Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1141 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Weight gain on Spiro
Reviewed on October 21, 2016

I have been on spironolactone for 1 year 3 months. I have gained 22lbs in total while being on this medication. I know its the medication because nothing changed in my every day routine. I stopped spiro about a month ago and already I've notice I lost a few pounds. I was on the 100mg. I will say when I was on the 50mg I didn't notice the weight gain, so maybe it's the increased dosage, but either way its such a struggle. I don't want to be fat with clear skin, nor do I want to be skinny with cystic acne. I'm on Natazia birth control pills, and so far 2 months its not doing it alone, so I may have to try something in addition to that, just don't know what.

Feeling grateful (be patient)!
Reviewed on October 14, 2016

Background: I had struggled with mild acne throughout my teen years. However, when I turned 18, my acne became severely cystic. It was getting to the point where I was getting pitted scarring. I was also struggling immensely with my self-esteem. I was terrified of going outside, meeting people, working with others and so forth. I was depressed and had a negative outlook on my future. Anybody who believes your feelings are in vain have no idea what struggling with severe acne is like.

Treatment: I, like many with acne, became consumed by looking for a cure (diets, ointments, peroxides etc.). Hoping to stumble upon something that would give me some glimmer of hope. I was too scared to take Accutane, but also fed up with having acne. After struggling for so long and silently, I decided enough was enough. I came across these great reviews and thought what the heck!

Currently: I started on 50 mg of sprio and noticed improvement within a few weeks. After 6-months though, I can say my skin has healed so much. I could cry. I still do get SMALL red blemishes every now and then, but it's heaven compared to what I had before. I notice on 75 mg my skin gets clearer (but I've had some side effects on 75 mg like getting my period every 2 weeks, peeing like crazy which is why I stuck to 50 mg). I wasn't expecting perfection, just improvement and I'm much happier now.

Cleared up acne on my jaw line
Reviewed on October 11, 2016

I took this medication for 1 full year, after 4 months of taking it I noticed improvement with breakouts along my jawline but that is it.

It works, but takes a while
Reviewed on September 23, 2016

I have adult hormonal cystic acne on my jawline and I take 100mg of this daily. It took about 3 months, but it did end up clearing up the cysts. I will still get a cyst every once in a while, but not in big clumps like I used to. Just a warning, though, this does cause more frequent urination. I'm getting up 2-3 times a night to go.

Spiro for past 3 years - different dosages - different manufacturer
Reviewed on August 13, 2016

Hi everyone,

I never thought I'd be writing on one of these but I understand the emotional and physical anxiety that comes with hormonal acne.

I am about to turn 20 but have been on Spiro since I was 17. I've never had cystic acne, but I've had relentless hormonal acne that has taken a tole on my confidence.

I started on 50 mg (17 years old) and it took 6 months to be clear. Yes, you initially break out and I broke out around my first prom (lots and lots of years). But it is worth it - I had amazing skin all my senior year.

Last December (19 years old) I was incredibly stressed out with a new college and all the stresses that come with that and started to have mini break outs on my chin. I upped my dosage to 100 mg which immediately cleared me up in a month. My skin had never been better.

This June, my pharmacy changed manufacturers without telling me (Amneal to some generic drug) and I broke out once again around my chin. I was devastated. I didn't know why or how this had happened so I upped my dosage once again to 150 mg. I have been on this new dosage for about a month and a week ago, I switched pharmacies so I'm back on the old manufacturer (Amneal).

I'm incredibly impatient and dramatic so I know my problem is no where near as severe as people with cystic acne. However, I have been completely clear and there is nothing quite like it.

The only issues I've noticed from the increased dosage is dry skin. I take 50 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night so I'm not tired during the day. The dry skin is a bitch but I'm trying to figure out a moisturizing routine and I'm sure it will fade in a couple months.

So far, I have discoloration and maybe 1 - 2 whiteheads. I will keep everyone updated.

To those who are starting out or struggling: I love you all and know that you are not alone. Love yourself with or without the acne, and I know that is so easy to say - but nothing is worth getting depressed over. Sending my love and good vibes to you all!

by KkLJ on 08/16/2016 18:42
Hey, very interesting to hear about your journey. I am in a similar situation. I've been taking Spironolactone for about 3 months now. I started out with 50 then went to 100 and now I'm on 150mg. I've heard it takes about three months to work, but unfortunately, for me, I haven't seen much of an improvement, and the improvement I have seen I think is due to the doxycyclin I'm taking, which I hate taking because it gives me horrible sunburns. You said it took 6 whole months to improve? I'm starting to wonder if this drug will even work at all since it's been 3 months. And also what's the pharmacy issue? I've never heard of issue with different manufacturers.
by tams2016 on 09/15/2016 04:51
I just starting using spiro three weeks ago. So far I haven't seen any changes, but after reading your review I feel very hopeful. Rome wasn't built in a day, my skin won't just magically clear up. Patience is not my virtue. Thanks for the reassurance :)
by mojo530 on 10/12/2016 08:32
UPDATE: NO MORE ACNE! Once I changed back to my old manufacturer (Amneal) my skin was clear. The only issue now is that I am SO DRY. I do think it is because I am on a higher dosage and I'm in a cold/dry climate. It's just infuriating that there's one issue after the other. Has anyone else experienced dry skin on Spiro and how long that takes to go away? Hoping my body gets used to it and I can stop freaking out about flaking and expensive moisturizers.
Reviewed on August 9, 2016

I've had mild/severe acne ever since I hit puberty. I've tried EVERYTHING other than accutane and really didn't want to go down that road. The pill Brenda helped clear me somewhat but I had to stop taking it because it was aggravating my depression. As soon as I stopped taking it my depression went away and my acne came back in full force.

I came across Spironolactone and really wanted to try it. Within a month of taking it my skin was already starting to clear. I've been taking it for over 4 months now and my skin has never looked so good. My skin is also visibly less oily. The best thing about this pill is that I haven't had ANY side effects... i'm taking 50mg. I do need to go to the toilet a little bit more than usual but for clear skin it's a small price to pay!

by Amrow2324 on 09/01/2016 02:02
Are you able to drink alcohol on spiro? I just started and am nervous about having anything
Extremely High DHEA-S, No PCOS
Reviewed on July 19, 2016

I take 50mg a day. Sometimes when I'm starting to break out a little, I take 100mg. (My Dermatologist has approved this)

Not to sound too dramatic, but spironolactone has changed my life. It has cleared 95% of my breakouts. Even though my acne has never been cystic, it is very severe. I would get tiny pustules all over my body which looked like folliculitis. Even my stomach had acne!!

Everyone thought I had PCOS until an ultrasound proved them wrong. For some reason my adrenal glands produce over twice the limit of DHEA-S and this is what causes my acne. If you're in the same boat as me, spironolactone is worth a shot.

I'm on Yaz as well, and I dread the day when I have to go off these meds.

Works good BUT....
Reviewed on July 13, 2016

I was on spiro for about a year last year and then a few months again this year. The first time I took it I was soo happy and amazed. I cleared up all of my big pimples on my cheeks and forehead and the only side effect I noticed was that the first few weeks I felt kind of light headed but that went away. However, I also experienced some really bad dry mouth which started to really bug me (still not 100% sure it was from this but I think it was). My other problem was that it did not clear up the tiny forehead bumps I got all over my forehead. Those never went away with this medicine for me. So I stopped taking it due to the dry mouth and forehead bumps and wanting to be "all natural" and not take any medications. My face broke out some more so I took it again for a few months but then stopped taking it again for all the same original reasons. Moral of the story: It works great but if you dont want to have to take a pill forever or deal with any possible side effects then try something else! Also- like other reviewers, i also lost about 5 or so lbs while on it because it makes your body release all of its water so you lose water weight and look a lot less bloated which was a plus

Wish I was pleased as everybody else...
Reviewed on July 11, 2016

I have extremely oily skin with mild-to-moderate acne that fluctuates. I was put on Spironolactone to try and help regulate my breakouts and it really only made me break out in places that are considered to be "hormonal breakout areas" like my jawline, neck and shoulders. It helped mildly with the smoothness of my face but I would still get breakouts around my period. Since I stopped taking it, my jaw and neck don't have any breakouts and the condition of my face remains as it was. I haven't seen enough of a miracle with this product that would make me keep using it.

Almost three weeks in
Reviewed on July 8, 2016

I am 20 years old, have had acne for about 5 years! Pretty deep and painful cysts but also many on the surface that take a few days to go away. I have tried Minocycline, Bactrim, and Trimethoprim. I would say that none of these worked for me, not even before I developed a resistance to the antibiotics.

So my dermatologist prescribed spironolactone! I have been taking 100 mg, once a day, for almost three weeks. He also gave me Epiduo to use as a topical medication. Also would like to mention, I took hormonal BC for about two months which cleared me up. It also made me seriously depressed so I had to switch back to my minipill. (This is how my doctor recommended Spiro to me, because it blocks androgens, which part of what the estrogen in BC does.)

First week: Had a slight headache that I could combat with Advil and lots of water (I still worked a full time job so it wasn't unbearable). I also had about three cysts present themselves BUT they were super easy to cover and are basically gone now. I knew there would be an initial breakout and I am just happy it wasnt worse! I had also used the Epiduo twice that week, so my face was a bit dry, but not anything my moisturizer couldn't fix.

Week two: This week the cysts were definetly shrinking and I did not get any new ones. The headaches were completely gone, and I felt like my normal self. Some people claim that this medication makes them sluggish although I don't feel that way at all! In fact I felt pretty good- probably from all the water I was drinking. I used Epiduo three times this week, and I think that it is helping a lot with the small pimples that arise at the surface, I had significantly less than I typically get in a week.

So now I am halfway through week three and I feel good! I don't want to get too optimistic because if this doesnt work it will be more of a bummer, but I have to say I am pretty happy! I have been told it takes about three months so I am going to wait it out.

My acne is relatively mild, so I am very sympathetic to people who really suffer, and I would like to address the people who worry about the IB or other early on side effects:

Three months time is going to pass anyway. Whether you take the medication or not the time will pass, and three months from now, if you hadn't taken the Spiro, you will definetly still have bad acne, but if you do take it, three months from now you could have the beautiful radiant skin that you dream of!

That's what keeps my spirits up. Hope this helped!

(4 stars simply because I am just starting!)