Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1100 reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Worked for a while
Reviewed on November 28, 2015

I have very persistent cystic acne, it is by no means extremely severe, but I usually have at least 1 medium/large cyst at a time that almost always leaves a scar. It is usually on my chin, next to my mouth, or on my cheeks and I'm sure it is hormonal. I have been on this drug for over six months, up to 100mg now. Around month 3 I saw an improvement, I wasn't getting any more cysts and my skin was pretty good aside from some scarring. I thought I finally found something that worked and I was so excited, however, these past two weeks (I'm almost on month 7) I got a terrible cystic breakout on one of my cheeks with a huge cyst that is taking weeks to go away.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid so I am pretty down :( I can deal with little, normal pimples but the huge cysts are killer and why I am on this medication in the first place.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go for accutane...hopefully it will be a more effective and permanent solution :(

It works
Reviewed on September 18, 2015

I have been taking it for three months. I love it my skin is clear. The only problems i have noticed are breast tenderness and i have had a period twice a month for two months ,which i dont like so not sure if i want to stay on it if that continues. I am going to ask my ob about if i should continue or not. I also use Retin A which as long as i keep using it my skin stays nice.

by 455167_1443952509 on 11/22/2015 00:49
What was your dosage?
Be patient!
Reviewed on September 12, 2015

Giving this drug 4 stars because I haven't been on it for 3 full months to see complete results yet. My story is similar to many others; I'm 27 and have had serious acne for about 13 years now. I've been through every medical treatment I possibly can, including two rounds of Accutane. Accutane worked for me while I was still on it, but once I came off, my acne was back to where it was. About two years ago, I was prescribed Spiro for the first time. I took it for about 6 months with great results, but had to stop because I began getting severe headaches and migraines. Because the only drug I was on was Spiro, I assumed my migraines were related to the dehydration caused by the drug. For the last year and a half I've been under the treatment of a neurologist for hormonal migraines. A few months ago it clicked- my acne must be hormone related too!

Fast forward to today. I've been on Spiro for about two months now, also taking doxy and using Retin-A at night and Aczone gel during the day. After a month, my skin dramatically went downhill. My derm said this was the Retin-A purge. I had about 10 cysts around my mouth/chin and about 10 cysts on my forehead for two weeks before I finally went to the derm and told her I couldn't take it anymore. She injected them with cortisone and they went away in about 3 days. Today, my skin looks AMAZING. I have only one cyst on my cheek and a TON of milia on both sides of my chin. This is a HUGE improvement from where I was 2 months ago, 6 months ago, 1 year ago, 2 years ago. Today my skin looks the best it has in about 5 years. I think the combo of Spiro and Retin-A is what is working for me. I've noseyed around the acne.org message boards for nearly 8 years now searching for hope. I want you girls with hormonal cystic acne like me to know that IT WILL GET BETTER. Don't settle for expensive OTC methods and sub-par skin. Please, please, please give Spiro a shot, and if your derm thinks you can also use Retin-A- even better!!

It works
Reviewed on September 11, 2015

I take 150 of spiro daily and it took me about 3 months to see total clearance of my skin. My oiliness is now normal. It didn't work overnight but it WORKS. I'm very impatient when it comes to my appearance, but my persistence paid off and I highly recommend spiro for women experiencing hormonal acne.

Reviewed on September 8, 2015

I honestly cannot recommend this medication highly enough!

A bit about me....

I'm 24 and have been suffering with terrible acne since finishing birth control 3 years ago (Yasmin). Never previously suffered with it. Acne was destroying my life....I hated going out in bright sunlight, I couldn't look people in the eye and dating was out of the question. I spent most of this summer in hibernation...not living at all.

I was contemplating going back on Yasmin as a last resort...I had tried being dairy free etc and nothing worked. Finally I saw Spironolactone mentioned on a forum but I was really hesitant to give it a go - Reading reviews like this are what encouraged me but I was skeptical. I bought it online because it is really difficult to get prescribed it in the UK. I wouldn't normally recommend doing so but as a medical student I was confident with the research I had done and my understanding of how it works - Generally it is pretty safe (especially in comparison to birth control).

So how long did it take to work? 7 days.

Dose - 100mg every morning.

I was prepared to wait it out but it honestly had an instant effect for me...I haven't been on it long but so far so good.

After one week my skin was clearer than it had been in 3 years. My skin felt completely different, my pores were reduced...my terrible cystic acne was healing and all the little tiny bumps all over my forehead were disappearing.

I'm still waiting to see if I get a delayed initial outbreak...but I don't think I will. My skin improves every day. I feel like I have my life back again.

Side effects:

Dizziness and nausea for the first few days.

Frequent urination (Make sure you drink plenty of water)

Fatigue - I am a lot more tired most of the time!

However, the pros far outweigh the cons and the side effects have only been mild for me.

If you're contemplating Spironolactone....Do it! It could be the best decision you ever make.

by jacqueline420 on 09/21/2015 20:52
would you mind please sharing where online you were able to obtain it?
On the fence
Reviewed on September 4, 2015

I did 2 rounds of accutane and it kept acne away for maybe a year. But it slowly starting coming back. I had a bad cause of acne but it wasn't cystic. Now i had 2 huge cystic zits that he actually gave me cortisone shot in. Ouchy! The derm put me on 100mg of spiro and now my face looks Bad!! I may have jumped the gun but I had 2 huge cystic zits that scared me. I think if I would've just let them be I would've been ok but I started taking the spiro and now I look like crap. Tons of tiny red pimples all over cheeks. Is this purging? I also just generally feel like crap. Headache, light headed, body ache, groggy. I hope this med pans out for me.

Skin looks great but losing hair
Reviewed on September 2, 2015

I have been on spiro 100 mg for about six months now and have seen great results; however about three months ago I noticed my hair hair really begun thinning. A little bit of history about myself. I am 47 years old and have suffered from cystic acne since a teenager. I have done several courses of accutane, which cleared my skin greatly only to go back to breaking out again. My new derm said I would love Spiro since my breakouts were hormonal. She was right. It reduced my oiliness and cleared up my skin. My skin never looked so good. I got so many compliments. However, then I started noticing the hair loss. So I do have some family history of hair thinning in women and had noticed that my crown had thinned in the last seven years or so. However this new hair loss has been pretty drastic. My scalp is really showing on the top of my head, and I seem to be shedding lots of hair when shampooing and throughout the day. I'm going back in to see my derm tomorrow hoping she may have some answers. I share this info in case anyone else has experienced similar symptoms. I've read up on it and can't really find that hair loss is a symptom rather quite the opposite as it's used for hair loss?? So if you don't experience the hair loss with it, I think it's great and would recommend trying it.

by aj12345 on 09/02/2015 16:00
I have been on spiro for three months and have noticed a drastic change in hair loss. My hair was very full and has thinned out dramatically. Very happy with skin though so far! Going to ask about the hair loss at my next appt....
This medicine totally works- be patient!
Reviewed on September 2, 2015

I am a 33 yr old female. I've been on this drug for three months now. I am finally so much happier with my skin! It was so depressing and awful to deal with months ago. I thought the acne wouldn't stop. And using a ton of makeup was disheartening and exhausting to cover everything up.

Note: I've been battling acne since I have been a teenager. With that said, I have taken antibiotics, tried face washes, creams, cleansing wipes, vitamins, you name it- even Accutane when I was 28. My skin was super clear from the accutane and stayed this way for a number of years. In the last two years, my skin started acting up again and in the last few months the hormonal cystic acne became really bad. When the new dermatologist I was seeing recommended spiro, I was completely on board after nothing seemed to help. she also prescribed oracea to take along with the spiro. I felt like while I was both that my stomach was upset. Anyway doc said Oracea would help speed up the process she said with the healing. I started the spiro at 25 mg and after a couple weeks upped it to 50 mg. I honestly didn't see much result in the first Month. And I was taking the antibiotics as well. It just takes a while for the med to work. So towards the end of my second month I was happier but not completely. The doc At the end of month said to stop the antibiotic and upped my spiro to 75 mg per day. Since then my Month 3 has been great! My skin is smooth,the scars are healing every day and I haven't had a deep cystic pimple in weeks!! I have been keeping a photo journal and it's crazy to look back and now at my skin. I'm not sure how Long I will stay on but I am definitely pleased. Along with the spiro I have been using a prescrip face wash, wipes, and adapalenegel at night. Keeping your skin clear is definitely a commitment and is worth all the effort when you see the good results. Because I've battled with this my whole life, I know how it feels to have bad skin and it's the worst feeling! I would definitely recommend spiro and im glad there was something other than accutane to take. Couple cons are feeling like you have to go to bathroom- this was more in beginning. Also Drink a lot of water !! And the one big one is hairloss. My hair has thinned out drastically. I'm hoping once I do stop that it regrows! But I will keep taking this drug as long as possible. It really saved me- I was a mess. ! I wish anyone that take this good luck and just be patient!

Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I've battled hormonal acne since age 10 Currently 22. I've been on every antibiotic and topical cream on the market and even did a course of accutane. I tried to fight the battle the NATURAL way for a year with no improvement. In 12/2014 my acne was the worse it's ever been I was depressed and stayed locked in my house hidden all winter. Finally the derm that I'd been seeing for two years finally stopped wasting my time and referred me to an OBGYN to treat my hormonal acne. 4/2015 I started taking Spiro at 25mg twice daily for two months and saw no results until I upped my dose to 100mg drastic change no more breakouts oil production cut in half my skin is gorgeous scars and all and with my scars fading no more huge pores my skin just continues to improve. It's now been 3 1/2 month's and I will continue to take this amazing med that has made daily life a ton better for me. A couple of weeks ago I started doing the ACV and Indian healing clay mask every 3 days and it's a black head blaster and is great at drawing impurities out of the skin. I may look into chemical peels for the deeper scarring I have but overall I'm happy and grateful to have came across this miracle drug my mood is even better depression is GONE and anxiety greatly reduced. The good out ways the bad for me.

Some tiredness here and there.

Excessive urination at night on some nights after 2nd dose

Some dehydration in the a.m. due to urination at night

Made my period 2 days longer (was 5 days now 7days) but still regular every 25 days.

I may switch up my pill cycle to prevent this. Also this started only when I upped the dose to the 50mg twice daily so my body may still be adjusting.

I love this med and would recommended to anyone

So I'm going back down to 50mg a day because the side effects w/ 100mg have become a bit much my period is now irregular and I've been a bit depressed. Going back to 50mg .

At 50mg the depression is gone but my oil production is back up so I'm getting some clogged pores and some breakouts very mild though. I'm considering upping the dose to 75mg as an attemp to control the oil so the clogged pore breakouts stop. 100mg is the magic dose for 100% clear glowing skin but the side effects are nothing but trouble.

Spiro in someway makes you more woman lol my breast have grown and actually sit better my face and skin looks more smooth/soft I look more girly lbvs not that I've ever looked like a man and I've always been a curvy girl and even my backside sits better. My chin/upper lip hair growth has reduced and when they grow in they're more soft vs coarse as well so there's some positives aside of acne clarity just wanted to share mine

by ko12345 on 07/29/2015 20:16
How long were you on 100mg before you saw results?
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 13:51
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by Meredithdemp on 08/12/2015 14:03
What other side effects did you experience with 100mg
by ed13 on 08/13/2015 04:32
I am in the same spot as you, but I am still breaking out- want to go back to 50, wondering how ur doing and what side effects u had
This stuff is awesome, but it's not a quick fix!
Reviewed on August 27, 2015

I am a 23 year old female who has been suffering from acne since before puberty. My acne runs the gamut from blackheads to whiteheads to severe cysts. I went on an oral contraceptive when I was a teenager and that helped keep my skin clear for a few years, but about a year ago my cystic acne returned with a vengeance. I would say it was worse than it had ever been, and nothing topical was helping, so I went to my dermatologist. She explained that spironolactone is a good option for women who are out of the teen years, but are still dealing with considerable hormonal acne. She started me on a dose of 150mg of spiro a day, along with a course of doxycycline and a topical retinoid (Ziana). The important thing to remember about spiro is it takes a while to kick in, so please don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. I continued to break out pretty bad for the first two months I was on it, even while taking the antibiotic. But then suddenly it was like the spiro had just been building up and finally started to kick in and work its magic. My breakouts slowed dramatically, and I discontinued the doxy. I take 100mg of spiro in the morning and 50mg in the evening (it is a diuretic, so it's better to take your higher dose earlier in the day to prevent waking up at night to pee), and am using the retinoid twice a week. My skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. My skin's oil production has slowed down too, which is a great bonus. I still struggle with some blackheads in my t-zone, but my cystic acne is 99% gone, and that's my main concern (I can treat my blackheads, but cysts have always been an uphill battle).

Side effects (THAT I NOTICED):

*The biggest one for me is dizziness. Spiro lowers your blood pressure, which isn't dangerous in itself, but it's just something to be aware of because it can cause you to feel light-headed. If I am dehydrated when I take it, I can get dizzy and am prone to really bad head rushes when I stand up. But if I make sure to take my spiro with water and some food, I don't really have that problem. I have found that if I get dizzy, eating something salty helps a lot.

*The first few months I had some issues with tiredness for a few hours after taking my doses, but it seems I have gotten over that now.

*I drink a ton of water and I am used to going pee more than the average woman, so the diuretic effect doesn't really bother me. But I imagine it might be annoying for some people.

I would recommend this to anyone, but just know that it's not a quick fix! It will most likely take some time to work for you. Be patient and you will see good results!

by ko12345 on 08/27/2015 16:51
I am just at my 2.5 month marker (1+ month on 50mg, and now most recently 1+ month on a dose of 100mg). At what month marker did you start dramatically clearing?