Page 5 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1138 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

It works
Reviewed on September 18, 2015

I have been taking it for three months. I love it my skin is clear. The only problems i have noticed are breast tenderness and i have had a period twice a month for two months ,which i dont like so not sure if i want to stay on it if that continues. I am going to ask my ob about if i should continue or not. I also use Retin A which as long as i keep using it my skin stays nice.

by 455167_1443952509 on 11/22/2015 00:49
What was your dosage?
Be patient!
Reviewed on September 12, 2015

Giving this drug 4 stars because I haven't been on it for 3 full months to see complete results yet. My story is similar to many others; I'm 27 and have had serious acne for about 13 years now. I've been through every medical treatment I possibly can, including two rounds of Accutane. Accutane worked for me while I was still on it, but once I came off, my acne was back to where it was. About two years ago, I was prescribed Spiro for the first time. I took it for about 6 months with great results, but had to stop because I began getting severe headaches and migraines. Because the only drug I was on was Spiro, I assumed my migraines were related to the dehydration caused by the drug. For the last year and a half I've been under the treatment of a neurologist for hormonal migraines. A few months ago it clicked- my acne must be hormone related too!

Fast forward to today. I've been on Spiro for about two months now, also taking doxy and using Retin-A at night and Aczone gel during the day. After a month, my skin dramatically went downhill. My derm said this was the Retin-A purge. I had about 10 cysts around my mouth/chin and about 10 cysts on my forehead for two weeks before I finally went to the derm and told her I couldn't take it anymore. She injected them with cortisone and they went away in about 3 days. Today, my skin looks AMAZING. I have only one cyst on my cheek and a TON of milia on both sides of my chin. This is a HUGE improvement from where I was 2 months ago, 6 months ago, 1 year ago, 2 years ago. Today my skin looks the best it has in about 5 years. I think the combo of Spiro and Retin-A is what is working for me. I've noseyed around the acne.org message boards for nearly 8 years now searching for hope. I want you girls with hormonal cystic acne like me to know that IT WILL GET BETTER. Don't settle for expensive OTC methods and sub-par skin. Please, please, please give Spiro a shot, and if your derm thinks you can also use Retin-A- even better!!

It works
Reviewed on September 11, 2015

I take 150 of spiro daily and it took me about 3 months to see total clearance of my skin. My oiliness is now normal. It didn't work overnight but it WORKS. I'm very impatient when it comes to my appearance, but my persistence paid off and I highly recommend spiro for women experiencing hormonal acne.

Miracle
Reviewed on September 8, 2015

I honestly cannot recommend this medication highly enough!

A bit about me....

I'm 24 and have been suffering with terrible acne since finishing birth control 3 years ago (Yasmin). Never previously suffered with it. Acne was destroying my life....I hated going out in bright sunlight, I couldn't look people in the eye and dating was out of the question. I spent most of this summer in hibernation...not living at all.

I was contemplating going back on Yasmin as a last resort...I had tried being dairy free etc and nothing worked. Finally I saw Spironolactone mentioned on a forum but I was really hesitant to give it a go - Reading reviews like this are what encouraged me but I was skeptical. I bought it online because it is really difficult to get prescribed it in the UK. I wouldn't normally recommend doing so but as a medical student I was confident with the research I had done and my understanding of how it works - Generally it is pretty safe (especially in comparison to birth control).

So how long did it take to work? 7 days.

Dose - 100mg every morning.

I was prepared to wait it out but it honestly had an instant effect for me...I haven't been on it long but so far so good.

After one week my skin was clearer than it had been in 3 years. My skin felt completely different, my pores were reduced...my terrible cystic acne was healing and all the little tiny bumps all over my forehead were disappearing.

I'm still waiting to see if I get a delayed initial outbreak...but I don't think I will. My skin improves every day. I feel like I have my life back again.

Side effects:

Dizziness and nausea for the first few days.

Frequent urination (Make sure you drink plenty of water)

Fatigue - I am a lot more tired most of the time!

However, the pros far outweigh the cons and the side effects have only been mild for me.

If you're contemplating Spironolactone....Do it! It could be the best decision you ever make.

by jacqueline420 on 09/21/2015 20:52
would you mind please sharing where online you were able to obtain it?
On the fence
Reviewed on September 4, 2015

I did 2 rounds of accutane and it kept acne away for maybe a year. But it slowly starting coming back. I had a bad cause of acne but it wasn't cystic. Now i had 2 huge cystic zits that he actually gave me cortisone shot in. Ouchy! The derm put me on 100mg of spiro and now my face looks Bad!! I may have jumped the gun but I had 2 huge cystic zits that scared me. I think if I would've just let them be I would've been ok but I started taking the spiro and now I look like crap. Tons of tiny red pimples all over cheeks. Is this purging? I also just generally feel like crap. Headache, light headed, body ache, groggy. I hope this med pans out for me.

Skin looks great but losing hair
Reviewed on September 2, 2015

I have been on spiro 100 mg for about six months now and have seen great results; however about three months ago I noticed my hair hair really begun thinning. A little bit of history about myself. I am 47 years old and have suffered from cystic acne since a teenager. I have done several courses of accutane, which cleared my skin greatly only to go back to breaking out again. My new derm said I would love Spiro since my breakouts were hormonal. She was right. It reduced my oiliness and cleared up my skin. My skin never looked so good. I got so many compliments. However, then I started noticing the hair loss. So I do have some family history of hair thinning in women and had noticed that my crown had thinned in the last seven years or so. However this new hair loss has been pretty drastic. My scalp is really showing on the top of my head, and I seem to be shedding lots of hair when shampooing and throughout the day. I'm going back in to see my derm tomorrow hoping she may have some answers. I share this info in case anyone else has experienced similar symptoms. I've read up on it and can't really find that hair loss is a symptom rather quite the opposite as it's used for hair loss?? So if you don't experience the hair loss with it, I think it's great and would recommend trying it.

by aj12345 on 09/02/2015 16:00
I have been on spiro for three months and have noticed a drastic change in hair loss. My hair was very full and has thinned out dramatically. Very happy with skin though so far! Going to ask about the hair loss at my next appt....
This medicine totally works- be patient!
Reviewed on September 2, 2015

I am a 33 yr old female. I've been on this drug for three months now. I am finally so much happier with my skin! It was so depressing and awful to deal with months ago. I thought the acne wouldn't stop. And using a ton of makeup was disheartening and exhausting to cover everything up.

Note: I've been battling acne since I have been a teenager. With that said, I have taken antibiotics, tried face washes, creams, cleansing wipes, vitamins, you name it- even Accutane when I was 28. My skin was super clear from the accutane and stayed this way for a number of years. In the last two years, my skin started acting up again and in the last few months the hormonal cystic acne became really bad. When the new dermatologist I was seeing recommended spiro, I was completely on board after nothing seemed to help. she also prescribed oracea to take along with the spiro. I felt like while I was both that my stomach was upset. Anyway doc said Oracea would help speed up the process she said with the healing. I started the spiro at 25 mg and after a couple weeks upped it to 50 mg. I honestly didn't see much result in the first Month. And I was taking the antibiotics as well. It just takes a while for the med to work. So towards the end of my second month I was happier but not completely. The doc At the end of month said to stop the antibiotic and upped my spiro to 75 mg per day. Since then my Month 3 has been great! My skin is smooth,the scars are healing every day and I haven't had a deep cystic pimple in weeks!! I have been keeping a photo journal and it's crazy to look back and now at my skin. I'm not sure how Long I will stay on but I am definitely pleased. Along with the spiro I have been using a prescrip face wash, wipes, and adapalenegel at night. Keeping your skin clear is definitely a commitment and is worth all the effort when you see the good results. Because I've battled with this my whole life, I know how it feels to have bad skin and it's the worst feeling! I would definitely recommend spiro and im glad there was something other than accutane to take. Couple cons are feeling like you have to go to bathroom- this was more in beginning. Also Drink a lot of water !! And the one big one is hairloss. My hair has thinned out drastically. I'm hoping once I do stop that it regrows! But I will keep taking this drug as long as possible. It really saved me- I was a mess. ! I wish anyone that take this good luck and just be patient!

This stuff is awesome, but it's not a quick fix!
Reviewed on August 27, 2015

I am a 23 year old female who has been suffering from acne since before puberty. My acne runs the gamut from blackheads to whiteheads to severe cysts. I went on an oral contraceptive when I was a teenager and that helped keep my skin clear for a few years, but about a year ago my cystic acne returned with a vengeance. I would say it was worse than it had ever been, and nothing topical was helping, so I went to my dermatologist. She explained that spironolactone is a good option for women who are out of the teen years, but are still dealing with considerable hormonal acne. She started me on a dose of 150mg of spiro a day, along with a course of doxycycline and a topical retinoid (Ziana). The important thing to remember about spiro is it takes a while to kick in, so please don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. I continued to break out pretty bad for the first two months I was on it, even while taking the antibiotic. But then suddenly it was like the spiro had just been building up and finally started to kick in and work its magic. My breakouts slowed dramatically, and I discontinued the doxy. I take 100mg of spiro in the morning and 50mg in the evening (it is a diuretic, so it's better to take your higher dose earlier in the day to prevent waking up at night to pee), and am using the retinoid twice a week. My skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. My skin's oil production has slowed down too, which is a great bonus. I still struggle with some blackheads in my t-zone, but my cystic acne is 99% gone, and that's my main concern (I can treat my blackheads, but cysts have always been an uphill battle).

Side effects (THAT I NOTICED):

*The biggest one for me is dizziness. Spiro lowers your blood pressure, which isn't dangerous in itself, but it's just something to be aware of because it can cause you to feel light-headed. If I am dehydrated when I take it, I can get dizzy and am prone to really bad head rushes when I stand up. But if I make sure to take my spiro with water and some food, I don't really have that problem. I have found that if I get dizzy, eating something salty helps a lot.

*The first few months I had some issues with tiredness for a few hours after taking my doses, but it seems I have gotten over that now.

*I drink a ton of water and I am used to going pee more than the average woman, so the diuretic effect doesn't really bother me. But I imagine it might be annoying for some people.

I would recommend this to anyone, but just know that it's not a quick fix! It will most likely take some time to work for you. Be patient and you will see good results!

by ko12345 on 08/27/2015 16:51
I am just at my 2.5 month marker (1+ month on 50mg, and now most recently 1+ month on a dose of 100mg). At what month marker did you start dramatically clearing?
Reviewed on August 21, 2015

A year ago I had cystic acne around my mouth and chin. As many know, cystic acne does not respond to topical treatment 9 out of 10 times. (I would actually say 10 out of 10). Initially i thought it was my diet, so I cut out all carbs, sugars, dairy, etc. hoping that it would change something. I juiced every day, drank nothing but water, and still nothing changed. It got to the worst it has ever been last July. My entire skin broke out in a way that was unimaginable and quite frankly unbearable. My self esteem was so low and I spent months depressed and avoiding social interaction. I ended up diagnosing myself with PCOS after hours of research. I figured out that acne resulting from PCOS is due to increased androgen (testosterone) production and insulin resistance. Basically, sugar and testosterone together can lead to the perfect environment for acne to thrive. I went to my derm and OBGYN and found that indeed my testosterone was high. and my derm wanted to put me on accutane; but after doing research myself I realized that accutane does not target hormonal acne. Therefore I thought Spiro would be best, and he agreed after I asked his opinion at my next appointment. I was on 50mg a day at first but after a week or so decided to bump it up to 100 myself. It has worked miracles for me and I havent really noticed an negative side effects at all. Ive been on it for almost a year and have no complaints. I am beyond grateful for it. I have found that taking supplemental ZInc 30mg a day as well helps (read more for yourself. works like an antibiotic). Also, mainting blood sugar is so important in order to make sure you dont experience spikes throughout the day. I eat a lot of high protein food and do not eat any breads, pasta or things containing flour. NO sodas, sweets, or dairy really. Mostly salads and lean meat. Ill have a cookie every now and then though ONLY after Ive eaten a high protein meal so that it isnt the first thing to hit my stomach. Hope this helps!

[link removed] <---- great info about acne and PCOS as well as other hormonal issues

by ko12345 on 08/22/2015 00:51
How long until you saw real results??
Spiro worked, but cutting out dairy was the acne cure for me
Reviewed on July 28, 2015

I never ever write reviews, but I felt the need to share my experience on spironolactone. In my early 20s, I went on spironolactone as a last resort. I had terrible hormonal acne for years along my jawline and red inflamed skin no matter what I tried. Spironolactone worked like a charm for me, and I was on it for almost 4 years with absolutely perfect skin. However, after some time, I started to develop digestive issues and generally did not feel well most of the time. At the recommendation of a doctor, I decided to go off of Spiro at that time. After a few months off of Spiro my acne came back full force, but I remained off of Spiro for another two years. During that time, I coincidentally had food allergy testing done and found out that I had a mild dairy allergy. I cut most dairy out of my diet (not all, but definitely cut way back on dairy) and after about 6 months my skin became perfectly clear again (just like when I had been on Spiro). I've been off of dairy for almost two years now and my skin is still clear. For me, I believe dairy had been causing a hormonal imbalance which Spiro had temporarily covered up years before. While I don't know this for sure, I wanted to share my story in case it happens to be the same for any of you. A natural cure may be possible depending on your situation. Good luck to all of you in searching for an acne solution!

by ko12345 on 08/03/2015 20:18
How long did it take for you to see results on spiro? Also what was your dosage?