Page 97 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1027 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Reviewed on July 24, 2007

Does anybody know how long it takes to start working - I am on 50mg/day, have been taking it for a week today... I have noticed some difference in that my spots/acne do not have quite the same amount of fluid/gunk inside.. but i am still gettting lodas and it actually taking longer to go away.. i am worried about scarring as I get them along my jawline and occasionally on my cheek bone, lumps that dont surface to the skin..

Reviewed on July 22, 2007

I started taking Spironolactone (50mg once a day) for androgenic alopecia. I did notice though that the acne on my back had cleared up and nothing had ever gotten rid of it. I am also on Ortho Tri Cyclen but that only clears up my face.

Reviewed on July 20, 2007

I never had the first pimple until I turned 28. Then my face went crazy. I tried over the counter topical agents and antibiotics. I tried differen, but it dried out my skin to bad. Then my derm put me on spiro 100mg. It took 4 months to work, but I love it. My face doesn't get any more cystic acne, but I still get pimples before my period. I have been taking it for 7 months and have started getting chest pain and hyperpigmentation on my upper lip and forehead. I had to get cream for that, but I am going to stay on the spiro b/c it works so well. I guess to side effects are a small price to pay.

Reviewed on July 12, 2007

I've had acne since the beginning of high school. I am now 28 and within the past year or so, the breakouts have been so much worse. Nothing seemed to help until my doctor prescribed spiro a month ago. The first week of taking spiro, I had the normal amount of breakouts. Since then, I have had no new pimples (it has been a month). Also, I no longer need to blot my face of oil during the day (previously, I'd have to blot every half hour!). This is a miracle drug!! I take 100 mg per day (I no longer use any other acne meds). During the first week or two I was more tired, but that is no longer a problem. That has been the only side effect I have experienced. I wish I would have learned of this drug sooner - but hey, it feels amazing now not to wake up to a new pimple or four every morning. I am so grateful of spiro - having acne is so painful both emotionally and physically. I wish everyone out there suffering from acne the best - I hope spiro works for you!

Reviewed on July 6, 2007

I started breaking out around 16 and was put on minocycline. Worked wonderfully, but stopped working in my early 20s. Tried all kinds of other things, but had no success until trying Accutane. Accutane gave me absolutely gorgeous skin--even strangers gave me compliments--but my skin eventually started breaking out again a few years later. Tried it again, but really felt uncomfortable with the side effects and what it might be doing to my liver. Had given up hope until my doctor suggested Spiro again (which I previously decided not to take). I am encouraged by other posts that the drug may take some time to take effect. Each morning I seem to be waking up to a new cystic zit and have lots of "bumps" on my face. The oil has definitely diminished though. At 39, I am totally fed up with having to deal with a "teen-age" problem. This has to work!

Reviewed on July 3, 2007

Please believe that I am another girl that has tried everything. Back in the day, my 100 mg Spiro with Minocycline and Retin A worked wonders. Now, after being off of it because the Spiro caused me to quit having my periods for a year and a half, I have had to return to it as the only thing short of Accutane that will clear me up. BUT... the second time around, it is doing nothing. Excellent..

Reviewed on July 1, 2007

I started this after being on Diane 35 for about 7 years. Diane 35 made my skin absolutely beautiful. I couldn't handle the side effects (headaches, chest pains, worsening eye sight, risk of DVT, etc.) anymore so I got off it thinking my "high school" acne would be gone by now.

My face broke out again and I have been battling it for almost 2 years now. I have tried everything and when used "consistently" it works (especially benzoyl peroxide) but I hate putting "extra" things on my face and burn like crazy when I got out in the sun.

I started with 25mg per day for one week and now use 50mg per day on week 2 which I am going to maintain for at least a month before bumping up the dose again because the side effects were horrible. Upset stomach, palpitations, chest pain, cystic acne on my jawline and cheeks (never had this before), etc. It took Diane 35, 3 months to "fully" kick in so I am giving this a "trial" for 3 months too. I will up my dose from 50 to 75mg in 3 weeks..

Reviewed on July 1, 2007

I'm 45 years old so I suspect my sudden "breakout" was due to hormones. Tried retin A, over-the-counter products and nothing worked. My dermatologist put me on Spiro and an antibiotic. Since I can't go on birth control pills, Spiro was the best choice. I am gaining my self-confidence back. Having acne made me late for work (having to cover them takes forever) and I was even afraid to even look at my face in the morning. Now the question, will I have to be on this forever, or will my hormones balance themselves out?

Reviewed on July 1, 2007

I have tried the following:

*Almost everything/anything topical

*Photodynamic therapy w/ Levulan (cost $1300)

*Antibiotics

*Doing everything "right" - washing w/ Ovace, all products noncomedagenic, etc

Spironolactone is the only thing that works. Proves that acne in caused internally. I was warey of it at first but was ready to try anything to clear up my skin for my wedding - it made a remarkable difference. After the wedding I stopped taking it... skin went back to it's normal ways. A month ago my skin was so horrible that I decided to resume it -- and here I am again at almost 2 weeks into the treatment and pores are smaller, skin is clearer...no plans of getting off of it anytime soon.

Reviewed on June 21, 2007

I am 43 years old and have suffered with oily skin and acne seems like most of my life. Nothing has worked this well. I take 25 mg twice daily. My skin is less oily w/no breakouts. What more could I ask for. A little oil is ok. I don't want to dry up and look older. I would recommend this med under doctors orders for anyone who has tried it all. You will be amazed.