Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1111 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spironolactone

Finally something that worked!
Reviewed on February 11, 2016

After 14 years of struggling with acne and trying everything under the sun, I am happy to say that my acne is almost completely gone with the help of spironolactone. I am kicking myself for not visiting a dermatologist sooner. I have been taking this medication for three months now. When I first began taking the medication I was prescribed 50 mg a day, in addition I was prescribed a benzoyl peroxide face wash for the morning and a Aczone topical, and in the evening wash with a gentle facial cleanser (I chose Cetaphil) and Ziana at night. Prior to this regimen, it was not uncommon for me to wake up with a minimum of 3-5 new pimples, many of them deep and painful. Within 2 weeks there was a significant change with the amount, frequency and type of pimples I would have. I would wake up with a pimple or two sometimes. During that first month I think I only had six pimples maximum. And they weren't mostly cystic, it was primarily little whiteheads, one cyst during my menstrual cycle. After the first month my dermatologist kept my regimen almost the same, only increasing my dosage of Spironolactone so I can hopefully clear up completely, I take 50 mg twice a day. Luckily I have not yet experienced any side effects during the course of using this medication and breakouts are incredibly rare, only a cyst or two around my period. I am so thankful that I took my dermatologist's recommendation! This has greatly improved my confidence and drastically reduced the time it takes for me to get ready in the morning. I don't have to spend an hour just trying to cover up acne anymore, it takes me fifteen to twenty minutes to put on a full face of makeup and run out the door and I don't feel like I have to hide anymore.

My Deep Acne is Gone
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

I'm 24 and I've struggled with acne and cynical acne since puberty. And, as I've gotten older, it has only gotten worse. Most of the acne was concentrated on my cheeks, jawline, chin, and neck.

I started on 25mgs for the first three months. There was quite a bit of improvement, but I still had some breakouts. It seemed like with every period cycle I would breakout out before my period, but then after, it would be much clearer than before.

At my three month dermatologist appointment, they upped me to 50mg. Now, after six months on this stuff I'm completely acne free! And, it has been YEARS since my face has been this clear.

I'm also on Aczone in the morning and Epiduo Forte at night.

At the beginning, I did stuffer a few side effects like low blood pressure/dizziness and loss of appetite. But, by taking the medication at night, it reduced the side effects to practically nothing.

If you're struggling with hormonal acne, I'd really give this a go. It's helped me out tremendously. It takes awhile complete clarity, but the results are definitely worth it.

by ekrieger on 02/10/2016 17:37
did you have an initial break out?
Getting off after 2 months of non-stop break outs and mood swings
Reviewed on February 4, 2016

ADVICE/INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have been on spironolactone for 2 months now. Here is what my experience has been like: new breakouts every day (one pimple at a time, sometimes clumps), horrible mood swings, some depression, acne in places I've never had it before, slower healing skin, darkening of all the hyperpygmentation on my face, nausea, and that's just to name a few. Heres some background information about me: I am a 21 year old college student. I always had good skin, probably one pimple on my face normally, if not clear. Around my 21st birthday I began to get ugly, long lasting deep pimples (not cysts but under the skin) around my period. My derm prescribed me this and from the 2nd week I took it the breakouts started. Deep cysts, followed now by just pimples popping up everywhere. I can't keep up with my skin and the stress it has caused me. Tomorrow I am going to my derm and I am going to try Bactrim for a few months to combat the breakouts I will probably get from getting off the medication. I also started aczone which has helped prevent new breakouts so far. I believe spiro was too strong of a medication for me to be put on. It fluctuated my hormones so severly that I am not sure if I will ever feel/look normal again. My advice, if you are young (25 and below), your hormones may not need another factor effecting them. I am hoping the best for this antibiotic but if not I am doing a low dose round of accutane. I apologize if I seem negative, however this has been the roughest 2-3 months of my life, I have little self confidence and I find myself avoiding going to class, seeing friends, and even seeing my boyfriend. I am sure for PCOS and older women, this drug is a miracle worker. However for me, it amplified the awful hormonal imbalances that I am facing at this time in my life. If you have had a similiar experience, or are my age and having these problems, please reach out. I also understand this medication can take up to 6 months to work, however my skin has already completely changed from it. I can hardly keep my pores unclogged, and while it has cut my oil production in half, my skin looks like a hyper pigmented mess and still produces acne (cystic included). Again, I apologize for the negativity and I hope all of us can find a way to manage our acne.

by katie.davis82 on 02/10/2016 01:16
Just wanted to update for any people looking at this: I stopped spironolactone about 5 days ago, started Bactrim 6 days ago and the breakouts have almost completely stopped. Not just a bunch of acne marks and PIH, ugh. So glad I found what was causing my acne!
miracle
Reviewed on January 29, 2016

Has cleared up all of my acne and I'm only on 50 milligrams. my scars are starting to fade too!! so happy with the results

by katie.davis82 on 02/04/2016 22:04
I have a few questions: how old are you? do you just take it once a day? how long did it take you to see results?
Temporary fix/ Bandaid
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I've battled hormonal acne since age 10 Currently 22. I've been on every antibiotic and topical cream on the market and even did a course of accutane. I tried to fight the battle the NATURAL way for a year with no improvement. In 12/2014 my acne was the worse it's ever been I was depressed and stayed locked in my house hidden all winter. Finally the derm that I'd been seeing for two years finally stopped wasting my time and referred me to an OBGYN to treat my hormonal acne. 4/2015 I started taking Spiro at 25mg twice daily for two months and saw no results until I upped my dose to 100mg drastic change no more breakouts oil production cut in half my skin is gorgeous scars and all and with my scars fading no more huge pores my skin just continues to improve. It's now been 3 1/2 month's and I will continue to take this amazing med that has made daily life a ton better for me. A couple of weeks ago I started doing the ACV and Indian healing clay mask every 3 days and it's a black head blaster and is great at drawing impurities out of the skin. I may look into chemical peels for the deeper scarring I have but overall I'm happy and grateful to have came across this miracle drug my mood is even better depression is GONE and anxiety greatly reduced. The good out ways the bad for me.

CONS*:

Some tiredness here and there.

Thirst

Excessive urination at night on some nights after 2nd dose

Some dehydration in the a.m. due to urination at night

Made my period 2 days longer (was 5 days now 7days) but still regular every 25 days.

I may switch up my pill cycle to prevent this. Also this started only when I upped the dose to the 50mg twice daily so my body may still be adjusting.

I love this med and would recommended to anyone

UPDATE:

8-12-2015

So I'm going back down to 50mg a day because the side effects w/ 100mg have become a bit much my period is now irregular and I've been a bit depressed. Going back to 50mg .

UPDATE:

8/28/15

At 50mg the depression is gone but my oil production is back up so I'm getting some clogged pores and some breakouts very mild though. I'm considering upping the dose to 75mg as an attemp to control the oil so the clogged pore breakouts stop. 100mg is the magic dose for 100% clear glowing skin but the side effects are nothing but trouble.

****12/4/2015****

I no longer take Spiro for a number of reasons. It may seem like a maricle and fill you with joy to finally have some skin clarity however, at what cost? Smh Spiro is no good in my opinion it alters the way your kidneys function, spares too much potassium, messes with your thyroid, gives you sore breast, depression, irregular periods, dehydration, crazy fatigue and you WILL STILL HAVE ACNE. These are all the things I experienced while on spiro my skin was clearer but never completely clear I'd still get 2-3 jawline pimples around my period they would heal fast but I never got full clarity . Winter's here and now my skin is breaking out more and Spiro is not helping AT ALL and I feel I gave Spiro too much credit when I feel I owe that credit to the summer and the vitamin d(sun) I was getting all summer. The past 3 years I've watched my acne closely and I've notice that my acne is BAD in the winter and VERY MILD in the summer. I decided to try more natural things and recently started taking 6,000IU vitamin d, spearmint tea & peppermint tea along with a kidney and liver detox tea, I'm gonna keep doing this regimn and see how is goes. As for Spiro STAY AWAY

by ko12345 on 07/29/2015 20:16
How long were you on 100mg before you saw results?
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 13:51
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 14:03
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by ed13 on 08/13/2015 04:32
I am in the same spot as you, but I am still breaking out- want to go back to 50, wondering how ur doing and what side effects u had
Miracle drug with strange side effects!
Reviewed on January 25, 2016

I started getting cystic acne when I was about 15 and it all went downhill from there. Treatment after treatment antibiotics and so forth. I'm sure most of rwading this know the struggle.

I finally got referred to a competent Dermatologist in June of 2015 when I started taking Spiro along with a RetinA topical cream. It is now January 2016. My face used to be destroyed and covered in breakouts and cysts. I was so depressed most of the time that I'd be willing to go to far lengths just to not have this plague of a horrible disorder of the skin. It took time and patience, but now people don't even belive me when I say I had horrible acne. Just some light scaring and mild breakouts of a pimple or two around my cycle.

On that note, I did experience lots of side effects. Some people don't think it's worth it and it depends on the person but I was at my wits end.

Some side effects I experienced were:

Dizziness, bizarre dreams (especially when starting and lowering or higher ingredients doses), frequent urination, getting dehydrated easily, dry itchy scalp, dry itchy ears on inside, terrible fatigue, and now I've developed dermatitis on my elbows and hands. I am currently weaning of my 25mg twice a day original prescription to just take 25mg once until I stop taking all together. I am hoping this will help the dermatitis go away. My Dermatologist says the dry skin and dermatitis is unrelated but this started happening when I started the medicine so I don't see what else it could have been.

Regardless, I was so tired of having red painful dots that screamed "look at my weird face" all the time that I would happily trade it in for the side effects especially if they leave once I stop taking this medicine all together.

I'm curious if anyone else had these kind of side effects with dry skin?

Good luck.

by Exning on 02/05/2016 20:58
Sounds like an allergic reaction!
One Week on Sprio, No Serious Side Effects Yet
Reviewed on January 9, 2016

To start this off, I want to mention that my doctor did blood tests and found that my DHEA sulfate was very high (622 when it should only be 400 something) so I had some pretty clear evidence that my acne was hormonal.

Anyway, one week on the meds! (And three weeks back on birth control). My face is a lot clearer, I haven't really had any new pimples show up, though it does still feel like there is stuff under the surface. As far as side effects, I haven't had many. At first I had to pee a lot of course, but that pretty much went away after the first day (though I did wake up in the middle of the night last night to pee, but I'd had a lot of water before bed). I felt very slightly dizzy once, but I drank some water and it was gone, so I'm not sure if I even was feeling dizzy. I've had some heartburn a couple of times (once after having a glass of whisky) but I'm not sure if I can attribute that to the meds. The thing is, it was a different kind of heart burn, like pressure more than burning.

I've also had some super dry skin on my face since starting. I bought cerave in the tub and have used it at night (as well as aquaphor once) and also used a 2% glycolic acid wipe one night, and that seemed to take care of most of the flakes. I'm also still using my pocket derm meds every couple of nights, and washing my face with water once a day and cerave foaming cleanser once a day.

I'm going in for blood work next week to make sure there's no problems, and I'll update with any new information then!

by jesrose on 01/17/2016 16:09
January 17, 2016 Two weeks on the meds! My face is still very clear. I had two pimples show up this week, but they were very small whiteheads that went away pretty quickly. My face isn't really dry or flaky anymore, but I've still been using cerave in the tub a lot and I used nip + fab glycolic fix once this week. I have noticed a new, weird side effect that I plan on bringing up when I see my doctor for a follow up. I've had what feels likes muscle cramping in my left foot and the backs of my hands. It almost feels like the vein is throbbing. From my little bit of internet research it looks like too much potassium can cause muscle cramps, so I guess I'll see on my two week blood work if my potassium is too high. I've also had the weird heart burn a couple more times. I haven't been woken up at night to pee anymore, but I've also been careful to take my second pill earlier in the evening and not drink much water past 9 pm. I usually get most of my acne in the middle of my cycle (which should be this next week or two) so the real test will be how my face looks after that. I'll update again in a week!
by jesrose on 01/23/2016 21:28
Three weeks on the meds. I've had 1 huge cyst on my chin this week, 1 medium one on my chin, and 3 small zits, one by my mouth and two on my cheeks. I can feel another big one forming on my chin. A hydrocolloid took care of the huge one and medium one overnight. This is fewer cysts and fewer acne overall than I would normally have at this time of the month, and they seem to be going away more quickly too. Dryness is the same, as long as I use enough moisturizer my face isn't dry and flaky. I still have to pee a lot. Still having some weird pressure in my chest and throbbing in my hands and feet. A new symptom I've noticed (that I actually think has been going on the whole time, it's just more noticeable now) is that I'm really tired. The first couple of weeks I thought that maybe it was because I was staying up later than usual. And it may be. But last night I went to bed around 10:30, and woke up this morning around 8:30, and I'm super sleepy right now. However, that could also be caused by my thyroid, as sometimes my hashimotos randomly acts up. My blood work is scheduled for Monday, so I'll let you know next week how the meds have affected my levels.
be extremely careful
Reviewed on January 4, 2016

The medication I took was called ALDACTONE which is the same thing

I highly do not recommend this!!!

Be extremely careful with this medication. I took it for a period of 9 months. First three months now that I look back I didn't realise just how clear my skin was, probably the clearest since I first started to get acne.

After the three month mark things went downhill. My acne came back worse and since then it's been over a year since I still have acne to this day, it never went away and I'm stilling struggling to get rid of it. But that isn't the worse part.

I developed severe depression from this medication, I know some people don't believe medication gives people depression although I never had depression before taking this and I've still got it a year and a half later. It got so bad I was becoming suicidal. The depression was not from the acne just to note, I started getting depression before my acne got worse. Due to depression I put in a lot of weight and still have not lost it. On top of all that I started having lighter periods and then eventually they just stopped. Also I'm losing hair currently, not sure if this is related to long term side effects from this medication

I didn't look into this medication before I took it and I have never regretted anything more in my life. Taking this medication for such a long time I can easy say was the worst decision of my life. Please please be extremely careful.

Give it time.
Reviewed on December 30, 2015

Little background: It was the end of my Junior year in high school and I got extremely extremely bad acne. It covered my ENTIRE face. I couldn't run my hands over my skin or even wash it without wincing in pain. I became deeply depressed over the summer and barely left my room. I knew I needed help and my mom took me to the doctors. They said I had severe acne and needed medication to help clear it. The first medication I had been on was doxycycline. I was on that for about 4 months and things got clear, not completely but enough. I decided to get off but of course, the acne came back. So I revisited my doctor and got prescribed minocyline and a birth control. I liked mino much better than doxy, one less pill and easier on the stomach. Finally I went to the doctors again for a check up and they decided to check my blood. I have irregular hormone levels, which was causing the acne. In order to correct the levels I needed a medication of course. So I was prescribed spironolactone! I have been on this for about 4 months and absolutely love it. It is 100 times better than any other medication I have tried. It took awhile to get started, maybe 3 months. But my skin was clear, no bumps, no cysts. One thing I would recommend is not waiting to refill.. The past week I forgot and haven't taken the pill in 5 days, and I now have multiple breakouts and cysts around my chin.. Of course I am discouraged but have faith that the pill will fix it all up quickly :)

It's working
Reviewed on December 28, 2015

I have been eager to write this review but wanted to wait until the three month mark to report my results. You really have to give this medicine at least three months, if not more, to reach full effect. I know how extremely difficult it is to suffer from excessive acne, and I NEVER thought I'd find anything to help me. I thought I was doomed for life since it kept getting worse and worse and NOTHING would help in the slightest. I hope that my review can give others hope that they can overcome their hormonal acne.

My story is like many others. Suffered from acne since puberty, I am now 22. Over the last year, it had gotten so bad that I was having constant cysts and spots on not only my face, but down the sides of my neck. It was all over my face, but mostly concentrated on my jawline and cheeks. Huge spots that would shoot onto the mirror if I popped them. I would have 20+ spots at a time (of all different kinds, not including blackheads and clogged plugs) with 5-10 new spots a day. It was exhausting and effected my self-esteem severely, and no one understood why. I tried everything over the last 10 years of course. I started wasting A LOT of my free time doing extensive research on why acne happens. I don't trust dermatologists. I came across spironolactone and printed out scientific studies and such to bring to my gynecologist that has been seeing me since I was 15. I cried to him about how unbearable my acne was and begged him to let me try spironolactone even though he said my testosterone levels were in normal range. I've had extremely irregular periods since puberty, excess hair growth, and cysts on my ovaries... so that led me to believe that spiro could work since those are all symptoms of excess testosterone or testosterone sensitivity. He was familiar with the medication, and agreed. Thank GOD he did. I started on 25MG twice daily for 2 or 3 weeks, then I got anxious and upped in to 50MG twice daily. I started spironolactone in late September(3 months ago and it is now late December. I broke out consistently and constantly during this. Now, finally, within the last week I am noticing definite results. I only have 4 or 5 active spots right now, which is obviously a major improvement. I still have a lot of blackheads, clogged pores, and scaring, but I am confident that will all clear up with time! I'm not at the end of the road quite yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Spiro works, but PLEASE give it time. And don't reviews it after 2 weeks because that's not how this medicine works....

I've had no negative side effects except for frequent urination... but honestly I can deal with that if that means that my skin doesn't look like a mountain range anymore. I dealt with some heart palpitations and anxiety the first few weeks... but determined that it was just from dehydration and electrolytes imbalance since I'm peeing out all

my salt and retaining potassium. I just try to drink more water and increase my salt intake... all has been good! I will update in a few months.