Page 3 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1033 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Miracle doesn't mean instant gratification
Reviewed on May 28, 2014

And that doesn't make accutane better. Accutane is scary.

There is an initial breakout and perhaps spotting between periods. This stabilizes. It took a full six months before I saw the results I expected. Skin is doing great, no complaints. Only side effect now is a change in appetite. I used to crave very sweet foods and now prefer savory, brinish food.

Should I continue Spiro?
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I'm 26 years old and I began taking Spiro two weeks ago for hormonal acne that was annoying, but not horrible. I had very bad acne as a preteen and did one round of accurate and haven't had many issues since. Since being on Spiro, my chin is badly broken out! Like, very bad! I am feeling very distraught and unsure if I want to continue at this time. My boyfriend lives out of country and I haven't seen him in months! He will arrive here in 10 days. I don't want to be gross when he arrives and while we spend a month in Central America together. Any suggestions? Should I hold off on taking Spiro until I get back, or keep going? How long did it take for your "breakout period" to be over and done with? Please help!

by buggirl on 05/30/2014 06:31
worst breakouts for a few weeks. my skin then got very sensitive and strange but nothing so bad as it was before or immediately after spiro. i would say it's worth it to stick with it and don't delay, going on and off pills will effect your hormones and cause worse breakouts.
by smarie23 on 06/23/2014 00:43
Do you have an update as to how you're doing now?
Side Effects Too Much
Reviewed on May 24, 2014

Unfortunately this just didn't get rid of my painful cystic jawline bumps I was hoping for. I had to stop taking this after 2.5 months as it caused horrible cramping and threw my entire menstrual cycle off schedule (almost a month straight spot bleeding!).

by Leah12345 on 06/29/2014 18:42
It helps to take this medication with a birth control pill as well, to help keep your cycle and hormones in control.
This really works, but be patient!
Reviewed on May 19, 2014

My one year anniversary of being on Spironolactone is coming up in a few days and it inspired me to make an account here to share my success story with you all. I am 20 and have been suffering from painful cystic acne since I was 13. I started Spiro last May in 2013 on 50mg. For the first two weeks while my body was adjusting, I had to urinate more and I also felt dizzy at times, but these both wore off. As with most people here, my skin got worse for the first three months or so and it was awful but I kept reading reviews on here to keep positive. I increased my dosage to 100mg after three months, which caused me to break out even more. My skin then had its ups and downs over the next 6 months and it finally stabilized and became continuously clear at around 9 months. I still break out maybe once a month, but only a few small zits, nothing like before. It also significantly decreased the oil on my face and I didn't have to shave as much because my leg hair became thinner. This is a miracle drug! It gave me so much more confidence and just be patient when you first start it and give it a good 9 months or so to reach it's full effect! I promise, the beautiful clear skin you end up with will be so worth it!

by Danielle99 on 06/02/2014 03:12
Hello. I am on spironolactone but what happens when we get off?! I have been on for 6 months and it has truly worked wonders it takes a lot of patience
by Leah12345 on 06/29/2014 18:32
My dermatologist said that once my skin stabilizes, my dosage will slowly be weaned down to a lower dosage, but I will never stop taking it totally. In most cases, if you were to stop taking it all together, your skin would get worse again.
Very Nice Acne Treatment
Reviewed on May 19, 2014

I have been on spironolactone for about two months now and it has worked great for me. I have pretty minor acne in my T-zone area. My acne usually consists of 4 or 5 large pimples/zits in between my eyes or on my forehead. My dermatologist was wasting my time with products such as Epiduo that did not work. They refused to put me on oral medication until i had gone through 10 different acne topicals. All that did was waste money. I headed to my family doctor who prescribed me Spironolactone. It has worked great. I never had a breakout stage. It began working almost immediately. I almost never get pimples anymore. I take 50 mg a day. I recommend taking it about an hour after dinner, or before bed. Only take it with food if it hurts your stomach with water. The only side effects i experienced were diarrhea and stomach aches. Which only occured once each. Skip the, excuse my language, bullsh*t and go straight to oral medication. Hope i could help.

Puffiness in the face - and acne prone skin
Reviewed on May 18, 2014

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time that i use this site, and i need help

I have been suffering from puffiness in the face as well as oiliness and acne since i am 14

I have been on Roacuttaine for 3 times and it did clear both conditions, but when i stop oiliness and puffiness returns

I have 2 kids and when i was pregnant, i had no oiliness and no puffiness

I also started to take the contraceptive Yasmine and it helped but after 6 months it stopped, then switched to belara , for 2 years it worked then it gave me severe side effects, so had to stop

I started spire now, as my puffiness and oiliness is returning and i do feel less puffy from the 3rd day (25mgs)

Basically i don't know what i need to do, or is there a hormonal test that i need to take to determine what to take

And wether spiro has longterm side effects?

Any advice would be appreciated

by leighbeedee on 06/11/2014 19:04
I would suggest going up in your dosage. I used to have really oily skin, but with Spiro and the topicals I use this isn't the case anymore.
by Moe79 on 06/25/2014 20:46
Try 50mgs of the Spiro. Your acne is DEFINITELY hormonal if you stopped breaking out when you were pregnant. I tried Kariva (birth control) and it worked wonders. The other thing is don’t discount topical creams (while taking Spiro). I like Acanya. I’ve found an aggressive dermatologist who is willing to listen and try anything with me. I had the oil problem as well and now my face just feels healthy.
IT REALLY WORKS, BE PATIENT!
Reviewed on May 13, 2014

I'm 20 and have had moderate/severe acne since I was 12 or 13. I tried every over-the-counter product imaginable and every 'natural' remedy, but none of them worked. As it turns out, my acne was caused by a hormonal imbalance. I went to my dermatologist in September and she gave me a prescription for spironolactone, as well as a tube of Clindamycin Phosphate & Benzoyl Peroxide, which I put on every night. I started out with 50 mg per day, and moved up to 100mg (one 50 mg pill in the morning and one pill at night) after two weeks. I didn't really experience any side effects, but I did feel a little dizzy when I took the pill on an empty stomach. I did experience the 'initial breakout period' that everyone talks about, but don't be scared off. It lasted about a month, but it DOES get better. It probably helps to go makeup-free, but if you're highly self-conscious like I was, invest in some good oil-free moisturizer and non-comedogenic foundation. I also got Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser from my dermatologist, which really helped get all the makeup off. Be warned, spiro does not work very quickly, but it DOES work. I read a lot of the reviews below who said they have been taking spiro for two or three months and nothing has changed, or that their skin has gotten worse. Give your body some time to adjust! For me, it took 8 months to get my skin completely clear. It was definitely worth the wait! Good luck and be patient, everyone!!!

Spiro has changed my life! 32 yo diagnosed with PCOS
Reviewed on April 30, 2014

I am sharing my review today, exactly 4 months after I started my long journey on Spironolactone. It all began with a persistent flare up of mild hormonal acne last fall that lead me searching for answers why and trying everything I could do to stop it. I begged my derm for Spiro after researching and coming across all of the information on these boards. I knew my hormones were a mess and that this seemed to be a great treatment. Yasmin had worked for me for years and seemed Spiro had a similar effect. On 12/30 I started on 50 mg Spiro, I was clear for about a week and then had a terrible initial breakout, what I consider terrible 5-7 under the skin breakout that was swollen red and painful. I started taking Yasmin the 2nd/3rd week which also contributed to my breaking out. I asked my derm for an antibiotic to help and she prescribed Doxy 200 mg/day. The 3rd/4th week I broke out in tiny clogged pores all over my cheeks and jawline/chin. It was not very noticeable to anyone else but I could feel and see them. I started a strict exfoliation plan that took about 2 1/2 months to clear my skin completely. Using Chemical peels from MUAC- Mandelic and Salicylic, a great toner their Mandelic and Acne.org's AHA mixed with Cerave PM for my lotion. During this time my oil production was still more than average. I went to see an Endo for answers after getting some hormone tests, they conducted an ultrasound and diagnosed me with PCOS. They upped me to 75mg along with my Yasmin and after a small breakout (seriously nothing I couldn't handle, maybe 3-4 small spots that cleared within 2 days) my oil production slowed down and my breakouts have pretty much stopped. My pores have all been cleared at this point, I still have some fading of PIH but thanks to the doxy I stopped having any cysts pretty much right away. The exfoliation plan helped immensely. I will admit this was the longest 4 months, I went through a bout of depression and ended up being prescribed an anti anxiety Celexa. It has changed my world along with Spiro. I believe in all natural, organic way of life, but due to my medical condition I have choosen to accept modern medicine as my course of treatment. I tried herbs for months and they did nothing for me. I took every one in the books, Saw Palmetto, B5 megadoses, zinc, C, wheatgrass shots daily (expensive), fish oil, flax oil, elimination diets. In the end, Spiro has worked wonders, I no longer worry about my skin and am extremely thankful to everyone on this board for sharing their experiences.

I AM 46 with adult cystic acne & my life changed! My go-to Miracle!!!!
Reviewed on April 27, 2014

I've been dealing with acne all my life. Nothing worked; tried almost everything and then went to laser treatments only to continue to breakout and have bad skin return. This is a true MIRACLE. I recommend it. Get it. Use it and don't stop taking it. Started with 100 mg a day and it worked after 30 days for me. Easily began seeing results but also might add that if you begin, have or start to have pigmentation you must ask your Doctor for the topical TRETINOIN CREAM for your face. Every DERM uses this topical. It lightens and brightens those pesky brown scars or great for melasma. I am so grateful to my Mayo Clinic doctor that assisted me with this most frustrating matter. Good Luck and start your way back to great looking skin! xoL :0)

Please help - need advice!
Reviewed on April 25, 2014

Ok - a little history on my acne - I experienced none as a teenager, but as soon as I turned 21, BAM, I was hit with what has been the most frustrating battle I could imagine. I am now 25, so for the past four years, I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun, other than Accutane. I have had a few spells over the past few years where it has been manageable, but it always comes back.

My skin is extremely oily, and my problem areas are my chin, and the lower parts of my cheeks, just above my jawline.

So with all that said, the biggest stressor I am facing is that I am getting married in 4 and a half months. I just started spironolactone 3 days ago, and I have these huge zits all over the bottom half of my face. It defiantly wasn't this bad before. From what I've been reading, many people experience an initial breakout, but I'm just wondering how long on average it lasts? I have several bridal showers and parties to go where everyone is going to be staring at me, and all I want to do is hide. As stupid as it sounds, I wish I could postpone my wedding until my acne was gone. This is supposed to be a happy time for me, and instead I am plagued with insecurities and my my acne consumes my every thought :(

by peeperwatts on 05/19/2014 05:15
Initial breakout lasts a month. Congrats!
by jhaynes777 on 07/17/2014 01:48
Give it 2 months, and stay strict with your skin care regime, dosage and drinking lots of water. I had the same issue before I got married and I hadn't discovered Spironolactone yet, so I had to go through all of that stuff with the acne. I hired someone to do my make-up for the day who was amazing at covering it up, but one tip I took from her is when you have a few days before an event and you notice you have a bad breakout surfacing, clean your skin thoroughly each night, apply the cream neutrogena to the affected areas and then apply one of those small circle bandaid dots to each area. It helps them heal faster. Sounds weird but I had to do this 3 days before my wedding and it helped quite a bit! (Just in case you don't clear up before an event) Good luck!