Page 3 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1100 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Miracle Drug for Cystic Acne
Reviewed on April 22, 2015

I'm a 33 old female and have managed acne and cystic acne my whole life from age 12. I was managing it well by using a combination salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide products for many years in my 20's. Neutrogena Grapefruit wash, Clean and Clear ointment and Clearasil were my usual products. I'd get an occasional cyst or small amount of acne from time to time, but I started noticing my skin was visibly aging more than my identical twin sister, who didn't use these products. Her skin was completely clear. I did some research and read an online book called Clear Skin Forever, about the harmful effects of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products for your skin long term. I took myself off of the ointments and face wash and immediately started breaking out. For several months my skin got far worse (with really bad cystic acne) until I finally took myself to a UCLA dermatologist who put me on Spironolactone and a trentinoin cream (along with a sulfur wash in the morning). She also said how harmful salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are and recommended Cera-Ve fashwash and lotion. It took a month to start really seeing results, but I've been on it for a year and my skin is 100% clear. My scars are still fading and I get an occasional pimple from time to time, but it's no where near the level it was before starting it. Every month you will notice it getting better and better. Have patience with it and it will pay off. I took pictures of my face every month to track the progress. From my starting point to where I am now, I have completely transformed.

Cystic acne is hormonal, not bacterial, and can't be treated with skin ointments. Spiro helps block the over production of testosterone in the body and it's a miracle drug for people with hormonal acne. I've been on every medication imaginable. Including two rounds of Accutane as a teen. It has always come back. Do yourself a favor and see a dermatologist immediately who's willing to put you on this medication. It's not yet FDA approved to treat acne (it's a blood pressure medicine), so some dermatologists won't prescribe it, but it really works. More research is being done to prove it. Also, avoid getting your skin addicted to salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide products. It's very difficult to ween yourself off of them and they do more harm than good in the long run. I use Cera-Ve face wash and a sulfer facewash in the morning with Cera-Ve lotion. At night, I use Cera-Ve wash and occasionally use an apricot scrub (without salicylic acid) to exfoliate. I have huge pores so this helps. Always use the Cera-Ve lotion after washing. Your skin tends to get dry on this medication but it's a small side effect to the benefits it brings. I gave this medicine a year before I gave a review, and I can honestly say it's changed my life. My dermatologist started me at 50mg a day and increased it to 75mg after 3 months. I'm still on the 75mg/day dose, which works for me.

by HeatherSC on 04/28/2015 18:14
I also have minimal side effects with this dosage. I've found avoiding sugar, dairy, and too much caffeine also helps with managing acne. A diet high in processed carbs, dairy, sugar and caffeine makes a perfect breeding ground for acne. Getting your gut on a healthier diet helps your face so lean protein, lots of veggies, and some fruit not only helps your overall health but your face as well.
Didn't work as a teen, but is working as a young adult
Reviewed on April 21, 2015

I was put on spironolactone when I was 18, but my acne was not hormonal then like it is now so it wasn't effective. I am 22 and have been battling acne throughout college. Its been a nightmare having to deal with something I thought you only had to deal with in high school. My acne has changed throughout this time, at first it was everywhere, but now it is hormonal, limited to my jaw line and chin. I also speculate that I have PCOS since I have never had a regular period, have abnormal hair growth, acne (obviously), among other symptoms. I started taking spiro about a month and a half ago. At first I did experience side effects at 100mg/day; irregular heart beat, muscle weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, dehydration, but after week two things calmed down and now I don't have any side effects at all unless I don't drink enough water. I also did lose about 8 lbs (which is awesome!) I assume it was just water weight. At about week two I had the rumored "initial break-out." It was not horrible, but much worse than my acne was before, almost cystic-like and very tender and painful. This lasted about two weeks and then suddenly it stopped and now my skin is clearing up! Apart from the spots leftover from my last break-out (hopefully the last one forever apart from the occasional blemish which I can deal with) my pores look very small, my skin is glowing, hair on my face and body doesn't grow as fast, the weight loss was a surprise (no I haven't gained it back like some other people), and my skin feels soft. I must recommend that to make this medicine work optimally that you eat healthy, cut out all dairy, salty/sugary foods, and caffeine, exercise, keep your hands off your face, RELAX (reduce stress), and drink LOTS and LOTS of water! My routine is very basic; Cetaphil cleanser, CeraVe AM/PM, occasionally I will use Neutrogena benzoyl peroxide topical, Make-Up - IT Cosmetics Illumination Powder.

I will update once more time has gone by. All in all I highly recommend for people with hormonal acne! Specifically if you have elevated testosterone levels or have PCOS.

Love spiro...
Reviewed on April 12, 2015

This has been my savior. I started breaking out as a teenager and struggled up until age 30 with persistent break outs. In college, I probably should have been on accutane. I have tried everything under the sun; every regimen and product. Some would work for the short term but then the acne would just pop up again. I went to numerous dermatologists who always prescribed a lousy drying product with a bogus antibiotic. It was an endless cycle. After turning 30, I couldn't handle having acne anymore. I researched a TON online and speculated that I could have PCOS....(when I was 18, I stopped getting a period for 8 months. I was told it was because I had low body weight and was a Division 1 athlete, I was put on the birth control pill....which helped a bit). The BCP basically masked the fact that I had PCOS. So... fast forward to age 30, I tell my OBGYN what I'm thinking and sure enough, I have PCOS! I have been taking spiro for a year and half now and I haven't had any break outs. Maybe the beginnings of one tiny pimple but then it magically disappears. My skin is smooth, glowing and I don't even wear make up, just a little bronzer...people ask me what I use and tell me I have amazing skin-it's extraordinary. I always say thank you and am flattered but little do they know the pain and torture I went through for years. For me, the spiro kicked in right away....I would say withthin two weeks my skin was flawless. It was truly miraculous. My only hope is that this medication is safe long term because I won't be going off....

by elodiecoulter on 05/06/2015 01:15
I just started on it and hope to have the same report soon - how many mg a day do you take? - Thanks in advance for your feedback
Takes a bit of time to start working.
Reviewed on April 7, 2015

truly the only thing that has helped the cysts that would not quit appearing on my chin. It's a wonder drug for me, with no side effects whatsoever.

In love
Reviewed on March 25, 2015

THIS IS A MIRACLE. Ive tried everything from proactiv to clindamycin gel, nothing worked. I would say that my acne is moderate. I was put on a topic cream that broke my face out horribly. I refused to leave the house. I set up an appt with my derm and she started me on 25mg of spironolactone. In one week I saw results, I'm now about 3 weeks into taking spiro and i haven't seen my skin this clear in A WHILE! I just ended my menstrual cycle so i did break out a bit from that.. but Im so happy with the results. I now feel confident again. I finally found my miracle drug. I can't wait to see the results in the next few weeks!!!!

Question: One week in...
Reviewed on March 24, 2015

When should I expect the initial breakout? (anyone not get this?)

I'm on 100mg spiro and adapalene, day 7. My face already has greatly improved - I assume from the topical. Like 80% clearer on the jaw and cheeks. But I wait... and dread... this initial breakout everyone talks about. Is it too bad to leave the house? I'd love to hear from some 'survivors'! thanks for sharing everyone.

by girlanachronism on 05/29/2015 23:38
my derma said that spiro doesn't trigger a initial breakout- however, if your hormones get out of control you might have a breakout.
by GoldenFactory on 08/19/2015 00:31
Hi, I am on a similar treatment system to you! I'm really nervous about how long this treatment might take to be effective and whether or not an initial breakout is inevitable. As your review was written in March, I was wondering if you could give me any input about how the course of the treatment worked out for you. Thanks!
Push for the higher doses,..if possible.
Reviewed on March 18, 2015

I have been taking 200 mgs daily of Spironolactone since December 2014. In the initial start of the treatment, which for me was at 100 mgs daily, I noticed a big improvement in the oiliness of my face and quantity of breakouts. That paired with Epiduo first then just the Adapalene quotient later, I am literally clear of all acne and blackheads & whiteheads. In figuring out exactly what the magic number was for me regarding how much Spiro to take, the 1st month-100mgs daily, the 2nd month-150 mgs daily, 3rd month-200 mgs daily.

Because I have issues with PCOS and Endometriosis my dermatologist, who normally winces and the higher doses, has been gracious enough to allow me to take this much but not without the required testing-monthly, dietary restrictions to reduce potassium levels and increased water intake. I do not mind at all if I have to change what I eat, drink more water and give blood all the time, I will happily, to maintain my acne free skin. A month between doses was merely to appease my derm because I saw results within a two week time span, like another reviewer stated. I use CeraVe AM & PM moisturizing formulas and rotate the foaming and moisturizing wash daily with nighttime Adapalene application. I feel like maybe 50 mgs more just might take me over the top but... Its hard to find a derm who will agree to that much...maybe I'll ask my gyno since he does know my history.

Either way, I am extremely happy with this med and encourage others to try the higher doses if what they are currently taking is not working, if at all possible, but do be aware that it will require a lifestyle change. This is not something you apply to your face with abandon, its a very potent medication with its own very dangerous side effects. Also, do your own research with regards to the absolute maximum amount to be taken for HORMONAL acne, I think its near the 400mg mark, its also used for Hirsutism, edema, etc, etc and since MOST derms will not give you more than 100 mgs daily, do search for one that will AT LEAST LET YOU TRY THE HIGHER DOSES before saying no.

I could not believe the trouble I had in finding someone who would at least give my body the chance to see if it worked for me, before flat out denying it. While it is a serious med, it is not Accutane, it is not a long term antibiotic or anything else that might be worse for my body and while I understand the benefits, I also understand the dangers, and was willing to undertake the changes I had to make in order to continue taking it at this dosage. Not many are willing or are capable, which is why I think there is some resistance and why it caps off at 100 mgs for most people.

I did my own research on the drug and feel it is relatively safe compared to some other more harmful drugs that are being prescribed. That is my own opinion. Yes, I was prescribed the Solodyn, I was given the Aczone, I did get a lot of very harmful products to take for my HORMONAL acne but refused them all because of the research I found on them. I refused to take a lot of things and have not found a solution until now. In fact, it is the only thing I take for my acne now, aside from the Adapalene and my face, my skin, is beautiful. More so now than in my 20s.

Bio: female, 38, 133lbs-down from 145 @ start of Spiro, Cystic acne since age 12, PCOS/Endometriosis diagnosed in 2013. My acne has been completely hormonal and due to my condition. No other issues exist.

by cnveatch on 05/27/2015 19:03
Did you feel like you lost weight with Spiro? That is my one fear is weight gain as I lost 60 pounds getting off Birth Control only to gain hormonal acne in its place. Thank you for your feed back!
Stay patient and hopeful
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

I never feel the need to write reviews but after dealing with acne I feel I must. I am 20 yrs old and never really had acne until I was about 18. This past year it got worse. My jawline and cheeks were constantly broken out. After seeing three dermatologists over the years NOTHING worked until my latest one. Blood work showed my testosterone levels were high (even though I am a girl) and that was most likely the cause of my acne. She prescribed me solodyn 12 weeks ago and I began the spironolactone 3 weeks later. My face was still breaking out up until about last week. I do have to say the breakouts have not been as bad but I was losing hope of ever getting clear skin. The two prescriptions I believe are working really well together. I am very impatient and it was hard for me to accept that "it gets worse before it gets better." Trust me, it sucks. But honestly stick with it! Waiting three months is nothing compared to never having a clear face. I am finally seeing results after 12 weeks and am glad I did not give up. On 55 mg of solodyn once a day and 50 mg of spironolactone twice a day (total= 100 mg of spiro total) and am a 124 lb girl. No horrible side effects. Coming from the most impatient person ever, stay patient!

by peacelover on 03/17/2015 13:35
Should also mention that I cleanse with Cerave and moisturize with the same brand. Simple but I love it because it is not too harsh on my skin and feels refreshing.
by mwatts82 on 05/11/2015 01:23
Been on this medicine since February 100mg a day and I feel like it's not helping. My dermy said there isn't an initial breakout period because the job of the medicine is to block the hormone that produces these zits. I wanna cry!! Help
I need help finding a moisturizer!
Reviewed on March 13, 2015

I have been on 100 mg of spiro for maybe 3 months now in addition to Tazorac. The initial breakout for me was awful and lasted maybe 2 months or so. By the 3rd month my skin started clearing up more but then my dermatologist stupidly forgot to refill my prescription (despite me contacting him dozens of times to renew it). Anyway, I was off spiro for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got extremely bad, even worse than before I started spiro. I am back on now and I think I am going through an initial breakout again but I am hoping my skin clears up faster than the first time I started this med. The fact that I was only off this med for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got so bad worries me because I am afraid I will develop a dependency on this medication, which will be a problem in the future when I decide to have children.

My biggest problem with this medication is that my skin is so dry! I don't know how I can get my skin to not be so dry. I have been using CeraVe Hyrdrating cleanser, Garnier Cleansing Oil for very dry skin, and CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizer and somehow my skin is STILL incredibly dry. During the day I also wear a BB Cream on top of the CeraVe PM but my skin is still dry within an hour. I have no idea how to help this so if anyone has any recommendations for cleansers, moisturizers, BB Creams, or Foundations I would be so grateful!!!

by HayleeG on 03/14/2015 09:33
I am on the exact prescription's you are but with Duac in the mornings. I started using the PM and AM CeraVe but also added the CeraVe moisturizing cream sold in the tub for Normal to Dry skin. I slather that on in the AM and PM. It really works great because I have very dry skin now compared to how it used to be oily all the time. I also just started using Covergirl & Olay Tone Rehab Foundation/Base. Works great for covering old acne spots. Hope that helps.
by sbeanie82 on 05/19/2015 18:17
I recommend trying Niacinamide Vitamin B3 5% serum. I started using it because my skin was really dry from Spiro and also using benzoyl peroxide every day. I put on a little bit every night after showering. It made a huge difference! Really moisturized my skin so I didn't have to use as much moisturizer during the day and also made my skin smoother. Didn't make me break out at all. There are many different brands, I used SkinDaily but since they are out of stock right now, I'm ordering another brand...I think they are probably all the same thing
Miracle
Reviewed on March 12, 2015

I am 31 and have been trying and failing acne treatment since age 12. I have been on everything... accutane, antibiotics, birth control as method for acne control, every single topical agent out there (Ziana working the best, Epiduo coming in second), and all with very little success. Finally I had a doctor prescribe me Spironolactone. I saw improvement in the first 30 days at 100mg, more than other oral prescriptions, but not a complete cure. After giving the drug some time to work, the doc raised my prescription to 150mg. In 2 weeks I was practically clear- having one zit that popped up while PMSing. It's been amazing. Now it's been a month since the increased dosage and my skin looks really good. I have some scars/small bumps that hung around but they are fading very quickly. I am using Epiduo topically a few days a week as that reduces dark spots wonderfully. When I use it more than 3 days a week my skin gets too dry.