type bumps which seemed to work for a week- its now 4 months later and it looks worse then when i originally went in- purple marks more white bumps, hard lump on one side where subscision was done sunken in where cortisone was injected- also sinking at the top and bottom of the subscision area- looks like a dog bite now not sure what to do next

Reviewed on April 13, 2009

Thur I had first subcision followed by fraxel laser. After reading the internet for 3 weeks straight, I decided to do the procedure. I was a little nervous, because I have literally tried everything. When I say everything, I have really tried it all...microdermabrasion (about 12-25), pixel laser (about 7-8), Yag laser (had about 10-15 shots in my face), the palomar laser (about 5-6). I have tried it all and spent a lot of money doing it. I remember one dermatologist telling me as long as it took you to get these scars, it will probably take that long to remove them. Well, he was right and wrong. Everyone who is trying to get rid of acne scars, please believe me when I tell you that no laser will work unless you raise the scar. Unless you have very superficial scarring, laser will be a WASTE of money.

Day 4, I have on makeup, because of the fraxel procedure. I can already see an improvement. I may opt for another round of both, but I am leaning towards palomar laser on