Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1162 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

On Spiro for 7 years, too reliant on it
Reviewed on February 28, 2017

Hey guys - apologies for the very long review!

I always read these reviews and I figured I may as well share my story since I've been on Spiractin (Spironolactone) for over 7 years now.

When I was a teenager my skin was pretty great, I had a few little pimples every now and then, but nothing too extreme. Then at the age of 19, while I was living overseas in London at the time (I'm from a woman from Australia), my skin started to get a lot of painful pimples around my jaw line and cheeks. They worsened over a few months and eventually became full on red, painful under the skin acne. I had no idea how to treat this, so I bought Pro Activ. Probably the worst thing I could have done, it only made my skin more irritated and red.

When I came home from London, it was summer time over here. With a lot of sun and ocean swims my skin started to clear up and eventually it was back to normal. However, as soon as summer disappeared my acne came back with sore, under the skin pimples.

I went to a dermatologist and he instantly put me on 100mg of spironolactone and on the Yasmin pill. I suffered bad side-effects of being on such a high dosage of Spiro straight away, so he took the dose down to 25mg, moving up 25mg every 3 months. Eventually I was on 100mg. I started to notice that my body was not reacting well to the Yasmin pill, my skin was actually worsening from the Yasmin so I took myself off it and continued on 100mg of Spiro.

After stopping Yasmin, my period didn't come back for 3 years - this is a side effect of being on Spironolactone.

I started to notice my skin would become accustomed to the dosage of Spiro I was taking, so I started to increase my dosage so it would continue to work for me.

At the age of 25 I was on 200mg of Spiro (taking it at night time so the dehydration I would get from the drug wouldn't effect me during the day). The 200mg started to stop working and i was seeing pimples that i would never have gotten previously, like forehead pimples and big under the skin pimples under my eyebrows. I upped my dosage to 250mg of Spiro and this worked really well, however I noticed my breasts were larger and I'd put on a bit of weight around my hips.

I also got my period back, but it was random and sporadic, sometimes it would be every 1-2 weeks, sometimes it would be every month.

Because my period schedule was all over the place I decided to lower my dosage. I instantly dropped it back down to 200mg, my skin was fine. So i continued to lower it down to 175mg. My skin started to worsen and I noticed a lot of small bumps on my chin and my face was a bit oily. I lowered it down to 150mg after about 3 months on 175mg. My skin worsened almost instantly. After 2 months of being on 150mg I went back up to 200mg and my skin became clear again, with the occasional few pimples and bumps after a big weekend or something.

I also stopped getting my period again.

Now, I'm 27 years old. I was on 200mg of Spiractin and my skin has started to worsen again, I've started getting sore pimples along my jaw line (something which hasn't been an issue for years!), I always have bumps on my forehead which don't pop or come to a head, they just sit under the skin.

Yesterday I increased my dosage to 225mg to see if my skin will go back to normal again.

I still haven't had a period - so it's been about a year since my last period.

Conclusion: I rely on this drug far too much now. I have tried everything, from going vegan, exercising often, detoxing, Vitamin A serums, Vitamin C serums, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, etc. But nothing has worked like Spironolactone has.

I would recommend going on this drug if you are ok with knowing you will most likely be reliant on it for the rest of your life, or at least until menopause (you need to go off Spiro if you want to get/are pregnant, which means your acne will come back during that time).

I would recommend going to see a Naturopath first and trying to sort out your hormonal imbalance naturally before jumping onto this medication. I wish someone had told me to do that when I was younger so I wasn't so reliant on this drug.

It's been a lifesaver for my acne, but also an inconvenience on having to adjust the dosage every year or so.

I'm lucky that the only side effects I've experienced is an irregular or no period and some breast tenderness/enlargement.

Inactive ingredients matter
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

Warning: long but worth it!!!

I like many others here have tried and been on everything under the sun. Tried topicals, tried natural, tried prescription. After doing accutane for years and miraculously getting “clear”, I went off of it, My skin stayed clear for a while and I was honestly just super happy to not have drugs in my system. When I hit 33, something in my body went haywire and my acne flared up worse than ever before. I was devastated. Not to mention, I was recently married, started thinking about a family etc. But I was just incredibly embarrassed, most of all in front of my new hubby.

Of course, I went to dr, explained that I had been on accutane before and although I was happy with the result, I was nervous about it and its side effects now. He prescribed me 25 mg. of Spiro, saying that likely this was a bout of hormonal acne at its worse, we could get on this and clear me up quick. Hindsight - I wish I had not just accepted what he said as truth and done some homework because if I had, I would have realized that there are even more potential side effects with spiro than even accutane!

So fast forward a couple of months, I was up to 75mg daily and my entire outlook on life has changed… for the worse. My acne was still terrible and in addition I now had daily stomach cramps so severe I had had to stay home from work, I was nauseous nearly every day (nope! not pregnant!) and on top of it all, my sex drive was near to nothing when before I couldn’t get enough of my husband. It was unbearable.

Desperate for answers, I started looking up side effects for this drug and sure enough! After doing my research I was just so upset with myself for allowing someone to convince me to put something so vile into my system. Chemicals have side effects and most likely, if you start a prescription YOU WILL BE ON IT FOR LIFE. There is no “cure” for acne so even if people here say it worked for them, it will only work if they take it. And by taking it, they are allowing some pretty terrible stuff into their bodies.

Now I am no hippy and I absolutely know from experience that the natural route for acne doesn’t work. But I have now drawn the line in the sand when it comes to prescriptions. No more!

In my newfound vigor and pissed-off-ness, I dug in deeper to solutions. From all testimonials, benzoyl peroxide is the best bet BUT you want to find a company that doesn’t have to add a lot of oils and preservatives which makes the benzoyl less effective. Once I read that, a light went off in my head. Why proactive had never worked for me, why Rodan and Fields hadn’t worked, Mario Badescu, Cetaphil, Neutrogena…. you name it, I have tried it and nothing worked. But they are all HUGE and obviously their products have to have a lot of preservatives. Try getting a list of all the INactive ingredients in most big names brands. Pretty tough to find! But look out for stuff like DimethiconeAcrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate cross polymer, isopropyl myristate, stearic acid and well loads of other ones. The names themselves are a mouthful and that is why people ignore them. But once you know what to look for, everything starts to make more sense.

I got more into researching. Finding companies that don’t use preserving oils is hard to find, let me tell you! I encountered a couple and called them. Exposed nearly convinced me but the one that impressed me the most was one you probably have never heard of, Ninja Skincare. The care they took with me to fully explain what was going on with me, my body, my face was truly unreal. Based on that alone, and some pretty impressive reviews, I gave them a shot. Now, 3 months later, after 2 full years of searching, my face is clear!!!! Any time I have questions, I literally text them and get a response within an hour. I have never bought products from a company like this before and would recommend them to absolutely anyone!!! Give them a shout, you won’t be disappointed!

Still unsure!
Reviewed on February 8, 2017

I have been using spironolactone for nearly 2.5 months now. I start in Nov. 2016 and have been taking 100mg per day before going to bed. I have not experienced drastic side effects like some people luckily, so I've tolerated the medication well. I haven't not seen an improvement yet :/ I am sticking it out for 3 months though before my next check up with the Dermatologist. I know it takes time for it to build up in your system, but when I talked to my dermatologist the other week she felt that there should be SOME sort of improvements by now even if they are small. This is so hard to measure though unless you're taking pictures. Hoping that this is the solution though and sticking it out is worth it!

Spiro- 3 weeks in
Reviewed on February 6, 2017

Hi!

This is the first time I have ever posted a review on here, but I am really excited to be trying Spiro finally. I have been experiencing breakouts since I was 14 (I am now 23) and literally have tried absolutely everything in the book. Some treatments temporarily cleared me up but initially dried out my skin so much they ended up causing even more breakouts. Finally I decided that my breakouts must be hormonal, possibly a sympton of PCOS. I have been on ortho tri cylen lo for about a year and it has helped reduce some of the breakouts but not all. That's when my gyno recommended trying Spiro. I am currently taking 50 mg a day and am 3 weeks in. I know it takes much longer than this to see the full results but so far it hasn't been that bad. I had a little bit of a breakout the first week I took it- but as of right now it seems to be clearing my skin. Has anyone had the initial breakout come after the first month of taking it?

Also my skin is dryer than normal right now but I'm hoping that evens out once my body adjusts to the Spiro even more. I will right another review in a few weeks with an update! Good luck to everyone trying this- I'm praying it works.

Took a Little Time, but Totally Worth It
Reviewed on January 25, 2017

I was on spiro for about 4-5 months before it FINALLY started to work. I had mild-moderate acne before, which i had under control for 3 years on Doxycycline. Of course, you can't be on antibiotics forever so I was taken off of Doxy and it came back full force. Then my derm put me on spiro and i started out at 25mg, which wasn't enough. I was bumped up to 50mg (once per day) after 2 months, which cleared everything right up! I never thought anything would work as well as Doxycycline at clearing my acne, but I get even fewer occassional pimples now than I did on antibiotics! I was on birth control for 3 years before I took spiro (and I'm still on it), so I think that really helped minimize side effects.

by GoldenLove on 02/06/2017 04:37
Hi! Thanks so much for your review. It gives me hope lol. I am currently 3 weeks in on taking Spiro and haven't had too many negative side effects yet. I was just curious if you had an initial breakout with this? I haven't yet so I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if it's coming lol.
Awful Experience
Reviewed on January 22, 2017

As we can all see the incredible 5 star reviews obviously means this works for some women. But for myself it wasn't even close to being a pleasant experience. Im not exaggerating , I had to pee ALL the time. I drank a ton of water because I had a terribly dry mouth . I also had no appetite ( I normally LOVE food) . My cycle this month was the worst I had in my entire life, I had a migraine , vomited and cramps like no other. I went back to my dermatologist and she said this is clearly not the drug for me. I am already feeling better and only been off of it for 3 days. ( for those of you wondering about more detail as to what dosage and how long I was on it : I was on 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks and then 75mg for a week before stopping it.) I wouldn't recommend this because #1 my experience and #2 you'll have to be on this for life if it does end up working for you, at first i didn't really think that far ahead as I really just want my skin to be clearer but I really would prefer not to be on a pill for the rest of my life that messes with my body the way it did. But its worked for so many women so its always worth a try if you want to.

Time and Patience
Reviewed on January 21, 2017

I am a 38 year old female who has had fluctuating acne for over 22 years. My acne piqued about 4 years ago. I'm talking persistent, mind numblingly painful cystic acne on my chin, jawline and unto my neck, they reproduced and had babies all over my face, forehead and anywhere there was room, including on top of each other (ouchie!!). My face was an oil field requiring face blotting every hour. I had been on the BP regimen for years prior but it did nothing for the the cysts when they came full force seemingly out of nowhere. I still thank the BP regimen for years and years of controlled acne, so no resiment here, it just wasn't a match for for my spastic hormones. I needed a systemic fix, not just topical.

A sidebar to reflect on some facts of life:

1) We live in a society that demands a quick fix. You see it all over TV, radio, etc... But the reality is quite different. It took years and years of imbalance for your hormones to turn spastic for a plethora of reasons (age, genes, family history, environment, diet, etc). Your hormonal acne and the underworkings did not just suddenly happen although it feels that way. So give Spirinolactone at least that same amount of time to do its job. It's a systemic drug. It needs to be given months and months of tweaking with the dosage before you can expect it to work.

2) Manage your expectations. This med worked for me but it is not a miracle drug. I had a horrendous initial breakout once the dosage was increased. I was a hermit for months. I started at the lowest dosage and that did nothing for me other than make me go pee a lot. Painfully and slowly, my derm increased the dosage to the max allowed which is 100mg twice a day. That was 8 months ago. I continued to pee a lot, my oil production was cut by 90% , I had headaches, my period was coming every two weeks and my acne decreased by 85%. I was persistent. Even though I wanted to quit because I wanted perfect, glowing skin and microscopic pores right now (see bullet point #1 ;))!

3) At 8 months out with the 200mg daily dose and having been on this med for almost 2 years with incremental dosage increases, I now have zero oil which requires copious amounts a daily moisturizer (because I'm dry now 🙂). I still get a few pimples around ovulation and my period. I still pee a lot but I'm used to it now. Headaches are gone once my body got used to the increase in dosage. My period has normalized although my cycles are shorter but the flip side is that my periods are lighter. Win/win.

4) Quality of life: improved! I still have a few pimples but I'm ok w that. I have improved 90% overall and I can live w that considering where I started.

Conclusion: Be patient ladies. Hormonal acne is vicious and soul sucking but you are not alone and you can push through! These blogs and positive reviews inspired me and helped me suck it up on days I just wanted to stay in bed and eat lime flavored chips all day long 🙂. I promised myself I would pay it forward and write a review once my acne was under control. If only to inspire one person to push through and be persistent with the medication, I feel like it was worth it. Each individual person has to reach their own conclusion on the risk/benefit of any drug they are taking. There is no risk-less medication out there, do your due diligence, inform yourself and be comfortable in your decision. Most importantly, remember that you are not alone and there are others out there dealing with the same thing. I'm sending you all happy vibes and a wish for glowing, acne free, with maybe the occasional little pimple 😉 Skin!

Persevere, you got this!

by GoldenLove on 02/06/2017 04:40
Hi! Thank you so much for this amazing review. I was wondering if you got an initial breakout with this and if so did you get it right away or later on? I am 3 weeks in and haven't had one yet.
Desperate...
Reviewed on January 19, 2017

First of all, I apologize for my English which is not very good because I am French.

I am 23 years old, I have been taking the Jasmine pill for 5 years and I have never had acne in my teens.

Since June, acne has invaded my face only but very importantly with medium-sized white buttons and a rough set.

All summer I lived the hell you trying all the parapharmacie creams ...

In September I went to see a dermatologist who put me under Doxiciline and, from the first week, I had practically nothing any more I did not believe ...

Then every week I had hundreds of small pimples that grew on the chin and lower cheeks. The dermatologist believing that I was having an allergic reaction to the sun, prescribed cortisone cream ... Indeed it worked rather well, but it came back every week again and again until the day it no longer had any effect .. .

I started to develop acne on the forehead and days again.

I therefore go back to consult this dermatologist who made me do a biopsy (thinking that it could be a mushroom of the repeated use of cortisone cream) which demonstrated the absence of fungi. I also did a hormonal blood test showing no abnormality either ... She did not know what to do for me ...

So she sent me to a colleague who specializes in acne.

My acne covered my face, forehead and cheeks with a grainy set, buttons bigger than others not piercing and an oily layer.

This new dermatologist then prescribed Spironolactone in addition to my 4th generation Jasmine pill to control androgens.

After 5 weeks at 100mg no results except that the oily aspect has disappeared. My skin is always covered with this grainy layer with pimples at the bottom of the cheeks and in the middle of the forehead.

As for the side effects that this medicine gives me I would say that I go to the toilet every hour but it is not really annoying (well it would not be if I had good results on my skin ...). I lost 2kg being already very lean it is all the same boring ... So I drink a lot of water to compensate for this loss.

After 5 weeks at 100mg without results, I went back to see the dermatologist who passed me at 150mg a day ...

It is now a week that I take this dose, and I really feel tired, dizzy, nauseated ... If the results on my face would be visible I will take on me without problem.

But you forget no results. Always this rough coat and those bigger buttons on the front and lower cheeks.

And still as many tears every day for two months now ...

Do you think this is normal that after 6 weeks under Spironolactone there are no results?

I see your opinions and this drug is prescribed to adult women having acne with big cysts which is not my type of acne. Can Spironolactone work on my type of acne?

While knowing that I have no visible hormonal disorder on the blood tests ...

Thank you for your answers ...

by girlvle on 01/23/2017 17:25
It took 5 months for me to see clearing. 6 weeks probably not enough time, plus also every time I upped the dose it got worse before better. Give it more time. I don't know about your type of acne and spiro unfortunately.
by Julia2626 on 01/23/2017 19:09
Thank you so much for your answer Girlvle ! I took Spiro for 8 weeks and no results for that moment... Have a good evening :)
by Shwetaskyd on 01/31/2017 21:33
Hey even I am on my third month. Just completed the second one I think we should wait.let's be positive. :)
Spiro
Reviewed on January 18, 2017

Hi. I am a 21 year old female with hormonal acne. All throughout college I have dealt with non stop acne on my chin and mouth area. After trying many different birth controls and topicals I was beginning to feel like I couldn't do it on my own. I have been on 100 mg for a month and my skin has transformed. It definetly got worse before it started getting better. Please understand that this pill is no joke I have lost 7 pounds and my appetite. I am hoping that after 6 months I can start to slwoly go off of it. For the time being tho the results are great.

Acne completely gone!
Reviewed on January 17, 2017

Perfectly clear skin now! Haven't had skin this good since I was a child!

It doesn't work overnight, it really kicked in at about the 2-3 month mark, but absolutely it worked for my constant hormonal cystic acne which I've had for years!

by Katm30w on 01/17/2017 11:22
PS. My dermatologist said going on this would mean I wouldn't feel like I needed to wear make up anymore and she is abolsuteky right, this completely cleared my skin and I've stopped wearing foundation all together!