Page 3 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1135 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spiro Review
Reviewed on March 17, 2016

I am a 30 year old female who went on Mirena IUD in August 2015. Before this I would say my skin was normal, mostly blemish free. A few weeks after having Mirena inserted I noticed a change in my skin. It was horrible :( I would get pea sized cystic bumps on my hair line, neck, chin and cheek and they were very painful.

I tried doxy, with no luck and also had peels etc... in an attempt to fix this. Like most others when the problem comes from the inside you can't fix it from the outside. After reading reviews I asked my doctor to prescribe me spiro. She was reluctant but I begged.

I started the end of Jan on 50mg once daily. I took this at night. At first I did need to go to the bathroom a lot more. But with time my body has become use to this and is retaining more fluids.

After two weeks I had a week of blemish free skin. This didn't last long though and came back with a vengeance. Every day I would have a new bump on my cheek or chin. After 4 weeks I upped my dose to 2X50mg a day. The next three weeks my skin was just as bad.

I am now at 8 weeks and I haven't had a blemish in 7 days. Fingers and toes crossed the worst is over and my body has adjusted.

My advice is to stick it out. Yes it will be hard and it will get worse but for a short term break out for clear skin it is amazing.

I will update my review at the three month mark.

by lorny on 03/21/2016 11:50
Hi I'm about to beg the Dr for 'spiro' , is it expensive? I can't seem to find the price of it anywhere. Thanks & I really hope it works for you. Cystic acne sux
by SMAUS on 03/24/2016 01:07
Not at all. My bottle of 25x 100 was under $10aud. I was excited too soon. I've got some bumps again on my neck. I'm seeing the dermatologist this afternoon so will see what he has to say about it all.
Spiro didn't work for me
Reviewed on March 16, 2016

I took Spiro for 7 months. It took me from mild/moderate acne to disfiguring acne. I am 28 yrs old, I hv both cystic acne & white heads/black heads. I also have EXTREMELY oily skin. My Derm said Spiro would be perfect for me. I "purged" for an entire 7 months. Spiro seems to work for wayyyy more ppl than it doesn't so by no means do I want to discourage anyone from trying it, however, after 7 months it just appeared that it didn't work for me.

by SZW on 04/09/2016 17:59
What was your dosage?
by BinkyBunny on 05/11/2016 17:51
I am on 100mg spiro for almost two months now. My acne actually got way worse. I don't know if I should stick with it or just try Accutane. So frustrating.
Hormonal Adult Acne: SPIRO 3 months noticeable results, 6 months desirable results. AND OTHER HELPFUL INFO.
Reviewed on March 14, 2016

I am a 27-year-old female that has had issues with adult hormonal acne since I was 22. My skin is a combination of dry and acne prone. My apologies for the lengthy post, but I wanted to include other info that I found to be helpful.

It wasn’t until September of 2015 that my cystic acne was unmanageable, painful, and damaging to my self esteem in way I have never experienced. The cysts were abundant in number and size, they were large and red, eventually turning to large scabs, covering my cheeks, jawline, and my neck. Makeup was necessary but didn’t help cover much of anything except for the redness, which then appeared yellow-ish due to foundation. I am not a makeup savvy gal, so makeup was not really my friend during this time. I became highly anxious when out in public. I was rushing through my errands. I didn't want to be seen or make eye contact. If being a ghost was an option, I would've chosen to be one.

Once I discovered that this is a true medical issue that required medical attention, I made an appointment with the dermatologist. I have been to the derm several times before, but I never felt confident about my visits and treatments. Nothing *really* worked. I tried 3 different birth control pills designed to tackle hormonal acne. I became a different person each time and my body didn’t feel like it was my own, nor did my mind. I felt neurotic and my body stayed bloated despite my efforts to alleviate that. So while it did help with manage the acne, it created other problems. After the 3rd time being on the pill, I swore it off forever. I tried multiple medicated creams and gels along with antibiotics. I had also been to a few aestheticians, which did help with the appearance, but was not a true fix when the root of the problem lies internally. There was no reason to continue with the chemical peels if it wasn't actually contributing to my "cure".

However, my new dermatologist had a different approach. I was involved in the choosing and planning of treatment. She explained and reviewed options with me (yes, she gave me options!) and provided me her professional input for guidance in my decision making. I didn’t think that my acne was Accutane worthy, and even if it were, I was very hesitant. After careful consideration, I decided to go with Spironolactone (50mg) taken once daily to and Tretinoin (retin-a) cream at night. I felt SO great about this and eager to start. After the first 6 weeks, I had to have my blood drawn and tested for normal potassium levels. I did notice breast tenderness and light headedness when not taken with food, so beware of that! These symptoms are common as you while find in the other reviews here.

In February of 2016, I had a derm appoint for a progress report. At that time, we decided to adjust the Spiro dosage to 100mg taken twice daily plus the Tretinoin cream applied a night.

It is now the middle of March and *knock on wood* my skin has radically improved. I rarely ever get breakouts, except for PMS related. Everyone wants quick and perfect results, which might be an impossible achievement. I am very happy with the progress I have seen thus far and am willing to stay on the Spiro train. 3 months for noticeable results, 6 months for desirable results. BE PATIENT AND STICK WITH SPRIO!!! The next phase for me is to heal the discoloration and scarring.

I have not noticed a change in mood, but maybe I should ask my S/O for his observation. My menstrual cycle has always been regular on a strict schedule according to my body' natural clock. End of the month for 7 days. Now it's more like, ehhh every 2 to 3 weeks lasting anywhere from 4 or 7 days, but I don't necessarily consider that to be a CON. I just deal with it per usual. I have always drank a lot of water, consequently going #1 pretty frequently. I haven't noticed a change in my restroom habits.

OTHER THINGS TO DO TO HELP WITH HORMONAL ACNE

Disclaimer: We are all delicate snowflakes and what works for me will most likely not work for anyone else quite the same way. Hopefully you can’t get some ideas from this though!

I also wanted to mention that I became mildly obsessed with ridding my acne because of the effects it had my self esteem. I would normally consider myself a social person, but became recluse when the acne was at it’s worst in September. Because of my obsession, I did countless hours of my own research. Which is how I came to find this website/blog fyi. I read review after review after review. I watched video bloggers that had videos related to adult acne. I read articles written by industry professionals and other blogs. I read product reviews on the internet. I arrived to the conclusion that hormonal acne MUST first be dealt with internally.

After diving into my research, I reflected on my dietary habits. I always made an effort to eat relatively healthy, but zero effort to really say “no” to sugar, salt, and dairy. It was time for me to use my willpower and commit to sticking to a healthy diet rich in fruits, grains, and vegetables. I had to turn my back on my sweet tooth. No longer could I give into my chocolate, chips, candy, pizza, ice cream, cheese, pretzels, etc. Yes, I do eat these things still, but only on a rare occasion and not in excess. I used to eat an entire tub of chocolate ice cream in a few days time because #yolo.

NATURAL PRODUCTS

Organic and natural products have lasted the test of time for a reason. If you’ve never done so, try an experiment in which you DON’T purchase or use products that have unnatural ingredients. If you don’t recognize the name of an ingredient, don’t buy it. If you don’t have a nearby store that offers these options, or maybe they do but they are pricey, try Amazon. You can also make your own products from a few simple ingredients! Remember, just because it’s a high-end fancy name brand jar or tube, doesn’t mean it works. There are ALWAYS natural inexpensive alternative options (that are usually must cheaper).

Other foods/products that help with acne:

Citrus fruits

Tea tree oil

Raw honey

Milk

High iron foods- mostly anything green (i recommend asparagus, kale, spinach, cucumbers)

Apple cider vinegar

Peppermint essential oil

Herbal tea

Baking soda

Red potato skins

Vitamin C products (serum, lotions)

Vitamin A products (ditto)

This list is a mix of things that can either be ingested, applied superficially, or maybe both. I found tons of uses for these from kind internet folks (ie.: make facial masks, wash skin, wash hair, skin care regimen, etc.). Youtube and Google has everything. Thanks internet!

CLARISONIC MIA 2

OMG GET ONE. My derm recommended I look into this product. I knew some friends that had one and swore by it. The only thing is, they are costly. I’m the first to admit that I am a girl that balls on a budget and couldn’t justify the expense. BUT after Christmas I pulled all of my new and old Sephora gift cards together to buy the $150 item and ended up only spending $40 out of my own pocket to finally have one. I am telling you that Clarisonic WORKS. I use an all natural oil based facial cleanser with it twice daily and I immediately noticed the change my skin. If you are able to afford one, please do yourself a favor and get it. Other similar products from different brands could be just as effective, but I can’t vouch for those.

Lastly, before buying products online or in-store, I encourage you to read reviews, search for answers to your questions, look on youtube for product reviews before spending your money no matter the cost!

by BinkyBunny on 05/04/2016 23:01
Thanks for shareing. My derm gave me 100mg once a day plus Retain-A 0.0245% to use at night. It has been one month, and my acne has never been worse!! :( I got lots of big red ones around my mouth. I normally got one or two, but never this many. So frustrating. Did yous got worse before it get better? thanks!
My miracle
Reviewed on March 1, 2016

Don't know if anyone has checked this lately but honestly, I tried everything for my acne until I tried spironolactone(aldactone) my chin, cheeks, jawline and part of my neck were breaking out ... I hated my skin. I tried spiro and started at 25. then progressed to 100mg. A day.. My acne literally disappeared. My periods yes were irregular, and I did not gain any weight. I actually lost 10 pounds.. I went off of it for a year cause my skin was fine. I also already have low blood pressure and this medicine does lower it so I was feeling cold and sleepy at times. My skin was terrible the whole year I was off of it. I literally would not leave my house because I didn't want anyone seeing my face ... Went back on the Med only at 50 a day and I'm back to blemish free and have regular periods and only get tiny ones during my cycle. This has been the only medicine that's ever helped me and I've taken doxycycline, all the antibiotics, even regimens. Anyway, Come to find out I had cystic ovaries and my hormones were whack. So I'm happy i found this medicine because it helps my cramps and my skin 98 percent. Of the time :) also to mention; those who aren't seeing any results after 6+ months.. If your acne isn't hormonal, as in caused by your hormones being whacky, then this will not help. This medicine as my doctor said is; an androgen blocker, sebum (oil) is reduced because your testosterone (androgen) is being blocked. Excessive sebum is why your pores become clogged, and yes you must avoid excessive potassium because this medicine is potassium sparing( it stores it) so anyway. Everyone will have a different reaction, I did not gain weight like everyone else mentioned, I lost 10 pounds actually, and it helped with my cramps and periods. Although when I was on 100 mg a day I was having some off periods.. And was a bit sleepy and had to pee a lot!

But all in all this medicine has been amazing to say the least.

by tessie on 03/01/2016 07:46
Also to add, I've been on this for 5 months now.
by steefinkys on 03/02/2016 20:22
Are the cystic ovaries a result of the medication?
by lyssgirl on 03/03/2016 05:58
How long did it take for you to see results after restarting the medication for the second time? I made the mistake of going off of it, though only for 2 months, and started breaking out. I've been back on it for a month and praying it clears me like last time.
Finally something that worked!
Reviewed on February 11, 2016

After 14 years of struggling with acne and trying everything under the sun, I am happy to say that my acne is almost completely gone with the help of spironolactone. I am kicking myself for not visiting a dermatologist sooner. I have been taking this medication for three months now. When I first began taking the medication I was prescribed 50 mg a day, in addition I was prescribed a benzoyl peroxide face wash for the morning and a Aczone topical, and in the evening wash with a gentle facial cleanser (I chose Cetaphil) and Ziana at night. Prior to this regimen, it was not uncommon for me to wake up with a minimum of 3-5 new pimples, many of them deep and painful. Within 2 weeks there was a significant change with the amount, frequency and type of pimples I would have. I would wake up with a pimple or two sometimes. During that first month I think I only had six pimples maximum. And they weren't mostly cystic, it was primarily little whiteheads, one cyst during my menstrual cycle. After the first month my dermatologist kept my regimen almost the same, only increasing my dosage of Spironolactone so I can hopefully clear up completely, I take 50 mg twice a day. Luckily I have not yet experienced any side effects during the course of using this medication and breakouts are incredibly rare, only a cyst or two around my period. I am so thankful that I took my dermatologist's recommendation! This has greatly improved my confidence and drastically reduced the time it takes for me to get ready in the morning. I don't have to spend an hour just trying to cover up acne anymore, it takes me fifteen to twenty minutes to put on a full face of makeup and run out the door and I don't feel like I have to hide anymore.

My Deep Acne is Gone
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

I'm 24 and I've struggled with acne and cynical acne since puberty. And, as I've gotten older, it has only gotten worse. Most of the acne was concentrated on my cheeks, jawline, chin, and neck.

I started on 25mgs for the first three months. There was quite a bit of improvement, but I still had some breakouts. It seemed like with every period cycle I would breakout out before my period, but then after, it would be much clearer than before.

At my three month dermatologist appointment, they upped me to 50mg. Now, after six months on this stuff I'm completely acne free! And, it has been YEARS since my face has been this clear.

I'm also on Aczone in the morning and Epiduo Forte at night.

At the beginning, I did stuffer a few side effects like low blood pressure/dizziness and loss of appetite. But, by taking the medication at night, it reduced the side effects to practically nothing.

If you're struggling with hormonal acne, I'd really give this a go. It's helped me out tremendously. It takes awhile complete clarity, but the results are definitely worth it.

by ekrieger on 02/10/2016 17:37
did you have an initial break out?
Getting off after 2 months of non-stop break outs and mood swings
Reviewed on February 4, 2016

ADVICE/INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have been on spironolactone for 2 months now. Here is what my experience has been like: new breakouts every day (one pimple at a time, sometimes clumps), horrible mood swings, some depression, acne in places I've never had it before, slower healing skin, darkening of all the hyperpygmentation on my face, nausea, and that's just to name a few. Heres some background information about me: I am a 21 year old college student. I always had good skin, probably one pimple on my face normally, if not clear. Around my 21st birthday I began to get ugly, long lasting deep pimples (not cysts but under the skin) around my period. My derm prescribed me this and from the 2nd week I took it the breakouts started. Deep cysts, followed now by just pimples popping up everywhere. I can't keep up with my skin and the stress it has caused me. Tomorrow I am going to my derm and I am going to try Bactrim for a few months to combat the breakouts I will probably get from getting off the medication. I also started aczone which has helped prevent new breakouts so far. I believe spiro was too strong of a medication for me to be put on. It fluctuated my hormones so severly that I am not sure if I will ever feel/look normal again. My advice, if you are young (25 and below), your hormones may not need another factor effecting them. I am hoping the best for this antibiotic but if not I am doing a low dose round of accutane. I apologize if I seem negative, however this has been the roughest 2-3 months of my life, I have little self confidence and I find myself avoiding going to class, seeing friends, and even seeing my boyfriend. I am sure for PCOS and older women, this drug is a miracle worker. However for me, it amplified the awful hormonal imbalances that I am facing at this time in my life. If you have had a similiar experience, or are my age and having these problems, please reach out. I also understand this medication can take up to 6 months to work, however my skin has already completely changed from it. I can hardly keep my pores unclogged, and while it has cut my oil production in half, my skin looks like a hyper pigmented mess and still produces acne (cystic included). Again, I apologize for the negativity and I hope all of us can find a way to manage our acne.

by TaneBabe on 02/10/2016 01:16
Just wanted to update for any people looking at this: I stopped spironolactone about 5 days ago, started Bactrim 6 days ago and the breakouts have almost completely stopped. Not just a bunch of acne marks and PIH, ugh. So glad I found what was causing my acne!
by Bonnie Armstrong on 02/14/2016 02:41
I am currently going through this right now. Please keep me posted on what ends up working for you!
by TaneBabe on 04/07/2016 19:41
Hey Bonnie! I know it has been a couple months but I ran across my review and wanted to update. After stopping spiro, my acne and overall skin condition dramatically improved. I stayed on Bactrim for almost 2 months and am now 23 days into my course of Accutane. I have only a few congested pores and some red marks left now, but this experience taught me that this medicine is not for people as young as me (21) or people with no signs of testosterone imbalance. How are you doing?
miracle
Reviewed on January 29, 2016

Has cleared up all of my acne and I'm only on 50 milligrams. my scars are starting to fade too!! so happy with the results

by TaneBabe on 02/04/2016 22:04
I have a few questions: how old are you? do you just take it once a day? how long did it take you to see results?
by alysiajackson on 02/25/2016 18:34
ive read that it gets worse at first before getting better taking this medicine, did yours do that?
Temporary fix/ Bandaid
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I've battled hormonal acne since age 10 Currently 22. I've been on every antibiotic and topical cream on the market and even did a course of accutane. I tried to fight the battle the NATURAL way for a year with no improvement. In 12/2014 my acne was the worse it's ever been I was depressed and stayed locked in my house hidden all winter. Finally the derm that I'd been seeing for two years finally stopped wasting my time and referred me to an OBGYN to treat my hormonal acne. 4/2015 I started taking Spiro at 25mg twice daily for two months and saw no results until I upped my dose to 100mg drastic change no more breakouts oil production cut in half my skin is gorgeous scars and all and with my scars fading no more huge pores my skin just continues to improve. It's now been 3 1/2 month's and I will continue to take this amazing med that has made daily life a ton better for me. A couple of weeks ago I started doing the ACV and Indian healing clay mask every 3 days and it's a black head blaster and is great at drawing impurities out of the skin. I may look into chemical peels for the deeper scarring I have but overall I'm happy and grateful to have came across this miracle drug my mood is even better depression is GONE and anxiety greatly reduced. The good out ways the bad for me.

CONS*:

Some tiredness here and there.

Thirst

Excessive urination at night on some nights after 2nd dose

Some dehydration in the a.m. due to urination at night

Made my period 2 days longer (was 5 days now 7days) but still regular every 25 days.

I may switch up my pill cycle to prevent this. Also this started only when I upped the dose to the 50mg twice daily so my body may still be adjusting.

I love this med and would recommended to anyone

UPDATE:

8-12-2015

So I'm going back down to 50mg a day because the side effects w/ 100mg have become a bit much my period is now irregular and I've been a bit depressed. Going back to 50mg .

UPDATE:

8/28/15

At 50mg the depression is gone but my oil production is back up so I'm getting some clogged pores and some breakouts very mild though. I'm considering upping the dose to 75mg as an attemp to control the oil so the clogged pore breakouts stop. 100mg is the magic dose for 100% clear glowing skin but the side effects are nothing but trouble.

****12/4/2015****

I no longer take Spiro for a number of reasons. It may seem like a maricle and fill you with joy to finally have some skin clarity however, at what cost? Smh Spiro is no good in my opinion it alters the way your kidneys function, spares too much potassium, messes with your thyroid, gives you sore breast, depression, irregular periods, dehydration, crazy fatigue and you WILL STILL HAVE ACNE. These are all the things I experienced while on spiro my skin was clearer but never completely clear I'd still get 2-3 jawline pimples around my period they would heal fast but I never got full clarity . Winter's here and now my skin is breaking out more and Spiro is not helping AT ALL and I feel I gave Spiro too much credit when I feel I owe that credit to the summer and the vitamin d(sun) I was getting all summer. The past 3 years I've watched my acne closely and I've notice that my acne is BAD in the winter and VERY MILD in the summer. I decided to try more natural things and recently started taking 6,000IU vitamin d, spearmint tea & peppermint tea along with a kidney and liver detox tea, I'm gonna keep doing this regimn and see how is goes. As for Spiro STAY AWAY

by ko12345 on 07/29/2015 20:16
How long were you on 100mg before you saw results?
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 13:51
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 14:03
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by ed13 on 08/13/2015 04:32
I am in the same spot as you, but I am still breaking out- want to go back to 50, wondering how ur doing and what side effects u had
Miracle drug with strange side effects!
Reviewed on January 25, 2016

I started getting cystic acne when I was about 15 and it all went downhill from there. Treatment after treatment antibiotics and so forth. I'm sure most of rwading this know the struggle.

I finally got referred to a competent Dermatologist in June of 2015 when I started taking Spiro along with a RetinA topical cream. It is now January 2016. My face used to be destroyed and covered in breakouts and cysts. I was so depressed most of the time that I'd be willing to go to far lengths just to not have this plague of a horrible disorder of the skin. It took time and patience, but now people don't even belive me when I say I had horrible acne. Just some light scaring and mild breakouts of a pimple or two around my cycle.

On that note, I did experience lots of side effects. Some people don't think it's worth it and it depends on the person but I was at my wits end.

Some side effects I experienced were:

Dizziness, bizarre dreams (especially when starting and lowering or higher ingredients doses), frequent urination, getting dehydrated easily, dry itchy scalp, dry itchy ears on inside, terrible fatigue, and now I've developed dermatitis on my elbows and hands. I am currently weaning of my 25mg twice a day original prescription to just take 25mg once until I stop taking all together. I am hoping this will help the dermatitis go away. My Dermatologist says the dry skin and dermatitis is unrelated but this started happening when I started the medicine so I don't see what else it could have been.

Regardless, I was so tired of having red painful dots that screamed "look at my weird face" all the time that I would happily trade it in for the side effects especially if they leave once I stop taking this medicine all together.

I'm curious if anyone else had these kind of side effects with dry skin?

Good luck.

by Exning on 02/05/2016 20:58
Sounds like an allergic reaction!