Page 97 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1101 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Reviewed on February 1, 2008

I wanted to respond to people's questions about how it effects your birth control and pregnancy. Be very careful if you're trying not to get pregnant, make sure you're taking the pill on time every day and if you don't wear a condom.

You also shouldn't take it when you're pregnant since it messes with your hormones. I actually no doctor in their right mind that would let you.

I will post in a few weeks with how well it has worked for me, keep your fingers crossed!

Reviewed on February 1, 2008

I have suffered with mild to moderate acne since the age of 12 and have always had very oily skin. However, I have always been able to control my breakouts with over the counter topical solutions and a consistent skin regimen. I turned 29 and that is when the problem began. I tried proactiv, murad, and monthly deep cleansing facials to no avail. My derm said that I was suffering from hormonal acne. I tried proactiv and murad to no avail. I am now taking 50 mg/day of spiro, tazorac pm, and sulfacetimide am and I am so impressed with the results. Although, I have not completely healed, people are beginning to notice the improvement. Thats a plus in my book!

Reviewed on January 29, 2008

I started taking this because I had to go off birth control pills 7 months ago because of melasma and my skin was getting progressively worse because of the hormone fluctuations (the most I had ever gotten on my face was maybe a pimple or 2 a week while on the bc pills and now i was getting several and a ton the week before my period). Anyways, I did research on spiro and discovered that since it supresses aldosterone, it also supresses testosterone which would help acne. I then started 25mg BID the first week and then up to 50mg BID the second week. Within 2 days of taking my first dose, my face brokeout worse than ever. Huge pimples and also tiny bumps all over the bottom half of my face - it was HORRIBLE! I didn't want to leave the house. I have now been on spiro 2 months and my skin is finally much better -it's even softer -now all i have left besides a couple of bumps, are scars. Hang in there, it takes a while to work, and has uncomfortab side effects at first- but it's worth it!

Reviewed on January 25, 2008

I believe that my cystic acne is hormone related so I will continue to use this to see if it eventually works consistently. This is a last resort before trying accutane. I have been on antibiotics for the last 2 1/2 years and would love to quit taking them. I had a major skin reaction to my antibiotics last summer. I was in the sun for a couple of hours on July 4th, with 50 spf on, and for the next 2 weeks I had a strong tingling sensation in my hands. The docs could not explain my symptoms and it was very scary. I would like to find a solution to my acne before summer rolls around again. This drug is very inexpensive and I not noticed any side effects besides being very thirsty. My family thinks that I am crazy for trying all of these meds but they do not understand how depressing ance can be. I have my fingers crossed!!

Reviewed on January 25, 2008

I have used this medication consistently for 3 weeks. My skin has gotten worse- I have more cystic acne, but I am hoping this is just bringing things to the surface. Anyone else have this result? My dermatologist won't let me try more that 50mg per day. He did put me on an antibiotic for calming the breakout. I have tried everything. I am 30. Totally ready to FREAK OUT.

Reviewed on January 25, 2008

I am 25 years old and have had acne of various types since I was 13. I have tried many medications over the years, both topical and oral - antibiotics, vitamin A based, etc etc. When I started using spironolactone about a year ago, I had about 28 to 30 active, inflamed cystic pimples. I saw great improvement within a few weeks, and within a few months my monthly break outs consisted of maybe one cystic spot. I also use Benzaclin (topical antibiotic) daily, and Differin as needed, but what has really made this difference is this med. After dealing with my acne for over ten years, I had about given up, so this is my miracle acne drug. I experience little to no side effects while taking 50mg per day.

Reviewed on January 24, 2008

ok, so since i started to use spiro, this will be week 3, i have noticed significant oil reduction and less cycstic acne. i had an initial outbreak just after one week, which was really horrible, but i kept my cool and stayed with the program. my face is starting to clear up nicely, with the exception of a few lingering cycstic ones. also, i've noticed blothces on the skin of my arms and abdomen area, i will see my derm on monday about this.

if anyone has pics, please post them if you are able to. i would love to see the progress that anyone has made so far.

Reviewed on January 24, 2008

After my reaction that I didn't initially attribute to the medicine, I did more research on spiro. It is a drug (in a higher dose) that is also used for people who are trying to change genders (grow breasts). My doctor also encouraged me to practice abstinence or be on the pill. When asked why he said the medicine can cause a male fetus to take on female characteristics.

I wanted to try to stay on it because the doctor seemed certain it would work for me. But he also said it would take about four weeks to kick in and that is when I got the soreness and incessant itchiness.

Reviewed on January 23, 2008

I've been using Spironolactone for 2 weeks this Friday and my face is already a lot clearer. I've had acne since I was 11 or 12 and I'm almost 19, and literally, nothing has worked. I've gone to the derm. time & time again, and after some research, found Spironolactone online and got on it. The past few days though, I feel like I've had a weight gain and I'm not eating much at all; nothing more than usual. So I don't know if it's from this or changing birth control, which i'm in the process of as well. But it works very well for my acne; so far at least!

Reviewed on January 22, 2008

I have had acne since I was 11. I have tried everything including accutane. once i was off accutane about 1 year and i would get more breakouts. About a year ago i started getting cysts and went to my gyno she put me on 100mg twice a day and lo estrin. This has worked miracles on my skin. I have been on this for a year now and I have not had a breakout in about 6 months. I also use differin gel. Its consistent and your skin is practically flawless. Dont give up this might be the answer for you too.