Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1135 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Helping with Hormonal Acne
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I recently went to my dermatologist and got a prescription for spiro for 50mg twice a day based off a video called basic bitches guide to adult acne that I watched on youtube. Two months in and I have little to no side effects and my hormonal acne is clearing up nicely. I highly recommend searching the basic bitches guide videos (especially the morning time routine) if you are looking for products to battle the peeling or help with the process!

Life changer
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I've battled with oiliness and mild acne since I was eleven years old. In my 20s and now 30s this turned into oiliness and having one to two large deep cystic pimples nearly every month. It would always start as a sensitive spot on my chin that would turn into a painful deep inflamed area. I've gotten more cortisone shots in the last 5 years than I could have ever imagined. Every trip, big event, work meeting was preceded with worrying about whether a cyst would appear and ruin the event. I can honestly say that spironolactone has completely changed my life. Since starting on 50 mg nightly I have not had a single cyst. It's been a miracle drug to me. No longer do I have to bring toiletries to work and wash my face half way through the day to control oil. I can go the whole day and look normal. Having a drier mouth and needing to go to the bathroom a little more is a small price to pay. I'd recommend to anyone suffering from hormonal acne! Good luck

yas 👍🏻
Reviewed on May 11, 2016

I love spiro. I have had moderate hormonal acne since middle school. I took spiro for about 2 years, stopped for a year and just recently started taking it again. I take 100 mgs a day. I think it's great for helping cystic hormonal acne. And when I do get them every once in a blue moon they go away much faster than usual. The only side effect I got from spiro were head aches at the beginning, but those went away after a few weeks. It also helped so much with oiliness which is a life saver. I would recommend spiro to anyone suffering from hormonal acne.

Good results, good experience
Reviewed on May 2, 2016

Having just completed my fourth month on Spironolactone I could not be more thrilled with the outcome. My acne has only been a recent struggle which started with a sudden onslaught of pimples in my early twenties after having a pretty good run with my skin throughout my teenage years. I had hormonal acne so it being an internal imbalance, no amount of fancy serums or radical diet changes were going to help clear it up. I was prescribed Sprio at my local GP’s office and placed on a dosage of 100mg per day, I’ve maintained this dosage since. The main side effect in which I personally experienced was the frequent urination and dehydration as a consequence. These have since subsided though and now I currently have no issues with the drug nor my potassium levels (having got them routinely checked). In terms of how long the medication took to have an effect on my skin, it sure as hell wasn’t a quick fix solution, nonetheless after three months of patiently waiting my skin cleared up miraculously and I haven’t had a single pimple since, hurrah! I did experience the dreaded initial breakout but it only lasted a couple of months and was well worth enduring in order to achieve the long term results which thankfully have today. So at this stage I will happily continue to remain on the drug alongside till partaking in the occasional blood test at the GP’s office tom monitor potassium levels. For just $25 for a three month prescription of Spiro here in Australia, this medication was an extremely cost effective solution to treating acne as well. I would highly recommend Spiro for any females experiencing hormonal acne only but encourage you all to take into account that it isn’t a cure as such but a masking solution to the problem, it will only work as long as you remain on the medication, so with that in mind if you’re skin isn’t that bad to start with, maybe don’t commit to such a drastic measure. If you do decide to start taking Spiro be sure to listen to your body and pay attention to any changes if you’re concerned as at the end of the day, clear skin is great sure but it’s not worth compromising your internal health when nothing was essentially wrong with you in the first place. Hope this helps anyone who’s unsure about giving Spiro a go and are also struggling with hormonal acne.

Great
Reviewed on May 1, 2016

This stuff works so well. I'm on 100 mg a day and combined with the pill, I've seen major improvement. My skin still breaks out, but it's 80% better than it was! I will agree with other posters that you will feel the need to go to the bathroom ALL the time. To me, it's worth it to have better skin. Drink lots of water!!

Still in the Early Stage of Treatment, But....
Reviewed on April 9, 2016

Let me preface by noting that I have had cystic acne all of my adult life. I am middle aged and have tried everything from Accutane (ugh) to topical prescriptions. Because I am also hypersensitive to most oral and topical medications, typically I have unusual and/or severe reactions. With that being said, I feel like I am the poster child for what symptoms an individual could possibly experience on the "negative side effects" end of the spectrum.

It should also be noted that about two months prior to beginning treatment with Spironolactone, I began using a topical solution of vitamin B3 (niacinamide 5%) by Gia Naturals in place of my very expensive Dr. Dennis Gross moisturizer. The results were noticeably positive but not spectacular. Additionally, I use Bare Minerals liquid foundation, GloMinerals compressed powder, and Lancôme blush to avoid makeup based flare ups. Regardless, I was still having trouble with slow healing and (mostly) hormone related cysts.

At my wit's end, I went back to my dermatologist. He prescribed an initial dose of 50mg of Spironolactone to start my treatment. I took the first pill around 7pm and within hours developed a severe dehydration-type headache that lasted all night and part of the next day. I called my dermatologist and after explaining my symptoms, he instructed me to cut the 50mg pill in half and try the lower dose before deciding to give up on the Spironolactone. I did and, thankfully, had no more headaches. I continued to take the reduced 25mg dosage for a couple of weeks (along with the above-mentioned products) and was seeing signs of improvement! About five days ago, with my menstrual cycle looming, I got brave and began taking the entire 50mg Spironolactone pill. I am happy to report that the headaches did not reappear and I made it through the worst of my period with no new cysts. The only side effect I have experienced over the past five days on the increased dosage is a notable tiredness. Bear in mind though, I am a 7th grade English teacher and my tiredness could be symptomatic of dealing with 85 twelve to thirteen year olds with spring fever while I am on my period!!

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic about Spironolactone. My side effects have been manageable, the results thus far have been notable, and most importantly, the long term use of Spironolactone poses no significant physiological or psychological threat to users according to long term research findings. If you are considering Spironolactone, it is probably a safe bet to at least give it a try. As the poster child for side effects, however, I suggest starting with a low dosage and working up to higher dosages as your body becomes accustomed to the drug.

WISHING YOU THE BEST!

Sharron Z-W

Post Script: I failed to mention that during this time I also began taking 500mg of vitamin B3 (niacinamide) orally every day along with my Spironolactone. My dermatologist said there are no contraindications and the vitamin is better absorbed when taken orally. (Please see research on vitamin B3 use for problem and/or aging skin)

by CharismaticPill on 04/16/2016 08:53
Be sure to drink plenty of water before & after taking spiro(like 3-4 glasses). Headaches usually occur even when you are slightly dehydrated :) good luck!
Symptoms were not worth it!
Reviewed on April 5, 2016

I had horrible deep cyst like bumps. Mostly around my chin area. my doctor put me on this medicine. I started out with 50mg a day. That was working a little bit, but I was still getting a few deep cysts and it wasn't getting rid of the old ones. After being on that for about 2-3 months. He increased it to 100mg a day. after being on the 100mg a day for about 2-3 weeks my face felt great and the cysts were finally going away. Then I started having horrible stomach pains. This was like 10 times worse then regular period cramps. I felt nauseous and like I would be sick. Then I started having bloody bowls. Obviously I did not want to take it anymore, so I stopped. After about a week of being off of it I am still having horrible stomach pains, hopefully they go away soon. I also gained 10lbs just form being on the drug for about 4 months, which I was not a fan of! The symptoms were just not worth the clear skin.

Miracle drug
Reviewed on April 1, 2016

I have never written a review before but I thought that since I spent endless nights on this site reading reviews to gain insight into treating my acne, I should really reciprocate the favour. I think one thing that all acne sufferers share in common (apart from our acne of course :p) is the abundant amount of research we do in order to become experts on the condition, and the different treatment options. Im sure everyone currently reading this review has desperately been trying to look for a solution, and has probably scrolled through hundreds of different reviews. I think it is extremely valuable to educate ourselves in this manner. However, what we all also realize is that not all acne is the same, and what works well for one person might not work well for someone else.

That being said, I want to share my personal story. If you see any resemblance in our history, then I really urge you to try this medication. If not, then I cannot attest to whether it will work for you like it did for me, but I still believe it is worth the try.

I am currently 22 years old. Since I was 13, I have suffered from mild to moderate acne. However I want to stress that it was VERY mild when I was in high school. I was prescribed Yaz in the11th grade by my dermatologist, and I really didn't even realize how well it worked for me until later on. I remember that I would still have the minor breakouts (which were a big deal to me at the time), but this consisted of about 5 small pimples MAX on my face. I was on Yaz for about 3 years. In the summer after my first year of university, I decided to stop taking the pill. The first couple of months which followed, everything pretty much remained the same. Still the occasional breakout, nothing drastic. However, about a year later I noticed that my skin was breaking out more than usual. I thought it was just due to a faulty skincare regimen (forgetting to wash my face at night etc.), so I decided to make another trip to the dermatologist, who prescribed me some topical creams (Benzaclyn, Differin). As with every topical cream I've ever used, I regularly applied it for about the first 3 weeks, until I reached a point where I became too lazy and then stopped applying it altogether (I have so many of them which are 3/4 full at my house). The creams just didn't seem to be doing much at all except drying out my face.

Let me stop here to give my opinion on the prescription of topical creams for the treatment of acne. I do believe that they are an important part of an acne regimen but they are NOT going to treat the acne. Most acne is due to internal factors, and though the creams are effective at fighting surface bacteria/reducing comedone formation, they SHOULD NOT be used as a first treatment option for more severe cases. In fact, I think they should be prescribed after the inflammatory acne has been cleared, to help with further prevention and maintenance of the CLEARED skin (at least that's how I am currently using them).

But anyways, fast forward a couple of more months and my acne is still progressively getting worse. My dermatologist then decided to go down another route and try antibiotics. I started doing my research at this point, and it became very apparent to me that my skin was getting worse after I stopped taking Yaz. I asked to be put on birth control, but my current dermatologist told me she didn't prescribe hormonal therapies (which I find absolutely hilarious seeing as most acne IS HORMONAL). However, the doxycycline seemed to also due to trick. My skin cleared up completely (even within the first two weeks), and I thought I had found my fix. I took doxy for about 6 months with great results and then I started to develop resistance. Slowly it stopped working, and it didn't take long before my acne came back, and this time waaaay worse than before. Around June of last year, I was getting tons of pimples, mostly on the sides of my face, my chin and jawline, and it was the worse its been my whole life. At this point I was starting to get desperate. I decided to change my dermatologist, and get another opinion. This dermatologist chose to go another route, the $$$$$$$$$$ route. She claimed that my acne could be completely treated through a series of blue light treatments and chemical peels. Her reviews looked promising, and I was getting desperate at this point, so I decided to give it a go. This was one of the worst decisions i have EVER made. The TCA peel not only irritated my inflamed acne, but completely burned my skin. I was left with huge scabs around my mouth and chin, which was probably due to improper application. DO NOT agree to these treatments with active acne, because I promise you, it will only irritate it further. Like topical creams, these work best on clear skin (minus the blue light which just does nothing in general). After the traumatic peel experience, I had lost all hope. My acne was progressively getting worse, my self esteem was awful. I hated going out, I refused to be seen without makeup on. I also tried to do some natural therapies (vitamin B5, zinc, honey mask etc), all with no hope.

Finally, i decided I would once again go search for a new dermatologist. She looked at my face and gave me two options: spironolactone and accutane. She told me that she was unsure whether my acne was completely hormonal, and was wary of whether spiro would even work for me, that I would probably have way better results with accutane, but the side effects were way more intense. I was really desperate at this point, so I was deffinetly considering Accutane, but something inside me told me to just try spiro as a last result, especially because I believe my acne was hormonally based. I didn't really notice much of an "initial breakout" with spiro, but then again my skin was so bad at this point that I may have not even noticed a difference if it was getting worse. About one month in, my skin started to clear drastically. Two months in, it was even more clear. I am not just finished my third month, and I don't have a single pimple on my face. I don't remember the last time my skin has looked this great, and I am so excited for the results to come as I heard it only gets better.

If you think your acne has a hormonal basis, please stop wasting your time like I did and ask your derm about this medication. It really has been a miracle, which is the only reason I am actually writing this review.

by touchyfeely17 on 05/26/2016 04:24
Thank you for sharing your experience. My journey is very similar to yours, and I'm currently at the anti-biotics phase (been on doxy for over a year now), and would now like to try spiro but need to find a better derm who will actually listen and address my acne (at my last check in in Jan. which was all of 5 min., she literally said "Seems like you're doing fine. Call if you need anything". When my Rx ran out this month, I called and they wouldn't refill unless I cam back in so she could see my progress. Frustrating.) You are dead right about the amount of time us acne sufferers research treatments online so thank you for sharing. Gives me hope.
Pros and Cons
Reviewed on April 1, 2016

I've been on spiro for two years. I started at 50 mg and was quickly moved up to 100 mg the dosage which I have stayed on. It has cleared up my skin and greatly decreased oil production. I suffered from extremely oily skin all my life, and now my skin is mostly dry, sometimes combination, but I have to moisturize constantly. I hate to say it, but I almost miss my oily skin, because it gets too dry now. I've also noticed weight gain, around 20-30 lbs! I am 30 years old 5'8 and when starting spiro I was 125-130lbs now I am well over 150 and have a lot of cellulite! I'm also extremely emotional and moody especially the week prior to my period. I'm on Trinessa as well, so maybe that has caused some of these side effects. Has anyone else experienced this with spiro? I love how my skin looks as long as I moisturize, but I hate all these negative side effects. I'm kind of torn at this point.......

Love it
Reviewed on March 29, 2016

This has been amazing to my skin!!! Hadn't been able to leave my house without makeup for years!! Now I can go to work with a bare face!! Love it! Completely recommend it. Have suffered with acne for over 10 years. It took lots of trial and errors to finally find something that worked. I have oily skin with very acne prone skin. Any little thing would break me out. Now I don't stress about it.

by lyssgirl on 03/31/2016 22:36
How long did it take for you to see results?