Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1050 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Have Yet to Try
Reviewed on December 19, 2014

Like a reviewer below, I was on the Implanon for the full 3 years until August 2014. After having the implant removed, within a week, I had a breakout that consisted on 5 inflamed cystic-like pimples on the left side of my face starting from my jaw line and moving upward towards my cheekbone. Before the implant removal, I had some mild acne, nothing near what it is today. I wake up with new inflamed pustules and cysts almost daily. I currently use Doxy 100mg daily since October and Epiduo topical nightly with minimal, and I mean MINIMAL (if any) improvement. My derm also prescribed me Spiro, which I literally just filled today, I am over this and over all the medication. My skin is definitely marked with hyper-pigmentation and some scarring. It sucks. My gyno said she has never seen or heard of this kind of change after the implant removal, but I have my doubts since nothing else could have wrecked havoc on my skin to this extent. I am going to try spiro and risk the side effects because I feel awful so anything that MAY help me is worth it at this point. I am concerned about period irregularities and refuse to take any oral contraceptive and go through this again in the future. I am 25 years old btw and have not experienced anything like this until now.

by bm93 on 12/20/2014 18:48
I feel like my acne was caused by removing the implanon and it sucks how it just had me breaking out since the removal of the implanon..I been on spiro now for almost 2months and I just hope this cures us stay patient
I'm unsure
Reviewed on December 15, 2014

I started this in Aug 2014 and my acne got better but in Nov I started forgetting to take it 5 days in one week and I went back on and forgotten for another 5 days the next weekend. Now it's full blonde crazy around my cheeks and chin and not sure what to do.

by Stanz on 12/15/2014 14:18
Sorry I meant 'full blown' acne all over.
by bm93 on 12/16/2014 04:38
Start taking it again but this time make sure you take it every day without missing a day..and speak to your dr to see what else he can prescribe you while the spironolactone starts to take affect.
7 months and I still have acne :(
Reviewed on December 14, 2014

I started spironolactone 7 months ago and I still have acne. I started taking it in May 2014 50mg a day. I have NOT seen any improvement, my acne just stayed the same. Big red and inflamed, all over my neck and chin really bad (that is normal for me). Last month my doctor upped my dosage to 100mg a day still no improvement. He said I need to come back and see him in February. I can't believe that is medicine isn't working for me. All the other reviews I've read are so positive and people are so happy. Should I keep taking it for another two months and just keep my fingers crossed or should I just give up and face the fact that this medicine just isn't for me? I'm so disappointed I had the highest hopes for this to work for me. I am a 32 year old woman with acne and I feel like I just wasted 7 months on this medicine. I am really sad but I'm am glad that others are seeing the results I wished I could of had.

by bm93 on 12/14/2014 06:54
There is a review down here where a someone started seeing results at 8months so I say hang in there give it another 2months andif nnot talk to ur dr ,stay patient!
by acnebegone82 on 12/14/2014 21:33
Thanks, I will hang in there for another 2 months. Fingers crossed!
The BEST decision I have EVER MADE!!!
Reviewed on December 13, 2014

Spironolactone: this medicine is the best decision I have EVER made. And I promise, I am not someone that had 2 zits on my face and was upset... I was someone that had large inflamed, painful, hormonal acne constantly all over especially my lower and middle cheeks (12+ zits constantly.) It was awful and I of course have bad red mark scarring everywhere, BUT this medicine has made me ACNE FREE! I started this medicine in mid August 2014 and now it is mid December 2014 and my face is wonderful (besides of course for the scars)

I had always suffered from acne in high school, but once I became a freshman in college my acne was out of control. The zits became larger and were spreading like wildfire. This of course continued and got worse though my second year of college. I am now a junior and this fall semester I started this medicine and I am a new and more confident person that doesn't stare at the mirror in despair crying and wishing it would all disappear. If you are a female, please please consider taking this medicine. I had taken blood tests to test my hormone levels, and the results were pretty much normal, but that did not mean my acne was not hormonal because mine sure as hell was and was awful. So please! Try this!!! I am on 50mg twice a day. I have had no side effects, besides wonderful and clear skin.

P.S. If I could attach pictures of my previous horrendous acne I so would, but sadly that is not an option!

Also, if you would like to read a really great clinical study all about this medicine here it is! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315877/

by momobabyx3 on 12/19/2014 04:02
What did you use in combination? Like face wash?
life changer
Reviewed on December 12, 2014

im not kidding to whoever is reading this... please just take it. It has changed my life completely. Im 19 years old female in college. Heres my story: ever since 6th grade I've had a pimple here and there. Then freshmen year in high school BOOM acne all over my face mostly my forehead area and chin, never on my cheeks. I have tried everything in this world you can name from laser treatments topical gels to switching my birth control around like crazy. Even changing my flipping diet!!! Every dermatologist just threw prescriptions at me and honestly i did not what to go out in the world and would cry all day because of it. Worst feeling imaginable. Well i tried a new birth control and things calmed down again but then freshmen year in college the acne hit me all at once. When I'm meeting new people i as afraid they were staring at my face. Lack of sleep, poor diet, and stress I'm sure had an effect but then i was like f it I'm going to a top notch dermatologist. I went all the way to boston and she was the sweetest, nicest and down to earth dermatologist i have EVER met. She was like girl we are getting rid of this and prescribed me spironolactone( she even takes it herself). i have been on it for 3 months and my skin is completely acne free. I have some spots from sun and acne but they are slowly fading and i could not be happier. Please if your a girl struggling just get on this!!! also I'm using differin 0.3 gel to help cell turnover which helps so much. Sorry this was long but y'all needed to hear it!!!!

by CHoadley on 12/12/2014 19:36
also i have been off my birth control for a month due to no sex drive.. i give up on birth control anyone have a good one?!
by bm93 on 12/13/2014 19:10
im on ortho tricylen lo and spironolactone 50mg a day..its so good to hear that it cleared your skin it gives me hope that mines will too!!!
20yo on Spiro feeling impatient
Reviewed on November 22, 2014

Hello so I will be 30 days on Spiro 50mg a day on 11/27/14 I haven't noticed an impact yet but I am trying to stay patient even though their are days I feel hopeless.. a bit of background of myself I will be 21yrs old in December I was on the birth control implanon (implant on arm) since 2012 of june recently got off of it in May 2014 because I wanted a break from b.c but I have never suffered from acne problems just the normal breakout (2-3 small ones a month) just started breaking out in the end of august 2014 lower of my face mild acne around mouth on jawline n chin so I figured it had to be hormonal sincr I got off the implanon so my gyno put me on orthotricyclen lo I been on that since Sept 21, 2014 but I still have mild acne on lower of my face get new pimples evevery day can SOMEONE give me SOME ADVICE OR SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH spiro. Please and thank you I have become so unhappy and my confidence has decreased alot!

by hll406 on 11/22/2014 15:25
I am 35....benn on Siro 50mg 2x/day for 1.5 months and have noticed nothing except constipation and about a 2 pound weight loss. Should I really keep going?
by brinyoung on 11/23/2014 05:46
Spiro notoriously takes a while to kick in, just like any hormonal treatment. But keep going! Spiro is the only thing that eventually cleared my acne completely.
by bm93 on 12/01/2014 05:27
I still keep getting new acne and have many red and dark blemishes from the cystic acne that I was gettin everyday..just trying to hang in there! I hope to see results soon! Today marks my 33 day n spiro 50mg
by gmailgrl on 12/05/2014 04:14
stay hopeful! 6 months after starting, along with yaz and I haven't had a breakout since! it's been over a year now! I still take it faithfully!
by bm93 on 12/12/2014 05:13
I hope too see full results soon staying Patient!!! Also my dermatologist prescribed me bactrim its an antibiotic pill that im taking twice a day she says it should help speed up the process plus im using retin-a at night! I hope this works, good luck to everyone!
by tbos94 on 12/13/2014 03:58
Stay patient! This medicine worked really quickly for me, but this medicine works for females with hormonal acne. My acne was severe, so if yours is mild and have been experience some acne it may just be because of getting on and off birth control. But, give it more time!! Don't be impatient because all medicines especially acne topicals and medicines take weeks to a few months to really start working.
by bm93 on 12/13/2014 19:07
Sinve alot of ppl on here are taking 100mg a day should I tell my dermatologist to put me on a high dose since im jus on 50mg a day or stay at 50mg because im pretty small I weigh 115lbs and im 4'11 in height
You need a lot of PATIENCE with spironolactone!
Reviewed on December 11, 2014

This medication takes a bit of time to work. for me personally it started to kick in fully at 8 months. I had absolutely no break outs by the 8th month. for some people they see full on results between 3-6mothns. This medications works for hormonal acne but you need a lot of patience with it , Do not give up ! Give it up to 8months to see if you see a change in your acne. Another thing is you must drink lots of Water ,you must train your body to love water.

My dosage was started at 100mg then upped to 150mg a day around month 4,

I also got on Yaz birth control once I started spironolactone.

For topical I was prescribed fiancea to fade my acne hyper pigmentation , and to spot treat my acne.

by LRH714 on 12/11/2014 20:37
What was the process for getting a prescription for spiro? Did you have to do any initial testing or bloodwork? Have you had to do any since? Also, did you get this from a dermatologist or your general practitioner/OBGYN?
by bm93 on 12/12/2014 05:16
You can get it prescribed by a dermatologist
25 with moderate to severe cystic acne
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

I have been using 100 mg of sprinolactone for 14 weeks and I couldn't be happier with the results. I use it in conjunction with birth control and Aczone. I have had mild acne on and off since I was a teenager but over the past 2 years it developed into moderate and at times severe cystic acne with my skin not being clear for months at a time. I had tried everything else, antibiotics, topical creams, etc. and nothing was working. After starting spironolactone I slowly saw results but did have a cluster breakout of pimples on my cheeks about once every 3 weeks at the beginning. However, my skin has been clear for the past month and I keep telling my sisters who suffer from the same kind of acne as me to get a prescription! No major side effects except for feeling dizzy when I get up sometimes if I am dehydrated. Stick with it, it's worth it!

by bm93 on 12/20/2014 21:56
What do you use for face wash and mosturizer?
Starting this treatment next week
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

**will keep updating as I go**

I will be getting married in 9 months. That being said I'm hopeful that'll give my skin enough time to a just to this medication.

when i was in my teens (14) i started suffering from acne. i mostly had it in my T-zone with the occasional cystic out breaks on my forehead. at the time my reg. doc gave me a scrip for Duac. this ended up being the wonder drug for me! after being on it for two years, i noticed i had "grown out" of my out breaks and was easily treated with otc so i stopped taking the duac.

Fwd to around 20 and i was getting more mild out breaks around my cheek area, my doc then decided it was hormonal and put me on a low dose Birth control pill to balance me. This set my skin over the edge! I've never been so badly and painfully broken out in my cheeks while on the pill. I had black heads, white heads, and cystic acne. I was on the pill for 3 months trying to give it a chance. i couldn't take it and stopped taking it. i then requested to be put back on the duac. unfortunately, duac isn't working as well as it did. it cleared up the black heads and the white heads about 85%, but not the cystic. my cheeks are starting to get a couple of "pits" and its depressing to look at. no amount of make-up will hide them... on top of it my skin has been very oily and my pores are enlarged. reading other reviews on this drug is giving me hope. most everyone else who is posting reviews on this, were having the same problems. my acne isn't as bad as most. i usually have around 2-3 cysts in my cheeks, the duac is keeping the white heads at bay. the cysts come around 1.5 weeks before my period and then finally subside after. then i'm for the most part "clear" of the cysts for about a week or so, till the cycle starts again. I'm nerves about the huge out break everyone describes, but I'm hopeful by summer my skin will finally be clear and i don't have to worry about doing a full face of make up any more.

Hey I updated my review! So happy!
Reviewed on August 30, 2014

08/30/2014

I am 25 years old, and when I was sixteen I got bad acne on my back. Went to the dermatologist, and it cleared right up. Then after that I was fine, no real problems. Then I hit 22, my acne is not awful, its moderate. It feels awful though. I always pick at them I can't help it. So at 22, I was put on birth control to help, and antibiotics, then retin-a. I read it can take up to a year to work, I used it off and on for the first year, then I decided to get serious so I used it religiously, nine months go by and no change. I get maybe four days out of the month with clear skin. I noticed it got really bad the week before my period, and during. I changed my dermatologist about a month ago. I told my new doctor that I felt like my old doctor would just put me on a different antibiotic at a higher dose, and never really asked my too many questions. He said he didn't understand why I was on retina, because he said it was for smaller pimples, and black heads. He prescribed spironolactone, because my acne was is the right place as hormonal acne, and it corresponded with my period. I am already on birth control, so he said to stay on it. He also paired it with minocycline antibiotic to help with the initial breakout. He told me the first week to do 1-2 25 mg pills a day of sprinolactone, then the next week up it to 2-3 pils, then the final week to take 4 pills, so 100 mg. He left it up to my to decide what dose my skin responds to the best. I am on the first day of the 100 mg week. I am still in the breakout stage, which isn't any worse then one of my bad breakouts. I am really hopeful about this. He told me to come back in November to check in, and see if it was working. I will update my post then. This dermatologist was much more attentive.

They that was three months ago above ^^^^^^^^^^

I am updating my review. Going from 3 to 5 stars. 12/08/2014

If you want my acne background scroll down to the August posts, and there it is. I have been on Spironolactone for three month's. I see a huge difference. My acne corresponds with my period. Last month there was still a breakout the week before my period started. This month nothing, no big breakout. My dermatologist wanted to be proactive so he wanted to do another check up 3 months after I started. Which was around my last period. Which was before thanksgiving. I still had a breakout going on when I went to see him. So he added a topical creme, to my birth control, and Spironolactone. I don't know if the spiro kicked in, or the topical put me over the top. Its probably a combination of both. My skin has been clear for three weeks now. Which is unusual for me. I only have moderate acne, but I still got pimples every week. Nothing since I started the topical. Its called AcZone, apparently is pretty expensive if you don't have insurance. My insurance covered the whole cost though. When I tried to fill it at the pharmacy, the girl said the insurance won't let me fill it, because they want to see I had tried other topical's. So she called the insurance and ask them to override it , because I had tried other things. It took only about ten minutes. I am pretty sure all three things I am on has helped me become totally clear. The birth control, and spiro helped the hormones. So that treated what was wrong on the inside, then the AcZone just put me over the top. I would recommend all three to you guys if your breakouts correspond with your period hormones! Birth control was free with insurance, AcZone was free with insurance if you have met your deductible, and I think spiro was 5 to 10 dollars with insurance! Oh and I didn't experience any of the negative symptoms on Spiro that some people have. No tiredness, no dizziness, or I have read some of you have had weight gain? I haven't gained a pound. I am really lucky, because I know all our bodies are different, and respond to things in different ways. It also only took 3 months to kick in for me, that might be because the other stuff helped too.

by Chelseakayheaton on 08/30/2014 01:02
I have never tried accutuane, because its scary, and I don't have severve acne, just moderate. I am really hoping this solves my skin issues. I also tried all natural things like taking a supplement, eating better, and having a strict face washing schedule. My problem was obviously deeper then superficial causes. Topical's didn't really work all that well for me.
by ang9243 on 08/30/2014 21:06
You have to keep taking it faithfully and you will see results, but you must be patient. Honestly, patience is the important thing here. I've been on Spironolactone for 17 months now and I have seen and still great results. I can't feel any better the side effects are totally worth it.