Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1080 reviews
Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spironolactone

My Spiro Journey (weekly update)
Reviewed on February 21, 2015

I'm really hoping it works! I've been on Accutane, but that was 5 years ago. Since then, my skin never came back to what it used to be. For, 4 years i had pretty flawless skin, but this last year i had a hard time trying to fix my skin. So here i am, still trying to fix it actually. Let's see if it works!

Keep in mind i have fair to medium skin, with yellow undertones and it used to be SUPER (cant stress this enough) oily skin, but thanks to Accutane i have combination skin now.

IM SORRY ABOUT MY ENGLISH, IM FROM BRAZIL :)

***WEEK 1: breaking out a little more than usual; no noticeable reduction in oiliness; pimples healing INSANELY fast even though i get new ones almost everyday; terrible headache in the first day (so i don't even know if it was because of spiro)

***WEEK 2 (PMS week): at the beginning of this week i was breaking out like crazy but in the last 4 days i got only one small pimple; NOTICEABLE reduction in oiliness; pimples healing reeeally fast; terrible stomachache yesterday

***WEEK 3: skin was doing GREAT at the beggining of this week, but 3 days ago i started breaking out again, it's not a huge breakout though; NOTICEABLE reduction in oiliness; pimples healing fast; my period didn't come this month

***WEEK 4: skin was doing GREAT but today i got a new pimple, a big one, but it is smaller than the huge cysts i was getting before i started Spiro; noticeable reduction in oiliness; pimples healing fast

***WEEK 5: skin healing from horrible breakout i had this last weekend (maybe beacause i upped my dose to 150mg); noticeable reduction in oiliness; pimples healing fast

***WEEK 6 (PMS week): skin is doing GREAT, it feels like it was purging and now there is nothing more to come out; INCREDIBLE reduction in oiliness; pimples healing fast

***WEEK 7: skin was almost flawless in the beginning of this week but since yesterday i got 2 pimples (one medium and one small); incredible reduction in oiliness; pimples healing fast

***WEEK 8: awesome skin!!! NO new pimples this week (since i haven't reached the 3 months mark, there's a chance i break out again though); oiliness is GONE; pimples healing fast

* * * WEEK 9: FLAWLESS skin ( better than when i was on Accutane!!!!!!!!!); oiliness is gone; can't tell if pimples are healing fast because i haven't got any new pimple this 2 last weeks

by adwhite17 on 02/22/2015 00:22
I started Spironolactone a little more than month ago for my hormonal acne, and I was told by my doctor to be extremely patient with it, as it could take months before I see any effects. As far as your breakout, it seems a bit soon and could just be your skin misbehaving. Good luck and do keep us posted!
by Natalia P on 04/18/2015 22:00
Hi I was just wondering did you experience any weight gain, at all, from the spire?
Love spiro...
Reviewed on April 12, 2015

This has been my savior. I started breaking out as a teenager and struggled up until age 30 with persistent break outs. In college, I probably should have been on accutane. I have tried everything under the sun; every regimen and product. Some would work for the short term but then the acne would just pop up again. I went to numerous dermatologists who always prescribed a lousy drying product with a bogus antibiotic. It was an endless cycle. After turning 30, I couldn't handle having acne anymore. I researched a TON online and speculated that I could have PCOS....(when I was 18, I stopped getting a period for 8 months. I was told it was because I had low body weight and was a Division 1 athlete, I was put on the birth control pill....which helped a bit). The BCP basically masked the fact that I had PCOS. So... fast forward to age 30, I tell my OBGYN what I'm thinking and sure enough, I have PCOS! I have been taking spiro for a year and half now and I haven't had any break outs. Maybe the beginnings of one tiny pimple but then it magically disappears. My skin is smooth, glowing and I don't even wear make up, just a little bronzer...people ask me what I use and tell me I have amazing skin-it's extraordinary. I always say thank you and am flattered but little do they know the pain and torture I went through for years. For me, the spiro kicked in right away....I would say withthin two weeks my skin was flawless. It was truly miraculous. My only hope is that this medication is safe long term because I won't be going off....

Takes a bit of time to start working.
Reviewed on April 7, 2015

truly the only thing that has helped the cysts that would not quit appearing on my chin. It's a wonder drug for me, with no side effects whatsoever.

In love
Reviewed on March 25, 2015

THIS IS A MIRACLE. Ive tried everything from proactiv to clindamycin gel, nothing worked. I would say that my acne is moderate. I was put on a topic cream that broke my face out horribly. I refused to leave the house. I set up an appt with my derm and she started me on 25mg of spironolactone. In one week I saw results, I'm now about 3 weeks into taking spiro and i haven't seen my skin this clear in A WHILE! I just ended my menstrual cycle so i did break out a bit from that.. but Im so happy with the results. I now feel confident again. I finally found my miracle drug. I can't wait to see the results in the next few weeks!!!!

Question: One week in...
Reviewed on March 24, 2015

When should I expect the initial breakout? (anyone not get this?)

I'm on 100mg spiro and adapalene, day 7. My face already has greatly improved - I assume from the topical. Like 80% clearer on the jaw and cheeks. But I wait... and dread... this initial breakout everyone talks about. Is it too bad to leave the house? I'd love to hear from some 'survivors'! thanks for sharing everyone.

Push for the higher doses,..if possible.
Reviewed on March 18, 2015

I have been taking 200 mgs daily of Spironolactone since December 2014. In the initial start of the treatment, which for me was at 100 mgs daily, I noticed a big improvement in the oiliness of my face and quantity of breakouts. That paired with Epiduo first then just the Adapalene quotient later, I am literally clear of all acne and blackheads & whiteheads. In figuring out exactly what the magic number was for me regarding how much Spiro to take, the 1st month-100mgs daily, the 2nd month-150 mgs daily, 3rd month-200 mgs daily.

Because I have issues with PCOS and Endometriosis my dermatologist, who normally winces and the higher doses, has been gracious enough to allow me to take this much but not without the required testing-monthly, dietary restrictions to reduce potassium levels and increased water intake. I do not mind at all if I have to change what I eat, drink more water and give blood all the time, I will happily, to maintain my acne free skin. A month between doses was merely to appease my derm because I saw results within a two week time span, like another reviewer stated. I use CeraVe AM & PM moisturizing formulas and rotate the foaming and moisturizing wash daily with nighttime Adapalene application. I feel like maybe 50 mgs more just might take me over the top but... Its hard to find a derm who will agree to that much...maybe I'll ask my gyno since he does know my history.

Either way, I am extremely happy with this med and encourage others to try the higher doses if what they are currently taking is not working, if at all possible, but do be aware that it will require a lifestyle change. This is not something you apply to your face with abandon, its a very potent medication with its own very dangerous side effects. Also, do your own research with regards to the absolute maximum amount to be taken for HORMONAL acne, I think its near the 400mg mark, its also used for Hirsutism, edema, etc, etc and since MOST derms will not give you more than 100 mgs daily, do search for one that will AT LEAST LET YOU TRY THE HIGHER DOSES before saying no.

I could not believe the trouble I had in finding someone who would at least give my body the chance to see if it worked for me, before flat out denying it. While it is a serious med, it is not Accutane, it is not a long term antibiotic or anything else that might be worse for my body and while I understand the benefits, I also understand the dangers, and was willing to undertake the changes I had to make in order to continue taking it at this dosage. Not many are willing or are capable, which is why I think there is some resistance and why it caps off at 100 mgs for most people.

I did my own research on the drug and feel it is relatively safe compared to some other more harmful drugs that are being prescribed. That is my own opinion. Yes, I was prescribed the Solodyn, I was given the Aczone, I did get a lot of very harmful products to take for my HORMONAL acne but refused them all because of the research I found on them. I refused to take a lot of things and have not found a solution until now. In fact, it is the only thing I take for my acne now, aside from the Adapalene and my face, my skin, is beautiful. More so now than in my 20s.

Bio: female, 38, 133lbs-down from 145 @ start of Spiro, Cystic acne since age 12, PCOS/Endometriosis diagnosed in 2013. My acne has been completely hormonal and due to my condition. No other issues exist.

Stay patient and hopeful
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

I never feel the need to write reviews but after dealing with acne I feel I must. I am 20 yrs old and never really had acne until I was about 18. This past year it got worse. My jawline and cheeks were constantly broken out. After seeing three dermatologists over the years NOTHING worked until my latest one. Blood work showed my testosterone levels were high (even though I am a girl) and that was most likely the cause of my acne. She prescribed me solodyn 12 weeks ago and I began the spironolactone 3 weeks later. My face was still breaking out up until about last week. I do have to say the breakouts have not been as bad but I was losing hope of ever getting clear skin. The two prescriptions I believe are working really well together. I am very impatient and it was hard for me to accept that "it gets worse before it gets better." Trust me, it sucks. But honestly stick with it! Waiting three months is nothing compared to never having a clear face. I am finally seeing results after 12 weeks and am glad I did not give up. On 55 mg of solodyn once a day and 50 mg of spironolactone twice a day (total= 100 mg of spiro total) and am a 124 lb girl. No horrible side effects. Coming from the most impatient person ever, stay patient!

by peacelover on 03/17/2015 13:35
Should also mention that I cleanse with Cerave and moisturize with the same brand. Simple but I love it because it is not too harsh on my skin and feels refreshing.
I need help finding a moisturizer!
Reviewed on March 13, 2015

I have been on 100 mg of spiro for maybe 3 months now in addition to Tazorac. The initial breakout for me was awful and lasted maybe 2 months or so. By the 3rd month my skin started clearing up more but then my dermatologist stupidly forgot to refill my prescription (despite me contacting him dozens of times to renew it). Anyway, I was off spiro for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got extremely bad, even worse than before I started spiro. I am back on now and I think I am going through an initial breakout again but I am hoping my skin clears up faster than the first time I started this med. The fact that I was only off this med for maybe 2 weeks and my skin got so bad worries me because I am afraid I will develop a dependency on this medication, which will be a problem in the future when I decide to have children.

My biggest problem with this medication is that my skin is so dry! I don't know how I can get my skin to not be so dry. I have been using CeraVe Hyrdrating cleanser, Garnier Cleansing Oil for very dry skin, and CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizer and somehow my skin is STILL incredibly dry. During the day I also wear a BB Cream on top of the CeraVe PM but my skin is still dry within an hour. I have no idea how to help this so if anyone has any recommendations for cleansers, moisturizers, BB Creams, or Foundations I would be so grateful!!!

by HayleeG on 03/14/2015 09:33
I am on the exact prescription's you are but with Duac in the mornings. I started using the PM and AM CeraVe but also added the CeraVe moisturizing cream sold in the tub for Normal to Dry skin. I slather that on in the AM and PM. It really works great because I have very dry skin now compared to how it used to be oily all the time. I also just started using Covergirl & Olay Tone Rehab Foundation/Base. Works great for covering old acne spots. Hope that helps.
Miracle
Reviewed on March 12, 2015

I am 31 and have been trying and failing acne treatment since age 12. I have been on everything... accutane, antibiotics, birth control as method for acne control, every single topical agent out there (Ziana working the best, Epiduo coming in second), and all with very little success. Finally I had a doctor prescribe me Spironolactone. I saw improvement in the first 30 days at 100mg, more than other oral prescriptions, but not a complete cure. After giving the drug some time to work, the doc raised my prescription to 150mg. In 2 weeks I was practically clear- having one zit that popped up while PMSing. It's been amazing. Now it's been a month since the increased dosage and my skin looks really good. I have some scars/small bumps that hung around but they are fading very quickly. I am using Epiduo topically a few days a week as that reduces dark spots wonderfully. When I use it more than 3 days a week my skin gets too dry.

Spiro was my miracle drug- hope it works a second time!
Reviewed on March 4, 2015

I began taking spironolactone about 3 years ago after a course of Accutane that produced only temporary results. I took 50 and then 100 mgs a day and it did wonders! Over the course of about 6 months, I had gone from 4-6 cystic pimples to completely clear skin. My dark marks had faded and I was able to live life like a normal human being for the first time in my life. I ran errands, went to the gym, and hung out with my boyfriend all without a stitch of makeup-- something I never believed would be possible for me after suffering from moderate-severe acne for 10 years.

I decided in May of last year to go off the medication. I incorrectly thought that maybe my hormones had leveled out by 26 years old and that didn't have to take the spiro anymore. Life was great for 6 months after going off spiro but then I began to break out again. I wouldn't say worse than before, but about the same as before spiro. I began taking the med again last December and after almost 3 months my skin has definitely improved but I still have at least 2 cysts and a gaggle of little pimples at any given time. Of course there are a ton of new scars that will take forever to heal. I'm hoping that spironolactone will again work for me and I can feel human again. It's really depressing to feel like you always have to hide.

Summary:

In terms of it's effectiveness, I give spironolactone a RESOUNDING 5 stars. This stuff really really worked for me! For those of us with hormonal acne who do not want to use (or re-use) Accutane, it might be the only option- and thank god it's a good one. The only reason why I subtracted a star is because it's not a long term solution. One day I hope to become pregnant and I will have to stop using the drug. I wonder if it's worth it to use a drug as a band-aid, or if I should be investing my time in longer-term solutions that I can utilize indefinitely? Maybe it's worth it to do a second course of Accutane if it means curing my acne for good. For now, I will stick with the spiro and hope that my hormones level out on their own.

by moondrop on 03/12/2015 06:53
Accutane didn't work for me at all! I am glad you have had luck with spiro. I don't know your dosage, and I am not a doctor, but maybe once you level out you can reduce your dosage? You would have to go off the medication while pregnant, but could start again later. Your hormones will be crazy when you're pregnant anyway, so you might react differently if you were to stay on the pill during pregnancy (which is a huge no because it's bad for the baby- just a what if situation there). I hope you don't need it in the long run!