Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1165 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Desperate...
Reviewed on January 19, 2017

Since June, acne has invaded my face only but very importantly with medium-sized white buttons and a rough set.

All summer I lived the hell you trying all the parapharmacie creams ...

In September I went to see a dermatologist who put me under Doxiciline and, from the first week, I had practically nothing any more I did not believe ...

Then every week I had hundreds of small pimples that grew on the chin and lower cheeks. The dermatologist believing that I was having an allergic reaction to the sun, prescribed cortisone cream ... Indeed it worked rather well, but it came back every week again and again until the day it no longer had any effect .. .

I started to develop acne on the forehead and days again.

I therefore go back to consult this dermatologist who made me do a biopsy (thinking that it could be a mushroom of the repeated use of cortisone cream) which demonstrated the absence of fungi. I also did a hormonal blood test showing no abnormality either ... She did not know what to do for me ...

So she sent me to a colleague who specializes in acne.

This new dermatologist then prescribed Spironolactone in addition to my 4th generation Jasmine pill to control androgens.

After 5 weeks at 100mg no results except that the oily aspect has disappeared. My skin is always covered with this grainy layer with pimples at the bottom of the cheeks and in the middle of the forehead.

As for the side effects that this medicine gives me I would say that I go to the toilet every hour but it is not really annoying (well it would not be if I had good results on my skin ...). I lost 2kg being already very lean it is all the same boring ... So I drink a lot of water to compensate for this loss.

After 5 weeks at 100mg without results, I went back to see the dermatologist who passed me at 150mg a day ...

It is now a week that I take this dose, and I really feel tired, dizzy, nauseated ... If the results on my face would be visible I will take on me without problem.

But you forget no results. Always this rough coat and those bigger buttons on the front and lower cheeks.

And still as many tears every day for two months now ...

I see your opinions and this drug is prescribed to adult women having acne with big cysts which is not my type of acne. Can Spironolactone work on my type of acne?

While knowing that I have no visible hormonal disorder on the blood tests ...

Thank you for your answers ...

by girlvle on 01/23/2017 17:25
It took 5 months for me to see clearing. 6 weeks probably not enough time, plus also every time I upped the dose it got worse before better. Give it more time. I don't know about your type of acne and spiro unfortunately.
by Julia2626 on 01/23/2017 19:09
Thank you so much for your answer Girlvle ! I took Spiro for 8 weeks and no results for that moment... Have a good evening :)
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:33
Hey even I am on my third month. Just completed the second one I think we should wait.let's be positive. :)
Spiro
Reviewed on January 18, 2017

Hi. I am a 21 year old female with hormonal acne. All throughout college I have dealt with non stop acne on my chin and mouth area. After trying many different birth controls and topicals I was beginning to feel like I couldn't do it on my own. I have been on 100 mg for a month and my skin has transformed. It definetly got worse before it started getting better. Please understand that this pill is no joke I have lost 7 pounds and my appetite. I am hoping that after 6 months I can start to slwoly go off of it. For the time being tho the results are great.

Acne completely gone!
Reviewed on January 17, 2017

Perfectly clear skin now! Haven't had skin this good since I was a child!

It doesn't work overnight, it really kicked in at about the 2-3 month mark, but absolutely it worked for my constant hormonal cystic acne which I've had for years!

by Katm30w on 01/17/2017 11:22
PS. My dermatologist said going on this would mean I wouldn't feel like I needed to wear make up anymore and she is abolsuteky right, this completely cleared my skin and I've stopped wearing foundation all together!
New on Spironolactone
Reviewed on January 12, 2017

Hi, I'm new on this site and actually very new on Spiro. I have never been through the acne thing in my whole life, I would get maybe 1 or 2 pimples a year, had very pretty skin. I just turned 50 and I noticed that I started breaking out on my jawlines and chin pretty bad, never had this ever before. I have tried everything from Clearasil to home-made products, nothing has helped me at all, I tried mostly everything. Finally my daughter told me to go and see a skin doctor, which wasn't cheap at all, my co-pay is $40. When I saw the dr, he asked me a couple of questions, looked at my skin and said that I have Hormonal and Cystic acne, he gave me a prescription of Spironolactone, 25 mg. twice a day and a prescription for some facial cream which cost about $100 a tube. I filled the Spiro but couldn't get the cream because I didn't have enough money for that. I started taking the Spiro 2 days ago which is too early to tell any results yet. Could anyone tell me more about this Spiro, the side effects and how long would it take to work, please tell me everything I would appreciate this so much, I have heard a lot of negative things about this drug and I'm pretty scared about taking it, but I desperately want my clear skin back, please help. (dede)

by Katm30w on 01/17/2017 11:20
I was pretty nervous about taking this too, I started in October and it was a gradual process but it absolutely cleared my skin! I even stopped wearing make up for the first time in 10 years!
by dede2fun on 01/18/2017 00:38
Thanks Katm for adding that, but did you have any side-effects from the pill and how much were you on?, Thanks!
by girlvle on 01/18/2017 21:05
I am 48 and it took 5 months to clear and it got worse before better. You skin may get very dry at first on this med. Topicals did nothing for me either. I started with 50 mgs a day and then last month upped to 100 mgs a day. Side effects were break out, dry skin, very occasional dizziness when exercising and needing to drink more water. Stay on it and be patient.
by Kitsu23 on 02/20/2017 08:45
The pharmacy should have dispensed a drug information packet with the prescription. It's a potassium sparing diuretic so be careful about taking in potassium containing foods in your diet. It may increase your need to urinate since it's a diuretic. Make sure you tell your pharmacist about all of your meds to check for potentially life threatening drug interactions.
Second month into spiro
Reviewed on January 7, 2017

Okay so I started taking spiro one n a half months back, I was dealing with cystic kinda acne on my jawline n cheeks n some pimples on my forehead , all of these things use to get worse around the period, so I think it's hormonal plus my doc told me that I hv pcos but I never did a hormone test. I had skin during my life but since last year I started getting acne, and slowly and steadily everything went to cystic and painful bumps, I am 23 now.. I did a lot of research and got encouraged from this website only, for results I could say as people say you could have an IB, yes I had it for like for the first three weeks since beginning, it's too early to say anything but I can see my pores are less clogged, my period is coming every 15 days. Peeing problem yes I had it though I guess my body is adjusting it to it now. Will get back next month to share what's going on for now spiro is worth trying!

by Fellowyogi on 01/16/2017 22:40
Hello, what is your dosage? I just start sprio a month ago and will be on 75mg a day for a month. I was on 25mg for 2 weeks and 50mg for 2 weeks. I haven't noticed anything different so I wanted to know what dosage you are on . Thank you
by Shwetaskyd on 01/17/2017 18:59
I take 100mg at night. Try a higher dosage.
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:39
I think it's improving. Be patient ladies :) keep your head high . Try to keep your skin clear also combine any topical for the extra effect. Try taking zinc supplements along with spironolactone if you think you are deficient or you are a vegetarian.
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:39
Cured my Oily Skin
Reviewed on January 3, 2017

Long story short - I have had normal skin all my life. Even when I had terrible acne as a teen, I never had issues with my skin being too oily or dry. Suddenly, at age 23 I went through some weird hormonal change and developed super oily skin & hair along with cystic acne along my jawline. Went on the birth control pill (Ortho Tri-Cyclen) which completely cleared my acne in 3-4 months. However I was still struggling with this abnormal oiliness & it was being to take over my life. So, I added in Spiro to the mix.

My hair would get so greasy that I could barely go 2 days without washing. My skin would get SO shiny that I looked like I was sweaty and gross all the time. I could never relax - I was always worried about blotting my skin & my makeup never looked normal. Because my skin was so oily I developed a red rash along my cheeks & a skin condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis. I also had a nose full of blackheads and little red bumps/clogged pores that would appear in my t-zone. As an adult working a professional job, it was seriously taking a toll on my confidence and my work. Trying to talk to clients with a face that makes me look like a 14 Year old going through puberty was almost impossible. Even though I had conquered the acne, I felt like I hadn't really made any progress because having such oily skin felt just horrible.

Spironolactone has finally relieved me of this issue. I started on 100 mg, which actually ended up making my skin too dry (NO complaints there). So, I bumped it down to 50 mg and things have been great. I no longer have to worry about my skin constantly, I no longer even need blotting papers, and I feel normal again. It has been about 4 months, and for me it started working within the first month. I personally have not experienced any weird side effects. It made me have to pee more frequently when I first started, but once my body got used to it I didn't have an issue. I take it with food, because if I don't I sometimes wake up with a stomach ache (I take mine at night). Otherwise, everything has been good!

by tle78 on 02/01/2017 22:56
Your story is the one I can relate to the most other than teen acne. Never had acne until after my first child was born. And as I get older it seems to get worse. And the oil in my hair and skin is like you said looks like an oil slick. Hate it and my son always makes remarks about it. On top of this I have rosacea too. My face is a mess. Got the rosacea under control and now the acne stands out. Will be starting the Spiro tomorrow and hope that it will help soon. I will be patient because everyone says that it can take time to start seeing results.
Perfect for those who want to have stomach ulcers or gastritis
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

I was taking Aldactone (100 mg a day) for a year and got clear skin after two weeks. But my period dissappeared and I was heart-burned. Then I changed to another generic brand and it was surprising that after two weeks I had gastristis. Other side-effects: anxiety, increase in urine and low libido. Now I'm taking natural supplements like Maca (Peruvian Root) and Reishi Mushroom to balance my hormones. Hope it works!

For cysts & skin very sensitive to hormonal changes
Reviewed on December 26, 2016

I always had some acne around my period (sometimes cystic), but in January 2016 (at 25) my acne went crazy. I was breaking out in cycts every other day. Deep painful cysts that were leaving indented scars (which I knew were permanent).

A dermatologist prescribed 50 mg of spiro, upped it to 100 a month later, and 3 months later my skin MAYBE looked worse, maybe was exactly the same. Switched to a new dermatologist (if ur in NYC, her last name is mikhail) and she was an absolute angel.

She suggested taking 50 in the am, 50 in the pm, exactly 12 hours apart. She told me to throw out the tazorac and start veltin gel (which is so much more gentle). Incredibly, thank you God, my skin cleared up a few weeks later. It was unbelievable. Truly. I haven't broken out at all. My skin has scars (& im considering my option$$$ in that regard) but NO acne, NO cysts and almost no white heads.

She says spiro works best when you take 2 doses at the same time everyday. And tazorac was making me peel and burn for months so she did it was clear my skin just couldn't handle it.

I'm so happy. It's the end of December, 5 months after starting spiro. The spotting has also gotten so much better. I cried all the time, skipped work/class/dates, bc I felt so awful. Acne shouldn't rule your life but it did rule mine and if anyone reading this is a woman with cystic again who suspects her skin is very sensitive to hormonal changes then please try spironolactone. Good luck

by vnguy100 on 12/30/2016 01:50
Can my daughter use it ( she's 12 yrs old)
by vnguy100 on 12/30/2016 01:50
Can my daughter use it ( she's 12 yrs old)
Not for everyone
Reviewed on November 28, 2016

Background - I have PCOS, which is now under control thanks to diet and exercise (meaning, my testosterone which was in the high range years ago, is now in the normal range on all blood work, my TOM is regular and I ovulate every month). Still, some of the effects of PCOS, such as facial hair growth and cystic acne, had remained. The acne has gotten much much better, but would still pop up every now and then. I also have very oily skin. My dermo recommended spiro every time I saw him, and said there were basically no side effects. Even though my skin was decent, compared to how it used to be, I read the reviews and thought, why not try it and have absolutely perfect skin for the first time in my life?

He put me on 50 mg for the first 2 weeks, then upped it to 100 mg after that. For the first two weeks I broke out a little, tiny little whitehead type bumps, but nothing major. As soon as I upped it to 100 mg I suddenly had giant cystic eruptions everywhere on my face - my chin was the worst, it genuinely changed the shape of my face because the bumps were so large. I felt like Cyclops. I also broke out on my cheeks, where I had never broken out before in my life. And none of these pimples ever came to a head, so just giant painful bumps which took many weeks to go away.

I went back down to 50 mg, which didn't help, so I went down to 25 mg and the giant pimples stopped forming immediately (still took a while for the ones I already had to disappear). I read all the reviews about how you have to give it time and it gets worse before it gets better and I decided to try again, this time only going back up to 50 mg. Immediately I broke out in tiny little white bumps all along my temple into my cheeks. It almost looked like an allergic reaction, it was so so bad. Makeup did nothing to hide it either. I stopped spiro altogether, and it went away almost immediately.

It has now been 3 weeks since I've taken spiro and I haven't had a breakout since. I have some scarring which I'm working on, but for me, this drug was the opposite of a wonder drug. It may be that if I had kept taking it, I would have eventually had the clear, soft skin of a newborn, but it wasn't worth going through months looking like Cyclops to get there. The only positive I can say about this drug is that my skin was not oily when I was on it. It didn't get super dry, just stopped it from being oily, and the pores on my nose did look smaller. But for me, it wasn't worth it. My hormones are not out of balance, based on my last few blood tests, so maybe this works better if you're in a stage where your hormones are out of wack?

One final note - when I went off spiro, I immediately started spotting. So it can mess with your cycle a bit.

Don't want to imagine my life without it
Reviewed on November 26, 2016

Spiro changed my life. It has changed my skin and confidence in ways I never thought possible. I can actually go somewhere without foundation now if I need to. I do still prefer wearing foundation when I can because of some scarring and uneven coloration, but knowing that I don't absolutely HAVE to is so liberating. I used to not even enter a grocery store without makeup on. A GROCERY STORE. That's how dibilitating it was. I would put makeup on immediately after a shower or right before bed so that my own boyfriend wouldn't see my skin. :/ My skin controlled my life, but now I am free. My skin is not perfect, but it is a million times better...and there are days when it looks downright amazing. I still have mild scarring, some redness (that I've always had), and blackheads, but it is overall so much CLEARER! I will occasionally get isolated pimples here and there, but NO MORE BREAKOUTS!!! And no more deep, painful, monstrous cysts!!! For a year and a half now I've had wonderfully low-maintance skin. One spiro a day and a good moisturizer (Clinique Redness Relief for me) after showering and I'm set. When I shower I use Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser, but to be honest, I don't even wash my face aside from when I'm showering anymore. I can get away with falling asleep in my makeup and my skin is still clear!! I don't do this intentionally, and maybe if I didn't at all my blackheads would be even less noticeable (lol), but I'm just saying the fact that I CAN is incredible. My skin is clearer, my routine is little to no maintainance, and my confidence is through the roof. It's amazing going to sit down at a restaurant and not even think about my face. I am so happy and so fearful of the day I have to stop this medication.

**note: Spiro DID make my skin absolutely god awful at first. I thought it was bad before, but after starting this drug it was horrendous. I read these reviews beforehand though so I knew that this was a possibility and I think being prepared helped me push through it. It took a good 3-4 months before I started to feel clear and confident. I know that sounds like an eternity to wait but believe me, the end product makes that crappy waiting period look like a microscopic smudge in the grand scheme of it all. You can do it!! It is so worth it!!!!

by Julia2626 on 01/18/2017 12:47
First of all, I apologize for my English which is not very good because I am French. I am 23 years old, I have been taking the Jasmine pill for 5 years and I have never had acne in my teens. My dermatologist has prescribed spironolactone because Doxiciline didn’t work My dermatologist made me do a biopsy (thinking that it could be a mushroom of the repeated use of cortisone cream) which demonstrated the absence of fungi. I also did a hormonal blood test showing no abnormality either ... My acne covered my face, forehead and cheeks with a grainy set, buttons bigger than others not piercing and an oily layer. This doctor prescribed Spironolactone in addition to Jasmine pill to control androgens. After 5 weeks at 100mg and two weeks at 150mg no results. My skin is always covered with this grainy layer with pimples at the bottom of the cheeks and in the middle of the forehead. Always this rough coat and those bigger buttons on the forehead and lower cheeks. And still as many tears every day for two months now ... Do you think this is normal that after 6 weeks under Spironolactone there are no results?