Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1154 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spironolactone

Definitely noticing significant results, positive results.
Reviewed on November 11, 2016

I knew I had a serious problem when I started staring at myself in the mirror trying not to cry. I hated what I saw, 27 year old with the face of a pubescent teenager. I never struggled with acne, so when the painfully large cysts started lining my jaw I was confused. These stay for months, always there, and then start migrating their way to my cheeks. I've had the occasional blemish on my forehead, nose, and chin.. but never my cheek; also those blemishes actually had an expiration date.

Like I said before, I knew I had problem when my own reflection was painful to see. I'm not a vain person, but I didn't like who I was becoming, obsessive. Everything revolved around it; what I ate, where I went, who I let see me, and how many hour wasted searching for cures.. and how much money spent on them.

Aright, so, on with my review.. I started with birth control, Zovia 1/35E. I lot of people haven't heard of it, but maybe they should. That time of the month- pshh.. it's a breeze now. No weight or mood changes. It helped with smaller blemishes, but not the results I was hoping for. Finally, I decided to seek out a professional. Not sure why I didn't run to find a dermatologist first.. maybe because I was ashamed of how much control it had on my self-confidence? I was prescribed Spironolactone 50mg to help with the cystic acne taking over the lower half of my face.. and also to help another problem caused by increased levels of androgens- dark thick hair on my chin that arrived with the acne, which I was too embarrassed to even bring up. My doctor brought up that subject. I was also prescribed a topical cream, Onexton. I was scared of the topical, after waking up after using it the first night, my cheeks were red and hurt like a they had been burned. I spread out my use of it and slowly made my way to being able to use it nightly (PEA size amout for the entire face!). Over three months have gone by and I'm amazed. No, my face is not 100% clear, but the months old cysts are finally disappearing, no new surprise cyst party lining up long my jaw and no more self loathing. I know I just shared a lengthy and unnecessary story, but it feels good being able to discuss it, and hopefully give hope to people suffering the emotional and physical pain accompanied with acne.

It really works! Cleared up my acne
Reviewed on November 3, 2016

This drug is finally what worked for me! I have had acne since I was 10 and in the past 4 years I was getting big, painful cystic pimples around my mouth and jaw that would never seem to go away. They were always worse right before my period, therefore hormonal, and didn't react to any treatments. I had tried EVERYTHING, including BCP, and spiro was my last hope before taking accutane (which freaked me out due to side effects - also, I was skeptical about accutane working for hormonal acne).

Anyways - the first 3 months I started taking 100mg a day of spiro and i became very dehydrated - my period started coming every two weeks. My skin did not seem better but I knew it would take time.

I then reduced my dose to 75mg and made sure to drink A LOT of water (because it does make you dehydrated). My period still seemed to be coming more often than usual (once every 2/3 weeks) but my acne final started to be getting better. My pimples would disappear a lot faster and didn't seem as deep and painful. As annoying as it was to be getting my period so often, I felt it was worth it to (hopefully) get rid of my acne.

Now, I continue to take 75mg/day and my period has regulated to once a month. My acne is 99% improved - I get 2 pimples before my period and am clear the rest of the month. My self confidence is so much better and my skin looks great!

I would definitely recommend - but it does take a bit of time - around 4 months I started seeing results.

Amazing product!
Reviewed on October 28, 2016

I started on Spiro at 50 mg a day 3 months ago. After 2 months we upped the dose to 100mg/day and added Yaz. After 6 years of relentless, scarring, hideous, cystic acne I have been totally cyst free for nearly 3 weeks. The increase in dose and addition of Yaz was the breakthrough I needed to finally cure my acne! I have had a total of 3 tiny pimples, gone in under 48 hours since upping the dose and I cannot be happier!

Weight gain on Spiro
Reviewed on October 21, 2016

I have been on spironolactone for 1 year 3 months. I have gained 22lbs in total while being on this medication. I know its the medication because nothing changed in my every day routine. I stopped spiro about a month ago and already I've notice I lost a few pounds. I was on the 100mg. I will say when I was on the 50mg I didn't notice the weight gain, so maybe it's the increased dosage, but either way its such a struggle. I don't want to be fat with clear skin, nor do I want to be skinny with cystic acne. I'm on Natazia birth control pills, and so far 2 months its not doing it alone, so I may have to try something in addition to that, just don't know what.

Feeling grateful (be patient)!
Reviewed on October 14, 2016

Background: I had struggled with mild acne throughout my teen years. However, when I turned 18, my acne became severely cystic. It was getting to the point where I was getting pitted scarring. I was also struggling immensely with my self-esteem. I was terrified of going outside, meeting people, working with others and so forth. I was depressed and had a negative outlook on my future. Anybody who believes your feelings are in vain have no idea what struggling with severe acne is like.

Treatment: I, like many with acne, became consumed by looking for a cure (diets, ointments, peroxides etc.). Hoping to stumble upon something that would give me some glimmer of hope. I was too scared to take Accutane, but also fed up with having acne. After struggling for so long and silently, I decided enough was enough. I came across these great reviews and thought what the heck!

Currently: I started on 50 mg of sprio and noticed improvement within a few weeks. After 6-months though, I can say my skin has healed so much. I could cry. I still do get SMALL red blemishes every now and then, but it's heaven compared to what I had before. I notice on 75 mg my skin gets clearer (but I've had some side effects on 75 mg like getting my period every 2 weeks, peeing like crazy which is why I stuck to 50 mg). I wasn't expecting perfection, just improvement and I'm much happier now.

Cleared up acne on my jaw line
Reviewed on October 11, 2016

I took this medication for 1 full year, after 4 months of taking it I noticed improvement with breakouts along my jawline but that is it.

It works, but takes a while
Reviewed on September 23, 2016

I have adult hormonal cystic acne on my jawline and I take 100mg of this daily. It took about 3 months, but it did end up clearing up the cysts. I will still get a cyst every once in a while, but not in big clumps like I used to. Just a warning, though, this does cause more frequent urination. I'm getting up 2-3 times a night to go.

by JWaltersRN on 10/28/2016 20:54
I take mine at bedtime, so by the time it "kicks in" I pee all day instead. Not ideal, but I can get a solid 8 hours in before my bladder wakes me up!
Spiro for past 3 years - different dosages - different manufacturer
Reviewed on August 13, 2016

Hi everyone,

I never thought I'd be writing on one of these but I understand the emotional and physical anxiety that comes with hormonal acne.

I am about to turn 20 but have been on Spiro since I was 17. I've never had cystic acne, but I've had relentless hormonal acne that has taken a tole on my confidence.

I started on 50 mg (17 years old) and it took 6 months to be clear. Yes, you initially break out and I broke out around my first prom (lots and lots of years). But it is worth it - I had amazing skin all my senior year.

Last December (19 years old) I was incredibly stressed out with a new college and all the stresses that come with that and started to have mini break outs on my chin. I upped my dosage to 100 mg which immediately cleared me up in a month. My skin had never been better.

This June, my pharmacy changed manufacturers without telling me (Amneal to some generic drug) and I broke out once again around my chin. I was devastated. I didn't know why or how this had happened so I upped my dosage once again to 150 mg. I have been on this new dosage for about a month and a week ago, I switched pharmacies so I'm back on the old manufacturer (Amneal).

I'm incredibly impatient and dramatic so I know my problem is no where near as severe as people with cystic acne. However, I have been completely clear and there is nothing quite like it.

The only issues I've noticed from the increased dosage is dry skin. I take 50 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night so I'm not tired during the day. The dry skin is a bitch but I'm trying to figure out a moisturizing routine and I'm sure it will fade in a couple months.

So far, I have discoloration and maybe 1 - 2 whiteheads. I will keep everyone updated.

To those who are starting out or struggling: I love you all and know that you are not alone. Love yourself with or without the acne, and I know that is so easy to say - but nothing is worth getting depressed over. Sending my love and good vibes to you all!

by KkLJ on 08/16/2016 18:42
Hey, very interesting to hear about your journey. I am in a similar situation. I've been taking Spironolactone for about 3 months now. I started out with 50 then went to 100 and now I'm on 150mg. I've heard it takes about three months to work, but unfortunately, for me, I haven't seen much of an improvement, and the improvement I have seen I think is due to the doxycyclin I'm taking, which I hate taking because it gives me horrible sunburns. You said it took 6 whole months to improve? I'm starting to wonder if this drug will even work at all since it's been 3 months. And also what's the pharmacy issue? I've never heard of issue with different manufacturers.
by tams2016 on 09/15/2016 04:51
I just starting using spiro three weeks ago. So far I haven't seen any changes, but after reading your review I feel very hopeful. Rome wasn't built in a day, my skin won't just magically clear up. Patience is not my virtue. Thanks for the reassurance :)
by mojo530 on 10/12/2016 08:32
UPDATE: NO MORE ACNE! Once I changed back to my old manufacturer (Amneal) my skin was clear. The only issue now is that I am SO DRY. I do think it is because I am on a higher dosage and I'm in a cold/dry climate. It's just infuriating that there's one issue after the other. Has anyone else experienced dry skin on Spiro and how long that takes to go away? Hoping my body gets used to it and I can stop freaking out about flaking and expensive moisturizers.
A LITERAL CURE WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS.
Reviewed on August 9, 2016

I've had mild/severe acne ever since I hit puberty. I've tried EVERYTHING other than accutane and really didn't want to go down that road. The pill Brenda helped clear me somewhat but I had to stop taking it because it was aggravating my depression. As soon as I stopped taking it my depression went away and my acne came back in full force.

I came across Spironolactone and really wanted to try it. Within a month of taking it my skin was already starting to clear. I've been taking it for over 4 months now and my skin has never looked so good. My skin is also visibly less oily. The best thing about this pill is that I haven't had ANY side effects... i'm taking 50mg. I do need to go to the toilet a little bit more than usual but for clear skin it's a small price to pay!

by Amrow2324 on 09/01/2016 02:02
Are you able to drink alcohol on spiro? I just started and am nervous about having anything
Extremely High DHEA-S, No PCOS
Reviewed on July 19, 2016

I take 50mg a day. Sometimes when I'm starting to break out a little, I take 100mg. (My Dermatologist has approved this)

Not to sound too dramatic, but spironolactone has changed my life. It has cleared 95% of my breakouts. Even though my acne has never been cystic, it is very severe. I would get tiny pustules all over my body which looked like folliculitis. Even my stomach had acne!!

Everyone thought I had PCOS until an ultrasound proved them wrong. For some reason my adrenal glands produce over twice the limit of DHEA-S and this is what causes my acne. If you're in the same boat as me, spironolactone is worth a shot.

I'm on Yaz as well, and I dread the day when I have to go off these meds.

by Julia2626 on 01/18/2017 12:47
First of all, I apologize for my English which is not very good because I am French. I am 23 years old, I have been taking the Jasmine pill for 5 years and I have never had acne in my teens. My dermatologist has prescribed spironolactone because Doxiciline didn’t work My dermatologist made me do a biopsy (thinking that it could be a mushroom of the repeated use of cortisone cream) which demonstrated the absence of fungi. I also did a hormonal blood test showing no abnormality either ... My acne covered my face, forehead and cheeks with a grainy set, buttons bigger than others not piercing and an oily layer. This doctor prescribed Spironolactone in addition to Jasmine pill to control androgens. After 5 weeks at 100mg and two weeks at 150mg no results. My skin is always covered with this grainy layer with pimples at the bottom of the cheeks and in the middle of the forehead. Always this rough coat and those bigger buttons on the forehead and lower cheeks. And still as many tears every day for two months now ... Do you think this is normal that after 6 weeks under Spironolactone there are no results?