Page 3 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1083 reviews
Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

So Far So Good
Reviewed on February 19, 2015

I am a 20 year old woman. I had pretty decent skin in my teenage years with only a few breakouts from time to time. Starting about a year ago, I noticed that I would get one or two moderate sized cysts on my forehead every now and then. they were more stubborn and would leave hyperpigmentation scars. Then, this past August, I began to see many tiny bumps form on my chin by my jawline and on my cheeks. They were under the skin and so I didn't bother about them until slowly but surely, each tiny bump would expand into a large cyst. I wondered if this was due to stress from studying for the MCAT or schoolwork. I would lose a good amount of hair every day as well and this was frustrating to me. TMI warning: the cysts were not like typical whiteheads but rather had hard, white colored oil "chunks" inside and they would hurt when the cyst burst or when I tried to rupture them. The cyst would then disappear but only after it had burst and the strange white oil bit was gone. Meanwhile, the cysts left dark hyperpigmentation marks on my skin.

In the past, derms had put me on doxycycline mono and topical creams and washes but they did nothing for me. About a week after I started 100 mg of spiro a day, I noticed maybe 4 or 5 cyst breakouts that went away within a week and left scars. After that, I have noticed NO new formations of those tiny bumps that eventually become horrendous cysts. ZERO FORMATIONS. This is very new for me and I am extremely excited. I am now on my 4th week of spiro and after that initial breakout, I have had skin clear of breakouts. That being said, I am still left with hyperpigmentation scars for which I use Epiduo religiously and that seems to be working in lightening them up. My hair fall has reduced SIGNIFICANTLY which leads me to believe my adult acne was caused by hyperandrogenism or having too much testosterone. Apparently these hormonal imbalances can happen to young women (so unfair, isn't it?).

I would like to see myself with my teenage skin back in the next three months so I'll followup at that point but for now I am very happy. Yes, I no longer have that flowing hair and flawless skin that I used have but I think after suffering with something for months and finally getting a break like this -- I am very thankful. My self confidence has improved significantly and I am thrilled.

Side effects: I have experienced NO weight gain or weight loss. I do get dizzy but I drink lots of water to prevent that from happening. My breasts do feel tender but there has been no increase in cup size as some other users have mentioned. Finally, my menstrual cycle is absolutely normal.

Life changer
Reviewed on February 14, 2015

I never post on public forums like this but given my situation, I felt obligated to do so. I am a 32 year old female who has had acne, in some shape or form, for over 20 years. I would describe my acne as moderate to, at times, severe. I have seen a dermatologist since I was 12 and have been on pretty much every acne treatment available (with the exception of Accutane): topical and oral antibiotics, retin-a, tazorac, aczone, birth control, etc. I think about my acne every day (it's hard to forget about your acne when your face is covered with painful cysts and scars.) A few months ago, my regular dermatologist informed me that she is leaving the hospital in Massachusetts I was seeing her at and moving back to California. I therefore searched far and wide for a new doctor and after a 6 month waiting period, I was able to secure an appointment with a new doctor. Within 30 seconds of meeting me she said "Your acne is hormonal. It's located primarily on your cheeks and jawline." She then suggested spiro (and recommended I continue using Differin which has, I must admit, unclogged a lot of my pores; granted it took about 6-8 months to see noticeable results with that drug. Note, however, that Differin didn't stop the formation of acne but rather cleared out my pores.) Back to spiro... The doctor gave me 25 mg to take twice a day. Within a week, I stopped getting acne. A week! (The doctor said it would take 6 weeks to see results). I wake up in the morning and expect to see new acne formations: none! I touch my skin and it is smooth. I honestly cannot believe it. You spend 20 years living with acne, hiding the outbreaks and scars with makeup, canceling plans and avoiding places with bright lights due to self consciousness and then one day, it goes away completely. I have been on spiro for two weeks now and have had no new outbreaks so I have my fingers crossed that I have finally found my wonder drug. I truly wish I knew about this drug sooner because I, quite frankly, avoided "living" because I was so embarrassed about my skin. If you have acne around your jawline and cheeks, ask your dermatologist about this drug. It has changed my life and I hope it can change yours too.

by calcium3 on 02/18/2015 00:24
I am located in Boston too- who was/ is your dermatologist? Thanks for sharing!
by Angelacpa on 02/18/2015 02:04
Dr. Lindsay Eminger is my new dermatologist but she is located on the South Shore (Easton). Well worth the commute. She takes the time to walk through your concerns, different treatment options, etc. I like her a lot,
by Angelacpa on 03/14/2015 01:01
Update: I have been on Spiro for two months. 99% of my clogged pores have disappeared. I have had maybe 2-3 small zits that cleared up in a day around my time of month. No other breakouts. No side effects (blood pressure and potassium levels are normal), with the exception of being thirsty a lot. It is a weird experience waking up with clear skin and not dreading looking in the mirror. I have started to go out more and experience life. Next steps: laser treatments to minimize the acne scarring that has accumulated over 20 years.
by Angelacpa on 03/14/2015 01:01
So thirsty!
Reviewed on February 3, 2015

Background info:

I starting getting acne when I was 16 years old (Currently 23). All through my teens it was mostly little zits all over my forehead and chin. I started birth control that year to keep control of my acne but it only did so much. The next couple years I switched birth controls twice and literally tried every over-the-counter topical treatments and wash, along with 3 other topical treatments from the dermatologist (Aczone, Tazorac, etc.). NOTHING HELPED. All those topical treatments would do was dry out my face and then I would break out even more. I became so frustrated and gave up. I figured through high school and college it was semi-normal to have bad acne and thought it would go away as I matured. Nope, not the case....around age 20 just when I thought my acne was going away naturally my face blew up with cysts. The acne "moved" from my forehead/chin to my cheeks and instead of little zits they were deep cysts, sometimes painful to touch. It has been awful. I haven't been able to leave the house without makeup for over 5 years (which really sucks as an athletic person, I workout everyday). I workout daily, drink a lot of water and have a balanced diet. I came to the conclusion this is 100% hormonal acne. I decided to see a dermatologist and went it determined to start Accutane. She thought it would be better to try something else and less harsh on my body.

Medication:

I started this med on 12/29/2014 along with a topical cream from my dermatologists (Going on my 5th week). The first couple weeks I didn't notice much. My pores were shrinking slightly and I noticed a decreased size in my normal cysts. I was breaking out more (the cysts were just smaller in clusters) but it hasn't bothered me that much because hey, I have acne, it's normal for me, right? Going into my 5th week I'm starting to see slightly less acne. I'm wondering if it comes and goes for awhile before it really gets better. The most noticeable side effect is INCREASED THIRST which in turn requires me to go to the bathroom every 30 min. I am SO thirsty all the time. I have already drank 3 large water bottles before 9am today and am still thirsty. Other than that, I haven't noticed any other side effects.

Bottom line:

It seems to be working and I have a lot of hope for this medication. If you haven't tried any hormonal pill treatment, I highly recommended seeing a dermatologists. I should have went on this 3 years ago and now I am stuck with ugly scars on my cheeks. Once the acne dies down a bit I'm going to start using chemical peels to help with the acne scar resurfacing. I'm also thinking I might cut diary out of my diet because I love milk, cheeses, yogurt, etc.

I'll update this post in a few weeks to really share the results. Good luck! Thanks everyone for the encouraging process!

by soozie123 on 02/11/2015 04:49
What topical cream are you using along with this medication?
Miracle pill!
Reviewed on January 23, 2015

As a teenager I had issues where I needed to be put on birth control, which in turn cleared up my mild acne. The birth control worked for a few years, then at 22 my acne went crazy. It was worse than I had ever had it before. It mainly consisted of painful cysts that stuck around for weeks. After trying topical medications and different face wash regimens, along with new birth control, I still had no luck. I was starting to have other symptoms that I attributed to having a hormonal imbalance, and it was then that I decided to see a hormone specialist. The dr. prescribed me 100mg spironolactone daily and a low dose birth control. This was in April of 2014. I will admit that the initial breakout with this medication was severe and difficult to deal with. It left me in tears and I almost quit taking it. I am so glad that I stuck with it. After being on spiro for a few months I already saw amazing results. It took about 6 months or so to see the full results, and since then my skin has been 100% clear, and I don't have to worry about waking up with new acne on my face. I still have some dark spots and scars, but through exfoliation even those are starting to fade. I am so thankful for this drug!

by sladnacne on 02/11/2015 19:12
At what point did you start to see an improvement? And was it gradual or did it happen all at once?
Glad it worked for others, but it is not for me
Reviewed on January 23, 2015

My skin became so much worse after taking 100mg a day of this medicine. I was hoping it was just the initial breakout I kept reading about, but after about 3 months on the drug my acne became disfiguring with multiple huge cysts and whiteheads, and I also developed some sort of strange facial rash in conjunction with the acne. I also had horrible leg cramps and felt thirsty all the time despite drinking up to 10 glasses of water a day, So I guess next up is Accutane.

Taking erythromycin and am going to take spiro
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

I have been taking erythromycin and tactuo gel for over 4 months and am seeing decent results but my derm recommended adding spiro. Wondering if anyone has tried this combo. Also concerned about the initial breakout when starting spiro but maybe the erythromycin will help with that. If anyone has any personal experience would love to know.

by Gmomma211 on 02/18/2015 11:39
I was given Doryx (doxycycline) with my initial rx for spironolactone. My dr said they use the antibiotic in conjunction to help with the breakouts because it takes some time for the spiro to go to work.
Trying to stay positive!
Reviewed on January 18, 2015

Ive been on Spiro for almost a month. 50 mg twice daily as well as minocyclin 50 mg twice a day and 0.1 Trentinon(spelling) cream at night. I haven't seen any improvements. Some days my skin looks even worse. I'm trying to stay positive. Here's a little background about myself. I'm 30 years old and my skin has never been as bad as it is now. I've suffered from cystic acne since puberty and I've always kept it somewhat under control with anti-biotics, a clean diet and a ton of exercise. I've modeled for some years, and have always had to apologize for my skin. It's caused such low self esteem. I had a horrible back injury this last September, and since my skin has worsened. Rough texture, oily, and painful, and beck acne which I've never had. I'm back to work as a personal assistant, embarrassed of how I look, like my skin is all people see. Turning down modeling jobs. In a nutshell it's causing me to be severely depressed. I have a supportive boyfriend who constantly gives me words of hope.

Also, All of your reviews have given me strength, so I thank you! At this point I can say Acne is a disease. I don't wish it in anyone. All I can hope is that Spiro brings me some results SOON! Il keep you all posted!

by Leltb on 01/24/2015 17:22
I'm in the same boat! Reviews keep me hopeful but no major improvements after 7 weeks...
by atabanana29 on 02/02/2015 18:19
It took about three months to see improvement. It really helped my back too! It will work! Just push through!
by Mlucero2 on 02/05/2015 04:54
Thanks for the hopeful words! Still haven't seen any improvements, I started taking Spiro on December 29, 2014. Not sure if I should just stick it out or take the plunge and try accutane. I'm meeting with a new dermatologist tomorrow. So hopefully she can give me some strong words of advice. Or up me 50mg twice a day to 100mg twice a day. I'm Losing myself over my skin and it's an awful feeling. Fingers crossed that time heals it.
by Gmomma211 on 02/18/2015 11:44
Hang in there!! Cliche, yes, but it will do the job. I was the biggest skeptic and after 2 months I've turned a corner and it's finally working for me. I'm on 100 mg spiro in the am and 50 mg in the pm. Im also using aczone twice a day and ziana at night. Stick with it because after having been on everything else and suffering from face, back, chest and neck acne I'd just about given up!
by jasminevt on 03/21/2015 02:44
i've been on Spiro for 5 weeks and my skin looks worse than ever. Did it eventually work?
give it time, may have to move to higher doses.
Reviewed on January 18, 2015

I started out on 50 mg twice daily for moderate hormonal acne. I didn't see much improvement after three months, and thought I was actually getting worse at times. The only change I noticed was decreased oil production. My derm upped by dose to 150 mg a day and after about two weeks of that, I started seeing more improvement than I did in the first three months of treatment. This pill takes time, and from my experience and what I have heard from others, it can take getting up to the higher doses to really see changes. I have now been on spiro for 5 months and my acne is 60 percent improved-- in the long run that is not very long for the results I am now seeing. If your derm starts you out on 50 or 100 mg, be patient. They have to make sure your levels are okay to tolerate the medication.

Seems like a Miracle Pill for Acne
Reviewed on January 17, 2015

I've been taking Spiro for about a year and a half now. Before I started, I had mild-moderate acne. But it was embarrassing, because I would get big pustules or cysts sometimes and NOTHING was working. I finally went to a derm who I knew prescribed Spiro and she gave it to me right away. I started off on 50 mg, then increased to 100. It took maybe 2 months to kick in and then I was completely clear. I didn't get a single zit for a YEAR. That's amazing if you're an acne sufferer like me. I recently stopped taking it just to 'experiment' because I thought maybe I had just grown out of my acne by now. But my skin's been breaking out, so I guess it really was the Spiro working. I've started taking it again and am hoping it will work just as well. If you're a female and have tried nearly everything, I highly recommend Spiro. It's also decreased my oil production in my skin so I am not having to constantly blot my face.

by username2155 on 04/08/2015 20:40
Just curious: did you take spiro alone or with hormonal birth control? My new derm prescribed both, but will not renew the BC prescription -- which would require me to find a new primary care physician here. Just curious if the spiro is working well for you without hormonal bc.
Not sufficient alone for me but a very big help
Reviewed on January 3, 2015

I'm 30 y.o. female, had adult acne for at least 10 years but it got much worse the past 4 (grad school and moving to Louisiana climate probably didn't help). My mother had terrible acne until menopause and I was almost resigned to the same fate after spending thousands of dollars on all sorts of stuff over the years, including dermatologists, with no long-term solution. I've been on BC the whole itme which has helped minimally. I tried spiro alone for a month and saw some, but not much change. What finally worked for me has been topical tretinoin cream (1%, the strongest Rx), WITH spironolactone 100mg in the morning AND a long cycle of minacycline to clear up the rest after the initial breakout/adjustment period was over. During the 3 days before and 4 days after my period starts, I increase to 100mg in AM and 50mg PM. It took about 3-4 months to get to a clean slate but for then for the past 3 months I've finally reached a good maintenance period where I can even miss a day or two of my normal routine / meds and not have a problem- now just waiting for the scars to disappear. It used to be disaster if I so much as used a different face wash. An important note though: For 6 weeks I was taking 100 am plus 100 pm. When I went for lab check, my potassium was on the borderline level. I had eaten a persimmon the day before, which is high in potassium (I didn't realize this until I researched it after the lab results) but still, I want to reiterate the importance of lab checks until you get everything sorted out if your doctor recommends. Heart health > complexion. Anyway, I did notice diuretic effects the first week but after that either my body adjusted or I just stopped noticing the frequency of having to pee. I gained 1lb since starting it but I don't think that is due to the spiro. My breasts were a little tender at first and my husband said they were a little bigger but I can't tell. Def better to take in the AM than evening if you have a choice though because you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night unnecessarily to go to the restroom. At first, my face was embarrassingly dry but this was primarily due to the tretinoin and I knew I just had to suffer through it. Now that my skin has adjusted, another (what I consider huge) benefit of spiro is my hair is much less oily (as is my face). Before I had to wash it every 3 days; now I wash it every 7-8 (unless I sweat a lot, in which case I'm washing on principle, not b/c it's oily). I dread having to give spiro up if/when I get pregnant. You def need to maintain dr's supervision on this med though. This is a long review but hope the info is helpful!

by bm93 on 01/07/2015 04:51
Is retin-a the same as tretinon because im using retin a daily and spirono daily has made a huge chAnge still have 5 tiny bumps on face and alot of red and dark marks from post cystic acne dat cleared up..