Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1085 reviews
Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Question: One week in...
Reviewed on March 24, 2015

When should I expect the initial breakout? (anyone not get this?)

I'm on 100mg spiro and adapalene, day 7. My face already has greatly improved - I assume from the topical. Like 80% clearer on the jaw and cheeks. But I wait... and dread... this initial breakout everyone talks about. Is it too bad to leave the house? I'd love to hear from some 'survivors'! thanks for sharing everyone.

Push for the higher doses,..if possible.
Reviewed on March 18, 2015

I have been taking 200 mgs daily of Spironolactone since December 2014. In the initial start of the treatment, which for me was at 100 mgs daily, I noticed a big improvement in the oiliness of my face and quantity of breakouts. That paired with Epiduo first then just the Adapalene quotient later, I am literally clear of all acne and blackheads & whiteheads. In figuring out exactly what the magic number was for me regarding how much Spiro to take, the 1st month-100mgs daily, the 2nd month-150 mgs daily, 3rd month-200 mgs daily.

Because I have issues with PCOS and Endometriosis my dermatologist, who normally winces and the higher doses, has been gracious enough to allow me to take this much but not without the required testing-monthly, dietary restrictions to reduce potassium levels and increased water intake. I do not mind at all if I have to change what I eat, drink more water and give blood all the time, I will happily, to maintain my acne free skin. A month between doses was merely to appease my derm because I saw results within a two week time span, like another reviewer stated. I use CeraVe AM & PM moisturizing formulas and rotate the foaming and moisturizing wash daily with nighttime Adapalene application. I feel like maybe 50 mgs more just might take me over the top but... Its hard to find a derm who will agree to that much...maybe I'll ask my gyno since he does know my history.

Either way, I am extremely happy with this med and encourage others to try the higher doses if what they are currently taking is not working, if at all possible, but do be aware that it will require a lifestyle change. This is not something you apply to your face with abandon, its a very potent medication with its own very dangerous side effects. Also, do your own research with regards to the absolute maximum amount to be taken for HORMONAL acne, I think its near the 400mg mark, its also used for Hirsutism, edema, etc, etc and since MOST derms will not give you more than 100 mgs daily, do search for one that will AT LEAST LET YOU TRY THE HIGHER DOSES before saying no.

I could not believe the trouble I had in finding someone who would at least give my body the chance to see if it worked for me, before flat out denying it. While it is a serious med, it is not Accutane, it is not a long term antibiotic or anything else that might be worse for my body and while I understand the benefits, I also understand the dangers, and was willing to undertake the changes I had to make in order to continue taking it at this dosage. Not many are willing or are capable, which is why I think there is some resistance and why it caps off at 100 mgs for most people.

I did my own research on the drug and feel it is relatively safe compared to some other more harmful drugs that are being prescribed. That is my own opinion. Yes, I was prescribed the Solodyn, I was given the Aczone, I did get a lot of very harmful products to take for my HORMONAL acne but refused them all because of the research I found on them. I refused to take a lot of things and have not found a solution until now. In fact, it is the only thing I take for my acne now, aside from the Adapalene and my face, my skin, is beautiful. More so now than in my 20s.

Bio: female, 38, 133lbs-down from 145 @ start of Spiro, Cystic acne since age 12, PCOS/Endometriosis diagnosed in 2013. My acne has been completely hormonal and due to my condition. No other issues exist.

Stay patient and hopeful
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

I never feel the need to write reviews but after dealing with acne I feel I must. I am 20 yrs old and never really had acne until I was about 18. This past year it got worse. My jawline and cheeks were constantly broken out. After seeing three dermatologists over the years NOTHING worked until my latest one. Blood work showed my testosterone levels were high (even though I am a girl) and that was most likely the cause of my acne. She prescribed me solodyn 12 weeks ago and I began the spironolactone 3 weeks later. My face was still breaking out up until about last week. I do have to say the breakouts have not been as bad but I was losing hope of ever getting clear skin. The two prescriptions I believe are working really well together. I am very impatient and it was hard for me to accept that "it gets worse before it gets better." Trust me, it sucks. But honestly stick with it! Waiting three months is nothing compared to never having a clear face. I am finally seeing results after 12 weeks and am glad I did not give up. On 55 mg of solodyn once a day and 50 mg of spironolactone twice a day (total= 100 mg of spiro total) and am a 124 lb girl. No horrible side effects. Coming from the most impatient person ever, stay patient!

by peacelover on 03/17/2015 13:35
Should also mention that I cleanse with Cerave and moisturize with the same brand. Simple but I love it because it is not too harsh on my skin and feels refreshing.
by mwatts82 on 05/11/2015 01:23
Been on this medicine since February 100mg a day and I feel like it's not helping. My dermy said there isn't an initial breakout period because the job of the medicine is to block the hormone that produces these zits. I wanna cry!! Help
I need help finding a moisturizer!
Reviewed on March 13, 2015

I have been on 100 mg of spiro for maybe 3 months now in addition to Tazorac. The initial breakout for me was awful and lasted maybe 2 months or so. By the 3rd month my skin started clearing up more but then my dermatologist stupidly forgot to refill my prescription (despite me contacting him dozens of times to renew it). Anyway, I was off spiro for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got extremely bad, even worse than before I started spiro. I am back on now and I think I am going through an initial breakout again but I am hoping my skin clears up faster than the first time I started this med. The fact that I was only off this med for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got so bad worries me because I am afraid I will develop a dependency on this medication, which will be a problem in the future when I decide to have children.

My biggest problem with this medication is that my skin is so dry! I don't know how I can get my skin to not be so dry. I have been using CeraVe Hyrdrating cleanser, Garnier Cleansing Oil for very dry skin, and CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizer and somehow my skin is STILL incredibly dry. During the day I also wear a BB Cream on top of the CeraVe PM but my skin is still dry within an hour. I have no idea how to help this so if anyone has any recommendations for cleansers, moisturizers, BB Creams, or Foundations I would be so grateful!!!

by HayleeG on 03/14/2015 09:33
I am on the exact prescription's you are but with Duac in the mornings. I started using the PM and AM CeraVe but also added the CeraVe moisturizing cream sold in the tub for Normal to Dry skin. I slather that on in the AM and PM. It really works great because I have very dry skin now compared to how it used to be oily all the time. I also just started using Covergirl & Olay Tone Rehab Foundation/Base. Works great for covering old acne spots. Hope that helps.
by sbeanie82 on 05/19/2015 18:17
I recommend trying Niacinamide Vitamin B3 5% serum. I started using it because my skin was really dry from Spiro and also using benzoyl peroxide every day. I put on a little bit every night after showering. It made a huge difference! Really moisturized my skin so I didn't have to use as much moisturizer during the day and also made my skin smoother. Didn't make me break out at all. There are many different brands, I used SkinDaily but since they are out of stock right now, I'm ordering another brand...I think they are probably all the same thing
Miracle
Reviewed on March 12, 2015

I am 31 and have been trying and failing acne treatment since age 12. I have been on everything... accutane, antibiotics, birth control as method for acne control, every single topical agent out there (Ziana working the best, Epiduo coming in second), and all with very little success. Finally I had a doctor prescribe me Spironolactone. I saw improvement in the first 30 days at 100mg, more than other oral prescriptions, but not a complete cure. After giving the drug some time to work, the doc raised my prescription to 150mg. In 2 weeks I was practically clear- having one zit that popped up while PMSing. It's been amazing. Now it's been a month since the increased dosage and my skin looks really good. I have some scars/small bumps that hung around but they are fading very quickly. I am using Epiduo topically a few days a week as that reduces dark spots wonderfully. When I use it more than 3 days a week my skin gets too dry.

Spiro was my miracle drug- hope it works a second time!
Reviewed on March 4, 2015

I began taking spironolactone about 3 years ago after a course of Accutane that produced only temporary results. I took 50 and then 100 mgs a day and it did wonders! Over the course of about 6 months, I had gone from 4-6 cystic pimples to completely clear skin. My dark marks had faded and I was able to live life like a normal human being for the first time in my life. I ran errands, went to the gym, and hung out with my boyfriend all without a stitch of makeup-- something I never believed would be possible for me after suffering from moderate-severe acne for 10 years.

I decided in May of last year to go off the medication. I incorrectly thought that maybe my hormones had leveled out by 26 years old and that didn't have to take the spiro anymore. Life was great for 6 months after going off spiro but then I began to break out again. I wouldn't say worse than before, but about the same as before spiro. I began taking the med again last December and after almost 3 months my skin has definitely improved but I still have at least 2 cysts and a gaggle of little pimples at any given time. Of course there are a ton of new scars that will take forever to heal. I'm hoping that spironolactone will again work for me and I can feel human again. It's really depressing to feel like you always have to hide.

Summary:

In terms of it's effectiveness, I give spironolactone a RESOUNDING 5 stars. This stuff really really worked for me! For those of us with hormonal acne who do not want to use (or re-use) Accutane, it might be the only option- and thank god it's a good one. The only reason why I subtracted a star is because it's not a long term solution. One day I hope to become pregnant and I will have to stop using the drug. I wonder if it's worth it to use a drug as a band-aid, or if I should be investing my time in longer-term solutions that I can utilize indefinitely? Maybe it's worth it to do a second course of Accutane if it means curing my acne for good. For now, I will stick with the spiro and hope that my hormones level out on their own.

by moondrop on 03/12/2015 06:53
Accutane didn't work for me at all! I am glad you have had luck with spiro. I don't know your dosage, and I am not a doctor, but maybe once you level out you can reduce your dosage? You would have to go off the medication while pregnant, but could start again later. Your hormones will be crazy when you're pregnant anyway, so you might react differently if you were to stay on the pill during pregnancy (which is a huge no because it's bad for the baby- just a what if situation there). I hope you don't need it in the long run!
Hormonal acne?
Reviewed on March 2, 2015

Growing up I did not have major break outs. I did suffer from awful periods which then lead me to be on birth control from 14-21 with absolutely no issues. I used othro tri lo and it was great for me. Never had breakouts, normal periods and even helped maintain my weight. I got married at 22 and right away we wanted to TTC. After a year of struggling TTC both me and my husband were tested and it was determined my husband could not have children. I have not been on birth control since, im now 29 and have again struggled with the awful periods and now get these deep down cystic acne. By no means it Is awful but I always have atleast one on my chin and cheek. I always struggle with super oily skin and scalp. I wash my hair at night and by morning im already having to use a dry shampoo. Within the past year are so my face has gotten so hairy. I literally have to use a little razor and shave my face every couple of days and have these these course black hairs that im plucking out seriously every morning. I would prefer not to go back on birthcontrol just due to the fact that my husband cant have kids and I don't want to prevent a some miracle happening (weird I know, as well as I know you should not be on spiro when pregnant). A couple of years ago I was put on minocycline and that did not work for me, took it a couple of months but stopped due to almost feeling like I was drunk, could not concentrate and had bad anxiety. Have also tried aczone but did not find that it really did anything for the cystic acne just the occasional pimple. I have been tested for thyroid issues and those have came back normal. I am going to the derm in 2 weeks and think I want to bring up spiro. I definitely feel like my issues are hormonal. Anyone with similar issues have success? I do worry about potential weight gain as I struggle with my weight as it is, 175lbs and 5'5.

by moondrop on 03/12/2015 06:56
I've had great success with spiro, and no weight gain. I'm not a doctor but spiro might be good for you. That being said if your hormones are off that much you might consider seeing an endocrinologist. Talk to your doctor more indepthly about your experience and see what s/he thinks. They can at least run a blood test to see what your hormone levels are at, and that might point you in the right direction.
by moondrop on 03/12/2015 06:56
PATIENCE and this med does wonders
Reviewed on January 24, 2015

Background: 25 y/o female, have had hormonal acne issues since 22. Have had terrible self-esteem issues, also because I had NEVER had a pimple before 22! Literally. So having this acne has really put a damper on my confidence. I wait until my boyfriend goes to bed to take off my make up, and wake up before he does in the morning to put on make up (INSANE), and I have cancelled plans because of my skin, spent hours in front of the mirror, cried, etc. I haven't been able to leave the house without make up for three years. So I went to the dermatologist. Dermatologist prescribed minocycline which kept things manageable (not clear) for about a year. Then the minocycline appeared to stop working. Also have tried many topicals which never worked. Acanya is the only one I still sometimes use as a spot treatment. Went back to there dermatologist and it happened to be a new doctor who took one look at where my acne was on my face and prescribed spironolactone, telling me it was basically a miracle drug for people with my kind of acne.

So- I don't know how I feel yet because it hasn't been too much time, but will update this post... I have been on spironolactone for exactly 7 weeks. I was on 50mg but about 2 and a half weeks ago I was bumped up to 100mg. I currently take 100mg every morning. I hadn't seen any improvement at all...mainly just more clogged pores than I have ever had and still had new pimples all the time, especially when old ones cleared up... So I would get my hopes up and be let down again. Side effects have been minimal, mainly just drinking a lot more water & peeing a lot. Anyway, exactly 2 weeks after the dermatologist upped my dose I had a horrible break out. I read reviews and figured I was doomed for these breakouts for months, because thats how it seems to be for those that it doesn't work for quickly. I cried over the initial breakout and thought it would never end...meanwhile only a couple days later it SEEMS to be clearing up, but of course this may jinx it. I'm hoping this was it for the initial breakout and things will be good from here. Fingers crossed!!! I have HIGH hopes for this med. It just feels like it will work for me because I KNOW I have hormonal acne.

8 weeks- face is clear!!! only one small bump. fingers crossed that this won't jinx it but I had to update for anyone out there wondering if the initial break out ever ends...my hair is getting healthy too, and my hair felt so gross for about 7 weeks being on this med at first. I'm glad that didn't stick around because it would have possibly been a deal breaker for this med. So I'm very happy with the results right now...will update with any changes... now time to clear these old scars up.

UPDATE

Exactly three months in...

I STILL get acne. I would still say my skin is better than it was but I was expecting more from this med. Maybe it was retin-a I was trying to use to clear up my scars. So I stopped that and seeing If my skin clears. These acne marks are also driving me crazy. they take a long time to fade...

by bm93 on 02/04/2015 02:24
What are you using to clear up post acne marks? Because spironolactone has cleared up my acne n cysts but im struggling with dark marks n red marks which makes it look like i still have acne when i actually dont..
by Leltb on 03/01/2015 16:41
I've been using rose hip oil which helps slowly. Seeing my Derm soon and may ask about other methods but most seem too harsh for my skin and I break out. Such as retin-a and vitamin c oil.
by moondrop on 03/12/2015 07:00
I'm on 150mg and that made a HUGE difference between 100mg and 150. I would like to go back down eventually- not having any side effects, that's just a lot to be taking daily. I have been using Epiduo for clearing acne marks and it's working really well. I also use honey once in a while. Get the good local stuff- some of the big brands are shipped in from China has tons of chemicals, you don't want that on your face. Ziana clears up ance really well for me, but Epiduo does a great job with scars. The honey was just something I read online, but it does seem to brighten my skin so I'm still using it.
Doesn't do anything
Reviewed on February 28, 2015

I used to take TriNessa (norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol tablets) for a very long time, until I realized it was giving me cystic acne during certain weeks of the month, there'd also been a week, when I felt absolutely miserable, so sad for no reason, I'd just start crying and wouldn't be able to stop. I never drew a connection betw. those symptoms and TriNessa. I went to a different obgyn, she told me, it must be because TriNessa has different level of hormones for each week of the month - so I'd experience all those crazy fluctuations all the time. She prescribed me Microgestin 1/20 tabs 21 green, which has 3 weeks worth of, so to say, the same level of hormones. The cystic acne hasn't really bothered me since, mood swings've been better, but I didn't stop breaking out every month, which is driving me crazy. I went to a dermatologist. She prescribed me Aczone 5% gel 90gm as topical and Spironolactone 100mg a day. She told me to try Spironolactone for a couple of months to see, if it works and if it doesn't, she said there were other pills she could give me. I've been taking Spironolactone 100mg for 2 months already. It doesn't seem to do anything at all!! It's very frustrating! I'm thinking, I need to go back to the dr. and try different meds. Btw, I don't feel any side effects from Spironolactone whatsoever. But it doesn't seem to do any good either. Maybe I should double my dose, I've read that u can take up to 200mg or maybe I should switch b. control again. I don't know what to do.. And the truth is, all the doctors I've ever seen don't know either!! They just offer me meds to try from their list and see how I feel. That's exactly what they say! Aczone 5% gel was $60 with my insurance and I can't say it worked wonders for me. I also tried Epiduo (adapalene and benzoyl peroxide) gel 0.1%/ 2.5% - another prescription topical. It's pretty good at drying up zits, but not the answer.

I also went to an endocrinologist and had my hormone level checked, it's totally normal! I'm 27 now

by Klrlove on 03/11/2015 20:41
Because of hormonal imbalances such as low progesterone( which is my problem) sometimes the skin follicle itself will produce extra testosterone. Research shows this to be true. Therefore you maybe need to have a little bit of patience with this drug as 100mg usually works well for people but it takes months to see the results :) hang in there. Fyi they never check progesterone only testosterone and estrogen. Also as with my experiences I was on Dianne 35. Horrible drug for my mood swings I went crazy but it did cure my oilynees , that is untill I ate diary. And my skin would go all red and irritated and oily the next day. I quit the pill and I kept staying away from diary and only after cutting all diary I mean butter EVEYTHING:( did my acne finally respond to topical treatements. Hope this helps :)
by moondrop on 03/12/2015 07:03
150mg is the magic dose for me. Ask for Epiduo for scars, Ziana for acne as topical treatment. They will probably be $60, but it will last a while and is worth it. The Ziana also has prescription level retinol, which is the only ingredient out there that actually helps with anti-aging. It's a bonus.
I Love Spiro!
Reviewed on February 27, 2015

Hello Everyone,

I started Spiro three months ago, prescribed by my dermatologist for androgentic alopecia. I'm 59 years of age and had been losing my hair for four years with an accelerations when I had my last period at age 56. All of my bald spots have filled in or are beginning to fill in, with very grey hair and I don't care. I began dying my hair when I was 28 when grey first appeared. I am so thankful to have signs of hair growing and the fact that it's grey is insignificant.

However, what I am nost surprised to see is that once again, I my face is once again showing its dewy side. The last time I glowed naturally this way, I was still having my menstraul cycles. My complexion is awesome and a very pleasant side affect of taking spiro.

by HayleeG on 02/27/2015 11:29
I'm so happy its helping you. I was wondering what your dosage is for preventing hair loss.