Page 5 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1100 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

PATIENCE and this med does wonders
Reviewed on January 24, 2015

Background: 25 y/o female, have had hormonal acne issues since 22. Have had terrible self-esteem issues, also because I had NEVER had a pimple before 22! Literally. So having this acne has really put a damper on my confidence. I wait until my boyfriend goes to bed to take off my make up, and wake up before he does in the morning to put on make up (INSANE), and I have cancelled plans because of my skin, spent hours in front of the mirror, cried, etc. I haven't been able to leave the house without make up for three years. So I went to the dermatologist. Dermatologist prescribed minocycline which kept things manageable (not clear) for about a year. Then the minocycline appeared to stop working. Also have tried many topicals which never worked. Acanya is the only one I still sometimes use as a spot treatment. Went back to there dermatologist and it happened to be a new doctor who took one look at where my acne was on my face and prescribed spironolactone, telling me it was basically a miracle drug for people with my kind of acne.

So- I don't know how I feel yet because it hasn't been too much time, but will update this post... I have been on spironolactone for exactly 7 weeks. I was on 50mg but about 2 and a half weeks ago I was bumped up to 100mg. I currently take 100mg every morning. I hadn't seen any improvement at all...mainly just more clogged pores than I have ever had and still had new pimples all the time, especially when old ones cleared up... So I would get my hopes up and be let down again. Side effects have been minimal, mainly just drinking a lot more water & peeing a lot. Anyway, exactly 2 weeks after the dermatologist upped my dose I had a horrible break out. I read reviews and figured I was doomed for these breakouts for months, because thats how it seems to be for those that it doesn't work for quickly. I cried over the initial breakout and thought it would never end...meanwhile only a couple days later it SEEMS to be clearing up, but of course this may jinx it. I'm hoping this was it for the initial breakout and things will be good from here. Fingers crossed!!! I have HIGH hopes for this med. It just feels like it will work for me because I KNOW I have hormonal acne.

8 weeks- face is clear!!! only one small bump. fingers crossed that this won't jinx it but I had to update for anyone out there wondering if the initial break out ever hair is getting healthy too, and my hair felt so gross for about 7 weeks being on this med at first. I'm glad that didn't stick around because it would have possibly been a deal breaker for this med. So I'm very happy with the results right now...will update with any changes... now time to clear these old scars up.

Exactly three months in...

I STILL get acne. I would still say my skin is better than it was but I was expecting more from this med. Maybe it was retin-a I was trying to use to clear up my scars. So I stopped that and seeing If my skin clears. These acne marks are also driving me crazy. they take a long time to fade...

by bm93 on 02/04/2015 02:24
What are you using to clear up post acne marks? Because spironolactone has cleared up my acne n cysts but im struggling with dark marks n red marks which makes it look like i still have acne when i actually dont..
by Leltb on 03/01/2015 16:41
I've been using rose hip oil which helps slowly. Seeing my Derm soon and may ask about other methods but most seem too harsh for my skin and I break out. Such as retin-a and vitamin c oil.
by moondrop on 03/12/2015 07:00
I'm on 150mg and that made a HUGE difference between 100mg and 150. I would like to go back down eventually- not having any side effects, that's just a lot to be taking daily. I have been using Epiduo for clearing acne marks and it's working really well. I also use honey once in a while. Get the good local stuff- some of the big brands are shipped in from China has tons of chemicals, you don't want that on your face. Ziana clears up ance really well for me, but Epiduo does a great job with scars. The honey was just something I read online, but it does seem to brighten my skin so I'm still using it.
Doesn't do anything
Reviewed on February 28, 2015

I used to take TriNessa (norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol tablets) for a very long time, until I realized it was giving me cystic acne during certain weeks of the month, there'd also been a week, when I felt absolutely miserable, so sad for no reason, I'd just start crying and wouldn't be able to stop. I never drew a connection betw. those symptoms and TriNessa. I went to a different obgyn, she told me, it must be because TriNessa has different level of hormones for each week of the month - so I'd experience all those crazy fluctuations all the time. She prescribed me Microgestin 1/20 tabs 21 green, which has 3 weeks worth of, so to say, the same level of hormones. The cystic acne hasn't really bothered me since, mood swings've been better, but I didn't stop breaking out every month, which is driving me crazy. I went to a dermatologist. She prescribed me Aczone 5% gel 90gm as topical and Spironolactone 100mg a day. She told me to try Spironolactone for a couple of months to see, if it works and if it doesn't, she said there were other pills she could give me. I've been taking Spironolactone 100mg for 2 months already. It doesn't seem to do anything at all!! It's very frustrating! I'm thinking, I need to go back to the dr. and try different meds. Btw, I don't feel any side effects from Spironolactone whatsoever. But it doesn't seem to do any good either. Maybe I should double my dose, I've read that u can take up to 200mg or maybe I should switch b. control again. I don't know what to do.. And the truth is, all the doctors I've ever seen don't know either!! They just offer me meds to try from their list and see how I feel. That's exactly what they say! Aczone 5% gel was $60 with my insurance and I can't say it worked wonders for me. I also tried Epiduo (adapalene and benzoyl peroxide) gel 0.1%/ 2.5% - another prescription topical. It's pretty good at drying up zits, but not the answer.

I also went to an endocrinologist and had my hormone level checked, it's totally normal! I'm 27 now

by Klrlove on 03/11/2015 20:41
Because of hormonal imbalances such as low progesterone( which is my problem) sometimes the skin follicle itself will produce extra testosterone. Research shows this to be true. Therefore you maybe need to have a little bit of patience with this drug as 100mg usually works well for people but it takes months to see the results :) hang in there. Fyi they never check progesterone only testosterone and estrogen. Also as with my experiences I was on Dianne 35. Horrible drug for my mood swings I went crazy but it did cure my oilynees , that is untill I ate diary. And my skin would go all red and irritated and oily the next day. I quit the pill and I kept staying away from diary and only after cutting all diary I mean butter EVEYTHING:( did my acne finally respond to topical treatements. Hope this helps :)
by moondrop on 03/12/2015 07:03
150mg is the magic dose for me. Ask for Epiduo for scars, Ziana for acne as topical treatment. They will probably be $60, but it will last a while and is worth it. The Ziana also has prescription level retinol, which is the only ingredient out there that actually helps with anti-aging. It's a bonus.
I Love Spiro!
Reviewed on February 27, 2015

Hello Everyone,

I started Spiro three months ago, prescribed by my dermatologist for androgentic alopecia. I'm 59 years of age and had been losing my hair for four years with an accelerations when I had my last period at age 56. All of my bald spots have filled in or are beginning to fill in, with very grey hair and I don't care. I began dying my hair when I was 28 when grey first appeared. I am so thankful to have signs of hair growing and the fact that it's grey is insignificant.

However, what I am nost surprised to see is that once again, I my face is once again showing its dewy side. The last time I glowed naturally this way, I was still having my menstraul cycles. My complexion is awesome and a very pleasant side affect of taking spiro.

by HayleeG on 02/27/2015 11:29
I'm so happy its helping you. I was wondering what your dosage is for preventing hair loss.
Give it time!
Reviewed on February 25, 2015

Hello! So I've never posted before but after being on Spironolactone, I have to share my story.

I have had very mild acne since I was a teenager. Pimples on my forehead and chin and around my hairline, but nothing too horrible. To manage it, I used a Clean and Clear Blackhead clearing scrub along with Zap Zit on my hairline and had clear skin from about 17-24. When I was 24, I went on the pill (a generic brand, can't remember) and a month after using the pill my periods became really irregular for the first time in my life and I started to get deep, painful cysts on my chin and back. I'd never experienced this before and thought I wasn't using the right face wash and that my face had changed, so I tried a new face wash and nothing. I continued to to take the pill for six months and started to see inflamed, red cysts on my chin and cheek area and transitioned through MULTIPLE face washes, creams, whatever to try and get back to my normal routine but nothing worked. I was frustrated by my decision to take the pill, as I normally am someone who doesn't like to take any medicine at all, so I got off the pill, convinced it had changed my hormonal levels for the worse. Going off the pill helped a tiny bit for a few months, but the cysts persisted. I tried natural methods, like ACV and coconut oil, but the ACV just caused my skin to become inflamed. The ACV did bring the cysts to a head quicker, but it also seemed to cause them to scar. I would also ingest the ACV and that helped with gut regularity, but nothing on the skin. I had never been to the dermatologist before (never needed to) but in September 2014, 15 months after being on the pill and 9 months of being off the pill and trying natural treatments, I felt I needed to see a doctor. I explained my story to my dermatologist, one of the best dermatologists in Utah, and he said right away that it was hormonal acne. He gave me two options, Accutane or Spironolactone. The effects of Accutane lasted longer, but seemed more dangerous and invasive, so I decided to use Spironolactone. In September 2014, I started at 50 mg/day for 1 week, bumped up to 75/mg for two weeks and by the 4th week was on 100 mg/day, my daily dosage since October 2014-February 2015 (present). I'M SO GLAD I DID! The first month was a little tough, I broke out badly on my cheeks, but after 4 weeks, the cysts on my chin started to clear and by November 2014 I was completely clear, with no new cysts. It took only TWO MONTHS. I am still dealing with the scarring, but even that is fading away over time. I had some minor irregularity in my period (it was shortened by a few days), but now have a normal period every 28 days, with no spotting or bleeding in between (nothing like the irregularity of being on the pill). I also didn't deal with any headaches, thirst or fatigue and visited the bathroom a normal number of times for someone who drinks a lot of water during the day. Now I remove my makeup with Simple makeup remover wipes at night and that is IT (I use liquid Bare Minerals to cover the scarring) and I just wash my face with water in the morning. No face wash needed. I use lavender oil mixed into normal SPF face lotion to wear under my makeup during the day and then use straight avocado oil at night, nothing else. I am so happy with Spironolactone. Though I know that if I go off Spironolactone, the cysts may come back, I'm happy taking the medicine that doesn't alter my hormones in a negative way (like the pill did) and I don't have to use harsh washes on my face. As of February 2015, my routine is now fairly natural and uncomplicated, back to where it used to be. Try Spironolactone, give it time and be gentle with your skin (slowly phase out harsh washes and topicals). Like me, you'll be glad you gave it a try!

Mild Improvement
Reviewed on February 24, 2015

I have been on 50mg of Spiro for 9 weeks with some improvement. I have my period every 10 days and refuse to take hormonal birth control to "regulate" my cycle. I also use .05 Tretinoin to topically address the existing acne and hyperpigmentation. I do have true acne scarring as well (depressed marks).

I have not lost or gained weight or noticed a diuretic effect from the meds. The only indication that I'm taking it is my crazy irregular periods which I'm not sure how to correct. If any one has any suggestions about this other then bc (I use the copper iud) please share! Good luck everyone!

seeking answers
Reviewed on November 28, 2014

Im posting this, much less as a review and more so for answers and support. I have been on spironolactone for 3 months in total. For the first 6 weeks i was on 50mg, and since january 8th, I have been on 100mg. And continuously throughout this entire 3 months I have been breaking out worse than ever. I keep sticking it out because I kept hoping that the next month would bring clear skin, but as I hit exactly 3 months on this medicine, I am extremely depressed because three months ago I got myself through the hard times by saying "middle of february and I'll be clear" and here I am sobbing every few hours over the tragedy on my face (I had to go get 8 lesions injected today, and have had 2 more pop up in the 12 hours since). I'm just wondering if this is still a result of an IB from upping my dosage to 100mg (although that was over a month ago) and if so, is it only once I've been on this final dose for a full 3 months that I might see results? And I was also wondering if people saw gradual improvements over time, or if pimples just stopped appearing all at once at a certain point. Any tips/advice/your own stories would be so appreciated. I need some hope

by gmailgrl on 12/05/2014 04:11
Took me 6 months, I know how it feels but trust me, my face and back have never looked this great!
by jasminevt on 03/21/2015 02:34
I've been on Spiro for 5 weeks and i'm breaking out worse than ever. Did you get good results? If yes, when did you start to see big improvement?
So Far So Good
Reviewed on February 19, 2015

I am a 20 year old woman. I had pretty decent skin in my teenage years with only a few breakouts from time to time. Starting about a year ago, I noticed that I would get one or two moderate sized cysts on my forehead every now and then. they were more stubborn and would leave hyperpigmentation scars. Then, this past August, I began to see many tiny bumps form on my chin by my jawline and on my cheeks. They were under the skin and so I didn't bother about them until slowly but surely, each tiny bump would expand into a large cyst. I wondered if this was due to stress from studying for the MCAT or schoolwork. I would lose a good amount of hair every day as well and this was frustrating to me. TMI warning: the cysts were not like typical whiteheads but rather had hard, white colored oil "chunks" inside and they would hurt when the cyst burst or when I tried to rupture them. The cyst would then disappear but only after it had burst and the strange white oil bit was gone. Meanwhile, the cysts left dark hyperpigmentation marks on my skin.

In the past, derms had put me on doxycycline mono and topical creams and washes but they did nothing for me. About a week after I started 100 mg of spiro a day, I noticed maybe 4 or 5 cyst breakouts that went away within a week and left scars. After that, I have noticed NO new formations of those tiny bumps that eventually become horrendous cysts. ZERO FORMATIONS. This is very new for me and I am extremely excited. I am now on my 4th week of spiro and after that initial breakout, I have had skin clear of breakouts. That being said, I am still left with hyperpigmentation scars for which I use Epiduo religiously and that seems to be working in lightening them up. My hair fall has reduced SIGNIFICANTLY which leads me to believe my adult acne was caused by hyperandrogenism or having too much testosterone. Apparently these hormonal imbalances can happen to young women (so unfair, isn't it?).

I would like to see myself with my teenage skin back in the next three months so I'll followup at that point but for now I am very happy. Yes, I no longer have that flowing hair and flawless skin that I used have but I think after suffering with something for months and finally getting a break like this -- I am very thankful. My self confidence has improved significantly and I am thrilled.

Side effects: I have experienced NO weight gain or weight loss. I do get dizzy but I drink lots of water to prevent that from happening. My breasts do feel tender but there has been no increase in cup size as some other users have mentioned. Finally, my menstrual cycle is absolutely normal.

Life changer
Reviewed on February 14, 2015

I never post on public forums like this but given my situation, I felt obligated to do so. I am a 32 year old female who has had acne, in some shape or form, for over 20 years. I would describe my acne as moderate to, at times, severe. I have seen a dermatologist since I was 12 and have been on pretty much every acne treatment available (with the exception of Accutane): topical and oral antibiotics, retin-a, tazorac, aczone, birth control, etc. I think about my acne every day (it's hard to forget about your acne when your face is covered with painful cysts and scars.) A few months ago, my regular dermatologist informed me that she is leaving the hospital in Massachusetts I was seeing her at and moving back to California. I therefore searched far and wide for a new doctor and after a 6 month waiting period, I was able to secure an appointment with a new doctor. Within 30 seconds of meeting me she said "Your acne is hormonal. It's located primarily on your cheeks and jawline." She then suggested spiro (and recommended I continue using Differin which has, I must admit, unclogged a lot of my pores; granted it took about 6-8 months to see noticeable results with that drug. Note, however, that Differin didn't stop the formation of acne but rather cleared out my pores.) Back to spiro... The doctor gave me 25 mg to take twice a day. Within a week, I stopped getting acne. A week! (The doctor said it would take 6 weeks to see results). I wake up in the morning and expect to see new acne formations: none! I touch my skin and it is smooth. I honestly cannot believe it. You spend 20 years living with acne, hiding the outbreaks and scars with makeup, canceling plans and avoiding places with bright lights due to self consciousness and then one day, it goes away completely. I have been on spiro for two weeks now and have had no new outbreaks so I have my fingers crossed that I have finally found my wonder drug. I truly wish I knew about this drug sooner because I, quite frankly, avoided "living" because I was so embarrassed about my skin. If you have acne around your jawline and cheeks, ask your dermatologist about this drug. It has changed my life and I hope it can change yours too.

by calcium3 on 02/18/2015 00:24
I am located in Boston too- who was/ is your dermatologist? Thanks for sharing!
by Angelacpa on 02/18/2015 02:04
Dr. Lindsay Eminger is my new dermatologist but she is located on the South Shore (Easton). Well worth the commute. She takes the time to walk through your concerns, different treatment options, etc. I like her a lot,
by Angelacpa on 03/14/2015 01:01
Update: I have been on Spiro for two months. 99% of my clogged pores have disappeared. I have had maybe 2-3 small zits that cleared up in a day around my time of month. No other breakouts. No side effects (blood pressure and potassium levels are normal), with the exception of being thirsty a lot. It is a weird experience waking up with clear skin and not dreading looking in the mirror. I have started to go out more and experience life. Next steps: laser treatments to minimize the acne scarring that has accumulated over 20 years.
by Angelacpa on 03/14/2015 01:01
So thirsty!
Reviewed on February 3, 2015

Background info:

I starting getting acne when I was 16 years old (Currently 23). All through my teens it was mostly little zits all over my forehead and chin. I started birth control that year to keep control of my acne but it only did so much. The next couple years I switched birth controls twice and literally tried every over-the-counter topical treatments and wash, along with 3 other topical treatments from the dermatologist (Aczone, Tazorac, etc.). NOTHING HELPED. All those topical treatments would do was dry out my face and then I would break out even more. I became so frustrated and gave up. I figured through high school and college it was semi-normal to have bad acne and thought it would go away as I matured. Nope, not the case....around age 20 just when I thought my acne was going away naturally my face blew up with cysts. The acne "moved" from my forehead/chin to my cheeks and instead of little zits they were deep cysts, sometimes painful to touch. It has been awful. I haven't been able to leave the house without makeup for over 5 years (which really sucks as an athletic person, I workout everyday). I workout daily, drink a lot of water and have a balanced diet. I came to the conclusion this is 100% hormonal acne. I decided to see a dermatologist and went it determined to start Accutane. She thought it would be better to try something else and less harsh on my body.

I started this med on 12/29/2014 along with a topical cream from my dermatologists (Going on my 5th week). The first couple weeks I didn't notice much. My pores were shrinking slightly and I noticed a decreased size in my normal cysts. I was breaking out more (the cysts were just smaller in clusters) but it hasn't bothered me that much because hey, I have acne, it's normal for me, right? Going into my 5th week I'm starting to see slightly less acne. I'm wondering if it comes and goes for awhile before it really gets better. The most noticeable side effect is INCREASED THIRST which in turn requires me to go to the bathroom every 30 min. I am SO thirsty all the time. I have already drank 3 large water bottles before 9am today and am still thirsty. Other than that, I haven't noticed any other side effects.

Bottom line:

It seems to be working and I have a lot of hope for this medication. If you haven't tried any hormonal pill treatment, I highly recommended seeing a dermatologists. I should have went on this 3 years ago and now I am stuck with ugly scars on my cheeks. Once the acne dies down a bit I'm going to start using chemical peels to help with the acne scar resurfacing. I'm also thinking I might cut diary out of my diet because I love milk, cheeses, yogurt, etc.

I'll update this post in a few weeks to really share the results. Good luck! Thanks everyone for the encouraging process!

by soozie123 on 02/11/2015 04:49
What topical cream are you using along with this medication?
Miracle pill!
Reviewed on January 23, 2015

As a teenager I had issues where I needed to be put on birth control, which in turn cleared up my mild acne. The birth control worked for a few years, then at 22 my acne went crazy. It was worse than I had ever had it before. It mainly consisted of painful cysts that stuck around for weeks. After trying topical medications and different face wash regimens, along with new birth control, I still had no luck. I was starting to have other symptoms that I attributed to having a hormonal imbalance, and it was then that I decided to see a hormone specialist. The dr. prescribed me 100mg spironolactone daily and a low dose birth control. This was in April of 2014. I will admit that the initial breakout with this medication was severe and difficult to deal with. It left me in tears and I almost quit taking it. I am so glad that I stuck with it. After being on spiro for a few months I already saw amazing results. It took about 6 months or so to see the full results, and since then my skin has been 100% clear, and I don't have to worry about waking up with new acne on my face. I still have some dark spots and scars, but through exfoliation even those are starting to fade. I am so thankful for this drug!

by sladnacne on 02/11/2015 19:12
At what point did you start to see an improvement? And was it gradual or did it happen all at once?