Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1168 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Still unsure!
Reviewed on February 8, 2017

I have been using spironolactone for nearly 2.5 months now. I start in Nov. 2016 and have been taking 100mg per day before going to bed. I have not experienced drastic side effects like some people luckily, so I've tolerated the medication well. I haven't not seen an improvement yet :/ I am sticking it out for 3 months though before my next check up with the Dermatologist. I know it takes time for it to build up in your system, but when I talked to my dermatologist the other week she felt that there should be SOME sort of improvements by now even if they are small. This is so hard to measure though unless you're taking pictures. Hoping that this is the solution though and sticking it out is worth it!

by stacyxo on 04/24/2017 16:17
Have you seen any results since then ?? I've been on it for a little over a month and I have not seen that much improvement so far.
Spiro- 3 weeks in
Reviewed on February 6, 2017

Hi!

This is the first time I have ever posted a review on here, but I am really excited to be trying Spiro finally. I have been experiencing breakouts since I was 14 (I am now 23) and literally have tried absolutely everything in the book. Some treatments temporarily cleared me up but initially dried out my skin so much they ended up causing even more breakouts. Finally I decided that my breakouts must be hormonal, possibly a sympton of PCOS. I have been on ortho tri cylen lo for about a year and it has helped reduce some of the breakouts but not all. That's when my gyno recommended trying Spiro. I am currently taking 50 mg a day and am 3 weeks in. I know it takes much longer than this to see the full results but so far it hasn't been that bad. I had a little bit of a breakout the first week I took it- but as of right now it seems to be clearing my skin. Has anyone had the initial breakout come after the first month of taking it?

Also my skin is dryer than normal right now but I'm hoping that evens out once my body adjusts to the Spiro even more. I will right another review in a few weeks with an update! Good luck to everyone trying this- I'm praying it works.

Took a Little Time, but Totally Worth It
Reviewed on January 25, 2017

I was on spiro for about 4-5 months before it FINALLY started to work. I had mild-moderate acne before, which i had under control for 3 years on Doxycycline. Of course, you can't be on antibiotics forever so I was taken off of Doxy and it came back full force. Then my derm put me on spiro and i started out at 25mg, which wasn't enough. I was bumped up to 50mg (once per day) after 2 months, which cleared everything right up! I never thought anything would work as well as Doxycycline at clearing my acne, but I get even fewer occassional pimples now than I did on antibiotics! I was on birth control for 3 years before I took spiro (and I'm still on it), so I think that really helped minimize side effects.

by GoldenLove on 02/06/2017 04:37
Hi! Thanks so much for your review. It gives me hope lol. I am currently 3 weeks in on taking Spiro and haven't had too many negative side effects yet. I was just curious if you had an initial breakout with this? I haven't yet so I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if it's coming lol.
Awful Experience
Reviewed on January 22, 2017

As we can all see the incredible 5 star reviews obviously means this works for some women. But for myself it wasn't even close to being a pleasant experience. Im not exaggerating , I had to pee ALL the time. I drank a ton of water because I had a terribly dry mouth . I also had no appetite ( I normally LOVE food) . My cycle this month was the worst I had in my entire life, I had a migraine , vomited and cramps like no other. I went back to my dermatologist and she said this is clearly not the drug for me. I am already feeling better and only been off of it for 3 days. ( for those of you wondering about more detail as to what dosage and how long I was on it : I was on 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks and then 75mg for a week before stopping it.) I wouldn't recommend this because #1 my experience and #2 you'll have to be on this for life if it does end up working for you, at first i didn't really think that far ahead as I really just want my skin to be clearer but I really would prefer not to be on a pill for the rest of my life that messes with my body the way it did. But its worked for so many women so its always worth a try if you want to.

Time and Patience
Reviewed on January 21, 2017

I am a 38 year old female who has had fluctuating acne for over 22 years. My acne piqued about 4 years ago. I'm talking persistent, mind numblingly painful cystic acne on my chin, jawline and unto my neck, they reproduced and had babies all over my face, forehead and anywhere there was room, including on top of each other (ouchie!!). My face was an oil field requiring face blotting every hour. I had been on the BP regimen for years prior but it did nothing for the the cysts when they came full force seemingly out of nowhere. I still thank the BP regimen for years and years of controlled acne, so no resiment here, it just wasn't a match for for my spastic hormones. I needed a systemic fix, not just topical.

A sidebar to reflect on some facts of life:

1) We live in a society that demands a quick fix. You see it all over TV, radio, etc... But the reality is quite different. It took years and years of imbalance for your hormones to turn spastic for a plethora of reasons (age, genes, family history, environment, diet, etc). Your hormonal acne and the underworkings did not just suddenly happen although it feels that way. So give Spirinolactone at least that same amount of time to do its job. It's a systemic drug. It needs to be given months and months of tweaking with the dosage before you can expect it to work.

2) Manage your expectations. This med worked for me but it is not a miracle drug. I had a horrendous initial breakout once the dosage was increased. I was a hermit for months. I started at the lowest dosage and that did nothing for me other than make me go pee a lot. Painfully and slowly, my derm increased the dosage to the max allowed which is 100mg twice a day. That was 8 months ago. I continued to pee a lot, my oil production was cut by 90% , I had headaches, my period was coming every two weeks and my acne decreased by 85%. I was persistent. Even though I wanted to quit because I wanted perfect, glowing skin and microscopic pores right now (see bullet point #1 ;))!

3) At 8 months out with the 200mg daily dose and having been on this med for almost 2 years with incremental dosage increases, I now have zero oil which requires copious amounts a daily moisturizer (because I'm dry now 🙂). I still get a few pimples around ovulation and my period. I still pee a lot but I'm used to it now. Headaches are gone once my body got used to the increase in dosage. My period has normalized although my cycles are shorter but the flip side is that my periods are lighter. Win/win.

4) Quality of life: improved! I still have a few pimples but I'm ok w that. I have improved 90% overall and I can live w that considering where I started.

Conclusion: Be patient ladies. Hormonal acne is vicious and soul sucking but you are not alone and you can push through! These blogs and positive reviews inspired me and helped me suck it up on days I just wanted to stay in bed and eat lime flavored chips all day long 🙂. I promised myself I would pay it forward and write a review once my acne was under control. If only to inspire one person to push through and be persistent with the medication, I feel like it was worth it. Each individual person has to reach their own conclusion on the risk/benefit of any drug they are taking. There is no risk-less medication out there, do your due diligence, inform yourself and be comfortable in your decision. Most importantly, remember that you are not alone and there are others out there dealing with the same thing. I'm sending you all happy vibes and a wish for glowing, acne free, with maybe the occasional little pimple 😉 Skin!

Persevere, you got this!

by GoldenLove on 02/06/2017 04:40
Hi! Thank you so much for this amazing review. I was wondering if you got an initial breakout with this and if so did you get it right away or later on? I am 3 weeks in and haven't had one yet.
Desperate...
Reviewed on January 19, 2017

First of all, I apologize for my English which is not very good because I am French.

I am 23 years old, I have been taking the Jasmine pill for 5 years and I have never had acne in my teens.

Since June, acne has invaded my face only but very importantly with medium-sized white buttons and a rough set.

All summer I lived the hell you trying all the parapharmacie creams ...

In September I went to see a dermatologist who put me under Doxiciline and, from the first week, I had practically nothing any more I did not believe ...

Then every week I had hundreds of small pimples that grew on the chin and lower cheeks. The dermatologist believing that I was having an allergic reaction to the sun, prescribed cortisone cream ... Indeed it worked rather well, but it came back every week again and again until the day it no longer had any effect .. .

I started to develop acne on the forehead and days again.

I therefore go back to consult this dermatologist who made me do a biopsy (thinking that it could be a mushroom of the repeated use of cortisone cream) which demonstrated the absence of fungi. I also did a hormonal blood test showing no abnormality either ... She did not know what to do for me ...

So she sent me to a colleague who specializes in acne.

My acne covered my face, forehead and cheeks with a grainy set, buttons bigger than others not piercing and an oily layer.

This new dermatologist then prescribed Spironolactone in addition to my 4th generation Jasmine pill to control androgens.

After 5 weeks at 100mg no results except that the oily aspect has disappeared. My skin is always covered with this grainy layer with pimples at the bottom of the cheeks and in the middle of the forehead.

As for the side effects that this medicine gives me I would say that I go to the toilet every hour but it is not really annoying (well it would not be if I had good results on my skin ...). I lost 2kg being already very lean it is all the same boring ... So I drink a lot of water to compensate for this loss.

After 5 weeks at 100mg without results, I went back to see the dermatologist who passed me at 150mg a day ...

It is now a week that I take this dose, and I really feel tired, dizzy, nauseated ... If the results on my face would be visible I will take on me without problem.

But you forget no results. Always this rough coat and those bigger buttons on the front and lower cheeks.

And still as many tears every day for two months now ...

Do you think this is normal that after 6 weeks under Spironolactone there are no results?

I see your opinions and this drug is prescribed to adult women having acne with big cysts which is not my type of acne. Can Spironolactone work on my type of acne?

While knowing that I have no visible hormonal disorder on the blood tests ...

Thank you for your answers ...

by girlvle on 01/23/2017 17:25
It took 5 months for me to see clearing. 6 weeks probably not enough time, plus also every time I upped the dose it got worse before better. Give it more time. I don't know about your type of acne and spiro unfortunately.
by Julia2626 on 01/23/2017 19:09
Thank you so much for your answer Girlvle ! I took Spiro for 8 weeks and no results for that moment... Have a good evening :)
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:33
Hey even I am on my third month. Just completed the second one I think we should wait.let's be positive. :)
Spiro
Reviewed on January 18, 2017

Hi. I am a 21 year old female with hormonal acne. All throughout college I have dealt with non stop acne on my chin and mouth area. After trying many different birth controls and topicals I was beginning to feel like I couldn't do it on my own. I have been on 100 mg for a month and my skin has transformed. It definetly got worse before it started getting better. Please understand that this pill is no joke I have lost 7 pounds and my appetite. I am hoping that after 6 months I can start to slwoly go off of it. For the time being tho the results are great.

Acne completely gone!
Reviewed on January 17, 2017

Perfectly clear skin now! Haven't had skin this good since I was a child!

It doesn't work overnight, it really kicked in at about the 2-3 month mark, but absolutely it worked for my constant hormonal cystic acne which I've had for years!

by Katm30w on 01/17/2017 11:22
PS. My dermatologist said going on this would mean I wouldn't feel like I needed to wear make up anymore and she is abolsuteky right, this completely cleared my skin and I've stopped wearing foundation all together!
New on Spironolactone
Reviewed on January 12, 2017

Hi, I'm new on this site and actually very new on Spiro. I have never been through the acne thing in my whole life, I would get maybe 1 or 2 pimples a year, had very pretty skin. I just turned 50 and I noticed that I started breaking out on my jawlines and chin pretty bad, never had this ever before. I have tried everything from Clearasil to home-made products, nothing has helped me at all, I tried mostly everything. Finally my daughter told me to go and see a skin doctor, which wasn't cheap at all, my co-pay is $40. When I saw the dr, he asked me a couple of questions, looked at my skin and said that I have Hormonal and Cystic acne, he gave me a prescription of Spironolactone, 25 mg. twice a day and a prescription for some facial cream which cost about $100 a tube. I filled the Spiro but couldn't get the cream because I didn't have enough money for that. I started taking the Spiro 2 days ago which is too early to tell any results yet. Could anyone tell me more about this Spiro, the side effects and how long would it take to work, please tell me everything I would appreciate this so much, I have heard a lot of negative things about this drug and I'm pretty scared about taking it, but I desperately want my clear skin back, please help. (dede)

by Katm30w on 01/17/2017 11:20
I was pretty nervous about taking this too, I started in October and it was a gradual process but it absolutely cleared my skin! I even stopped wearing make up for the first time in 10 years!
by dede2fun on 01/18/2017 00:38
Thanks Katm for adding that, but did you have any side-effects from the pill and how much were you on?, Thanks!
by girlvle on 01/18/2017 21:05
I am 48 and it took 5 months to clear and it got worse before better. You skin may get very dry at first on this med. Topicals did nothing for me either. I started with 50 mgs a day and then last month upped to 100 mgs a day. Side effects were break out, dry skin, very occasional dizziness when exercising and needing to drink more water. Stay on it and be patient.
by Kitsu23 on 02/20/2017 08:45
The pharmacy should have dispensed a drug information packet with the prescription. It's a potassium sparing diuretic so be careful about taking in potassium containing foods in your diet. It may increase your need to urinate since it's a diuretic. Make sure you tell your pharmacist about all of your meds to check for potentially life threatening drug interactions.
Second month into spiro
Reviewed on January 7, 2017

Okay so I started taking spiro one n a half months back, I was dealing with cystic kinda acne on my jawline n cheeks n some pimples on my forehead , all of these things use to get worse around the period, so I think it's hormonal plus my doc told me that I hv pcos but I never did a hormone test. I had skin during my life but since last year I started getting acne, and slowly and steadily everything went to cystic and painful bumps, I am 23 now.. I did a lot of research and got encouraged from this website only, for results I could say as people say you could have an IB, yes I had it for like for the first three weeks since beginning, it's too early to say anything but I can see my pores are less clogged, my period is coming every 15 days. Peeing problem yes I had it though I guess my body is adjusting it to it now. Will get back next month to share what's going on for now spiro is worth trying!

by Fellowyogi on 01/16/2017 22:40
Hello, what is your dosage? I just start sprio a month ago and will be on 75mg a day for a month. I was on 25mg for 2 weeks and 50mg for 2 weeks. I haven't noticed anything different so I wanted to know what dosage you are on . Thank you
by Shwetaskyd on 01/17/2017 18:59
I take 100mg at night. Try a higher dosage.
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:39
I think it's improving. Be patient ladies :) keep your head high . Try to keep your skin clear also combine any topical for the extra effect. Try taking zinc supplements along with spironolactone if you think you are deficient or you are a vegetarian.
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:39