Page 2 of Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1062 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Initial Breakout: Not Worth It
Reviewed on December 25, 2014

Started taking 50 mg about a week ago. At first, nothing happened. Then I missed one dose and BOOM: my skin went nuts. I'm not sure if it's because I missed one dose or if this was the initial breakout kicking in. I've been taking for four days since and my skin's still bad. If this is the initial breakout, I'm not sure it's worth it.

by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:35
I had a terrible initial breakout too - in part due to tretinoin - but it was totally worth it in the end (even though for 2 - 3 weeks I cringed at even leaving the house).
by claire1030 on 01/18/2015 18:49
I know how you feel. I didn't actually have an initial breakout, but I had a really terrible one about 5 weeks in. I didn't want to leave the house, it was horrible. Try to stick it out for a bit if you can!
Feeling hopeful!!!
Reviewed on December 23, 2014

I just started taking Spironolactone 100mg. Last night was my first pill. I'm praying to god this works for me because I feel like I am out of options! I'm 31 years old and have been struggling with large cystic acne for the past 6 years. I always have at least 1-6 papules on my jaw and chin at a time. Constantly!! then of course, when they calm down, they leave a big red scar! I never had problems as a teenager so it was a complete shock to me that this would happen in my 20s. Why me?? It has completely destroyed my self confidence and my social life. I hate going out in public. I feel disgusting. Even makeup looks horrible because you can still see those areas. I'm just so done! My question is, am I going to have to take this medicine for the rest of my life? I was hoping to start having children (just got married) in a couple years and I know you absolutely cannot take this while pregnant. When I stop, is it just gonna come right back?

by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:40
It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I just posted a review above which might be helpful for you... I too am concerned about having kids but I think I'll just deal with it then. For a lot of my friends, their skin reversed during pregnancy - either they did not have acne before but then had terrible pregnancy acne, or vice versa. Same happened for my mother- she had bad adult acne but great skin when pregnant w/ me (she said). Then it got worse again after I was born. Not a big change in her skin when pregnant w/ my brother though- maybe b/c different hormone levels for girl vs boy? But I say stick with it and worry about the future when you get there. You're only pregnant for 9 mos and then +/- breastfeeding, then you can start it back if you want. Not that long in the big picture :) Maybe you'll find some topicals that help during pregnancy. I feel comfortable still using a very thin layer of tretinoin during pregnancy every other day or 3 days based on my research; just a thought.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:46
....also, re: makeup still looking horrible - I can totally relate. What I found finally worked the best with my acne as far as covering it was to use bare minerals primer over acne meds and under the foundation; then put concealer on top of that. And I carried concealer for touch ups during the day (and used qtips / fresh brushes so it would always be clean, not re-using same brush for makeup w/o cleaning between). I never knew primer would make such a difference - I was so glad I tried it. But didn't feel like my skin would breathe as well so tried not to use it all the time. Don't let acne ruin your social life and confidence - go all out on it for a few months and power through the terrible initial breakouts/dryness... it'll be worth it once you find what works. As you can see in my review above sprio alone was not enough and I have a very specific routine of cleansers, moisturizers, etc that I use. I really had almost given up on getting rid of my adult acne but finally, after a few especially terrible months, reached the other side. Good luck!!
Have Yet to Try
Reviewed on December 19, 2014

Like a reviewer below, I was on the Implanon for the full 3 years until August 2014. After having the implant removed, within a week, I had a breakout that consisted on 5 inflamed cystic-like pimples on the left side of my face starting from my jaw line and moving upward towards my cheekbone. Before the implant removal, I had some mild acne, nothing near what it is today. I wake up with new inflamed pustules and cysts almost daily. I currently use Doxy 100mg daily since October and Epiduo topical nightly with minimal, and I mean MINIMAL (if any) improvement. My derm also prescribed me Spiro, which I literally just filled today, I am over this and over all the medication. My skin is definitely marked with hyper-pigmentation and some scarring. It sucks. My gyno said she has never seen or heard of this kind of change after the implant removal, but I have my doubts since nothing else could have wrecked havoc on my skin to this extent. I am going to try spiro and risk the side effects because I feel awful so anything that MAY help me is worth it at this point. I am concerned about period irregularities and refuse to take any oral contraceptive and go through this again in the future. I am 25 years old btw and have not experienced anything like this until now.

by bm93 on 12/20/2014 18:48
I feel like my acne was caused by removing the implanon and it sucks how it just had me breaking out since the removal of the implanon..I been on spiro now for almost 2months and I just hope this cures us stay patient
I'm unsure
Reviewed on December 15, 2014

I started this in Aug 2014 and my acne got better but in Nov I started forgetting to take it 5 days in one week and I went back on and forgotten for another 5 days the next weekend. Now it's full blonde crazy around my cheeks and chin and not sure what to do.

by Stanz on 12/15/2014 14:18
Sorry I meant 'full blown' acne all over.
by bm93 on 12/16/2014 04:38
Start taking it again but this time make sure you take it every day without missing a day..and speak to your dr to see what else he can prescribe you while the spironolactone starts to take affect.
7 months and I still have acne :(
Reviewed on December 14, 2014

I started spironolactone 7 months ago and I still have acne. I started taking it in May 2014 50mg a day. I have NOT seen any improvement, my acne just stayed the same. Big red and inflamed, all over my neck and chin really bad (that is normal for me). Last month my doctor upped my dosage to 100mg a day still no improvement. He said I need to come back and see him in February. I can't believe that is medicine isn't working for me. All the other reviews I've read are so positive and people are so happy. Should I keep taking it for another two months and just keep my fingers crossed or should I just give up and face the fact that this medicine just isn't for me? I'm so disappointed I had the highest hopes for this to work for me. I am a 32 year old woman with acne and I feel like I just wasted 7 months on this medicine. I am really sad but I'm am glad that others are seeing the results I wished I could of had.

by bm93 on 12/14/2014 06:54
There is a review down here where a someone started seeing results at 8months so I say hang in there give it another 2months andif nnot talk to ur dr ,stay patient!
by acnebegone82 on 12/14/2014 21:33
Thanks, I will hang in there for another 2 months. Fingers crossed!
by 1976SJG on 01/01/2015 14:58
Do you take it at night? Also do you take with a full bottle of water? I also limit my caffeine and sugar since I have noticed that I breakout more when consuming high amounts.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:47
You might also consider supplementing it with other stuff. Spiro alone was not enough for me but in combination with other stuff is a necessary component.
by LW175 on 01/03/2015 21:48
(by other stuff I mean like for me I used minacycline for a bit and when I can feel a cyst occasionally thinking about popping up; also i use tretinoin (in pm) and benzyol peroxide (in am). Also keep my hair in satin hair wrap at night to keep oil from getting on my pillow.
by carolz on 01/05/2015 22:00
If you are using generic spiro get it from Amneal ask your pharmacist. I had the same thing happen it didn't work and then I found out that certain generic brands are better for acne because spiro is a heart medication and its use for acne is what they call off brand meaning it is more consistent for heart issues than acne. Also do a search for best generic company for spiro for acne and other manufacturers will be listed. My doctor did not know about this until I told him so you have to do your own research. Good Luck
by WJA1991 on 01/08/2015 04:32
maybe you have a food allergy which might triggering your acne? I find that alcohol gives me horrific cysts. Try altering your lifestyle and see if that makes a difference. I also tried DIM supplements which helped my hormonal acne. good luck!
The BEST decision I have EVER MADE!!!
Reviewed on December 13, 2014

Spironolactone: this medicine is the best decision I have EVER made. And I promise, I am not someone that had 2 zits on my face and was upset... I was someone that had large inflamed, painful, hormonal acne constantly all over especially my lower and middle cheeks (12+ zits constantly.) It was awful and I of course have bad red mark scarring everywhere, BUT this medicine has made me ACNE FREE! I started this medicine in mid August 2014 and now it is mid December 2014 and my face is wonderful (besides of course for the scars)

I had always suffered from acne in high school, but once I became a freshman in college my acne was out of control. The zits became larger and were spreading like wildfire. This of course continued and got worse though my second year of college. I am now a junior and this fall semester I started this medicine and I am a new and more confident person that doesn't stare at the mirror in despair crying and wishing it would all disappear. If you are a female, please please consider taking this medicine. I had taken blood tests to test my hormone levels, and the results were pretty much normal, but that did not mean my acne was not hormonal because mine sure as hell was and was awful. So please! Try this!!! I am on 50mg twice a day. I have had no side effects, besides wonderful and clear skin.

P.S. If I could attach pictures of my previous horrendous acne I so would, but sadly that is not an option!

Also, if you would like to read a really great clinical study all about this medicine here it is! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315877/

by momobabyx3 on 12/19/2014 04:02
What did you use in combination? Like face wash?
life changer
Reviewed on December 12, 2014

im not kidding to whoever is reading this... please just take it. It has changed my life completely. Im 19 years old female in college. Heres my story: ever since 6th grade I've had a pimple here and there. Then freshmen year in high school BOOM acne all over my face mostly my forehead area and chin, never on my cheeks. I have tried everything in this world you can name from laser treatments topical gels to switching my birth control around like crazy. Even changing my flipping diet!!! Every dermatologist just threw prescriptions at me and honestly i did not what to go out in the world and would cry all day because of it. Worst feeling imaginable. Well i tried a new birth control and things calmed down again but then freshmen year in college the acne hit me all at once. When I'm meeting new people i as afraid they were staring at my face. Lack of sleep, poor diet, and stress I'm sure had an effect but then i was like f it I'm going to a top notch dermatologist. I went all the way to boston and she was the sweetest, nicest and down to earth dermatologist i have EVER met. She was like girl we are getting rid of this and prescribed me spironolactone( she even takes it herself). i have been on it for 3 months and my skin is completely acne free. I have some spots from sun and acne but they are slowly fading and i could not be happier. Please if your a girl struggling just get on this!!! also I'm using differin 0.3 gel to help cell turnover which helps so much. Sorry this was long but y'all needed to hear it!!!!

by CHoadley on 12/12/2014 19:36
also i have been off my birth control for a month due to no sex drive.. i give up on birth control anyone have a good one?!
by bm93 on 12/13/2014 19:10
im on ortho tricylen lo and spironolactone 50mg a day..its so good to hear that it cleared your skin it gives me hope that mines will too!!!
20yo on Spiro feeling impatient
Reviewed on November 22, 2014

Hello so I will be 30 days on Spiro 50mg a day on 11/27/14 I haven't noticed an impact yet but I am trying to stay patient even though their are days I feel hopeless.. a bit of background of myself I will be 21yrs old in December I was on the birth control implanon (implant on arm) since 2012 of june recently got off of it in May 2014 because I wanted a break from b.c but I have never suffered from acne problems just the normal breakout (2-3 small ones a month) just started breaking out in the end of august 2014 lower of my face mild acne around mouth on jawline n chin so I figured it had to be hormonal sincr I got off the implanon so my gyno put me on orthotricyclen lo I been on that since Sept 21, 2014 but I still have mild acne on lower of my face get new pimples evevery day can SOMEONE give me SOME ADVICE OR SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH spiro. Please and thank you I have become so unhappy and my confidence has decreased alot!

by hll406 on 11/22/2014 15:25
I am 35....benn on Siro 50mg 2x/day for 1.5 months and have noticed nothing except constipation and about a 2 pound weight loss. Should I really keep going?
by brinyoung on 11/23/2014 05:46
Spiro notoriously takes a while to kick in, just like any hormonal treatment. But keep going! Spiro is the only thing that eventually cleared my acne completely.
by bm93 on 12/01/2014 05:27
I still keep getting new acne and have many red and dark blemishes from the cystic acne that I was gettin everyday..just trying to hang in there! I hope to see results soon! Today marks my 33 day n spiro 50mg
by gmailgrl on 12/05/2014 04:14
stay hopeful! 6 months after starting, along with yaz and I haven't had a breakout since! it's been over a year now! I still take it faithfully!
by bm93 on 12/12/2014 05:13
I hope too see full results soon staying Patient!!! Also my dermatologist prescribed me bactrim its an antibiotic pill that im taking twice a day she says it should help speed up the process plus im using retin-a at night! I hope this works, good luck to everyone!
by tbos94 on 12/13/2014 03:58
Stay patient! This medicine worked really quickly for me, but this medicine works for females with hormonal acne. My acne was severe, so if yours is mild and have been experience some acne it may just be because of getting on and off birth control. But, give it more time!! Don't be impatient because all medicines especially acne topicals and medicines take weeks to a few months to really start working.
by bm93 on 12/13/2014 19:07
Sinve alot of ppl on here are taking 100mg a day should I tell my dermatologist to put me on a high dose since im jus on 50mg a day or stay at 50mg because im pretty small I weigh 115lbs and im 4'11 in height
You need a lot of PATIENCE with spironolactone!
Reviewed on December 11, 2014

This medication takes a bit of time to work. for me personally it started to kick in fully at 8 months. I had absolutely no break outs by the 8th month. for some people they see full on results between 3-6mothns. This medications works for hormonal acne but you need a lot of patience with it , Do not give up ! Give it up to 8months to see if you see a change in your acne. Another thing is you must drink lots of Water ,you must train your body to love water.

My dosage was started at 100mg then upped to 150mg a day around month 4,

I also got on Yaz birth control once I started spironolactone.

For topical I was prescribed fiancea to fade my acne hyper pigmentation , and to spot treat my acne.

by LRH714 on 12/11/2014 20:37
What was the process for getting a prescription for spiro? Did you have to do any initial testing or bloodwork? Have you had to do any since? Also, did you get this from a dermatologist or your general practitioner/OBGYN?
by bm93 on 12/12/2014 05:16
You can get it prescribed by a dermatologist
by Sgala3 on 12/26/2014 19:50
I got my prescriptions from my dermatologist and also yes I do get my potassium levels checked regularly
25 with moderate to severe cystic acne
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

I have been using 100 mg of sprinolactone for 14 weeks and I couldn't be happier with the results. I use it in conjunction with birth control and Aczone. I have had mild acne on and off since I was a teenager but over the past 2 years it developed into moderate and at times severe cystic acne with my skin not being clear for months at a time. I had tried everything else, antibiotics, topical creams, etc. and nothing was working. After starting spironolactone I slowly saw results but did have a cluster breakout of pimples on my cheeks about once every 3 weeks at the beginning. However, my skin has been clear for the past month and I keep telling my sisters who suffer from the same kind of acne as me to get a prescription! No major side effects except for feeling dizzy when I get up sometimes if I am dehydrated. Stick with it, it's worth it!

by bm93 on 12/20/2014 21:56
What do you use for face wash and mosturizer?