Page 4 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 995 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

The Side Effects were Terrible
Reviewed on September 11, 2013

This drug has helped a lot of people, so I'm a little weary posting this review considering I had a relatlvely negative experience.

My acne is hormonal (PCOS). This drug was given to me by my dermatologist who was convinced this would help. I took it from November 2012 to September 2013, only just stopping last week. Not only did this not help my acne at all, it also caused me to be EXTREMELY fatigued. I also had quite a few of the negative side effects listed on the medication's pamphlet, such as irregular, fast heartbeat, dizziness, etc. I always felt like I was going to pass out or fall asleep while driving. I had to quit the gym and I found myself sleeping whenever I could find the time. My job suffered, I gained weight, and I was miserable. Last week I decided that enough was enough, and I stopped the drug. I felt a little better the next day, but every day I get better.

I also found that I didn't have to pee a lot on this medicine, no more than I had to before taking this years ago.

Try for yourself if I didn't scare you enough! Just make sure it's well regulated. My doctors neglected to tell me about the side effects and I really thought I was terribly, terribly ill.

Good luck!

Worked miracles for my hormonal acne
Reviewed on August 25, 2013

I'm 35, and before I had children I was on the birth control pill for years and had never had any problems with acne. After my children were born, I decided to get a Paragard IUD because it had no hormones. I began getting painful nodular breakouts, which eventually lasted three weeks or so out of every month. My mom has battled terrible acne and cysts for years - even post-menopause. I figured I was doomed and just dealt with it for around eight years. I went to see a dermatologist for a mole check and decided to add my acne to the list. He prescribed me 50mg of Spironolactone once a day - this is an off-label use since this drug is for high blood pressure. After a month or so, my acne got worse and at my three month checkup it was terrible - I was so discouraged. My face hurt and I just wanted to stay home in bed. At that time he increased my dose to 100 mg (50 2xday) and also added Clindamycin gel. I was headed to Florida in a few days and looking forward to some sun to "fix" my face - yes, I know this is bad...Anyway, a couple of weeks later my face was clear and has been ever since - around four months now. It has been so wonderful to be without the pain and embarrassment. As an added bonus, I've dropped a size or two without any effort. It is just water weight, but I'll take it! I am not certain that I needed the increased dose - may have just been coincidence on timing. I don't always take the second pill and am fine. The Clindamycin gel is really great - keeps my face from getting oily and my pores are so much clearer and I rarely get any little surface whiteheads - if I do, they go away super fast.

love/hate relationship
Reviewed on August 22, 2013

i have struggled with acne since I was 12. I am 21 now and all I can say is I have tried it all! I started at with topicals (at least 30 I have tried already such as retin-A, differen, duac, ziana, climadycin (sp. ?)). Next was antibiotics like soladyn, minocycline, eurthromycin, doxycycline. after that was birth control Loestrin 24 FE and I took that for 4 months with my skin getting even more severe tat my derm didn't want me to depend on that to clear my face up so she put me on Accutane for 5 months at 60 mg, within 6 months I started breaking out again so she put me on another round of Accutane for 5 months at 60 mg again. 6 months later I was breaking out again so this time I went to my gyno and requested ortho-tri-cyclen (FDA approved to help acne) and I was on that for a year with only 50% relief. then I switched to ortho-cyclen and my face cleared up dramtically. however, my iron levels started getting really high so my doctor didn't want me on bc pills anymore so I went back to the derm and she gave me spiro. this drug did begin to clear my face amazingly at the end of the 5 month and I had horrible breakouts the months before (really bad IB). however, my hair started falling out so much on the 100mg that I lowered to 75 mg and it continued to fall out and thin out. I was freaking out so I stopped it cus I cant afford to lose anymore hair! also 100 mg made my period messed up but 75 mg didn't. if your hair isn't falling out and thinning on this med then def keep at it. it took 5 whole months for me to begin to clear up and I didn't see any improvemnets in the first 4.5 months; no joke. I have also tried to cut out dairy, soy, wheat, and gluten from my diet and take vitamins that are great for acne and nothing helped me. Spiro will help you eventually but if your in a situation like mine, pick your hair over your face! I just stopped it and hopefully my hair stops falling out and grows back!

Works but not at first- its a dangerous drug
Reviewed on August 14, 2013

I am 23 years old and just started getting hormonal acne. In high school I had the odd couple break outs that I could usually use some sort of topical solution like differin and they would clear up. My skin would get use to these medications and they would become un effective so I would have to move on to the next treatment. My doctor prescribed me spiro 25mg 3 times a day (75mg/per day).Within the first couple of days I noticed my hair was not as oily and I could go 2 days without showering, which was unheard of before. I lost 3 pounds and I felt very weak and my breasts are super tender. It hurts when people hug me even. My skin started to break out in horrible huge cysts which had never happened to me before. This lasted for 2 and a half weeks. I am probably going to have to get laser therapy to remove the scars these will leave behind. I would cry, not leave the house and get strength from reading other reviews telling me I just had to wait it out. Now that I am in my third week I have noticed my skin clearing up and only a couple new smaller zits. Its also my time of the month so that could be contributing to this. I am going to keep at it for another couple months and wait to see the results.

However I feel as though my acne was more manageable before I started this medication. I also researched it up and down (since I had to stay in on the weekends due too my embarrassment of the large pimples that were taking over my cheeks) and found out this medication is SERIOUS. You really need to watch your potassium intake or it could do irreversible damage to your liver and kidneys. I was up set my doctor never mentioned this and am going back so i can get blood work done(this is very important). Also i have read it only works while you are on the medication, its more of a band-aid than a cure. I am scared to go off of it because who knows what my skin will be like. I have also read reports that if you take this drug for a long period of time it can give you cancer. I would only suggest this as a last resort for desperate people. I wish I had been more informed before I started popping these pills.

Spiro 100 mg then 200 mg
Reviewed on August 13, 2013

Hello,

I began using spiro 100 mg in January after BC was not being as effective controlling my cystic acne as it used to be. I had already read about spiro and was interested in the drug before I went to see my doctor and was happy to hear that is what she recommended. My regimen now included Beyaz BC, Spiro 100 mg daily, Cetaphil wash and moisturizer (twice a day), and Aczone Gel (twice a day).

After about 5 days of taking Spiro i broke out with a couple of cystic horrors which took forever to heal but after that I did not get any new ones for that first month. I also had an irregular period that lasted for about two weeks, went away, then came back for a week. The doctor said that it could happen and it would be regulated after the first month, especially since I was on BC.

After visiting my doctor, who was not happy with my results because I was getting tiny white heads here and there that I wasn't getting before, I was upped to 200 mg a day.

At 200 mg, I broke out with 3 huge cystics around my chin area (which is where I always get them) at first. I did not get any big breakouts for two months after that and the small white heads disappeared, however, after a month, I broke out again with two big cystics so my doctor and I decided that I would go on Accutane for 6 months since this wasn't the solution I was looking for.

Some other side effects that I experienced are heavy hair loss. My hair thinned so much while I was taking Spiro. I also notice that my breasts were really tender at first and got fuller as I continued to take the medication. I also could go about 4 days without washing my hair without it getting oily. Other than that as I mentioned, irregular (but light) periods at first.

I would say that I would def go back on Spiro at a low dose to prevent all the hair loss if the Accutane doesn't work out but I am crossing my fingers that it will! I do believe that spiro greatly helped me control my acne, just didn't eliminate it completely...who knows if it would have if I had stayed on it for longer. This medication def takes a lot of patience that at 26, I just don't have anymore of when it comes to acne!

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Works Like a Charm - But It Takes Time!
Reviewed on August 11, 2013

All I can say is have patience. It took 4 months for Spiro to kick in for me. I started out with 50 MG and after a month went to 100 MG. In those 3 and half months, my chin and jawline never looked and felt so bad. It's finally GONE!! Thank the Lord in heaven :) Thanks for everyone that posted on here, it helped me out alot. My dermatologist was already giving up, she was ready to put me on Accutane but, thanks to this website, I still had hopes Spiro would work out for me, I dragged the process out a little. I'm happy to say, my skin is beautifully clear. I did get the horrible breakout everyone was talking about!! My current routine is simple, I drink a full glass of water with my Spiro every morning. During the 4 months of bad breakout, I did find one product to work descent on my face. It's called Renee Rouleau Anti-Cyst Treatment. It's a little pricey, but I was happy to have something to put on those bumps. Most of the other products dry out that area and does nothing for the cyst deep down inside. Good luck to everyone out there!! If you're frustrated and reading this, most likely, Spiro will kick in for you too!! Don't give up on it. A closing thought, I am in my 40's and have been battling cystic acne ever since my 30's. I've been putting Tretinoin on my face for the past 10 years. The good news, no wrinkles!! I don't know if it's my genetic makeup but I'm thinking my continual use of Tretinoin is keeping the wrinkles away.

just started taking this
Reviewed on August 3, 2013

just started taking this drug about 3 weeks ago not really any improvement with acne, just skin is a little less oily! we will see what happens in the next 6 months I will keep you guys posted

Questions about Weight Gain
Reviewed on August 1, 2013

I had developed horrible cystic acne when I decided to stop taking birth control pills b/c of the horrible side effects that I had including hair loss, depression, acne, weight fluctuations, and breast reduction, facial hair. I went on Spiro in July of 2012 at 50mg 1xd and my acne actually got worse. A month later in August 2012 my derm put me on 100mg 1xd and after a few months my acne and other post birth control symptoms got better. By March of 2013 my acne was completely clear and my skin was better than it ever was, I also saw a reduction on my facial and body hair. I was having normal periods every month and the other side effects like dry mouth were east to deal with. By April I had noticed that I gained a lot of weight. Atleast 10lbs. So I was determined to loose the weight. I ate healthier even turning to a gluten free diet and was trying to walk and stay active but I could not even budge the weight. I would loose a few pounds and then a few days later I would gain it all back. Id never gained some much weight in my stomach, butt and legs. It was horrible. So in June my derm bumped me down to 75mg but I haven't lost a pound. This month August I'm going to see if she'll bump me down to 50mg since my skin is holding up and my weight isn't going down. I am hoping I can get on a lower dosage that seems to work for my acne and also will allow me to loose some of this weight. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what did you do? My email is koconnell.lbpl@[link removed]

Round 2 of spiro because it's the only thing that really WORKS!!!
Reviewed on April 21, 2011

I first took this medication in 2011 for my adult onset (22) hormonal acne. It always coincided with my cycle and was confined to just my chin and jawline! After my derm suggested it and reading these reviews, I knew it was my answer. It took 3 months (50 mg a day) to stop getting new pimples and for the old marks to fade but then I had flawless skin for a two years! I stopped taking it and birth control to get ready to have kids/experiment to see if I no longer needed it and it took 3 months for my skin to return to it's normal state... With my wedding 6 months away, I decided to get back on it for now. It's working just as it did last time- so at least I know it's reliable and consistent! WIshing the effects lasted without taking a pill daily, but it is still without a doubt worth it! I love this medication and how much it helped my self confidence! Good luck to all you girls starting it. Hope it works just as well for you :)

Only medicine that has ever truly worked for me
Reviewed on July 18, 2013

I have been suffering with acne since around 5th grade (currently 21). I have tried many topical treatments, every antibiotic under the sun, lasers, peels and even Accutane. Accutane terrified me and though it began to clear my skin, I had to stop due to a number of side effects. Antibiotics also make me a little weary due to supposed side effects as well as a few different allergies I have.

I started taking 50mg of Spironolactone twice a day and started seeing results within a month after adding a mild topical prescription. [Note: I take with an oral contraceptive: Reclipsen] I had severe acne on my chest, arm and shoulders and that cleared up for good in less than a month. My face was virtually perfect and my doctor suggested to start gradually weaning off the dose. I did not want to give up my little miracle pills but it has been almost two weeks since I began lowering my dose and though I have had a few very small blemishes I am happy to see that my skin is still incredibly clear. I have also stopped using my topical prescription and have switched to a gentler over the counter facewash/ lotion system.

I began taking this in the winter and thought my dry mouth had something to do with the dry air in my home but the more I read the more I realized that was probably due to the pills diuretic nature, so if you go this route be sure to drink tons of water! This pill has done nothing to reduce pore sizes for me but I am definitely not complaining. Truly the best regimen I have been on in my ten year struggle with acne!