Page 5 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1098 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spironolactone

Glad it worked for others, but it is not for me
Reviewed on January 23, 2015

My skin became so much worse after taking 100mg a day of this medicine. I was hoping it was just the initial breakout I kept reading about, but after about 3 months on the drug my acne became disfiguring with multiple huge cysts and whiteheads, and I also developed some sort of strange facial rash in conjunction with the acne. I also had horrible leg cramps and felt thirsty all the time despite drinking up to 10 glasses of water a day, So I guess next up is Accutane.

Taking erythromycin and am going to take spiro
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

I have been taking erythromycin and tactuo gel for over 4 months and am seeing decent results but my derm recommended adding spiro. Wondering if anyone has tried this combo. Also concerned about the initial breakout when starting spiro but maybe the erythromycin will help with that. If anyone has any personal experience would love to know.

by Gmomma211 on 02/18/2015 11:39
I was given Doryx (doxycycline) with my initial rx for spironolactone. My dr said they use the antibiotic in conjunction to help with the breakouts because it takes some time for the spiro to go to work.
Trying to stay positive!
Reviewed on January 18, 2015

Ive been on Spiro for almost a month. 50 mg twice daily as well as minocyclin 50 mg twice a day and 0.1 Trentinon(spelling) cream at night. I haven't seen any improvements. Some days my skin looks even worse. I'm trying to stay positive. Here's a little background about myself. I'm 30 years old and my skin has never been as bad as it is now. I've suffered from cystic acne since puberty and I've always kept it somewhat under control with anti-biotics, a clean diet and a ton of exercise. I've modeled for some years, and have always had to apologize for my skin. It's caused such low self esteem. I had a horrible back injury this last September, and since my skin has worsened. Rough texture, oily, and painful, and beck acne which I've never had. I'm back to work as a personal assistant, embarrassed of how I look, like my skin is all people see. Turning down modeling jobs. In a nutshell it's causing me to be severely depressed. I have a supportive boyfriend who constantly gives me words of hope.

Also, All of your reviews have given me strength, so I thank you! At this point I can say Acne is a disease. I don't wish it in anyone. All I can hope is that Spiro brings me some results SOON! Il keep you all posted!

by Leltb on 01/24/2015 17:22
I'm in the same boat! Reviews keep me hopeful but no major improvements after 7 weeks...
by atabanana29 on 02/02/2015 18:19
It took about three months to see improvement. It really helped my back too! It will work! Just push through!
by Mlucero2 on 02/05/2015 04:54
Thanks for the hopeful words! Still haven't seen any improvements, I started taking Spiro on December 29, 2014. Not sure if I should just stick it out or take the plunge and try accutane. I'm meeting with a new dermatologist tomorrow. So hopefully she can give me some strong words of advice. Or up me 50mg twice a day to 100mg twice a day. I'm Losing myself over my skin and it's an awful feeling. Fingers crossed that time heals it.
by Gmomma211 on 02/18/2015 11:44
Hang in there!! Cliche, yes, but it will do the job. I was the biggest skeptic and after 2 months I've turned a corner and it's finally working for me. I'm on 100 mg spiro in the am and 50 mg in the pm. Im also using aczone twice a day and ziana at night. Stick with it because after having been on everything else and suffering from face, back, chest and neck acne I'd just about given up!
by jasminevt on 03/21/2015 02:44
i've been on Spiro for 5 weeks and my skin looks worse than ever. Did it eventually work?
give it time, may have to move to higher doses.
Reviewed on January 18, 2015

I started out on 50 mg twice daily for moderate hormonal acne. I didn't see much improvement after three months, and thought I was actually getting worse at times. The only change I noticed was decreased oil production. My derm upped by dose to 150 mg a day and after about two weeks of that, I started seeing more improvement than I did in the first three months of treatment. This pill takes time, and from my experience and what I have heard from others, it can take getting up to the higher doses to really see changes. I have now been on spiro for 5 months and my acne is 60 percent improved-- in the long run that is not very long for the results I am now seeing. If your derm starts you out on 50 or 100 mg, be patient. They have to make sure your levels are okay to tolerate the medication.

Seems like a Miracle Pill for Acne
Reviewed on January 17, 2015

I've been taking Spiro for about a year and a half now. Before I started, I had mild-moderate acne. But it was embarrassing, because I would get big pustules or cysts sometimes and NOTHING was working. I finally went to a derm who I knew prescribed Spiro and she gave it to me right away. I started off on 50 mg, then increased to 100. It took maybe 2 months to kick in and then I was completely clear. I didn't get a single zit for a YEAR. That's amazing if you're an acne sufferer like me. I recently stopped taking it just to 'experiment' because I thought maybe I had just grown out of my acne by now. But my skin's been breaking out, so I guess it really was the Spiro working. I've started taking it again and am hoping it will work just as well. If you're a female and have tried nearly everything, I highly recommend Spiro. It's also decreased my oil production in my skin so I am not having to constantly blot my face.

by username2155 on 04/08/2015 20:40
Just curious: did you take spiro alone or with hormonal birth control? My new derm prescribed both, but will not renew the BC prescription -- which would require me to find a new primary care physician here. Just curious if the spiro is working well for you without hormonal bc.
Not sufficient alone for me but a very big help
Reviewed on January 3, 2015

I'm 30 y.o. female, had adult acne for at least 10 years but it got much worse the past 4 (grad school and moving to Louisiana climate probably didn't help). My mother had terrible acne until menopause and I was almost resigned to the same fate after spending thousands of dollars on all sorts of stuff over the years, including dermatologists, with no long-term solution. I've been on BC the whole itme which has helped minimally. I tried spiro alone for a month and saw some, but not much change. What finally worked for me has been topical tretinoin cream (1%, the strongest Rx), WITH spironolactone 100mg in the morning AND a long cycle of minacycline to clear up the rest after the initial breakout/adjustment period was over. During the 3 days before and 4 days after my period starts, I increase to 100mg in AM and 50mg PM. It took about 3-4 months to get to a clean slate but for then for the past 3 months I've finally reached a good maintenance period where I can even miss a day or two of my normal routine / meds and not have a problem- now just waiting for the scars to disappear. It used to be disaster if I so much as used a different face wash. An important note though: For 6 weeks I was taking 100 am plus 100 pm. When I went for lab check, my potassium was on the borderline level. I had eaten a persimmon the day before, which is high in potassium (I didn't realize this until I researched it after the lab results) but still, I want to reiterate the importance of lab checks until you get everything sorted out if your doctor recommends. Heart health > complexion. Anyway, I did notice diuretic effects the first week but after that either my body adjusted or I just stopped noticing the frequency of having to pee. I gained 1lb since starting it but I don't think that is due to the spiro. My breasts were a little tender at first and my husband said they were a little bigger but I can't tell. Def better to take in the AM than evening if you have a choice though because you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night unnecessarily to go to the restroom. At first, my face was embarrassingly dry but this was primarily due to the tretinoin and I knew I just had to suffer through it. Now that my skin has adjusted, another (what I consider huge) benefit of spiro is my hair is much less oily (as is my face). Before I had to wash it every 3 days; now I wash it every 7-8 (unless I sweat a lot, in which case I'm washing on principle, not b/c it's oily). I dread having to give spiro up if/when I get pregnant. You def need to maintain dr's supervision on this med though. This is a long review but hope the info is helpful!

by bm93 on 01/07/2015 04:51
Is retin-a the same as tretinon because im using retin a daily and spirono daily has made a huge chAnge still have 5 tiny bumps on face and alot of red and dark marks from post cystic acne dat cleared up..
Started 12/11/14
Reviewed on December 27, 2014

I quit taking Camrese BCP's about 4 months ago, and hormonal acne kicked in. I have cysts on the right and left side of my chin and pimples down my jawline/neck area, hairline, chest, and back. At first I continued to break out, but now on day 16 of Spiro, I am feeling like it may be getting better. I have noticed that my skin and hair is less oily than before Spiro. I did also notice the diuretic affect during the first 3 days. I will mention that my breasts seem to be fuller and softer. I stayed the same weight so far. My dermatologist told me to give it 2 months to see results. I am 38 year old female, 130 lbs. I will report back with an update.

by 1976SJG on 01/01/2015 14:50
1/1/15 - 21 Day Update: All existing cystic acne is almost gone, no new breakouts. No more diuretic affects to report. I think that higher androgens must have always been my problem. And all the gyno's all these years just wanted to put me on birth control pills to help with the acne, which increased my estrogen and made me gain weight and have migraines. I will continue taking the 2 each of 25 mg Spiro every night and report back in a few weeks.
by 1976SJG on 01/23/2015 16:54
1/23/15 - 43 Day Update: So far this has helped with my hormonal acne. But I am still breaking out on each side of my chin. Not as bad as before. I will wait till the 2 month mark but I plan on trying to get an increase to 75 mg instead og the 50 mg that I have been on. All side affects have diminished but still a lil more thirtsy than usual.
by 1976SJG on 02/11/2015 19:20
2/11/15 - 2 Month Update: Increased to 75 mg per night, started taking Camrese again for birth control, lost 6 lbs in 2 months, decreased sex drive, clear skin, thirsty, leg cramp when working out, bigger breasts. That is my report. I am going to stay on this drug, because the hormonal acne affected my self esteem too much. I hear working out increases libido so I will give that a try. :)
by 1976SJG on 07/23/2015 20:47
7/23/15 - UPDATE: Dry skin, low libido, and cellulite. Switched to Camrese Lo and decreased to 25 mg of Spiro. Hopefully I will remain clear without migraines and cellulite. I am hoping for my libido to increase as well.
not sure
Reviewed on December 30, 2014

48bf skeptical about taking spiro long term went 8 months using trin/1% anyone taken this at

this age

Initial Breakout: Not Worth It
Reviewed on December 25, 2014

Started taking 50 mg about a week ago. At first, nothing happened. Then I missed one dose and BOOM: my skin went nuts. I'm not sure if it's because I missed one dose or if this was the initial breakout kicking in. I've been taking for four days since and my skin's still bad. If this is the initial breakout, I'm not sure it's worth it.

by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:35
I had a terrible initial breakout too - in part due to tretinoin - but it was totally worth it in the end (even though for 2 - 3 weeks I cringed at even leaving the house).
by claire1030 on 01/18/2015 18:49
I know how you feel. I didn't actually have an initial breakout, but I had a really terrible one about 5 weeks in. I didn't want to leave the house, it was horrible. Try to stick it out for a bit if you can!
Feeling hopeful!!!
Reviewed on December 23, 2014

I just started taking Spironolactone 100mg. Last night was my first pill. I'm praying to god this works for me because I feel like I am out of options! I'm 31 years old and have been struggling with large cystic acne for the past 6 years. I always have at least 1-6 papules on my jaw and chin at a time. Constantly!! then of course, when they calm down, they leave a big red scar! I never had problems as a teenager so it was a complete shock to me that this would happen in my 20s. Why me?? It has completely destroyed my self confidence and my social life. I hate going out in public. I feel disgusting. Even makeup looks horrible because you can still see those areas. I'm just so done! My question is, am I going to have to take this medicine for the rest of my life? I was hoping to start having children (just got married) in a couple years and I know you absolutely cannot take this while pregnant. When I stop, is it just gonna come right back?

by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:40
It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I just posted a review above which might be helpful for you... I too am concerned about having kids but I think I'll just deal with it then. For a lot of my friends, their skin reversed during pregnancy - either they did not have acne before but then had terrible pregnancy acne, or vice versa. Same happened for my mother- she had bad adult acne but great skin when pregnant w/ me (she said). Then it got worse again after I was born. Not a big change in her skin when pregnant w/ my brother though- maybe b/c different hormone levels for girl vs boy? But I say stick with it and worry about the future when you get there. You're only pregnant for 9 mos and then +/- breastfeeding, then you can start it back if you want. Not that long in the big picture :) Maybe you'll find some topicals that help during pregnancy. I feel comfortable still using a very thin layer of tretinoin during pregnancy every other day or 3 days based on my research; just a thought.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:46
....also, re: makeup still looking horrible - I can totally relate. What I found finally worked the best with my acne as far as covering it was to use bare minerals primer over acne meds and under the foundation; then put concealer on top of that. And I carried concealer for touch ups during the day (and used qtips / fresh brushes so it would always be clean, not re-using same brush for makeup w/o cleaning between). I never knew primer would make such a difference - I was so glad I tried it. But didn't feel like my skin would breathe as well so tried not to use it all the time. Don't let acne ruin your social life and confidence - go all out on it for a few months and power through the terrible initial breakouts/dryness... it'll be worth it once you find what works. As you can see in my review above sprio alone was not enough and I have a very specific routine of cleansers, moisturizers, etc that I use. I really had almost given up on getting rid of my adult acne but finally, after a few especially terrible months, reached the other side. Good luck!!