Page 5 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1086 reviews
Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

7 months and I still have acne :(
Reviewed on December 14, 2014

I started spironolactone 7 months ago and I still have acne. I started taking it in May 2014 50mg a day. I have NOT seen any improvement, my acne just stayed the same. Big red and inflamed, all over my neck and chin really bad (that is normal for me). Last month my doctor upped my dosage to 100mg a day still no improvement. He said I need to come back and see him in February. I can't believe that is medicine isn't working for me. All the other reviews I've read are so positive and people are so happy. Should I keep taking it for another two months and just keep my fingers crossed or should I just give up and face the fact that this medicine just isn't for me? I'm so disappointed I had the highest hopes for this to work for me. I am a 32 year old woman with acne and I feel like I just wasted 7 months on this medicine. I am really sad but I'm am glad that others are seeing the results I wished I could of had.

by bm93 on 12/14/2014 06:54
There is a review down here where a someone started seeing results at 8months so I say hang in there give it another 2months andif nnot talk to ur dr ,stay patient!
by acnebegone82 on 12/14/2014 21:33
Thanks, I will hang in there for another 2 months. Fingers crossed!
by 1976SJG on 01/01/2015 14:58
Do you take it at night? Also do you take with a full bottle of water? I also limit my caffeine and sugar since I have noticed that I breakout more when consuming high amounts.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:47
You might also consider supplementing it with other stuff. Spiro alone was not enough for me but in combination with other stuff is a necessary component.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:48
(by other stuff I mean like for me I used minacycline for a bit and when I can feel a cyst occasionally thinking about popping up; also i use tretinoin (in pm) and benzyol peroxide (in am). Also keep my hair in satin hair wrap at night to keep oil from getting on my pillow.
by carolz on 01/05/2015 22:00
If you are using generic spiro get it from Amneal ask your pharmacist. I had the same thing happen it didn't work and then I found out that certain generic brands are better for acne because spiro is a heart medication and its use for acne is what they call off brand meaning it is more consistent for heart issues than acne. Also do a search for best generic company for spiro for acne and other manufacturers will be listed. My doctor did not know about this until I told him so you have to do your own research. Good Luck
by WJA1991 on 01/08/2015 04:32
maybe you have a food allergy which might triggering your acne? I find that alcohol gives me horrific cysts. Try altering your lifestyle and see if that makes a difference. I also tried DIM supplements which helped my hormonal acne. good luck!
The BEST decision I have EVER MADE!!!
Reviewed on December 13, 2014

Spironolactone: this medicine is the best decision I have EVER made. And I promise, I am not someone that had 2 zits on my face and was upset... I was someone that had large inflamed, painful, hormonal acne constantly all over especially my lower and middle cheeks (12+ zits constantly.) It was awful and I of course have bad red mark scarring everywhere, BUT this medicine has made me ACNE FREE! I started this medicine in mid August 2014 and now it is mid December 2014 and my face is wonderful (besides of course for the scars)

I had always suffered from acne in high school, but once I became a freshman in college my acne was out of control. The zits became larger and were spreading like wildfire. This of course continued and got worse though my second year of college. I am now a junior and this fall semester I started this medicine and I am a new and more confident person that doesn't stare at the mirror in despair crying and wishing it would all disappear. If you are a female, please please consider taking this medicine. I had taken blood tests to test my hormone levels, and the results were pretty much normal, but that did not mean my acne was not hormonal because mine sure as hell was and was awful. So please! Try this!!! I am on 50mg twice a day. I have had no side effects, besides wonderful and clear skin.

P.S. If I could attach pictures of my previous horrendous acne I so would, but sadly that is not an option!

Also, if you would like to read a really great clinical study all about this medicine here it is! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315877/

by momobabyx3 on 12/19/2014 04:02
What did you use in combination? Like face wash?
by carlitabohemia on 02/02/2015 14:13
This medicine has been a miracle for me too. I suffer from Perimenopause, ugh! I'm going on 9 years now, but Spironolactone has improved everything. Not only did it clear up the cystic acne, but the diaretic has removed all of the swelling, painful breasts, and irritability. It is doing so well for me that I just quit taking my birth control pills. A note on your scarring, you can try the derma roller on amazon. It is a roller with tiny needles that retexture your skin surface. You do it at home, when you have the time to do it. It works amazingly for acne scarring. Thanks for the clinical study link!
life changer
Reviewed on December 12, 2014

im not kidding to whoever is reading this... please just take it. It has changed my life completely. Im 19 years old female in college. Heres my story: ever since 6th grade I've had a pimple here and there. Then freshmen year in high school BOOM acne all over my face mostly my forehead area and chin, never on my cheeks. I have tried everything in this world you can name from laser treatments topical gels to switching my birth control around like crazy. Even changing my flipping diet!!! Every dermatologist just threw prescriptions at me and honestly i did not what to go out in the world and would cry all day because of it. Worst feeling imaginable. Well i tried a new birth control and things calmed down again but then freshmen year in college the acne hit me all at once. When I'm meeting new people i as afraid they were staring at my face. Lack of sleep, poor diet, and stress I'm sure had an effect but then i was like f it I'm going to a top notch dermatologist. I went all the way to boston and she was the sweetest, nicest and down to earth dermatologist i have EVER met. She was like girl we are getting rid of this and prescribed me spironolactone( she even takes it herself). i have been on it for 3 months and my skin is completely acne free. I have some spots from sun and acne but they are slowly fading and i could not be happier. Please if your a girl struggling just get on this!!! also I'm using differin 0.3 gel to help cell turnover which helps so much. Sorry this was long but y'all needed to hear it!!!!

by CHoadley on 12/12/2014 19:36
also i have been off my birth control for a month due to no sex drive.. i give up on birth control anyone have a good one?!
by bm93 on 12/13/2014 19:10
im on ortho tricylen lo and spironolactone 50mg a day..its so good to hear that it cleared your skin it gives me hope that mines will too!!!
by jasminevt on 02/21/2015 22:27
Did you have a initial breakout? If yes, for how long?
You need a lot of PATIENCE with spironolactone!
Reviewed on December 11, 2014

This medication takes a bit of time to work. for me personally it started to kick in fully at 8 months. I had absolutely no break outs by the 8th month. for some people they see full on results between 3-6mothns. This medications works for hormonal acne but you need a lot of patience with it , Do not give up ! Give it up to 8months to see if you see a change in your acne. Another thing is you must drink lots of Water ,you must train your body to love water.

My dosage was started at 100mg then upped to 150mg a day around month 4,

I also got on Yaz birth control once I started spironolactone.

For topical I was prescribed fiancea to fade my acne hyper pigmentation , and to spot treat my acne.

by LRH714 on 12/11/2014 20:37
What was the process for getting a prescription for spiro? Did you have to do any initial testing or bloodwork? Have you had to do any since? Also, did you get this from a dermatologist or your general practitioner/OBGYN?
by bm93 on 12/12/2014 05:16
You can get it prescribed by a dermatologist
by Sgala3 on 12/26/2014 19:50
I got my prescriptions from my dermatologist and also yes I do get my potassium levels checked regularly
25 with moderate to severe cystic acne
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

I have been using 100 mg of sprinolactone for 14 weeks and I couldn't be happier with the results. I use it in conjunction with birth control and Aczone. I have had mild acne on and off since I was a teenager but over the past 2 years it developed into moderate and at times severe cystic acne with my skin not being clear for months at a time. I had tried everything else, antibiotics, topical creams, etc. and nothing was working. After starting spironolactone I slowly saw results but did have a cluster breakout of pimples on my cheeks about once every 3 weeks at the beginning. However, my skin has been clear for the past month and I keep telling my sisters who suffer from the same kind of acne as me to get a prescription! No major side effects except for feeling dizzy when I get up sometimes if I am dehydrated. Stick with it, it's worth it!

by bm93 on 12/20/2014 21:56
What do you use for face wash and mosturizer?
Starting this treatment next week
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

**will keep updating as I go**

I will be getting married in 9 months. That being said I'm hopeful that'll give my skin enough time to a just to this medication.

when i was in my teens (14) i started suffering from acne. i mostly had it in my T-zone with the occasional cystic out breaks on my forehead. at the time my reg. doc gave me a scrip for Duac. this ended up being the wonder drug for me! after being on it for two years, i noticed i had "grown out" of my out breaks and was easily treated with otc so i stopped taking the duac.

Fwd to around 20 and i was getting more mild out breaks around my cheek area, my doc then decided it was hormonal and put me on a low dose Birth control pill to balance me. This set my skin over the edge! I've never been so badly and painfully broken out in my cheeks while on the pill. I had black heads, white heads, and cystic acne. I was on the pill for 3 months trying to give it a chance. i couldn't take it and stopped taking it. i then requested to be put back on the duac. unfortunately, duac isn't working as well as it did. it cleared up the black heads and the white heads about 85%, but not the cystic. my cheeks are starting to get a couple of "pits" and its depressing to look at. no amount of make-up will hide them... on top of it my skin has been very oily and my pores are enlarged. reading other reviews on this drug is giving me hope. most everyone else who is posting reviews on this, were having the same problems. my acne isn't as bad as most. i usually have around 2-3 cysts in my cheeks, the duac is keeping the white heads at bay. the cysts come around 1.5 weeks before my period and then finally subside after. then i'm for the most part "clear" of the cysts for about a week or so, till the cycle starts again. I'm nerves about the huge out break everyone describes, but I'm hopeful by summer my skin will finally be clear and i don't have to worry about doing a full face of make up any more.

Hey I updated my review! So happy!
Reviewed on August 30, 2014

08/30/2014

I am 25 years old, and when I was sixteen I got bad acne on my back. Went to the dermatologist, and it cleared right up. Then after that I was fine, no real problems. Then I hit 22, my acne is not awful, its moderate. It feels awful though. I always pick at them I can't help it. So at 22, I was put on birth control to help, and antibiotics, then retin-a. I read it can take up to a year to work, I used it off and on for the first year, then I decided to get serious so I used it religiously, nine months go by and no change. I get maybe four days out of the month with clear skin. I noticed it got really bad the week before my period, and during. I changed my dermatologist about a month ago. I told my new doctor that I felt like my old doctor would just put me on a different antibiotic at a higher dose, and never really asked my too many questions. He said he didn't understand why I was on retina, because he said it was for smaller pimples, and black heads. He prescribed spironolactone, because my acne was is the right place as hormonal acne, and it corresponded with my period. I am already on birth control, so he said to stay on it. He also paired it with minocycline antibiotic to help with the initial breakout. He told me the first week to do 1-2 25 mg pills a day of sprinolactone, then the next week up it to 2-3 pils, then the final week to take 4 pills, so 100 mg. He left it up to my to decide what dose my skin responds to the best. I am on the first day of the 100 mg week. I am still in the breakout stage, which isn't any worse then one of my bad breakouts. I am really hopeful about this. He told me to come back in November to check in, and see if it was working. I will update my post then. This dermatologist was much more attentive.

They that was three months ago above ^^^^^^^^^^

I am updating my review. Going from 3 to 5 stars. 12/08/2014

If you want my acne background scroll down to the August posts, and there it is. I have been on Spironolactone for three month's. I see a huge difference. My acne corresponds with my period. Last month there was still a breakout the week before my period started. This month nothing, no big breakout. My dermatologist wanted to be proactive so he wanted to do another check up 3 months after I started. Which was around my last period. Which was before thanksgiving. I still had a breakout going on when I went to see him. So he added a topical creme, to my birth control, and Spironolactone. I don't know if the spiro kicked in, or the topical put me over the top. Its probably a combination of both. My skin has been clear for three weeks now. Which is unusual for me. I only have moderate acne, but I still got pimples every week. Nothing since I started the topical. Its called AcZone, apparently is pretty expensive if you don't have insurance. My insurance covered the whole cost though. When I tried to fill it at the pharmacy, the girl said the insurance won't let me fill it, because they want to see I had tried other topical's. So she called the insurance and ask them to override it , because I had tried other things. It took only about ten minutes. I am pretty sure all three things I am on has helped me become totally clear. The birth control, and spiro helped the hormones. So that treated what was wrong on the inside, then the AcZone just put me over the top. I would recommend all three to you guys if your breakouts correspond with your period hormones! Birth control was free with insurance, AcZone was free with insurance if you have met your deductible, and I think spiro was 5 to 10 dollars with insurance! Oh and I didn't experience any of the negative symptoms on Spiro that some people have. No tiredness, no dizziness, or I have read some of you have had weight gain? I haven't gained a pound. I am really lucky, because I know all our bodies are different, and respond to things in different ways. It also only took 3 months to kick in for me, that might be because the other stuff helped too.

by Chelseakayheaton on 08/30/2014 01:02
I have never tried accutuane, because its scary, and I don't have severve acne, just moderate. I am really hoping this solves my skin issues. I also tried all natural things like taking a supplement, eating better, and having a strict face washing schedule. My problem was obviously deeper then superficial causes. Topical's didn't really work all that well for me.
by ang9243 on 08/30/2014 21:06
You have to keep taking it faithfully and you will see results, but you must be patient. Honestly, patience is the important thing here. I've been on Spironolactone for 17 months now and I have seen and still great results. I can't feel any better the side effects are totally worth it.
Feeling like a walking dead
Reviewed on December 4, 2014

Background: PCOS, so hormonal acne for 100%

Have read almost every post and review about spiro on this forum, so the sane me know sometimes spiro can be slow. But going through all these I can bearly think rationally.

2 mo ago I went on spironolactone, 50mg per day. Stopped getting blemishes for 5days but then broke out again. Stayed at 50mg for 3 weeks and got bumped up to 75mg. Stayed clear for 3 days but broke out persistently again. One week later got upped to 100mg. Stayed clear for 3 weeks and I genuiely thought this years long nightmare is over. BAM breaking out nastily again. Today marks 2mo starting spiro and 3weeks on 100mg. New ugly spot every day. My skin problem is consuming my life. And I cant imagine how I would really have clear skin one day.

Still hopeful
Reviewed on December 5, 2014

Going to give it 3 stars because I want to be hopeful! Ever since starting the Spironolactone, it seems to just keep getting worse and worse. Now huge cystic acne under the skin and it's getting red, and seems more irritated. I will keep holding out, because I know it's all hormonal. I don't think my period helps when it's that time of month. However, I really am getting depressed over it, and want to cry. My kids want to go out and play, I don't want to go do anything. I'm getting so sad, I feel so ugly. The package says to drink alot of water, and I have been to see if it helps. NOTHING IS WORKING. Anyone else have any hope? I started the pill on November 17th, 2014. I'm now learning, from reading different reviews it's going to get worse before it gets better. This is just disheartening, however hopeful all at the same time. I don't know how to feel. I'm really upset about it, and cry everytime I feel how bad my face is.

Hope this all pans out, and I don't have to wear makeup anymore.

by gmailgrl on 12/05/2014 04:08
Took 6 months before I saw the difference. was well worth it tho!
by Charnick on 12/07/2014 12:30
I have been on on several years now with great success. It took 4 months before everything finally cleared up. 50 mg 2 x daily. My Dr. told me it would take several months, well worth the wait!
by sladnacne on 12/08/2014 22:07
I started mine on November 22 and am going through the same thing. Even though my acne has been this bad in the past, it hasn't gotten this bad in a while and is a very sobering reality to deal with. Everyday is an emotional struggle to not let my skin bring me down and maintain hope that one day it'll be better, but I can only describe how I feel when I look in the mirror as painful. I have started to notice that if a pimple appears and I don't try to pop it like I always do, that it disappears more quickly than in the past. This is giving me SOME hope. Everyday is hard just to get up and go through the painstaking process of trying to treat and cover existing pimples while trying to cover old ones. I would give my right arm for this all to be over without having to wait out these painful few months
Hopeful
Reviewed on November 22, 2014

I have never posted on here before but feel like I am at the point to do so. I am 29 years old and battling with hormonal acne since I was 12. As we all know, it can really take a toll on your self confidence and it has made me so insecure over the years. I have tried numerous things along with everyone else and in the past Proactiv worked for me but now makes me skin burn and no longer works. Birth control also helped me but I stopped taking it when it was getting too expensive. About 6 months after I stopped my face started breaking out like crazy possibly worse than I can remember. I tried clarisonic, multiple cleansers, to no success. I finally broke down and went to the dermatologist hoping for a cure and interested in Spironolactone because of all the good reviews. She started me on Spiro 50 mg for one week then bumped me up to 100 mg daily and it has only been 2 and a half weeks since I have been on it. I am also on Atralin gel at night and Aczone in the morning. I feel like my skin is very slowly improving but it is hard to tell and I know it takes time with this medicine so I will continue to be patient. I hope for the day I can wake up and see no acne looking back at me. I seem to tolerate the medicine okay so far with no crazy side effects.

by KCsr2 on 01/06/2015 14:20
Wanted to update my review as I know the importance of that from reading everyone else's... I have now been on Spironolactone 100 mg for 9 weeks. I went to a recheck last week and at that time my skin still seemed awful, I couldn't tell if it had improved much or not. I could tell there was much less oil as I used to use oil blotters before on a daily basis and now hardly ever have to reach for them. About one month ago, I started up birth control again- Lo Loestrin Fe, due to having a period every other week from Spiro. I also have cut out coffee a few weeks ago, and recently have stopped dairy as well as I seemed to notice new pimples daily after a heavy pizza weekend. After meeting again with my dermatologist which was an early recheck, I got my potassium levels checked and discussed with her to stay on the Spiro at the same dose, but also was given Omnicef, an antibiotic to help with the inflammatory lesions. She also re-emphasized the importance of retin-a gel at night and aczone in the morning which I had started to use sparingly due to my skin drying. I started that up again and switched to Veltin which is a less harsh retin-a that also has Clindamycin in it. Somehow, the consistency of this combination and my current medicines have led me to see great improvement in this past week. My face is getting more smooth and pimples that were lasting for weeks are starting to fade. I am hopeful that this is not temporary and will continue to improve and get better and better until I am completely clear. Prayers and thoughts with all of you going through the same thing! It is a mental condition for me as it has affected so much of my life and I can't wait for us all to be confident in the near future. I will continue to provide updates.
by KCsr2 on 02/01/2015 22:04
12 week update! My skin is looking better and better. It is so much more noticeably smooth when I wash my face. I have a few pimples but all of the others are fading thus I have red marks that last forever but makeup helps hide them. I am feeling more confident and hoping for continued improvement. Quality of life is improving too! I am also still on antibiotics and topical creams as mentioned in previous post. My only concern is every once in awhile I am experiencing heart palpitations, could definitely be stress related but it scares me because of the concern for hyperkalemia and low blood pressure. My potassium levels were normal a few weeks ago though. Anyone else experience these? I pray for continued clearing of my skin!
by KCsr2 on 03/08/2015 23:45
I'm past 4 months now and feeling great! Skin is mostly clear with the occasional pimple but overall dramatically improved. So much smoother and red marks are fading. I did a six week course of antibiotics and still trying to keep majority of dairy out of my diet. Still on Spiro 100 mg once daily. I am now using nerium at night to help with the lines/marks/scars etc. Just wanted to give a positive update! Still can't wait for the day where I don't have to wear makeup to feel beautiful.